Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I would hope pregnancy isn't in the plans for Trina anytime soon. You wanna talk cliches. Trina ending up pregnant the first time she has sex is the biggest cliche in the book! It's 2023, let's not go there. Trina is 20-years old. I want Trina to finish school and start her career before she has a baby. She can have a healthy sex life for the next few years and not experience any pregnancy scares. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

we just saw the first night though

I will be legit surprised if Spencer and Trina don't have to head back to PC early.

54 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Trina ending up pregnant the first time she has sex is the biggest cliche in the book!

GH has never been one to shy away from the biggest clichés in the book.  

That said, I wish something about birth control/condoms had been mentioned. Even without the pregnancy angle, STIs are still a thing, Show.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

I would hope pregnancy isn't in the plans for Trina anytime soon. You wanna talk cliches. Trina ending up pregnant the first time she has sex is the biggest cliche in the book! It's 2023, let's not go there. Trina is 20-years old. I want Trina to finish school and start her career before she has a baby. She can have a healthy sex life for the next few years and not experience any pregnancy scares.

It would be a cliche for the show but it happens, no matter what year it is. I am not sure why it would be a pregnancy "scare" since a college student should know that having unprotected sex can cause babies and sometimes even with protection. The possibility is there, every single time. I dislike the mindset that pregnancy is beyond the control and responsibility of those who have sex, thus calling it pregnancy scares, etc.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

What disappoints me about this story is that it's such a giant cliché from start to finish. Rich boy sweeps girlfriend off her feet for a trip to the big city (which, LOL, they don't even have to leave the state!), wines and dines her, takes her to a show, then they have rhapsodic sex complete with rose petals. Zzzz. No imagination, sigh.

You've reminded me of when Peter wanted to take Maxie to Paris but they ended up in a Toronto hotel room (not even Montreal or Quebec city) eating charcuterie. Now that was  an imagination disappointment.

• LOL 8
21 minutes ago, susannah said:

I dislike the mindset that pregnancy is beyond the control and responsibility of those who have sex, thus calling it pregnancy scares, etc.

I was using the words of the person I was responding to but I agree that pregnancy is not beyond anyone's control, which is why a pregnancy story for Trina immediately after having sex would be insulting and a bad way to go. 

@dubbel zout - True, but we could also hear from Trina about the rest of the trip, which is likely gonna include something about art. That's really all I'm saying. It was mentioned on Thursday when they arrived. 

• Like 4
On 9/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, TVbitch said:

Pretty sure by next month I will be playing Molly. 

It's a distinct possibility you will be.  The NuMolly Store must be running low on stock by now, and they clearly can't re-purpose the defective returns.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

It's a distinct possibility you will be.  The NuMolly Store must be running low on stock by now, and the clearly can't re-purpose the defective returns.

I am sure they are also running low on Molly accessories, such as "Kristina must be treated like she is the Devil," advanced setting, "But the whole world should care that I want to have a babeeee" default setting, an Alexis doll that says nothing but "Molly, you're perfect," and a boyfriend doll that just says "yes Molly, no Molly."  These have been heavily used by the previous Mollys.

• LOL 8
10 hours ago, susannah said:

I am sure they are also running low on Molly accessories, such as "Kristina must be treated like she is the Devil," advanced setting, "But the whole world should care that I want to have a babeeee" default setting, an Alexis doll that says nothing but "Molly, you're perfect," and a boyfriend doll that just says "yes Molly, no Molly."  These have been heavily used by the previous Mollys.

To quote Larry the Cable Guy: "That right there is funny, I don't care who ya are."🤣😂

ETA: Barbie never had so many high-quality accessories.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

As much as I despise pregnancies, a Trina/Spencer baby has some genuine dramatic possibilities if the show wants to mine them. (Ha! As if!)

As a Nik/Gia fan from back in the day, this might be interesting. (They were such a pretty couple.) But I'm not sure I could handle watching Grandma Portia. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Still catching up, but watching an episode from over a week ago, Selina Wu was on fire, with the actress playing her as almost giddy and kind of slinky while talking to Marshall about how dead the club was and maybe Curtis should take her buyout offer

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, tessaray said:

But I'm not sure I could handle watching Grandma Portia. 

Portia is getting to the point where she might put pregnant Trina into a coma, just to get her away from Spencer.  And then give her quintuplets away to commune dwellers and organ traffickers.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13

Ugh, more woulda, coulda, shoulda from Laura about Nik. Kevin was doing his best to counter all of that, but Laura can't let it go long enough to accept that what Nik does as an adult is all on Nik.

Ferncliffe is as poorly run as the PCPD. There should always be someone at the front desk.

LOL that Kevin admits he's old-fashioned because he printed out boarding passes. JL is one person who gets decent writing on a consistent basis.

I'm glad Valentin is starting to realize Charlotte is messed up (to say the least!), but I wish he were more proactive than just telling Laura her granddaughter is troubled. How about you start talking to her now?

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I haven't watched today yet, did the show get preempted at all for national news?

The 3 p.m showing was fine. But the show will be preempted on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for the MLB wild card games.

Edited by dubbel zout
belatedly fixing redundancy
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Doctor?/nurse? to Sasha: "You were unfocused when you came in yesterday so you're not allowed to leave your room as punishment. (Me: that's the definition of a psychiatric problem. You don't punish people for having an illness.)

That was an excellently adult conversation that Kevin and Laura had. I am going to miss the scab writers.

Sam and later Sonny confronting Gladys was very satisfying. This is where MB hits the right 'tough guy' note, not when he's torturing Dex.

How stupid is Janice? All hospital files are digital now.

Valentin, Nina may have erased the footage but you must know that erasing doesn't necessarily remove the file.

Valentin to Laura: "You ay flying [from Geneva] to London? Any chance you'll be stopping off in Port Charles?"  (Me: Huh?  Have ever seen a map of Europe? I get it that it's a nice turn of phrase but really???)

Charlotte needs Laura. But she needs Kevin maybe more.

I hope that it's Dante at Sasha's door and not Cody. Cody would be too cliche.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:
42 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I haven't watched today yet, did the show get preempted at all for national news?

The 3 p.m showing was find. But the show will be preempted on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for the MLB wild card games.

Ugh. Since my Yankees were eliminated from post-season play a week ago, I'd really rather watch GH, which is really saying something.

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

That was an excellently adult conversation that Kevin and Laura had. I am going to miss the scab writers.

Wasn't it though? I was thinking the exact same thing! We usually get about two or three of those conversations yearly on GH.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Valentin, Nina may have erased the footage but you must know that erasing doesn't necessarily remove the file.

Olivia called the security company to see if there was a copy of the footage on the server (or wherever), and there wasn't one. I'm sure it will conveniently reappear when the plot demands.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, ciarra said:

And then give her quintuplets away to commune dwellers and organ traffickers.

I laughed way harder at this than I probably should have, but that right there is funny.  

24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL that Kevin admits he's old-fashioned because he printed out boarding passes. JL is one person who consistently gets decent writing on a consistent basis.

I think that was an ad lib on JL's part based on Genie's reaction to it.  Those two are seriously the cutest.  Ever.  

Also, that hotel room is what I would have expected from Spencer last week, and not that teeny, tiny little thing he ended up in.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

hope that it's Dante at Sasha's door and not Cody. Cody would be too cliche.

This.  It had better be someone who can do somethign, like Dante or Chase and not Cody or Janice.  This story needs to end now.  Although kudos to Sofia for the amount of physical works she's had to do here, being thrown across the bed, especially only a couple months after giving birth.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

not Cody or Janice

I actually wouldn't mind Janice if she's not going to fall for Montague's b.s. this time. He told her that he was off Sasha's case so there was no reason for him to be at Ferncliffe any more, and that he is away at his GH office. So hopefully if it is Janice at the door, the penny will drop for her.

• Like 5

Anna being BFFs with Sonny is making me ill. Are they maybe gonna go there after he dumps Nina? I guess that would be better than yet another Sonny/Carly go 'round, and they've kind of ruined her anyway. 

Laura needs to resign as Mayor if she is willing to put her duties aside to manage every family crisis that comes up, seeing as though they are pretty much never ending.

• Like 4

I doubt I was the only one who was sad that the chair didn't get Dr. Evil in the head when she threw it at him. I guess he came back to basically kill her.

I doubt that the show will pass up an opportunity to have the Chase actor have scenes with his wife. So I'm thinking this will be both him and Dante showing up to rescue Sasha.

Gladys is shameless. I guess she's about to land in Pentonville with the creepy doctor. 

At least Valentin is trying to figure out a way to help Charlotte. Him saying that Charlotte was being raised by Dante is quite the moment and the confession.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 5
20 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Why is the doctor so obsessed with Sasha? 

He drugged her for the money. When he got what he wanted, he wanted to inject her with something that would make her forget. Now it just seems like he wants to straight up kill her because she can sink him since she escaped and  one person (Cody) that he is aware of knows what he's been up to.

He wants to tie loose ends.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 4
Just now, YaddaYadda said:

He drugged her for the money. When he got what he wanted, he wanted to inject her with something that would make her forget. Now it just seems like he wants to straight up kill her because she can sink him since she escaped and  one person (Cody) that he is aware of knows what he's been up to.

He wants to tie loose ends.

ah i see.

you know I don't think the first thought that should come to my head is, does Sasha really make that much money as a model for Deception (even having some shares or whatever i knowshe's a partner) like they are making that much money? lol. ah well. 

thanks y'all. 

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

ah i see.

you know I don't think the first thought that should come to my head is, does Sasha really make that much money as a model for Deception (even having some shares or whatever i knowshe's a partner) like they are making that much money? lol. ah well. 

thanks y'all. 

It's the Deception stock that makes Sasha a rich woman, not her modelling. She, Lucy and Maxie made a lot of money with their IPO, right when Deception started being a traded company IIRC. Then they made some more with the Deceptor. Gladys wanted to sell some of Sasha's stock to pay off the doctor, but couldn't, so she went to Nina for her help. 

• Like 3

Gladys taking the fur coat she bought while Sasha was drugged just disgusts.  Someone needs to kill her. Accusing Sam of an affair with Cody? There is no keeping this horror of a character.

Why is she lying to Sonny a different story than Nina knows? 

Martin this is a Cassadine teenage girl she can figure out how to burn a house.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The 3 p.m showing was fine. But the show will be preempted on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for the MLB wild card games.

Maybe that will help me finally catch up on episodes or get close to it

On 9/29/2023 at 1:01 PM, KittyQ said:

Yesterdays show: 

Carly asks the Pentonville warden: "What kind of prison are you running here?" Does Carly think that she's talking to a hotel manager? Of course, having prisoners getting beaten is horrible and should never happen, but Carly seems to think that a direct complaint will result in prison reform. 

Port Charles PD: Now here's where someone should wonder what kind of doofus police department they have there. 1) Cody shouldn't have been allowed to observe the interview of the doctor BUT when they were done, they should have given him a heads up to get out of the way, otherwise some kind of altercation could happen (oh my!). 2) PCPD is remarkably efficient in showing up to arrest Sasha when they seem to be out to lunch for most other emergencies.

3) Carly still complaining about Drew being in jail for the crime he (and she) committed - didn't the person who notified the SEC know he could have been killed??? I think IRL, such  relatively low-level insider trading would result in fines and sanctions, not prison time. He isn't Bernie Madoff, after all.

And typically such a sentence would be served at a minimum security federal institution.  Not the state penitentiary.  Although there have been exceptions IRL.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, lala2 said:

And there IS the day after pill.  Plus Trina, whose mother is a prominent physician, would know better.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Plus Trina, whose mother is a prominent physician, would know better.

so do a lot of young women who end up pregnant, or at least thinking they are. The only 100% foolproof method of avoiding pregnancy is not having sex in the first place.

• Like 2
On 10/1/2023 at 12:29 PM, dubbel zout said:

It does, lol. Maybe I'm just an old crone with a piece of coal where my heart should be.

To beat my dead horse one last time, I think Spencer arranging a BTS tour of one of Trina's Big 4 museums would have been super thoughtful, given her love of art. 

Right? I mentioned earlier how fully the room was. I can't believe the show didn't put a tiny bit more effort into the set dressing. 

We haven't gotten to that part yet. We know he's arranged SOMETHING, even if it's just a regular old tour. So he is building the weekend around her interests. 

• Like 3

Show pre-empted today for baseball, so I guess we won't know who is going to rescue Sasha. I am quite sure it isn't Janice, who seems to have a slobbery crush on Dr Evil, and would do anything he said. Now, I'm not an expert, but don't doctors have to be on staff at medical facilities in order to treat any patient there, which Dr M has said he is not, but no one minds that he wanders around there with a foot long syringe in his hand? I so want Gladys to get run over by a bus.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
26 minutes ago, susannah said:

Show pre-empted today for baseball, so I guess we won't know who is going to rescue Sasha. I am quite sure it isn't Janice, who seems to have a slobbery crush on Dr Evil, and would do anything he said. Now, I'm not an expert, but don't doctors have to be on staff at medical facilities in order to treat any patient there, which Dr M has said he is not, but no one minds that he wanders around there with a foot long syringe in his hand? I so want Gladys to get run over by a bus.

Preempted tomorrow as well and possibly Thursday too if the games go that long

1 hour ago, susannah said:

don't doctors have to be on staff at medical facilities in order to treat any patient there, which Dr M has said he is not, but no one minds that he wanders around there with a foot long syringe in his hand?

Doctors can get special or temporary privileges at another hospital. In the case of a psychiatric patient, it makes sense because you want to continue the therapy instead of having someone else do something different.

The thing is thought, Montague shouldn't be treating Sashaed54 at all. He was court-appointed to do an assessment to see if she can get rid of the conservatorship. He should have done the assessment, written the report, handed it in and then disappeared. Treating Sasha is stepping beyond his role.

• Like 5
On 9/30/2023 at 8:33 AM, lala2 said:

Hahaha! My mom also makes similar comments about Jex. 

As a Sprina fan, I loved it! I know most don’t like them here so I wasn’t planning on commenting but I thought it was sweet too! It was also romantic and sexy. It was Trina’s first time so I thought it hit all the right beats! Very beautiful love scene if you ask me but then I like this pairing and think they have a ton of chemistry. I did like the song they used and the montage earlier in the episode. I was a happy viewer yesterday! 

I'm late...just watched Friday's episode today and I loved Sprina too!  I loved the ILYs, I loved how Spencer tried to "wine & dine" Trina.  I loved how he tried to make it special, knowing it was her first time.  I'm a happy Sprina fan right now.

FFWD Carly, Michael, Willow, and Drew...better known as the Carlys.  Its a literal sigh of relief not watching their scenes.

I also liked Joss last week.  I've always liked how she relates to Trina and I was happy Joss brought up the fact that Trina didn't need to be "ok" about the trip being cancelled due to Ace and possible chicken pox.  I think Joss is a good friend (well except to Cameron).

I spent about a month binging grainy GH videos on Youtube, starting with Sonny and Brenda at the car dealership to Brenda accidentally burning Lily's wedding dress lol.  I haven't gone back to it because it just wasn't as good after that.  To try to put it succinctly, IMO Sonny and Brenda, 1994-1996, had the best chemistry ever and most interesting relationship of two very damaged people who were in love.  I used to always credit MB and VM for that and they do deserve some of the credit.  But now, looking back, I have to give the writers about 80% credit for it!  It really starts and ends with good writing.  So all that to say, kudos to the writers and the end of the strike.

Lastly I am really looking forward to Rena Sofer coming back, even if it's just for a short while.  I always LOVED Ned and Lois and I look forward to seeing them interact!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, perkie1968 said:
On 10/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

LOL that Kevin admits he's old-fashioned because he printed out boarding passes. JL is one person who consistently gets decent writing on a consistent basis.

I think that was an ad lib on JL's part - 

the ad lib was probably because he realized how dumb the line was about printing the boarding pass

• LOL 2

It looks like GH is new today! But my TIVO still says MLB Wildcard game (if necessry). I guess they didn't update it. Thought I would warn y'all. I'm gonna have to just record that time slot to record the show.

• Useful 2
On 10/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, dubbel zout said:

How tactful of you, @Daisy! What disappoints me about this story is that it's such a giant cliché from start to finish. Rich boy sweeps girlfriend off her feet for a trip to the big city (which, LOL, they don't even have to leave the state!), wines and dines her, takes her to a show, then they have rhapsodic sex complete with rose petals. Zzzz. No imagination, sigh.

It's not cliche at all yet unfortunately because there's a dark-skinned Black girl in it. The amount of Dark-skinned Black girls getting laid on soaps (not mixed or light-skinned Black Girls) is behind minimal. Not to mention I loved that this was sort of Spencer's vengeance against Rory, hardly the motivation but he is petty like that it was a nice full circle that NYC is where he chose to take her and even the hand-positioning was a callback. To see a Black Girl wined, dined and romanced like this hasn't happened enough on soaps to be cliche but I sure hope we get to that point one day.

I also want to compliment whoever was responsible for the lighting since dark skin is so often lit terribly on soaps and other shows and they did a great job here to let TA's luminous skin shine.

Edited by slayer2
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, slayer2 said:

this was sort of Spencer's vengeance against Rory

Rory's been dead for years. If Spencer is thinking anything about vengeance against him, he's an idiot.

(ETA: I had to look up what happened to Rory. I completely forgot about him, lol.)

• LOL 4

Tracy tells Chase about Gregory’s ALS. I’m sure she’ll get blasted for this but it’s completely ridiculous that they were still keeping it from him, especially once Gregory began telling people like Liz and Tracy. I’m not sure what to think about this running theme about people not believing that Chase can handle bad news so they keep it from him until he finds out in the worst possible way. 

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I’m not sure what to think about this running theme about people not believing that Chase can handle bad news so they keep it from him until he finds out in the worst possible way. 

Right? Chase is a cop (they see the worst of the worst), not a delicate flower. 

• Like 4

Thank goodness Sasha's ordeal is over. Good for Dante plotting with Cody, and Nurse Janice for telling the truth.

Sonny to Gladys: "Stop whining. I told you to stop whining."  I need a T-shirt with that on it.

"Don't touch that luggage. That's Sasha's luggage, she paid for it."  LOL I guess that's the end of both Gladys and Dr. M.

Dante, you can't tell Sasha that she can go home now, she's still under psychiatric orders as is Cody.

Today's show opens with gratuitous shirtless from Chase who took his shirt off but didn't put on a hospital gown to get his eyes flushed out from pepper spray.

Three scenes later, shirtless Spencer in bed with Trina.

Trina, shut up about poor, poor Curtis.

Alexis taking Gregory to hot yoga was sweet. Even more impressive is how his hair remained perfect and dry.

Chase has every right to be angry. I liked how he was answered Tracy while looking daggers at Finn.

Charlotte reads Victor's letter (nice to get CS back to voice it). But she's an idiot if she believes Victor because at this point she knows how treacherous he was.

56 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

(ETA: I had to look up what happened to Rory. I completely forgot about him, lol.)

I had to look up who Rory was.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I’m quite fine with gratuitous bare chests. 😍 

Sonny making Gladys squirm was great but I really wouldn’t have cried at cement shoes for her. She was so selfishly cruel to Sasha that it quickly became unbearable. SM has done a great job with all of it along with giving birth twice. 

I can understand Chase’s sense of betrayal. Personally, I want a misdiagnosis. GH has easy chemistry with NLG. Nothing wrong with a mature couple. 

Sprina was a happy place for me. Loved her huge shopping bag. Ha ha 

• Like 5
  • Love 2