Type keyword(s) to search

How Are We Watching The Orville Next Season?

Bort
  • Start Topic

How Are We Watching The Orville Next Season?   POLL CLOSED

83 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the option that most closely applies...

• I already had Hulu.
    • I will be subscribing to Hulu.
    • I will borrow the password of someone who has Hulu.
    • I will wait until all the episodes have aired, subscribe to Hulu, then cancel before the free trial runs out.
    • I refuse to pay for anymore streaming platforms and will watch it for free later, like by checking it out at the library.
    • I'm not in the US, nothing is changing for me.

12 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

this is totally for the American viewers.

As a  Canadian, the viewing of The Orville doesn't change for me. Still on CITY TV (part of the cable package) every week

Oh, you're right, I totally forgot about the Canadian contingent. I'll add an option in the poll for that.

also overseas. I believe Australia, for example,  also continues to see it on <whatever television channel it was already airing on>

Seth himself tweeted out after the Hulu thing, that as far as he knew, nothing changes for the markets other than the US one.

I probably won't be watching it at all, since I don't subscribe to any streaming services. It makes me sad, because I thought "The Orville" was a great SF show and a nice change from all the dark dystopian futures that make up most of SF today.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I probably won't be watching it at all, since I don't subscribe to any streaming services. It makes me sad, because I thought "The Orville" was a great SF show and a nice change from all the dark dystopian futures that make up most of SF today.  

Same GIF by Debby Ryan

26 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I rotate streaming services.  It’s not like cable where you are locked in for years. You don’t actually have to pay for five or six.  I pay for one or two at a time.   

Honestly, I've been paying for Netflix for over 10 years now, and I barely watch it. Maybe it's time... 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Honestly, I've been paying for Netflix for over 10 years now, and I barely watch it. Maybe it's time... 

Hulu isn’t a bad service.   It gets a lot of the shows on tv a day or so after they air so cord cutters like it.  It has few older shows on it as well.   In all honesty it does kinda pay to have one or two especially in the summer when good tv is harder to find. 

• Love 4

I checked "I already had Hulu," but maybe I should have checked "I will borrow the password of someone who has Hulu" since I'm not the one paying for it?

2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

My husband and son have informed me they have Hulu streaming via their Sprint cell phone. I have a Tracfone, what do I know! 😆

So are they going to let you borrow a phone for an hour a week?

Oh. Or did you mean you just found out that they've been streaming Hulu to your TV all along?😆

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I checked "I already had Hulu," but maybe I should have checked "I will borrow the password of someone who has Hulu" since I'm not the one paying for it?

So are they going to let you borrow a phone for an hour a week?

Oh. Or did you mean you just found out that they've been streaming Hulu to your TV all along?😆

I think they can watch on their laptops. So we just have to use the hdmi cable to the TV.

• Love 2

I'm Canadian, so my viewing option doesn't change (yay!).

...but, if I was American, I probably would stop watching the show (or find another means of watching the show some other time, like checking it out of the library). Subscribing to Hulu just to watch one show isn't worth it.

None of the options completely fit my intentions.  I intend to subscribe to Hulu just while the show is airing, then when the season is over, I'll unsubscribe.  That's different from just subscribing period, or doing the free trial after all the shows have aired.  So I didn't answer the poll, sorry.

2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I think they can watch on their laptops. So we just have to use the hdmi cable to the TV.

There are some phone apps that let you cast videos from your phone to your TV.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

None of the options completely fit my intentions.

I didn't vote because of that, either. I bought the season 1 DVDs, though I'd rather have Blu-ray, because I do support the show. So I won't wait on the libraries, so while that's closest it doesn't really cover me. I'm not getting Hulu for one show, so I'll keep watching another way.

8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

None of the options completely fit my intentions.  I intend to subscribe to Hulu just while the show is airing, then when the season is over, I'll unsubscribe.  That's different from just subscribing period, or doing the free trial after all the shows have aired.  So I didn't answer the poll, sorry.

“I’ll subscribe to Hulu” is the option that works for that. You’re subscribing and sticking around long enough to pay for it. I don't expect anybody to subscribe to Hulu for the rest of their lives in any instance.

3 hours ago, MSterling said:

I didn't vote because of that, either. I bought the season 1 DVDs, though I'd rather have Blu-ray, because I do support the show. So I won't wait on the libraries, so while that's closest it doesn't really cover me. I'm not getting Hulu for one show, so I'll keep watching another way.

Dammit, I meant to put “buy the DVDS” as an option, I forgot it.

• Love 1

As I mentioned on another thread, the library I work at has Rokus for checkout. Some are loaded with Netflix, some with Amazon Prime Video, some with CBS All Access, some with Hulu, and some with HBO Now. I'll just check out one of the ones with Hulu. If all the Hulu ones are checked out, I'll ask if one of the other ones can be converted to Hulu.

We have 18 Rokus in circulation, so we move services back and forth based on demand. For example, as Game of Thrones was wrapping up, we had a demand for our HBO Now Rokus. We had a number of Netflix Rokus just sitting on the shelf, so we took Netflix off those and added HBO Now to them to meet the demand.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Something tells me we will be lucky if the show even returns at this point.

It will. Just because not everyone will gravitate to Hulu, that doesn't mean that it won't still return. And I already had Hulu (since that's how I have to watch pretty much everything anyway after cutting the cable a few years ago because I just couldn't afford it), so that was the option in the survey that I went with. The move to Hulu isn't going to affect me one iota.

• Love 2

I'm doing the fourth option (free trial, then cancel) but with the disclaimer that I'm not happy about it. One of the fun parts of this show for me was being able to talk about it every week as it aired, and now I'll have to wait 13 weeks (or however many eps there's going to be) to do so, while also having to avoid spoilers, and I know I'm gonna be tempted to come in here and read the threads.

• Love 1

I just checked and Hulu basic is only $5.99 a month.  Premium (ad free) is $11.99 per month.  That's one or two lattes per month (not that I buy them anyway), but I'm sure I can rearrange something in my budget to accommodate it for the period of time when the show is airing.  And I say that as someone that's on a tight budget, so I think it's do-able for short while.  At least I'll still be able to stand on principle about not becoming a regular subscriber.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Something tells me we will be lucky if the show even returns at this point.

I kinda felt the same way about CBS All Access.  I had a relative who was able to get me Discovery DVDs so there was no point in it.  Then a few new shows popped up like Why Women Kill and I am a little more likely to put it on my rotation. 

Hulu does have a bunch of shows that are worth watching if you missed them the first time but I guess not everyone likes to stream like I do.   

I am curious if Hulu will drop this all at once or on a weekly basis.   Orville is a fun show but half the fun is discussing each episode.  I will miss that if the series just streams an entire season.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I'm outside the US, but The Orville aired on FOX in the UK/Ireland, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with season 3. 

There’s no change to any of the international distribution deals, so it should be the same for you.

The Mindy Project was a show that started on FOX and ended up on Hulu. It still aired on a weekly basis, it didn’t drop all the episodes at once.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

I figured they would drop it weekly.  Does Hulu ever drop the whole season at once? The only other show I can think of that I watched as it came out was Castle Rock.

The Runaways, the first season they dropped weekly and the second season they dropped all at once. That should make you even more confused.

• LOL 1

Catch-22 was all at once, but was intended to be a limited series. Casual dropped the first 2 or 3 of each season and then weekly. 

Seth et al. aren't limit by network constraints now, so opening the season with a 90 minute movie or something would be cool. 

• Love 3

I have Direct TV, HB0, Showtime and Netflix and don't intend to get any other streaming service. I am getting kind of annoyed that shows I used to be able to watch before are going to specialized streaming, and new shows are being created to be on those instead of the regular networks [ ie  Discovery and Picard not on regular CBS].  I refuse to play that game. I just won't watch, or do the library option.  I can wait. I have enough content to watch with what I have without chasing shows, subscribing and unsubscribing to all these services.

• Love 9

That's the thing. I don't know what the game is with these streaming services. Really, if all I had was Netflix, there's enough content to last me decades.

I know part of it is the libraries of old shows that each one has, but I don't care.

• Love 1

I'm moving house soon, and with the move, my cable package will be dropping in price (I think there's a catch somewhere, but I wasn't able to figure it out). With the amount I'll be saving, I might spring for Hulu. I really want to continue to watch "The Orville," and I refuse to get Amazon Prime for "The Expanse" (even though I enjoyed that series too).

• Love 1

My watching 'option' probably best falls under "where there's a will, there's a way".

Are the episodes going to be relesed weekly, instead of all of them available at once?

If weekly, probably won't watch until all have aired and can binge the whole thing at once.

(even though I don't have it, Netflix has ruined my TV viewing habits [at least in terms of patience of waiting for next episodes])

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

I'm glad I read this, I had no idea The Orville was moving to Hulu.  With Marvel no longer involved with Netflix, I was considering leaving that for Disney+ and Hulu.  Having The Orville on there would at least give me something to watch.

• Love 1
On 9/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Hulu isn’t a bad service.   It gets a lot of the shows on tv a day or so after they air so cord cutters like it.  It has few older shows on it as well.   In all honesty it does kinda pay to have one or two especially in the summer when good tv is harder to find. 

And Hulu has a freeze option which I like.  You can freeze your account and then not have to reset up all your shows.

Honestly I had Netflix first and still subscribe but have gone to the cheaper option of no HD.  I subscribed to Hulu and must say I do watch it way more than Netflix.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2019 at 2:46 PM, jumper sage said:

Honestly I had Netflix first and still subscribe but have gone to the cheaper option of no HD.  

Strange thing:  I have HD with my cable package, but I opt to watch SD most of the time.  One big reason is that most of the things I watch I DVR to watch later, and recording SD takes up much less space.  But I grew up watching the TV resolution in the 60s and 70s, so SD doesn't bother me at all.

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Tonypitt said:

At this point, does anyone think this show will ever come back? It certainly will have lost any positive momentum it had with fans.

For me: “momentum” schmomentum. And given the track record of the arguably-related Star Trek franchise, I don’t think I’m unique that way. 
I was concerned about availability of the cast, but with all of the production shutdowns, perhaps that will be less of an issue. And I wonder if the extra time will be good for the two estranged leads to be able to work together again —professionally, that is. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Tonypitt said:

At this point, does anyone think this show will ever come back? It certainly will have lost any positive momentum it had with fans.

It's not due to come back before December anyway, and that was a deliberate decision on Seth's part once he decided to move the show from FOX to Hulu.

• Love 1
On 5/17/2020 at 6:58 AM, shapeshifter said:

And I wonder if the extra time will be good for the two estranged leads to be able to work together again —professionally, that is. 

Just to show how long it has been -- which two estranged leads?