Type keyword(s) to search

Euphoria in The Media

• Start Topic

Bill Simmons raved about Euphoria on his latest podcast.

Says he likes the production value and while it makes him afraid as a parent of teens, he likes the performances.

Though I kind of suspect that he's a bit of an HBO shill.  I think he still is getting paid by them.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Just saw an interview with Leo DiCaprio and he said "that show is amazing" about Euphoria

I saw that as well. Since Leo is a fan, he should appear in the show. He can have a 3-episode arc where he plays a new teacher who Cassie and Maddy (among others) fall hard for, creating havoc for them, the school and angry guys like Nate and McKay. All heck would break loose.

• Love 1

I was reading a lengthy interview with Barbie Ferreira here which is worth looking at but when I got to this exchange at the end, I could barely contain myself:

What do you want to see in Season 2? What’s your wishlist?

My wishlist is for Fezco’s backstory. I wanna know! We all wanna know. FezHive.

Yes!  We all wanna know.  I knew there was something I liked about that girl.

• Love 2

Jacob Elordi for Calvin Klein:

1565715289840-FA19_CKU_AD_M_NEON_4_horz_

I'm not sure who their ad agency is now but they've been killing it lately with these new ads.

I kind of love the contrast between the traditional Calvin Klein ad on the left and the colorful, more Abercrombie 2003-like ad on the right.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 7/29/2019 at 12:17 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Just saw an interview with Leo DiCaprio and he said "that show is amazing" about Euphoria

And he's right, everything is amazing about Euphoria directing, acting, the plot and has the best soundtracks. 

• Love 2

Congratulations to Zendaya on her Emmy nomination.  After they missed with the HFPA I thought it wouldn't happen, but here we are.

The show got several other below-the-line nominations as well.

After the show won the craft categories for makeup and original song, I thought she might have a chance since the voters had clearly watched the show and it had a constituency, but the Emmys generally don't go for younger female performers (the complete opposite of the Oscars), so it still felt like a longshot to me.

Great haul for the show, 3 wins for 6 nominations.

• Love 1

Zendaya has been excellent in everything I have ever seen her in and she totally deserves her win.  Even when she was working on her Disney Channel shows she put in the work and she has been making excellent moves in her roles outside of her Disney stuff.  I think she well on her way to a long career.

• Love 3

The press release for the Jules episode:

The second of two special episodes of the Emmy® winning HBO drama series EUPHORIA will debut SUNDAY, JANUARY 24 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The episode will air on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.

The special episode directed by Sam Levinson, titled "F*ck Anyone Who's Not A Sea Blob,” follows Jules (played by Hunter Schafer) over the Christmas holiday as she reflects on the year. Schafer serves as co-executive producer on the second special episode, which she co-wrote with EUPHORIA creator Sam Levinson.

Sam Levinson on the specials, with some thoughts on the upcoming Jules episode co-written with Hunter (with whom he's also writing a movie):

https://www.gq.com/story/sam-levinson-euphoria-christmas-special-zendaya-interview

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Contemporary Television
Emily in Paris: "Faux Amis" – Patricia Field & Marilyn Fitoussi
Euphoria: "Part 1: Rue - Trouble Don’t Last Always" – Heidi Bivens
I May Destroy You: "Social Media is a Great Way to Connect" – Lynsey Moore
Schitt's Creek: "Happy Ending" – Debra Hanson
Unorthodox: "Part 2" – Justine Seymour

On 1/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hunter Schaefer on the Tonight Show:

Just love her.  So proud of her being from NC. She attended high school just a few blocks from my office.  To me, she makes this show.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Maybe Sam Levinson needs to hire someone else to manage his show or at least have a sounding board, because 4 women asked Euphoria to cut nude scenes that they found unnecessary, and I think all of those women were right. 

https://www.dazeddigital.com/film-tv/article/55488/1/four-euphoria-actresses-discomfort-nudity-sam-levinson-sydney-sweeney

I agree.  I love erotic material and have no issue with nudity and sex in films that portray adults, but this series seems to place too much emphasis on these teens being naked and engaged in sex acts.  It’s sort of disturbing.  I’d think they’d feel rather pervie about it.  But, I’m not interested enough to watch another season of this anyway.   I don’t see Rue the way the producers want me to see her.  And, I think Nate has run his course……maybe, I’ll catch Season 4, if they fix the problems with writing.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

But all these actresses must have signed nudity clauses?

I don't know their careers but have they done nudity elsewhere or have been getting a lot of roles otherwise?

Never seen Sweeney outside of this and White Lotus.

This season, they've depicted penises a lot more than female breasts, though the penises are prosthetics in many cases.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, aghst said:

I don't know their careers but have they done nudity elsewhere or have been getting a lot of roles otherwise?

This season, they've depicted penises a lot more than female breasts, though the penises are prosthetics in many cases.

They asked and I think at least with Sweeney, she would have done if he said it stays. My issue that I think that Sam Levinson (and really, a lot of movies & tv shows) just has nudity to have nudity because the show is on HBO, and not focusing on telling a good story. I think most actors, even those not opposed to being seen naked on screen, want it necessary to the plot. Minka Kelly was right; she didn't need to be naked in that scene. And Laurie is creepy enough without stripping Rue.  I remember when Thora Birch talked about her topless scene in American Beauty. While I believe it was her first one, she didn't have huge issues with it because for her it made total sense in the context of the scene. They avoid it with Zendaya without hurting the scenes, they can tone down other places. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

They asked and I think at least with Sweeney, she would have done if he said it stays. My issue that I think that Sam Levinson (and really, a lot of movies & tv shows) just has nudity to have nudity because the show is on HBO, and not focusing on telling a good story. I think most actors, even those not opposed to being seen naked on screen, want it necessary to the plot. Minka Kelly was right; she didn't need to be naked in that scene. Laurie is creepy enough.  I remember when Thora Birch talked about her topless scene in American Beauty. While I believe it was her first one, she didn't have huge issues with it because for her it made total sense in the context of the scene. They avoid it with Zendaya without hurting the scenes, they can tone down other places. 

I hate sex scenes.  Just giving a 5 second scene that shows they’re having sex is ok. Otherwise waste of time.  Plus they make these teens look like they have 20 years experience. Pros at 17.  Ridiculous 

I think they hurt the scene where everyone had to get naked except Rue.  Made no sense at all   

• Love 5
On 2/20/2022 at 3:07 PM, aghst said:

I watched Sweeney in the movie The Voyeurs.  She played almost the same character as Cassie.  She had many of the same mannerisms.  She played a devastated young woman who was taken advantage of by a handsome man that she was obsessed with.  She had several nude scenes.  

Ratings are huge, they're comparing it to Game of Thrones.

Way bigger than Succession, which got a lot of promotion and hype coming into season 3.

One theory was that this is like soft core or some sexy scenes appealing to Gen Z and Millenials.

But I think the HBO demographics tend to skew old, though maybe HBO Max subscribers are younger?

It's not one of the cheaper streaming subscriptions out there.

One way you know if a lot of younger viewers are watching is if people are streaming to their phones rather than watch on linear cable.

Hello:

I know the show will get even bigger as the word spreads. More will be binging all 16 episodes before season 3 on 2024.

Now, Sam Levinson, his name, backstory, rumors, controversy on the set, stories of schisms and rifts, and some analyzing inconsistencies of the show (see YouTube).

Some cracks are starting. Do you think Sam Levinson can deliver or will the show go down  later on like Game of Thrones or the Sopranos in their later seasons?

On 3/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, AWhittle said:

Now, Sam Levinson, his name, backstory, rumors, controversy on the set, stories of schisms and rifts, and some analyzing inconsistencies of the show (see YouTube).

Some cracks are starting. Do you think Sam Levinson can deliver or will the show go down  later on like Game of Thrones or the Sopranos in their later seasons?

I am off to read about this!

I do not think for one second he can pull off a GOT or Sopranos.  It is a cool show to look at, although sometimes the cluttered homes makes me feel claustrophobic and makes me want to clean my own house... but I don't feel any real substance in the story, which is weird because there should be a lot there.  It is all so cliché.

• Love 2

The big question for me is how they will handle the actual physical appearance of the primary cast members for the third season.  For the most part they were all 25 or younger when Season 2 wrapped in November 2021, with the exception of Alexa Demie who was 31 and Dominic Fike who was 26.  Season 3 won't be out until 2024. It's not just the physical maturing of the cast, but whatever Hollywood work they have done on themselves to look good (I have no problem with Hollywood work). I thought there was a noticeable difference between Season 1 and Season 2; they all lost their baby faces.

To be fair, half the cast of 90210 were in their 20s when they filmed the high school years (and Andrea was 47), but the self care products and procedures trending today are a lot different from what young people were using in the 90s. 

On 8/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, RedDelicious said:

The big question for me is how they will handle the actual physical appearance of the primary cast members for the third season.  For the most part they were all 25 or younger when Season 2 wrapped in November 2021, with the exception of Alexa Demie who was 31 and Dominic Fike who was 26.  Season 3 won't be out until 2024. It's not just the physical maturing of the cast, but whatever Hollywood work they have done on themselves to look good (I have no problem with Hollywood work). I thought there was a noticeable difference between Season 1 and Season 2; they all lost their baby faces.

To be fair, half the cast of 90210 were in their 20s when they filmed the high school years (and Andrea was 47), but the self care products and procedures trending today are a lot different from what young people were using in the 90s. 

I don't think the physical changes will be that jarring. Even with procedures, it will only be 3yrs. Most people (who are post pubescent and have not gained/lost vast amounts of weight) don't change looks THAT much in 2-3yrs. 

Also, Gabrielle Carteris was 29 when she started 90210, not 47! (she was born in 1961)

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don't think the physical changes will be that jarring. Even with procedures, it will only be 3yrs. Most people (who are post pubescent and have not gained/lost vast amounts of weight) don't change looks THAT much in 2-3yrs. 

Also, Gabrielle Carteris was 29 when she started 90210, not 47! (she was born in 1961)

I know - I was being sarcastic. On the Again With This 90210 podcast they make jokes about Gabrielle Carteris being in her forties on the show by comparison to the rest of the cast. At the beginning of the show they were supposed to be 16-years old.

I agree, natural looks don't change that much in 2-3 years, but they're in Hollywood and what I was trying to say is I think all the work that people have done to look younger actually makes them look older and unnatural. The younger you start the worse it gets.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I know - I was being sarcastic. On the Again With This 90210 podcast they make jokes about Gabrielle Carteris being in her forties on the show by comparison to the rest of the cast. At the beginning of the show they were supposed to be 16-years old.

I agree, natural looks don't change that much in 2-3 years, but they're in Hollywood and what I was trying to say is I think all the work that people have done to look younger actually makes them look older and unnatural. The younger you start the worse it gets.

Oh okay 😀.

(bolding mine)- yup I agree!