Type keyword(s) to search

Carlin and Evan: But Mostly Carlin!

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

My state had a law go into effect yesterday that if a child is used for paid content on a family's vlog and is featured in more than 30% of said content, the parents must set up a trust fund and put aside a percentage of earnings. The child can access the funds when they are 18. The child(ren) get 50% of the content they are in, so if they are featured in 70% of the content they get 35%. Besides the fact that the math would probably be hard for Evan & Carlin, could you imagine their faces when they find out all the funds aren't theirs?
(I didn't realize the law was a thing until it made the news yesterday, but since I don't vlog and don't exploit my grands for funds I didn't pay much attention to it. But as soon as I read this yesterday I thought of these two)

I'm more concerned about the damage the constant play acting these kids are forced to do. They're too young to know what's normal and what's not. Its not like they are on set and then go home to normal life. Or even having an outside camera crew that comes in and then leaves. This is the kids every day lives and its their parents directing and filming.

They are also being taught that things and appearance is very important.

I really believe C&E's preoccupation with influencing makes them shitty parents and they're likely cold and distant to L&Z when the cameras are off.

While getting future compensation is great it doesn't give them back their childhoods. I suppose it will help with therapy though.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm more concerned about the damage the constant play acting these kids are forced to do. They're too young to know what's normal and what's not. Its not like they are on set and then go home to normal life. Or even having an outside camera crew that comes in and then leaves. This is the kids every day lives and its their parents directing and filming.

They are also being taught that things and appearance is very important.

I really believe C&E's preoccupation with influencing makes them shitty parents and they're likely cold and distant to L&Z when the cameras are off.

While getting future compensation is great it doesn't give them back their childhoods. I suppose it will help with therapy though.

I don't disagree with you at all, Carlin's constant search for content made me think of it. And I live in Illinois, so this wouldn't apply to them. As someone who also lived in Tennessee for several years, I don't see that state ever passing something like it to give those kids even that little bit of help.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I do wonder what level of education the Bates children received at the school of Kelly Jo Bates. Did they study a foreign language, advanced math, world history? Did they learn about other cultures and religions other than their own narrow views? Attending school is so much more than reading, writing and simple math.  I have a feeling that the Bates kids learned just enough to be literate. And it looks like most if not all will continue this same practice with their children. 

I think the Bateses are ahead of the Duggars and are capable of literacy.  Several of the kids finished at least a certificate or degree at a Christian college.  Zach was able to do the police academy.  I think most or all Duggars would struggle with any of those things.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

No hat with “slay” on it? What a missed opportunity.

They are always years behind any trend so teen layla will be trying to shill the slay hats.

• LOL 6
(edited)

So they began the pool July 1?  Bah humbug.  Does that mean it will be completed right about the time swimming season ends in Tennessee?

Edited by Absolom
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

So they began the pool July 1?  Bah humbug.  Does that mean it will completed right about the time swimming season ends in Tennessee?

With that little digger its gonna be a while. 🤣

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

Hmmm, I don't see any Dig Safe flags or markings. I wonder if they have pulled the proper permits and such.

And is this guy going to dig aimlessly? Usually there is at least a center mark, if not an entire spray painted outline.

Oh, oops maybe there are some markings. If those are for the pool, that's very close to the house.

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

If those are for the pool, that's very close to the house.

It’s very close to the patio. Another piece of equipment has arrived.

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

“I guess I'm just so surprised everything is happening so quickly I felt like this would be a longer process”

She’s such a ditz. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

She thinks it’s 14x20, and will go from 4’ to 5’, maybe 5 1/2 feet. It will have a slide, and a tanning ledge. Evan has added wanting “3 holes for water to shoot out of”. Between the patio and pool will be a patch of grass that they “will pour pavers into”.

She sounded ridiculous, and doesn’t know the difference between after and during apparently.

IMG_7155.jpeg

IMG_7156.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

I know everyone has different preferences, but I think Carlin is going to regret not putting in a deep end. Maybe it's not as much of an issue in TN, but in Las Vegas where I live a 4-ft pool would be a bathtub by the first week in July. Depth keeps the water cooler. On the flip side, she's probably planning on having twenty people there at any given time so a shallow pool has room for everyone to stand around. 

• Like 5

Yeah, that pool will be awful.

We have had two homes with pools, one in Dallas and one in Las Vegas. Both had 8 foot deep ends. Interestingly, the Dallas pool felt like a lukewarm bath by August but the Vegas pool never gets too warm due to constant evaporation and autofill. I think the humidity also played a factor. Knoxville is more similar to Dallas climate-wise. That pool is not going to be very refreshing. 

• Like 5
On 7/2/2024 at 4:30 PM, Absolom said:

So they began the pool July 1?  Bah humbug.  Does that mean it will be completed right about the time swimming season ends in Tennessee?

I’m guessing that it’ll be completed by Thanksgiving.

• Like 6

It looks like the pool will be very close to the edge of the patio. if that were my house I would be checking the doors constantly to make sure that the kids could not get out. This scares especially with Zade being so young and not understanding the dangers of water.  

• Like 9

Looks like The Stew Crew is headed to Bill & Jane’s farm, Katie posted they were too. Another invasion of Bates, hopefully this isn’t too overwhelming for the grandparents.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Looks like The Stew Crew is headed to Bill & Jane’s farm, Katie posted they were too. Another invasion of Bates, hopefully this isn’t too overwhelming for the grandparents.

I can understand them all going. It's Bill's birthday, and they don't know how many they have left with him. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, 65mickey said:

It looks like the pool will be very close to the edge of the patio. if that were my house I would be checking the doors constantly to make sure that the kids could not get out. This scares especially with Zade being so young and not understanding the dangers of water.  

I noticed that, too.  The kids seemingly will have little yard in which to run around and play and, unless they're planning on removing the patio, it is going to be very tough to properly fence in the pool, not that these dunderheads were planning on it.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

This sounds like the same pool their friends have—not that deep and a tanning ledge. I don’t like that it’s so close to the house. I’d have put it more towards the back and alarm the doors to the yard. 

• Like 5

I really hope it's a law where they live (they're in TN??) that they have to put a fence up around their pool.  My brother and sister-in-law wouldn't let my mom watch my niece until she had the pool fence installed.  I think it became a law in FL back in 2000.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

In my area we have strict guidelines about pool safety. Above ground pools need to be in a fenced yard and have a ladder that can be secured from entry when not in use. Inground pools need their own fence - meaning if the yard is already fenced in, the pool needs another fence. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I'm not an engineer or expert, but I have empathy for their neighbors. I doubt they are doing things in a way that won't affect drainage. Rainwater has to go somewhere. 

Carlin showed her "intelligence" again today in the video from the farm. She tells her grandfather it is his birthday and America's birthday so that means "the whole world is celebrating" him. Does she not realize July 4 is not a holiday in other countries?

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 16

Look at that slope. I hope they plan on landscaping because that will be a dangerous place to mow.

Also, what side is their garage on? I hope they left room to get the mower out.

image.png.4d9672ea7506d58acd44348d44d14a9c.png

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Also, what side is their garage on? I hope they left room to get the mower out.

The garage is on the right side of the house, looking at it from the front. This is from the rear before they bought it. The door on the left is where the garage is. 

IMG_7189.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The garage is on the right side of the house, looking at it from the front. This is from the rear before they bought it. The door on the left is where the garage is. 

IMG_7189.jpeg

It looks to me like their garage door aims right towards the end of the pool and will be rather close. They do have a walk around though.

• Like 3
On 7/4/2024 at 9:52 AM, Salacious Kitty said:

I can understand them all going. It's Bill's birthday, and they don't know how many they have left with him. 

It would have been better to stagger it. People with dementia can and often do have meltdowns in large crowds and with overstimulation. You can see in the ILY Day party videos he was shutting down and barely responded at times. The videos show he does much better with 3-4 people around him at a time. I get that the big party is a tradition for him. 

I hope that Gil's sister and brother (because Gil has no common sense at all) structured things so that he had time and space to get away from it all. Between that many people, so many small children, and all the videos going on, as well as the heat and general commotion of a cook out and missing routine - it could be way too much for him. 

By staggering things, Jane could have kept her sense of normalcy but there would have been a safer space for Bill. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer's are unique to each and every person. IMO, Papa B looked fine and was even doing walking exercises with a grandchild and great grandchild.

The visiting Bates were spread among three homes and at least one RV. Janie is not one to hold back her opinions so I'm thinking Bill had plenty of down time amongst the flurry of Batesness.

Unfortunately, the worker bees and most caring - Michael, Erin and Alyssa - weren't there.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I think Michael was there- just being her usual helpful self in the background. From what I could tell it was Zach, Carlin, Katie, Trace, Michael and Gil and KJ with some of the younger kids. 
ETA: on Reddit they were discussing  Gil’s prayer that God “unjumble” Bill’s mind. Sure Gil, all the people suffering from dementia but God is going to cure YOUR father. 🙄

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I wonder if they're even aware that they need to stagger visits. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. 

A few of the siblings have said they are trying to stagger visits so that they (Bill and Jane) are not overwhelmed. 

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer's are unique to each and every person. IMO, Papa B looked fine and was even doing walking exercises with a grandchild and great grandchild.

Unfortunately, the worker bees and most caring - Michael, Erin and Alyssa - weren't there.

Michaela was there and was being helpful. He did appear to be having a good day. He was at least having a better reaction than he did at the Valentine's Day party where he was clearly overwhelmed and nearly silent/unresponsive. I'm sure it helped that he was at his own home. 

I think it is great that they do honor him with a birthday party. I just worry from experience with several relatives who have dementia or had it and are now deceased, large gatherings can agitate him. Such incidents can be very scary for the young great-grandchildren. My auntie who was the most docile and sweet woman ever would become violent and start harming herself and others when agitated by crowds especially when she did not remember or recognize them. When we had a small birthday party for her, we had to make sure we had a go-plan in place to remove her from the situation quickly and easily. My grandmother had similar issues, especially with small children. She would try to be kind and caring but would experience increased anxiety that would boil over. 

Jane's her own woman and seems outspoken still. I suspect she's struggling herself though. She seems sharp but the video of her at Thanksgiving indicated she was fixating on preparing the meal and Trace/others were having to distract her. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

How sad @RebeccatheWriter. Hugs.

My 3 personal experiences were different. My mom was as chill as can be in all situations, with the exception of a few nightmares, up until she died. My uncle was also very chill no matter where he was, but ended up in long term care (was very short term for him) because he tried to take his walk everyday and kept outsmarting my aunt. My very good friend's mom actually did better with more folks around. When home with a family member she'd either shut down or start to do typical 'housewife' stuff, like cooking and ironing which never went well. At gatherings she was more lively and chatty. Her chatting was usually repetitive or nonsensical but no one let her know that.

I hope Janie, her daughter and her other son are watching out for Papa Bill and they have things under control.

I didn't know Michael was there. I thought I read an IG reel where she wished him Happy Birthday and added that she see him soon. Guess it was not her IG, lol.

• Like 4

Wow, that's an awful lot of yard dug up for a small pool. I know there's probably going to be a concrete patio surrounding it, but man, they're losing a good chunk of green space. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How sad @RebeccatheWriter. Hugs.

My 3 personal experiences were different. My mom was as chill as can be in all situations, with the exception of a few nightmares, up until she died. My uncle was also very chill no matter where he was, but ended up in long term care (was very short term for him) because he tried to take his walk everyday and kept outsmarting my aunt. My very good friend's mom actually did better with more folks around. When home with a family member she'd either shut down or start to do typical 'housewife' stuff, like cooking and ironing which never went well. At gatherings she was more lively and chatty. Her chatting was usually repetitive or nonsensical but no one let her know that.

I hope Janie, her daughter and her other son are watching out for Papa Bill and they have things under control.

I didn't know Michael was there. I thought I read an IG reel where she wished him Happy Birthday and added that she see him soon. Guess it was not her IG, lol.

I think they are doing well with him right now. He appears clean, alert (most of the time), and safe. If he is like many with dementia, he may start wandering. That will be a sign they either need round the clock care for him (Jane's not in any condition to chase him out across a cow pasture) or potentially long term care. With my grandmother she was being cared for by a son and daughter but we didn't realize she knew where her medication was stored. She was practically overdosing on medicines because she would forget she took it. 

His mobility is pretty good and for now he's remembering to use devices like canes and walkers. There might come a time that he forgets to use them. I wish in all the visits that someone would build them a ramp. Jane is having some arthritis related issues and those concrete stairs are not even. I have some mobility issues and cringe looking at them. I did see they have finally added a hand rail to them.  

Michaela was seen in Carlin's video at about 6:10 in the video. She was in the kitchen talking to some of the kids and cooking.

• Useful 3
22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, that's an awful lot of yard dug up for a small pool. I know there's probably going to be a concrete patio surrounding it, but man, they're losing a good chunk of green space. 

I think some of that dirt is what was dug out and is covering the grass.

• Useful 1

I wonder who's going to do the daily maintenance for the pool. Those bugs and pine needles aren't going to skim themselves out, and I can't see Dumb or Dumber doing it. They probably haven't even considered the routine maintenance a pool needs. 

I guess they'll have a "sweet friend" come over every day, or maybe Layla and Zade will have to start earning their keep. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
On 7/7/2024 at 10:41 AM, GeeGolly said:

It looks to me like their garage door aims right towards the end of the pool and will be rather close. They do have a walk around though.

That's what I was thinking. They would probably bring the mower out of the garage door in the front. That small door in the back is just for walking in and out of the garage. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 65mickey said:

That's what I was thinking. They would probably bring the mower out of the garage door in the front. That small door in the back is just for walking in and out of the garage. 

Disclaimer: I don't do my own lawn mowing or landscaping.

My bet is that they don't own a mower or don't use it. Carlin was commenting on a neighbor's lawn mower being loud in her video the other day. She proceeded to say, "they (the neighbors) were having their lawn mowed." I'm thinking they have hired a service. She and Evan were so proud of themselves with planting bushes out in front of their house - I'm clinging to the belief they don't do manual labor except for clicks. 

5 hours ago, Heathen said:

I wonder who's going to do the daily maintenance for the pool. Those bugs and pine needles aren't going to skim themselves out, and I can't see Dumb or Dumber doing it. They probably haven't even considered the routine maintenance a pool needs. 

I guess they'll have a "sweet friend" come over every day, or maybe Layla and Zade will have to start earning their keep. 

They will probably have a video or two where Carlin freaks out finding a frog or something similar in the pool. But they are going to hire someone for sure. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

The Stew Crew has never shown ANY footage of Evan mowing the lawn, front or back.  Or edging, weed eating etc.  To me that means they have a lawn care service come and take care of it.  If Evan was doing it, we would have seen footage of it, and he would have gone out and purchased a huge riding lawn mower that would have been shown to their followers as the big machinery that it is.  

21 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

His mobility is pretty good and for now he's remembering to use devices like canes and walkers. There might come a time that he forgets to use them. I wish in all the visits that someone would build them a ramp. Jane is having some arthritis related issues and those concrete stairs are not even. I have some mobility issues and cringe looking at them. I did see they have finally added a hand rail to them.  

IIRC, I believe Zach took measurements to build a ramp on a visit last Spring. Or maybe it was Trace.  Don't know why it hasn't been built yet though.  

• Like 5
15 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

They will probably have a video or two where Carlin freaks out finding a frog or something similar in the pool. But they are going to hire someone for sure. 

Ha ha, it'll probably be Evan freaking out. Remember when the snake got into the house? Carlin knelt beside it to show Zade while Evan was in the background squealing. With regards to the pool, a service will be money well spent. 

• LOL 5