Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, cinsays said:

so, the daughter will start contributing once she finds a job........yup... maybe not... not sure what katy sue studied in college, but we'll see

Along those lines @cinsays, as she was putting something about “flying” on her graduation cap, I said to my husband that nobody should be allowed to talk about “flying” after college graduation if plans are to stay in their mother’s basement for the foreseeable future…

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
7 hours ago, cinsays said:

i am not a dog person, so parading support pup mr darcy thru the houses, especially after walking thru some rain to get there, would annoy me if one of those was the house i owned

5 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

In cases where support dogs are not for the blind, or physically disabled, I'd imagine they are needed for anxiety or perhaps PTSD.

She said it was a service dog, not a support dog.  Unlike "support animals," service dogs are allowed in almost any public place their owner is allowed, and are therefore narrowly defined:  they must be trained to perform a task directly related to a person’s disability.

I know not all disabilities are visible, but I'm doubtful that Mr. Darcy actually qualifies as a service dog, vest-purchased-on-the-internet notwithstanding.  Plus, a service dog has to be under the control of its handler at all times, and we saw the daughter leading Mr. Darcy around some of the time.  I think somebody's playing fast and loose with the term "service dog."

But this got me to wondering if a house for sale being shown to prospective buyers (or in this case people who have no intention whatsoever of buying two of the three houses they're traipsing around in) falls under the ADA.  I don't think so, given the list of businesses included in the ADA, which means that not only don't they have to build a ramp if a person in a wheelchair wants to look at the house, they don't have to let even real service dogs in, either.  Of course it would be a dick move and probably counterproductive to prohibit a blind person with a seeing-eye dog or a person with an epilepsy dog from touring your house for sale, but I'm guessing it's not actually required under the ADA.

Fun fact:  Religious institutions are specifically exempted from the ADA, so they don't have to build wheelchair ramps and they don't have to let in seeing-eye dogs.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
9 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think somebody's playing fast and loose with the term "service dog."

It wouldn't be surprising, given how often I hear support animals incorrectly referred to as either service animals or therapy animals instead.

• Like 6
(edited)

I hate that house hunters are taking animals in homes they are just touring for a TV show.     I've seen so many on the show who drag some untrained animal to romp through a house they will never own.   

I have a friend who is from a family where they are all allergic to dogs and cats. One is so allergic that touring a condo where there had been cats (the realtor lied to him about being pet free) caused a major breathing issue.  

I'm watching the OWN marathon this afternoon, including one in Atlanta from 2013.   The HHer loves darker cabinets, hates white kitchens, loved brown tiles in the ensuite.   It's hysterical. 

The ones who are a couple, but buy a 5 or 6 bedroom home are buying for resale.   A huge main suite, and office each, maybe a craft room, and a guest room, and you've used 5 bedrooms.   Some subdivisions, to get the grand home so many demand, they only have 4 bedrooms and up.  I lived in the Northern Virginia area for years, and unless you bought a condo, or a small starter home, you had at least three bedrooms, but in the new McMansion subdivisions, 4 or more bedrooms, or unfinished space to put in more bedrooms was pretty standard. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think somebody's playing fast and loose with the term "service dog."

I believe you are correct.  And it has gotten out of hand which makes it more difficult for those who have, and need, true service animals.

There was a huge uproar when two of the twits on Sister Wives suddenly and simultaneosly developed "mental illness" requiring them to travel with emotional support dogs.  And conincidentally it was at Christmas when they were flying home to visit their parents.  The shit hit the fan on that one, even their supporters were chastising them.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Fun fact:  Religious institutions are specifically exempted from the ADA, so they don't have to build wheelchair ramps and they don't have to let in seeing-eye dogs.

Historic building fall under this as well. I am a docent at a lighthouse which has stairs all over the place.  People ask about access but we are exempt under the law.

• Like 3

Emotional support animals are much more limited in terms of where you can take them versus a service dog.

An emotional support animal can be barred from most public spaces - i.e. restaurants, stores. The chief right at this point is regarding housing - I think the airlines have tightened up regarding emotional support animals on flights.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I am a dog person, but I was confused as to why she needed to bring her support dog along. In cases where support dogs are not for the blind, or physically disabled, I'd imagine they are needed for anxiety or perhaps PTSD. I can't imagine why the buyer would need her dog when house hunting. 

I also get annoyed when house hunters lie down in bathtubs! How rude!

Maybe an epilepsy dog?  They are trained to warn their owner if an episode is coming on so the owner can get to a safe place like a chair. I found it interesting this year at the AKC dog show, one handler was showing and handling her own dog, and it was a trained epilepsy dog, and the owner had epilepsy.  I've seen an epilepsy detecting dog at the theater once.  It sat under the seat in front of the lady.  I would not like to find out that this is someone who makes up training credentials just because she wants to take her dog places.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Another tiny house episode with a part time dad and his two teens.  The kids were quite pleasant which was refreshing.  I always wonder how long that lifestyle actually lasts.  Dad said he wanted to be able to travel once the kids went to college but those things are not trailers; while they are on wheels they are really not meant to be pulled behind a vehicle and parked in campgrounds.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Another tiny house episode with a part time dad and his two teens.  The kids were quite pleasant which was refreshing.  I always wonder how long that lifestyle actually lasts.  Dad said he wanted to be able to travel once the kids went to college but those things are not trailers; while they are on wheels they are really not meant to be pulled behind a vehicle and parked in campgrounds.

Those kids seemed very nice.  I had the impression that the dad wanted to relocate his house by a lake when the kids were off at school.  I didn't think he wanted to travel with it.  But I'm sure some tiny house owners think that.

• Like 1

I watched the woman and daughter and 'service dog' episode today.  Before I watched it I thought it might be an epilepsy dog and everything would be fine but about ten minutes in I had an entirely different reaction to the entire household.

I don't like the woman at all. There is something about her that hits me in the gut that she is selfish and manipulative. She is the focus, all attention on her. I mean, on the surface she seems so nice. She's buying a home for her parents to live with her and her daughter too. Isn't she selfless and kind?  But that just seemed like the facade we were supposed to believe. There is just something wrong about her and I know that if I met her I would distance myself from her.

Also, the daughter. That just seemed strange all the way around. It is perfectly normal for a college graduate to return home to the parent's home while attempting to make a launch into work life etc. Nowadays it is so expensive to start out. I get that. But she wasn't doing that. She was buying the house with her mom. Who does that? She is just starting out in life and first thing is tying herself to her mom. Which by the way she emulates. She wears clothes that age her by at least a decade or two and her hair is a duplicate of her mom's. That's weird. What happens if she finds someone for a relationship or a job that is out of the area? She bought a house with her mom in Georgia. Like, she is tied to a house in Georgia. And mom is perfectly happy about that. Just strange.

If the house is very important to work out for the parents, why were they not part of the buying phase? Shouldn't they have had some input? They both talked about having stairs that kept the older parents from intruding into their levels - one upstairs, one basement. That was weird. Grandma can't use stairs so she is conveniently out of reach of them. We'll just go up or down the stairs and grandma won't be able to follow.

Finally, Mr Darcy (dog) acted depressed the entire episode. I think her 'support dog' needs a support animal of his own. It was super strange when she was out on that deck and simply said 'I would like to see a different house' (paraphrased) and the dog got up and immediately tried to get her attention and she told the dog it was okay, she was okay. That was a strange exchange between them. The slightest change in mood and the dog is all 'what's wrong!'.  The fact that the dog was constantly petted and handled by the daughter and the realtor was inappropriate. And the daughter had the leash part of the time. All this supports the view that this was not a trained service animal but mom's untrained emotional support dog.

I just got the strong feeling that mom is pulling parents and daughter into her orbit for her own needs and ends and has been doing it her whole life. I realize that's a lot for an episode of house hunters but the longer I watched the episode the more gut feeling I had about these people. I wish we had an opportunity to see them a decade or two in the future. A Grey Gardens situation developing?  Someone winds up buried in the backyard?  I don't know. 🙂

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

It wouldn't be surprising, given how often I hear support animals incorrectly referred to as either service animals or therapy animals instead.

She literally was dragging the poor dog up the steps and in other scenes, as oppose to the dog being the lead.  Looked a little suspicious to me.  Think it went along with getting air time for her book writing business.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Nowadays it is so expensive to start out. I get that. But she wasn't doing that. She was buying the house with her mom.

Was she?  I must have missed that part.  What was she using for funds?  I understood that mom was buying the place for them all to live together but she would be the actual owner.

2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Was she?  I must have missed that part.  What was she using for funds?  I understood that mom was buying the place for them all to live together but she would be the actual owner.

I agree as I didn't think the daughter was literally buying a house with the mother but just that the plan was for her to live in the place after graduation and so they wanted her to have a separate living area as opposed to a bedroom next to her mother.

I would imagine the daughter would be paying some amount of rent once she started working and so I thought that they were both looking at the daughter's living area as being more than just a room but a place that would enable her to live somewhat independently for at least a few years.

• Like 1

just watched the one with the couple moving from nyc to the atlanta area, but a rural part so they use some government loan

nice couple and they picked a nice house

so, the wife's big thing was having a big space for her "products" because she's a coupon clipper.   so. just curious, how does that work? she buys a hundred of some item she has coupons for for a penny and then resells for a big proofit to friends or ?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I watched the woman and daughter and 'service dog' episode today.  Before I watched it I thought it might be an epilepsy dog and everything would be fine but about ten minutes in I had an entirely different reaction to the entire household.

I don't like the woman at all. There is something about her that hits me in the gut that she is selfish and manipulative. She is the focus, all attention on her. I mean, on the surface she seems so nice. She's buying a home for her parents to live with her and her daughter too. Isn't she selfless and kind?  But that just seemed like the facade we were supposed to believe. There is just something wrong about her and I know that if I met her I would distance myself from her.

Also, the daughter. That just seemed strange all the way around. It is perfectly normal for a college graduate to return home to the parent's home while attempting to make a launch into work life etc. Nowadays it is so expensive to start out. I get that. But she wasn't doing that. She was buying the house with her mom. Who does that? She is just starting out in life and first thing is tying herself to her mom. Which by the way she emulates. She wears clothes that age her by at least a decade or two and her hair is a duplicate of her mom's. That's weird. What happens if she finds someone for a relationship or a job that is out of the area? She bought a house with her mom in Georgia. Like, she is tied to a house in Georgia. And mom is perfectly happy about that. Just strange.

If the house is very important to work out for the parents, why were they not part of the buying phase? Shouldn't they have had some input? They both talked about having stairs that kept the older parents from intruding into their levels - one upstairs, one basement. That was weird. Grandma can't use stairs so she is conveniently out of reach of them. We'll just go up or down the stairs and grandma won't be able to follow.

Finally, Mr Darcy (dog) acted depressed the entire episode. I think her 'support dog' needs a support animal of his own. It was super strange when she was out on that deck and simply said 'I would like to see a different house' (paraphrased) and the dog got up and immediately tried to get her attention and she told the dog it was okay, she was okay. That was a strange exchange between them. The slightest change in mood and the dog is all 'what's wrong!'.  The fact that the dog was constantly petted and handled by the daughter and the realtor was inappropriate. And the daughter had the leash part of the time. All this supports the view that this was not a trained service animal but mom's untrained emotional support dog.

I just got the strong feeling that mom is pulling parents and daughter into her orbit for her own needs and ends and has been doing it her whole life. I realize that's a lot for an episode of house hunters but the longer I watched the episode the more gut feeling I had about these people. I wish we had an opportunity to see them a decade or two in the future. A Grey Gardens situation developing?  Someone winds up buried in the backyard?  I don't know. 🙂

I  usually fast-forward through the BS in the beginning after I find out what kind of nonsensical jobs can afford $1 million house but anyway. Did they say why she needed this therapy dog? When I first saw the dog going into the house I said, how freaking rude bringing a dog into someone else’s home. And yes, it did seem like the dog did not want to be there. Also, if three generations are to be living in the house, why are the grandparents not putting in a penny? I don’t know about living together  like that in one place.  I certainly would not do it.

• Like 3

“Rules” for figuring out which house they’ll choose on domestic (not international) HH.

1. New build
  2. Foreclosure / short sale, if an option
  3. House she wants 
  4. House with no / little furniture
  5. Most expensive 

And yes, I know they’ve chosen before the show is filmed. 😀

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, amarante said:

In the beginning mom said that the daughter would have a say in which house worked best for her since she was going to be an owner as well as her mother.  I don't know what funds daughter had to contribute to the down payment (inherited money perhaps) or maybe none but she did promise to start paying toward the mortgage once she got a job. That is what I found so odd. That's what struck me so odd (among other things): unless mom needed some money from daughter to actually buy the house or continue paying for it then what is the point of having the daughter be a co owner? And now the daughter is tied not just to the house but to any liability that comes along the road relating to the house. She's just so young to be tied up that way. Again, if the other stuff I mentioned didn't exist/happen I would just walk on by this but it adds to the strangeness of the whole picture.

• Like 1

I discovered something about myself watching HH.  I really dislike men who have specific likes regarding decorating the kitchen (counters/cupboards). Unless they mention the guy is the cook/loves to cook I want him to shut up about it. That doesn't make me right, it just struck me as something I didn't know I had a bias about and now I do. The rest of the house I am fine with opinions, but non cooking men who whine about dark cabinets or color of granite etc annoy me.  lol  Who knew?

Women who completely ignore that their tall husband literally doesn't fit into the house irritate me also. I know they are seeing one of three designated houses and are kinda required to not dismiss one out of hand but your guy is seven feel tall in a house with six foot ceilings. Move on. lol

• Like 12

just watched the one with the couple in williamsburg, va, wanting to move closer to her job and him, a really tall guy, wanting a unique house 

i was sure they were going to pick the house they could have turned into a bed and breakfast, but i was wrong

was amused by the outfit aunt dara, their realtor, had on when we first met her.... was wondering what acting job as a french maid she was trying out for... i think the cameraman found it amusing too since they showed a lot of shots of her

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
32 minutes ago, cinsays said:

just watched the one with the couple in williamsburg, va, wanting to move closer to her job and him, a really tall guy, wanting a unique house 

i was sure they were going to pick the house they could have turned into a bed and breakfast, but i was wrong

was amused by the outfit aunt dara, their realtor, had on when we first met her.... was wondering what acting job as a french maid she was trying out for... i think the cameraman found it amusing too since they showed a lot of shots of her

Thought she looked like a "hooker" in that getup.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, cameron said:

Thought she looked like a "hooker" in that getup.

yeah, that was my real thought too

glad she toned it down a bit in the rest of the show

• Like 4
(edited)

I missed that the realtor was her aunt!  That first outfit  — I was wondering why a realtor would wear such a tacky-looking outfit with her clients.

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

just watched the one with the couple in williamsburg, va,…

Agree they intentionally showed a lot of shots of her. It was extra weird since she was standing by the table where the HHs were sitting, even though there was a third chair and bagel/coffee that were clearly hers. Why not just have her sit with them unless production intended to showcase the unique outfit?

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Thumper said:

I missed that the realtor was her aunt!  That first outfit  — I was wondering why a realtor would wear such a tacky-looking outfit with her clients.

Why would she wear such a Tacky outfit period?  And the hair! And does no one know how to dress for their figure anymore? they just throw any whole thing on?

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Why would she wear such a Tacky outfit period?  And the hair! And does no one know how to dress for their figure anymore? they just throw any whole thing on?

It's her 15 minutes of fame. And clearly it works since everyone is talking about it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
53 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Since the era of "size acceptance" emerged (with overweight being re-branded as "CURVY,") I sense that regardless of a woman's weight and/or appearance she sees herself as "attractive" in whatever she picks out to wear irrespective of how unflattering others might find her outfit on her particular figure.

In other words, ANY "JUDGMENTAL OR CRITICAL" opinions (whether voiced by words or facial expression😊) places the speaker into a hateful category that NO ONE would want to be placed into.  'NUF SAID!

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Since the era of "size acceptance" emerged (with overweight being re-branded as "CURVY,") I sense that regardless of a woman's weight and/or appearance she sees herself as "attractive" in whatever she picks out to wear irrespective of how unflattering others might find her outfit on her particular figure.

In other words, ANY "JUDGMENTAL OR CRITICAL" opinions (whether voiced by words or facial expression😊) places the speaker into a hateful category that NO ONE would want to be placed into.  'NUF SAID!

Really hate that definition of curvy, curvy is one thing obese is another. I believe in size acceptance, 100%. But I don’t believe that just because someone thinks that they look great as they are we have to be subjected to the trashy clothing in public . I should say there is a way to flatter every figure and this woman was the complete opposite.

• Like 1

Aw, I saw the aunt episode last night and from what you guys were saying I was expecting Lizzo levels of clothing (love Lizzo but her clothing choices make me sigh). But she was okay. She looked like the fun aunt!  And her nephew clearly adored her. I'm not sure where she was going with the first outfit but the rest of the show she dressed normal for the place. And she never tried to talk the young'uns into anything like most relatives on this show seem to do. I liked her.

• Like 4
(edited)

I agree.  Mr. Minimalist who loves to keep a count of his possessions was certainly different.    He certainly loved that former guitar shop with the parking lot.    I wonder if girlfriend/wife starts buying items, and gets over 100, if he'll start complaining about the house being too crowded?  

I figured out once we saw some renos going on that they were buying the third place.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

I wanted to see the collection of land snails that the wife said she had.  They also wanted to get cats - more than one evidently.  I guess snails and cats are ok with Mr. Minimalist.  I can't even remember the houses they looked at, or even the one they bought.  

The 2nd episode with the laid back husband and indecisive OTT wife was more interesting to me because of the location.  The rural areas of New York state are very pretty.  I knew that they would buy the house that was being renovated, because they were probably the ones who had bought it pre-renovations.  That's a big house, and the utility bill is going to be high in the winter I would imagine.  Glad he was aware that he has noisy toys and hobbies, and doesn't want to disturb the neighbors, but 2.5 acres isn't much if you are trying to avoid noise nuisance.  I laughed at the end when he was trying to get her to make a decision on floor tile, and he said he would just leave all the choices there on the floor and she could decide on them later.      

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree.  Mr. Minimalist who loves to keep a count of his possessions was certainly different.    He certainly loved that former guitar ship with the parking lot.    I wonder if girlfriend/wife starts buying items, and gets over 100, if he'll start complaining about the house being too crowded?  

they both seemed to be overdoing the look-how-quirky-i-am vibe to me.  she raises snails?  yeah, she would.

if not for the long drive to her work, i think the barn house would fit the gal's personality. 

that little blue square blob of a house plopped right there seemed very out of place to me - i agree with her that it needed to be air-lifted to the woods (if not just detonated...)  wonder what the neighbors think of having that monstrosity there and wonder what kind of people actually end up living there.

so, the one they picked had the large air return in the middle of the living room, so that precludes putting a rug in that room to cozy it up.  why would they have done that? bad enough having the rest of them along the edges of rooms, but right in the middle?

i would love to see what the house they picked looked like once they settled in.

does the guy have a blog so we can keep up with his possession count?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Worchester, MA: Quirky doesn't even cut it.  They were weird. Countng possessions, continually referring to herself as a "townie".  What does that even mean?  That she likes to live in town?  The new cat names were over the top as well. Glad they found each other.

Orange County, NY: I wish they'd have showed the city names, I was curious where exactly they were looking. They chose the right place for them, with the extra acreage and huge outbuilding, and it was obvious choice since they'd already started the remodeling. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, cinsays said:

they both seemed to be overdoing the look-how-quirky-i-am vibe to me.  she raises snails?  yeah, she would.

if not for the long drive to her work, i think the barn house would fit the gal's personality. 

that little blue square blob of a house plopped right there seemed very out of place to me - i agree with her that it needed to be air-lifted to the woods (if not just detonated...)  wonder what the neighbors think of having that monstrosity there and wonder what kind of people actually end up living there.

so, the one they picked had the large air return in the middle of the living room, so that precludes putting a rug in that room to cozy it up.  why would they have done that? bad enough having the rest of them along the edges of rooms, but right in the middle?

i would love to see what the house they picked looked like once they settled in.

does the guy have a blog so we can keep up with his possession count?

I actually grew up in a house that had the same thing; only it was where the coal furnace put out hot air, not for an air return.

8 hours ago, laredhead said:

he would just leave all the choices there on the floor and she could decide on them later.      

LOL! How many times will someone trip over those tiles before she decides?

• Like 5
12 hours ago, snarts said:

Orange County, NY: I wish they'd have showed the city names, I was curious where exactly they were looking

YES! As a downstate New Yorker, I’m very interested knowing where exactly they were looking in Orange County. I’ve noticed that they tend to do this a lot in the Hudson Valley region, as well as Westchester and Rockland counties. Not so much in other areas of the state.

• Like 3

Silicon Valley.   So, whining about what the kid's father puts in his house?   Fine move out, and put glitter paint everywhere.   Daughter wants two story, window seat, but 13-year-olds don't pay the mortgage. 

First house, Eichler, not bad, small yard easy to maintain. smaller bedrooms. 

Second house 4 bedroom, with a koi pond. $899k,  Why does someone who talks about microwaving everything, worry about the galley kitchen size?   Koi pond, left to the 13-year-old to take care of?  Bad idea.  The wall decorated with wall trim, looks like every remodel I've seen for the past few years. 

Third house Livermore, CA, fixer for $875k, ranch  3 bed 2 bath. smaller kitchen than the second house, but they don't complain about the size. It backs on a street, but that means no back neighbors, and no back fence joint ownership issues. 

She buys #2

Memphis.   I wouldn't live in the city, just a burb.  I like the house hunter, saying the open loft for the third bedroom in the town house is hysterical, because she says the guests would leave quickly.   

First house Townhouse, with HOAs and rules.  3 bedrooms, but one is an open sided loft. 

Second, fixer single family. close to downtown Memphis, $250k, neighborhood is "up and coming", a big hell no for me. 1599 sq ft, bungalow, street looks OK, but when the realtor says neighboring streets need work scares me.  Since house is barely finished with reno, I'm wondering if this is her house? Original fireplace is ornamental only. 

Third house, Bartlett, $200k, 30 minutes from work. All brick houses, 3 bed 2 bath, 1199 sq ft, gas fireplace, smaller rooms, but 1199 sq ft means that.  

She bought the townhouse #1.   $205k plus HOA fees. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

YES! As a downstate New Yorker, I’m very interested knowing where exactly they were looking in Orange County. I’ve noticed that they tend to do this a lot in the Hudson Valley region, as well as Westchester and Rockland counties. Not so much in other areas of the state.

I don't think they even mentioned Orange County until the third house.

And yet another completely obvious choice - as soon as I saw that the second home was in the process of being renovated, I knew that was the one. In real life I would imagine almost no homes are literally abandoned in mid renovation.

Maybe I was feeling petulant but I am coming to despise HH who want a home that isn't "cookie cutter" and is "quirky". There are very few architectural masterpieces that any of these HH are looking at in terms of exterior. 

And then to claim that the interior which consists of wood floors and walls is "boring" and "sterile" is beyond ridiculous. That is why god created furniture; artwork; tchotchkes; rugs, paint and other elements which *normal* people use to decorate their homes - personalize them - make them "warmer" etc. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

The disconnect on this show for me as a life long middle class Los Angeleno is the househunters insistence on a particular type of house. I mean, obviously they have choices where they live. But in LA the idea of insisting on a colonial versus a cape cod versus a mid century modern versus a split level ranch etc is foreign to me. Two story versus one story, yes. But the primary search consists in questions such as is it in a neighborhood I can deal with, how far is the commute (in hours sometimes), is it sound, is it in a hot area or a cooler area or downtown versus suburb, etc... I watch these people fuss over what kind of architecture style and I am baffled at their choices. I just want a sound home, reasonable commute, safe as I can afford neighborhood, in an area that is not a furnace in the summer or subject to landslides/major flooding, etc.

It does make it kinda fun to choose what kind of home I would get if I were them though. Lately almost every home they show is horrible to me, though. When they get to the third nightmare home I realize these people actually bought one of these terrible houses and I marvel.

• Like 13
(edited)

The rerun of the L.A. people (Temecula and Murrietta) where the wife gets a big job with Disney, is on again.   They went from a 1 bedroom, with the two daughters sharing a bed in the dining nook, to a six bedroom home with a spa and pool, and they're planning many thousands worth of upgrades, and changes.       

I wonder how thrilled the daughters will be when they figure out that they'll have to take out loans for college, because everything went to the big house with the pool?   Because of the family income they won't qualify for financial aid.   And things like the designer dog, that starts at $3500 and up?     I'm guessing that the wife better keep that job with Disney (I'm assuming Disney), or that house will be gone. 

I hope the couple sock away money for emergencies, and maintenance for that big house.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6

The financial situation was a bit strange with the California ep. At least the family all seemed to like each other. Teens weren't embarrassed to be with their parents.

• Like 6

I don't think I've ever seen it - and don't care to watch someone who'd buy a dog rather than adopting one from a shelter or rescue - but Disney is a notoriously difficult and fickle company to work for, even within the reality of Corporate America, so she shouldn't bank on this big change going the distance.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

The disconnect on this show for me as a life long middle class Los Angeleno is the househunters insistence on a particular type of house. I mean, obviously they have choices where they live. But in LA the idea of insisting on a colonial versus a cape cod versus a mid century modern versus a split level ranch etc is foreign to me. Two story versus one story, yes. But the primary search consists in questions such as is it in a neighborhood I can deal with, how far is the commute (in hours sometimes), is it sound, is it in a hot area or a cooler area or downtown versus suburb, etc... I watch these people fuss over what kind of architecture style and I am baffled at their choices. I just want a sound home, reasonable commute, safe as I can afford neighborhood, in an area that is not a furnace in the summer or subject to landslides/major flooding, etc.

It does make it kinda fun to choose what kind of home I would get if I were them though. Lately almost every home they show is horrible to me, though. When they get to the third nightmare home I realize these people actually bought one of these terrible houses and I marvel.

This is an interesting comment. 

Let me be clear that I find it very strange when people have such strong opinions about which builder tract non-authentic faux architectural style they want.

Like yourself, I am much more concerned with location and other objective aspects of a home. By and large, I don't even care that much about the much *discussed* curb appeal. Unless a home is at some extreme, I don't care - I am much more concerned about the interior of a home because I see the front of my home for about five seconds while walking in or driving up.

However, I grew up on the East Coast - Brooklyn - then Manhattan for a bit with relatives in the suburbs of NJ in the typical nondescript comfortable tract homes - what style were they - they HAD no discernible style - some were two story and some were the kind of homes that had half stairs - not really a split level.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The financial situation was a bit strange with the California ep. At least the family all seemed to like each other. Teens weren't embarrassed to be with their parents.

Unless I misheard, didn't the California couple say they'd rented the one bedroom for 20 years, then they had the option to buy but (understandably) didn't want to?   

• Like 2