Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Out of all the women who have been pregnant lately, Sasha is literally the only one I'm okay with having a baby. This character has been dragged one way and down the other with no end in sight.

But not with that loser.

It could be worse. It's been like 3 years since Sonny spawned, so he's probably due for another unnecessary child to add to his collection.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3

Liz's great aunt would be another of the nurses, Lucille March, Audrey's sister.  I only vaguely remember her from the late 70's but she was kind of a battleax.

Jessie was more put-upon good girl with turrrrible taste in men. She longed for two things in life: Steve Hardy and to be a mother and she never got either. (Though she did get a nephew in the form of pre-Star Wars Mark Hamill)

As for Esme, I think they should have gone twin instead of redemption through childbirth/amnesia. But the bar for redemption has been set so low on this show, starting with Luke, that I think they're just going to power through it. But I'd rather Avery Pohl return as Renee*, Esme's plucky but moral twin.  Is that a rehash of Ryan/Kevin?  Maybe but I see it as more of a rhyme. And it keeps Esme available as an anything goes chaos agent for the future. 

But yeah, if Esme is sticking around as a viable lead, she's gonna need to do some form of atoning for her crimes. Maybe not even prison - she both can't remember and has shown actual remorse - so give her community service where she has to be a janitor at the hospital. She's humiliated (Liz keeps giving her bedpans, Joss drops her coffee anytime she sees Esme with a mop, etc) But soon she realizes she can now eavesdrop on everyone in town - will her manipulative nature win out?  Of course it will.

* cause Heather loved the Twilight books

Edited by Grinaldi
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
26 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Wait is Olivia supposed to be Mama Qs?

Shut up Cody.

It took me until the biscotti comment to realize he didn’t mean Monica, so i think it is Olivia.  I vaguely recall someone (herself?) bestowing that title on her a while back.

Glad the Victor story is heating back up with Eileen’s involvement and finally circling back to Selina dosing him.  Hopefully this means more Ms. Wu, but more likely means another 3-4 weeks until we see it mentioned again on LL’s next episode.

I couldn’t tell if the Nurses’ Ball discussion at Charlie’s suffered from stilted dialog or poor acting, but it seemed really off.  Reminded me of the scenes several years ago where they did product placement for pasta sauce in affiliation with Go Red for Women day.

Ava/Trina was the clear highlight of the show, but the return of Comet (who I swear farted in one scene) was a nice surprise too.  And LH looked amazing in a flannel shirt and jeans.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, mbluecpa said:

I couldn’t tell if the Nurses’ Ball discussion at Charlie’s suffered from stilted dialog or poor acting, but it seemed really off.  Reminded me of the scenes several years ago where they did product placement for pasta sauce in affiliation with Go Red for Women day.

Oh yeah, I remember Alexis telling someone that Prego Spaghetti Sauce was "the working woman's friend."🤣Like Natasha ever had time to cook something other than Popcorn.😆

Jessie Brewer - I vaguely remember from back when my Mother watched GH and all the Nurses wore those White Caps and the sparkly white, starched uniforms. Seems like eons ago.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Steph J said:

It could be worse. It's been like 3 years since Sonny spawned, so he's probably due for another unnecessary child to add to his collection.

I think Michael has officially taken over the title of spawner of PC. Two children by two different women before the age of 35. Once Willow does something to disappoint him and he dumps her, he'll find himself a new victim to impregnate.

5 hours ago, nilyank said:

Shut up Cody.

He's been calling her that since he met her. It's obnoxious and annoying. Carly is the matriarch of the show and Carly's asskisser is the Q matriarch apparently, even though Monica is still alive.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 5

Can we retcon Michael as Jason's and kill him off? I'll revoke the no-death to legacy clause for this one exception. Especially since Jason isn't so much a Quartermaine as he is a fl*sh-eating disease. Just a suggestion.

10 hours ago, nilyank said:

I wish Ned would keep his legs closed to Bensonhurst trash.

11 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

Liz's great aunt would be another of the nurses, Lucille March, Audrey's sister.  I only vaguely remember her from the late 70's but she was kind of a battleax.

Jessie was more put-upon good girl with turrrrible taste in men. She longed for two things in life: Steve Hardy and to be a mother and she never got either. (Though she did get a nephew in the form of pre-Star Wars Mark Hamill)

As for Esme, I think they should have gone twin instead of redemption through childbirth/amnesia. But the bar for redemption has been set so low on this show, starting with Luke, that I think they're just going to power through it. But I'd rather Avery Pohl return as Renee*, Esme's plucky but moral twin.  Is that a rehash of Ryan/Kevin?  Maybe but I see it as more of a rhyme. And it keeps Esme available as an anything goes chaos agent for the future. 

But yeah, if Esme is sticking around as a viable lead, she's gonna need to do some form of atoning for her crimes. Maybe not even prison - she both can't remember and has shown actual remorse - so give her community service where she has to be a janitor at the hospital. She's humiliated (Liz keeps giving her bedpans, Joss drops her coffee anytime she sees Esme with a mop, etc) But soon she realizes she can now eavesdrop on everyone in town - will her manipulative nature win out?  Of course it will.

* cause Heather loved the Twilight books

And for once it would be a situation where twins actually run in the family. Hurrah continuity, and it would mean this giant baby isn't a Cassadine so my favourite family (second to the Qs) would be safe.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

He's been calling her that since he met her. It's obnoxious and annoying. Carly is the matriarch of the show and Carly's asskisser is the Q matriarch apparently, even though Monica is still alive.

As irritating as it is, I think that the show thinks they have sold Olivia as the Q family matriarch, even though she resents practically everything about them and throws Ned under the bus constantly. Ironically, the only time she was team Ned and defending him at all costs was when he was the evil big business mayor and we were clearly supposed to be rooting against him. 

It’s why they always give her the big Quartermaine speeches about how the family is and their history. I guess we’re supposed to ignore that most of the family was long gone before she and Ned ever got involved so she didn’t exactly witness their family dynamics or had to deal with anything. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
Just now, ffwbe said:

As irritating as it is, I think that the show thinks they have sold Olivia as the Q family matriarch, even though she resents practically everything about them and throws Ned under the bus constantly. Ironically, the only time she was team Ned and defending him at all costs was when he was the evil big business mayor and we were clearly supposed to be rooting against him. 

It’s why they always give her the big Quartermaine speeches about how the family is and their history. I guess we’re supposed to ignore that most of the family was long gone before she and Ned ever got involved so she didn’t exactly witness their family dynamics or had to deal with anything. 

Bring back Katherine Bell. We all deserve better than the caricature that is Olivia stalking around the Q home. Katherine can bring back (real) Nik and Stefan and kick this idiot out.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Ugh, as much as I hate to defend anything Olivia or Cody related I think they established early on that he called her Mama Falconeri back in the day. The Mama Q is just an update of that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Ugh, as much as I hate to defend anything Olivia or Cody related I think they established early on that he called her Mama Falconeri back in the day. The Mama Q is just an update of that. 

I hate her Tessa, unabashedly. Sonny shot her son point blank in the chest then blamed it on her for not telling him and she still slept with him after. It's insane to me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
30 minutes ago, Daisy said:

No, Drewfus. YOU AND MICHAEL drove a wedge between Ned & ya'll. 

He’s now a full on Carly refusing to take accountability for his actions. He and Michael are terrible businessman who not only spoke down to both Ned and Lucy but were actively screwing over Ned and expected him to just side with them out of “family loyalty”. But yeah it’s all Valentin’s fault for recognizing that they would go for a deal that benefits them in some way. I’m ready for him to die again. I can already tell that when Nina turns them in for insider trading, he’s going to assume it was Ned and throw a bitch fit over it

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

can already tell that when Nina turns them in for insider trading, he’s going to assume it was Ned and throw a bitch fit over it

also i love how Nina and Ava figured it out over a liquid lunch - but the CEO & OWNER OF THE COMPANY HAD NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS

Honestly Ned should turn him in because keeping quiet hurts him + ELQ. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

It still baffles me that Carly and Drew think they’re doing an amazing job hiding their relationship. Everyone knows they’re together. Most don’t care or are wondering why they are bothering to hide it. This is making them come off line complete dingbats 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Gross with not cleaning up the kitchen ASAP, though of course Drew and Carly think it's adorable. Ew.

Someone, anyone, drop the dime on Carly, Michael, and Drew to the SEC. At this point I don't even care if it sticks, I just want to see some smug wiped off their faces for a bit.

"I will run Aurora full-time." I forget, does Michael know this? I know he hasn't done much recently, but he's supposed to be the CEO.

I had to laugh at Cody's "oh, shit, I really stepped in it" when Sasha was demanding details about Gladys and the sale of the garage.

This Pikeman shipment stuff is beyond boring. Why is it being dragged out? Either Dex screws it up or he doesn't, and Sonny gets caught or he doesn't. There is absolutely no suspense here.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

Snoozeville.

Literally I could not stay awake!!

I would like to say no baby for Sasha and Stable-hobo but if he is going to be Mac's son, and that looks like what is coming out (through really boring writing), then at least a baby would be the extension of the Scorpio line. Maybe Sasha and Cody could take their giant baby to Australia  to learn about its Aussi roots and come back in 2 years when the kid is 12 and we have a new Scorpio on the scene.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • LOL 8
17 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I would like to say no baby for Sasha and Stable-hobo but if he is going to be Mac's son, and that looks like what is coming out (through really boring writing), then at least a baby would be the extension of the Scorpio line.

When was Brando killed? Oct/Nov?

Just have Sasha be so grief stricken that she didn’t realize that she was pregnant until now. She can have a 12 month pregnancy just like Maxie did. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
19 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Just have Sasha be so grief stricken that she didn’t realize that she was pregnant until now. She can have a 12 month pregnancy just like Maxie did. 

But that makes another baby in the Corinthos family, I would rather one in the Scorpio family

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

"I will run Aurora full-time." I forget, does Michael know this? I know he hasn't done much recently, but he's supposed to be the CEO.

Apparently not since he just offered all of Aurora's resources to Maxie to publicize the Nurses' Ball. That said, the recent Nurses' Balls with their ordinary people on the red carpets and no-talent performances have seemed more to me like a high school prom than a big time fundraising event.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

This Pikeman shipment stuff is beyond boring. Why is it being dragged out? Either Dex screws it up or he doesn't, and Sonny gets caught or he doesn't. There is absolutely no suspense here.

I think the suspense is whether Sonny will 'adopt' Dex as a son, and how will he react when Dex betrays him. Zzzzzzz

Did Sasha just completely forgive Gladys for selling Brando's shop? What is the suspense here?

Carly telling Joss all the bad things about dating a mobster while hiding her own relationship with Drew because she knows they did wrong (although she would never admit it) seems peak hypocrisy.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Sasha does not know where the money went. She probably thinks it was put away for her or invested. 

Since they are all mentioning Lucy and the nurses ball I bet that’s when she’ll make a dramatic return. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I found them cutting between mother and daughter's post coital shmoopy talk super squicky. I guess they wanted to show us how extremely sexy and desirable Carlys are at any age. 🤮

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 3
55 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Since they are all mentioning Lucy and the nurses ball I bet that’s when she’ll make a dramatic return. 

Somehow with no clothes on!!!!

BTW everyone seems pretty chill that Lucy is presumed dead, Valentin is presumed dead, do think Anna is dead too? I kind of missed the one day a month ago his story was on. Maybe that is why everyone in PC is like "*shrug*, they are dead, I think, I can't remember, lets have a big party and take over their shares of the company"

*Don't they have to wait 7 years to do anything with Valentin's stock if they have no body??

Edited by Blackie
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
37 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I found them cutting between mother and daughter's post coital shmoopy talk super squicky. I guess they wanted to show us how extremely sexy and desirable Carlys are at any age. 🤮

Yep, things I didn't need on this March Friday were the Carlys talking about their super sekrit, oh-so-hot relationships. 

I know we discuss it ad-nauseum, but the pacing on this show is awful.  Willow was on death's door a few weeks ago and now she finds out she might have a bone marrow donor and suddenly she's just looking a little tired--which could be attributed with having to carry around Ginormous Newborn Amelia. 

Loved the scenes of Nina and Ava figuring out the deal with Carly and Drew and the SEC violation.  Turn them in, Nina--and do it now!

• Like 8

Gladys needs to be far away from Sasha's finances it was always a ridiculous idea to have her be the guardian. 

Valentine didn't drive the wedge Drew, it was you and Michael. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, slayer2 said:

Can we retcon Michael as Jason's and kill him off? I'll revoke the no-death to legacy clause for this one exception.

The only reason Michael was needed on the canvas was for the moment when he reunited with his real father, A.J.  Now that A.J. is gone and is never coming back, there is no reason for him to be alive and taking up space.  Plus, Chad Duell is worse than even Jason Thompson* in his complete inability to generate heat with any female he is paired with.  Stop trying to make Fetch happen, Show, and kill his ass off.

* - Jason Thompson at least had Kimberly McCullough to carry him and disguise his lack of talent.  There's no actress in Duell's age cohort who can do that for him. 

18 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly is the matriarch of the show

11 hours ago, VioletMarx said:

Laura would like to have a word with you.

If the show were not written by complete incompetents, Laura would be the acknowledged matriarch of the show, with Liz as the younger matriarch acting as the pillars of Port Charles.  Alas, thanks to The Asshole Robert Guza [SPIT!], the braying bitch that is Carly Benson has been cemented in as the matriarch of the show and nothing is going to dislodge her from that spot.

• Like 3
  • Applause 9
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Gross with not cleaning up the kitchen ASAP, though of course Drew and Carly think it's adorable. Ew.

I noticed Moss Pot got the hell out of Dodge before Carly and Drewfus got their freak on on the kitchen island. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And moss was missing in action. 

ETA: see. @Mbluecpa -

18 hours ago, ciarra said:

Snoozeville.

I fell asleep during the Curtis/ Portia reveal. So when  y'all said that you fell asleep, I figured it was a going to be a boring ep. I was prepared to be lulled to sleep.  

Not so. Even enjoyed the Cody and Mac scenes. The two actors have a nice vibe together.  And LOL at that horse being so close to the actors.  The horse's head made it into the camera shot a couple of times.

Obviously had to ff'd through the Carly's, that stuff is as aforementioned - 🤢

Good grief GH.  You have two cute fit actors who shine when they go on adventures. Curtis and Drew seem to be real bored with their story lines and both actors are unable to keep their hands still at times. I am not talking about an acting tic like MB rubbing his chin or Drew doing his exaggerated Tony Robbins spiel.

Sonny in a rage against a woman is never a good look.  Happy Womenz Month!  

I miss Cam already.  Sydney and WL really helped make watching EM more bearable.  It appears that both actors no longer wanted to work on the show so I only wish the best for both of the kids but hope they return one day.  I have faith that GF and MW will help Spencer and Trina really hold their own but in the meantime. . . Dex just is not fluid enough. I honestly can't remember another actor that had left me thinking that MB turned in a better performance than his scenery partner.  Maybe Mo will take him under his wing.  Then again, things can always get worse.  Sad to see Mob Sonny back. 

So my rage meter was going off the charts with Drew by the end of the episode.  He had the nerve to lecture Ned about the importance of Quartermaine family unity.  He just left Carly's place.  Fresh from sleeping with a woman who was married at the time to a cold blooded murderer who cut short what should have been a strong and sturdy branch of the Quartermaine family - AJ Quartermine.

Edited by sunnyface
carly
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
On 3/8/2023 at 6:11 PM, slayer2 said:

Exactly! Esme lost her memory and had a baby and now she's Mother Teresa not unlike Willow. Redemption through the cookie portal and somehow suddenly  Spencer, her mark and the guy she manipulated and emotionally damaged is the villain and she's the bewildered victim standing in judgement of him. Spare me.

IMO more like the actual Mother Teresa as described by Christopher Hitchens, withholding pain relieving medication to dying people so they could suffer their way into heaven. I'm thinking Esme will kidnap and disappear with that adorable giant baby, but she'd better do it soon because in a couple of weeks he'll be bigger than she is!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I do think Portia is in the wrong and wouldn’t blame Curtis for splitting up with her but I still have absolutely zero interest in this story. Curtis once again playing the injured party because a woman lied to him is tired. He’s not exactly a bastion for honesty and an upstanding moral citizen himself. 

It doesn’t help that I didn’t agree with him when he did the same thing with Jordan. He was also completely dismissive when she suggested couples therapy to work through their issues, probably because he already had Portia waiting in the wings. Not to mention, accusing Jordan of not filing the divorce papers because she’s hung up on him. He beyond irritates me. 

I’m sure whenever this wraps up, we’ll get another poor Curtis storyline in the form of Trina not being interested in a father/daughter relationship

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

The thing about changing parentage when the kid is grown is: The kid is grown. The intensive work has been done. Adult kids need their parents, but in a different way than young ones do. There isn't going to be some sort of custody battle (thank Jasus). I don't quite see what Curtis is hoping he'll be able to do for Trina as her bio dad that Taggert hasn't already done/can't do himself. And since Trina still thinks of Taggert as her dad (WHICH IS THE TRUTH), where's the conflict? He can have a relationship with her as her stepfather regardless, assuming he deigns to stay with Portia. And if he doesn't, he can still be a part of her life. It's so stupid.

Once again, GH pulls out a story that can't go anywhere and has given us zero drama.

• Like 2
  • Applause 12

Drewfus's conversation with Laura about Charlotte's ELQ shares should be an interesting one. Drewfus wears his name well. The way Ned was looking at him as he went on about ELQ was the way I look at this bozo too. You are not the real Drew. You wear the name, you ain't him. Shut up forever, Drew!

"Oh, I can't believe we spent that long in bed!" We get it, you were at it like bunnies.

"You guys looked like you had fun." Creepy, AF, Joss, commenting on things that don't concern her.

And eat a bullet, Michael. You and your stepford wife.

• Fire 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

If Drewfus and Michael are going to try to take over ELQ, AGAIN, and hold a vote, AGAIN, I hope Valentin walks in and thwarts their plans AGAIN only this time there's someone from the SEC saying they are investigating the shenanigans with the previous merger attempt. Mainly, the large number of Aurora shares bought by Mrs. Carly Corinthos who happens to be the mother of Michael Corinthos, CEO of Aurora. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 6
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I’m sure whenever this wraps up, we’ll get another poor Curtis storyline in the form of Trina not being interested in a father/daughter relationship

Don't forget that there's a possible poor Curtis -- he agreed to work with a gangster but never imagined it would come back and  bite him in the butt story.

Edited by rur
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
6 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

If Drewfus and Michael are going to try to take over ELQ, AGAIN, and hold a vote, AGAIN, I hope Valentin walks in and thwarts their plans AGAIN only this time there's someone from the SEC saying they are investigating the shenanigans with the previous merger attempt. Mainly, the large number of Aurora shares bought by Mrs. Carly Corinthos who happens to be the mother of Michael Corinthos, CEO of Aurora. 

I wonder if Ned knows he's alive, he got that text and went to answer it outside then Drew showed up. 

• Useful 3

Maxie is really insensitive to ask Michael to help with the Nurses' Ball. 

1. He works? at Aurora.
  2. He's getting married next week?
  3. His wife just had a baby
  4. His wife is waiting for a bone marrow transplant.

Any one of these should exclude him from volunteering.  Brooke, Chase, Sasha, Felicia, Brad.  Any of them could help.

• Like 8
56 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I know I couldn't figure out where this story is going that they need boring Michael, who has other things going on in his life, to be involved with the nurses ball. I guess that is going to be the culmination of the Dex/Sonny/Michael plot - a shoot out at the nurses ball???  At least that is supposed to be in a  couple weeks so we will get movement in this storyline.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

1. He works? at Aurora.
  2. He's getting married next week?
  3. His wife just had a baby
  4. His wife is waiting for a bone marrow transplant.

Any one of these should exclude him from volunteering.  Brooke, Chase, Sasha, Felicia, Brad.  Any of them could help.

I know.  that bone marrow is far from a done deal.  Willow  looks like she's about 5 minutes from dying.  If I were Michael I would want to spend every minute I can with her.  Not organize a nurses ball (or figure out how to take Sonny down, for that matter).  Maxie has lost a lot of loved ones to violence, but I bet if she'd had the option she would have wanted a few weeks to just be with them before they died.

Amelia looks smaller than Ace.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ciarra said:

It gave saintly, ailing  Willow the opportunity to appear selfless. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I’m sure there’s some plot point reason Michael is involved in the Nurses Ball because I can’t recall him involved in planning any type of party or event before and are he and Maxie even close? You’d think she’d reach out to someone like Sam, BL, or Sasha if she just needed help planning in general. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I’m sure there’s some plot point reason Michael is involved in the Nurses Ball because I can’t recall him involved in planning any type of party or event before and are he and Maxie even close? You’d think she’d reach out to someone like Sam, BL, or Sasha if she just needed help planning in general. 

If I had to guess, I'd say that the plot point has to do with his vendetta against Sonny. Maybe his dumbass gets inadvertently involved with Pikeman through the fundraising and he'll owe them.

I wonder how he'll react to Sonny being shot at.

• Like 4