Type keyword(s) to search

Former Hosts: PROFESSIONAL Life After The View

Jaded
  • Start Topic

The only Trump I can tolerate is Barron - leave 'im alone!  As the disabled mother of a handicapped child I can attest that laypeople speculating about whether a kid is autistic is never benign.  Cant we redirect our inquiring minds towards say, figuring out  how to unseat Drumpf via conflicts of interest or  his patent unfitness for office?

• Love 11
On 11/25/2016 at 2:21 AM, backformore said:

And, to be fair, people had been blasting Barron on social media for looking bored, yawning, not paying attention, while Trump was  speaking, saying he should behave better

A fidgety 10 yo boy?  Who ever heard of such a thing?

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

A fidgety 10 yo boy?  Who ever heard of such a thing?

I totally agree with you @Haleth.  I've never had children, so I don't know, but he appeared to be just exhausted & totally out of his element.  (How many times had he been put in such a heavy concentration of people roaring, screaming, etc.???)

• Love 7

Oh, there are some definite red flags with Barron.  It's not just at one event either. 

ETA:  Rosie said on her site that her daughter Dakota was recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and she saw some of the mannerisms in Barron.   If you've spent much time with kids with autism,  you can see it when you watch the videos.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

Years ago, when the Terri Schiavo controversy was playing out, Senator Frist got into a lot of trouble for "diagnosing" Schiavo on the basis of a video.  Similarly Rosie should refrain from theorizing on a kid's medical condition on the basis of a few minutes of footage.

As for Dakota's diagnosis....this is Rosie's third child with a mental/medical disorder. Blake has a sensory processing disorder and Chelsea has issues as well. I just find it....odd; given the percentage of these conditions in the general public, that three out of five children in a family - unrelated genetically - have these issues seems to be a statistical anomoly.  Muchausen's by Proxy comes to mind.  

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 2

Many foster kids/adoptees have emotional, physical,  and mental issues due to genetics and/or bio parents using drugs/alcohol, not to mention abuse of all kinds. I was a foster parent for several years, then  got a M.A. in Special Ed.  

Rosie's case is not surprising,  including Chelsea wanting to meet her bio family.  Adoption is seriously complex as it concerns the human psyche. 

Idk abt Barron......don't care enough to watch him or his orange pig of a father. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Years ago, when the Terri Schiavo controversy was playing out, Senator Frist got into a lot of trouble for "diagnosing" Schiavo on the basis of a video.  Similarly Rosie should refrain from theorizing on a kid's medical condition on the basis of a few minutes of footage.

As for Dakota's diagnosis....this is Rosie's third child with a mental/medical disorder. Blake has a sensory processing disorder and Chelsea has issues as well. I just find it....odd; given the percentage of these conditions in the general public, that three out of five children in a family - unrelated genetically - have these issues seems to be a statistical anomoly.  Muchausen's by Proxy comes to mind.  

NO, it's NOT a statistical anomaly. 

Consider, please, that most foster kids are not coming from ideal circumstances.  Kids often land in the foster care system because they were born to mothers with no prenatal care, poor nutrition, poverty, their own developmental or psychiatric difficulties, and so on.   Even babies who don't have fetal alcohol syndrome can have learning and behavioral difficulties due to the mom's drug/alcohol use during pregnancy.   When babies are born drug-addicted or drug-exposed, the moms often lose custody, and the kids end up in the foster care system, and they have long-term effects on their brain development.    Sometimes parents with poor impulse control, learning difficulties, social deficits, bipolar disorder, ADHD,  are more likely to have unplanned pregnancy, and then to be unable to care for a child.   And the potential for those difficulties is to some extent genetic.  

To add to what @Tosia posted, foster children are just statistically more likely to have these difficulties than the general population.  AND good  foster parents can be more attuned to looking for the early signs of difficulties. 

• Love 13

These children are not foster children. They were adopted at infancy. Rosie did foster a child but the child, according to Rosie, had severe emotional issues and needed a different environment.

The CDC estimates that 1/150 children are autistic. Studies on auditing processing disorder estimate anywhere from 2-5% of children suffer than that. Sorry, I'm sticking with my belief that to have two children with these issues in one family is statistically unusual, even normalizing for the possibility that parents who give up their children for adoption may have problems or don't care for themselves during pregnancy.  YMMV.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

The CDC estimates that 1/150 children are autistic.

http://www.autism-society.org/what-is/facts-and-statistics/

Since the disorder is now Autism Spectrum Disorders, and includes people with less severe symptoms, the incidence is about twice what you quoted - 1 in 68 in the US.  And, babies given up for adoption are also more likely to have behavioral, emotional, developmental disorders, for all of the reasons I stated above for foster kids.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html

One out of 189 girls is diagnosed with ASD. My point still stands about the statistical unusualness of having two kids in one family, one with a disorder that strikes 1/189 of girls, and one that strikes 1/20 kids. YMMV, and lets leave it at that.

By the very nature of the profession she has chosen, Rosie craves attention. In fact by even posting the thing about Barron Trump, I am questioning her motivations. She knows the Trump supporters are goons who hate her and that this was going to stir up a hornets nest. Trump's vitriol against her was horrific, and she didn't deserve it. That said, I am sure Barron Trump gets the best health care in the world and if he has autism, a pediatrician has told his parents. And if they choose to keep it undisclosed from the public that is their business. Her sending those tweets out under the pretense of being "concerned" about Barron comes off to me as disingenuous. And even if she did it to raise awareness, she has no business doing so using another family's child. Interesting that she sent the tweets out before disclosing her own child's diagnosis. She's been through a lot this past year. But this was not her best moment.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

One out of 189 girls is diagnosed with ASD. My point still stands about the statistical unusualness of having two kids in one family, one with a disorder that strikes 1/189 of girls, and one that strikes 1/20 kids. YMMV, and lets leave it at that.

By the very nature of the profession she has chosen, Rosie craves attention. In fact by even posting the thing about Barron Trump, I am questioning her motivations. She knows the Trump supporters are goons who hate her and that this was going to stir up a hornets nest. Trump's vitriol against her was horrific, and she didn't deserve it. That said, I am sure Barron Trump gets the best health care in the world and if he has autism, a pediatrician has told his parents. And if they choose to keep it undisclosed from the public that is their business. Her sending those tweets out under the pretense of being "concerned" about Barron comes off to me as disingenuous. And even if she did it to raise awareness, she has no business doing so using another family's child. Interesting that she sent the tweets out before disclosing her own child's diagnosis. She's been through a lot this past year. But this was not her best moment.

ITA @Mumbles.  If the Trumps wanted this "out there", it would be.  Obviously, Trump isn't responding in his usual vociferous manner, so .....

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 2

Rosie just sucks for doing this.  The fact that it's a "re-tweet" is meaningless and I don't accept that as an excuse any more than when Donald Trump tried to rationalize what he was doing when he "re-tweeted" trash and wouldn't take responsibility for the content he was promoting.  I don't buy that for a second.

And I also don't care if Rosie actually, really, genuinely meant it as a sincere attempt to do something about people criticizing Barron. It's simply not her place.   Damn, I can't imagine how bothered I would be if my sworn enemy took it upon herself to "help" my child in the public way like Rosie has done here.  That wouldn't seem like "help," to me.  It would feel like someone was taking advantage of a sad, painful thing my kid was going through to make herself look good while subtly sticking it to me, with no regard for how her actions effected my child's well-being or feelings at all.  It's just so egregiously insensitive, I can't believe for one second believe that Rosie put this out there as a genuine act of compassion.  It's just a SHIT MOVE in my opinion.  My only question is did Rosie do it knowingly or is she so nuts she managed to delude herself into believing what she was doing was actually motivated by benevolence?  Because I seriously have started to think the woman is THAT out of touch with reality. 

It just appalls me that Rosie (herself a mother of several kids she claims have problems) would decide to publicize the health issues (and/or gossip) about any other family's young child, be they famous people or private citizens.  That's just not her right ... if ANY family want to keep a matter like this private, that is there prerogative.  And just because the Trumps are celebrities, it doesn't mean they owe it to the world to be the face of autism or to raise awareness or funds or lead the discussion or even to admit publicly their child has a problem.  You don't get to "out" kids like this in order to promote your personal agenda and you damn sure don't do it for spite.  Either way - whatever her motivation - it's just WRONG. 

I am sorry for the long rant, but I read about this right before the holiday and put aside responding because I had things to do and I guess it's just been building inside me.  I have always had mixed feelings about Rosie O'Donnell but I've tried to give her the benefit of most doubts.  But this just tears it for me.  I will always draw the worse possible conclusions about her from now on ... about the kind of mother she is, the kind of wife/partner, the kind of co-worker or boss she is, her mental state, and the kind of human being she is in general.  She has branded herself a cruel, spiteful, insensitive, mean-spirited asshole with this move.  And also quite a cowardly hypocrite as well, what with the hiding behind the "re-tweet" nonsense. I'm just completely done with her after this.  

I realize why no one in the media (or the Trump family) is responding to any of this.  I applaud their restraint.  But I hope that one day what Rosie did becomes more publicly known and she suffers appropriate repercussions.  She's an awful person and she has a lot of people fooled (imo/ymmv) and it's time she is shown for what she is ... a bitter, disingenuous, phony person who would hide behind the cause of autism to punish someone she dislikes by spreading gossip about his child.  It's just disgusting. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Mumbles said:

By the very nature of the profession she has chosen, Rosie craves attention.

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense. Many actors/celebrities do not crave attention--quite the opposite. Moreover, Rosie O'Donnell herself has avoided public attention throughout this election cycle when her name was being brought up by our president-elect (excuse me, there's a disgusting taste in my mouth), often not attending certain events so she wouldn't be accosted by reporters.

And I'm not even sure what kind of insinuation you're intending to make by being caught up on her children being a "statistical anomaly"..... Tbh, in regards to this story, I honestly don't care whether what she said was right or wrong, genuine or not, considering what the Trumps' leader-of-the-pack has been spewing towards millions of people for the past year and a half while they all stood alongside him. They all can go **** themselves. They don't give two shits about hurting other people's children and families, why in the world should I feel insulted on their behalf.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Tbh, in regards to this story, I honestly don't care whether what she said was right or wrong, genuine or not, considering what the Trumps' leader-of-the-pack has been spewing towards millions of people for the past year and a half while they all stood alongside him. They all can go **** themselves. They don't give two shits about hurting other people's children and families, why in the world should I feel insulted on their behalf.

I don't feel anything on Donald's behalf or Melania's, or Ivanka's or Tiffany's or Don Jr's or the other one's (can't be bothered to look up his name).  I agree with you, they can all go   ******   themselves.

But I do feel a little something for Barron, who is an innocent ten-year-old kid who has no choice but to stand alongside his father. Especially if he really does have an issue ... he doesn't deserve this.  He has a right to privacy and whether he has autism or not, he should never be exploited by someone wanting to have a go at his shit ass of a father.

• Love 12

As far as what is being suggested about the possible statistic anomaly about the number of Rosie's kids with psychological/emotional/learning disorders, I am not the OP but I believe what is being contemplated is that Rosie may suffer from Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome.

It's not the first time Munchausen has been mentioned in connection with Rosie's name.  She wrote in her book about how she used to smash her fingers with a little wooden baseball bat when she was a child.  There are different reasons a child might do something like that,  but one of them is Munchausen Syndrome.  I have absolutely no idea if M. Syndrome tends to develop into M. by Proxy later in life, though.  Maybe someone else out there knows more. 

• Love 2

One thing I know for sure, given Trump's penchant for holding a grudge, I wouldn't be buying any stock in Rosie's future!!  Just sayin'.

Also, I'm totally agreeing with Celia in that Barron is a 10-yr-old kid, period.   (I'm sure he can't wait to go back to school tomorrow!!)

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

But I do feel a little something for Barron, who is an innocent ten-year-old kid who has no choice but to stand alongside his father. Especially if he really does have an issue ... he doesn't deserve this.  He has a right to privacy and whether he has autism or not, he should never be exploited by someone wanting to have a go at his shit ass of a father.

Well, for 1.) You'd have to believe it was meant as an attack on his father, and 2.) You'd have to consider "autistic" an insult.

• Love 2

Trump is such a megalomaniac that he thinks his life is perfect; at least, that's the impression he tries to make. Someone wishing to push his buttons may think one way to do so is to suggest that it is not. It's one thing if it's about him (like Clinton correctly needling him about not disclosing his tax returns), it's another when it's about a kid who didn't choose to be born to him. 

And no, for this to hurt Barron, or those who love him, you don't need to think autism is an insult. Mean kids (or perhaps unbalanced adults) pick on others for being "different." (Absent or sick parents, funny names, different clothes, etc.) 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Well, for 1.) You'd have to believe it was meant as an attack on his father, and 2.) You'd have to consider "autistic" an insult.

No - you don't have to think it was an intentional attack on his father to find it offensive, necessarily.  I regularly find acts of appalling insensitivity just as offensive as intentional attempts to wound someone.  And publicly promoting gossip about the private mental or physical health issues of any child - especially the young child of the president-elect - is at best described as stunningly insensitive in my opinion.  

That being said, I admit I do suspect that this was an intentional, if somewhat passive-aggressive, attempt by her to bother Donald Trump.  I just believe that Rosie has more sense than to carelessly further gossip about a child this way.  I think she would flip if someone did something similar to one of her kids.  But she did it to her most public enemy on the heels of renewed discussion of all the insults he has directed at her, and I think the need to lash out got the best of her.  I realize other people's mileage may vary, but that is how I see it.

As far as considering the suggestion that someone is "autistic" to be an insult, far from it.  And I don't think Rosie really meant it as an insult, either.  What I think is that she meant to vex Donald Trump, maybe force him into publicly confronting an issue that he has been ignoring.  He knows those stories are out there, but he has turned a deaf ear to them.  He clearly doesn't want to address the matter openly.  I think Rosie meant to put it on everyone's radar under the guise of "concern" so that it would become part of Trump's narrative.  And I think that is just crummy - not because autism is shameful, but because whether it's true or not, her plan succeeded and it is now something everyone is talking about.  I know I had never heard about the rumor until Rosie chose to tweet about it.  And whether or not it's true, it has become part of Barron's story now without him having any say in the matter.  All just so Rosie can watch his parents squirm.  I just think it was an incredibly unfair thing to do to a ten-year-old boy who is completely innocent of any wrongdoing and never asked to be in the spotlight in any way. 

• Love 11

Why is it so hard to call out people on your side for being an asshole? The Rosie story took longer than expected to be talked about here. Even on the political boards, it's been barely a whisper. Just imagine for one minute. Jedidiah, or Bitsy! gasp! Sherri! ohh shit..  retweeting the same video, only featuring  Malia and/or Sasha. Don't make excuses for Rosie just because she is on your side. She is wrong.. Very very clearly here.  It's not always lock step.. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Mumbles said:

And no, for this to hurt Barron, or those who love him, you don't need to think autism is an insult. Mean kids (or perhaps unbalanced adults) pick on others for being "different." (Absent or sick parents, funny names, different clothes, etc.) 

Mean kids would pick on others because they see someone who is autistic as a freak and abnormal, in other words they would consider the word/idea an insult. For myself, I don't really see it as much different from wondering about someone's sexuality aloud. Only someone who considers it an insult would find it offensive. As you say, YMMV. 

10 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

All just so Rosie can watch his parents squirm.  

You can feel however you want to, I won't argue with it further because it doesn't alter my opinion at all, but this part is just an assumption. And so is the idea that she might have Munchausen Syndrome or that she is unbalanced. Which is funny to me considering it's not too different from the behavior being criticized outside of the target's age...

7 hours ago, abstractstuff said:

Why is it so hard to call out people on your side for being an asshole? The Rosie story took longer than expected to be talked about here. Even on the political boards, it's been barely a whisper. Just imagine for one minute. Jedidiah, or Bitsy! gasp! Sherri! ohh shit..  retweeting the same video, only featuring  Malia and/or Sasha. Don't make excuses for Rosie just because she is on your side. She is wrong.. Very very clearly here.  It's not always lock step.. 

I really have no problem calling out people who are "on [my] side," as you say. I've been ripping Whoopi Goldberg for several years now and most people consider her a liberal. I believe I’ve also criticized Sunny Hostin and Sara Haines, who both purport to be “on [my] side” anyway. And I absolutely can't stand Raven Symone. I just personally didn't find it offensive. But if it was me, I'd probably apologize anyway even if it wasn't intended as an insult.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And so is the idea that she might have Munchausen Syndrome or that she is unbalanced. Which is funny to me considering it's not too different from the behavior being criticized outside of the target's age..

Their disparity in their ages is not the only difference, nor is it even the most important one.

To me the biggest difference is that Rosie O'Donnell has made an informed choice to speak openly about herself, her past, and her personal issues for years. She has invited discussion of herself in this way.

Barron Trump didn't get to make the decision to put his personal issues out into the public sphere for discussion. Rosie O'Donnell made that decision for him.  She apparently feels her right to talk about her personal matters extends to talking about the personal matters of children she doesn't even know.  Whatever her motivation was for doing so, it was simply not her place to do that. 

• Love 9

Dakota's autism diagnosis is Rosie 4th child with a mental/medical disorder. She wrote about all the kid's issues on Ask Ro.

It is Dakota, not Blake, that has  sensory processing disorder in addition to high functioning autism.

Parker-attention deficit disorder

Chelsea -borderline personality disorder

Blake-auditory processing disorder. She talks about Blake here http://abcnews.go.com/WN/rosie-odonnell-opens-family-tv-talk-show/story?id=10486577

Ro has been through so much with her kids issues and access to the best experts and help that most people don't have.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 2

The discussion about Barron Trump is off topic. You can discuss Rosie's professional life and please stick with that. If you wish to discuss Trump, there is a thread for him in Current Events & Politics. As always, be civil. Thank you.

• Love 1

Sherri could just DONATE wigs.  but that's not what she's doing.  It's a buy ne, get one, feel-good sale.  Buy one wig at regular price, and one wig gets donated to the Am. Cancer society.   That is not the same as Sherri donating 10,000 wigs. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gesture - but it's a promotion.  Like the grocery store that says for every $100 you spend, they provide a dinner for a needy family.  Or the pet store who says for every purchase, a can of dog food goes to the animal shelter.  The aim is to get you to make a purchase.

• Love 7
On 11/28/2016 at 4:02 AM, abstractstuff said:

I think her time has come and gone and people just don't care anymore about what she says and does.  I have always liked her but in the past year or so I have seen her own crazy come out.......................

She should not have retweeted about Baron.  I personally think Baron and his mother may use this "distraction" to get the hell out of dodge.

I, as a leftist liberal, am enjoying Nicholle Wallace on MSNBC.  It is nice to see a Republican that can see the crazy and can articulate well in a conversation.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, jumper sage said:

as a leftist liberal, am enjoying Nicholle Wallace on MSNBC.  It is nice to see a Republican that can see the crazy and can articulate well in a conversation.

Agreed, she hasn't attempted to rationalize or normalize the events of the election.....yet. Here's hoping she remains that way.

Of course part of me will resent her for her role in normalizing ignorance back in 2008.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Of course part of me will resent her for her role in normalizing ignorance back in 2008.

Agreed but what is going on today is in no way even comparable.  I might even tip my hat if I walked past GWB.  I love how the Bush family has not capitulated after the election.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6

I stopped reading the article as soon as I saw the Marilyn Monroe quote. There was a great article from Elle magazine's website a few years ago about how the Internet is full of fake Marilyn Monroe quotes. Apparently there's a cottage industry of people coming up with stuff that sounds profound and inspiring and then attribute it to Marilyn Monroe. The quote Sherri uses was actually cited in the article as highly unlikely to be a Monroe quote. And, the article points out, the quote doesn't even make sense.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2016 at 7:40 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Just saw Jenny McCarthy on ABC's New Year's Eve show!!  Holy plastic face & lips!!!  She's a caricature of her former self ... Gawd!! 

Thing is, she was incredibly pretty. I recall seeing old episodes of her on Two and a Half Men and she looked really good. I don't know what it up with a lot of woment doing the fillers in the cheek and lip area. It looks BAD and so obvious. I caught an episode of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and all the women had the same look. It will be interesting to see the long term effect of a lot of the injections being done nowadays.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Stacee said:

It will be interesting to see the long term effect of a lot of the injections being done nowadays.

Yes, it reminds of the era when women were all getting silicone breast implants.  And then having them leak, burst, etc, causing severe complications. 

The facial fillers, botox, etc , to me, for actresses is weird.  If you make your living ACTING, you need to preserve your ability to show facial expressions.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, jumper sage said:

Eating tuna, from a bag?

I saw her fish in a bag commercial today. I guess it is being marketed as a super speedy lunch thing, with the premise of the ad being that poor Candice that had only two! minutes! to eat her lunch before she was do back on set.  So pre-seasoned tuna in a pouch to the rescue. Yum!

I just hope her next scene wasn't some kind of Hallmark "love scene."  Because if she barely had time to eat, I doubt she had time to brush her teeth.  

• Love 8