Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Triumph Over Masks

• Start Topic

Kelly Osbourne is a much better singer than I thought. It was the right time for her to go but she could have made the top 5 last season.

The Tree performance tonight convinced me that it’s Ana Gasteyer. It’s now to the point where I am sure about everyone just by their voices. 

The show as really raised the bar when it comes to singing ability. Last season once I knew who everyone was I primarily kept watching to listen to Gladys Knight. This season I am really enjoying the performances. Although Leopard and Thingamajig can go any time.

I love listening to Daughtry on a singing show again. I would love to see him win just because he was robbed on Idol.

Each week I am incredibly impressed with Wayne Brady even though I already knew he could sing. 

One of the highlights of this show for me is getting to listen to a legend like Patti Labelle sing unexpected songs.

Mrs. GenX is convinced Flower is Anita Baker from the voice and the Rapture in the clue package.

Tree's clue package included the Chicago flag.  Gasteyer went to Northwestern and performed in Wicked in Chicago.

Triumph was hysterical!

• Love 3

I thought Flower sounded like Gloria Gaynor, last night. She also, at times, sounded a little like Alicia Bridges. The consensus is typically correct though. If the viewers overwhelmingly think it's Patti LaBelle, it is probably Patti Labelle.  I don't know anything about any of these people, so the clues are lost on me.  

After listening to him again last night, I'm convinced that Fox is Wayne Brady. 

Kelly Osbourne never crossed my mind. That was a surprise reveal.   

I have no guesses on anyone else. 

I ended up signing out of Twitter last night because of the trending guesses.  I need to remember not to look at it on Wednesday evenings. 

• Love 1

Another amazing performance from the Flower, the crowd was actually chanting "Flower, Flower!"  It's definitely Patti LaBelle.  The voice alone is a giveaway.  How on earth could Jenny McCarthy think it's Anita Baker?  Anita Baker's voice is a lot huskier.  Because of the "Rapture" clue?  They purposely throw red herrings into the clue package and I'm convinced that the show does it based on who has already been guessed.  Like how Robin guessed Brian Littrell for the Rottweiler and the next week his clue package said that "I want it that way".  I can only imagine that the show is trying to get Anita Baker to sign on for Season 3 in what appears to be the requisite "legendary black female singer from the past" slot.  I think she'd be fine but I'd prefer Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Roberta Flack, Shirley Bassey, Gloria Gaynor, or one of the Pointer Sisters (probably Ruth).

Major subtle clue for the Flower was when she said she's going to kick off her heels.  Patti is known for kicking off her heels in videos and live performances.

If Nick and the panelists are so in awe of the "legendary" Flower... how come they don't name her as a finalist?  I believe Jenny said it will be Fox and Rottweiler in the final two.  Nicole is besotted with the Thingamajig and Robin said Flamingo will be there.

I thought Rottweiler was great but it was a little boring to me, I definitely don't see how it qualifies as the "best performance of any episode on both seasons" per Ken.

Fox's dancing and singing will certainly keep him in the game.  Tree was ok, I think she's competent, I just don't see anything that special about her.

Kelly Osbourne was a lot better singer than I had expected, but she was the right elimination.  I wasn't that impressed with her performance, I think she did a much better job last week with "Juice".

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

"best performance of any episode on both seasons" per Ken

I believe Jenny said that as well, which I don't get that at all.  I think Rottweiler is an actor who has singing ability.  With the "detective" clue, I was guessing Shemar Moore as Rottweiler.  But I don't know if he can sing.  Just a guess. 

That said, I thought Flower's performance was much, much better, and one of the strongest of the competition so far.  btw, Flower's voice sounds like Tina Turner to me.

5 hours ago, roughing it said:

I believe Jenny said that as well, which I don't get that at all.  I think Rottweiler is an actor who has singing ability.  With the "detective" clue, I was guessing Shemar Moore as Rottweiler.  But I don't know if he can sing.  Just a guess. 

I was thinking Jesse L. Martin after that detective clue. 

11 hours ago, blackwing said:

I can only imagine that the show is trying to get Anita Baker to sign on for Season 3 in what appears to be the requisite "legendary black female singer from the past" slot.  I think she'd be fine but I'd prefer Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Roberta Flack, Shirley Bassey, Gloria Gaynor, or one of the Pointer Sisters (probably Ruth)

I was thinking last night I'd love to see Ruth Pointer on here.  I saw her perform 2 years ago and she was amazing!  I think she is the only original Pointer that still tours, with her daughter and granddaughter.

2 hours ago, roughing it said:

Because Jenny has the memory of a sea urchin. IMHO, Rottweiler didn’t even have the best performance of the night—Fox did. 

Kelly Osborne was not the best singer, but she was a delight to have on the show. I loved her faking a Southern accent and her obvious distain at the Lindsay Lohan guesses. 

I’m surprised that Nick was wearing the same suit in this episode that he did in episode 5. It is a very distinctive pattern so it’s hard to forget. Was so much money spent on costumes that there wasn’t enough left for Nick to have a different outfit every episode?

• Love 5

Ugh. Can they please come up with a phrase other than "reveal the revealing item"?

I really like the Fox, aka Wayne Brady. I hope he makes it to the end.

It would be funny if Rottweiler was Donnie Wahlberg-didn't he play a detective on some TV show?

Never would have guessed Kelly Osbourne.

The Tree is the weakest one of this group left, imo.

The Flower(Patti LaBelle)has a great voice, but she's not as entertaining as the others.

13 hours ago, blackwing said:

If Nick and the panelists are so in awe of the "legendary" Flower... how come they don't name her as a finalist?  I believe Jenny said it will be Fox and Rottweiler in the final two.  Nicole is besotted with the Thingamajig and Robin said Flamingo will be there.

I caught that as well. 

5 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

It would be funny if Rottweiler was Donnie Wahlberg-didn't he play a detective on some TV show?

Donnie Wahlberg has played a detective In at least two TV shows (Boomtown and Blue Bloods), multiple Saw movies, and some other movies. However, he is Jenny’s husband so I don’t think he would be eligible for the show. It would be hysterical if he was on the show and she didn’t guess him.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Athena5217 said:

However, he is Jenny’s husband so I don’t think he would be eligible for the show. It would be hysterical if he was on the show and she didn’t guess him.

They were guessing him for last season, which I don't think they would do if he was ineligible to be on the show. As to the second part of your statement, that's why I think it would be funny if it was him.

17 hours ago, Athena5217 said:

I’m surprised that Nick was wearing the same suit in this episode that he did in episode 5.

Jenny had the same outfit too, and the same black eye makeup and I Dream of Jeannie ponytail.  So I'm guessing they taped both segments the same day.

• Love 4

I am just not enjoying the show this season. I loved it last year. It could be the over production of numbers. I don't need dancers I just want to listen and not be distracted. Ken is over reacting all the time. And Jenny can go. I find myself ff to the end to see the reveal.

• Love 4

Rottweiler is definitely Chris Daughtry. He’s from North Carolina

He is a comic book artist 

He was into theater in high school and he had a guest role on CSI (detective show)

An earlier episode mentioned the clue “It’s not over” which is a title of one of his songs  

They’ve shown that the Rottweiler grooms himself by shaving and Chris shaves his head  

Did anyone else catch the letters written on the chalk outline? It looks like HAMP inside of a heart to me, but I’m not sure what that stands for. I thought maybe it was for his 4 children, but the initials don’t match. 

• Love 4

I am loving the Fox and agree that he gave the best performance of the week. I like Rottweiler, too, but didn't think his song was as much of a showstopper as Fox's.

I don't know if Fox has dropped any clues about this yet, but I guessed he was Wayne Brady pretty early on because I remembered what a great singing voice he had on the Disney show Sofia the First where he played Clover, the rabbit. I just rewatched this and laughed because Clover even has some of Fox's same dance moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NsdNkA0zh4

• Love 4
On 11/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, Angeleyes said:

Did anyone else catch the letters written on the chalk outline? It looks like HAMP inside of a heart to me, but I’m not sure what that stands for. I thought maybe it was for his 4 children, but the initials don’t match. 

I thought it said CHAMP (like a belt), and if it is Chris Daughtry (or Daughtry), that might refer to his dead champion dreams on Idol, his "unconventional road to stardom."

I hate the revealing item segments, because they're so generic, they feel like filler to me. And this is a show that doesn't need more filler.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I thought it said CHAMP (like a belt), and if it is Chris Daughtry (or Daughtry), that might refer to his dead champion dreams on Idol, his "unconventional road to stardom."

I hate the revealing item segments, because they're so generic, they feel like filler to me. And this is a show that doesn't need more filler.

Ah maybe so. It was a little blurry when I tried to pause the video so I guess I didn’t catch the C. It makes more sense now. 

• Love 3
On 11/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, blackwing said:

Major subtle clue for the Flower was when she said she's going to kick off her heels.  Patti is known for kicking off her heels in videos and live performances.

Yup.   If I wasn't already on the Patti train wagon, that little subtle clue would've definitely sealed the deal.   

• Love 2

I had Kelly Osbourne picked from week 1 -- she was right that her speaking voice gave her away! I think it was the way she said "um" like "erm", and I recognised her arm movements. Kelly, Patti and Wayne Brady are the 3 I'd place bets on. So, it's up to Wayne for me now. 🙂