Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation: Season 45

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, mariah23 said:

TvLine just announced the first four hosts of Season 45.

And it's a good line up! I'm super excited!

Woody Harrelson/Billie Ellish on 9/28

Phoebe Waller-Bridge/Taylor Swift on 10/5

David Harbor/Camila Cabello on 10/12

Kristen Stewart/TBA on 11/2

Eddie Murphy/TBA on 12/21

I actually know the musical guests too!  LOL 

• Love 6

I had a feeling Billie would be the first musical guest. 

I'm amazed they booked Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who has had a huge year of acclaim with Fleabag and seems to have carved out her own very unique niche. 

Did you know this is Woody's third anniversary season? (he was in the 15th and the 40th) 

I know so many people who love David Harbour so hopefully that will go well. And maybe we'll get a Winona cameo.

There was a rumor going around about Eddie Murphy a few days ago, so I'm not as surprised, but there's already speculation that they announced his date so early to try to make sure he doesn't drop out. I won't be too surprised if he does anyway...

I was hoping for Bill Hader but I sometimes feel like he is kind of over SNL beyond cameos (because of all the mental strain, not because of some elitist reason) so I'm not as surprised as I wish I was.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4

Does anyone have the schedule for the episode's airdates this season? Usually the whole thing is posted in here before the season starts.

Here's the schedule--

September 28: Season Premiere

October 05

October 12

October 26

November 02

November 16

November 23

December 07

December 14

December 21

Edited by vb68

Interesting how they're announcing some guests ahead of time while leaving out others. Perhaps it's just the ones where the ink on the contract is already dry and the others haven't confirmed yet? I can't remember doing it this way before.

I can't remember anything about Woody Harrelson's last hosting stint, but I have a vague recollection of him being game for anything.

David Harbour is a big meh. I'm kind of over Stranger Things and I don't really know him from anything else. What's he promoting?

Good for Kristen Stewart for managing to host again after dropping an f-bomb the last time, but I feel the urge to pour one out for Jenny Slate.

I wonder if Eddie Murphy saw the positive reception Adam Sandler got from returning after so long and decided to give it a go. Don't know what he's promoting (if anything); I can't remember the last time I saw him in a movie trailer.

Also, I hope he holds onto that spot to prevent one of the cast members of Cats from hosting, since I think that movie comes out on Christmas and I'd prefer if this show not be a part of its promotion cycle.

Speaking of Cats cast members, I look forward to another round of bitching about my nemesis Taylor Swift. Stoked for Billie though!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

Interesting how they're announcing some guests ahead of time while leaving out others. Perhaps it's just the ones where the ink on the contract is already dry and the others haven't confirmed yet? I can't remember doing it this way before.

I know. Five at once is a lot and extremely rare, especially the Christmas show this far out. I remember a few years ago, when Jimmy Fallon hosted the xmas show, he announced it before they wanted and he had to do an "oops....sorry" tweet.

Maybe they really are making sure Eddie is locked in. I hope he actually puts forth some energy and effort, unlike he did on the Anniversary show.

Oh, when I initially saw there was a show on Dec. 21st, my first thought was that's gotta be a Vet and somebody they trust to show up four days before xmas.

7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I was hoping for Bill Hader but I sometimes feel like he is kind of over SNL beyond cameos (because of all the mental strain, not because of some elitist reason) so I'm not as surprised as I wish I was.

I would be SHOCKED if he was done hosting.  As far as I know, he still loves doing the show and has a solid relationship with Lorne. 

I'm sure it won't surprise anybody if I say.....who is Billie Ellish? 😜

Some other stuff to chew on...

Is Jason going to commit to doing Biden full-time?

What is Kate's status?  I could see it being more "as needed"like when they need Elizabeth Warren. But I'm assuming she'll be free to pursue other projects.

I bet Alec does return as Trump......but in a much more limited capacity.

I'm still betting on Maya if they need Kamala Harris.  I don't see Ego doing it. 

Any new featured performers?  There's not a lot of room unless people leave.

6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

And once again, I was instantly proven wrong!

But as always, you are super helpful.  Thanks so much for starting the thread. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm sure it won't surprise anybody if I say.....who is Billie Ellish? 😜

I'd describe her as like an edgier Lorde. They both got big in their teens and I think their vocal qualities and musical themes are very similar, but she does more talk-singing and has kind of a creepy/goth/horror vibe to her. I'm kind of surprised she's gotten as big as she has--I like her but her whole deal seems like it would be very divisive.

"Bad Guy" is probably her most popular song:

Melissa does an impression of her that...well, I don't think it's good, but I'm biased in my general dislike of Melissa.

Regarding cast member status, I feel like they wait closer and closer to the start of the season to announce changes these days.

• Love 2

I haven't watched Saturday Night Live in more than a decade but Eddie Murphy's return WILL get me to watch.  I've been waiting a long time to see him return.

Murphy's appearance on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was great and a reminder of just how funny he is.  I would highly recommend that.

• Love 6

This is how bad I am at predicting musical guests. I thought it was pretty much a given that Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus would be on the premiere preforming their song that has been #1 on Billboard for most of the calendar year.

20 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I wonder if Eddie Murphy saw the positive reception Adam Sandler got from returning after so long and decided to give it a go. Don't know what he's promoting (if anything); I can't remember the last time I saw him in a movie trailer.

Also, I hope he holds onto that spot to prevent one of the cast members of Cats from hosting, since I think that movie comes out on Christmas and I'd prefer if this show not be a part of its promotion cycle.

Eddie has a movie coming out on Netflix in October after it hits the festival circuit and he’s filming Coming 2 America. Good time as any to return. As for Cats, I would not be sad if Ian McKellen FINALLY returns. 

• Love 7

I will say I'm really glad Taylor Swift is only doing the musical guest and not doing double duty hosting.  Although I'm sure she'll be in some skits.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, helenamonster said:

They’re currently filming the Coming To America sequel, so that’s pretty major. There’s also the recent rumors about him returning to do a stand up special with Netflix for $70 million (I don’t think this has been confirmed). He might address these projects, who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Adam Sandler’s return gave him that extra push to return himself. We’ve not really seen him in a comedic role for quite some time. I’m excited to see if he’s still got it!

EDIT: I should’ve read the other responses more closely because @mtlchick already addressed this, lol. My bad! 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 3
On 8/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, vb68 said:

This is how bad I am at predicting musical guests. I thought it was pretty much a given that Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus would be on the premiere preforming their song that has been #1 on Billboard for most of the calendar year.

Eilish's song is the one that just displaced it from that throne, so she's actually a more "of the moment" choice. 

On 8/27/2019 at 3:50 PM, LBS said:

I will say I'm really glad Taylor Swift is only doing the musical guest and not doing double duty hosting.  Although I'm sure she'll be in some skits.

I really wanted her to host again, as the last time she did it was in 2009 and it would be a nice decade-later closing the circle thing for her. The last time she did it, she was about to turn 20, and now she's about to turn 30. 

I hope we get her in a "Whiskers 'R' We" sketch at least; that seems like it would be perfect for her. 

• Love 6

So with Leslie gone, it should open up a couple of featured spots for new people. Heidi and Chris Redd have spent their two years as featured performers and will move into the main cast. I hope they go for more diversity. One name I'm hearing tossed around is Bowen Yang, who's on the writing staff and has cameoed on the show.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, vb68 said:

So with Leslie gone, it should open up a couple of featured spots for new people. Heidi and Chris Redd have spent their two years as featured performers and will move into the main cast. I hope they go for more diversity. One name I'm hearing tossed around is Bowen Yang, who's on the writing staff and has cameoed on the show.

I enjoyed Bowen Yang's appearance on Ask Me Another.

• Love 1

Would love to see Bowen Yang and Julio Torres pulled in as featured players, if they're looking to promote from within.

I don't follow comedy as far as up-and-comers go, so the only real source I have for potential new cast members is YouTube. A lot of the commentary channels I watch are great improvisers who also do a lot of shorts and songs, and edit their own content, so if the show is looking for the next Lonely Island/Good Neighbor that would be a logical place to pull from.

Is Lorne involved in Kenan’s  summer show Bring the Funny? There have been a lot of promising comedians and sketch groups there. Maybe it was all a weird audition process. 

I’d love to see Bowen Yang get a call, but I think I’d prefer Julio Torres in the writers room and making films. I can’t really explain it, but that’s the way I feel. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ajsnaves said:

Is Lorne involved in Kenan’s  summer show Bring the Funny? There have been a lot of promising comedians and sketch groups there. Maybe it was all a weird audition process.

Surprisingly he's not involved, even nominally (No EP credit) on a show featuring a castmember. Just For Laughs is behind the show which is why the booking has been so good. In many ways shows like that are all a weird audition process, not for SNL per se, but for all sorts of other projects, combined with PR effort from the performers.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Would love to see Bowen Yang and Julio Torres pulled in as featured players, if they're looking to promote from within.

I don't follow comedy as far as up-and-comers go, so the only real source I have for potential new cast members is YouTube. A lot of the commentary channels I watch are great improvisers who also do a lot of shorts and songs, and edit their own content, so if the show is looking for the next Lonely Island/Good Neighbor that would be a logical place to pull from.

There's a Twitter account that claims to have inside info...they're a bit pot-stirry for me sometimes, but here's what they have to say.

They said in another tweet that a woman has also been asked to audition, but more as a writer. 

I think Julio is still going to be busy filming his HBO show. I don't know about Bowen. He has a show with Awkafina but I don't know how far along that is.
Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

Should we take bets on if Alec does return as Trump?

I say he will due to the sly manipulation of Lorne, but he will appear much less regularly until maybe the primaries start.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or  what should happen, but Alec has a history of going back on his word when he's said he's done.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, vb68 said:

I say he will due to the sly manipulation of Lorne, but he will appear much less regularly until maybe the primaries start.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or  what should happen, but Alec has a history of going back on his word when he's said he's done.

I think he will. I won't be surprised if he's in the first shot of the premiere. He loves to talk about what a burden it is but he loves that attention as well. 

Whatever he's doing I won't be watching any more of him as Trump. I will watch the rest but not that. I've had it. 

• Love 2
On 9/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, vb68 said:

You can't take bets if nobody is taking the other side. Perhaps you could take bets on when? I think you're right that he will continue to cut back following the pattern of this most recent season since Lorne realized that they aren't getting the same buzz and can do cold opens without him. But he will be back, either because they land somebody he really wants to work with ("Alec we got a yes from Carl Reiner") or because Trump will do something that really pisses him off extra special (appointing Stephen to a cabinet position?) and he can't resist. I think it's for the best as when Alec is on and the writing is good the Trump bits are savagely funny, and when they are done out of a sense of obligation is when it feels played out. I've also enjoyed them giving us a little variety with the cold opens and would like a little more so cutting back on Trump even more, but still doing it when you really have something to say seems like a good direction to me.

• Love 2
On 9/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, vb68 said:

I think that's probably what will happen. The focus for the first few episodes will undoubtedly be the Democratic debates, so they won't need Trump as much. 

Since Kate, Cecily, Aidy, Beck, etc. are all still on the show, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to change Trumps all of a sudden this season. Beck does Pence, Putin, etc., Kate is still doing all the Republicans. I'm sure we'll be seeing Jason Sudeikis making a lot of appearances as Biden (if not actually hosting a la Matt Damon last season). 

Next season, during the actual 2020 election cycle, at that point they can probably find someone new to play Trump. If Biden ends up actually WINNING, I guess they'd have to find someone to take over that role as well since I doubt Jason will want to assume that role for 4 years. 

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 2

I would love to see a parody of Trump as Lt Commander Queeg in Caine Munity.

I could see Alex Baldwin as Trump rolling those 3 ball bearing while being questioned about the Ukraine call...........slowly getting more and more rattled and through makeup gradually looking more and more like Bogart as Lt Commander Queeg

On 9/28/2019 at 1:34 PM, Brn2bwild said:

I hope they get Emilia Clarke to host one episode close to the time her movie comes out.  It seems less likely with another host slotted in around Christmas...

Her movie actually comes out November 8th. There isn't a show that week, but she could host either the episode on the 16th or the one on the 23rd. (Kristen Stewart was already announced as hosting the Nov. 2nd episode). 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, vb68 said:

Any guesses for the host on October 26?   I don't have any clue.

I keep thinking it will be another woman, although I have no idea why. Someone in the standby line said they saw Zendaya, or there were photos, or something, but in the slim chance she was hosting it would have been announced well in advance. So it must not be anyone who is a big big name. Is there anyone with a movie coming out early in late October or early November? 

I could see it being a repeat host. Liev Schreiber was in the premiere, so maybe it's him.

22 hours ago, vb68 said:

Any guesses for the host on October 26?   I don't have any clue.

This probably won't happen, but I would really love it if the host were either Bill Hader or Jon Hamm. Hamm's Halloween episode from 2008 is a classic, and I dearly would like to see another Vincent Price sketch. But Hamm doesn't seem like he is interested in hosting anymore.

If Hader hosted though, they could still do the sketch and Hamm might decide to do a cameo. Plus it would be residual promotion for It 2 which crested $200 million at the box office and his Emmy win. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

This probably won't happen, but I would really love it if the host were either Bill Hader or Jon Hamm. Hamm's Halloween episode from 2008 is a classic, and I dearly would like to see another Vincent Price sketch. But Hamm doesn't seem like he is interested in hosting anymore.

If Hader hosted though, they could still do the sketch and Hamm might decide to do a cameo. Plus it would be residual promotion for It 2 which crested $200 million at the box office and his Emmy win. 

I'd love to see Hader host again - and the time would fit as he seems to not be doing a ton at the moment (Barry doesn't start filming until spring) and he could promote his Christmas movie. I'm not sure if he wants to host again though due to anxiety.

Hamm seems to go to tapings quite a bit, yet for some reason hasn't hosted or done a cameo (aside from the brief bit in the goodnights of Emma Thompson's episode) in ages.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

They should have Chris Martin play a Goop employee who works with Baskin Johns. I'm sure Gwyneth would get a kick out of that, right?

Chris is pretty funny in his brief SNL bits - I wouldn't be too sorry if he ever hosted, unlikely as that is. 

(he looks so much like Chris Elliott in that first video)

• Love 2
On 11/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, Pete Martell said:

Five timers time. 

It's weird how Ferrell hosted just last year but it was 2 seasons ago. He hosted in the 2018 half of S43, and now he's hosting in the 2019 half of S45.  It really does feel like he JUST hosted. The cast is essentially the same, except Luke Null is gone and Ego is in the cast now. 

Other hosts have done this fairly recently, Emma Stone hosted in S42 and S44. And Ryan Gosling hosted in S41 and S43. Chris Hemsworth did the rare thing of hosting in back-to-back seasons in S40 and S41, so that he actually ended up hosting twice in the same year (March and December of 2015). Mulaney just hosted back to back seasons in S43 and S44 as well, but that wasn't in the same year. 

• Love 1