Type keyword(s) to search

I Love View: The Show Positivity Topic

Kromm
  • Start Topic

(edited)

(Read the title aloud!)

All of the other threads (probably rightfully) are down on The View.  So here's the place to talk about the things, past and present, that DO seem to work and/or that you appreciate.  

Edited by Athena
Read the title.
  • Love 3

Sadly, there is nothing in the recent past very positive to talk about. The view was at it's best with cohosts that were intelligent, quick-witted, were tolerant of others opinions but could hold their own in discussions, knew when to inject humor but not enter into buffoonery and maintained the original vision of women of diverse ages discussing current topics. Those women were Meredith, Joy, lisa, barbara ( when she wasn't repeating herself), and to a lesser extent rosie, whoppie and Starr. They were at their best when some cohosts had journalism or news background and discussions tried yo be fair and discuss both sides of an issue in a meaningful way.

I get that there needs to be a little pop culture, promoting of other ABC shows and stars and appealing to advertisers but the over emphasis oh reality shows, Kardashians, gosselin a and other crap has increased dramatically in recent years. The over emphasis on ABC products may have been because they were having trouble booking guests. Instead of hustling through several guests it would be great to go back to less guests and longer time slots devoted the guests and important topics being discussed.

I taped the show regularly in the early years but, after hasselbeck had joined and about a year became hard to watch, I only saw it sporadically when there were guests I was interested in our the chat on TWOP ( and now here) got me interested to check it out. As long as TPTB make this a fluffy entertainment show that does not discuss relevant topics, it is just another blah, blah, chat fest and not must see TV in my book.

• Love 5

I loved the season that Rosie was on. :)  It was the only one that I faithfully dvr'd and watched, otherwise it was a show I watched during maternity leaves and from a sick bed, I mean like terrible flu where you are out for a week.

I'll go to my corner and hush up!

• Love 4

What works? The End Credits! No matter what happens during the hour before, they never fail to let everyone know that for at least the next 23 hours, there's no show to watch so it's no wonder there's such great cheering!

What do I appreciate? The fact that I don't know anyone involved in this!

• Love 4

I could not stand Meredith Viera and never watched when she was on.  The show became must-see TV when Rosie was hired and they discussed politics and topics that interested me.  Rosie's high intelligence and obvious passion for certain subjects kept me glued to the set (or TWOP).  I've always like Whoopi (note: Whoopi, NOT WHOPPI, fercrissake) , so I kept watching when Rosie left.  The show was interesting in those days; it started sliding downhill when Bits obviously became Geddie's little pet and Joy was told to take it easy on her.  It's gone downhill quickly ever since.  They can re-work it all they want; lightning does not strike twice in the same place.  Put it and us out of its and our misery.

• Love 2

I'm not sure Joy "sold out."  I think she was muzzled...and definitely not happy about it.  Seeing her on her own talk show showed what View viewers were missing.

Joy stopped being "combative" (wrong word probably) and less engaging when she got her new show....... because so often she would snag a guest from The View to bring to her HLN show..... that is why I see her as selling out..... but these are just my own observations.

• Love 1

The idea of 5 women from different walks of life/ages was a good idea. 

Too bad they (Baba) could not respect the other's views than her own (Debbie, Whoopi, Bits at the end, Rosie for sure, especially). 

• Love 1

Rosie made the show great..... and honestly I miss Joy from before she sold out..... her jokes were stale but she sure could make a biting remark when it was needed.

Joy wasn't my favorite originally because I so liked Meredith, Lisa, and even Rosie (with some reservations). Still, Joy did well with them. Later she became a favorite by comparison. I liked her much better some days than others.  I'm not certain about what you mean by selling out. I admit I pretty much stopped watching about a year ago so maybe I missed it. 

• Love 1

I don't think Joy sold out, but back when I was still watching the show I did notice how quiet she became once she had her own show. It seemed like she didn't care, wasn't going to put in the effort, and saved her questions for her show because she often had The View's guests appear on her show.

• Love 3

I think Joy lost her oomph/was muzzled when LeBits was groomed to be a wing nut and recycle Limbaugh's lunacy.  She was turned into a bully - standing, pointing, overtalking and yelling. - -Joy hung in there for a while.

I saw the major change in Joy when she was forced to apologize to o'reilly for walking off.  I was offended that lebits was not forced to apologize to Maher for her equally rude and offensive attack.  Double standard indeed.

I believe that Joy was muzzled - you could call it selling out since she did not quit right then - and would engage only when lebits would go into her outrageous worst.  I don't blame Joy for hanging onto a job, but in her last year she was sidelined in a big way.

• Love 7

I think Joy sold out for various reasons - told to muzzle it (to make EH seem smart) to enhance her own show by having the same guests, and also save her questions (without blue cards) for them later. BW didn't seem to appreciate having the same guests either, lol.

Joy did seem to do it better on her own show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Joy was the main reason I started watching this show, and I loved her from beginning to end. I really wish she had kept her HLN show so I could still see her on TV, but I know she was sick of the court talk (so was I). 

I don't think she "sold out" at all. I think after what went down with Rosie, she knew Geddie and Barbara were in Elisabeth's corner and played her cards very safe. She was too smart to be painted as the fat, old, ugly, loud, liberal villain to Elisabeth's poor, pretty, Christian conservative victim act like what happened to Rosie. Moreover, I think Joy, like any normal person, wasn't willing to lose very easy money for the sake of going to town on someone as ridiculous as Elisabeth--partly because it would ultimately be pointless. Elisabeth would only get the pity-me card if she did so anyway.

I also love Meredith Veira, and like Lisa, Whoopi and Rosie.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 8
(edited)

Oh....My....GOD!!!  I have something to add to "The Show Positivity Topic" !!!

I laughed--I cried!   I usually enjoy humor quietly, but today I laughed out loud--at the simplest thing (all alone in the house).  That Internet guy who walked through the grocery/department store pretending to talk into his cellphone...describing what other shoppers were doing.  Why it struck me funny, I have no clue. I cracked up.

The singing janitor made me weepy.  What a great voice--and a humble guy.  And then--and THEN...out comes Ben E. King (more tears), still handsome.   I loved so many of his songs when I was a young lady out dancin' the night away.   

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 1

It's really hard for me to say positive things about the show because there are so many wrongs going on there. I'd list them, but I don't think the person that came up with the topic of this thread wants me to do that. So, in general -- 

I like the Hot Topics. I like how they bring stuff newsworthy to the table and discuss them. (trying real hard not to go negative with the things they do WRONG, like lack of research and fact checking)

I don't know if they were the FIRST show to do this in that format, but it seems other shows try to duplicate it.

I really enjoyed it during the time period where Rosie was a host.

Ummmkay, other than that, I got nothin.

• Love 4

And Lisa Ling.

Adding onto this, but I remember thinking that Joy and Meredith, and to a certain extent, Babs and Star, really liked and mentored Lisa. That group seemed to know each other socially and much better. I have no problem believing Lisa would be in touch with those ladies to this day. I am at a similar age now when Lisa was on and have developed good friendships with female colleagues older than me. It was a great dynamic to see on air.

When they got the new "young one", it wasn't the same anymore.

• Love 5

I don't think she "sold out" at all. I think after what went down with Rosie, she knew Geddie and Barbara were in Elisabeth's corner and played her cards very safe. She was too smart to be painted as the fat, old, ugly, loud, liberal villain to Elisabeth's poor, pretty, Christian conservative victim act like what happened to Rosie. Moreover, I think Joy, like any normal person, wasn't willing to lose very easy money for the sake of going to town on someone as ridiculous as Elisabeth--partly because it would ultimately be pointless. Elisabeth would only get the pity-me card if she did so anyway.

I agree. I don't think Joy "sold out." I think she "checked out" after what was done to Rosie and it became clear the direction the winds were blowing. She showed up, generally kept her head down and played it safe, collected her paycheck and quietly went about doing her own thing and looking to her own future elsewhere. Can't say I blame her, but it was disappointing for those hoping for a final epic Joy smack down of Elisabeth before one or both left.

• Love 6

Adding onto this, but I remember thinking that Joy and Meredith, and to a certain extent, Babs and Star, really liked and mentored Lisa. That group seemed to know each other socially and much better. I have no problem believing Lisa would be in touch with those ladies to this day.

I think that might really vary depending on if Lisa's exit from the show was totally voluntary or not (she claimed to Larry King recently though that it was--saying it was because she didn't want her whole career to be sitting in a TV studio)

I think that might really vary depending on if Lisa's exit from the show was totally voluntary or not (she claimed to Larry King recently though that it was--saying it was because she didn't want her whole career to be sitting in a TV studio)

I can believe that Geddie wanted her out, but I think Babs liked Lisa. As someone else mentioned on these boards, Babs did seem to genuinely like Lisa and Meredith probably because they were journalists as well so she felt she was contributing to their success. I felt Lisa's departure was an amicable one from what I remember watching on TV, but who knows what went on behind the scenes. 

• Love 1

I think Lisa went directly to NatGeo from The View. As I recall, she had her own show along with two or three other young journalists and they did hour-long investigative reporting shows. I remember when she left she said that kind of journalism was her first love and it was the kind of work she wanted to get back to. I'm not sure, but I think at some later point she started doing segments for Oprah concurrently with her NatGeo gig (or promoting on Oprah stuff that she had done), and then eventually started working for Oprah.

I'm convinced that the decision to leave was hers. I think she also wanted to move her homebase back to California where her sister and her aging parents live.

• Love 5

I may have this wrong....but as I recall BW and Oprah have a "respect" for each other, publically at least, and didn't Lisa go to Oprah when she left The View?

I think Babs respects two things about Oprah:

1) Oprah has said that when she first started in television, she tried to model herself after Barbara, and 

2) Oprah has more money than God

As I see it, that's the lens through which Babs views other people in deciding whether to give them any respect. Do they defer to the greatness that is Babs and are they extremely wealthy?

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3
I can believe that Geddie wanted her out, but I think Babs liked Lisa.

Athena - Believe it or not, Lisa and Bill are actually friends and maintained their friendship after her departure from the View.  I remember when she got married, he went to her wedding in CA and described it to the audience.  IIRC Bans didn't go.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure where to post this but I have a suggestion

It would be so cool if there were a thread where we could discuss issues that are not covered by The View by our community members.

To keep with the focus of this thread..... I love how the new show seems more genuine and not so scripted.... yes there are scripted parts... but over all there has been much improvement with a great panel of hosts

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 1

It would be so cool if there were a thread where we could discuss issues that are not covered by The View by our community members.

You can use the Small Talk topic to have social, non-show discussion. However, we are not going to have a politics and current issues topics. David T. Cole has vetoed it and mentioned it a couple months ago in this forum. Thank you. 

• Love 1

I am pretty impressed with what the four ladies are wearing this season. Each has their own style. In particular what Rosie P. And Nicole wear are terrific - elegant but with a touch of hipness, age- appropriate, classy and really well fitted. During the makeover segment today they mentioned the show's fashion coordinator was Fran Thomas. Is that the same person that did the last couple of seasons? Because it's hard to believe the same person that dressed Sherri so badly is dressing the hosts now.

• Love 2

I agree about Rosie P and Nicole's clothes. They both look great! I'm sure Whoopi isn't willing to let anyone dress her, and Rosie O seems more concerned with comfort over style, but it's nice seeing adults look like adults. I have a feeling Sherri wasn't taking style advice from anyone.

• Love 1

...today they mentioned the show's fashion coordinator was Fran Thomas. Is that the same person that did the last couple of seasons? 

Fran Taylor has been the stylist for the past several years.  Maybe Thomas is a married name?  If it is the same person, I'm wondering if the new hosts are more amenable to her suggestions for outfits.   I can somehow imagine Sherri insisting on wearing something "youthful and sexy" and Fran basically having to comply.

I have a feeling Sherri wasn't taking style advice from anyone.

A LEGEND needs no advice from anyone...on lifestyle, fashion, hair/make-up, child-rearing, career strategy, politics, religion, education...should I go on?

• Love 3

Fran Taylor has been the stylist for the past several years. Maybe Thomas is a married name? If it is the same person, I'm wondering if the new hosts are more amenable to her suggestions for outfits. I can somehow imagine Sherri insisting on wearing something "youthful and sexy" and Fran basically having to comply.

I think that's probably about right. My sense is that the role of the wardrobe people on a show like this is to get a feel for each host's personality and personal style and then find a large number of items for each of them to choose from. I think the wardrobe folks can do their best to try to encourage the hosts to try new things and outfits that are better suited for them, but ultimately they work for the hosts and the hosts call the shots about what they want to wear. I have no doubt that they tried valiantly to encourage Sherri to try things that were more suited to her age and body type and that Sherri, once she's been there for a little while and felt comfortable asserting herself, insisted on letting her tacky flag fly. I seem to recall that when she first started on the show her wardrobe tended to be more appropriate and flattering, and then she lost that weight and everything started to get tighter, shorter, cheaper looking and, on occasion, better suited to someone who makes their living in a much older profession, if you know what I mean....

I may have heard the last name wrong...the first name was definitely 'Fran'. Deleted the show so I can't go back and check. It's probably the same person. She has stepped up her game this season. And I agree that Sherrie probably vetoed a lot of more appropriate clothes so we often saw her in short, illfitting , sleeveless stuff. Jenny usually looked great.