Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, Hedgehog2022 said:

slow down mom...you'll get your screaming grandbabies in a few years.

Or maybe you won't.  It's his life.

14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

but how do you have company with that shared driveway? Where do your guests park?

I've noticed the same sort of "shared driveway" in new construction in cities, although in those cases, it's usually townhouses that are all smooshed together and not houses spread apart like in this episode, but it's the same issue.  Maybe they can park on the street at the entrance to the driveway?

I've wondered about this for houses that are on streets that are all traffic lanes with no parking.  You can get a couple of cars in the driveway, but once that's full, where does a visitor park?  Maybe they just deal with having to park around the corner on a side street?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojito said:

Those are the first homes to go. And way too frequently, they are purchased by an investor who will turn it into a rental. So the answer is, only the very lucky are able to purchase starter homes in the current market.

The Washington Post recently had a feature article about companies buying up homes and turning them into rentals. The article focused on the Charlotte, NC market.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Or maybe you won't.  It's his life.

I've noticed the same sort of "shared driveway" in new construction in cities, although in those cases, it's usually townhouses that are all smooshed together and not houses spread apart like in this episode, but it's the same issue.  Maybe they can park on the street at the entrance to the driveway?

I've wondered about this for houses that are on streets that are all traffic lanes with no parking.  You can get a couple of cars in the driveway, but once that's full, where does a visitor park?  Maybe they just deal with having to park around the corner on a side street?

It really depends on the neighborhood and zoning laws.

In my area - Los Angeles/West Hollywood - parking is a HUGE issue especially in terms of multi-family new developments. This is because zoning requires a certain number of parking spots for each unit and developers want to save money by putting in fewer number of parking spots.

They will come up with ridiculous justifications as to why the tenants or condo owners don't need parking spaces. My favorite is swapping out parking spots for cars for "parking spots" for bicycles. As if people renting $5000 per month apartments are going to bike to their jobs in far off locations - public transportation in Los Angeles is pretty terrible unless you are in certain limited areas - e.g. if BOTH your home and your work location are by a subway station AND you go straight home every night. And even then you are going to own a car which needs a parking spot.

I think some people don't think about guests when they are purchasing a home. I rented a few places in the Hollywood Hills where there was very limited parking for guests. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

The Washington Post recently had a feature article about companies buying up homes and turning them into rentals. The article focused on the Charlotte, NC market.

That practice has TAKEN OVER the first-home buyer's market in Phoenix! 

I have several friends who told me they have investors/property management companies knocking at their doors almost daily offering them premium $$$$ to buy their "starter homes" to turn them into rentals.

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Also, knowing that there was no en suite bath, I knew that was a deal breaker for them. I just don't understand how first time home buyers expect to have it all. Does no one buy starter homes anymore?

I think the economics of home buying have changed so much that I am not sure what constitutes a "starter home" especially in expensive areas. 

The only starter homes I have seen on this show seem to be in the boonies AND in low cost areas to start with. Often they really do have very downscale finishes and not much square footage so even though there might be three bedrooms, they are small bedrooms. And the builders seem to *cram* some stuff in - i.e. there will be two sinks in the master bathroom but the size of the vanity means that the sinks are next to each other meaning that they are dysfunctional since there is little counter space; storage space AND you will be butting elbows if you are in there with anyone else.

I grew up in Brooklyn and my modest childhood home sells for in excess of $1 million dollars. Even adjusted for inflation my parents bought it for the equivalent of $160,000 2022 dollars. They were both able to afford it on relatively modest school teacher salaries but would have been priced out of the market if they tried to buy the same house today.

Of course by modest I mean the kitchen was original to 1920 when it was built and there was one bathroom although we had a finished basement with a very simple bathroom there. And by finished it was no walk out basement like some are - it was your classic fugly basement with wood paneled walls; asphalt tile floors; dropped acoustic tile ceiling and an assortment of support poles truncating the space. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Thought that the mother/mother-in-law of the Virginia couple was a little demanding (wanted a garage, pool, own bathroom and to have a say where she was going to be located in their house).  Don't think she was kicking in any money on the home buying either.  

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, cameron said:

Don't think she was kicking in any money on the home buying either.  

I found myself wondering about the finances for this house. You never know, though. The MIL might have agreed to pay electric/water/gas/food bills for the place. She might pay rent. She might've dropped chunks of money into accounts for the kids. 

She said that the kids would really enjoy a pool, though I assumed that she wanted one. 

The wife sort of irritated me. "My soaking tub." "My pool." I guess when people emphasize "my" they sound more selfish and demanding.

Grandma chose to live in the house. I would've thought that compared to the PA-VA distance, being across the driveway would be close enough. To each her own. 

In the beginning, she mentioned that it was nice to come home to a meal and a clean home. While I really understand that sentiment, how would I have felt if a man had said that?

Edited by mojito
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Actually, colonials were built in the 1970s -- there was two models in our sub-division, which was built in the early 1970s.  I lived in one.   

What always boggles my mind are the buyers who want a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget.  How many buyers with $200k budgets "can't live" in a house without granite countertops, hardwood floors, fully updated white kitchen, gas range with cooktop, spa bath, walk-in closets, 3-car garage, etc.?  

My first townhouse had:  shared walls on 3 sides (common back wall), laminate floors, laminate kitchen counter-tops, builder-grade carpet, electric range.  No hardwood floors, no spa tub, no garage, no fireplace.  I actually lived through it.  In fact, I was THRILLED that I was able to buy a home of my own.  Yeah, it wasn't spectacular, but it was MINE.  And, of course, I didn't live there forever.

I keep wanting to shout at the TV that these folks either need to find more money or need to manage their expectations.  Then . . . I realize it's a TV show and this is probably what they're told to say!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, dogdays2 said:

What always boggles my mind are the buyers who want a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget.  How many buyers with $200k budgets "can't live" in a house without granite countertops, hardwood floors, fully updated white kitchen, gas range with cooktop, spa bath, walk-in closets, 3-car garage, etc.?

I know I've posted this before, but it's been awhile, and "can't live" made it pop in my head again:

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

OMG, I love Kathleen.  And every word is true.  People that just "can't live with/without" or look at a perfectly serviceable abode and declare everything is a gut job just make me stabby. Entitled twits, most of them.

We old fogies grew up without "place spaces", media rooms, and walk in closets in houses with actual walls and one bathroom for the whole family.  Most of us grew up to be productive members of society.  Shocker.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, dogdays2 said:

Actually, colonials were built in the 1970s -- there was two models in our sub-division, which was built in the early 1970s.  I lived in one.   

I agree but I think accurately colonials have been built since the original colonists came over in the 17th and 18th centuries. 

At certain times it has been a more popular style and it is more popular in certain regions. There are even variants as Southern Colonial styles are different than New England Colonial - not just the authentic but even the modern interpretations. And in California one of the most coveted styles is Spanish Colonial - some of these are old but a lot of them were built by wealthy people in the 1920's and have gorgeous tile and Art Deco touches.

There is a great show that I watched called Restored which has a guy who is "restores" older California homes lovingly and the range in style - Spanish Colonial, Mission, Storybook; MCM, Craftsman - it's a great show if you can catch it since he knows his stuff and he produces functional kitchens and bathrooms (for example) which are modern but don't insult the aesthete of the original style. Of course it is a bit of a fantasy since the costs don't reflect what a normal person would wind up spending for a comparable renovation but it is great to watch if you respect older homes in different styles. And the homeowners are generally actually respectful of the original architecture as many of them specifically wanted a home in that style and/or had gone past the home for several years and lusted after it or one similar so there is no moaning about closets and open concept although the homeowners obviously want to make the home as functional as possible while respecting the bones.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

OMG, I love Kathleen.  And every word is true.  People that just "can't live with/without" or look at a perfectly serviceable abode and declare everything is a gut job just make me stabby. Entitled twits, most of them.

The worst is when they want to put "their stamp" on something and that stamp looks like every flip and new build around. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

Tonight's new one, two men HH in Atlanta, with one budget of $800k, the other $1 million. 

So, they're looking at a town house with a shared drive.   I swear this is the same complex with a couple looking for a house last year.      The realtor is trying so hard to make both men happy.    They want a spectacular place for their anniversary gala.   Wonder where the visitors will park?   The traffic noise from the rooftop deck is awful.  

A couple that I'm sure will reach a compromise, and be very happy with the house they pick.     It's nice to see house hunters consider the other person's opinion, and act like adults.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, cameron said:

Thought that the mother/mother-in-law of the Virginia couple was a little demanding (wanted a garage, pool, own bathroom and to have a say where she was going to be located in their house).  Don't think she was kicking in any money on the home buying either.  

I wondered about that, too. I bet the husband will get tired of having his MIL around 24/7. Her daughter made it sound as if she was incapable of living by herself. 🙄
Atlanta: I loved the place they picked.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Atlanta, GA. I want to go to their party.

Grizzly, I gotta say, in my mind I was putting together the outfit I would choose to wear for the party based on whichever home they chose.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 4/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, mojito said:

I found myself wondering about the finances for this house. You never know, though. The MIL might have agreed to pay electric/water/gas/food bills for the place. She might pay rent. She might've dropped chunks of money into accounts for the kids. 

She said that the kids would really enjoy a pool, though I assumed that she wanted one. 

The wife sort of irritated me. "My soaking tub." "My pool." I guess when people emphasize "my" they sound more selfish and demanding.

Grandma chose to live in the house. I would've thought that compared to the PA-VA distance, being across the driveway would be close enough. To each her own. 

In the beginning, she mentioned that it was nice to come home to a meal and a clean home. While I really understand that sentiment, how would I have felt if a man had said that?

The wife seemed somewhat of a diva..."her" needs as opposed to those needs of her husband and kids. I had to laugh when she kept prattling on about wanting a "mid century modern" house. I live in Virginia and know that area well...there are no mid century modern homes there. Did she think she was looking for a home in Palm Sprngs, California??? That's why the realtor didn't take them to see one...there aren't any in that area of Virginia. I wonder if she really know what a mid century is.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I grew up in Northern Virginia, and I saw a handful of Mid-Century Modern homes, but they were small homes, nothing like the giant house the house hunters wanted.    I'm wondering if the MIL moving from Pennsylvania thinks that it's a lot warmer in Virginia, and the pool would be used a lot more than it will be.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I grew up in Northern Virginia, and I saw a handful of Mid-Century Modern homes, but they were small homes, nothing like the giant house the house hunters wanted.    I'm wondering if the MIL moving from Pennsylvania thinks that it's a lot warmer in Virginia, and the pool would be used a lot more than it will be.  

They live near the Chesapeake…mostly colonials and brick ranch styles there or beach houses.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

Oy, those eyebrows. Even on the daughter.

I get that all the women in their friend group probably have the same eyebrows, but holy cow...

I first saw that style in the British press. I think that's where it originated. Usually seen in the Daily Mail on the birds laying on the sidewalks after a big night out.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Toms River, NJ. The eye makeup, just no. And the realtor's whole face is made up to be a weird color. Since they're in Jersey, the voices can't be helped. I'm happy Gaby is trying to be cost conscious, very responsible. Shut up Diana, no one cares if you like it. The ranch was cute, updated and well-priced. Did like that main bath in house #3, the stone floor in the shower looked great. Ugh, maxed her budget. What the heck with the son's hair?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 4/7/2022 at 12:32 PM, Cetacean said:

We old fogies grew up without "place spaces", media rooms, and walk in closets in houses with actual walls and one bathroom for the whole family.  Most of us grew up to be productive members of society.  Shocker.

Not only that, but there was no such thing as a laundry room. The washer was usually in the kitchen (or basement), and the dryer was an outside clothesline. Or if you were lucky enough to have radiator covers, you could put a few items on them to dry, especially in winter when no matter how long you left the clothes on the line, instead of drying, they wound up "frozen" stiff. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Toms River, NJ. The eye makeup, just no. And the realtor's whole face is made up to be a weird color. Since they're in Jersey, the voices can't be helped. I'm happy Gaby is trying to be cost conscious, very responsible. Shut up Diana, no one cares if you like it. The ranch was cute, updated and well-priced. Did like that main bath in house #3, the stone floor in the shower looked great. Ugh, maxed her budget. What the heck with the son's hair?

I thought that he was a overweight girl.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The friend who was suppose to be a real estate agent?  Wonder if she is even licensed.  Hopefully will be there to bail her out if she ever got into financial difficulties.  Pushing her to go overboard in spending is bad.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 9

Toms River

When the two women were looking at the one-story home, I got a little confused because I wasn't sure which one was the agent because the agent was criticizing the house. She was actually pointing out negatives. I did not feel that she was looking out for the best interest of her client. I guess she understood how easily her client could be "peer pressured".

Really an unpleasant episode to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Toms River, NJ: it made me so angry watching this realtor pressure her "friend" into a larger more expensive home.  She's a state employee, single mom of two kids. All of the homes shown fit their needs.

Spending $495k vs. $325k was just stupid. People like that realtor are the reason we'll see yet another housing market crash with people upside down on their mortgages and her out of a job,  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, cameron said:

The friend who was suppose to be a real estate agent?  Wonder if she is even licensed.

She is indeed a licensed real estate agent. Since they gave her first and last name on a chyron, that's easy enough to check.

I appreciate an agent that points out negatives. That's part of their job.

The house hunter is a state employee. That should be a stable job. She'll be fine.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

She is indeed a licensed real estate agent. Since they gave her first and last name on a chyron, that's easy enough to check.

I appreciate an agent that points out negatives. That's part of their job.

The house hunter is a state employee. That should be a stable job. She'll be fine.

I actually replayed it back twice and never saw the agent's name.  Thanks.  Will go back and try again.  Usually see it up front; my recorder stops before the final credits are done.

Can never understand why the buyers let the realtors pick out the houses that are to be shown.  Have moved at least 12 times to different states and I'm always the one who tells the realtor what I want to be shown.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, cameron said:

Can never understand why the buyers let the realtors pick out the houses that are to be shown.  Have moved at least 12 times to different states and I'm always the one who tells the realtor what I want to be shown.

Ah, but you are lucky enough not to live in HGTV-land. Where prices don't matter, bathrooms must be the size of a sports hall and anything that isn't white/grey is old and ugly. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, cameron said:

I thought that he was a overweight girl.

He needs to get off his posterior and do things besides playing video games. Don’t they say not to set up the computer in the kid’s room?

• Like 1
  • Love 9

The participants, aren't really house hunters, they already bought.   The other two houses are decoys, often short term rentals.   

I still enjoy seeing the houses, and guessing which one they bought. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, MsTree said:

Not only that, but there was no such thing as a laundry room.

Almost 40 years as a homeowner and I still don't have a laundry room.  Our washer and dryer are in an open space in the basement, against an exterior wall.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I’m so happy for this family with the big house in Temecula.  I almost started crying with them when they described how hard they’d been working and waiting to save enough money for a house!

• Love 5

I'm stunned.   Tonight's new couple live with two daughters in a 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo.  They're moving to Temecula, want a 4 bed, 3 bath, a lawn, daughters want a pool.   They were living paycheck-to-paycheck, so they buy a French Bulldog puppy, that's at least a month's rent or mortgage, that breed puppy starts at $3500.    I think I see how Steve and Renee like to spend every penny.  His budget $650, hers is $750k

First house is in Murietta, which is cheaper than Temecula, house is $725k, on the golf course, and they're talking putting in a pool, and getting a pool table.    4 bedroom.  3 car garage. Main bedroom, and bath are nice.   

Second house.  $635k 4 bedroom, 3 car garage. in Murietta. Small kitchen.   Big sun room, it will be an oven in the summer, and they're planning the pool again.   Main bath has regular tub.   It's a bit of a fixer upper.

Third house, $739k  with a pool already installed and a spa. 6 bed, 2 car garage, in South Temecula.  The sixth bedroom is a casita.   This one has a pool table already, if this isn't the house, I'll be shocked.  Huge kitchen, needs a new sink, and counter tops.    It has plantation shutters upstairs on the bedrooms.  The wife is whining because there will be two left over bedrooms.  

They bought the third house, with the pool.    Hope they never leave that French Bulldog in the back yard, they don't float too well.    The list price was $739k, they had to pay $755k.  So, they went way over their budget, and still want to replace the counter tops, sink, and back splash in the kitchen.   

Second new episode, two ICU nurses house hunting in Lititz,  Pennsylvania.  His budget $375k,  her budget $300k . Wife is a doomsday person, there will be lots of whining in this episode.  I love their two tuxedo cats.  She's actually saying she wants a two story, with her bedroom in the back, so burglars won't get to them (no, not making that up).

First house - Lancaster, $399,990, 4 bedroom, main bedroom is nice sized, but the bathroom is small.  basement is a bar, and I mean all of the basement. 

Second house -New Holland,  $299,900 , 5 bedroom,  They want to knock down a wall, and have a huge primary bedroom.  

Third-Lititz, $265, 3 bedrooms, 3 bath, bi-level needs some fixes.   The yard is huge, no fence though.   Carpet is hideous.  

They buy #3, and got it for list price. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She's actually saying she wants a two story, with her bedroom in the back, so burglars won't get to them (no, not making that up).

Ugh, they did that stupid storyline at least once before.  I hardly ever watch this anymore (but enjoying keeping up with the discussion of those who do), but even with my limited exposure I remember another HH with the same reasoning, causing me to wonder if she - or, more accurately, the producers who came up with this shit - thought second stories just hovered in the air, rather than being set atop first floors.

• LOL 3

4 people in a 1bedroom condo, yikes! The Irvine couple talked about how they lived paycheck to paycheck for years until they managed to secure their current jobs. They then proceed to spend the entire amount they were approved for, hope they don't end up back living paycheck to paycheck again...

Edited by NoodlePony
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, NoodlePony said:

4 people in a 1bedroom condo, yikes! The Irvine couple talked about how they lived paycheck to paycheck for years until they managed to secure their current jobs. They then proceed to spend the entire amount they were approved for, hope they don't end up back living paycheck to paycheck again...

Yes! We were missing something with that story I think. Must have gotten huge raises or were simply steadily socking away $$ those 20 years.

That being said, 6 bedrooms with 2 girls leaving the house in just a few years? That's lots of space. 

Liked their enthusiasm for all the space in all 3 houses. Seemed like a nice family.

• Love 3

Lititz,  PA ICU nurses. She was quirky. Knew they'd end up in his preferred area. OMG, how much oversized sweaters did she own? I was fascinated- she wore them with dresses and pants and what looked like an apron.  Wanted to see her closet.

Edited by BAForever
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, NoodlePony said:

Think they went over their head in buying that house.  If one ever loses their job; they will likely be in deep trouble.  Wonder what they were doing before they got those jobs a couple of years ago.  Maybe he was grooming his mustache.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, BAForever said:

Yes! We were missing something with that story I think. Must have gotten huge raises or were simply steadily socking away $$ those 20 years.

That being said, 6 bedrooms with 2 girls leaving the house in just a few years? That's lots of space. 

Liked their enthusiasm for all the space in all 3 houses. Seemed like a nice family.

They said when they moved into that apartment 20 years it was rent with the option to buy.  Think they might have owned that apartment by now which could have been used as a down payment for new house.  Otherwise, not sure how they could have even come up with the 20% down payment.

• Useful 5

I am curious as to how much the monthly utilities will be on the large Temecula house will be, and how much the home owners insurance will be, especially with the pool.  A lot more than what they were paying in an apartment I'm sure.

• Love 3