Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oy, CrazyinAlabama, if you're right, what were they thinking? When they built the place! I've been up Sheridan Road north of Chicago, a narrow, hilly, tree-lined path up the north shore. Some tremendously expensive homes along it--with driveways that go way up at steep angles. It occurs to me that those driveways may have heating elements under the cement--maybe the stairs had the same. Doesn't help the workout part, but may reduce the likelihood of broken bones.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can only imagine how much extra movers, and furniture or appliance delivery costs to that house. 

They better tip food deliverers very well, especially in bad weather.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

The fireplace did not look old and dirty. 

I was saying to her, "Girl, it's had burnt wood in it.  What do you expect it to look like?"

At her age, she would probably be a public defender and years from now have a private practice.

• Love 4

Katie and Sean from north Jersey -- I loathe people like her. Don't do me any favors by agreeing to something and then bitching incessantly. Her reservations with the timing were valid, but she negotiated her terms. Give it a fair go, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. And I didn't like the house. How many levels was it? And open straight to the roof? Gonna cost a fortune to heat and cool. Plenty of indoor space but virtually none outside. Too much house for the land especially if they have a child or two.

• Love 1

Kansas City: the guy’s black jeans were so tight. I thought they were leggings - he’s a trainer so I thought he was wearing workout tights. All his jeans were tight; he clearly likes to show off his body. I thought the first house they looked at in the cookie-cutter suburb was kind of depressing; the cookie cutter-ness of the neighborhood bummed me out. I thought the second one had had all the charm ripped out. The husband fairly steamrolled his wife; they ended up in the cookie cutter new build.

• Love 7

Just find all pictures of the Yonkers house along with the floor plan.  The driveway goes right up to the side of the basement which has indoor stairs to the main floor of the house.  A lot of manufactured drama for tv.  Did like that house anyway.

• Love 5

Cameron, yes, I found the Yonkers pictures too, and there is a small car park just up the hill around a short curve in the drive, but there are still a lot of stairs to negotiate from there.  They aren't outside stairs, so icy conditions on the outside stairs might not be a problem.  How about ice on the driveway though?  It's a unique house, but too many stairs and rocks in the yard for my taste.  I was curious about the U.S. govt. job one of them had because he traveled a lot and lived in many different countries,   

The New York apartment gave me claustrophobia, especially the kitchen.  I guess I'm not cut out for city living.

• Love 1
On 8/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, ECM1231 said:

I missed this episode. Where else did they look? Westchester County?

As @Empress1 said, the one they bought is in Yonkers.  I don't think they said where the other one was, although I think they were currently living in New Jersey.

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Kansas City: the guy’s black jeans were so tight. I thought they were leggings - he’s a trainer so I thought he was wearing workout tights. All his jeans were tight; he clearly likes to show off his body. 

I don't remember anything about him after seeing him at the end in that painted-on yellow shirt, as an even lumpier version of Hans and Franz.  He selected that to wear.  On TV.  Which means he thinks it flatters him.  SMH.

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I thought the first house they looked at in the cookie-cutter suburb was kind of depressing; the cookie cutter-ness of the neighborhood bummed me out.

The cookie cutter-ness of the neighborhood bums me out, too, but I have to admit that I find something appealing about the look of the individual cookie cutter Craftsman houses. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Cameron, yes, I found the Yonkers pictures too, and there is a small car park just up the hill around a short curve in the drive, but there are still a lot of stairs to negotiate from there.  They aren't outside stairs, so icy conditions on the outside stairs might not be a problem.  How about ice on the driveway though?  It's a unique house, but too many stairs and rocks in the yard for my taste.  I was curious about the U.S. govt. job one of them had because he traveled a lot and lived in many different countries,   

The New York apartment gave me claustrophobia, especially the kitchen.  I guess I'm not cut out for city living.

The pictures that I found show the driveway going into the basement which has steps to the first floor of the house.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

As @Empress1 said, the one they bought is in Yonkers.  I don't think they said where the other one was, although I think they were currently in New Jersey.  

I believe the other house was in Mamaroneck. 

Georgia gargoyle didn’t want any projects! Assume that’s because of the huge failure of whoever worked on her highlights. I noticed that NO PROJECTS didn’t extend to her backyard farm ideas. And naturally they bought the house with the most projects.

Do people watch this show because they frequently come away knowing they’re not the biggest weirdos out there?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

My question on the house with all of the stairs is if the garage stairs go all the way to the main house, or up to the sun room/bonus room over the garage?      That house made my knees hurt.   

I disliked the Ga. stay at home dad, and the 'I make so much money that I"m wonderful' wife.   I didn't see what was so wrong with the house they bought, and think that with the money they've spent buying it, and on the massive remodel, they could have bought turn key at the higher price point.    I think the only point of a family of three buying that massive house is to show everyone else how much money they have.     

The single woman buying in Long Beach is amazing to me for the prices.    The first place was so small for the price, and the HOA.   The single family was so nice!   However, I would have taken a few cabinets out of the garage, and put in regular size washer / dryer.    The realtor is not doing the right thing, pushing the home buyer to spend every penny she's approved for.     The third one is awful.    Street parking for guests, and the only possibility for in unit laundry is one of the very expensive washer/dryer all in one units, in the kitchen would be deal breakers for me.    The HOA is pretty expensive too.     That excuse for a balcony was ridiculous.    The single family house is such a good deal compared to the condos. 

So, she bought the condo, #3.     With what she put into that condo, she could have had the single family.    They condos were both close to the beach, but the single family was further back.   They mentioned the house was not right on the beach, but didn't exactly say how far.   They also didn't show much of the neighboring houses either.  

The veterinarian in Ada, OK is rerunning again.   A relative grew up there, and remembers the family (the house hunter is from there).    The prices for a mansion like the buyers selected are so reasonable there.     It's so funny to see a place I've been to on the show.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Long Beach, Ca. I would have gone for the house but she’s young & single & was ready mingle. The two condos were horrible and so tiny. I can’t believe the price for a one bedroom & not totally upgraded. No way...No how!!!!!! He countertops in both places were horrible and that would haven the first thing I replaced. Also, the HOA’s are terrible. Hopefully, she and her new man are happy. If they are still going strong she might be unloading that place. The realtor was very pretty and seemed nice enough. She should see if there any openings on Selling Sunset. She’d be perfect.

• Love 3

Kansas City. Cat on the counter. Noooo, I don’t think I’m going to like this couple. Certainly would never eat food they bring to a potluck.

“I’m very unique, and I want my house to be unique,” says the clothes- and makeup-obsessed blonde wearing neutral colors and on the prowl for a white kitchen. A closet room, a basement gym, must be close to a meddling mother, comments completely dismissing her preferences…they’re just playing into all of the stereotypes of superficial, vacuous airhead and overbearing, muscle-bound boar.

Wow $350k buys a lot of house in Kansas City.

First house, generic new McCraftsman in a subdivision far from the city.

Second house looked like a lovely historic home on the outside and a sad flip on the inside. Did they not even mention or tour the veranda?

Third house, oof. Old (1980s) but not historic. A mishmash of details and poorly thought-out renovations. A brand-new miniature jacuzzi tub that wouldn’t fit an adult? But why though?

I suppose they chose the best of mundane options. Couldn’t they buy one of Tamara’s bargain mansions instead?

Single lady in Long Beach, CA. She seemed like a fun friend to have, sorry to hear about her dating woes. First condo, meh. Shows the importance of staging, because all of that dark, heavy furniture just emphasized how claustrophobic and light-starved the unit was. Second house, 1920s bungalow, much better, but I’m partial to century homes. Too far from where she wanted to be, though. Eight miles is an eternity in sprawling, traffic-clogged cities. Back to the beach with the third condo, but another meh. No one will visit if parking isn’t available. Have fun cleaning all of that counter tile grout.

I wouldn’t have guessed her choice based on the initial tours, but all of the location benefits became clear during the epilogue. And yes, I suppose when you live in a walkable neighborhood with lots of social options, you make friends who also live there and then parking isn't a factor. I really love the updates she did, made it look like a completely different place. What a fantastic ending. I still want to be her friend.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The realtor was very pretty and seemed nice enough. She should see if there any openings on Selling Sunset. She’d be perfect.

The Long Beach realtor seemed to be much more front and center than the buyer, I feel like they applied for the show mostly for her benefit. She pointed out a lot of things and explained the positives and negatives, whereas usually the realtor is just wallpaper who nods at all of the buyers complaints and occasionally makes a snarky face. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Kansas City: the guy’s black jeans were so tight. I thought they were leggings - he’s a trainer so I thought he was wearing workout tights. All his jeans were tight; he clearly likes to show off his body. I thought the first house they looked at in the cookie-cutter suburb was kind of depressing; the cookie cutter-ness of the neighborhood bummed me out. I thought the second one had had all the charm ripped out. The husband fairly steamrolled his wife; they ended up in the cookie cutter new build.

I also thought that they were ripped leggings.  Totally insufferable jerk IMO.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

I’m very unique, and I want my house to be unique,” says the clothes- and makeup-obsessed blonde wearing neutral colors and on the prowl for a white kitchen.

Had the same thought. She’s probably very nice, but nothing about her says “unique.”

• Love 4
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The Long Beach realtor seemed to be much more front and center than the buyer, I feel like they applied for the show mostly for her benefit. She pointed out a lot of things and explained the positives and negatives, whereas usually the realtor is just wallpaper who nods at all of the buyers complaints and occasionally makes a snarky face. 

I totally agree. The realtor was much more of a presence than the buyer even though they were always on screen together. She was explaining more without being obnoxious.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

Back to the beach with the third condo, but another meh. No one will visit if parking isn’t available.

One of my closest friends lived in Belmont Shore for several years, and I drove down a lot, but, yeah, for most other people, I'd have been less willing to deal with the parking.  At least once I got situated, everything was walkable.

17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, she bought the condo, #3.     Wih wha she put into that condo, she could have had the single family.    

Do you know where in Long Beach the house was?  (I didn't watch.)  Because there are still plenty of pockets of L.B. where one wouldn't want to live if they had better options, and a smaller place in a better neighborhood would definitely win out.

The two condos were close to the beach, but the single family Long Beach house was not close to the beach.  I don't know if that means half a mile, or even more.   They also didn't really show the neighboring homes to the single family either, so it might have been a short term rental or something, that they rented for a decoy.  I've read that the decoys houses are often short term rentals, because they can film them.  

18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The third one is awful.    Street parking for guests, and the only possibility for in unit laundry is one of the very expensive washer/dryer all in one units, in the kitchen would be deal breakers for me.   

The all-in-one combo units aren't all that expensive.  Probably about $1300, which I think is kind of in line with what buying a separate washer and dryer might be these days.

The capacity on the combo unit is less than standard machines, but they can do a set of queen sheets, so the compromise is usually a matter of doing more loads.  A separate dryer is better because the drum is bigger and allows for more tumbling, but the combo unit can be okay if you just adjust your methods a little.  And if you can put in a vent, you'll be happier because dry times are lower (ventless models don't exhaust the hot air into the house, btw). 

Don't get me wrong--a separate washer and dryer is definitely better, but if the choice is between having a combo unit and using a laundry room, the combo unit can be pretty compelling, especially in a household of just one or two people.  And you can put the money you don't pump into machines into recouping the cost of the combo unit.

I do find it interesting that having the washer/dryer in the kitchen is so common in Europe but seen as weird (sometimes maybe insurmountably weird) in the U.S. 

But in the category of insurmountably weird, the complex where she bought has a layout very similar to one I lived in out there when I was in college (the university owned it), and I just can't picture it as a place for adults, never mind adults who pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a unit.  I'm sure it's very common, though, since there are tons of apartment complexes that look just like that.

• Love 1

The Georgia couple seemed nice. They bought a brick house on 6 acres of land. They paid $635,500 which seems like a lot of money but I’m surprised it didn’t cost $800,000. Perhaps because it was in Georgia. Although, the wife mentioned she didn’t want any renovations done through the whole episode they end up buying a house & doing major renovations. LOL!!! That said, I would love  to see the end result. It was a big house, with a pool and huge outside work area for the husband. 

40 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I do find it interesting that having the washer/dryer in the kitchen is so common in Europe but seen as weird (sometimes maybe insurmountably weird) in the U.S. 

As long as I still had ample cabinet space, I would not be bothered by having my washer/dryer in the kitchen.  My utility room is directly off my kitchen, and I never close the door to it (since my cat needs access to it for her food and to the half bath off of it for her litter box), so I hear the machines running in the kitchen just as I would if they were in there.  (Or are cabinet space and/or noise not the issue?  I actually don't even know why Americans are so horrified by it - is this yet another germaphobe thing?)

• Love 2

I think the laundry in the kitchen phobia is that a lot of people want a separate laundry room.    Many of the houses I see on house hunters, or Flip or Flop, and other remodeling shows have an issue with the laundry in the kitchen, because they want a big kitchen to sell the house for more money.    So a washer/dryer in the kitchen means less cabinet space, counter space, and a crowded kitchen.    I dislike the closet for laundry, whether in the kitchen, or hallway, that isn't deep enough for a washer and dryer to fit, and have the closet doors close.    In my previous house I had a front loader, and had to leave the door open all of the time, and that wouldn't work if it would have been in a smaller laundry closet, or a hallway.     

I am always amazed at the price of the California places.   Almost half a million, plus condo fees, for a 1 bed, 1 bath.   

• Love 2

I would much prefer a washer/dryer in the kitchen versus having one in the basement.

A laundry room is theoretically nice but not having one is a minor compromise. It's not a big deal to put clothing in a basket and either fold on top of the units or bring the basket someplace else to fold if that's easier. 

I guess people who have that kind of horror grew up in a large suburban home and never dealt with either communal laundry rooms - laundromats - or urban apartments where you feel thankful that there is a viable place to put a washer/dryer. 

I live in a high rise condo and the laundry room was down the hall. I actually didn't mind that too much because it was closer to me than many people's machines might be located and it didn't service that many people on a floor so I rarely found it occupied. 

When I remodeled my unit I added a stacking unit in a closet which has a pull out shelf but generally I just drop the clothing in the basket and take it over to the bed to sort and fold.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

My mother has a condo, and the washer/dryer are in the kitchen so I don’t get the fuss.

I’ve only seen it in real estate pictures and I still think it’s weird. I’ve never seen in person though. I personally wouldn’t want it but if it’s the only place it’s better than nothing. 

The first condo that the Long Beach woman looked at gave me the creeps.  It was dark and looked smaller than it was.  I agree with previous comments about the realtor being more informative than most realtors that we see on the show.  I liked her a lot, and would want to have someone like her helping me find a house.

As for the washer/dryer location in a kitchen, I don't care.  I've lived in places that had the laundry equipment in a separate room, in the kitchen, in the garage (never, never, never again), and in a hall closet.  I've lived in a house for 17 years where the washer is in the kitchen behind a door, and the dryer is in the inside utility room several steps away.  It has to be that way because when the house was built in 1957, most people had only washing machines, and no dryers.  The washing machines were located in the kitchen because other plumbing was there and it was efficient and cheap for the builder to do that.  Also, people didn't really dwell on that as long as they had an automatic washing machine which was a real perk in 1957.  I have gotten several estimates over the years of trying to move the washer into the utility room, but it would entail jack hammering up part of the house slab, digging a trench across my very nicely landscaped back yard to connect to the city sewer system, etc. and the last cost of the entire project was close to $10,000.  I'll continue to wash clothes in the kitchen & dry them in another room.  Sending a picture of how we have disguised the washing machine closet when the kitchen was remodeled a couple of years ago.  If it's a deal breaker for someone when I decide to sell the house, so be it.  Someone will come along who isn't super picky.          

Zitro pix 5.jpg

Zitro pix 2.jpg

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 8

The worst house I ever heard of was a potential rental in a high cost area, but the owner had a bunch of older houses he rented to teachers at small prices.   He was on the school board, and wanted to help keep good teachers on staff.     The house my friends rented was a nice ranch, with a huge bathroom, and the cutest claw foot tub.    The house his wife said no to hadn't had indoor plumbing when it was built years ago, so they put the toilet next to the water source, it was next to the stove, and on the other side was the sink.    No, I'm not kidding, it was stove, then toilet, and then the kitchen sink.    His wife told him she would divorce him if he rented the toilet/kitchen one.     

The best solution to me for the Long Beach condo would be if they could put in a cabinet with a stacked laundry unit.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

As I posted, when I remodeled I installed a stacking washer and dryer in a closet. The closet is deep enough to accommodate it so when the doors are closed, no one would know it’s there. 

in my building, people install units in the guest bathroom or master bath or the closet. They are always installed in a cabinet so they are behind doors that match the rest of the cabinetry. As posted above, one can certainly do the same in the kitchen and have the units behind doors when not being used. 

I am amused by people who act as if having units in the kitchen is unsanitary in some way. I can’t figure out what the issue is. Are they afraid that dirty clothes contaminate the kitchen. Typically dirty clothing Isn’t strewn randomly on eating or prep surfaces but even so there are many dirty things which are brought into kitchen which is sny normal people wipe down counters and eating surfaces 😀

Edited by amarante
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, amarante said:

As I posted, when I remodeled I installed a stacking washer and dryer in a closet. The closet is deep enough to accommodate it so when the doors are closed, no one would know it’s there. 

The combo washer/dryer in my RV is in a cabinet behind a door, next to the refrigerator.  Nobody has a clue it's in there, and are actually surprised to find a washer/dryer lurking back there.

Does anybody remember an episode from a while back (probably more than a year), that I'm pretty sure was in NYC.  One of the properties (and I think it's the one they bought) had a stacking washer and dryer in the kitchen, but they were those huge new ones that are kind of bulbous, and they stuck way out of the space for them.  They were so big and jutting that they visually took over that wall in the kitchen, which was open to the living room.  I love a washer/dryer, but I wouldn't want to look at that hulking mass during all of my waking hours.

A lot of homes here either have a first floor half bath, with the laundry in there, or it's in the guest bath if the home is one story.       I'm wondering about the logistics of putting a washer dryer in the Long Beach kitchen, with drains, water supply, and electric, plus changing the cabinets to accommodate it.     Did that complex have a washer dryer room for the residents?   If so, then I wouldn't put my own in.    

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A lot of homes here either have a first floor half bath, with the laundry in there, or it's in the guest bath if the home is one story.       I'm wondering about the logistics of putting a washer dryer in the Long Beach kitchen, with drains, water supply, and electric, plus changing the cabinets to accommodate it.     Did that complex have a washer dryer room for the residents?   If so, then I wouldn't put my own in.    

It’s not logistically difficult to retrofit a washer dryer in an apartment. You tie the drain into an existing drain - my washer is tied to the drain in the bathroom. Typically for an apartment you use a low flow washer and a ventless dryer. Those are standard in European appliances. 

My condo has to approve the model washing machine and dryer. Mine are Bosch and I also have very strong water safety systems going to prevent any damage if there is a flood. The machines turn off automatically if the sensor senses water outside the machine and they are set in a pan to catch the water. It is an excellent thing to have for any appliance even if you don’t oiv3 in an apartment. My dishwasher and refrigerator also have water alarm systems that turn water off if they sense water leaking. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Kansas City couple really needed two houses, one for him, and one for her. 

Did he really intend to move his training business into the house basement?    Good luck with that, because it's going to be very obvious if he does.    HOAs don't stand for that, and other subdivisions without HOAs don't either.  

The new build was nice, but whining about a big walkin closet was obnoxious.   

The second vintage house was nice, but I didn't like the basement with what looked like a lot of water puddles, and some drywall that was soaked.    I'm wondering if that one needed a sump pump and drain field?    

The third would have been nice, but I suspect it wasn't great quality, and looked like a flip house with mostly cosmetic work.   I also wondered about the quality, and durability of all of the 'Tudor' trim.  

So they chose the first one, and now he can watch himself in the mirror he put across from his weight bench.     I guess finishing the small parts of the fence they needed to do for the dog, came in second to putting in a mirror to watch himself work out.   By the way, calling yourself an Alpha Male isn't an excuse to treat everyone like garbage either.  

Those leggings, or jeggings, or whatever they were made his butt look big.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
On 8/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, Empress1 said:

Did not like him at all! I have a bad feeling he is controlling of his wife and borders on bullying.  Feel sorry for her. Of course they bought the home he wanted.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My question on the house with all of the stairs is if the garage stairs go all the way to the main house, or up to the sun room/bonus room over the garage?      That house made my knees hurt.   

I disliked the Ga. stay at home dad, and the 'I make so much money that I"m wonderful' wife.   I didn't see what was so wrong with the house they bought, and think that with the money they've spent buying it, and on the massive remodel, they could have bought turn key at the higher price point.    I think the only point of a family of three buying that massive house is to show everyone else how much money they have.     

The single woman buying in Long Beach is amazing to me for the prices.    The first place was so small for the price, and the HOA.   The single family was so nice!   However, I would have taken a few cabinets out of the garage, and put in regular size washer / dryer.    The realtor is not doing the right thing, pushing the home buyer to spend every penny she's approved for.     The third one is awful.    Street parking for guests, and the only possibility for in unit laundry is one of the very expensive washer/dryer all in one units, in the kitchen would be deal breakers for me.    The HOA is pretty expensive too.     That excuse for a balcony was ridiculous.    The single family house is such a good deal compared to the condos. 

So, she bought the condo, #3.     With what she put into that condo, she could have had the single family.    They condos were both close to the beach, but the single family was further back.   They mentioned the house was not right on the beach, but didn't exactly say how far.   They also didn't show much of the neighboring houses either.  

The veterinarian in Ada, OK is rerunning again.   A relative grew up there, and remembers the family (the house hunter is from there).    The prices for a mansion like the buyers selected are so reasonable there.     It's so funny to see a place I've been to on the show.    

I can not believe she passed up that oh so cute and ready to move in vintage home. I would have looked no further. To live in an ugly &%#* box condo.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, ByaNose said:

I totally agree. The realtor was much more of a presence than the buyer even though they were always on screen together. She was explaining more without being obnoxious.

Whats with these ,not always young, women realtors with the plastered on makeup, fake hair (among other things) 2lb fake eyelashes, hooker heels, painted on dresses. They look like street walkers. 

• Love 5
On 8/29/2020 at 8:33 AM, cameron said:

You're right.  Couldn't think of the right word.  Didn't think that men wore either style.  Guess I'm wrong.

I'm all for a healthy muscular bod on a man. But he looked terrible. Those popeye arm muscles were revolting. And his personality moreso. No one like a show off Mr. Ugly arm leggings man. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I can not believe she passed up that oh so cute and ready to move in vintage home. I would have looked no further. To live in an ugly &%#* box condo.

Whats with these ,not always young, women realtors with the plastered on makeup, fake hair (among other things) 2lb fake eyelashes, hooker heels, painted on dresses. They look like street walkers. 

I thought she looked rather attractive. Beautiful dark hair. Quite striking. That said, I’ve never had a realtor that looked like some kind of runway model or reality tv star. They just look like everyday folk. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

The location for the Long Beach Woman was why it was that price. There are sketchy areas in Long Beach. Besides which the condo was a block from the beach and the house was several miles inland. I wasn’t wild about the condo but the  price reflected FMV for a beach adjacent home. Location always impacts FMV significantly. 

Sex sells. You shou see the female realtors in Million Dollar Listing or selling Sunset. 😂😂

Edited by amarante
17 hours ago, amarante said:

The location for the Long Beach Woman was why it was that price. There are sketchy areas in Long Beach. Besides which the condo was a block from the beach and the house was several miles inland. I wasn’t wild about the condo but the  price reflected FMV for a beach adjacent home. Location always impacts FMV significantly. 

Sex sells. You shou see the female realtors in Million Dollar Listing or selling Sunset. 😂😂

Yep, I am paying bank for a crappy "vintage" one bedroom apartment 4 blocks from the beach.  Most of the buildings in this neighborhood are crappy, the sidewalks are in disrepair, there's dog crap all over the place, the "landscaping" is in poor shape (other than the fantastic palm trees) and there's only street parking for about 75% of the apartments, and yet people pay top dollar because of the location.  I will say the neighborhoods are very walkable so in non-pandemic times it's terrific.  But nothing around here is new, modern or spacious unless you have one of the single family homes or one of the few newer apartments that are sprinkled here and there. So what she bought is pretty typical of the area and the price reflects the location.

Long Beach is the more affordable beach city in Los Angeles or Orange County, CA.  You can't get anything for the price she paid in Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach or Newport Beach.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love the Atlanta area house hunters on tonight's show.     They consider each other's opinions, and when he said he couldn't stay in the second house with the multiple pets (he can't be around pollen, and pet dander, because of his allergies), and he needed only hard surface floors, and no carpet.   The second house was awful, lovely house but they kept some pets in the basement, litter boxes upstairs, and the house was full of animal allergens.   However, they bought it, cleaned the basement with professionals, and ripped out the carpet, and put in hardwoods before they moved in.   

He wanted a smaller place, but I think they picked a great house, with a little work.   The couple are really working as a team.    I suspect most of the drama was for the story line, since we know they already own the house.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Wow - mileage truly does vary. I thought the Atlanta wife was a major beotch. It was her way or the highway. I dislike people who want a house that will impress other people - she needed a kitchen that would wow guests. Granted, she cooked, but the need to have a house that will impress others really turns me off.

• Love 3

I think they were Indian, and around here the Indian families usually have regular gatherings at one family members house, so I can see why she wanted a house with a big kitchen, and entertaining space.    The townhouse would have been a terrible fit for the family, because they usually have very limited guest parking, and the space for the family wouldn't have all been able to come over at once.     I thought the husband's insistence on a small place was ridiculous.      I think a lot of the drama is scripted anyway, so some home owners that seem opinionated really aren't.   Then there are the ones that you can tell really are jerks in real life.   

That's the fun of watching house porn on HGTV, the varying houses, and the people.   

• Love 4