Type keyword(s) to search

Call Me Kat In The Media

• Start Topic

Anyone from the Chuck Lorre camp gives me pause.  Usually his shows focus on punchlines and gags..with little heart.

Call me Kat has those moments of heart where Kat actually is an actual character and not a walking caricature.

One thing I noticed as season 1 played out that Kat became more the 'straight man' with all the other characters being wacky. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Anyone from the Chuck Lorre camp gives me pause.  Usually his shows focus on punchlines and gags..with little heart.

I'm curious which shows you've watched.  I think most people think of 2 1/2 Men where it was true.  But Mom had a lot of heart.  The Kominski Method as well.  There's variation in his shows.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I'm curious which shows you've watched.  I think most people think of 2 1/2 Men where it was true.  But Mom had a lot of heart.  The Kominski Method as well.  There's variation in his shows.

I agree.  Big Bang Theory, despite the punchlines and gags was a big bowl of Meemaw's homemade mush down deep.

And Young Sheldon has even more heart.

Bob 💗 Abishola has heart too, and not just in the title!

• Love 2
On 6/21/2021 at 2:42 AM, Door County Cherry said:

On 6/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Yeah No said:

I agree.  Big Bang Theory, despite the punchlines and gags was a big bowl of Meemaw's homemade mush down deep.

And Young Sheldon has even more heart.

Bob 💗 Abishola has heart too, and not just in the title!

Also, "United States of Al," about an OEF veteran and the Afghan translator he manages to bring to the U.S. Makes me tear up almost every episode. 

Chuck Lorre is not the devil.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

We have a return date, just announced on facebook: Sunday, January 9, 2022, right after NFL.

Wait, this is on FOX, right?  Sunday after NFL is all animation (Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, etc.)  Seems like an odd place on the schedule!

I've not seen Welcome to Flatch.  Do I have to watch so I'll know what the hell is going on in the crossover?  All the Blossom-related in-jokes were lost on me because I wasn't a viewer.  Any Mayim and TBBT and Young Sheldon references are over my head because I didn't stay with TBBT and never watched YS.

To me Mayim Bailik is the American replacement of Miranda in a cat cafe instead of an English joke shop.  And that has veered from the original.

Luckily there's Phil and Sheila to still enjoy! 

On 4/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I've not seen Welcome to Flatch.  Do I have to watch so I'll know what the hell is going on in the crossover?  All the Blossom-related in-jokes were lost on me because I wasn't a viewer.  Any Mayim and TBBT and Young Sheldon references are over my head because I didn't stay with TBBT and never watched YS.

I never get the crossover jokes either.

• Love 1

For those hoping we'd seen the last of Andy Favreau as Cheese Guy Nick, bad news... per the last item in this TVLine post,

* Call Me Kat has tapped Andy Favreau (Champions) to recur as a neighboring shop owner who becomes a source of conflict for Kat’s cafe, TV Insider reports. Additionally, Laura Bell Bundy’s guest spot as a love interest for Cheyenne Jackson’s Max has been expanded to recurring.

• Useful 2

I figured they'd bring him back.  Why set up such a provocative new character like that if they're not going to use him?  It doesn't bother me, I think the show needs some sexual tension and jealousy.  From the looks of it, we're going to see it going both ways.

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I figured they'd bring him back.  Why set up such a provocative new character like that if they're not going to use him?  It doesn't bother me, I think the show needs some sexual tension and jealousy.  From the looks of it, we're going to see it going both ways.

Yeah, after nice guy Oscar and Kat break up.

Mayim Bialik to reunite with Blossom dad Ted Wass on Call Me Kat

https://deadline.com/2022/04/mayim-bialik-blossom-ted-wass-call-me-kat-1234996777/

EXCLUSIVE: Whoa! Mayim Bialik is reuniting with Ted Wass, who played her father in the 1990s series Blossom, on her Fox sitcom Call Me Kat in the Season 2 finale airing May 5.

Wass will play Harley, Kat’s deceased father, in a dream sequence.

Season 2 of the series—based on the British hit Miranda—will be bookended by Blossom reunions. The premiere featured appearances by her former small-screen brothers Joey Lawrence and Michael Stoyanov, and Jenna von Oy, who played Bialik’s best friend Six in the ’90s series.

• Love 2

Call Me Kat Shake-Up: Latest Showrunner Out Ahead of Season 3

Third time’s the charm?

Call Me Kat showrunner Alissa Neubauer is departing the Mayim Bialik comedy after a single season, TVLine has confirmed. She’ll be replaced by United States of Al co-creator Maria Ferrari (who previously worked with Bialik on The Big Bang Theory) and fellow Chuck Lorre vet Jim Patterson, who will co-showrun Season 3.

Season 3 is set to premiere Thursday, Sept. 29 at 9:30/8:30c, where it will now lead out of sophomore comedy Welcome to Flatch.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
2 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Leslie Jordan suffered a medical emergency while driving and passed away today, according to TMZ. I can’t imagine this show continuing without him. 

RIP, Leslie. Thank you for sharing your heart and humor with the world.

This is legitimately devastating. What a sweet light he was. Yeah, the show should just end, he was the best part of it. 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 7
7 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

This is legitimately devastating. What a sweet light he was. Yeah, the show should just end, he was the best part of it. 

Absolutely devastating. He was so delightful. He definitely was the best part of this show.

RIP Leslie. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 7

Shocked and stunned and really saddened.  I just saw the headline on my favorite news website and came here first.  😭

I've been saying Leslie Jordan was the MVP on several of the shows from past seasons and two in a row this season.  I can't imagine continuing without him.  How the heck would you write him out?  And why?  Just end CMK now.

I'm so sad at the loss of this wonderful actor and my condolences to his family and friends who loved him.

• Sad 7

RIP Leslie. Thank you for the laughs on this show. My heart is broken. 💔 I imagine they will kill Phil off like they did John Ritter’s character on 8 Simple Rules and George Segal’s character last season on The Goldbergs. It’s too early fo speculate the future of the show. They are already signed for 22 episodes this season. But this definitely puts Season 4 in question 

Spoiler

Phil gets a boyfriend in an upcoming episode 

So maybe he could become a regular cast member but there’s no replacing Leslie. 💔

George Segal’s death happened late enough in the season that his character wasn’t killed until the beginning of the following season, but they will probably do something before the end of this season.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Sad 2

Very sad.  He's been making me laugh since he rode into a scene on a Great Dane on Will & Grace.

Be on the lookout for a "In Memory Of" or "Dedicated To" black card following the closing credits.

I don't see them cancelling the show if there's a penny to still be made, but I wish they would.

If they do keep going, I hope Phil just disappears and we find out he went back home to Tennessee or wherever.  The show's gotten cringe-y enough without doing a death episode.   

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

If they do keep going, I hope Phil just disappears and we find out he went back home to Tennessee or wherever.  The show's gotten cringe-y enough without doing a death episode.   

I’d be OK with that. I’ve seen enough death episodes with John Ritter (years later, admittedly), George Segal and Jeff Garlin’s character.

• Love 3

Just read this, so sad! He seemed like one of those personalities, who brought so much light into the world, I thought he would end up living into his nineties just like Angela Lansbury and Betty White. Way too soon. I've been a fan going back to when he appeared on Reba and Will & Grace, I believe the latter came first, right? He's always been hilarious in everything he's been in. The world is a darker place without him. 😢 Rest in peace.

He had a great interview on The Jennifer Hudson Show just a couple of weeks ago (advertising CMK of course), and it went almost the whole hour. I know he had talked there about his sister and mother having passed the past couple of years, I think that was particularly hard on him because he talked about how he'd always think about calling his mother still whenever something would happen. At least he's with them again now.

• Sad 3

He was in SO many shows over the years. I've been looking at his IMDB and he really showed up everywhere. For some reason, I thought he was in Designing Women but I don't see that in his IMDB. Maybe just my mind playing tricks on me!

His work in Will and Grace was brilliant! He kept me laughing and entertained all through the pandemic, his videos were thoroughly delightful. What a lovely, lovely person. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

He was in the show Hearts Afire that was created by Designing Women's creator. That's where I first saw him, and I followed his career ever since. 

Thank you! That must have been what I was thinking about! Thank you! I knew I'd seen him in something before Will and Grace because I recognized him then. He really was so entertaining in everything. It's been wonderful but equally heartbreaking to see the outpouring of love for him through social media.

I hope he knew how much we all loved him 💔

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Very sad.  He's been making me laugh since he rode into a scene on a Great Dane on Will & Grace.

Be on the lookout for a "In Memory Of" or "Dedicated To" black card following the closing credits.

I don't see them cancelling the show if there's a penny to still be made, but I wish they would.

i don't think they should cancel the show.  I imagine Leslie would have wanted the show to go on. I'm sure he knew we needed all the humor we can get in the world we are living in. 

Jeopardy goes on without Alex and I am sure we all think that is a good decision and continued tribute to him (despite all the nasty comments on which person better fits as host).

I think just adding a message at the start or ending of the show in memory would be what is necessary and appropriate.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, msani19 said:

He was in SO many shows over the years. I've been looking at his IMDB and he really showed up everywhere. For some reason, I thought he was in Designing Women but I don't see that in his IMDB. Maybe just my mind playing tricks on me!

I think there's some Mandela Effect going on here, cuz my BFF also swears she first remembers him from Designing Women. Upon further investigation, we figured out she'd conflated the role of Reggie Mac Dawson, Suzanne's flamboyant accountant who absconded with her fortune, before showing up again later as a hotel bellboy/lounge musician, with Leslie's turn as Beverley Leslie on Will and Grace. She wasn't the only one who'd confused the two, either, upon googling, we found it a fairly common mistake, for whatever reasons.  Reggie Mac was played by Danny Thomason, not Leslie Jordan, but he was an over the top, southern, grandiloquent gentlemen full of pithy observations and tall tales, so it's fairly easy to see how that happened. 

• Love 4
On 10/25/2022 at 1:30 PM, cinsays said:

i don't think they should cancel the show.  I imagine Leslie would have wanted the show to go on. I'm sure he knew we needed all the humor we can get in the world we are living in. 

Agreed - but they need to give his character a respectful send off (not that he took off with a significant other to an island - that would only mock his RL death).  Possibly an off-screen passing ala Mrs. Wolowitz on TBBT (though, other than her voice, Mrs. W was always 'off-screen').  Sad can be incorporated into a comedy if done respectfully and properly

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ctlady said:

Agreed - but they need to give his character a respectful send off (not that he took off with a significant other to an island - that would only mock his RL death).  Possibly an off-screen passing ala Mrs. Wolowitz on TBBT (though, other than her voice, Mrs. W was always 'off-screen').  Sad can be incorporated into a comedy if done respectfully and properly

I agree with you and think that would probably be the best way to handle it.  Other ways like saying he met the love of his life and shipped off to Europe to live with them would not really do him and his role justice.  I thought the way they wrote Mrs. Wolowitz's death into BBT was ingenious, although the show was actually fortunate that it happened at a time when Howard was moving on with his life and marrying Bernadette and then it became a no-brainer that they would move into her house.  I don't know if this show could pull off something that fit that well into the plot and the characters' development.  We'll see how they choose to handle it.

(Hi I'm in CT, BTW!)

• Love 1
On 10/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, ctlady said:

And many times comedy handles dark or sad scenes much better, since coming amidst so many comical moments, they impact you more. I think Phil passing away unexpectedly just like Jordan in real life could easily be written into the show considering its current direction. I already expected before his death that this probably would be the last season (of course I could be wrong?). A tragic event like that one could easily be used to push the relationships into a more serious direction for an eventual series finale, if they wanted to do that. Seize the day, and all that.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And many times comedy handles dark or sad scenes much better, since coming amidst so many comical moments, they impact you more. I think Phil passing away unexpectedly just like Jordan in real life could easily be written into the show considering its current direction. I already expected before his death that this probably would be the last season (of course I could be wrong?). A tragic event like that one could easily be used to push the relationships into a more serious direction for an eventual series finale, if they wanted to do that. Seize the day, and all that.

Well said.  I don't think Leslie would want the show to get cancelled simply because he wasn't on it.  I hope the show goes one and gives Phil a great sendoff.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Well said.  I don't think Leslie would want the show to get cancelled simply because he wasn't on it.  I hope the show goes one and gives Phil a great sendoff.

I agree completely, but judging from the falling ratings this season I'm worried about its future, and Leslie's death isn't helping the situation.

• Like 1