Type keyword(s) to search

The Nevarro News: The Mandalorian in the Media

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Agree!  Different from other roles I've seen him in, too.  

It was even different from his first appearance in S1. I didn't know who he was and, didn't get why people were geeking out. I thought the character was OK but, more excited about Clancy Brown.

Bill Burr's appearance in S2, made me a fan.

• Love 5
(edited)

The Mandalorian survived to Round 2 and is still a nominee for Favorite Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series. Pedro Pascal also survived to Round 2 and is still a nominee for Favorite Actor in a Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series.

Vote for Your Favorites! The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards (Round 2)
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-round-2/ 

For this round, you can vote for just ONE choice in each of the categories below from now through Thursday, May 20th at 8pm EST. You can vote once each day until voting closes. All awards are for shows airing between May 2020 and April 2021. 
The top 6 votes in each category (or more in cases of ties) will then move on to the Final Round of voting, which will begin on Friday, May 21st.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

The Mandalorian survived to the Final Round as a nominee for Favorite Cable or Streaming Series...

Vote for Your Favorites! The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards (Final Round)
Tell-Tale TV     May 21, 2021
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-final-round/ 

You can vote for ONE choice in each of the categories below from now through Thursday, May 27th at 8pm EST. You can vote once per day until voting closes. All awards are for television shows airing between May 2020 and April 2021. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Sounds Like One Mandalorian Spinoff Is No Longer In The Works At Disney+
ERIK SWANN   MAY. 22. 2021 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2567845/sounds-like-one-the-mandalorian-spinoff-rangers-of-the-new-republic-no-longer-in-works-disney 

During Disney’s Investor Day last December, Lucasfilm announced a number of Star Wars productions, including three shows that would serve as direct spinoffs of The Mandalorian. These shows were confirmed to be The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic. But according to Variety, Rangers of the New Republic is no longer in active development.
While Lucasfilm has neither officially confirmed the status of Rangers of the New Republic nor confirmed the reason for it no longer being in active development, the move is likely connected to the dismissal of Gina Carano. Previous reports seemed to indicate that Carano’s Cara Dune, who became a Marshal for the New Republic in Season 2, was going to be the lead. However, the actress was fired from Lucasfilm earlier this year after posting controversial messages to social media. The studio also confirmed that her character would not be recast in the wake of the firing.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

That's too bad.  I was looking forward to that spinoff and it seemed like it could have been a big part of that crossover event.  I have an idea what that crossover event might be.

I'm a big fan of Bill Burr and F is for Family.  I wasn't crazy about his initial Mandalorian appearance because he just seemed too much like Bill Burr in the Star Wars Universe.  But I loved his second appearance and he fit in great there.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

They can get a lead actress though. It's not like you need Cara Dune to be in that lead role. 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, benteen said:

I'm a big fan of Bill Burr and F is for Family.  I wasn't crazy about his initial Mandalorian appearance because he just seemed too much like Bill Burr in the Star Wars Universe.  But I loved his second appearance and he fit in great there.

I think the Star Wars universe exactly needed to be knocked down a peg, and Burr's character was a great fit. 

I love the Clone Wars and Rebels best, but we're dealing with a very small set of characters in the thick of Big Things. 

Burr reminds me of the Clerks discussion of contractors on the Death Star. We don't really take notice of these kinds of people. 

He totally was 100% right calling out the Mandalorian on the helmet 'rule'. It's a great line that I've used irl to call people out. 

He's not a character that can be a regular, but I do hope they run into him again. I hope he's got like a legit machine shop business or something and isn't a smuggler, etc., like every single character already. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I guess that's what happens when you don't have a lead actress anymore?  Hopefully they'll go back to the writers' table and come up with something else.

A lot of the articles on the topic are jumping to a lot of conclusions with very little actual information. “No longer in active development” could mean its dead or just that it has been delayed and pushed to the back of the line. 

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They can get a lead actress though. It's not like you need Cara Dune to be in that lead role. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

A lot of the articles on the topic are jumping to a lot of conclusions with very little actual information. “No longer in active development” could mean its dead or just that it has been delayed and pushed to the back of the line. 

Both of these are basically what I meant.  They were going to do a show about Cara Dune, played by a specific actress... now they don't have that actress, so there are a lot of questions:  do they recast the same character?  Do they pick a new character?  Do they pick a new concept altogether? Etc.  But those questions will take more time to answer than what they already had planned.

So we're all saying the same thing. 😉

According to Star Wars Meg who posts daily on all things Star Wars filming on Mando season 3 has been pushed back again, this time to September.  It was supposed to start filming in April. Part of the reason seems to be that Mando and The Book of Boba Fett share the same filming stage and there were a lot of reshoots for Boba.  Sadly this means that there won't be new Mando in early 2022. The earliest would be now late 2022 to Christmas 2022 for any new episodes of Mandalorian. 

Not only does the long wait suck I find it disheartening that we don't get any encouraging or exciting news about Mando.  All we get is news of trouble and delays.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:58 AM, magdalene said:

According to Star Wars Meg who posts daily on all things Star Wars filming on Mando season 3 has been pushed back again, this time to September.  It was supposed to start filming in April. Part of the reason seems to be that Mando and The Book of Boba Fett share the same filming stage and there were a lot of reshoots for Boba.  Sadly this means that there won't be new Mando in early 2022. The earliest would be now late 2022 to Christmas 2022 for any new episodes of Mandalorian. 

Not only does the long wait suck I find it disheartening that we don't get any encouraging or exciting news about Mando.  All we get is news of trouble and delays.

This doesn't entirely make sense though - even if there were reshoots and delays with The Book of Boba Fett, why do they still have to wait 3-4 more months to begin?  Maybe they couldn't start in April, but they can start as soon as the set is available, unless Pedro is no longer available?  If September is the new date, there's more to this story...

Sideshow and Iron Studios is making a hand-painted Star Wars Collectible statue of Grogu and Mando  saying farewell to each other called "The Mandalorian and Grogu" currently running for $160. The limited-edition, 1:10 scale statue is 8.6" high, 4.7" wide, 3.5" deep, and weighs just over a pound. The product (shown as a prototype above) is currently available for pre-order here and will arrive between July and September 2022.

The-Mandalorian-Grogu-Goodbye-Statue-Fro

The-Mandalorian-Grogu-Goodbye-Statue-Sid

The-Mandalorian-Grogu-Goodbye-Statue-Bac

This is from the the same company that sells the 16.5 inch lifesize version of "The Child" for $375.

the-child_star-wars_gallery_600723263391

• Love 5
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This doesn't entirely make sense though - even if there were reshoots and delays with The Book of Boba Fett, why do they still have to wait 3-4 more months to begin?  Maybe they couldn't start in April, but they can start as soon as the set is available, unless Pedro is no longer available?  If September is the new date, there's more to this story...

There are rumors that Temuera Morrison’s schedule is a part of the problem because he may appear in The Book of Boba Fett, Mando season 3 and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Plus they have a lot of Star Wars series in the works so one small delay could push it behind other series. 

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Isn't Pedro filming the Last of Us, or is that done?

Production on Last of Us is supposed to start in July. 

11 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't know. The reason I quoted Meg is because she isn't one of those rumor mongering types.  She tends to differentiate between news items and rumors and this was a news item for her. Sigh.

I think Boba over-ran its shooting schedule.  I also read somewhere that some Marvel thing is to film on this Volume set this summer.  That may also be a reason that Mando can't film there now. Who knows?  They are so secretive there may never be a Mando season 3 and we may never know the true reason why.

7 hours ago, Dani said:

That looks like a scheduling conflict with Mando right there....

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Well that’s kind of what I was wondering, whether he was playing Rex or Cody in the Obi-Wan series.

The rumor was that he would play Cody in the Obi-Wan series. 

36 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm more interested to see if Temuera Morrison will play Rex in the Ahsoka series. 

There is also a rumor that he will but that seems to be more tentative than Obi-Wan Kenobi rumor.

4 hours ago, magdalene said:
4 hours ago, Dani said:

That looks like a scheduling conflict with Mando right there....

Pedro Pascal mainly needs to record his voice and he can do that pretty much from anywhere in the world.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Pedro Pascal mainly needs to record his voice and he can do that pretty much from anywhere in the world.

Yes and no - now that he's taken off his helmet and rumor is he'll be teamed up with the other Mandalorians who take off their helmets often, I think they'll need Pedro and his face more often than not.  

Like it or not, The Mandalorian (and Grogu) are the biggest and best things to happen to both Star Wars and Disney in years.  If there isn't a season 3, I think there will be riots. 😄

And if Marvel is using the Volume, then Marvel needs to take its billions of dollars and build its own Volume.  They have 3 in the world, I think?  There's the one in LA for Mando, and one in Australia, and I forget where the third is (or if I made that up).  So they can be replicated, and more need to be built.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And if Marvel is using the Volume, then Marvel needs to take its billions of dollars and build its own Volume.  They have 3 in the world, I think?  There's the one in LA for Mando, and one in Australia, and I forget where the third is (or if I made that up).  So they can be replicated, and more need to be built.

There are four. Two in LA, one in Australia and one London. None of them are limited to one Disney production and they are also rented out to other studios. They can make pop-up Volumes. The bigger issue is probably human resources. Filioni, Favreau, and Pascal have a lot on their plates at the moment. 

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Yes and no - now that he's taken off his helmet and rumor is he'll be teamed up with the other Mandalorians who take off their helmets often, I think they'll need Pedro and his face more often than not.  

I really doubt it. I do think the helmet will be off more frequently but that it still won’t be a common occurrence.

8 hours ago, magdalene said:

I also read somewhere that some Marvel thing is to film on this Volume set this summer.

Do you mean the recent reports about Ant-Man 3? They are using the one in London. 

8 hours ago, Dani said:

There are four. Two in LA, one in Australia and one London. None of them are limited to one Disney production and they are also rented out to other studios. They can make pop-up Volumes. The bigger issue is probably human resources. Filioni, Favreau, and Pascal have a lot on their plates at the moment. 

I agree - it has to be the players. 

I guess my point was that Marvel has plenty of money, so Marvel can build a "Marvel only" one if needed.

I did, however, think that it was developed by ILM and Lucasfilm, so if that's true, then IMO, Star Wars projects should get priority.  It should only be rented out when Lucasfilm/Star Wars doesn't need it.  I think the real story here is that Pedro isn't available until later this year because of whatever that other project is that he's doing (sorry, video game adaptations are not usually my thing, so I think it looks stupid).  

I think Thor: Love and Thunder was using the one in Australia, and Dr. Strange 2 was using the one in London; but again, I could be wrong.  I didn't realize that there are two in LA.  That makes the excuse of "the Volume isn't available" even more of just a cover.

• Love 1

Grumbles.  Can't they at least give us a little Baby Grogu something special in between? For those of us who were never Star Wars people but fell hard for the little green bean.  I am not picky.  Just have him bounce around some more to RR's guitar playing.  Eating macarons. Something.  I am in Grogu withdrawal. I don't want to wait years because Pedro Pascal is too busy or they cannot get their scripts together, or both.

• Love 9

Meh. Collider is claiming that Mando season 3 is delayed some more. Now filming is supposed to begin in early 2022.

Oh, I hope this is not true.  Maybe this is becoming like one of those productions that is always being announced as "coming soon" but then never actually happens.

If true, thanks Disney for slowly killing all my Baby Grogu joy.

3 hours ago, magdalene said:

Meh. Collider is claiming that Mando season 3 is delayed some more. Now filming is supposed to begin in early 2022.

Oh, I hope this is not true.  Maybe this is becoming like one of those productions that is always being announced as "coming soon" but then never actually happens.

If true, thanks Disney for slowly killing all my Baby Grogu joy.

It’s probably true. Once they couldn’t start filming at the beginning of 2021 a long delay seemed inevitable with everything else that needs to film. 

It’s disappointing but I don’t get the doom and gloom. There is zero chance that Disney kills the show and they’re not really responsible for the delays. That’s on COVID and Pedro’s role in The Last of Us. 

8 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s probably true. Once they couldn’t start filming at the beginning of 2021 a long delay seemed inevitable with everything else that needs to film. 

It’s disappointing but I don’t get the doom and gloom. There is zero chance that Disney kills the show and they’re not really responsible for the delays. That’s on COVID and Pedro’s role in The Last of Us. 

And maybe whoever is scheduling/renting out the Volume.

• Love 1

The Mandalorian nominees survived to Second/Final Round voting for the 2021 Primetimer Awards in the following categories (voting opened today and ends Jun 29)...
https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/3310-annual-awards-show-the-primetimers/

Best Genre Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120093-best-genre-show

Best Stunt
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120089-best-stunt/

Asskicker: Favorite Badass
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120043-asskicker-favorite-badass/

It Just Wouldn't Be The Same Without You: Favorite Lead Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120042-it-just-wouldnt-be-the-same-without-you-favorite-lead-character/

Life On The Edge: Biggest Cliffhanger
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120011-life-on-the-edge-biggest-cliffhanger/

Wow, That Was Amazing!: Favorite Season/Series Finale
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119996-wow-that-was-amazing-favorite-seasonseries-finale/

Be Careful What You Wish For: Most Gratuitous Fanservice
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119995-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-most-gratuitous-fanservice

Not Just A Prop: Favorite Performance By An Inanimate Object
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119989-not-just-a-prop-favorite-performance-by-an-inanimate-object/

We Heart Bad Boys: Favorite Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119986-we-heart-bad-boys-favorite-villain/

Aw Yessss!: Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119947-aw-yessss-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year

LMFAO: Funniest Scene From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119944-lmfao-funniest-scene-from-a-scripted-show

Best Writing
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119941-best-writing/

• Love 2

Did you ever want to re-create every scene in The Mandalorian, now you can with the Hobo Mando Deluxe Action Figure available for pre-order for $375. Subject to arrive Oct 2022 - Dec 2022.

the-mandalorian-and-grogu-deluxe-version

This highly articulated action figure comes with detachable hands, beskar helmet and armor pieces, jetpack, rifle, blaster, darksaber, beskar spear, Grogu, torch light, utility belt, dagger, grappling hook, Swoop Bike handle, Boba Fett helmet, Boba Fett jetpack, thermal detonator, various special effects to simulate the firing of missiles, the flamethrower, and other weapons.

Some of the pictures show a Swoop Bike, but I don't think that is included, just the broken Swoop Bike part.

• Love 3

2021 Primetimer Awards results - The Mandalorian won the following awards...

Best Stunt
Winner: The Mandalorian - Luke Skywalker vs. the Death Troopers
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120396-primertimer-award-winners-the-best/

Aw Yessss!: Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
Winner: The Mandalorian - Luke Skywalker's comeback
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120394-primetimer-award-winners-non-traditional-the-good/

Asskicker: Favorite Badass
Winner: The Mandalorian - Luke Skywalker
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120394-primetimer-award-winners-non-traditional-the-good/

Wow, That Was Amazing!: Favorite Season/Series Finale
Winner: The Mandalorian

• Love 2

Brendan Wayne says S3 will be more like S1

It's his opinion based on things he's heard, so take it FWIW

"I think we've introduced the world in which Mando exists now. Not that there aren't going to be new things, I'm sure... I think there will be a lot less introductions, and a lot more going back towards the first season of delving deeper into the character and things like that I think," Wayne shared. He added, "Have I read one script? No. Have I heard some things? Sure. So I'm guessing. But I can tell you this. If anyone's going to be able to continue telling a story, it's Jon [Favreau]. And raising the stakes? It's Jon."

I like silly quizzes and found out that Grogu should be my road trip buddy

Grogu has plenty of experience taking road trips with the Mandalorian, but he is still learning how to fix his ride and not push the wrong buttons on the controls. Strap him into the passenger seat and make sure you pack some extra snacks for the road ahead.

• Love 6
(edited)

The Mandalorian got 4 nominations...

HOLLYWOOD CRITICS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS FOR THE INAUGURAL HCA TV AWARDS 
https://hollywoodcriticsassociation.com/ted-lasso-the-handmaids-tale-and-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-lead-inaugural-hca-tv-awards-nominations/ 

Thursday, July 8, 2021 (Los Angeles, CA)Ghostbusters: Afterlife’s Mckenna Grace and Home Before Dark’s Brooklynn Prince announced the complete list of nominees for the 1st Annual HCA TV Awards via a live stream earlier today on the organization’s official YouTube Channel. 
The Inaugural HCA TV Awards ceremony will be held at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles on August 22, 2021. 
Best Streaming Series, Drama (6)
Bridgerton (Netflix) 
The Boys (Amazon Prime Video) 
The Crown (Netflix)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Servant (Apple TV+)
Best Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama (5) 
Anthony Mackie – The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+)
Josh O’ Connor – The Crown (Netflix)
Karl Urban – The Boys (Amazon Prime Video)
Pedro Pascal – The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Regé-Jean Page – Bridgerton (Netflix)
Best Supporting Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama (7)
Bradley Whitford – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
Daniel Brühl – The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+)
Giancarlo Esposito – The Boys (Amazon Prime Video)
Giancarlo Esposito – The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Rupert Grint – Servant (Apple TV+)
Tobias Menzies – The Crown (Netflix)
Wyatt Russell – The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+)
Best Supporting Actress in a Streaming Series, Drama (7)
Alexis Bledel – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
Ann Dowd – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
Gillian Anderson – The Crown (Netflix)
Ming-Na Wen – The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Samira Wiley – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu) 
Yvette Nicole Brown – Big Shot (Disney+)
Yvonne Strahovski – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

From The Mandalorian twitter:

Go behind the scenes of the best-kept secret of #TheMandalorian Season 2. A special episode of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, "Making of the Season 2 Finale," starts streaming August 25 on @DisneyPlus.

The Mandalorian received 24 Emmy nominations, a tie with The Crown for the most nominations! Nominations include:

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series  - Carl Weathers, as Greef Karga

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - Timothy Olyphant, as Cobb Vanth

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Giancarlo Esposito, as Moff Gideon

You can see all of the show's nominations here.

No love for Pedro. 😔 And I'm surprised by the nomination for Carl Weathers. I feel like other TV shows had more worthy guest actors.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

And I'm surprised by the nomination for Carl Weathers

I'm not. He's a very well-known "name", going all the way back to the Rocky movies. Emmys tend to go for "names" a lot.

• Love 3

They are releasing another episode of Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian focusing Luke’s appearance in the season finale. It will be release August 25th. 

(edited)

More info about The Mandalorian's Emmy Awards noms in the major categories...
https://ew.com/awards/emmys/emmys-2021-nominations-list/

Outstanding Drama Series
The Boys
Bridgerton
The Crown
The Mandalorian
Lovecraft Country
Pose
The Handmaid's Tale
This Is Us

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Michael K. Williams, Lovecraft Country
Bradley Whitford, The Handmaid's Tale
Max Minghella, The Handmaid's Tale
O-T Fagbenle, The Handmaid's Tale
John Lithgow, Perry Mason
Tobias Menzies, The Crown
Giancarlo Esposito, The Mandalorian
Chris Sullivan, This Is Us

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Courtney B. Vance, Lovecraft Country
Charles Dance, The Crown
Don Cheadle, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Timothy Olyphant, The Mandalorian
Carl Weathers, The Mandalorian

Here are the other categories in which The Mandalorian got Emmy noms (full list):

• Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)
  • Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour)
  • Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour)
  • Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes
  • Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Period And/Or Character Hairstyling
  • Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup
  • Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score)
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Season Or A Movie
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination
  • Outstanding Stunt Performance
  • Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series

The Emmys ceremony will be broadcast on TV on Sunday, September 19, 2021, at 8 pm ET (on CBS). (source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm not. He's a very well-known "name", going all the way back to the Rocky movies. Emmys tend to go for "names" a lot.

Yea, I think that's part of the reason why he was nominated. I'm not upset he was nominated, good for him. I just felt like his performance in that episode didn't really excel to the point of warranting a nomination, and there are probably 100's of other guest actors that gave really amazing performances in other shows, who were overlooked for a bigger name.

• Love 1