Type keyword(s) to search

The Umbrella Academy in the Media

• Start Topic

From Deadline;

The apocalypse is nigh at Netflix. The streaming service on Saturday released the first footage from its live-action adaptation of The Umbrella Academy (premiering Friday, Feb. 15), based on the Dark Horse comic book series of the same name.

• Love 1

This show looks so good, but it's a beast to find the forum for it! I could not find it with the search function, I eventually found it after finding the U and searching at he very bottom. I can't even add it to my list of shows. It looks like its been archived, but it's starting soon so I am not sure.

Anyway, I love Michael Sheehan so I will be watching! The trailer looks fantastic and I can't wait for it to start.

• Love 4

It was supposed to be on in August but wasn't quite finished when the Corona virus hit. So who knows when now. It's not like I don't have a million things I could be watching but I was looking most forward to that show and this one.

• Love 1

The Umbrella Academy on Instagram has released images from Season Two. They look great!

Spoiler

I was surprised by a couple of them-Vanya is with the group, Diego is the the uniform. Sometimes from the pics you look like you can pick up stuff from the season, but I literally have no idea.

I’ve seen the pics on actor’s instagrams and on the Umbrella Academy account. I’ve seen different ones shared on different accounts so if you want to take a peek, make sure you hit up the different accounts.

(edited)

Yusuf! Aw shit, he's the man, loved him on The Originals.

This looks awesome, Klaus is going to be a hoot. I hope we get more Ben. Kind of love the new looks for everyone.

Diego and Klaus are looking hot with the long hair. Luthor looks hot with the new cut (but, I've been a Tom Hopper fan since Black Sails)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yusuf! Aw shit, he's the man, loved him on The Originals.

He's going to be in season 2?! I didn't even notice him in the trailer. Let me go watch it again lol. I loved him in The Originals.

July 31st can't come soon enough!

ETA: Was the older man Five was talking to in the beginning of the promo Hazel?

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

He's going to be in season 2?! I didn't even notice him in the trailer. Let me go watch it again lol. I loved him in The Originals.

July 31st can't come soon enough!

ETA: Was the older man Five was talking to in the beginning of the promo Hazel?

Yusuf is in the scenes with Allison. Looks like they're in a relationship/married?

Yes, that looks like and older Hazel. I was shocked at first since I thought his story ended with S1.  

• Love 1

I just binged season 1 and now I am eagerly awaiting season 2 so I have been gobbling up content.  Here is a zoom interview with the cast talking a LOT about season 2.  I love how they are in number order on the screen and also, I could just listen to Robert Sheehan talk for hours!

• Love 4

FYI, with the news of the day, this is some information that will be helpful to many.

Primetimer likes the GLAAD document provided here: http://www.glaad.org/reference/offensive It's a concise accounting of the dos and don'ts of language referencing the LGBT community and LGBT people. GLAAD today also issued a press release/tip sheet which includes the following;

• DO refer to them as Elliot Page. DON’T refer to them by their former name. He has changed it, and should be accorded the same respect received by anyone who has changed their name. Since Elliot Page was known to the public by their prior name, it may be necessary initially to say "Elliot Page, formerly known as Ellen Page, …" However, once the public has learned Page's new name, do not continually refer to it

We will be following this going forward, so please PM me, the forum mod, with questions.

Thanks!

@saoirse

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Forgive me but, why would they have to change Vanya? Why can't Elliott continue to play Vanya as a woman/female character?

Don't see why they can't if the want to. I was just musing About if they choose to have Vanya also become male. My thinking is if Eliot has chosen this, it might be preferable if he plays Vanya as a man, rather than the same character as when he identified as female.

But whatever they decide. Saul Goodman.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Forgive me but, why would they have to change Vanya? Why can't Elliott continue to play Vanya as a woman/female character?

I was thinking this too. People from way back in ancient time played the other gender. I don't see why they can't have him just keep playing the same role as it is. 

I realized this is offensive but I honestly don't want to them to put this in the show at all. I don't want the storyline have to now focus on this instead of the comic-book stuff the show is about. The season is already at most going to be 13 episodes long (maybe less), I don't want them now have to devote time for this and shoehorn it into the plot.  The one relationship I was hoping would be explored more was the one between the two sisters. But if they do change Vanya then Alison is the only girl left. Though I suppose they could still explore the relationship anyway, but it'll still be different. Honestly I think it's best if the show doesn't acknowledge it at all, and he keeps playing the same role as it was. What a person does in their personal life is up to them but I feel like it doesn't need to impact the show in anyway.  Sorry if this offends anyone, but that is how I feel.  I'll be happy Elliott continues to play Vanya and I'm looking forward to see season 3. 

• Love 2

I am glad that Netflix/UA have decided to keep Vanya cis gender female.

On the one hand, I think it would have been cool for Vanya to transition to mirror Elliot's own situation if for no other reason than I think it would help crystallize it in some people's minds who persist in misgendering them as a reminder that Elliot is no longer their former persona.

But on the other hand, I feel that if there had never been any intention for Vanya to transition then to deliberately write it in to mimic the actor's life situation feels too archly meta and would, imo, always hover over the story and maybe even eclipse the organic storytelling in some ways.

Also, frankly I think that having an out non-binary actor continue to play a cis-het character in a stroyline that isn't about their gender identity would be the exception rather than the norm for tv, it always feels like the story for any marginalized person is their identity.  To my knowledge most out non-binary and/or trans actors play that same role in their tv shows/movies. And  in many cases their characters are also "activist" characters who have to carry the water for that representation.  On the whole the rep is nice to see and it is great that there is more and more trans and non-binary visibilty.  But it can also seem somewhat limiting in that they simply are not allowed to just disappear into a role like anyone else.  In this case I think keeping Vanya just who she has always been and whose storyline is centered on her powers and her messed up family with no allusion to her actors' gender identity would in the end actually be the more progressive move.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, DearEvette said:

In this case I think keeping Vanya just who she has always been and whose storyline is centered on her powers and her messed up family with no allusion to her actors' gender identity would in the end actually be the more progressive move.

I agree, and besides, Elliott Page is an actor. Isn't this what actors do? Inhabit characters that are not themselves? Elliott has been playing this character as a woman for two seasons, and I don't see any reason why he can't do it for season three either.

• Love 2

Casting news for season three - they have cast the Sparrows!

The end of the second season of The Umbrella Academy left us with the introduction of an alternate 2019 which included a very much alive Sir Reginald Hargreeves (Colm Feore) and someone who seemed to be Ben (Justin H. Min). We also saw five people — including a floating cube that dubbed themselves the Sparrow Academy. This new mysterious group of kids aren’t necessarily doppelgangers to the original Umbrella Academy, but they might as well be.

‘The Umbrella Academy’ Season 3 Unveils Cast For Sparrow Academy Which Includes… A Telekinetic Cube?

• Useful 2

Awwww... very cute Architectural Digest at home segment with Emmy Raver-Lampman and Daveed Diggs.  I love their house!  That bathroom wallpaper... I mean...

Edited by DearEvette
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Awwww... very cute Architectural Digest at home segment with Emmy Raver-Lampman and Daveed Diggs.  I love their house!  That bathroom wallpaper... I mean...

OMG. They are totally THE Hollywood couple I want to hang out with now! So many napping places!

• Love 2