Type keyword(s) to search

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

NY and California opened all the way today, except if a business asks for masks.  So maybe the hospital is the same?

Hospitals in California still have restrictions (I was in one yesterday), but I expect Tennessee has few if any at this point.

• Love 1

It seems to be very selective, but I am in Nevada and hospitals, testing facilities, and doctor's offices still require masks.  Also, my husband had a jury duty summons yesterday and he needed a mask. 

Our state officially reopened on June 1st.

Josie posted pictures of Michael, Erin, and Katie with the baby and none of them were wearing masks.  

• Useful 2

So apparently Hazel is also in the NICU per Kelton’s IG. He says Josie will provide the full update. I had a feeling bc the pic w Katie was with Hazel in those eye goggles they put on kids when they need to put them in those lighted incubators like for jaundice. Kelton says she’s recovering quickly so it doesn’t sound like a Jadon type of thing. What’s going on though?? You have to wonder if the moms having Covid impacted the pregnancies.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I hope she recovers from the jaundice quickly. I always hate to hear about complications.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

But really, as they gush about God's plan do they ever stop to think that He is telling them to stop with the babies? To be fair they had no idea there would be issues, but maybe, just maybe, they will think twice about doing it all over again in a year.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 6
(edited)

Sounds like it's Rh incompatibility between Josie and the baby (or could be Josie and Kelton too and then the baby gets her blood type from Kelton and becomes incompatible with Josie). Interesting that it's something that does NOT affect a first pregnancy -- something about giving birth the first time with that baby's blood having contact with the mother's blood at delivery is what makes the mother's body aware that it's incompatible with (some) future babies. Jaundice at birth is one of the things it causes. I mean I get it. It's scary when it's YOUR baby in the NICU. But to hear them blather on and on on the show and in these posts about this being their rainbow baby and how they didn't know if they'd be able to get pregnant again (while announcing a pregnancy 3 mos post miscarriage) blah blah -- uh you were Rh incompatible and that's what caused that miscarriage. Then all the testing was done, it was known, you got the 2-3 extra shots you needed to get in pregnancy and here we are. It isn't AS big of a deal as they make -- with OMG mom's blood is fighting with baby's blood and God's hand is in there too . . . .

That being said sorry G&K but your daughters are not built to make 10+ babies each. Between the clotting disorder that Erin, Tori, and Carlin (I think?) have; Alyssa's heart issue which doesn't affect pregnancy specifically but it isn't advisable to be pregnant and give birth 35 times with any heart issue; Michael's nonspecific infertility (though who knows could be Brandon); and now this Rh issue of Josie's -- and who knows maybe some younger sister has it too -- yeah these daughters will have 4-6 babies max.

If G&K want 600 grandkids, they better hope they get some hearty daughters in law with birthing hips and bodies. Whit seems to be, Esther probably is too; not so sure about Tiffany -- she seems a bit petite and not particularly hearty.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5

Rh incompatibility is hardly an unknown condition though. Josie writes that Hazel's issues are  a mystery.  A little google search shows that the previous miscarriage may have exposed Josie to Rh positive blood.  If she had been treated with Rh immune globulin after her miscarriage the Rh incompatibility in this pregnancy may have been avoided. 

I had my last baby 29 years ago, but I am pretty sure they checked for Rh incompatibility just as standard test during the first trimester.  

I have to wonder if they just don't understand what the doctors are telling them, choosing just to "trust in Jesus".

• Love 6
(edited)

Rather than Rh which they would have tested Josie's blood during the first pregnancy to determine if she was Rh negative.  If she tested negative, they'd have tested Kelton to determine his status and given Rhogam for each pregnancy and miscarriage if needed.  It isn't rare or unusual.  However, it could be ABO incompatibility which isn't really rare.  All my babies had that and the doctors recognized it fairly quickly.  Two of mine also had Kell incompatibility which they didn't get straight until number 2.  There are blood factors beyond Rh and ABO and they can also cause problems.  

This article is a fairly straight forward explanation of the additional factors:

https://theconversation.com/blood-groups-beyond-a-b-and-o-what-are-they-and-do-they-matter-75063

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Rh incompatibility is hardly an unknown condition though. Josie writes that Hazel's issues are  a mystery.  A little google search shows that the previous miscarriage may have exposed Josie to Rh positive blood.  If she had been treated with Rh immune globulin after her miscarriage the Rh incompatibility in this pregnancy may have been avoided. 

I had my last baby 29 years ago, but I am pretty sure they checked for Rh incompatibility just as standard test during the first trimester.  

I have to wonder if they just don't understand what the doctors are telling them, choosing just to "trust in Jesus".

I mean many of the Bates act very modern in terms of clothing and social media whoring and home decorating, but let's be real they are uneducated. Very very uneducated. When the drs. were explaining Rh incompatibility, how it appears in pregnancy #2, how it causes jaundice at birth -- you know it was over their heads entirely. Sure right now it may be over their heads bc of exhaustion from labor and delivery, their baby being transferred to another hospital etc. But this is very much a known issue that had been discussed with drs. over 9 mos in much calmer settings at regular appointments and you know they just don't "get it" -- like they can't explain it back to you so that's why it's about mom and baby's blood "fighting" (WTF!?), this is SOOOO rare (it's not really - it's one of the standard things they test for), and God speak - God is testing us and Hazel blah blah . . . .

I mean I know Kelton went to "college" but it's not much of a college and he and Josie were both schooled around their dining room. There's years of critical thinking, reasoning, being able to understand/ask questions that they've missed out on. They don't magically just catch up bc he put a ring on it and they're making babies.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 10

Josie and Kelton's posts contradicted one another IMO. Kelton stated Hazel was transported to the NICU for minor issues...Josie states Hazel has a complicated blood issue that is a mystery to the doctors? Just doesn't add up. Are those two listening to the same people?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Josie and Kelton's posts contradicted one another IMO. Kelton stated Hazel was transported to the NICU for minor issues...Josie states Hazel has a complicated blood issue that is a mystery to the doctors? Just doesn't add up. Are those two listening to the same people?

In her post she says, 'Routine bloodwork in the first trimester revealed that Hazel’s pregnancy was complicated by an exceedingly rare blood condition, unlike anything the doctors had seen before.'

Rh incompatibility isn't rare is it? And the doctors have never seen it before? She's making it sound worse than what it really is. But, mind you, with their lack of education...

• Love 3

I’m just not sure if she actually understood what the doctors have been telling them throughout the pregnancy.  

If it had been me I would have asked a million questions and done extensive online research from reputable sites.  
But she probably just nodded and basically accepted that these “complications”  were part of God’s plan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

So Josie has confirmed that the blood incompatibility they have is not one where they can give the standard Rh shots. Time to stop procreating and leaving it in gods hands.

She’s still in the hospital but improving. They’re on day 5-6 of the NICU stay, longer NICU stay than Kelton implied at first for a minor issue. She’s going to end up rivaling Jadon’s 9 day stay.

• Useful 4

If these newborns are/were in the NICU due to their mothers contracting COVID while pregnant, I can't say enough about the careless actions of the parents. COVID is a new public health issue that we don't know everything about. Who is paying for this?...those babies. The Bates and Duggars are careless people.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

If these newborns are/were in the NICU due to their mothers contracting COVID while pregnant, I can't say enough about the careless actions of the parents. COVID is a new public health issue that we don't know everything about. Who is paying for this?...those babies. The Bates and Duggars are careless people.

Yeah I mean no one knows and I’m sure in their minds it’s all about God’s will not Covid, nor their own actions. So much is unknown about Covid - they’re still learning so who knows what they’ll find as effects from a mom who has Covid while pregnant (Whit) or has a pregnancy just after Covid (Josie). I mean there are certain viruses where you’re advised not to get pregnant for months afterward - for Zika it was determined that you shouldn’t get pregnant for six MONTHS after the MAN has Zika - you only had to wait for 2 months if the woman had it. Thing is these things just aren’t known about Covid yet bc they’re just trying to stem the public health emergency worldwide, it’ll take them years to sort out the effect on every body system.

J&K got pregnant last summer, had Covid, had a miscarriage, and got pregnant again like 2 seconds later — bc the birthdate of that baby and Hazel is only 3 mos apart. Now it’s totally possible this is just a blood abnormality that has always existed so this would’ve happened anyway but who knows bc Covid is having an affect on blood and vessels. Jadon IDK to me that sounds more directly Covid related - she gets it during pregnancy and he comes out with lung issues? Seems like a direct link that it affected his lungs.

Yet all of last year and certainly this year - travel, eating in restaurants, masks only if absolutely required and even then as a chin strap or as the daughters do it - a mask 3 sizes too big so you can still see their whole face, no staying home, big family gatherings bc FAMILY as we saw their Christmas gathering where they even announced oh Bobby and Tori aren’t here bc they’re sick but still sat around like fools singing indoors. Like hasn’t any of this scared them into pulling back - Erin with long Covid and 2 babies that they consider soooo precious in NICU?! Maybe consider a vax or staying in more even as the world reopens or a mask? It isn’t over as the new delta variant circulates.

I wonder if any Bates have quietly gotten vaccinated. IDK who would besides Michael & Brandon - while fundie they seem a touch smarter than the family, they seem like they read, Michael may have gotten info from nursing school re vaccines protecting her on the job and that could have convinced her and maybe even Brandon bc she could bring home who knows what from the hospital. IDK something about them seems more "independent" lately -- in a good way; like they do their own thing more, don't seem to hang with the family nearly as much in this last year, which I assume is pandemic related with -- I'm too busy studying for nursing school and Brandon for his certification -- being good covers.

Totally random but I follow a bunch of ER/ICU drs on Twitter bc they've provided good info all yr. One happens to be at Vanderbilt in Nashville and just tweeted this morning that all his ICU patients are unvaxed. He asks them if they ever consider the vax and he says the majority say -- I really wanted it but my spouse/mom/dad/sibling/friends/coworkers told me it was dumb, talked me out of it etc, I wish I didn't listen. He says the negative peer pressure to not get the vax is huge in places like Tenn. Which is why if any Bates got it, it would be someone who is quiet and independent and just snuck off to do it.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, cereality said:

Yeah I mean no one knows and I’m sure in their minds it’s all about God’s will not Covid, nor their own actions. So much is unknown about Covid - they’re still learning so who knows what they’ll find as effects from a mom who has Covid while pregnant (Whit) or has a pregnancy just after Covid (Josie). I mean there are certain viruses where you’re advised not to get pregnant for months afterward - for Zika it was determined that you shouldn’t get pregnant for six MONTHS after the MAN has Zika - you only had to wait for 2 months if the woman had it. Thing is these things just aren’t known about Covid yet bc they’re just trying to stem the public health emergency worldwide, it’ll take them years to sort out the effect on every body system.

J&K got pregnant last summer, had Covid, had a miscarriage, and got pregnant again like 2 seconds later — bc the birthdate of that baby and Hazel is only 3 mos apart. Now it’s totally possible this is just a blood abnormality that has always existed so this would’ve happened anyway but who knows bc Covid is having an affect on blood and vessels. Jadon IDK to me that sounds more directly Covid related - she gets it during pregnancy and he comes out with lung issues? Seems like a direct link that it affected his lungs.

Yet all of last year and certainly this year - travel, eating in restaurants, masks only if absolutely required and even then as a chin strap or as the daughters do it - a mask 3 sizes too big so you can still see their whole face, no staying home, big family gatherings bc FAMILY as we saw their Christmas gathering where they even announced oh Bobby and Tori aren’t here bc they’re sick but still sat around like fools singing indoors. Like hasn’t any of this scared them into pulling back - Erin with long Covid and 2 babies that they consider soooo precious in NICU?! Maybe consider a vax or staying in more even as the world reopens or a mask? It isn’t over as the new delta variant circulates.

Now you are making too much sense!  The Bateses have no sense at all. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I guess it’s wait and see for what if anything happens to Tori’s baby. Hopefully nothing but it sounds like they had COVID too. 

When is Tori due? I wonder if it makes a difference when in the pregnancy the mother had covid. Hope she and the baby end up being fine but yeah Bobby and Tori had it. They weren't at the Bates' massive Christmas celebration - when covid was widespread last year in the holiday season - bc they had it.

(edited)

They are home with the baby, which is good.   The usual God is good stuff on the post but they did thank all of the doctors and nurses which is nice. 
Alyssa has gone home so that’s five fewer people to descend on them.

I don't know if she will have the same issues with any subsequent pregnancies, but if that is the case, I hope the doctors were very clear about what they can expect. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

They’re home. Let the visitor parade begin. Maybe it’ll be fewer people bc Josie and Kelton seem a bit aloof/don’t like her family. But probably not, it’s still a precious BABY and goodness knows this family hasn’t seen enough of those 🙄.

Fear not aunt Katie has arrived in the house, is in the baby’s face, and touching the baby’s face repeatedly. I wonder if they wash hands before that type of thing?!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

They are home with the baby, which is good.   The usual God is good stuff on the post but they did thank all of the doctors and nurses which is nice. 
Alyssa has gone home so that’s five fewer people to descend on them.

I don't know if she will have the same issues with any subsequent pregnancies, but if that is the case, I hope the doctors were very clear about what they can expect. 

Its nice that they think the doctors and nurses. But its not like they'll learn anything from it. 

• Love 1

Well fresh from the NICU both Hazel and JadON have had their newborn photo shoots w/ various fundie Bates stalker photographers. Good let's invite more people into the home. I mean we can't just have a few thousand pics of the newborn that we take all day long since our phones are glued to our hands. We must have "professional" pics. Pandemic, RSV, and NICU be damned. The earth may spin off its axis if we don't get 10,000 professional pics with a few poster sized to hang above a piano. 

Those Balka genes are strong. Both daughters look just like Kelton. Nothing you can do but it's not an attractive look for girls. Something about his face is very punchable and he's passed it on to his girls too -- I think it's the lips. Not that anyone wants to punch babies, but just not cute. Hopefully it's a look both girls grow into by the time they're teens.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, cereality said:

something about his face is very punchable and he's passed it on to his girls too -- I think it's the lips. Not that anyone wants 

The Redditers nailed it when they said Kelton looks like a giant toddler. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's not an attractive look, period. I don't find Kelton the least bit physically appealing. Poor girls. People are already snarking on "grumpy" Hazel. 

I can't say I blame Hazel. Surrounded by Bates I'd be grumpy too.

• LOL 7

Any truth to the rumor that there’s some kind of rift or new lack of closeness between Josie and Alyssa and also Josie and Carlin? Per redditers, Alyssa and Josie used to be super close; one was MOH in the others wedding; crying over the other getting married; at Carlin’s wedding when J had been married just 6 mos they both got hair/make up done early and snuck off to get coffee and hang out just the two of them.

Can’t tell much via IG as J’s is just an ode to Kelton and Willow. I do notice J never like/comments on any Alyssa post even serious ones like her heart surgery. And it’s interesting that w just 1 kid we never saw J&K visit Alyssa & John in Fla; though to be fair it doesn’t seem like they travel - though I guess 2 babies in 2.5 yrs of marriage will do that.

Not sure how close Carlin and J ever were so no idea if there’s a rift there  Redditers go on about how when shooting videos w her sisters, if J is there Carlin purposefully ignores her and J has to find her way into the camera shot etc.

Wonder what’s up though if it is a thing w J and 2 sisters, the commonality is J. And it appeared after the wedding so I have a feeling Kelton may have some involvement. Or I just don’t like him - lol. I do think it’s odd that lately Alyssa has proclaimed more than once that relationships change and right now she’s all about Carlin and Katie; she has said it in multiple Q&A videos.

• Love 3

Wasn't Carlin at Hazel's birth (in the parking lot with Kelly? And didn't Carlin visit Josie's after they got home from the hospital? They may not be SUPER close, but I don't see a rift there. 

I haven't paid attention to Josie/Alyssa. But neither husband can travel because they have real jobs. I thought Josie made a trip to FL with Willow before covid, but I could be mistaken. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Wasn't Carlin at Hazel's birth (in the parking lot with Kelly? And didn't Carlin visit Josie's after they got home from the hospital? They may not be SUPER close, but I don't see a rift there. 

I haven't paid attention to Josie/Alyssa. But neither husband can travel because they have real jobs. I thought Josie made a trip to FL with Willow before covid, but I could be mistaken. 

The parking lot was Jadon. But yeah Carlin did visit Hazel at home. IDK about the Josie and Carlin rift theory - they seem like people who didn’t have much in common to begin with, married very different guys etc. Josie and Alyssa is more curious.

• Love 1

It's hard to tell with Carlin because she's so fake and desperate for social media content. I was eye-rolling her antics at Jadon's birth and the sappy "I can't believe I'm holding you in my arms" captions. Like, seriously? You're that hyped up over your sister-in-law's fourth kid? Whatever. 

I think something is definitely going on between Josie and Alyssa, although it surprises me. Their lives have pretty much followed the same trajectory: married to guys who do well in the trades, nice houses, nice lifestyles, plenty of disposable income. Outwardly, there doesn't appear to be any reason for resentment or jealousy. Normally I'd say, don't judge by what you see on social media, but this crowd puts every detail of their lives on the Gram. Josie not liking or responding to Alyssa's posts is strange, along with no visits and no pictures of them together during this recent trip. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I could have sworn I saw a photo of Alyssa holding Hazel, but I guess I am getting confused with Jadon.  But once Hazel was transferred to the NICU there would have been no visitors allowed.  That was standard practice even before COVID. And Alyssa left before Hazel was released.

Who really knows what goes on between the sisters?  I do know that I have seen photos of Carlin and Josie shopping together at Target on at least 2 occasions- there was no photo of the two of them, but Willow and Layla were together in a cart.  Carlin is the typical middle child- she seems to want everyone to like her and goes out of her way to help wherever she can.  Alyssa seems more stand-offish, but I have noticed that she says she is "close" to the siblings who come and help her- Carlin went to paint and Katie helped during the move.  I kind of get a "what have you done for me lately" vibe from her, to be honest.

Katie seems to flit around a lot.  I think she is just enjoying her freedom before she gets married and moves to New Jersey.  Not so sure her new husband will be ok with trips to Tennessee or Florida every couple of weeks.  But it appears she was watching Willow while Josie was in the hospital or going back and forth to the NICU.

Josie does not seem to travel as much.  But she got pregnant a second after her wedding, and both she and Kelton have businesses.  I think Kelton takes his work very seriously and they seem to be more careful about their money.  She is Katie's MOH, and I think they are close.  Maybe Alyssa was peeved that Josie never made the effort to visit her, which is a bit ironic since she doesn't travel much herself.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4

Has Michaela appeared in any of the new baby photos? Her relationship with her sisters is a complete mystery to me. I know she's close to Erin, but doesn't appear to have anything in common with the others. I get the feeling they view her as a stick-in-the-mud and she views them as annoying and materialistic.

• Love 3

Sibling relationships shift and adjust based on where everyone is in their lives so I can easily see Alyssa and Josie not being close right now. Maybe because Kelton and Josie didn’t go help with Alyssa’s new house Alyssa didn’t feel obligated to see new baby Hazel the minute she was born. Who really knows. With so many siblings it’s impossible to be besties with them all.

3 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Has Michaela appeared in any of the new baby photos? Her relationship with her sisters is a complete mystery to me. I know she's close to Erin, but doesn't appear to have anything in common with the others. I get the feeling they view her as a stick-in-the-mud and she views them as annoying and materialistic.

Yes I think Michael posted pictures of her holding both new babies on Instagram. But she doesn’t seem to be overly involved in a lot of the Bates shenanigans. Maybe cos she has a real job? Or is finally tired of doing all the work for Kelly Jo?

• Love 4
(edited)

You have to wonder if they all are just a little bit uncomfortable around Michael because of her infertility issues.  None of her sisters can relate to that except maybe Erin now, and that has affected their relationships.  Also, I get the impression that a lot of them view Michael as more of a mother than a sibling.  And yes, she does appear to be a bit of a stick in the mud, so while they are more than happy to ask for her help they don't seem to hang out much.

The thing that has really surprised me is there have been no photos of Willow with her new baby sister, despite Josie going on and on about how she couldn't wait for them to meet.  Willow may not be thrilled about sharing her parents' attention and may be refusing to pose nicely for photos.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Alyssa seems more stand-offish, but I have noticed that she says she is "close" to the siblings who come and help her- Carlin went to paint and Katie helped during the move.  I kind of get a "what have you done for me lately" vibe from her, to be honest.

Josie does not seem to travel as much.  But she got pregnant a second after her wedding, and both she and Kelton have businesses.  I think Kelton takes his work very seriously and they seem to be more careful about their money.  She is Katie's MOH, and I think they are close.  Maybe Alyssa was peeved that Josie never made the effort to visit her, which is a bit ironic since she doesn't travel much herself.  

I could definitely see that being the case. For the last few years it's been a parade of Bates visitors going down there to visit A&J and more importantly take care of her kids. With the move -- it was Katie down there multiple times along with Addie and Ellie (though they don't get a choice really); Carlin and Evan went multiple times to help paint and set up; even Trace/Jackson/Warden/Isiah went down there to lay floor and in general those 4 brothers visit her quite a bit esp given that they are brothers and not "obligated."

In all of this J&K have been no where to be found. That's totally their choice esp to NOT show up to do manual labor for A&J's new house esp with Josie then pregnant. But they don't visit EVER. For someone who purported to be soooo close you'd think they'd visit at least one time in all these years. I mean at the time of Alyssa's first heart surgery, Josie hadn't even popped out a baby yet -- bc it was 6 months into her marriage.

Again that is Josie and Kelton's choice but I imagine Alyssa judges that harshly bc in this cult while the baby is still inside you + with kid #1, you travel. It's not until kid #2 onward that you start bowing out of things bc it's too hard. Maybe Josie can't handle travel while pregnant or with 1 kid -- but you know Alyssa is like why not Erin did it when she just had Carson; Carlin does it etc. Everything is so comparative.

Part of me also wonders if Kelton is a part of this. He gives off a controlling vibe and seems FREAKED out by pregnancy and childbirth. I see him being the type who "doesn't like it" if she travels while pregnant. She did travel though to Katie's dress shopping, though you have to wonder if she sort of "saves it" for big occasions like that rather than fighting with him to go down to Alyssa's just because; and Kelton may have been more ok with her going for the dress bc she was flying with a big group of family -- just in case she felt sick or something.

Or it could be something broader. Maybe it's money. Kelton seems to take his business very seriously; John takes his work seriously too but Kelton moreso bc he's always talking about growing out the business. Maybe it is one of those -- nope you're not hopping on a flight to Fla. anytime your other sisters are going, I don't care if Allegiant tix are $50 it adds up. Maybe there's some jealousy issues -- I think Alyssa did feel superior being the first sister to marry into a comfortable living with a trades guy -- they were taking vacations, going on Sbux runs, date nights etc. before the other Bates were doing that (bc Brandon was working for that fundie org living in housing provided to them in expensive Chicago; and Chad was likely an hourly employee at that metals shop). Maybe she wanted that to be her thing -- and now here comes Josie with the same thing and it's "competition." I know Evan is a tradesmen too but still in school plus they seem terrible with money so it's probably not as much competition.

• Love 3

Interesting that Josie just posted video of herself filling orders while wearing baby Hazel in a carrier on her Instagram stories. 

As far as the plumbing business goes, he has only been in business for a year.  He owns it- he is ultimately responsible for its success.  He has had to buy trucks, equipment, rent an office space/shop, get licenses, insurance, etc.  For the first few years most of what he earns will have to be plowed back into the business.  He probably takes a modest salary and whatever Josie brings in from her business and IG influencer gigs supplements it.  So yes, not a lot of spur-of-the moment trips.  Also they will now have hospital bills to pay. I have no idea what kind of insurance they have, or if they have it at all.  Kelton does seem more money savvy then his in-laws so I would imagine they have something.

Maybe they are truly living within their means unlike most of her family.  And that means they cannot just up and travel to visit whenever they feel like it. 

• Love 8

Wasn’t there an Instagram story about Josie and her business partner going to DisneyWorld for a photo shoot? Or did I imagine it? Anyway I was surprised at the time that Alyssa didn’t show up, she lives in the area. So maybe Josie is much more “this is a business trip, don’t have time for personal visits” and Alyssa took offense. Again, who really knows, but I do sense a disconnect between those two.

• Love 3

I had totally forgotten about the Disney World trip.  Never occurred to me that she didn’t see Alyssa.  Maybe there is a rift.

Also, I had a thought.  Maybe Gil, being on the IBLP board, finally has health insurance.  And maybe he has all of his under 26 kids on his plan?  While these fundies may bitch about the ACA, I don’t see any of them having an issue taking advantage of it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, floridamom said:

COVID wouldn't lead to blood-type incompatibilities. It doesn't change people's blood types. 

I agree the Bates have been Covidiots from the start, but let's not blame everything on COVID.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Interesting that Josie just posted video of herself filling orders while wearing baby Hazel in a carrier on her Instagram stories. 

As far as the plumbing business goes, he has only been in business for a year.  He owns it- he is ultimately responsible for its success.  He has had to buy trucks, equipment, rent an office space/shop, get licenses, insurance, etc.  For the first few years most of what he earns will have to be plowed back into the business.  He probably takes a modest salary and whatever Josie brings in from her business and IG influencer gigs supplements it.  So yes, not a lot of spur-of-the moment trips.  Also they will now have hospital bills to pay. I have no idea what kind of insurance they have, or if they have it at all.  Kelton does seem more money savvy then his in-laws so I would imagine they have something.

Maybe they are truly living within their means unlike most of her family.  And that means they cannot just up and travel to visit whenever they feel like it. 

Very true. John's HVAC business is an established family business. I think he's said they've been around for 15-20 years. They have a ton of employees. They go in, do their work, get a paycheck. Kelton is starting his own -- on his own. He has Bobby but reality is Bobby knows nothing about plumbing and can mainly just help with ordering parts, stocking the warehouse, invoicing, etc -- though I guess he could do business generation/sales too.

But yeah Kelton said in a recent episode that when they started they were just using their 1 truck as their rolling warehouse. Now they have multiple trucks plus are renting a proper warehouse so there's a good amount of $$$ going out the door on rent for the property and possibly for the trucks as well -- it's possible he financed them or bought them with a rent to own type of lease. So yeah I guess he has to generate a certain amount of business every month no matter what just to meet those capital costs and to ensure he and Bobby have some salary.

I could see that translating to frugal living at home. They don't travel. Josie seems to thrift store shop a bit still while the other girls have moved past that. They aren't constantly grabbing meals at restaurants either. As much as Josie can't/doesn't want to cook like most of Kelly's girls, she figures it out most nights and shows a lot of her 15 min meals or crockpot recipes and they round that out with Kelton grilling regularly.

Earlier in their marriage (when Kelton worked for his uncle's established business), they were constantly going on coffee/breakfast dates etc. and we don't see that as much anymore - and I don't think it's covid bc even last yr when covid was bad if they wanted coffee or ice cream, they'd go and sit indoors no mask. But lately it seems like if they eat out it's a lot more grab the Dominos 5.99 deal and take it up to their favorite parking garage and enjoy the view (lol at the garage). So yeah if grabbing $20 worth of breakfast every week is something they don't do, I don't see them splurging on tix to Florida or anyplace a few times a yr.

• Love 5

I don't get the impression that these sisters are fueding with each other or jealous of one other. There were pictures of Jossie and Katie visiting Alyssa before Willow was born on their instagrams.  I doubt that Alyssa expected Josie to come and help her paint her new house when Josie was very pregnant and under the care of a specialist. And yes Kelton owing a fairly new business cannot just pickup and go on trips like Kellie, Katie and the 2 younger Bates daughters. I think it is a stretch to think Alyssa is mad with Josie for not helping her with the move. There are enough people in the Bates and Webster families to go around when a need arises. 

• Love 4

Alyssa herself said right now she is closest with Katie and Carlin, which seems logical based on what we’ve seen. I wouldn’t call her feuding with any other sister, but there does seem to be some distance. Which is totally normal if you have 9 sisters and 9 brothers, circumstances change, people change and maybe next year when Katie is off in NJ, married and pregnant, the dynamics will shift.

• Love 5

Josie is pushing the "having two kids is HARD" narrative on her Instagram stories. 

Kelton had to go back to work, and she posted about surviving day one alone (even though we didn't get out of our pajamas).  Then there was another post about surviving a trip to the pediatrician with both girls, asking if it was Friday yet, and thanking Michael for sending dinner to the house. 

I get it.  Going from one to two is a big change, although in my case I found it easier because I knew what I was doing the second time around. Still, I feel she is laying it on a bit thick.  This was her choice. They could have waited until Willow was a bit older to have another baby.  Also wonder if she is getting any help from the family, and if not, why?  Maybe they don't want a ton of visitors (I can understand that), or maybe everyone is just too busy doing their own things.

Carlin posted that they were on their way to her grandparents in South Carolina for a family weekend.  It will be interesting to see if any of the families with newborns show up, and if John and Alyssa make the drive from Florida.

• Love 4

They all pull that trick to fish for compliments and validation on social media.

It's like when Alyssa was whining about having to take all four kids to the store. If it's that hard, stop having them. Or better yet, stop wasting money on crap you don't need and hire a sitter.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Josie is pushing the "having two kids is HARD" narrative on her Instagram stories. 

Kelton had to go back to work, and she posted about surviving day one alone (even though we didn't get out of our pajamas).  Then there was another post about surviving a trip to the pediatrician with both girls, asking if it was Friday yet, and thanking Michael for sending dinner to the house. 

I get it.  Going from one to two is a big change, although in my case I found it easier because I knew what I was doing the second time around. Still, I feel she is laying it on a bit thick.  This was her choice. They could have waited until Willow was a bit older to have another baby.  Also wonder if she is getting any help from the family, and if not, why?  Maybe they don't want a ton of visitors (I can understand that), or maybe everyone is just too busy doing their own things.

Carlin posted that they were on their way to her grandparents in South Carolina for a family weekend.  It will be interesting to see if any of the families with newborns show up, and if John and Alyssa make the drive from Florida.

Yeah coming from such a large family it’s hard to believe Josie is overwhelmed by two kids. It does seem like more of IG story. It did look like she was doing some sort of shipping for work, so maybe that made things harder.

Saw Lawson and Tiff on their way to family farm, not sure who else. Probably everyone from the Big House but I would think Tori’s baby is too little plus she has 2 toddlers. But it’s the Bates, so there is pressure to always show up.

• Love 3

Right now the farm trip just appears to be Carlin & Evan; Law & Tiff; Katie & Travis. Maybe more of the married couples show up sometime today? Otherwise it just looks like G&K taking the kids who live with them. Interesting how C&E ALWAYS go on those types of trips that G&K take with the unmarrieds, while the other married couples really don't. I mean maybe this one is different since it's visiting the grandparents, I know see Brandon/Michael or another couple or two showing up, but by and large these married couples now do NOT glom onto weekend trips with G&K except C&E. C&E are always going down on beach trips etc with them when no other couple does anymore. 

• Love 4