Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Au Revoir, Sirocco

• Start Topic

I wonder if being on this show is a little like Frederick and Ryan being on MDNY.

They're suppose to be ridiculously successful, so they don't really need to be on the show to drum up or promote their businesses.

Bravo salaries have to pale in comparison to what they supposedly make.  So maybe the TV show doesn't demand that much time from them or they do it for vanity?

The cast of BD and BDM do probably need to work outside the show.  Does being on the show help them get gigs in the industry?

If Bravo paid them a couple hundred thousand a year and they can be guaranteed of being on the cast for a few seasons, they might not bother with boating/yachting.

Sandy went to one of the premier boat shows in Europe.  She saw elegant designs that took months and big bucks to produce, yet she wants the interior crew to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; Aesha said they had a cabinet of marbles to work with.  She then gave them two blocks to find table settings to match those of the Met Ball. 

Gee, Sandy, why don't you just say here's $2K go shop on Amazon Europe.  It'll be delivered before the next cruise.  They order all their provisions online. 

Why?  Because there would be no drama and she would pass up an opportunity to belittle the interior crew. IMO.

As for the hours they work and sleep, cry me a river.  I worked in a dry yacht (also known as a land resort) in the Poconos all through college.  Up at six, breakfast service til 10, back on service at 11, lunch service til 2, break from 2-6. dinner service from 6-1.  Rinse and repeat.  These guys get a break every four days.  My bosses never treated me to fancy dinners and getaways like these guys.

This is not to mention how cruise ship employees are treated. They have no stinking Maritime laws (as Aesha explained) to protect them.

Here's an interesting story on crew salaries:  Yacht salaries

So between their yacht salaries, their tips and their productions salaries, I'm not feeling for them

To quote Jim Jeffries, everyone's a

Edited by xingu
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, BookElitist said:

Hmmm... Normally, does one attain 'rank’ of Captain(Jaoa) with such limited yacht-WORKing experience? Admittedly, my yacht culture knowledge is basically nonexistent.

I don’t like him but he apparently passed his licensing exam and had connections/interview well. Several people on the show have had their licenses or got it after being on the show so it’s not unusual.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, BookElitist said:

Hmmm... Normally, does one attain 'rank’ of Captain(Jaoa) with such limited yacht-WORKing experience? Admittedly, my yacht culture knowledge is basically nonexistent.

When I was busy researching the captain's exam to crack jokes about Sandy's life and career advice not being part of the exam, I found out that the test is written. It's not like a driver's licence exam where you physically have to do things with the vehicle to demonstrate competence. You also need a certain number of hours/days working on a ship, but I don't believe it specifies the kind of work. 

• Love 1
On 10/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, LotusFlower said:

The editors had to really reach for examples of Sandy praising the interior crew.

....(examples)...

I mean, really?  Big whoop.  IMO, that clip package proved Aesha’s point, not Sandy’s point that Aesha is a “forgetter” (Sandy’s word).  

Boom!

• Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, LotusFlower said:

I have to disagree.  The editors had to really reach for examples of Sandy praising the interior crew.  Of the four clips they showed, two were not compliments per se - one clip showed Aesha asking if they could do white glove service, with Sandy replying: sure; and one was Sandy hugging Aesha as she said goodbye and telling her it was great working with her. Those are examples of praise?  The other examples were: 1) looking at a tablescape and saying “great;” and 2) at a tip meeting saying “interior - amazing.”  I mean, really?  Big whoop.  IMO, that clip package proved Aesha’s point, not Sandy’s point that Aesha is a “forgetter” (Sandy’s word).  

Plus, those compliments were in private, while the disparaging comments were in front of everyone. It must be humiliating to be dressed down in front of other department heads and staff and your own staff as well. It's something that shouldn't be done and just one example of why Sandy is such a horrible manager. 

• Love 11
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t like him but he apparently passed his licensing exam and had connections/interview well. Several people on the show have had their licenses or got it after being on the show so it’s not unusual.

I seem to recall that Captain Lee, in his book, had to do quite a bit to get his captain's license.  Seems he had to get a lot of hours at sea first.  And I mean a whole lot.  Not the amount of a tv show.

26 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

I seem to recall that Captain Lee, in his book, had to do quite a bit to get his captain's license.  Seems he had to get a lot of hours at sea first.  And I mean a whole lot.  Not the amount of a tv show.

Didn’t read his book but I think to get a masters license you only need to have a year on a boat at pass the test. I didn’t catch what sort of vessel Joao was made captain of but depending on how big it is and where it’s chartering from it might be even less.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Didn’t read his book but I think to get a masters license you only need to have a year on a boat at pass the test. I didn’t catch what sort of vessel Joao was made captain of but depending on how big it is and where it’s chartering from it might be even less.

Yeah, my guess is he is not a captain on luxury yachts but probably doing day trips on smaller boats

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, DeeplyShallow said:

Yeah, my guess is he is not a captain on luxury yachts but probably doing day trips on smaller boats

57 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

For those wondering about Joao's first job as a captain, Diane Mars posted info from his Twitter here.

It was the 100 ft motor yacht "A Place in the Sun."

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-23542/place-in-the-sun.htm

It's definitely smaller than any ship that's ever been on either Below Deck, but it still costs at least $1 million to purchase.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:18 AM, xingu said:

Sandy went to one of the premier boat shows in Europe.  She saw elegant designs that took months and big bucks to produce, yet she wants the interior crew to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; Aesha said they had a cabinet of marbles to work with.  She then gave them two blocks to find table settings to match those of the Met Ball. 

Gee, Sandy, why don't you just say here's $2K go shop on Amazon Europe.  It'll be delivered before the next cruise.  They order all their provisions online. 

Why?  Because there would be no drama and she would pass up an opportunity to belittle the interior crew. IMO.

Because they've been running a marathon of the mothership, I cannot tell you how often guests walk up on Kate's crew setting the table for breakfast and brunch. It happens frequently. Sandy is such a hypocrite and shitty person. The stew that Sandy says is the model for the type service Hannah should be aspiring to cannot hold to Sandy's insane standards. Any time anything goes wrong with the level of service on BD: Med it's always Hannah's fault whereas on the mothership it's Rocky is a brat, Sierra is a moron, and Jen is a fuck up.

Just look at how each chief stew was allowed to deal with a stew who couldn't do the things she said she could. Kasey lied on her resume, but Hannah wasn't even allowed to bitch about the situation. Sandy demanded that Hannah make Kasey competent and it would be Hannah's fault if Kasey wasn't. Meanwhile Laura claimed that she could do things she clearly couldn't and yelled at Kate when she was chastised. Kate was allowed to complain to Lee who told Laura that she could get fired or drop the attitude and listen to Kate.

So fuck Sandy. Fuck Joao. Fuck Ben, who talks about yacht standards when his ass has been on land running a catering company for years and needed Anastasia's assistance EVERY DAMN DAY and never acknowledged that he had significant assistance during his time on Sirocco.

• Love 9
On 10/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, Yours Truly said:

As much of an asshole as Jack is if I was his girlfriend, shit yeah I’m letting u know that ur constant harassment of a man who told you he is now dating someone else will be addressed. 

But the point is, Jack DIDN'T actually tell Aesha he was now dating someone else. Aesha learned from the girlfriend's Instagram stories. She was trying to get in touch with Jack to find out exactly what was going on and he wasn't responding. So the first actual confirmation was this person reaching out to Aesha telling her to leave her boyfriend alone. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, esco1822 said:

But the point is, Jack DIDN'T actually tell Aesha he was now dating someone else. Aesha learned from the girlfriend's Instagram stories. She was trying to get in touch with Jack to find out exactly what was going on and he wasn't responding. So the first actual confirmation was this person reaching out to Aesha telling her to leave her boyfriend alone. 

I guess it's the fact that she actually needed more than what she already had to determine for herself that Jack was a lost cause. Also, in the article you can see that she was still holding out hope that he would still be in touch and that they could still maintain some sort of relationship even though she already knew his girlfriend didn't want that.

Look, the whole situation is facocked but it's the fact that Aesha seems to still want to have her hat in the ring in some way shape or form after A) being completely played and humiliated by Jack  B) knowing that the whole situation is sketchy and C) that, for obvious reasons his girlfriend wouldn't be comfortable with her and Jack continuing any sort of future contact. She seems to believe that Jack would "be able" to stay friends with her if his girl wasn't in the way. Which she might be right but she seems to think that the girlfriend is in the wrong for wanting to get in the way of their friendship. Aesha just seems to eager to stay involved when it's glaringly obvious how inappropriate it would be for her to stay involved.

I'm not a fan of women who continue to compete for a man, especially one that you've known for a minute. It's not like she's trying to salvage a long term relationship and trying to fight for her man. She banged him on a yacht and spent 6 weeks in close quarters with him and now she's ready, willing and eager to be a prolonged complication? That's complete ego.

I get it but it's distasteful. Even for someone as young and immature as Aesha.  

4 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

I guess it's the fact that she actually needed more than what she already had to determine for herself that Jack was a lost cause. Also, in the article you can see that she was still holding out hope that he would still be in touch and that they could still maintain some sort of relationship even though she already knew his girlfriend didn't want that.

Look, the whole situation is facocked but it's the fact that Aesha seems to still want to have her hat in the ring in some way shape or form after A) being completely played and humiliated by Jack  B) knowing that the whole situation is sketchy and C) that, for obvious reasons his girlfriend wouldn't be comfortable with her and Jack continuing any sort of future contact. She seems to believe that Jack would "be able" to stay friends with her if his girl wasn't in the way. Which she might be right but she seems to think that the girlfriend is in the wrong for wanting to get in the way of their friendship. Aesha just seems to eager to stay involved when it's glaringly obvious how inappropriate it would be for her to stay involved.

I'm not a fan of women who continue to compete for a man, especially one that you've known for a minute. It's not like she's trying to salvage a long term relationship and trying to fight for her man. She banged him on a yacht and spent 6 weeks in close quarters with him and now she's ready, willing and eager to be a prolonged complication? That's complete ego.

I get it but it's distasteful. Even for someone as young and immature as Aesha.  

Have you arleady watched this ? If not, you should 🙂  https://www.bravotv.com/below-deck-mediterranean/season-4/episode-18/videos/jack-stirrup-cheated-on-aesha-scott

• LOL 1
39 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

I did. I also took into account the interview she gave the Daily Dish where she said she was remaining optimistic about her and Jack's future friendship.  That she could understand him cowering to the pressure of a "woman breathing down his neck threatening a break up if he contacts her"... 

She mentions that she wanted to break up with Jack but she wanted to go to London and do it in person...…. That she knows he wanted to be in touch with her and let her be angry with him but she (the girlfriend) wouldn't let him....

So basically it wasn't just a couple of calls that went unanswered by Jack and it wasn't just Aesha wanting to officially break up with Jack with one conversation for finality's sake.  Aesha was rightly angry and wanted closure and I'm willing to bet that this wasn't just some quick, check a box ordeal for Aesha. I don't believe for one minute that Aesha wasn't raising hell at first (hey, I have no problem with that) and all over the place, demanding to see Jack, determined to get to London and straighten shit out, I mean cause the alternate was just to let it fizzle out leaving here standing there dazed, confused and dismissed.

It's the way you can tell that Aesha seems to be more soft and understanding when describing Jack's handling of the situation while making his girlfriend "a bitch" when obviously it's Jack's bad decision making that has BOTH of you showing your ass.  But Jack's a good person that made a bad decision, is immature, doesn't face up to things.... yada yada yada.. She goes out of her way to counter any ill will some may feel about Jack after all this but that chick? She's a bitch. A shrew that won't let her friend talk to her. Someone who is keeping poor Jack from doing what he really wants. The tyrant. Oh please. 

Aesha's one of those that can forgive a cheating ass man but will not give any slack to a woman who has also been hurt by the same man. . Aesha seemed more put off by the girlfriend than she did about Jack. Yeah, she acknowledges what he did that hurt her but then she spins around and still talks rather fondly of him while villainizing the girlfriend. I'm sorry but chicks that do that are pathetic to me. 

Edited by Yours Truly

As I wait patiently for the mothership to start, I am realizing more and more that this season absolutely sucked. There was zero good in it, manufactured drama and Sandy becoming way too camera happy. Bring on Captain Lee and Kate!

On 9/30/2019 at 11:30 PM, Lady of nod said:

Awww. Poor little Sandy lost her appetite when Aesha spoke her truth. Fuck you Sandy - if you don't want an honest answer, don't ask the question. Good on Aesha. Sandy was really feeling herself tonight - looking "expensive" in her leather jacket, and voicing her opinion on everything in almost every scene right up until then. And could Jawow be any further up Sandy"s ass?

And now she's on cash cab lol. I hope she's not back next season. I think she's treated Hannah very unfairly. Hannah certainly worked harder than Jack at least for the first half of the season, but I didn't see her calling him out in front of everone.. It's so obvious that she was feeling left out of the love fest between the stews. Cannot stand her. 

If she’s back again after this season that just started with Capt. Lee, I’m NOT watching at all.  I read somewhere on the internet, that Capt. Lee’s Son died last Saturday.  I think they said drugs.  Did anyone else hear or read anything?

1 minute ago, Silver Bells said:

If she’s back again after this season that just started with Capt. Lee, I’m NOT watching at all.  I read somewhere on the internet, that Capt. Lee’s Son died last Saturday.  I think they said drugs.  Did anyone else hear or read anything?

He died in July and it was addiction related, I don’t think it was more specific than that.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, snarts said:

^^Honestly don't think it was that deep for either of them.

Well it was deep enough for Aesha to want to go to London and handle it face to face.

Also deep enough for her to paint the girlfriend in a specific light when Jack was the one with the major offenses. 

I think Aesha did pretty well with the situation as a whole. Softening her narration of Jacks actions and behaviors while having no problem calling the girlfriend a bitch, pointing out that there's a season of seeing them being romantic and smugly predicting that they probably won't last after the season wasn't a good look.

I personally think that Aesha just wanted to bang as well and just needed some sort of gestures so that she didn't look easy and cheap (which who cares do you, right?) but he went too far and unnecessarily stepped into manipulation, fake promises and I agree that's not cool. 

I'm cool with her being annoyed with how it played out. Just pointing out that during the jist of it, a bit of her negative character showed itself as well, which is fine. She doesn't have to be a saint it just caught my attention and those types aren't my cup o tea is all.  

On 9/30/2019 at 9:04 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Hannah’s eyes looks like a deer caught in the headlights when Sandy was scolding her. 

This is in part because Hannah holds herself in high regard, despite her many screw ups.   

• Love 2