Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

One thing that I've been thinking about lately, and it refers back to a number of comments way upthread, is how much of the Gaineses religious beliefs play into this show. They do appear to be at least fundie-lite (their on-camera relationship and the way Joanna dresses certainly aren't hard-core fundie) but it's interesting that AFIK not ONE of their clients has been a same-sex couple, which is highly unusual for HGTV. Now some of this could be because the Waco area (and most of Texas) isn't exactly gay-friendly so those clients just aren't there, but after the recent debacle with Benham Brothers, I wonder if HGTV is trying to downplay the Gaineses beliefs and hope that no one notices the lack of diversity in that area (they HAVE featured mixed race couples).

This seems like some pretty serious stretching in order to criticize, considering that their religion has never once been brought up on camera, and there have been only 20 shows. 20 shows set In Waco, Texas.

I prefer to just enjoy the thing for what it is. No more Home Goods trips, though, because that was painful. 

• Love 10

Eh, it's no more of a stretch than some of the really out-of-left field speculation I've read here and on TWOP. Producer-manipulation conspiracy theories, anyone?) I'm not saying there's any conspiracy here, it was just a thought I had because their (possible) religious beliefs were mentioned upthread and because HGTV is one of the most LGBT-friendly mainstream networks I can think of and LGBT couples have been conspicuous by their absence here, even if it's just 20 shows. HGTV took a lot of heat on both sides, first for green lighting the Benhams and then for dropping them so I wondered if there were any concessions being made for Fixer Upper. The Gaineses are a very attractive couple, they do excellent work–personal tastes notwithstanding–and it's an enjoyable show to watch, unless Chip gets any more buffoonish. I'll continue watching until something newer and shinier comes along.

• Love 2

No more Home Goods trips, though, because that was painful.

That was almost as bad as Jon Taffer's product placements on "Bar Rescue" (sadly, a favorite of MrChicklet's)

I liked the metal/wood table Clint did. Not crazy about the benches. I would have loved to have mixed it up with upholstered parson's chairs (which I believe HomeGoods has, so JoJo missed as product placement opportunity).

Just once, I'd like Joanna to present her 3 options for using the "extra" money and hear the homeowners say, "No thanks, we'd rather keep the cash."

Ha!  That would be rich.   I wonder if the "extra" money is a bonus item for the homeowners.  On Property Brothers, I believe the show contributes "free" design and 10K$ to the budget.  Maybe on this show, it's the "extra" which is usually around $1,500 to $3,000.

First, the people on the show have had to apply, and to do that, they have to be in the market for a fixer-upper, and willing to spend $x, so every stage cuts down the potential number of contestants.

On this last show, I was really hoping they'd get back to picking elegant houses, gone to seed, as they used to.

• Love 2

First, the people on the show have had to apply, and to do that, they have to be in the market for a fixer-upper, and willing to spend $x, so every stage cuts down the potential number of contestants.

On this last show, I was really hoping they'd get back to picking elegant houses, gone to seed, as they used to.

Me too, but I wondering if they are running out of those really broke-ass gone to seed houses as more people choose fixer uppers and/or as the economy improves? Or maybe their show is just attracting more higher-end purchasers, which is a pity.

Generally, I appreciate the older, often smaller and more modest homes (at least in earlier episodes) as an antidote to conspicuous consumption, McMansion-type houses. I like seeing people choose the former type of home rather than the biggest, most ostentatious thing they can get a mortgage for.

• Love 3

Me too, but I wondering if they are running out of those really broke-ass gone to seed houses as more people choose fixer uppers and/or as the economy improves? Or maybe their show is just attracting more higher-end purchasers, which is a pity.

As I'm watching the current season right after the first season, the budgets seem much bigger. I don't think they had anyone with a budget of $300,000 to $500,000 in the first season, but they've had a few in this season. 

Oh my. Tonight's episode featured a home buying husband & his real estate agent wife. Wouldn't she already be totally familiar with the local houses for sale? Heh. Plus, when I noticed the piano in the house they ultimately "selected" it was immediately obvious that it was the house they'd purchased in order to appear on the show. People don't leave behind expensive baby grand pianos like that when they move out unless the buyer wants it included in the purchase. The piano was also featured in the "reveal" decor, but not mentioned.

Then Chip & JoAnna spent a good portion of the show conferring with their children & fretting over the purchase of "the silo" property for her business. As if they hadn't already bought it.

They then really jumped the shark by making another shopping trip to (ta-da!) Home Goods! More craptastic product placement.

I didn't see a lot about the fixer upper house reveal that screamed "French Country" although Chip & JoAnna mentioned the term numerous times, particularly in reference to what they planned for the fireplace, which ended up with painted brick and a heavy wood mantle. No, not French Country IMHO.

The real estate agent & her husband weren't over the top in their surprise and glee during the reveal. That was refreshing. As was the use of real chairs around the Clint Harp dining table. The new front porch was a nice addition, but again painted brick.

The piano, and it looked like a full size grand piano, not baby, to me, was a HUGE giveaway for the house.

I really like this show. Chip and Joanna are so likeable to me. I'm saddened by the Home Goods products placement, but that's TV these days.

Side note: The only reason my husband watches this show with me is he thinks Chip is a hoot. I'm guessing focus groups said the same.

• Love 1

Well, it's happened. I got so bored by this show that I turned it off and removed it from my DVR. I'm finding myself being irritated by Chip and JoJo referring to themselves in the third person when they talk to their kids (why must we have to watch them telling their kids that "Mommy and Daddy are going to help the Addams family find a home"?), the "Gomez and Morticia, are you ready to see your fixer upper"?, then break for commercial. I'm pretty tired of open concept, which seems inspired by a high school gymnasium until it is then cluttered with a bunch of tchotchkes and too much furniture, the stools beneath the island that are too high to sit on unless you sit a yard away from the counter top, the whole darned formula. Nice, refreshing show until the HGTV script writers and the buyers with deeper pockets ruined it.

Too bad, I really liked this show last season.

• Love 7
The piano, and it looked like a full size grand piano, not baby, to me, was a HUGE giveaway for the house.

Joanna's blog said the piano "came with the house." Sure it did.

Well, it's happened. I got so bored by this show that I turned it off and removed it from my DVR.

With the lack of discussion here, it appears that a lot of people have lost interest.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hate it when the powers that be interfere with what was charming about a show.  They've cranked up Chip to a 10 when it was sort of amusing at a 3.  And a little goes a long way with the family/personal life.  I think Tuesday's show was about 1/3 or more personal stuff - too much - I did a lot of fast-forwarding.   Oh, well - Flip or Flop is back next week.  I'm sure that HGTV has mucked around with that too but at least it's only a 1/2 hour.  

Edited by MrPissyPuppy
  • Love 2

I hate it when the powers that be interfere with what was charming about a show. They've cranked up Chip to a 10 when it was sort of amusing at a 3. And a little goes a long way with the family/personal life. I think Tuesday's show was about 1/3 or more personal stuff - too much - I did a lot of fast-forwarding. Oh, well - Flip or Flop is back next week. I'm sure that HGTV has mucked around with that too but at least it's only a 1/2 hour.

I fell in love with this show when I found it last year and was so excited about its returning. After watching the first several shows this season, I quickly became disillusioned with the changes they had made. I now have the last six episodes on my DVR - haven't watched them and probably won't.

I agree about Flip or Flop. I hope they haven't screwed it up, but there's only so much damage they could do to a 30 minute show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree about Flip or Flop. I hope they haven't screwed it up, but there's only so much damage they could do to a 30 minute show.

See, now you've presented those chuckleheads with a challenge.

Edited by mojito

What cracks me up about the HomeGoods part is that there is no HomeGoods in Waco. They have to be committing to driving to Austin at least several times for this lame bit.

• Love 2
(edited)

Feels like this program's going through the normal progression or life cycle of the basic, over-promoted HGTV television show and Chip and Jo will go along with the ride, scoring whatever bennies come their way.

This last episode was a little much, for me.  Yes, it could be progressing right off my dvr list!

Tell me, does anyone know the answers to my questions and concerns:

Does Chip always mop the new wood floors in his boots, shortly before the reveal?  Bet they had a few chipper design assistants directly behind him, out of frame!

JoJo can design and stage a 4,100 s.f. home in one night, all by her lonesome?  (Wow!  She's either a procrastinator or amazing!) 

Clint delivers a dining room table in the final hours of the reno, perfectly sized for the space, his only directive that it should look nice and seat 12?  (Oops, JoJo staged it for 10!)

If someone says "french country" enough, that makes it so?

Painted brick plus a wooden mantel - hmmm, does that mean every Jo home was french country?

Yep, JoJo, those wing chairs had "buttons" and "brass accents", aka tufting with nail head trim!

Does every part-time realtor in their office (Oops, I don't believe Magnolia Realty has an office - at least, yet ... !) score a 450K, 4,100 sf reno project?  Not bad, huh?

Man, had that couple shared too much ambien or were they trying so hard to avoid overacting that they underacted?  Is that possible?  Sorry, it was the guy saying, "I'm not feeling it" when the piano was front and center, in the home they'd obviously already purchased.  (I definitely wasn't feeling those two.)

Either that or was he secretly so annoyed at spending countless hours filming, trooping through decoy houses with his wife, running up and down stairs numerous times for various camera angles with Chip and most of all, waiting how many months (?)  before moving into his new country home?  Bet he was overjoyed when they received their 1099 form in January, this year!

What, the husband was too tuckered to play on the monkey bars with Chip?  No, no, sorry, that was Chip's scene, the star's turn to shine, lol!

Yeah, given that we've all heard about the Silos project, did we need that family drama?  Isn't there a Food Network personality / blogger who's more yuppie than rancher, doing a similar office / retail complex in Oklahoma?

Is this the winning formula so there's a Season 3, waiting in the wings, rinse and repeat??  !!

And so on ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist pulling up their farmhouse afters, comparing them to this reveal.  It wasn't exact, obviously, but the roof lines, posts and the porch, etc. were reminiscent, IMHO / reminded me of their place. 

Haven't decided if there's a Season 3 in MY future, hahaha ... !

ETA:  anyone else wonder if tptb were just going to fade to black when Chip grabbed Jo and they started walking up the silo stairs, after saying, "We need to celebrate, babe!"  Seriously, dude, you don't need to share everything with the audience, your adoring public!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

Painted brick plus a wooden mantel - hmmm, does that mean every Jo home was french country?

Since that's all she knows how to do, I guess they all are, but honestly, I've been to France, & that looks a lot more shabby chic than French country to me. Every house looks exactly alike too.

• Love 3

This was one of the few times I liked the painted brick.  The original looked kind of yellow to me, so the new coat of paint seemed to brighten up the house.  I did like the new porch and entrance.  JoJo is really good at visualizing that kind of change.  Having said that though, I really dislike the open floor plan in which you walk into the house and straight into the dining room.  As I've said before, I prefer a foyer.  YMMV. 

The kitchen turned out nice, especially the pantry.  The original kitchen didn't seem as small to me as the buyers thought (that's usually the case for me,) but I can see why they wanted such a big kitchen given the family size and entertaining, etc.  My first kitchen barely had turning around room, but it was sufficient, so I hate when these buyers gripe about how small a kitchen looks - when many times it's actually a decent size, it just needs updating. 

I'd like to see this show cut back on the Chip being goofy segments.  He doesn't have to keep trying to impress JoJo with his acrobatics and stunts.   I am curious as to their vision with the old silos.

• Love 3

Given the choice between this show and Flip or Flop - this show please, goofy Chip and blatant sponsorship and all. I have at least gotten a design idea or two from this show and Property Brothers. Flip of Flop turns my stomach with Tarek and his "we could make a killing!" Such a greedy sob. Neither of them has much taste, either, everything looks "blah tract house modern." I think you are supposed to watch for the schadenfreude aspect of "Hey, maybe THIS time they will lose their shirts!"

And I don't think Fixer Upper is any more fake than any other HGTV show. Sure, the house has already been picked, most of the "after" is staging and not permanent and there are the same issues every episode - the dramatic phone call, the goofy stunts, the family out at the ranch. People, that is what the FF button on your remote is for, just like dealing with all the commercials.

• Love 4

I'm a little confused. I've been watching this show on OnDemand, & so far they have 13 episodes for the current season, but I have not seen an episode with them shopping at Home Goods, a house with a piano, or Chip on the monkey bars. Does anyone know how many episodes are in the season?  I feel like I'm missing some, but this seems like a lot of episodes for this type of show.

I'm a little confused. I've been watching this show on OnDemand, & so far they have 13 episodes for the current season, but I have not seen an episode with them shopping at Home Goods, a house with a piano, or Chip on the monkey bars. Does anyone know how many episodes are in the season? I feel like I'm missing some, but this seems like a lot of episodes for this type of show.

HomeGoods happens in episode 10 & 13. The piano and monkey bar episode is the same one, episode 13. 11 and 12 were shown on TV before episode 10. Episode 13 followed after episode 10.

I'm not sure if OnDemand is following that same order or if it screwed up their schedules.

I agree with the post who said they could use a little diversity.  With over 20 episodes now, you'd think they would have come across a same sex couple by now.  Even in a non-tolerant state like Texas.  It seems though that they get a lot of their clients through their church.

I'm in the minority in that I would like to see more of their personal life stuff (farm, kids and animals).

HomeGoods happens in episode 10 & 13. The piano and monkey bar episode is the same one, episode 13. 11 and 12 were shown on TV before episode 10. Episode 13 followed after episode 10.

I'm not sure if OnDemand is following that same order or if it screwed up their schedules.

Hmm, thanks, I guess I'll keep checking to see if more shows show up

it won't surprise me if there is a spin-off series about the silo reno.

This last episode killed me with the demolition of the kitchen & bathroom cabinets. Also that grille in the foyer.

You'd think the nice church-going couple buying the house  would say  to chip donate or give away for free

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with the post who said they could use a little diversity. With over 20 episodes now, you'd think they would have come across a same sex couple by now. Even in a non-tolerant state like Texas. It seems though that they get a lot of their clients through their church.

I'm in the minority in that I would like to see more of their personal life stuff (farm, kids and animals).

I think that's more of a consequence of the location. Baylor is a hard place for a gay person to be out. Just read some of the stories about Britney Griner, their star basketball player had attending player and the school wanting to be less affiliated with her pro career the more she promoted her lifestyle and gay awareness.

It would be hard for an employee, or someone peripherally associated professionally with the college to make the decision to nationally promote their lifestyle by appearing on the show with their partner and still be in good graces with Baylor. I suspect we'll see a gay couple at some point, but the pool of willing participants is probably pretty small.

On the show, Chip and Jo have only mentioned the church in passing when introducing a client they knew previously and maybe once with the kids. Her blog gets more into it, but I haven't read far enough back to see if there's anything pearl-clutching.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 2

I just watched the one where the couple decided they wanted a new roof at the last minute. Cut to Chip, all by his lonesome on the roof, pulling up a couple shingles at a time. Hahaha!

• Love 2
given that we've all heard about the Silos project

Guess I'm the only one living under a rock because I never heard about the project until this episode. Granted I've only been watching this season, but still.

(tiny voice)...I don't mind Chip's goofiness

• Love 2

I don't mind Chip's goofiness.

I don't mind it in very small doses!  It's as if he's in 7th grade and trying to impress the girl.  I'm worried that he's going to seriously injure himself on the job with some of the stuff he does (a head dive into the wall, for example.) 

I do like the show a lot though.  Overall I like their renovations, but I'm still not a big fan of the huge, open floor plan. YMMV.   The open cabinets and shelves aren't practical either.  I think about all of those dishes and things needing dusting all of the time!  It looks good for show, but the reality is, they'd better invest in some Swiffer dusters! 

• Love 4
(edited)

On another thread someone posted a link to an article with a Q&A about Fixer Upper. You can read it at http://hookedonhouses.net/2015/03/23/hgtv-behind-the-scenes-chip-joanna-on-fixer-upper/#more-70074

I thought this was interesting and answers the question about the "bonus feature" in every episode:

Question: Do the homeowners pay for the renovations?

Answer: According to the Waco Tribune, “HGTV doesn’t fund the renovations, though producers may throw in some extra landscaping or design flourishes. Homeowners who agree to share their remodeling projects with the nation must invest at least $30,000 in the project, with the money going to the Gaineses. HGTV also pays Chip and Joanna a talent fee and covers the cost of one bonus feature in each remodel.”

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • Love 3

Hey guys, 

There's been some discussion about Chip and JoAnna's religious affiliation here. I've moved some posts to the Chip and JoJo thread, since this topic is not really episode related. Feel free to continue the conversation there.

Thanks!

• Love 2

Guess I'm the only one living under a rock because I never heard about the project until this episode. Granted I've only been watching this season, but still.

Responding on the Chip and Joanna thread.

You're correct that they didn't mention the project on air until this episode.  It was discussed earlier, upthread, IIRC.  In addition, the relevant Waco Tribune articles were linked, above.  Sorry about that - the collective "we" was posters on this thread going back to Season 1.  (A number of us have been posting together, since then.)

So, if you're interested, you can check it out, above.  Or if not, no worries, MsTree!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

On another thread someone posted a link to an article with a Q&A about Fixer Upper. You can read it at http://hookedonhouses.net/2015/03/23/hgtv-behind-the-scenes-chip-joanna-on-fixer-upper/#more-70074

I thought this was interesting and answers the question about the "bonus feature" in every episode:

I read this, too, but didn't buy it.  Sounds like p/r put out by tptb.  For a number of reasons, I don't believe they want it widely known how much the participants receive.  First and foremost, I'm sure they don't care to invite an IRS and/or state tax audit.  When the project ends, neither the production company nor the network want to revisit it. 

IMHO the participants actually receive what appears on their 1099 at year's end.  It would include the gratis design services performed by Jo and any project management / construction hours put in by Chip or their Magnolia staff.  (Doesn't matter if they receive a "talent" fee from the network/production company - by law, they must allocate a portion of that to the participants for tax purposes.)  Any services or materials provided by subs in exchange for p/r must be valued at retail and also included on that 1099, by law.  (Hello Clint Harp, sign guy, Dallas "new" Chip, etc.)

Have heard 30K, reported by participants, for HGTV's 1-hr reno programs for a number of years and it makes sense, to me.  Participants on Curb Appeal, aired a few years ago and for many previous years, reported 20K but that was only a 30 minute program, including a lighter renovation project.  The "free" design service is standard on pretty much all of them, I understand, e.g. LIOLI, PB, etc. 

The 30K put up by participants sounds like a matching amount - just sayin'.  The production company needs to know, up front, that these people have the $$$ to complete these large projects and probably all of them totaled at least 60K, IIRC.  For example, on the realtor's episode, they toured a home and Chip indicated less than a grand for the mbr, e.g. painting, etc.  When he reviewed the estimated budget at tour's end, however, he threw in another 20K+, or something, IIRC, for "other" mbr upgrades, hahaha ...  Whatever, Chipster, lol! 

Some of those design "bonus feature" projects have only been quoted as a couple thousand dollars, so far less after taxes.  These people must buy the home up front, in advance of filming.  Would you give up your new home for at least 2 months and spend many hours filming to receive a few hundred dollars, after taxes?  Depending on how many months they need to finish construction, the participants could easily have double housing expenses for several months, ending up out of pocket at the end of the day. 

Plus, those design project totals have varied significantly, from episode to episode.  If that's the participant compensation, IMHO those amounts would be more consistent.  I continue to believe that's just a scene thrown in to both demonstrate the design process and involve viewers in it. 

On the last episode, the guy didn't sound that thrilled to participate.  He was a self-employed attorney and she was also self-employed, as a realtor, probably part-time.  Would they take time away from their respective businesses to enrich Magnolia, the production company and HGTV?  I don't think so - JMHO. 

Sorry, am not known as a person who routinely questions authority but I don't buy it.  I'm sure the participants are prevented from disclosing but it'll come out, like the other programs, eventually.  JMHO  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

Thanks once again, aguabella, for your insights. I agree about the last homeowners--the husband seemed to be going along with the deal to make his wife happy. Perhaps she thought of it as promo for her real estate business.

While it's been interesting to see some 'newer' homes fixed up, I really miss the concept of Season 1--fixing up disasters that would have been torn down if they had't been rehabbed. The most recent episodes in Season 2 have been homes that for the most part could have been moved right into despite being ugly and not up-to-date with HGTV's holy trinity of granite, stainless steel, and hardwood floors. We did that with our last house...moved in and then set to work refinishing kitchen cabinets, updated the bathrooms, installed new appliances, ceiling fans, and new flooring, plus a few other projects. Our floorplan was good, but we did end up moving a doorway to create a breakfast room out of what had been a storage space and removed a linen closet we didn't need because the house had three of them,

My guess is that in Season 3 we'll have to suffer through fixing up the Silos, which will further cut into the original concept of the show.

• Love 2

I actually like the concept of this show which (other than the obvious) is about the relationship between Chip, JoJo & family. I, too, look forward to the Silo project.

• Love 1

I caught an old episode today and I just figured out one reason why the show has begun to bore me. It's too damned long! Cut out the Chip antics and the fake drama and the "we still have some money left" and return to the half-hour format....

• Love 1

I caught an old episode today and I just figured out one reason why the show has begun to bore me. It's too damned long! Cut out the Chip antics and the fake drama and the "we still have some money left" and return to the half-hour format....

You may be right about this. I've grown tired of Fixer Upper and still enjoy Flip or Flop, largely because it's only 30 minutes.

• Love 1

Joanna's blog said the piano "came with the house." Sure it did.

As long as it took to get rid my parents' grand piano, I wish I had thought of including it  in the sale of the house.  It's hard to give them away.  Very few people have room for them, and institutions want brand new pianos.  So, maybe not such a stretch.

The last episode I saw was with a single mother and her own mother.  They were Hispanic so some diversity is being interjected in the show.

Not sure what you mean by a "return" to the half-hour format b/c they've always been an hour.  In any event, I hear ya - would prefer it if they cut out the antics, fake drama, househunting, family melodrama and focus on the design, renovation and construction aspects.  IMHO you have ample drama w/o resorting to any extreme tactics on each and every construction project.

I realize they'll never do it, however.  Everything's personality driven, centering around branding. Simply letting the camera run on construction won't sell enough Chip/Jo FixUpp books or seminars or provide sufficient hype for the HGTV magazine or ... JMHO

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

Thought the episode I saw yesterday ended at 6:30, so I figured it had been a half-hour show, which made sense as to why the show had become boring. Oh well, there are other shows to watch and books to read.

• Love 1

As long as it took to get rid my parents' grand piano, I wish I had thought of including it  in the sale of the house.  It's hard to give them away.  Very few people have room for them, and institutions want brand new pianos.  So, maybe not such a stretch.

In my experience, it's extremely common for large items, e.g. pianos, pool tables or even large pieces of furniture to remain behind as part of a sale.  Frequently, they're specially designed or purchased for that home's particular space(s).  And, moving expenses for those pieces can be cost prohibitive. 

IMHO, it was obvious b/c Chip, Jo and the couple purposely and deliberately walked right on by the piano, carefully ignoring it.  It was a dead giveaway / reminder that they'd previously purchased that particular home.

Incidentally, they follow the same practice on HH.  The "winning" (haha) home is the vacant one, except for any large, specially designed items included in the sale.  (Not necessarily true for HHI, see below, if you're interested.)

meep.meep, your realtor didn't make this suggestion?  Surprising, to me -

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Thought the episode I saw yesterday ended at 6:30, so I figured it had been a half-hour show, which made sense as to why the show had become boring. Oh well, there are other shows to watch and books to read.

Perhaps HGTV set up their schedule differently, yesterday, ending their hour-long dramas on the half-hour.

It's my understanding that most of these programs, however, edit a 30 minute version of their episodes and retain them in the can for future use by the network, if needed. Those versions show up on my dvr as "new", if/when they're utilized. Hasn't happened to date with this program, at least on my dvr.

• Love 1

Agree, I believe CruiseDiva was probably just referring to the fact that they purposely ignored it during the house hunt b/c it was a dead giveaway that they'd purchased that particular home. We all understand it was included in the sale, most likely, but that's the reason for our sarcasm!

Actually, I thought the homeowners had probably already moved some things into the house since they'd already closed on the purchase and the piano was probably theirs, but too big to hide in one of the rooms we didn't get to see.

Has the second season ended? I haven't seen any new episodes on my cable schedule.

Edited by CruiseDiva

Actually, I thought the homeowners had probably already moved some things into the house since they'd already closed on the purchase and the piano was probably theirs, but too big to hide in one of the rooms we didn't get to see.

Has the second season ended? I haven't seen any new episodes on my cable schedule.

I apologize CruiseDiva - wasn't trying to purposely misspeak on your behalf.  Thought you were being sarcastic!  In my experience, it's extremely common for large items, e.g. pianos or pool tables, frequently purchased or even designed specifically for a particular home's spaces, to be negotiated and remain behind as part of the sale.

Under the terms of their contract, participants in these house hunting / renovation programs are prevented from moving anything, meaning not even a single item, into the home prior to the reveal, even though they've previously purchased the home.  It's one of the reasons that I mentioned (in one of my previous posts) that compensation of a couple thousand dollars, pre-tax, at retail value would be insufficient, IMHO, because it doesn't adequately compensate them for their holding period expenses, i.e. expenses incurred as a result of double housing costs from their closing date to the reveal date.  (When you're 1 of 13 episodes, that holding period could be many months.)

Incidentally, b/c HHI hasn't been widely aired overseas, it's (apparently) the only HGTV program that relocates / moves 100% of participants' personal belongings.  Without overseas airings, they have a difficult time casting participants so they frequently troll the blogs of current ex-pats..  Obviously, those people previously relocated so they film a re-enactment of their house hunt that may have occurred years earlier.  And, their personal effects and (sometimes) furniture must be temporarily moved to set up the closing scene. 

I'll edit my previous post to correct my erroneous statement(s), CruiseDiva.  Again, I apologize.

WRT Season 2, you're correct;  they've already aired all 13 episodes.

Edited by aguabella

I watched some old reruns today.  The brick in the walk to the Baylor stadium Joanna bought for Chip's dad "Bobo" had a misspelling on it.  Grandad.  Heh.  

I watched some old reruns today.  The brick in the walk to the Baylor stadium Joanna bought for Chip's dad "Bobo" had a misspelling on it.  Grandad.  Heh.  

Oops, sounds like someone needs a new intern, lol!  They probably couldn't disrupt their shooting schedule but hopefully it's corrected at some point in the future.