Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Pip was just gross in this whole episode.  Yeah, I get it that they didn't like Mac's act but stomping Mr. Marbles was terrible. And then everyone applauding was the worst kind of awful. Lord of the Flies level. I wanted someone to rain down on Pip and her entitlement.

I liked Brad's auto tuned performance the best although Player, on to promote a new CD, were good. I'd forgotten how arch KA was as Kiki. I always feel soory for Tracy, let down by those she loves.

Speaking of bad behaviour -- Spencer. From his "it's just something I found ... IN EUROPE" to interrupting Emma's and Cameron's dance, it was a lesson in bad behaviour and lack of manners. It's on Nik for bad parenting. No wonder Spencer grew up to rig the election.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

No wonder Spencer grew up to rig the election.

FOR WHICH HE STILL HASN'T BEEN CAUGHT OR PUNISHED. I will never let this go.

This is a hill I will die on.  That brat needs his comeuppance.  I don't care if they resurrect it four years from now, it needs to be done.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Pip was just gross in this whole episode. 

She's the worst.  I have never liked this character.

• Love 6
On 5/26/2020 at 7:51 PM, statsgirl said:

Cameron and Joss were 15 last summer so they'd be 16 now heading into grade 11 because they were talking about the PSATs. I think Spencer was 14 last summer but he looked much younger as the actor was so much shorter than Joss.

Except that Cameron was driving last summer and lost his license for trying to buy drugs for Oscar who died over a year ago.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Brad is singing a highly Autotuned song right now, but we got Britt cheering him on. @TeeVee329, it's the origin of one of your favorite gifs!

Yay!

tumblr_n5hg6e4tPz1sopfhpo1_400.gif&key=3

ETA..and then there's my second fave...Hungover!Liz!  

tumblr_mwoztbYuck1qhi5j4o1_250.gif&key=4

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

FOR WHICH HE STILL HASN'T BEEN CAUGHT OR PUNISHED. I will never let this go.

Again, who thought it would be cute to watch an entitled rich brat get away WITH ELECTION FRAUD.  If that had been a Quartermaine, they would have been burned at the stake!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I’m a sap, I’m ok with that, and I’ll be happy to sit at a table at the NB with you.  “You are not aloooooone.....” 🎵🎵🎵

UGH. Sobby. Getting hives just remembering. HIVES.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Pip was just gross in this whole episode.  Yeah, I get it that they didn't like Mac's act but stomping Mr. Marbles was terrible. And then everyone applauding was the worst kind of awful. Lord of the Flies level. I wanted someone to rain down on Pip and her entitlement.

Not gonna lie, that made me tear up.  Poor Mac.  I appreciate his Mr. Marbles act - the bad ventriloquism and dad jokes.  It’s just very endearing.  And a hell of a lot more entertaining than effing Pip marching around in her scrubs in that godawful opening act that thankfully was hijacked by Obrect this year.

• Love 3

Player! One of my favorite songs growing up! And I knew that dude that played original Ridge Forrester on Bold and the Beautiful, was from that group, so color me shocked (no, not really) that this show focused on him during the number and gave him lines of dialogue to speak.

Of course, I don't know if he'd left the show by then, hence him showing up on here.

That and the scenes with fake!Luke, Ned, and Tracy were the only ones I didn't fast forward. Okay, okay, and the ones with Nik, Elizabeth and Ric, Mac.

That toddler "triangle" is GROSS on SO.MANY.LEVELS.

Since I wasn't watching then, how did Maxie turn into a stepford? And how was she so accepting that she was with a guy who didn't believe in the Nurses Ball, when her OWN COUSIN has HIV? And that....oh never mind.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And how was she so accepting that she was with a guy who didn't believe in the Nurses Ball, when her OWN COUSIN has HIV?

It isn't the Nurses Ball per se, it's that all the money spent on staging it could have been given to AIDS research directly. Levi apparently doesn't understand you have to spend money to make money. He really was one of the worst characters, and villains, the show has had. He's garbage on so many levels. I kind of felt sorry for the actor.

Whatever. He gets his in the end. Oh, sorry, should I have spoiled that?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Since I wasn't watching then, how did Maxie turn into a stepford? And how was she so accepting that she was with a guy who didn't believe in the Nurses Ball, when her OWN COUSIN has HIV? And that....oh never mind.

She was in loooov.  Plus, Robin gave her the book Eat, Pray, Love which apparently changed her life.  And, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone else to do and get all judgey about it, but I do just prefer to donate money than to buy a ticket to some fancy thing.  So, other than the fact that he was a complete phony about everything, I do tend to agree with him on that point.  But, I also know that there are people who won't give money without getting something in return, so these things can be necessary.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, since it's getting a lot of hate here, I have to speak up and say that I for one appreciated the Magic Milo act. Yes the dancing was cringe-worthy but that made sense in the context - none of those guys were professional dancers, least of all Michael. It was meant to be a goofy production thrown together by a bunch of amateurs (mob enforcer, businessman, doctor, etc.) from a small city who agree to publicly make a fool of themselves for charity - it was never going to be a slick, perfectly-choreographed production where all the guys are buff and tanned.

I certainly wouldn't turn down the eye candy on offer and thought it progressive to showcase a variety of body types and sizes. Intentional or not, Chad Duell's portrayal was in-character for Michael; he wasn't comfortable being there but he's soft-hearted enough that he conceded for a good cause. (Of course, he could just as easily have made a hefty corporate donation on behalf of his family company ELQ, but I also believe he is dumb enough not to realize that!)

Honestly, Magic Milo, along with Dr Obrecht's musical numbers, were the highlights of the resurrected Nurses' Ball for me, and the decision to omit one or both the last couple of years has essentially negated its appeal to me. I knew from the outset there was little hope that the ball would relive its glory days as a "talent night" for the extended cast - most of the current cast apparently aren't sporting enough to perform on stage - and the original focus of the ball on HIV awareness has dwindled away to nothing. 

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 6

As I was watching the Magic Milo scene, 2 thoughts came to mind:

1. I don't care that he wasn't a great actor; Ryan Paevey/Nathan was one sexy man and in wish he was still on the show. I'd pay to watch him read from a dictionary.

2. There is a real shortage of truly attractive men left on this show. I mean, I'm perfectly fine never seeing the Magic Milo act again, but if they wanted to revive it, who could they use? Chase and Curtis, of course. Please not Michael. Sonny would make me vomit and I'd likely never eat again. No to Jason. Hard pass on Finn. Spinelli might be worse than Sonny, and that's REALLY saying something. Lucas is not allowed to be seen, apparently. There's no one left.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Player! One of my favorite songs growing up! And I knew that dude that played original Ridge Forrester on Bold and the Beautiful, was from that group, so color me shocked (no, not really) that this show focused on him during the number and gave him lines of dialogue to speak.

Still a song I love (and now can't get out of my head lol). I never watched Ronn Moss on B&B either, but I never would have guessed he's a seasoned soap actor. His lines came off as very much a musician who doesn't act and doesn't have much experience doing it.

3 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

2. There is a real shortage of truly attractive men left on this show. I mean, I'm perfectly fine never seeing the Magic Milo act again, but if they wanted to revive it, who could they use? Chase and Curtis, of course. Please not Michael. Sonny would make me vomit and I'd likely never eat again. No to Jason. Hard pass on Finn. Spinelli might be worse than Sonny, and that's REALLY saying something. Lucas is not allowed to be seen, apparently. There's no one left.

Echo all of the above but especially this. I guess Julian would fall into the category of attractive, but I don't see him doing Magic Milo at all. So Chase and Curtis, but then there's just no point to it anymore.

Off topic, good to be around you guys again. Decided to go on the Barge after Hayden left. I tried to stick it out, but nothing interested me - not even Ava and Nik. Maybe if Tyler were still around. But all of the rest of the storylines were excruciating. Hope everyone is well.

• Love 1

Speaking of good looking guys, I miss Dylan Quartermaine. Did he ever do the Magic Milo number ? I guess now we have Dustin, but he doesn't do much for me. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Speaking of good looking guys, I miss Dylan Quartermaine. Did he ever do the Magic Milo number ? I guess now we have Dustin, but he doesn't do much for me. 

Recent Dillon (RPW) did a number with Kiki. So no, I don't think so. I forgot about Dustin. I guess he would qualify. I'm sure Lulu would agree.

• Love 1

Didn't they have Curtis do the nunchucks shirtless one year? 

As far as Michael goes, I haven't bothered rewatching these episodes, but I remember thinking that CD should have kept his shirt on.

And yes, there is a shortage of attractive men. I can't think of anyone else beyond Curtis, Chase and Lucas. There's a shortage of attractive men, cohesive storylines . . .

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Didn't they have Curtis do the nunchucks shirtless one year? 

As far as Michael goes, I haven't bothered rewatching these episodes, but I remember thinking that CD should have kept his shirt on.

And yes, there is a shortage of attractive men. I can't think of anyone else beyond Curtis, Chase and Lucas. There's a shortage of attractive men, cohesive storylines . . .

Wasn't even at least Dylan actor fired to pay Steve Burton?

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Benji said:

1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

Recent Dillon (RPW) did a number with Kiki. So no, I don't think so. I forgot about Dustin. I guess he would qualify. I'm sure Lulu would agree.

Dillon did perform in Magic Milo the last year they had it (2016).

I always wondered how Bryan Craig (Morgan) got out of doing it.

Besides Chase, Curtis, Dustin (who I find incredibly sexy since he was Brody on OLTL, although the actor's social media posts have left me less enamored of him) other candidates would be nuTJ, Peter and Felix. Including Milo, that's more than enough for two years.

After enduring unkind comments about his physique, Chad Duell posted on social media about hitting the gym harder and is looking more toned. I felt bad for him because I didn't see anything wrong with his body in the Magic Milo scenes. He looked a perfectly healthy weight and a natural color - not like he visited a tanning salon immediately pre-taping.

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 2

I too love the NB. I like watching the audience. They do seem to be cheering their fellow castmates on as co-workers, not characters. I am glad that if there need to be reruns, they are the NB episodes. Joining geauxaway and Katy at their table. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I liked Brad's auto tuned performance the best although Player, on to promote a new CD, were good. I'd forgotten how arch KA was as Kiki. I always feel soory for Tracy, let down by those she loves.

Speaking of bad behaviour -- Spencer. From his "it's just something I found ... IN EUROPE" to interrupting Emma's and Cameron's dance, it was a lesson in bad behaviour and lack of manners. It's on Nik for bad parenting. No wonder Spencer grew up to rig the election.

This reminded me of poor Mac Scorpio, whom I adore.  image.thumb.png.df80055c7e6e24dc499c0a9d739cf503.png

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Aymery said:

Besides Chase, Curtis, Dustin (who I find incredibly sexy since he was Brody on OLTL, although the actor's social media posts have left me less enamored of him) other candidates would be nuTJ, Peter and Felix. Including Milo, that's more than enough for two years.

After enduring unkind comments about his physique, Chad Duell posted on social media about hitting the gym harder and is looking more toned. I felt bad for him because I didn't see anything wrong with his body in the Magic Milo scenes. He looked a perfectly healthy weight and a natural color - not like he visited a tanning salon immediately pre-taping.

Peter? Blech. He gets put in the same category as Spinelli for me. I have no desire to see him shaking his money maker on my screen. Unless, of course, he sees Laura Wright as his money maker and its Peter shaking Carly.

I feel sorry of Chad Duell there. I think he has been put in a no-win situation. First, the writing for his character sucks in that he is this odd man-child who supposedly can run a company but still needs his mommy to fight all of his battles. Then, he isn't unfortunate looking but they put him in a very awkward striptease scene with men who were MUCH more muscular than he was. He also was less tanned and tan skin naturally looks mite l more toned. So, while he wasn't flabby, he ended up not looking as good as he would were he by himself without a shirt.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Whatever. He gets his in the end. Oh, sorry, should I have spoiled that?

😅 Nah. I think I was watching intermittently, and knew he got it. But I can't recall who his faaathaaa was. Did it go back to the Aztec Princess story line?

And I must have really zoned out, or my bitterness over Robin/Kimberly getting screwed over and my rageblackout over it, that I don't remember that they revisited Nik and Elizabeth? I'm asking based on Britt and Nik's conversation yesterday.

Hayden with long hair! Not crazy about the gold dress, but she looked good. I'm not wild about the princess hairstyle that Liz had going on, but Becky nailed that speech. 

Carly, still a bitch. Another day ending in y.

Rebecca Budig and Billy Miller look really good together. Just sayin'. I always thought they had spark. I had so many scenes written for them in my head when she came back and before he left. Damn these writers. 

Dr. O stealing the show again, like a boss.

They really tried to over use the same schtick as the previous year, and it's extremely obvious when you watch it with just a few days in between as opposed to a full year. I was like wait? Didn't we just see this? It was good to see Ric. 

Lucy is getting a little tiresome. She's too much.

I kind of still forget Samtrick was a thing. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

It cracks me up that everyone just sits there. If they really wanted to end things, they could cut her sound. But I suspect the NB guests are relieved to hear someone who can actually sing without being Autotuned to death.

Edited by dubbel zout
spelling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Every Nurses' Ball should have to have Kathleen Gati and Perry Shen perform.  Shen was so sexy, I would have married him.

I have a fondness for 99 Red Balloons, it reminds me of a time when we thought that we could change it into a better world.

New TJ could also be added to those who could do a Magic Milo routine.

3 hours ago, Aymery said:

This is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the act, because in order to to look good at it, most of them have to go to extraordinary lengths. Like women being a size 2. You shouldn't have to spend 2 hours a day in the gym to meet an artificial standard of beauty and knowing that they do kind of turns me off the act. (That said, Stephen Amell in Arrow shape is a thing of beauty.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Stephen Amell in Arrow shape is a thing of beauty

Oh Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhh

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Hayden with long hair! Not crazy about the gold dress, but she looked good. I'm not wild about the princess hairstyle that Liz had going on, but Becky nailed that speech. 

Carly, still a bitch. Another day ending in y.

Rebecca Budig and Billy Miller look really good together. Just sayin'. I always thought they had spark. I had so many scenes written for them in my head when she came back and before he left. Damn these writers. 

They really tried to over use the same schtick as the previous year, and it's extremely obvious when you watch it with just a few days in between as opposed to a full year. I was like wait? Didn't we just see this? It was good to see Ric. 

Lucy is getting a little tiresome. She's too much.

I kind of still forget Samtrick was a thing. 

Wait, what? They moved to another ball today?

• LOL 1
22 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wait, what? They moved to another ball today?

Yes, and what was weird was I didn't think we were done with the other ball yet. Oh well. I liked 2015's better than 2014's anyway. I've got Hayden, and Drew, Nik and Ric all look really good. Sucks that they're all gone. I liked seeing Tracy again the previous year but that brought out Luke so...

This isn't the year with that llama, is it?

• Love 2

I guess this show was during the time that I’d stopped watching GH because I was totally lost today about who was with who and why. Maybe tomorrow will be better. And Dear God, no more Lisl “singing” and “dancing”.

4 hours ago, Aymery said:

Dillon did perform in Magic Milo the last year they had it (2016).

I always wondered how Bryan Craig (Morgan) got out of doing it.

Then, that means he fits in perfectly on that set.

Anyway.  About this Magic Milo nonsense — don’t forget Blando.  There has to be some reason why they hired him.

While I had my reasons for hating Guzasshole, at least when he was running the show, when the Nurses Balls aired in '97 and '98, at least the SheBEAST wasn't able to ruin them! Of course, she was still grappling the social ladder/mob moll, and didn't have the means to do it, like she did today. God, I HATE Frank. So cheap, that the fucking Metro Court is the ONLY place this even can be held. Like anyone else in the audience other than the ones involved and their...friends, I guess, gave any bluedilly fucks about Ric and Elizabeth's relationship. Why can't a crane fall down on her and kill her already?

giphy.gif

I missed this year too; chemo and issues with

expanders in the boob

so I can't remember what I was watching.

• Love 2

I wish there was some sort of intro to the NB episodes given we're seeing various years with no context. All I need to know is that Levi has wormed his way into Maxie's life, Spencer is recovering from his burns, etc.

Tomorrow finishes what we saw today, according to my cable preview. Which means Spencer gets a visit from SWSNBN.

• Love 1

What was even more GROSS was hearing the words "honey trap" out of a toddler's mouth!

And sadly, it didn't take long for Elizabeth to take a page from Ric; she lambasted him about honesty and deceit, and then shortly later, would do the same--keeping the secret that Jake was Jaysus*, from Jaysus himself and others.

I LOVED Gati's performance, though she did go sort of batshit at the end with her glee over possible nuclear war! At least some people actually applauded.  And it looked like Ned...liked it? And I don't get the cringes, which I think were at her performance. It was glorious, in tune, and fun! Unlike that bland, more cringeworthy intro by Sabrina and Epiphany.

This just emphasizes how much BETTER the ball was in '94-'98, before they stopped doing it. With a few exceptions, of course.

And I really wish Hayden had taken a page from Robin's book and bitchslapped the SheBeast! You know, like this (can't find the gif, so...):

She's so fucking VILE. I wish Robin had slapped her harder!

*He was supposed to be Jaysus. That he was retconned into being his twin is beside the point.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And sadly, it didn't take long for Elizabeth to take a page from Ric; she lambasted him about honesty and deceit, and then shortly later, would do the same--keeping the secret that Jake was Jaysus*, from Jaysus himself and others.

I remember that annoying me so much when it happened.  first that she was actually going to make that announcement at the NB.  That was when I knew she would back out.  Because, you know if you announce it everyone is going to mob him.  Telling him privately and letting him spread the news as he saw fit would have been the way to go.  Keeping it a secret for longer than until the next day, that was big time wrong.

• Love 2

Even with the special report breaking in and pre-empting about half the episode, this one was barely watchable. Spencer's ridiculous whining and exaggeration about his "disfigurement", SWMNBN making a special appearance, Aveeno promotion out the wazoo, and of course ending on "You're Not Alone". Painful, just painful.

Did Anna ever end up sleeping with Grayson McCouch? Sorry, can't remember the character's name. And didn't Carlos end up killing him?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Looks like next week we're jumping to 2017.  

All I know is they BETTER show a SEXAY, GRIZZLY Robert!Fucking!Scorpio! walk across the stage to cold cock Valentin!

6 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Did Anna ever end up sleeping with Grayson McCouch? Sorry, can't remember the character's name. And didn't Carlos end up killing him?

1 minute ago, ulkis said:

Yes, Anna was in Grayson's (Kyle Sloan) crisco slicked bed. Not sure about anything else.

But...why? What happened in the year between? Was it Duke choosing the mob over Anna? Was that why there weren't together? Y'all need to fill in the blanks for meeeee!!!!

Wot?

(edited)
11 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Yes, Anna was in Grayson's (Kyle Sloan) crisco slicked bed. Not sure about anything else.

Kyle Sloane! All I remember about him is laughing hysterically at some line delivery of his.

I'm kind of mad we're skipping ahead. I know that the episode after this one or close to it, Nik and Hayden had raging hot sex.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 1

Why did they skip the episode between yesterday and today? Why are they skipping ahead?  There are going to be no new episodes for months!

Spencer needs to be smacked into next week the next time he derogatorily talks about "townies". And reminded of this time when he continues to shut down Ava.

I really felt sorry for Liz. I know that Franco is pretty hated but she needs someone who loves her like he does.

• Love 2

One thing I've liked about the NB reruns is that seeing the performances separate from the ongoing stories of the time lets me appreciate (or not) the performances. Autotuned or not, Wally Kurth can sing, and Bradford Anderson's song wasn't bad, nor was the bit of Brooklyn and Jason's duet that the newsbreak let us see. I would much rather watch that than stripping, which I always thought was in bad taste for the kind of occasion the NB was supposed to be. (And if you go back to the way that Milo was coerced into doing it to begin with, it's kind of icky, IMO.  But I'm guessing that was the way TIIC created a [meaningless] story for Drew.) Once you separate the voice from all the sparkly baggage attached to Sabrina, the number she and Sonya did was not that bad.

Anyway, I'll go over to the table in the corner now. (And think that it's too bad that they couldn't have had all the GH backstage people serve as extras in the crowd.)

• Love 2

Shut up, Nik. If you're so concerned about Elizabeth keeping the Jake secret, tell it yourself. Oh, wait, that would implicate you. UGH.

Anyway, it's not as if Jake would care. He rolls with whatever identity someone gives him.

Oh, look how disfigured Spencer is. More ugh. He's such a little turd.

18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why did they skip the episode between yesterday and today?

Probably so they could end the week on "You're Not Alone." It's effective, I'll give them that.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, look how disfigured Spencer is. More ugh. He's such a little turd.

If I'm not mistaken, when he was talking to DeadMom, the scar on his face was on the right side of my screen. Then when Nik came home, the scar had switched sides. Did anyone else see that? (I don't really care enough to sit through an un-fastforwardable On Demand rewatch to check.)

Spencer was always such a spoiled little shit. All the complaining and whining that he did about his scar, then heap mounds of scorn on Ava for wanting her face fixed is peak Spencer being a little shit.

• Love 5