Type keyword(s) to search

Community in The Media...(and a Movie?)!

All current (aka Season 5) series regulars will be back for Season 6. Donald Glover, meanwhile, will not be returning, TVLine has confirmed.

:'( After season 5 I feel as though Donald Glover/Troy is required to make the show work. I'm honestly a bit terrified of what season 6 will bring.

• Love 2

As happy as I am for Community's return, Donald Glover left such a hole in the show that I'm not sure I want an entire season without him.  I love Troy and Abed (In the Morning! - or any time during the day).  I didn't really miss Pierce, but Troy left a big void.

• Love 2

I think Troy's year traveling around the globe should be over and maybe gets to do a couple of eps. maybe the final 2?

If a movie is made, make it rated R and have Annie and Britta naked (yeah they have been naked in the show but covering themselves.)

• Love 1

Yay for the sixth season!

The budget supposedly won't be reduced, but neither Jonathan Banks nor John Oliver will be coming back and both were quasi-regulars in the fifth season, so I wonder if they'll cast another quasi-regular or try to budget for some exterior shots instead.  I could see them going either way, because IMO the group needs a Pierce-like character and a Troy-like character -- they never did fill that void though in the fifth season.

They certainly need a Pierce-like character; Jonathan Banks filled that spot very well, but maybe had gotten to the end of his story anyway. I hope they can find another actor who does equally well. I wish it was Ken Leung who was unavailable now, as having to incorporate him has just wasted my time for years now. And though I miss Troy (and even more, the Abed-Troy interaction) dreadfully, I can't see adding someone new to fill his niche as working out well. Maybe I'm wrong.

I still can't believe it happened. I'm also a bit miffy on season 5, but there were some pretty cool episodes, and I feel that this show deserves a real closure. Maybe they could get Troy for the finale, at least?

Inside the Last-Minute Scramble to Save Community

"Six seasons and a movie" almost didn't happen. As June drew to a close, time was running out to save Community, which NBC had canceled in May. Talks to move the comedy to streaming service Hulu were falling apart, the deal options to keep the show's cast intact expired at the end of the month, and much of the crew and key writers had already moved on to new jobs. Even the comedy's offices on the studio lot had been taken over by a new series: Grace and Frankie, Netflix's upcoming sitcom starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin.

(edited)

I missed Pierce more than I thought, watching the reruns of the first few seasons on tv. He had the lines that made me LOL, they were so un-PC & inappropriate.

I really really hope Troy comes back, at least at the end. Abed isn't the same without him, they worked so well off of each other.

Edited by Mrsjumbo

I didn't mind Pierce.  He certainly wasn't my favorite character, but I liked his relationships with Troy & Jeff.  The show was missing something when he left, and that something wasn't filled by the grumpy old teacher whose name I have forgotten.  The void wasn't as big for me as it was when Troy left, but there was definitely something not quite right without Pierce.

Britta, on the other hand, could leave and I wouldn't care.  She's my least favorite character on the show and when story lines are Britta-centric, I tend to stop paying attention.  

• Love 1

The other gig was announced months ago, and as a multicam, will almost definitely be easier on her schedule than Community. For actors, multicams have a day for table reads and later in the week, a day for shooting the episode. Single-cams like Community have long shooting days the entire week.

Paget Brewster and Keith David will be joining the show.

Two new Human Beings are on their way to Greendale. Paget Brewster and Keith David will join Community full time as the comedy enters Season 6 and moves to its new home on Yahoo! Screen.

Brewster plays Francesca "Frankie" Dart, a consultant hired to help shape things up at the underachieving school. David will appear as Elroy Patashnik, a retired scientist who comes to Greendale to reinvent himself.

Edited by arc
  • Love 1

I am reasonably hopeful.

In my opinion, the biggest weakness of the last few seasons was pacing. Story arcs that would have worked in a full-length season were sometimes just shoehorned into a shorter one. So Season 5 had problems like "Um... when exactly did Troy and Britta have these relationship problems again?" Then when Harmon came back in Season 5, they again had a show-runner who wasn't used to the short season, so the comedy to drama ratio was sometimes a bit off. That shouldn't be an issue this time. Also, in the S5 commentary, Harmon makes it clear that he recognizes a lot of his mistakes and knows what he would do differently.

I never missed Pierce as much as I expected to. Plus, he has such a history of faking his death that I'm sure he's perfectly happy bragging to Gilbert about Eartha Kitt.

Shirley was always the most under-utilized of the Core 7, so, no offense to Yvette, I do think the show can still be great without her. Seems like whenever they let her out of Church-Lady mode all it ever ended with was character assassination followed by a reset button.

Troy and Abed were the funniest duo on the show, but Abed with anyone is great.

Meanwhile, Jeff and especially Britta have shed their early season straight-man personae and because satisfactorily zany (case in point; their "Knock! Knock!" "Floor!" argument in "Geothermal Escapism,") Change is still Chang, and Annie continues to hit everything they give her right out of the park.

My biggest concern, honestly, is that I'd really come to enjoy Buzz Hickey, as a character as well as for his (usually) mature influence on the others. And with Dean Pelton not even pretending to be an authority figure any more, I worry about how the group will stay grounded while still remaining themselves.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2

I forgot that Pierce faked his own death a bunch of times.  I would love for Pierce to return for S6, but his in memoriam episode was amazing.  There's no way that the show should revisit it like Remedial Chaos Theory.

I am cheered right up from learning that Dan Harmon is aware of the missteps of season five. Phew. I hope there's a back-to-basics approach for season 6 because the dynamics were so different last season with Pierce and Troy departing, plus Hickey that I wish we'd had more time getting to know the new group as a new group.

Annie and Shirley overlapped in some ways as to what they could contribute to a storyline so I think that they can soften the blow of losing Yvette easier than they could for, say, Danny Pudi. I will miss Shirley but I like Yvette and I think she'll be just as successful if not more so with other projects.

The cast chemistry has survived a lot, so here's hoping it stays streets ahead through the crazy season 6 changes as well.

• Love 1