Type keyword(s) to search

The Nevarro News: The Mandalorian in the Media

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This article says that filming is scheduled to start April 5th (barring any unforeseen covid setbacks):

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/the-mandalorian-season-3-begin-filming-april/?fbclid=IwAR3k4izC0faVJU0dIscIqQZQlNUabE1hQD9nE4E9phE4g0dnOrtc5KRjMv8

I don't know how reliable of a website this is, so it could be complete speculation or a rumor, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  It's source is the Film & Television Industry Alliance.  If they push production, we might be able to get a spring/summer 2022 release.

ETA:  The article says at the very bottom that it's still set to be released in 2021.  I don't know if that can happen...

Believe me I wish the April filming start were true.  Unfortunately I have to go with what "Production Weekly" reported. They are an industry publication and they get their info directly from the horse's mouth aka the actual production. 

I wish they would give us a little Baby Grogu holiday special or something to tide us over. I would be happy with Grogu eating cookies and bouncing around to more of RR's guitar playing.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Believe me I wish the April filming start were true.  Unfortunately I have to go with what "Production Weekly" reported. They are an industry publication and they get their info directly from the horse's mouth aka the actual production. 

Film & Television Industry Alliance is also an industry publication and usually reliable. Production Weekly is also reliable but I find the August date a little suspect because it’s being interpreted by The Disinsider which isn’t reliable and very few sites picked up the story. 
Either could be right or the actual start date could still be in flux. 

18 minutes ago, Dani said:

Film & Television Industry Alliance is also an industry publication and usually reliable. Production Weekly is also reliable but I find the August date a little suspect because it’s being interpreted by The Disinsider which isn’t reliable and very few sites picked up the story. 

I am all for the April date being true. I hope it's true.  Hopefully Covid won't cause more delays.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, magdalene said:

13 hours ago, Dani said:

The link in the article that I posted goes to a website called productionlist.com, and there was also a tweet from someone whose bio says he is an entertainment industry journalist citing to productionlist.com as well.  This website is the Film & Television Industry Alliance's own website, and describes itself as:

What is productionlist.com?

Productionlist.com is film and tv's production tracking service, offered by the Film & Television Industry Alliance. Our office works with major film and tv studios tracking pre-production announcements of roughly 20 to 40 new projects weekly. Our members have access to the industry's most comprehensive database of production contacts and receive weekly and daily production job announcements.

I can't see production waiting until August to start.  Just a few months ago they said it was going to start in December or January, as soon as Pedro was done with his movie.  I understand that LA is a covid nightmare right now, but I'm thinking they should be ok by April.  At least, I hope so! 

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Aren't they much faster because of the Volume? Instead of having to spend months doing VFX in post, that's already done when they start, so it's just the usual editing turn around.

I have absolutely no idea how it works, but I would assume that they have to add the CGI after they film?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I can't see production waiting until August to start.  Just a few months ago they said it was going to start in December or January, as soon as Pedro was done with his movie.  I understand that LA is a covid nightmare right now, but I'm thinking they should be ok by April.  At least, I hope so! 

I think is more of an issue of having to adjust an already packed filming schedule. Even a short delay can send everything into chaos when the star, showrunners and studio have a lot of balls to juggle. 

8 minutes ago, Dani said:

I think is more of an issue of having to adjust an already packed filming schedule. Even a short delay can send everything into chaos when the star, showrunners and studio have a lot of balls to juggle. 

I guess I just assume that since I'm sitting here staring at a computer or TV screen 16+ hours per day with no where else to go because it's a pandemic outside, that everyone else is too so their schedules are open. LOL!  I could be wrong. 🤣

• LOL 3

If Pedro were to ever get an acting nomination, I feel like this was the year, because he showed his face a few times. 

Rick Famuyiwa, Jon Favreau, and Dave Filoni did get a nomination for Best Drama Series by the Writers Guild of America. I haven't watched any of the shows they are up against, so I have no idea if a win is likely.

Just now, UnknownK said:

Did she want to get fired? I don't understand why actors or anyone else in a high profile job posts anything like that on social media.

I’m pretty sure was fired (not asked back for season 3) months ago when she exposed herself as an anti-masker. Their statement implies she was never intended to be in season 3. 

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m pretty sure was fired (not asked back for season 3) months ago when she exposed herself as an anti-masker. Their statement implies she was never intended to be in season 3. 

It looked like she would have been the lead or one of the leads in the Rangers show.  Now, that's an opportunity lost because her social media stuff earlier today was the last straw.  There's no doubt she was on thin ice, and then what she shared earlier today.

• Love 2

Here’s the statement for anyone who doesn’t want to read the Deadline article. 

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I actually liked the character. I can't imagine what the actor was thinking. 

I also like the character. Gina wasn’t a strong actor but she did well with the role. They could easily recast Cara. She has a compelling backstory but wasn’t a big enough character that Gina couldn’t be replaced. 

This is horseshit.  

Screw Disney.  So much for supporting strong women.

Shrink John Boyega to the size of his LEGO figure on the posters and dump a woman because Twitter hysterics are crying, "Burn the witch!"  Ignore the camps next door to where you're shooting a crap remake no one asked for.

She is great to her fans and a funny and generous and warm human being who doesn't deserve what's happened.

Orwell would say: Even I can't write shit like this.

Who ya got next, Twitter?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, magdalene said:

So,  I know nothing about "The Last Of Us" -  how will Pedro Pascal have time to film both Mandalorian  and this HBO series?

Maybe there will indeed be a longer hiatus before The Mandalorian films?

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe there will indeed be a longer hiatus before The Mandalorian films?

Who can say? I am sure that the Beyond The Trailer woman is going to tell us any minute now that this means Pascal quit Mando.

After googling "The Last Of Us" and the character Pascal is going to play - and getting totally spoiled in 10 seconds flat - thanks Google - I have become convinced that 

Spoiler

he could keep playing Mando and play this Joel.  Shakes head. What is it with HBO and Pedro Pascal characters getting their head bashed in.

Don't look under my spoiler bar unless you already know all about "The Last Of Us" or you don't mind being spoiled!

1 hour ago, magdalene said:

So,  I know nothing about "The Last Of Us" -  how will Pedro Pascal have time to film both Mandalorian  and this HBO series?

Both shows combined should have fewer episodes that a traditional network drama produces in a season so filming both shouldn’t be a problem. He was with Mando first so it will have priority as far as filming season 3. 

8 hours ago, magdalene said:

I have tried to keep an open mind about her political views and the way she expresses them because I liked her in the Mandalorian and I liked how she came across in the Disney Gallery series but when she compared her "plight" of being attacked on Twitter with what the Jews went through during the Holocaust... No.  You don't compare your problems to that. Never compare to that.

I read the latest in an article this morning about her firing and, I was nodding along, all true. What's the problem?  Then I get to the last sentence and, wanted to bang my head on the desk. How can anyone be so stupid as to equate Nazi's using fear, hatred and, propaganda to commit genocide and someone harassing you on twitter because of your political views? 🤦🏻

I like Cara and don't know where to go, especially with Rangers.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Carano fired herself, she was warned about her previous posts. I liked the character, but not enough to miss her if she's gone. 

Same. I like Cara Dune, and she can be played just as easily by another actor. Many online are suggesting Lucy Lawless as a recast, and as much as I have loved her since Xena, I think the role would be better suited to a lesser-known actor. She should not play second fiddle to anyone!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, magdalene said:

Don't look under my spoiler bar unless you already know all about "The Last Of Us" or you don't mind being spoiled!

That's the second game.

Honestly, the storyline and character from the first game is really interesting. I could easily see a show based on the first game/world (even if it's a little repetitive of Walking Dead). 

Edited by Morrigan2575
32 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Same. I like Cara Dune, and she can be played just as easily by another actor. Many online are suggesting Lucy Lawless as a recast, and as much as I have loved her since Xena, I think the role would be better suited to a lesser-known actor. She should not play second fiddle to anyone!

Lucy Lawless stars in her own show, My Life is Murder, with S2 coming out soon (I watch it on Acorn), so I don't know if she'd have time to take on the role of Cara Dune.

• Love 2

I mean, why do you post political stuff when you are a prominent figure working for a billion dollar company? I mean, it sucks that you were fired, but... come on, Gina, you shouldn't have been that stupid to begin with.

• Love 6

It seems to me that Gina definitely got herself fired.  She works for a company (like so many of us), and her words have consequences (like for so many of us), and she made her own choices.  It doesn't matter her politics or whatever, it has everything to do her choices to share the things she has and the company she signed a contract with making a decision based on their considerations.  This isn't a singular incident, and I'm sure she was given advice in the fall.  She chose to ignore that advice, so the consequences of her coin being lost belong to her. 

I think Cara is a great female role, but I don't think that Gina is irreplaceable in that role (and a better actor might be good).  Thus, I'm all for the recast.  I love Lucy Lawless, but I would want to have more of her than we would get.   I've seen Lana Parilla's name pop up (from Once Upon a Time), who I love, but am unsure if she can do the action, which is important.  I'm certain they can find someone great. 

My December was spent watching Pedro (Mando, Narcos, WW84), and that has made me a huge fan.  I'm excited to see him getting such high profile roles.  He seems like a good dude, and I am fascinated by him as an actor.  

• Love 12

"Yes" on recasting. We don't know how much longer the series will run, but it seems likely for at least multiple more seasons after these first two. The character is fun, adds another dimension, and is a good foil for Mando. So an optimal situation for recasting, imho.

(Also, there are, sadly, many offensive postings/statements by Gina; this wasn't just one and done, unfortunately. Disney made the right call here.)

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 9

In one box: Success, fame and riches from working for the biggest entertainment company in the world and your own spin off show.

In the other box: The approval of other extremist losers on social media and a sense of self-satisfaction that you 'told it like it is.'

Which are you going to choose?

Sometimes trash people just can't help but be trash, even after the likes of Jon Favreau go to bat for them and implore them to just keep their hateful shit to themselves so they can keep their jobs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

They can recast or just make a new character. Especially if they need someone to lead Rangers of the New Republic. 

Carano was never a great actress, Cara was probably the best role she was going to get. She was stupid to throw it away. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Which are you going to choose?

I say the same thing when I don't want to work with someone on a proposal, "Oh, you don't like getting funding, Doctor?" Of course I do. I'll stfu and deal. 

18 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The approval of other extremist losers on social media and a sense of self-satisfaction that you 'told it like it is.'

The thing about losing on principle is that you still lost. I'm doubtful she'll be getting any gigs this year. 

I think it might be weird to just have a new character, also from Alderaan, with the similar backstory, than to recast. Unless you create someone new from scratch with a fresh history, but then you have to write in their appearance and all the exposition, whereas, just recast and keep going. I'm sure they've already got most of S3 written already. 

17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think it might be weird to just have a new character, also from Alderaan, with the similar backstory, than to recast. Unless you create someone new from scratch with a fresh history, but then you have to write in their appearance and all the exposition, whereas, just recast and keep going. I'm sure they've already got most of S3 written already. 

Well the first thing I'd do would be to see which parts intended for Cara Dune could be retrofitted to fit Bo Katan, Ahsoka Tano or the character played by Ming Na. Hell, Sasha Banks might even find that she gets a bigger role out of this.

But if they do introduce a new character then that's fine too. It's a big galaxy and there will be plenty of ex-Rebels who are looking for mercenary work or out there being do-gooders in the Outer Rim.

Or go really big and introduce Mara Jade.

• Love 1

She had been running her mouth on social media for months.  IMO, it was way past time for letting her go.  I was happy to see that they pulled way back in December after her November rants.  Maybe they were giving her time to apologize and change?  And she clearly didn't do it, so - buh bye!

I'm all for a recast too.  I think Lucy Lawless would be great, but in addition to the other reasons mentioned here, she's about 15 years older than Gina.  She's ageless and could play any role she wants, but I'm not sure there would be much continuity.  I'm sure there's another former-MMA or WWE star out there who can act just as bad - I mean, good - as Gina did and would be a fit for the role.  Maybe one of the Bella sisters?  

Gina is transphobic, in addition to all of the other things, and I would imagine that Pedro is relieved now.  He obviously loves his sister and I got the impression that Pedro only half-defended Gina out of obligation to the show.  I'm glad he won't have to do that anymore.  If he wants to be the bigger and better person and forgive her, that's his right, but he'd be a better person than me.

• Love 13
Just now, FnkyChkn34 said:

Gina is transphobic, in addition to all of the other things, and I would imagine that Pedro is relieved now.  He obviously loves his sister and I got the impression that Pedro only half-defended Gina out of obligation to the show.  I'm glad he won't have to do that anymore.  If he wants to be the bigger and better person and forgive her, that's his right, but he'd be a better person than me.

This was telling. Cara's own presentation--and a huge part of her initial appeal, to me--definitely pushes conventional feminine boundaries, so this particular slam made me wonder what is really going on in her own head.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm all for a recast too.  I think Lucy Lawless would be great, but in addition to the other reasons mentioned here, she's about 15 years older than Gina.  She's ageless and could play any role she wants, but I'm not sure there would be much continuity.  I'm sure there's another former-MMA or WWE star out there who can act just as bad - I mean, good - as Gina did and would be a fit for the role.  Maybe one of the Bella sisters?  

I’ve been fanwanking recasts in my head today, like I have nothing better to do, and I wondered if Ronda Rousey would be a good fit. I don’t know much about her other than she’s a former MMA fighter - I don’t even know if she’s done any acting.

I thought about Emily Van Camp. She certainly kicks ass as Sharon Carter, and she’s already working for Disney 😄 Also, how about Grace Park? Even though BSG was over 15 years ago, she was great as Sharon/Boomer. Ooh, how about Chloe Bennet? She’d be about the right age for Cara, and I could definitely see her as a former soldier. 

14 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

I’ve been fanwanking recasts in my head today, like I have nothing better to do, and I wondered if Ronda Rousey would be a good fit. I don’t know much about her other than she’s a former MMA fighter - I don’t even know if she’s done any acting.

I thought about Emily Van Camp. She certainly kicks ass as Sharon Carter, and she’s already working for Disney 😄 Also, how about Grace Park? Even though BSG was over 15 years ago, she was great as Sharon/Boomer. Ooh, how about Chloe Bennet? She’d be about the right age for Cara, and I could definitely see her as a former soldier. 

I think Ronda Rousey is who came to my mind first, but then I couldn't for the life of me remember her name, and I only came up with the Bella sisters. 🤣  I think she has done some acting; she might be pretty good.

The only other person you've mentioned that I know is Emily Van Camp, and she's a little too "dainty" in my opinion.  Plus, she's on Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and who knows if there might be a second season for that show. 

When it comes to a recast for me, I think they need to stick to the original actor's "look" as much as possible for continuity sake.  JMO.  

I personally don't think Cara should be recast. Although I liked the character, I think her storyline wrapped up nicely in season 2.  I don't know the plot of season 3, but if it's about Mandalore, I don't really see how she would fit in to the plot line. The one thing I will miss is that she was one of Mando's only friends. They went through a lot together, and she was always there for Mando and the child, so that dynamic will be sad to lose. But maybe some of the new characters can help fill that void.

• Love 2

Rousey is a worse actress than Carano. Its probably best they just introduce a new character. She doesn't have to have the exact same backstory. A lot of people suffered under the empire. They can just say Cara went off somewhere else to fight in the rebellion and Greef can introduce Mando to his new Sherriff. 

Just a reminder - the site politics policy is still in effect. So general discussion of Gina Carano's dismissal, potential recasting or other ways that it may be handled, etc. is fine, but going into politics is going to get your post removed, and possible sanctions beyond that. Some posts have been removed. Thank you.

• Love 1