Type keyword(s) to search

The Nevarro News: The Mandalorian in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

‘Star Wars’ vs. Marvel: Which Disney+ Shows Are Most-Viewed
BY RICK PORTER   MARCH 31, 202
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/star-wars-vs-marvel-which-disney-shows-are-most-viewed-1235122942/ 

Of the live-action series, The Mandalorian is the clear leader. Nielsen’s year-end streaming chart for 2021 said Disney+ users watched about 14.5 billion minutes of the series during the course of the year, with the majority (8.4 billion) coming in the eight weeks that season two debuted.

More remarkable is how the first season performed. The Mandalorian premiered on day one of Disney+, Nov. 12, 2019. By the end of its first quarter, Disney had 26.5 million worldwide subscribers. Previously unrevealed Nielsen figures for season one indicate that the series amassed 5.42 billion minutes of viewing time during its seven-week run, topping out at 1.15 billion during the week its finale premiered. It added 800 million more minutes the week after its finale. To draw that much viewer interest with the relatively small subscriber base at that time illustrates just how eager Disney+ users (which now total 43 million in the U.S. and Canada alone) were to see the first live-action Star Wars series.

11rep_marveldisney-chart_EMBED.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

What Giancarlo Esposito Demanded When He Took Mandalorian’s Moff Gideon Role | The Rich Eisen Show
The Rich Eisen Show   Apr 10, 2022

-- Rich Eisen: "When do I and my children, the whole family, get more Mandalorian?"
Giancarlo Esposito: "You'll get it soon. Uh, you'll get it soon. I've got a little few things to do in regard to that, to put some finishing touches on what I do. Uh, but I believe it'll be some time this summer. No dates set yet, but coming soon."

-- Also, GE demanded a cape when he accepted the role of Moff Gideon.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So he thinks that Mando Season 3 will be out this summer???  Everyone else is saying December.

Maybe when it’s summer in Australia. Obi-Wan and Andor should both be ahead of season 3. 

Bryce Dallas Howard Loves Chocolate And Star Wars, Just Like You
Elizabeth Angell   April 12, 2022
https://www.romper.com/entertainment/bryce-dallas-howard-easter-traditions-mandalorian 

EA: Ok, so I know we don’t have that much time and we do have some important Star Wars questions. I think our first question was, how much did you know about Star Wars before you became involved and how much research did you have to do to direct the Mandalorian?

BDH: Growing up, our dad was, and still is to this day, very good friends with George Lucas who created Star Wars. We’re close in age to his kids. Last time I saw him, George was like, "I have a picture of all of you all in the bathtub together." I was like, "Awesome, George." And so, every single year for Christmas, we would get Star Wars figurines. Before I was even old enough to know who the characters were and what the stories were, I was getting these little figurines, and I was very curious about it, and I was really into it. I learned about Star Wars first through the toys. And when I was old enough to watch the movies, of course we watched the movies. And then I got even luckier, because when I was 15 years old, I went to a summer camp, and one of my friends at that summer camp is a woman named Natalie Portman.

[Ed Note: I inform my children that Portman played Padmé Amidala in the prequel films. They are suitably impressed.]

And right after we were at this camp together, she went and filmed the prequels. Since I knew George and I was friends with Natalie, and she was pretty young, she wanted to have a friend come out and visit. And so I got to go out to the set. So when I actually got to direct on Mandalorian, I didn't realize how well I knew Star Wars, but I knew it pretty well. Of course there's always more to learn. And there's this guy, Dave Filoni — do you know who Dave Filoni is?

Henry (my son): Yes!

BDH: Yeah. So, Dave Filoni, he knows Star Wars better than anyone other than George, and he was taught by George when he was doing all of the Clone Wars because they did that together. And we worked together on Mandalorian.
H: You might not have the answer to this, but Beskar, it seems to be completely impervious.

BDH: Yes.

H: Mando seems to be able to be shot multiple times in the chest without taking any damage. But that seems weird to me because, even though he wouldn't sustain any damage to his suit, wouldn't he get injured on the inside and need some time to recover? You're being shot at by lasers.

BDH: You're absolutely right. He's very strong, and in Mandalorian culture, they're trained to be warriors, and so they can do that. But then, that's where bacta spray comes in as well. Because he doesn't have a bacta tank like Boba, but bacta spray is helpful. But you are absolutely right. Did you watch the Boba Fett season at all?

All of us: Oh, yeah.

BDH: In the Boba Fett season, Mando got sliced by the dark saber, and then his leg was messed up. I was super excited to have that because I wanted to show he gets hurt and then heals from bacta spray. Do you have any more questions?

H: Yeah, I wanted to ask you why there are no handrails in Star Wars.

BDH: Oh my gosh I’m so glad you asked me that! I can’t tell you anything specific but all I can say is keep watching.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Bryce Dallas Howard Loves Chocolate And Star Wars, Just Like You
Elizabeth Angell   April 12, 2022
https://www.romper.com/entertainment/bryce-dallas-howard-easter-traditions-mandalorian 

The handrails question had me laughing. Leave it to a kid to ask the important questions! I'm guessing her answer means that she will be directing an episode of season 3 and it'll have some funny line about the lack of guardrails.

• Love 5
On 4/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

So he thinks that Mando Season 3 will be out this summer???  Everyone else is saying December.

I don't see how it could be summer knowing how long post-production takes.

Bryce Dallas Howard is a treasure and I hope she gets to direct a Star Wars movie one day.

• Love 5
(edited)

Star Wars: The Rebellion Will Be Televised
BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN    MAY 17, 2022
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/star-wars-cover-the-rebellion-will-be-televised 

... Season three of The Mandalorian, reuniting Pedro Pascal’s helmeted gunfighter with his little green ward (you know who), drops in late 2022 or early 2023. ....
After meeting at Kennedy’s office in Santa Monica, Favreau started work without even a contract. “I just started writing,” he says. “So by the time I was officially hired, I had already written the first, I think, four episodes.”

But there was a problem. Favreau’s idea was about a Mandalorian, the helmeted tribe of galactic warriors who frequently turn up as mercenaries or bounty hunters. The first, and for a long time the only, Mandalorian in the early Star Wars films was Boba Fett, and Lucasfilm planned to make him the central character in a feature film being developed by director James Mangold. That wasn’t the problem, although Favreau would eventually pick up the Boba Fett story after Mangold moved on to another Lucasfilm property, directing Indiana Jones 5. The problem Kennedy faced was that another esteemed creative executive, Dave Filoni, had also devised a series focused on Mandalorians. Filoni is the colorful cowboy hat–wearing mastermind behind many of Lucasfilm’s animated shows. He joined the company in 2005 as an apprentice to Lucas himself and developed The Clone Wars with him. Filoni wanted to explore some of the ideas they’d never fully realized. “I remember when I did Clone Wars, George came in and said, ‘Well, the Mandalorians are pacifists in this time period.’ I’m like, ‘Oh, well, that’s very different than what everybody thinks they were.’ And he was like, ‘Well, you’ve got to remember that people are never just one thing. Cultures evolve and they change over time.’ ”

Being able to channel the creator makes Filoni indispensable at Lucasfilm. He was a critical part of the company’s new TV ventures, and Kennedy had been nurturing his filmmaking ambitions ever since her arrival. Favreau and Filoni were friendly, but Kennedy feared a turf war might erupt. She devised a fix. “I arranged a playdate,” she says.

After meeting in Los Angeles, Favreau and Filoni exchanged ideas and drawings for a Mandalorian show that could combine their ideas. “They got along instantly, like gangbusters,” Kennedy says. Filoni’s knowledge of Mandalorian history blended with Favreau’s lone-gunslinger concept. Most importantly, the new partners challenged each other. Favreau’s idea for the Child was the biggest sticking point. “It gave us some pause,” Kennedy says. “He and Dave debated that quite ferociously.”
The Child, of course, is the pistachio-hued scene-stealer who would melt the Mandalorian’s icy bounty-hunter heart by becoming the innocent he must protect at all costs. The little one remained under wraps until the debut of the first episode, then instantly became an object of global adoration. His real name is Grogu, but in our world he is forever Baby Yoda. “Honestly, it’s something I never would’ve done because Yoda is Yoda,” Filoni says. Yoda’s home world and backstory were never fully revealed, and Filoni wanted to protect the mystery that Lucas built around the original Jedi master. “I think people now look back and think it was like a slam dunk, but we were very cautious,” Filoni says of the Child. “The amount of measuring, especially in the first season, for how we were framing this kid took a lot of effort.”

The pair spoke with Vanity Fair in a joint Zoom interview, and as Filoni described his initial reservations in one window, Favreau disappeared from another, rustling through papers and returning with sketches and drawings of Mando and Child. One of them, drawn by Filoni himself, showed the baby’s hand reaching out of a floating bassinet toward his burly protector. Most of the other concepts were off-putting—wrinkled, feral, or cartoonish. It’s easy to understand Filoni’s hesitation. “There were a lot of different looks that popped up, and then we got one that finally clicked. It’s this drawing,” Favreau says, tapping a full-color concept image by artist Chris Alzmann, now emblazoned on countless pieces of merchandise. In it, the Child sits in a bulky brown onesie with wide doe eyes and a slightly derpy expression. “That’s him. This one,” Favreau says. “He had kind of a goofy, ugly look. We didn’t want him too cute.” Part of his charm is that you feel a little pity for the guy, like Chaplin’s Tramp or Charlie Brown.

There was never an alternate creature suggestion. It’s not like we might have gotten a crustacean-like Baby Ackbar on lunch boxes, dolls, backpacks, and T-shirts. And we may never have gotten a Child at all if Lucasfilm hadn’t solved another, even bigger problem with The Mandalorian: how to create a show that goes to new worlds in every episode without the backbreaking budgetary demands of shipping a crew to the farthest reaches of our own planet. “We were making series that were meant to sit alongside our films with a third of the budget and half the time,” says Carrie Beck, a development and production executive at Lucasfilm who co-executive-produced The Mandalorian. “While it became a huge success, I feel like everybody’s blood, sweat, and tears are on that screen.”
After The Mandalorian debuted in late 2019, Lucasfilm’s special effects division, Industrial Light & Magic, began to reveal details of the colossal curved LED wall they call The Volume that can envelop a film crew as effectively as any location shoot, generating an environment that’s convincingly photorealistic, even to a digital camera. There’s no need to ship a crew and props and actors anywhere. Everywhere can be brought to the studio. With three Volumes now in L.A., one in London, and one in Vancouver, film and TV creators are just beginning to discover its capabilities. The glow of dusk or dawn can last the whole workday if necessary. You can freeze the sun. Or, if you’re shooting something set on Tatooine, you can freeze two of them.
Four years later, The Volume is an essential everyday tool. During a visit in mid-March, it conjures a rocky gray cavern, with cliffs embedded with large tech components. Whatever this place is, it’s been colonized. On the flat ceiling of the studio, you can see the craggy roof of the cave, with a rough opening that lets light pour down from a circle of blue sky.

There’s less clutter than other sets and virtually no dust. There’s no smell of fresh paint, sculpted foam, or freshly cut lumber. The Volume has the sterile, ozone scent of a Best Buy as millions upon millions of tiny light-emitting diodes embedded in the curved surface evoke alien landscapes. Favreau shows off the stage like a man opening the hood of a newly restored classic car. Asked if the technology allows them to make a full season of television in the same amount of time as a Star Wars or Marvel movie, Favreau shakes his head: “No, it’s like half the time.”

FS9IaGcXwAA7mkR?format=jpg

20220310-VF_STAR_WARS_Embed04.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

From the schedule for this year's Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, CA...

https://www.starwarscelebration.com/en-us/panels/panel-information.html?gtID=766299&panel-name=Mando-and--A-Conversation-with-Jon-Favreau-and-amp-Dave-Filoni

MANDO+ : A CONVERSATION WITH JON FAVREAU & DAVE FILONI

SAT, MAY 28, 2022
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM

In their first appearance at Star Wars Celebration since the premiere of The Mandalorian, join Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni with special guests for a lookback and a look ahead at what’s to come.

https://www.starwarscelebration.com/en-us/panels/panel-information.html?gtID=766300&panel-name=Behind-the-Scenes-of-The-Mandalorian-and-amp-The-Book-of-Boba-Fett

BEHIND THE SCENES OF THE MANDALORIAN & THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT

SAT, MAY 28, 2022
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

Return to the sands of Tatooine as members of the visual effects, creature effects, and sound teams pull back the curtain on their work for The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett to meet the creative challenges put forth by showrunners Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and Robert Rodriguez. The team will share how practical puppets, advanced animatronics, CG animation, and cutting edge sound combine to bring the creatures to life. The filmmakers will also illustrate how miniatures continue to play a role in visual effects, and explain the latest advancements in virtual production from the ILM StageCraft team that helped pioneer the technology.

https://www.starwarscelebration.com/en-us/panels/panel-information.html?gtID=766303&panel-name=Doug-Chiang-Designing-THE-MANDALORIAN

DOUG CHIANG: DESIGNING THE MANDALORIAN

SAT, MAY 28, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

The Mandalorian Production Designer and Lucasfilm’s Vice President and Executive Creative Director Doug Chiang will present an in-depth talk about designing the characters, spaceships, and worlds for Star Wars’ first live action series The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. He will share his design process and showcase rare artwork to offer insight into the Lucasfilm Art Department’s creative process. He will reveal the challenges they faced in developing memorable new characters like Grogu and the Mandalorian. Attendees will also have the chance to ask Doug their own questions.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'The Mandalorian' #1 Cover Reveals Din Djarin on a Mission

Marvel is releasing an adaptation of the first season of The Mandalorian in an eight issue comic book format. To ensue that you know this is a blatant cash grab, the first issue, being released on Wednesday, July 6, will come in 8 different variants. Here is one of the multitude of covers you can choose from.

image003-(1).jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr 

To get more information and to see other covers, Get Your First Look at 'Star Wars: The Mandalorian' #1

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

And there was a trailer shown - but only to the panel. It's not available online.

Well, I am grateful we got to see two episodes of The Mandalorian on the Bob Fett show. Since we have to wait such a long time for Mandalorian 3 - which by the way the eternal party pooper Grace Randolph claims will be the last season.

• Useful 3
(edited)

SWCA 2022: 20 HIGHLIGHTS FROM LUCASFILM’S STUDIO SHOWCASE
May 26, 2022
https://www.starwars.com/news/swca-2022-20-highlights-from-lucasfilms-studio-showcase?cmp=smc|7027455325 

17. The Mandalorian Season 3 sneak peek. Played just for the room, a look at Season 3 featured Mando, Grogu, Bo-Katan, Greef Karga, and much more. “I’m going to Mandalore so that I may be forgiven for my transgressions,” Din Djarin said in the preview, hinting at where the story might take us.

Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni Take The Stage At SWCA 2022 | Star Wars Celebration Live!
Star Wars  May 26, 2022

Katee Sackhoff on The Mandalorian, Bo-Katan and more SWCA 2022 | Star Wars Celebration LIVE!
Star Wars  May 26, 2022

Star Wars Celebration: Pedro Pascal’s Excellent Mando Adventure
BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN   MAY 26, 2022
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/pedro-pascal-star-wars-the-mandalorian 

“In one corner, there appeared the illustration of what clearly looked like a baby version of Yoda, and my eye went immediately to it. I didn’t understand whether it was the actual character or not, because I wasn't quick enough to do the math—the Star Wars math.

“I just saw the creature, and my heart melted, and I understood. I was like, ‘You guys know people are going to lose their minds when they see that?’

“I got in my car, and I followed Jon to Manhattan Beach studios from the offices where we initially met. I think I may have called my agent. And I'm like, ‘I think they want me to play Boba Fett!’

“They didn't say, ‘This is not Boba Fett.’ But I didn't ask. Again, it's this weird thing that belongs to me, where I don't want too much information if I'm not ready to process it. I was not ready for a yes or a no on the things that were running through my mind.
“I think that they thought that I knew—but I didn't know—so I asked them finally: ‘What do you guys want me to do? What do you guys want me to play?’ And they seemed confused. They said, ‘You're the Mandalorian.’

“And I was like, ‘Holy shit. … Really?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

You can watch a dodgy version of it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMandalorianTV/comments/uyoze4/mandalorian_season_3_leaked_trailer_from_todays/

I’m pretty bummed that we have to wait until next year for season 3. Ah well. 

Love to have seen that footage:  thanks for posting.  It looks awesome.  When I read yesterday that the show wasn’t coming back until next year, I was thinking that this is why I don’t get super excited for TV shows anymore: years-long waits defuse the excitement.  But then I saw that trailer, and I’m like, “wooo-hoooo, give me all the Mandalorian content now; should I do a rewatch?”  Lol.  Well, good to know that even though I’m getting old, I can still hyperfixate like no one’s business.  

• Love 7

Honestly, the rockstar treament Pedro gets for playing the role of Mando confuses me given how little time he spends on set and on screen. Introducing and giving credit to the stuntmen who do most of the work seems like the least he could do to me. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bethy said:

Honestly, the rockstar treament Pedro gets for playing the role of Mando confuses me given how little time he spends on set and on screen. Introducing and giving credit to the stuntmen who do most of the work seems like the least he could do to me. 

He gets the rockstar treatment primarily because he’s Pedro Pascal. He came into playing the role of Mando with a stellar reputation thanks to Narcos, GoT and being a genuinely good person.  He just has a lot of goodwill built up. 

1 hour ago, bethy said:

The industry doesn't work that way - stunt men and women are in a profession that is well respected and indispensable but also very much behind the scenes.  They are there to make the actor and the film/tv look good.

The two stunt men who do all the stunts and stand-in for Pedro Pascal spent the entire panel on the stage with the producers, one director, and several of the actors.  It is certainly well-deserved but also quite extraordinary.  A lot of actors tend to have big egos and are very insecure. Pedro Pascal honoring them and making it very clear publicly that it takes 3 men to play Mando is a very unusual and gracious thing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Compare it to a similar hypothetical situation - wouldn't Frank Oz get the rockstar treatment too? Sometimes he's the puppeteer, sometimes he's not, but he's always the voice... so he *is* Yoda (and Miss Piggy, and Fozzie, and...).

Pedro deserves all the love he gets, and the stunt doubles deserve the recognition too. From the little bit I've seen or read, I think everyone (panel and audience) handled it perfectly. 

Now if we could only get that trailer on YouTube...

• Love 6

Pedro Pascal Takes the Stage at SWCA 2022 | Star Wars Celebration LIVE!
Star Wars    May 28, 2022

Giancarlo Esposito joins us on stage at SWCA 2022 | Star Wars Celebration LIVE!
Star Wars    May 28, 2022

Bryce Dallas Howard Directing ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 3 Episode (Exclusive)
BY BORYS KIT  MAY 27, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-mandalorian-season-3-bryce-dallas-howard-1235155578/ 

The actress-director, who stars in this June’s Jurassic World: Dominion, is directing an episode of season three of The Mandalorian, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The Mandalorian Season 3 Footage Previews Mando's Redemption and Looming Conflict With Bo-Katan
By Jim Vejvoda   May 28, 2022
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-mandalorian-season-3-preview-footage-breakdown-bo-katan-redemption-celebration 

UPDATED, Saturday May 28: The sizzle reel for The Mandalorian Season 3 was shown again during Saturday's Mando+ panel at Star Wars Celebration, but this version was roughly one minute longer with new footage added.

This additional minute of footage included shots of Mando flying in his N-1 with appears to be R5-D4 as his co-pilot. Star Wars fans may recall that was the red astromech droid Owen Lars had originally purchased from the Jawas in A New Hope before R2-D2.

We see more action shots of Mandalorians, including one group jumping from a ship paratrooper-style. There are more shots of Grogu being cute, such as looking out a cockpit window at what appears to be fireworks and of him watching Bo-Katan eating.

And while it's unclear if one of these characters is droidsmith Babu Frik, who was introduced in The Rise of Skywalker, the additional footage also reveals several Anzellans.

The extended preview also included shots of what appeared to be a downed Star Detroyer and, in its closing moments, an aerial view of the remnants of destroyed buildings on Mandalore.
Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy, exec producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, and cast member Katee Sackhoff appeared at Thursday’s Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim where they provided eager fans with the first look at footage from the third season of The Mandalorian. The sizzle reel, which was not officially released online, was brief but it shed light on what Din Djarin’s story arc will be about next season: redemption.

The footage began with Din, aka Mando (Pedro Pascal), and little Grogu visiting the Armorer (Emily Swallow) who, like a judge handing down a harsh sentence, makes it crystal clear that Mando has messed up big time.

“You have removed your helmet. And worse, you did so of your own free will,” the Armorer says. The footage then cuts to a shot of the ever adorable Grogu’s reaction. This elicited hearty laughter from the crowd.

“You are no longer a Mandalorian,” she says, adding, “Redemption is no longer possible.”
We then follow Mando and Grogu as their travels take them to reconnect with their ally Greef Karga (Carl Weathers). As Mando and Grogu approach Greef’s compound, a pack of Kowakian monkey-lizards (like Salacious B. Crumb) is perched in a tree snickering at them.

Greef is decked out in a pretty impressive outfit complete with a red robe. He seems to be doing very well for himself like he is perhaps in a new high-ranking position of power. He greets Mando and Grogu warmly.

The sizzle reel includes a myriad number of atmospheric shots of sets and a sequence where Mando and Grogu are being chased in their new N-1 ship by several enemy ships. We see rebel X-wing pilot Captain Carson Teva (Paul Sun-Hyung Lee) and a Rodian meeting with mechanic Pelli Moto (Amy Sedaris).

There are also quick glimpses of Galactic scientist Doctor Pershing (Omid Abtahi). Greef looks like he’s about to get into a quick-draw duel with someone. We also see Mando and Grogu (floating along in his hover pod) exploring what appears to be the mines of Mandalore. There are also shots of several different Mandalorians.
But it’s the build-up to the return of Sackhoff’s Bo-Katan that hints at the conflict looming between them in this coming season. Mando walks down a long hallway and finds Bo-Katan sitting on a throne. She’s not exactly pleased to see him. Bo-Katan says his “cult” (a reference to the Children of the Watch) had given up on Mandalore long before the purge. “Where were you then?”

Mando tells Bo-Katan: “I am going to Mandalore so that I may be forgiven for my transgressions.”

As you may recall from the end of The Mandalorian Season 2, Mando had beaten Moff Gideon in combat and taken the Darksaber from him. And although he offered it to Bo-Katan without any strings attached, she refused. She had taken the Darksaber before without winning it in combat and things didn’t exactly turn out well for her. Now Mando has a greater claim to the throne of Mandalore than she does.

At the very end of the Season 3 sizzle reel, we see a fully armored Bo-Katan in action where she says to Grogu, “Did you think your dad was the only Mandalorian?”

And that’s where the preview ended.

'The Mandalorian' Season 3 Footage Reveals First Look at Mandalore in Live Action
By Samantha Coley   May 28, 2022
https://collider.com/mandalorian-season-3-footage-mandalore-star-wars-celebration/ 

Today at Star Wars Celebration, fans at the event got their first glimpse of The Mandalorian Season 3 in a brief, thrilling teaser for the latest installment in the spinoff series. At the Mando+ panel, showrunners Jon Favreau and executive producer Dave Filoni previewed the new season along with cast members Pedro Pascal, Giancarlo Esposito, Carl Weathers, Emily Swallow, Brendan Wayne, and Lateef Crowder.

Among many exciting announcements about the upcoming season of The Mandalorian, it was also announced that Rick Famuyiwa would be moving up from writing and directing the series to take on an executive producer role for Season 3. We also saw some exciting footage Thursday featuring the return of Bo-Katan and the Armorer. We also learned that we'll be able to catch up with The Mandalorian sometime early next year, with a February 2023 release window.

Collider's own Maggie Lovitt was in attendance reporting on the event and shared some exciting details about the new footage. In an extended look building off the teaser shown on Thursday, audiences at Star Wars Celebration were treated to a first look at Mandalore in live-action. In the final shot of the teaser Din Djarin (Pascal) is shown flying towards the ruins of the once-thriving and glorious homeworld of the Mandalorians. We also got to see three adorable Anzellan, which were first introduced in The Rise of Skywalker, as many will remember the lovable Anzellan Babu Frick. It wasn’t clear what their roles would be. The teaser also showed a lot more Mandalorians showing up this season.

Baby-Yoda-The-Mandalorian-eating-eggs.jp 

Star Wars Celebration: Baby Yoda With Human Eyes Called "Creepy and Psychotic" by Designer
By SPENCER PERRY - May 28, 2022
https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-celebration-baby-yoda-human-eyes-creepy-psychotic/

The big panel of the night at Star Wars Celebration was Doug Chiang: Designing The Mandalorian, featuring the VP & Executive Creative Director for Star Wars at Lucasfilm, who also served as Design Supervisor on the first season of The Mandalorian and Production Designer on the second, showing off all kinds of making-of art and behind-the-scenes. Naturally, at a certain point, Chiang spoke about the design process for Grogu, best known around the world as Baby Yoda. Chiang called it the "trickiest design" of the series, saying they spent a lot of time working on the "very fine line of not going too cute" but also something fans would love.

"Finally we came back to something that was more Yoda-like, this seemed to be the direction that worked the best," Chiang said. "We were all circling something, we knew we were in the zone, but none of these were hitting the perfect note for Jon (Favreau). Jon kept describing him as 'ugly-cute,' something that's not designed to be cute. It turned out that the eyes were the key, Jon wanted them to be dog-like with giant, dark pupils; and note human like, when they're human eyes, when you can see the whites and the color of his eyes, it gets very strange very fast. And this is really curious because Yoda has human eyes, and it looks great for him, but oddly when we gave Grogu human eyes he just looked creepy and psychotic." 

Chiang added, "Like a puppy dog, there's just enough white in his eyes visible to make him look adorable. Seeing that tiny bit of white gave his eyes a very charming, sympathetic look. Then dressing him in this oversized sake completely captured that ugly-cute factor."  

baby-yoda-concept-art.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-2.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-3.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-4.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-5.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-7.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-6.png

baby-yoda-concept-art-8.png

• Love 6

I hope everybody had a chance to watch the Mando+ panel that was floating around online since Saturday - the end made me kind of verklempt.  "We are making a new show "my three daddies" (Filoni) and look at all those daddies and everybody else crowding around Grogu adoringly.

• Love 2
(edited)

Here's video of the entire Mando+ panel (with Jon, Dave, Pedro, Giancarlo, Emily, Carl, Temuera, Katee, Rosario, Natasha, and others)...

2022 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim – Mando+: A Conversation with Jon Favreau & Dave Filoni
PureMX33   May 29, 2022

Jon Favreau Confirms The Mandalorian Season 4
Planet Haven   May 29, 2022

-- Jon: "Now, as Dave's doing Ahsoka, it's very much informing the writing that I'm doing for Season 3 - I mean, for Season 4... It becomes, um, how should I put it? More precise. Because as I was writing the first season of The Mandalorian, I could do anything, set it anywhere. Dave would read it, we'd go back and forth, I would adjust, and there it was. Now, we have to figure out why there are certain Mandalorians who wear helmets, certain ones who don't wear helmets, what's happening on Mandalore... What's Bo-Katan doing at this time? How does she feel about that? Where's the Dark Saber? So it really creates a very fertile ground for imagination and for storytelling."

Jon Favreau on Whether Grogu Is The Key to the Far Future of Star Wars
IGN   May 29, 2022

Pedro Pascal Talks the Future of The Mandalorian
Variety   May 28, 2022

Does Pedro Pascal Prefer The Mandalorian's N-1 Naboo Starfighter or the Razor Crest?
IGN   May 29, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

In this interview, Jon Kasdan said that he's had talks with Mandalorian showrunner Jon Favreau about the possibility of storylines continuing from Solo: A Star Wars Story and mentioned Emilia Clarke's Qi'ra as someone who he believes will return in the future...

Star Wars Celebration: Writer Jon Kasdan Wants to See 'Solo' Storylines Continue
Screen Rant Plus   May 31, 2022

Star Wars TV Status Report: The Latest on Lando, Mando, Ahsoka and 5 Others
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 5 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/every-star-wars-tv-series-release-date-casting-news/ 

THE MANDALORIAN (Season 3)
WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Given the events of The Book of Boba Fett Episode 5 — where Din Djarin was told by the Armorer that he “is a Mandalorian no more,” because he had removed his helmet/shown his face to others — and judging by footage screened for those attending Star Wars Celebration 2022, Season 3 will involve Mando, with Grogu in tow, aiming to reclaim his status by visiting the “living waters” in the mines under Mandalore. Something which Bo Katan might not be too keen about!

CONFIRMED SEASON 3 CAST: Pedro Pascal, Katee Sackhoff, Carl Weathers, Emily Swallow and Giancarlo Esposito

PREMIERE DATE: Season 3 will premiere sometime in 2023.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, tv echo said:

In this interview, Jon Kasdan said that he's had talks with Mandalorian showrunner Jon Favreau about the possibility of storylines continuing from Solo: A Star Wars Story and mentioned Emilia Clarke's Qi'ra as someone who he believes will return in the future...

Star Wars Celebration: Writer Jon Kasdan Wants to See 'Solo' Storylines Continue
Screen Rant Plus   May 31, 2022

Interesting. His only Star Wars writing experience so far has been writing Solo: A Star Wars Story. But he does have some familial connections that probably helped.

His dad, Lawrence Kasdan, wrote SW: The Empire Strikes Back (Episode 5), SW: Return of the Jedi (Episode 6), SW: The Force Awakens (Episode 7), and Solo: A Star Wars Story, along with a SW radio drama and some SW video games.

(edited)

The Mandalorian: Carl Weathers Promises ‘More Action And More Scope’ In His Season 3 Episode – Exclusive
By Ben Travis   July 7, 2022
https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/mandalorian-season-3-carl-weathers-more-action-scope-exclusive/ 

When The Mandalorian last strolled into town on Disney+, the Star Wars series brought with it an episode directed by the legendary Carl Weathers – the actor who portrays Mando’s recurring comrade Greef Karga. With ‘Chapter 12: The Siege’, Weathers delivered an action-packed instalment that culminated in a thrilling vehicular chase sequence – and also gave us the all-important ‘Grogu and his little blue space-macaron’ saga. It was a confident directorial outing – and, as he confirmed at Star Wars Celebration, he’s officially returned to helm an episode of the upcoming Season 3. Speaking to Empire, he teases an ever deeper dive into high-octane territory for his new ep.

“Oh there was a bit more [action], I think, in this one,” he says of his Season 3 outing, adding that it’s “a little different [to ‘The Siege’], because a lot of it had a lot more scope. But this one also had many, many different kinds of stories within the story, and that's really nice.” For Weathers, stepping behind the camera on Mando is a chance to dabble in multiple genres at once. “I love directing. It's my passion. This show gives you so much opportunity to deal with all these different characters,” he says. “Even though they're different episodes, it's not like typical episodic television – it's not a whodunnit, it's not a dark comedy, it's not a procedural. It's so many different things, and it's action-adventure on top of that. As a director, you get a chance to exercise your talent, and also your ability to deliver in those different areas.”

The new season will also see Weathers return in front of the camera as Greef Karga – this time sporting a fetching new red robe, glimpsed in the exclusive Season 3 footage debuted at Celebration. “Amazing, isn't it?” Weathers beams of his new get-up. “We have such a wonderful wardrobe designer who puts all of that together. The wardrobe is majestic to say the least. Greef wears it well!” Not only is the cloak “damn heavy”, but it signifies growth for the character from where we met him back in Season 1. “It really speaks to how he has matriculated, how he has grown in stature and ambition,” he explains. “And obviously on screen it looks fantastic. It adds so much.” Going by the Weathers forecast, we’re in for another stellar season.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Giancarlo Esposito, Carl Weathers, Temura Morrison and Emily Swallow...

'The Mandalorian' Cast Reflects on the Franchise | Star Wars Celebration | Entertainment Weekly
Entertainment Weekly    Aug 4, 2022

• Like 2

From Saturday (Aug. 27)...

-- Giancarlo Esposito: "Long live the Empire. Long live the Empire! ... Teaser, teaser, teaser. I said that second 'Long live the Empire' for a reason. ... Season 3! Mandalorian. Watch, watch, watch."

Fan Expo Canada 2022: Giancarlo Esposito panel
Comic Jo    Aug 28, 2022

Edited by tv echo
On 9/10/2022 at 5:09 PM, Dani said:

February. Favreau and Filoni announced it at Star Wars Celebration. 
‘The Mandalorian’ Season 3 To Premiere In February 2023

I think there are at least some rumors floating around that the February date may have been pushed back.  I saw a few references in breakdowns of the D23 coverage that the Comic-Con version of this trailer still said “February 2023,” but the D23 version of the trailer just said “2023.”  Somehow that has people chattering that it’s been delayed months.

It’s a great trailer that has me hyped.  One thing that I haven’t seen anyone discuss relates to when Bo-Katan asks Grogu, “Did you think your Dad was the only Mandalorian?”  Grogu saw Bo-Katan and the other Mandalorians in Season 2, and saw the Armorer in Season 1 (I think?), so I wonder what the context of that line will be.  There are GIFs from the trailer that diligent GIF makers posted to Tumblr and that show better detail of how Din has his bandolier strapped around Grogu like a seatbelt, how he kind of has to push Grogu’s head down when they’re doing that barrel roll and how Grogu is snuggling up with Din at the end there.  It’s super cute stuff.

• Love 1

Includes The Mandalorian Season 3 presentation with Jon Favreau (producer), Dave Filoni (producer), Rick Famuyiwa (producer/director), Katee Sackhoff, Emily Swallow, Amy Sedaris, Giancarlo Esposito, and Pedro Pascal...

Star Wars and Lucasfilm Presentation Highlights | D23 Expo 2022
IGN   Sep 11, 2022

Unconfirmed...

Exclusive: Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 3 Premiere Date! 
Jason Ward (EIC)    October 31, 2022
https://makingstarwars.net/2022/10/exclusive-star-wars-the-mandalorian-season-3-premiere-date/ 

I now have several trusted disparate sources confirming that the release date of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season Three is February 22nd, 2023 on Disney+. So get your watch parties planned, put in for your vacation day at work, there’s no excuse you can’t stay up for the midnight showing now. Unless you don’t like erratic sleeping patterns, to each their own.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 1