Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/14/2021 at 12:47 AM, LittleIggy said:

Between the mother’s accent and the obnoxious spawn, that episode was barely watchable. The grandmother was the sole voice of wisdom.

I was cheering G'ma on. The girls were showing off for TV and are going run roughshod over mom in the coming years... especially the older one. 

Also, what is this disdain folks seem to have for homes with only one bathroom? Who are all these "strangers" they fear sharing the bathroom with? How many "strangers" do they expect to be using it?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, chessiegal said:

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone who has Discovery+ is seeing new HH that are not on the cable service.

I subscribed because I love HGTV and the Food Network. I'm still exploring the service, but so far, the only show I've seen not offered on cable is the Magnolia Network... which is all Joanna and Chip Gaines all the time. House Hunters is only streamed Live (no rewind/pause/fast forward).... so you can't watch old episodes.  It's only  $5/month... but seriously considering dropping it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, 40Love said:

House Hunters is only streamed Live (no rewind/pause/fast forward).... so you can't watch old episodes.  It's only  $5/month... but seriously considering dropping it. 

Thanks so much for this valuable info!! 

My NO 1 pet peeve and irritation with cable services is shoving their commercial laden episodes on various shows down the viewer's throat on feeds that prohibit typical DVR functions like REW and FF!  I stopped watching many On Demand shows for that reason.  For the sizable cost I incur each month for cable it is infuriating that I'm unable to watch ANY and EVERY show as I would most enjoy it. 

That Discovery + is a streaming service immediately disqualifies it from anything I might consider because I'm sure what you describe is a harbinger of things to come.

The massive marketing and sales push Discovery is funding for Discovery + is very misleading and basically a "bait and switch" scheme from what you're describing.  Thanks so much for highlighting your experiencing so others can decide if this is a service they're interested in purchasing.

• Love 3

I am having no luck finding an online resource that lists all of the programming on D+.  I would like to know which shows  are available only through their streaming service, versus what will continue to be available on their cable channels?
I wasn't even tempted, until I watched the first episode of the reboot of Design Star. I would really like to watch this series,  But it looks to me like the rest of the episodes  will only be available on D+.

• Useful 1

In the Jonesboro episode, that house had the master bath, and upstairs (I think upstairs, but maybe not), there was only one guest bath, and that would have to be shared by the two sisters, and guests, since the guest room was there too.     The younger sister said she didn't want to share a bathroom with her sister, and the older one said she didn't want to share 'her' bathroom with strangers.  

3 hours ago, 40Love said:

Also, what is this disdain folks seem to have for homes with only one bathroom? Who are all these "strangers" they fear sharing the bathroom with? How many "strangers" do they expect to be using it?

How do they use public restrooms? Do the girls hold it all day at school? Mom at work? Hover and pee all over the floor?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Glad to read that I'm not the only one disgusted with moving some of my favorite shows to Discovery+. Comcast offers the Peacock streaming channel at no additional charge and I watched a couple shows on it. It was very frustrating to be right in the middle of a show and have the screen suddenly start dithering. I understand that has something to do with cable wifi speed. My Samsung smart TV isn't the newest model and I've even had trouble signing up for apps like Hulu to watch ACCN for college football. Again, the dithering in the middle of a game. Very frustrating. I imagine Discovery+ would encounter similar problems.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's been delayed twice that I know of, reportedly because of Covid-related production issues (originally in Oct. 2020, then in January). I'm now reading that the date is Jan. 2022 with all the Fixer Upper shows, original programming and DIY faves. Meanwhile, D+ will be milking it for all it's worth.

Luckily, HH eps continue on HGTV and OWN (which I watch, the HH eps, that is). 

Meanwhile, remember the Chicago episode where the couple who wanted a condo in River North that had to have a dry cleaner downstairs was shown that particular building, plus two West Loop red herrings that had no dry cleaners--and weren't in River North? 😂 Update: The dry cleaner moved out. 

ETA: Yes, i'm nearby;-)

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

This is not specific to one episode since it is a "request/complaint" that appears in many episodes - the need for a dedicated guest room.

How normal is this? Granted, I grew up in metropolitan areas where space was at a premium but even relatives who lived in the suburbs didn't typically have a room that was completely reserved for guests and not used for anything else. 

At best they had a den with a sleeper sofa that was used to house guests. Or children were moved out of their bedrooms temporarily and their rooms were used for guests. Only when children moved out of the home, was there a spare bedroom because one of the kid's bedrooms was no longer used for a child.

And having lived in large cities, I knew no one who was wealthy enough to get an apartment or even a home in one of the boroughs that had a dedicated guest room. A sleeper sofa in the living room was considered to be gracious hosting. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 8

Colleagues just moved from a cool city neighborhood to a non-adjacent suburb (new construction, photos look fabulous). With two tiny ones, and some performance background, they'd make a great city/suburb story on HH. But they're also respectful, loving, no-drama people and I couldn't imagine them taking producer notes to argue or belittle or fight over an office vs. guest room for my parents. 

Think back to the days when the holy trinity (ss appliances, granite countertops and iirc, hardwood floors) made or broke every house hunt. Because white/black ovens didn't work? Quartz wasn't popular yet? Lumber liquidators was a sponsor? Ha, Lowe's and Home Depot for sure! So now we need more bedrooms, er, dedicated guest rooms, workout rooms, outdoor kitchens? Sure, Jan.

Voyeurism. It's a drug😂

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, amarante said:

This is not specific to one episode since it is a "request/complaint" that appears in many episodes - the need for a dedicated guest room.

How normal is this?

I'd have to look up statistics to see how common it is nationwide, but I'd say about half the people I know have a dedicated guest room.  But, at least half of those who do are people with children grown and out of the house - what is now the guest room was for many years a kid's bedroom.

I did not grow up with a guest room; my parents have a three-bedroom house and the third was used as an office, but also had a sofa bed.  When family came to visit, they got my room and I slept on the sofa bed.  Same with when my grandpa needed to stay with us for a month to recuperate from bypass surgery.  Now my old room is a guest room (in which my mom slept for years while my dad's snoring was out of this world).

And I've never had a dedicated guest room, I've just always stuck a twin bed in my home office.  It is made to look more like a couch, and then if someone who shouldn't be driving home wants to crash here for a night, they can take that stuff off and sleep in it (not stay in my office for a week's visit; that's what hotels are for).  I wouldn't even turn a third bedroom into a guest room if I had one.  Maybe if I regularly had people staying with me, but, because I don't, I wouldn't have a room sit unused 95% of the time.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, amarante said:

Only when children moved out of the home, was there a spare bedroom because one of the kid's bedrooms was no longer used for a child.

Beware the boomerang child! When my daughter went off to college, I sold our three-bedroom house and moved with my son into a two bedroom townhouse. It had a little open loft area where we put a futon and TV.   Four years later, daughter moved back home.  She took the second bedroom, my teen son moved into the loft.
Fortunately, he didn't have many clothes, they all fit in the linen closet! Fortunately, he didn't care about privacy (and I was grateful that his computer was in that open room so he couldn't get up to any shenanigans). Fortunately, he didn't mind when my daughter and I sat on the futon chattering and and watching TV while he was gaming. He heard, if not saw, a lot of HGTV shows. Had favorite contestants on Project Runway.  Learned a little something about selecting wedding dresses.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Ft Lauderdale. Did this guy just complain about hearing tennis balls and people grunting from the club across the street at #1? And #2, that was some state of the art chicken coop. #3 he's ok with 4 legged neighbors being close? They can pour a lot of money into it and still be under budget.

• Love 2

What is her problem with steps?  She's young.  She said she trips sometimes.  ::::insert eye roll::::

You could tell that he's very controlling.  At least he got his wish to talk with the seller.

For the first time ever the backyard surprise is not a pool.

He kept talking about Sarah enjoying stuff.  I thought they had a daughter.  Nope....Sarah is a dog.

I figured her wanting the beach was producer driven.  

• Love 4

East Mesa, AZ: Something about Sheera provoked a strong dislike in me. Bland (or b-l-a-n if you watched Four Weddings), no chin, bad hair, bad glasses, no imagination on how to make houses reflect her own “taste.” I liked him telling her to stop looking at the finishes and focus on the space. And they could totally move two kids into the same room and use one of the non-master bedrooms until the kids are old enough to not need them overnight. And that kid sitting on the counter with bare feet no less? Just kill me.

• Love 3
(edited)

I couldn't stand the Ft. Lauderdale couple.   Her voice was so irritating, and their wish list was so opposite.   I hope they're happy with the house they picked after the rains started.    If they put in a pool, and it's a little built up, the flooding will get worse, and if it's ground level, then rain water will pour into it.     They can blame the flooding on a neighbor's property drainage, but it can rain massive amounts in Florida, so dumping a little dirt won't help anything, and if it causes floods in surrounding yards, they won't like what happens next.    The big flooded yard looked like it was a lot lower than the rest of the property, so putting in a pool won't help that, and may make it worse, depending on where they move the dirt from the pool to.    In Florida, I wouldn't have a pool without one of the huge screen room bird cages, so their new pool is probably going to cost a lot more than they think it will. 

One of the reason I always use a realtor is that way I only see the other party at closing.   If some fool wanted to talk to me, I would wonder if they were going to try to wheedle the price down, because I can't think of another reason why they would want to talk to me.    My disclosure form says everything, so I don't want to put up with some whiner.    

I found it bizarre that they both wanted to rip out a brand new kitchen in the one house, because it's not our style-so shop until you find something that is.   You can't tell me there weren't more than three options in that area that were in their huge budget.     I wonder if that area is zoned for a boarding business?   And boarding isn't a profitable business for amateurs, and there is no way something with the brains the good Lord gave a chicken would board with amateurs in a suburb.   Where can anyone ride there?    I bet their $20k to fill in the yard was for French drains, a pump to get it to the street, and a pipeline to the street.   Plus, extra dirt, and grading, and it still won't handle a big tropical storm rainfall.    Plus you know that the wife will want a very big, pricey pool, and probably an outdoor kitchen and entertaining space.  

On My Lottery Dream Home, they had actual horse properties, with a real stable that didn't look like it wouldn't hold an adult horse, and those houses were cheaper than the one they bought.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hope they're happy with the house they picked after the rains started. 

The standing water in the after scenes was significant.  I don't think it will be the easy fix they said it was going to be.  The mosquitos will be unbearable in that yard.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

She did say that the water was from their neighbors' houses draining into their yard.  I didn't understand how she said they were going to fix it...something about taking dirt from the renovation and piling it on.  I'm not sure how that's going to help.  Did any of you guys understand this?

16 hours ago, NYGirl said:

He kept talking about Sarah enjoying stuff.  I thought they had a daughter.  Nope....Sarah is a dog.

Lol! I was worried about their daughter playing near the fence so close to the Everglades and alligators being able to climb fences. I was relieved when they chose a different house... and then realized Sarah was a furbaby. Hehe!

1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

She did say that the water was from their neighbors' houses draining into their yard.  I didn't understand how she said they were going to fix it...something about taking dirt from the renovation and piling it on.  I'm not sure how that's going to help.  Did any of you guys understand this?

Nope...not a clue.  Plus why would just piling up dirt cost up to $20k? 

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't understand the choice of Fort Lauderdale.

If you have been warned about standing water, take that as a warning. I wouldn't even bother to look at the property let alone actually purchase it.

I am a horse person but WTF are these people going to do with that ratty ass stable. They have never owned a horse so they wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to care for a horse. I can't imagine there being a significant number of people who wanted to board in a broken down stable with people with no horse background.

Also, horses are smelly and bring flies and other unpleasant creatures. Being bitten by a horsefly is no joke. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 4

Tonight's house hunters just north of San Francisco. Finally, someone said it. That white kitchen is "glaring white." I always think that when they show those white kitchens you can see  from the living area. If the lights are on the kitchen will intrude on your line of vision constantly!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, 40Love said:

Lol! I was worried about their daughter playing near the fence so close to the Everglades and alligators being able to climb fences. I was relieved when they chose a different house... and then realized Sarah was a furbaby. Hehe!

The funny thing is that the way people chose names for their offspring these days,  if they were talking about Fluffy or Fido it would have turned out to be a human baby.

• LOL 2

Caught an episode last night (no idea when it originally ran).  Chicago, she wanted a high rise with all the bells and whistles, he wanted a single family home.  What struck me was that the husband reminded me so much of Tom Hanks, both physically and his voice.  They surprised me by actually picking the house that was a compromise.

49 minutes ago, camom said:

Caught an episode last night (no idea when it originally ran).  Chicago, she wanted a high rise with all the bells and whistles, he wanted a single family home.  What struck me was that the husband reminded me so much of Tom Hanks, both physically and his voice.  They surprised me by actually picking the house that was a compromise.

It was a rerun. As soon as she complained about a 6th floor outside stairs walk up, I remembered the episode and that they picked that place. I can't imagine walking up 6 flights in Chicago in the winter.

• Love 2

As soon as she complained about a 6th floor outside stairs walk up,

I thought it was just 3 floors, but still, that would have been a deal breaker for me.  Aside from the stair issue, the house was a good compromise for two people who wanted totally different things.

15 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

The funny thing is that the way people chose names for their offspring these days,  if they were talking about Fluffy or Fido it would have turned out to be a human baby.

Almost all the pets that belong to people I know have human names. I can only think of one exception. 

Had the SF Bay area wife heard of an exterminator? I am not minimizing the rodent issue - I've dealt with it - but, like, you can pay people to kill pests. If they can afford $750K, they can afford an exterminator. Also, just because a property doesn't have rodents when you buy it doesn't mean it never will.

I really don't like the gray floors trend. 2/3 of the houses had gray floors. It feels so cold. The bathtub in the first house was indeed too small (I take baths sometimes). OK for bathing kids, but not adults. I found it odd that the bathtub had so much space around it. The house they bought is all white and gray.

14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Bay Area: Yeah, lady, rats and possums just love crossing busy six-lane streets. 🙄 I hope several people died in the house they bought! 

I kept thinking that the wife would run screaming from my late grandparents' house - they both died in that home, peacefully, and their house was over 85 years old. I think the previous owner died in it too.

• Love 1
(edited)

South Padre Island is definitely a repackaged Beachfront Bargain Hunt. It was produced by Magilla that produces BFBH. Pie Town produces HH. Left/Right Production produces Island Life. Between the agent not going in the properties and them showing 4 properties, pretty easy give away.

ETA: Found it. Beachfront Bargain Hunt Season 11, episode 10 "Me and my Madre in South Padre Island, Texas".

Original air date: August 7, 2016,

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 5
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

South Padre Island, TX. Mom is flaunting it all in a bikini. Not sure that's the right choice.

I thought she looked great. They were definitely into being on TV (there was no reason for them to be doing yoga), but I think the mom has a great body.

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

South Padre Island is definitely a repackaged Beachfront Bargain Hunt.

I could tell. Whenever the real estate agent doesn't go in, I know it's not House Hunters. I prefer when the buyer(s) interact with the agents - there's good banter and sometimes the agents are characters themselves.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2021 at 10:53 PM, LittleIggy said:

Bay Area: Yeah, lady, rats and possums just love crossing busy six-lane streets. 🙄 I hope several people died in the house they bought! 

She's as cute as a button... but a little on the wacky side with her obsession over rodents and dead people. The previous elderly owner of my house died in it. At night when the floorboards creak, I joke that the old homeowner is having his evening walk. I politely ask him to sit down somewhere so I can get some sleep. 😄

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

South Padre Island, TX. Mom is flaunting it all in a bikini. Not sure that's the right choice. So where will the daughter be living if she rents it out?

She was about to graduate, the house was being paid for with the funds that had been saved for her education, unused because she had a full scholarship. I presume she would live there if she found work in the area, and it would be rented if she had to relocate. Or it was a story to get the daughter on TV.

• Love 4

So this Saturday's OWN marathon of HH is people that you're glad don't live anywhere near where you live.     

Minneapolis couple, he demands a huge, maintenance free deck, and wants entertaining space, but doesn't want a basement.    The first house has a massive deck, but he complains the walk out basement is too dark.   That happens when the huge deck is over the sliding glass door and the huge basement windows.  

• Love 1

The Padre Island episode was a bit confusing as I didn't know whether she was buying as her primary home or as a rental unit that she would vacation in.

I can't imagine renting out my primary home to short term renters. I would think that people who own second homes that they rent don't furnish them in the same way one would for one's own real home. And the hassle of having to deal with personal property. Anything of value - or really just anything would have to be locked up.

But I would have major creepies knowing that other people were in my actual home. If I owned a vacation home that I was renting out when I wasn't using it I wouldn't have any kinds of personal or financial stuff there as I would be treating it as a business type of property.

• Love 2
(edited)

The people I know who do seasonal rentals (Snow Birds for the winter) have big locking cabinets in the garage, and lock up their clothes, and personal items to keep them safe.    For the houses that are short term rentals, they are handled by a property management company, and don't have the owners personal items there, because if they even go for the limited time that they owner can occupy it, they take their clothes, and food, just as if they were a tenant. 

I'm guessing the Padre Island one was a full time rental through a management company.     If that's the real situation, then being on HH or any of the other house hunting shows is great publicity. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 3/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I couldn't stand the Ft. Lauderdale couple.   Her voice was so irritating, and their wish list was so opposite.   I hope they're happy with the house they picked after the rains started.    If they put in a pool, and it's a little built up, the flooding will get worse, and if it's ground level, then rain water will pour into it.     They can blame the flooding on a neighbor's property drainage, but it can rain massive amounts in Florida, so dumping a little dirt won't help anything, and if it causes floods in surrounding yards, they won't like what happens next.    The big flooded yard looked like it was a lot lower than the rest of the property, so putting in a pool won't help that, and may make it worse, depending on where they move the dirt from the pool to.    In Florida, I wouldn't have a pool without one of the huge screen room bird cages, so their new pool is probably going to cost a lot more than they think it will. 

One of the reason I always use a realtor is that way I only see the other party at closing.   If some fool wanted to talk to me, I would wonder if they were going to try to wheedle the price down, because I can't think of another reason why they would want to talk to me.    My disclosure form says everything, so I don't want to put up with some whiner.    

I found it bizarre that they both wanted to rip out a brand new kitchen in the one house, because it's not our style-so shop until you find something that is.   You can't tell me there weren't more than three options in that area that were in their huge budget.     I wonder if that area is zoned for a boarding business?   And boarding isn't a profitable business for amateurs, and there is no way something with the brains the good Lord gave a chicken would board with amateurs in a suburb.   Where can anyone ride there?    I bet their $20k to fill in the yard was for French drains, a pump to get it to the street, and a pipeline to the street.   Plus, extra dirt, and grading, and it still won't handle a big tropical storm rainfall.    Plus you know that the wife will want a very big, pricey pool, and probably an outdoor kitchen and entertaining space.  

On My Lottery Dream Home, they had actual horse properties, with a real stable that didn't look like it wouldn't hold an adult horse, and those houses were cheaper than the one they bought.     

This couple's decision to go with this dated dump was one of the worst I've seen on this HH. The issue of the flooding in their backyard is huge...that is going to be problematic for years. And their "fix" for it will be a gigantic undertaking for a yard that size. They will have bulldozers and dirt everywhere. The problem in Florida with flooding in a particular spot on your land is the real potential for a sink hole to develop. No way will they be able to put a pool there. And let's talk about the horse barn and their plan to get a horse and/or board horses. They know ZIP about horses, their maintenance, the horse veterinary bills (HUGE!) or the general day to day needs of taking care of them. This was appalling to me as a former horse rider and having grown up in Bluegrass country in Kentucky. This isn't like owning a dog or cat...it's expensive and time consuming. Cleaning a barn daily is time consuming, getting the horses brushed and cleaning their hoofs is time consuming, feeding them is costly and exercising them daily is not only essential but again, time consuming. And these two nudniks know nothing about horses.

Also, let's talk about the "gut" job they are doing on that money pit...that will take months and months to complete and will definitely go over the agreed upon budget. This entire renovation and yard/flooding repair will be time consuming and costly...all in all a dumb decision and if they do move into it will be a year or more before they can. Maybe they will flip it...who knows.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yes, the Ft Lauderdale couple were almost as delusional as the realtor who told them they could board horses.    You have to store hay and supplements, dispose of manure, fly control, and someone has to clean the stalls and paddock.     Also, that barn looked very rickety, and wasn't very tall either.     I wonder what the rules are in that area about running a boarding business?    They won't make a profit either.    Where do people ride?    If they trailer out for lessons, trail riding, or shows, where do they load and unload the horses?    I wonder what the laws are about diverting rain water onto the neighboring property?   Everywhere I've lived, you have to divert water into the storm sewers, or built a containment area on your property, and if you send water from your property, onto your neighbor's property, you are in big trouble with the city authorities, and the neighbors. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, the Ft Lauderdale couple were almost as delusional as the realtor who told them they could board horses.    You have to store hay and supplements, dispose of manure, fly control.    Also, that barn looked very rickety, and wasn't very tall either.     I wonder what the rules are in that area about running a boarding business?    They won't make a profit either.    Where do people ride?    If they trailer out for lessons, trail riding, or shows, where do they load and unload the horses?    I wonder what the laws are about diverting rain water onto the neighboring property?   Everywhere I've lived, you have to divert water into the storm sewers, or built a containment area on your property, and if you send water from your property, onto your neighbor's property, you are in big trouble with the city authorities, and the neighbors. 

Yeah...that barn looked like it was ready to collapse. It's hard to believe so many of these people on HH want to buy a house just like the one they grew up in...like this guy...he wanted a house with a barn like the one he had as a little kid. Hello??? You're a grown man now not a little toddler. Barns, animals, water issues, all of it sounds like a hot mess.

• Love 3

I'm going to make a prediction about tonight's "new" HH episode, Season 183 Ep 12 about "tired of busy Atlanta, young couple decided to make Amelia Island home." I found a Season 9 Ep 11 of Island Life where a young couple leaves busy Atlanta life for Amelia Island. I'm guessing we're getting a repackaged Island Life. 

• Love 2

Bingo! The Island Life episode says they work in hotel sales, he wants a fixer upper, she wants new. Guess you have to give kudos to HGTV for repackaging another show during the pandemic. I don't think Island Life aired that much on HGTV.

• Love 1

Amelia Island. You have a mini dachshund, not a Great Dane. You don't need a big yard. So surprised they didn't choose close to the beach. Why is it whenever a kitchen looks like mine, people say they need to gut it?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Why is it whenever a kitchen looks like mine, people say they need to gut it?

Because HGTV has brainwashed them into believing you can't live unless your kitchen is a certain way: open concept, white/grey/maaaybe blue if you're totally wild, shaker cabinets with one of three pulls.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’m getting my cabinets painted white & adding a white backsplash because HGTV has shamed to do so. I’m selling my place so I’m thinking it would look a little more up to date if I did. When I saw the “gut job” I screamed, “There’s my kitchen!”. LOL!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1