Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

On another thread someone posted a link to an article with a Q&A about Fixer Upper. You can read it at http://hookedonhouses.net/2015/03/23/hgtv-behind-the-scenes-chip-joanna-on-fixer-upper/#more-70074

I thought this was interesting and answers the question about the "bonus feature" in every episode:

Question: Do the homeowners pay for the renovations?

Answer: According to the Waco Tribune, “HGTV doesn’t fund the renovations, though producers may throw in some extra landscaping or design flourishes. Homeowners who agree to share their remodeling projects with the nation must invest at least $30,000 in the project, with the money going to the Gaineses. HGTV also pays Chip and Joanna a talent fee and covers the cost of one bonus feature in each remodel.”

That's what I had guessed.  It's usually very small 1,500-3,000 unlike the amount given on other shows.  Still, very nice to have a bonus.  They should get something for being filmed!

Oops, sounds like someone needs a new intern, lol!  They probably couldn't disrupt their shooting schedule but hopefully it's corrected at some point in the future.

I don't think they correct those bricks.  I think they print on them exactly what the donor types on the form.  I guess 'grandad' is an accepted spelling in some countries, though.  

That's what I had guessed.  It's usually very small 1,500-3,000 unlike the amount given on other shows.  Still, very nice to have a bonus.  They should get something for being filmed!

Would you pay double housing costs for probably (at least) several months to receive a few hundred dollars, after taxes *?  (BTW, for tax purposes, they charge / 1099 both the time and material at full retail value.) 

IMHO that was the typical, ptb p/r.  I previously explained why I believe it's much more in one of my previous posts so won't bore everyone again!

*ETA:  s/b plus your 15 minutes of fame, lol!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I don't think they correct those bricks.  I think they print on them exactly what the donor types on the form.  I guess 'grandad' is an accepted spelling in some countries, though.  

I considered that possibility.  I believe the problem is people spelling phonetically, as it sounds to them, utilizing their regional area's pronunciation.  Their spelling is the 3rd option in the American English dictionary so I'm sure it's fine.

Chip and Jo can welcome a new intern with an American English dictionary for their desk, lol!  Ain't gonna happen, hahahaha ...

Agree, it's minor and most people wouldn't care but it's the type of thing that would bother me.  BTW, pretty much anything can be corrected in life, IMHO, if someone wants to badly enough.  Bricks can be blasted out, etc.

Ah, it's Fixer Upper so the nice people at Baylor might comp it, if Chip or Jo care (not likely, IMHO) in exchange for the exposure the university's received.  Let's see, the soccer coach, football team pastor ...  did I miss anyone, lol?

Hmmm, Jo comes off as very precise.  Don't know if I'd want to be one of her design assistants.  (I've heard she has 7 for the show, BTW.)  Perhaps that's how they came up with the (faux, IMHO) Chip as part of the design team story.

Edited by aguabella

You'd think with 7 design assistants they could come up with something besides pooled drapes, giant clocks, white subway tile and all the other repetitive elements.  

Thanks once again, aguabella, for your insights. I agree about the last homeowners--the husband seemed to be going along with the deal to make his wife happy. Perhaps she thought of it as promo for her real estate business.

While it's been interesting to see some 'newer' homes fixed up, I really miss the concept of Season 1--fixing up disasters that would have been torn down if they had't been rehabbed. The most recent episodes in Season 2 have been homes that for the most part could have been moved right into despite being ugly and not up-to-date with HGTV's holy trinity of granite, stainless steel, and hardwood floors. We did that with our last house...moved in and then set to work refinishing kitchen cabinets, updated the bathrooms, installed new appliances, ceiling fans, and new flooring, plus a few other projects. Our floorplan was good, but we did end up moving a doorway to create a breakfast room out of what had been a storage space and removed a linen closet we didn't need because the house had three of them,

My guess is that in Season 3 we'll have to suffer through fixing up the Silos, which will further cut into the original concept of the show.

Thanks, CruiseDiva, anytime.  Agree, I preferred S1, too.  They must be receiving tons of casting applications.  Have to wonder if they're increasing their Magnolia bottom line by upselling beautiful, upgraded fixtures / materials instead of using valuable time to repair disasters.  (Sorry, can't help but make it about dollars and cents.) 

Sounds like you've made terrific choices on your renovation.  Most people don't have the guts to remove and/or rework unneeded closet space.  And, many times it can be recaptured to make spaces more livable.  Would you do it this way again, i.e. after moving in?

Am trying to keep an open mind about their S3 Silos project but the family melodrama (IMHO) when they introduced it didn't help!

• Love 1

I caught an old episode today and I just figured out one reason why the show has begun to bore me. It's too damned long! Cut out the Chip antics and the fake drama and the "we still have some money left" and return to the half-hour format....

Kinda' funny, mojito.  I never watch reruns but had one scheduled on the dvr (Friday, 7 pm, IIRC) to check a few reno scenes / details.  The dvr recorded the hour normally.  The episode, however, appeared to be already in progress by around 5 minutes or so when it started.

Well, it ended normally, showing the final, post-reno / reveal scene at its usual time.  So, perhaps the network had some technical difficulties earlier in the day but showed a few extra commercials during that hour to catch-up.

Mystery solved??  Well, maybe a portion of it, lol ...

Edited by aguabella

Joanna has good taste, but like others have stated, it is completely "one note".  Shabby Chic, country contemporary, whatever you want to call it, every house looks the same.  Does EVERYONE in Waco want the same house?  Or perhaps the people that go to them, what just what they see on TV.   How many more rooms with the large clock on the wall can se look at?  I watched 4 shows in a row, and everyone was identical to the other.  Instead of looking "fresh", they are looking "same 'ol, same 'ol".

If this is what they do, fine.  But a real designer can do rooms that are not their own personal taste.

• Love 2

Count me among the folks who are a little tired/bored with this series.  While I (sometimes) like the interplay between Chip and Jo, many times, I think they're doing it so that Chip has a bigger role on the show.

The designs for each house are too similar.  Of course, if this is what the clients want, great!  But, I get the feeling that the houses are redone and staged with things that Jo picked out instead of using items that the client already has or that the client picked out.  

• Love 4

I'm finally catching up with Season 2, and in the episode with the house with the crazy catwalk/stairs, they tour what Chip refers to as the "Crumbling Mansion," for only $144,000.  I considered leaving the midwest for Texas to buy that home.  Absolutely gorgeous, and most of the budget and work was on the pillars outside, but that house was jaw droppingly wonderful and I'm irritated that they showed me that house and then didn't pick it.  I was literally yelling at the TV to please please please please pick that one.

• Love 2

Just came across this show and I'm interested in getting caught up with some midwestern albeit Texas home reno.

My daughter went to Baylor so it makes catching up with the past episodes something I look forward to.

• Love 1

Joanna has good taste, but like others have stated, it is completely "one note".  Shabby Chic, country contemporary, whatever you want to call it, every house looks the same.

I really like Joanna but I hate HATE HATE her style, and technically of course their clients like their Magnolia style, but I was so mad I missed the fixer upper couple who wanted a mid century modern home/style. I'd really like to see her work with clients with more off beat and more contemporary tastes.

Also: I'm pro ecology, but fuck shiplap.

I have a question.

In the episode with the builder/realtor, where they had to buy the lot behind them, how could Jo suggest he later build a house on it and sell it? Wouldn't their new garage still be too close (1.5 feet) to the property line? That made no sense to me.

I have a question.

In the episode with the builder/realtor, where they had to buy the lot behind them, how could Jo suggest he later build a house on it and sell it? Wouldn't their new garage still be too close (1.5 feet) to the property line? That made no sense to me.

If he owns both properties, he can ask the city to replat the two lands to make the original property bigger and the new property smaller. It would essentially push the property line back enough to make both properties legal. If he didn't own the adjoining land, this would be extremely hard to accomplish and a lot more money would be spent working out logistics.

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to the silo project. I love this shabby cottage style personally so I never tire of seeing the decorated homes although.......

The designs for each house are too similar.  Of course, if this is what the clients want, great!  But, I get the feeling that the houses are redone and staged with things that Jo picked out instead of using items that the client already has or that the client picked out

I too would love to see more usage of the home owners items. I miss this aspect in every current design show though. Even I could buy all new and make a house look great. It's working with your own flawed and occasionally ugly possessions that is the challenge. I'd LOVE to see those types of shows come back.

• Love 2

I too would love to see more usage of the home owners items. I miss this aspect in every current design show though. Even I could buy all new and make a house look great. It's working with your own flawed and occasionally ugly possessions that is the challenge. I'd LOVE to see those types of shows come back.

I agree. I would like to see more of the owners' character than Jo's, especially since I am tired of her distressed wood. I keep thinking how sad I would be if I walked in my home and saw some of her decorating. I would like to see how she could jazz up a room around my boring pieces but make it look like I live there.

Question - do the clients at least get a say on the paint color of the exterior? This one house she just painted green and I would be sad with a green house as I don't like the color green generally. She does a great job with the neutrals and the light colors in the interior, even the light greens. :)

Scruffy, there's one episode where the couple bought a really cool house with catwalks all over the place. Jo ventured out of her shabby style for that one. It had kind of an industrial/steampunk feel if I'm remembering correctly.

I love distressed stuff and have to contain myself otherwise I'd have my whole house scraped up.

Scruffy, there's one episode where the couple bought a really cool house with catwalks all over the place. Jo ventured out of her shabby style for that one. It had kind of an industrial/steampunk feel if I'm remembering correctly.

I love distressed stuff and have to contain myself otherwise I'd have my whole house scraped up.

She still put a lot of the shabby chic look in the house, there's plenty of distressed wood & flowers http://www.hgtv.com/shows/fixer-upper/fixer-upper--bringing-a-modern-coastal-look-to-a-faceless-bunker-pictures

Slight hijack -- but to the post above, there used to be a show on HGTV that would redo a room from things found around someone's own home. I can't remember the name of it, but I loved that! They would pull things from other rooms, or attics/basements and rearrange things for a totally new look - with their own things.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Joanna and Chip & looking forward to seeing what they did with the Silos   :)

Slight hijack -- but to the post above, there used to be a show on HGTV that would redo a room from things found around someone's own home. I can't remember the name of it, but I loved that! They would pull things from other rooms, or attics/basements and rearrange things for a totally new look - with their own things.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Joanna and Chip & looking forward to seeing what they did with the Silos   :)

I remember this. I think there was a British version too, probably the original. I miss those. Few of us have extra tens of thousands of rehab money nor do we want to replace all of our belongings with fresh store bought things (or we can't afford it anyway). It's so boring. However, should Joanna offer to come redo my house here's my number: 1-800-call-me!

I'm usually not into the personal stuff, but I enjoy their family scenes. And every time they show their little farm it makes me want to pack up my wagon and move to the country. I've noticed they're very close to what seems to be a busy highway. I wonder where they live.

• Love 2

The show you're thinking about was called Decorating Cents, and it was hosted by Joan Steffend.  I liked that show too.

• Love 2

The show you're thinking about was called Decorating Cents, and it was hosted by Joan Steffend.  I liked that show too.

No, I remember that one. I liked it, too! The one I'm thinking of is different.....

This show went through your house, attic/basement - other rooms, and took stuff you weren't using and used it in whatever room they were doing on the show. They'd rearrange the furniture to give the room a whole new look.

I'll try to see if I can find it. I hate when I can't remember! :)

No, I remember that one. I liked it, too! The one I'm thinking of is different.....

This show went through your house, attic/basement - other rooms, and took stuff you weren't using and used it in whatever room they were doing on the show. They'd rearrange the furniture to give the room a whole new look.

I remember that show too, but this old brain can't remember what it was called either.

• Love 1

I remember that show too, but this old brain can't remember what it was called either.

I don't feel so bad now :D

I even went to HGTV to see if any of the old shows looked familiar but, no. Did find out they've done away with their message boards :/

Maybe it'll come to someone soon.

I hate the "you guyses" and the misuse of square feet ("This gorgeous house is 2,000 square foot.") so much that I emailed them during last season's final episode. I said I was so aggravated by all the bad grammar that I had trouble watching the show. So sue me. Good grammar matters, especially when you're constantly bragging about graduating from Baylor University. I'm a Texan and used to local ways of speaking, but this is just lazy. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new season, and I'm anxious to see how they respond to "constructive" criticism.

• Love 2

I only hope this has been mentioned before, but just in case.......

"You guyeses."

That is all.

OMG - i thought I was the only one hearing this!!!!   It's so annoying.  I'm from the Philly area and I say a lot of things, but I was taught proper grammar.   I think I saw one episode where both of them said it at least 20 times during the show.   I really wanted to send an email.   I don't care for y'all's either.     I think Joanna has pretty taste, but I agree every house looks the same.  

I'm glad I found this thread. 

Edited by MissT

You should not come to Texas, then.  For your own sanity.

Or in many parts of the US, for that matter. I grew up in PA, and spent my freshman college year in Arkansas. People there made fun of me saying "you guys" when I was referring to women, or any group of people. I'm married to an Alabama boy, living in Maryland, and I say y'all all the time, and hear it every day.

I like this show and Chip and Joanna. I find them enjoyable.

• Love 1

I grew up in the Northwest and up to the point I was 22 years old had never heard "y'all" used except 1) on Hee-Haw, or 2) ironically.  I guffawed out loud the first time I heard it after I moved to Texas - we were being seated in a restaurant. I am still embarrassed about that.  Now I accept that it's just the way some people in this part of the country speak. I have been known to use it from time to time. When in Rome, you know.

On topic: I never even noticed any of Chip's vocal tics until I read this forum. They don't bother me. I like this show.

• Love 3

The one hosted by a young guy (the host changed at least once, however) who'd map the design out on screen?  Also, they were busted at some point for having the participants spend a grand or so on new items that were then planted throughout their home for the designer to "find" later.  That one??

WRT the language and expressions used on the show, y'all (!), I believe the issue is their overuse of the catchy / folksy phrases, i.e. not merely their use of them.  (We recognize that people speak that way in TX and/or the South.)  That is, their overuse of them to create a folksy, down-home, good-ol TX guy or gal HGTV dramatic character.

• Love 1

Just to clarify, I have no problem with "you guys," it's the "you guyses" that makes my teeth hurt. We all know they're in Texas, and we say "y'all" all the time. I think they should just keep it real and say "y'all."  I am so ready for this show and my other faves to start their new seasons!

I really like Joanna but I hate HATE HATE her style, and technically of course their clients like their Magnolia style, but I was so mad I missed the fixer upper couple who wanted a mid century modern home/style. I'd really like to see her work with clients with more off beat and more contemporary tastes.

Also: I'm pro ecology, but fuck shiplap.

A little shiplap goes a long way, IMHO!

WRT the mid-century modern episode, it's frequently repeated.  It could be difficult to find on the schedule b/c the episode title doesn't mention mid-century.  It's called, "Couple with Baby on the way looks for a Funky Fixer Upper" and listed as S2/Ep11 on the HGTV website.  (The episode number may vary on the TV Guide or cable system dvr.)  And, there's one other S2 episode title that references a pregnancy.

Currently, S2/Ep11 repeats are scheduled for 11/17, 11pm plus an overnight replay;  11/22, 11am; 12/1, 7pm;  and 12/26, 2pm.  (The times are EST/PST.)   I'm sure they're airing tons of repeats leading up to the S3 kick-off on 12/1 so hope you can catch it, blixie.

If anyone's looking for other specific repeats, they usually list them on the website (hgtv.com).  See the show page and then click on the "Episodes" tab, followed by the season number to locate upcoming repeats.

I'm looking forward to the silo project. I love this shabby cottage style personally so I never tire of seeing the decorated homes although.......

Definitely agree, bubbls but I'm sure you understand it'd be a logistical nightmare for the show.  Jo would require at least 1 add'l design assistant or intern to maintain an ongoing inventory of ho vs. staging items.  And, as you mentioned, it's basically an entirely different show.

Plus, there's the other, real reason, i.e. it'd restrict or limit their ability to highlight both Jo's tchotchke's and all their sponsors' crap, e.g. Home Goods!

• Love 1

I have a question.

Although I agree with Saylii that the ho can theoretically replat the land and build or simply sell it off, I don't believe he'll go that route for several reasons.  First, he'd probably set up a shared driveway, granting an easement to the other ho for access to their lot.  Second, said easement would negatively affect or essentially devalue his property - that is, the land value wouldn't be split between the two lots proportionately.  (His home, individually, is worth more as a stand-alone unit, IMHO.)  Third, although the couple would obviously profit (overall) by selling off and building out that lot, as higher-end** buyers, I suspect they value their privacy more.  It's comparable to an airplane's first-class cabin - people will pay for additional space, separating them from their neighbors!

When I heard Jo's comment during the episode, it came off as something a realtor, contractor or other salesperson says to highlight the bright side of a negative situation.  Want that garage?  You'll need to purchase an entire additional lot to make it happen.  Yeah, we messed up** but think of the profit when you eventually sell that separate unit! 

If anyone follows up and determines that indeed, the couple went ahead and built a home on that lot, I have a feeling that confirms this Chip/Jo home isn't their forever home and they'll be moving sooner rather than later.  JMHO

**BTW, I can't remember if the garage situation was a Chip/Jo error and what the couple's budget was but as a home-builder or executive, I do recall that they came off as higher-end buyers, to me.

I am born and raised in the Deep South. I truly hate hearing "y'all". For me, it's you all or you'uns

Just got back from Savannah where everyone local over fifty asked "are y'all Yankees enjoying the south". My friend being from the DR told her she grew up in New York but preferred the Mets to the Yankees. I merely explained that saw Louisiana is indeed in the south, and the "war of northern aggression" has been over for a minute now. Man how "y'all" makes me bristle.

What do Joanna and the Toddler man plan to do with those huge, rusty silos?

• Love 1

Are you thinking about Design Remix? They would take things from other areas of the house to redo a room.

With this host: Karen McAloon

Jl7MxqN.jpg

Edited by Honey

Don't know if I'm on the same page as Illini959 but the shows mentioned above, e.g. Karen, Emily and Joan/Decorating Cents had small design budgets.  The show I was thinking of, IIRC, had only a meager, $100 or so, supplies budget.  (Probably how they got in trouble, having homeowners plant new items!)

It was hosted, again IIRC, by a fairly young guy with a comedy background.  The glass or plexi board, used to list / formulate their design plan, was quite distinctive.  The episodes had a young, hip pacing / vibe.

I've seen this question come up a lot regarding whether Joanna and/or Chip are licensed agents and don't know if it's ever been really answered. As a licensed agent in Texas, I myself, was curious as well and decided to check. Actually, anyone has the ability to check as licensee info is public domain on the TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission) website.

Anyway, Chip is indeed a licensed Realtor, Joanna is not. The broker Chip's license is with is just some random guy who has roughly 25-30 agents under him, so Chip isn't with one of the big national firms, ReMax, Century 21, etc., and I doubt it's even with a local boutique RE firm, as the broker's address is just a P.O. Box.

HOWEVER, what really surprised me was to learn that Chip only got his license at the very end of 2014! The TREC site shows all the dates of the RE classes the agent has ever taken from the required classes needed in order to apply for you license as well as the classes required every few years for continuing education. I was able to see that Chip took all the classes needed for getting one's license in November of 2014. I guess the Gaines' realized they could make even more money if one of them could serve as the buyer's agent as well.

A bit off topic, but my husband occasionally pays sporadic attention to Fixer Upper while I'm watching it and one time after Joanna mentioned something about her store he jokingly asked, "I wonder if people can buy her signature black eyeliner there too - Cleopatra has nothing on her!"

Heh. Ever since he said that, her eyeliner is about all I see now. I mean don't get me wrong, she's gorgeous which exotic looks (appears to have a bit Asian and American Indian in her heritage), but she does pile it on a bit heavy and I feel would look even more pretty with a smidge lighter touch with the black kohl.

Edited by LicketySplitPea
  • Love 1

I've seen this question come up a lot regarding whether Joanna and/or Chip are licensed agents and don't know if it's ever been really answered. As a licensed agent in Texas, I myself, was curious as well and decided to check. Actually, anyone has the ability to check as licensee info is public domain on the TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission) website.

Anyway, Chip is indeed a licensed Realtor, Joanna is not. The broker Chip's license is with is just some random guy who has roughly 25-30 agents under him, so Chip isn't with one of the big national firms, ReMax, Century 21, etc., and I doubt it's even with a local boutique RE firm, as the broker's address is just a P.O. Box.

HOWEVER, what really surprised me was to learn that Chip only got his license at the very end of 2014! The TREC site shows all the dates of the RE classes the agent has ever taken from the required classes needed in order to apply for you license as well as the classes required every few years for continuing education. I was able to see that Chip took all the classes needed for getting one's license in November of 2014. I guess the Gaines' realized they could make even more money if one of them could serve as the buyer's agent as well.

A bit off topic, but my husband occasionally pays sporadic attention to Fixer Upper while I'm watching it and one time after Joanna mentioned something about her store he jokingly asked, "I wonder if people can buy her signature black eyeliner there too - Cleopatra has nothing on her!"

Heh. Ever since he said that, her eyeliner is about all I see now. I mean don't get me wrong, she's gorgeous which exotic looks (appears to have a bit Asian and American Indian in her heritage), but she does pile it on a bit heavy and I feel would look even more pretty with a smidge lighter touch with the black kohl.

I addressed the realtor issue earlier, on 1 of the FU threads.  I believe Chip was purchasing and rehabbing homes for his own account after college and Chip/Jo, at some point, purchased and/or started a realty firm to reduce their own transaction costs, employing an office broker to manage it. 

It's easy entry into that business.  For one thing, the realtors all work as independent contractors.  Even though the big firms have invaded Waco, swallowing up independents, Magnolia Realty remains intact.

No, Chip/Jo didn't need to become realtors to open Magnolia Realty.  Likewise, they need not be realtors for FU's production company's purposes.  Why not?  Well, Chip/Jo work as actors, i.e. the "talent", on FU.  It's reality television, i.e. not real.  Like HH, the house hunt is recreated drama. 

The buyers previously closed on each of these homes as required by tptb.  Productions companies are not willing to follow homeowners around with camera crews in tow for months on end on the off-chance that they might purchase a home and the sale doesn't fall through. 

And, more importantly, production companies don't do housing transactions.  They will not assume that risk, taking responsibility for unknown defects or failure to disclose the home's issues.  Filming 4-6 purchases/renovations simultaneously, they prefer to be in and out of Waco to minimize expenses.

WRT Chip, why did he take the classes, test and obtain his license?  I suspect he completed the classes to legitimize his acting role on the show - basically so curious viewers like you and me would find his name reflected on the TX records.  Otherwise, if he'd been the agent all along, representing either the buyer and/or seller (doesn't matter which side of the transaction or both) in each of the 26 (IIRC) FU episodes aired to date, the TX records would have reflected him as such.

Chip's sponsoring broker apparently works for Magnolia Realty so am not sure what you were reading, LicketySplitPea, on the TREC records.  I assume he's the aforementioned "office broker" b/c he's sponsored all the Magnolia agents, save one.  (Looks like their website requires some serious updating.)

Here's Marshall Gummelt's broker information, including the Magnolia agents he sponsors:

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/newsandpublic/licenseeLookup/LicenseeDetail.aspx?inType=02&id=ng&inLicno=511089

Here's his public address information, i.e. Magnolia's office address:

http://www.har.com/marshall-gummelt/agent_justinp

And, the Magnolia realtor listing, updated ???:

http://magnoliahomes.net/real-estate/real-estate-agents/

JMHO but I doubt Chip/Jo ever served as an agent IRL, either buying or selling, on any of the FU homes aired.  They're acting.  If one of their agents was involved, prior to the show's involvement, that may have been acceptable, assuming the production company and their attorneys were satisfied it was a separate transaction and Magnolia, including their independent contractor agents, carries sufficient insurance.  I'm not 100% certain they'd even accept that!  For their purposes, the production company would prefer that the purchase/sale be handled separately, entirely.

Hope that addresses the issue and any questions.  Sorry for the long post.  I know many posters / viewers have been interested in this question.  JMHO, as usual.

Moving on to more critical issues, haha, your husband called it on the black eyeliner, LicketySplitPea.  Don't give them any ideas - they already peddle Jo's jewelry and handbags for rabid fans, trying to recreate her signature look.  Coming soon to both Magnolia and a CVS near you:  JoJo Cosmetics and Skinceuticals!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2