Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Dietary Supplements

• Start Topic

I think like most people, I used to see Dr Oz as someone to trust, someone authentic with real bonafides. I first saw him on Oprah, but only occasionally watched his show. Anyway, I think it was maybe a year ago when I started to realize that he had sold out. So, I loved Oliver's segment on him and the whole supplement industry. Frankly, I didn't realize Dr Oz had testified recently. The joke about calling his show Check This Shit Out with Some Guy Named Mehmet is awesome.

I take some supplements -- not any bizarre ones, but things like fish oil and calcium -- and I just hope the labels are truthful.

• Love 2

I love puppies as much as the next person but I'm a sucker for Steve Buscemi doing weird shit so I would totally need him tap dancing.

I used to see Dr Oz as someone to trust, someone authentic with real bonafides.

Even some of his harshest critics admit they wouldn't think twice about going to him if they needed cardiac surgery.  So he maintains his cred there.  But TV show Dr. Oz?  Total sell out.  It's one thing to be open to natural aids because I do think there is a lot out in nature that can be helpful in either a treatment of an illness or the symptoms of an illness and there isn't a lot of money out there to study the effectiveness of these natural solutions. It's quite another to not offer up a critical perspective of the claims being made. 

I take some supplements -- not any bizarre ones, but things like fish oil and calcium -- and I just hope the labels are truthful.

John focused on the weird supplements because that's what Oz was being called out on, but it's not just the "bizarre" ones with negative consequences, unfortunately.

Consumer Reports did a big report on supplements a year or two ago and in most healthy adults, they're just a waste of money or can even have negative consequences.  For instance, the calcium information is interesting.  Who would have thought that calcium supplements could potentially be related to heart attacks? 

Fish oil and calcium are probably the most popular supplements taken but quite a lot of the research seems to suggest that there is no "magical pill" (either from supplement manufacturers or big pharma). Fish oil supplements and calcium supplements don't provide the same benefits that fish oil from fish and calcium from food do. 

• Love 1

Even plain old vitamins can be dangerous if taken in mega-doses. My grandmother was sucked in by a tv ad to buy this entire regimen of vitamins, and then she had what they thought was a stroke but ended up being vitamin overdose. She got better once they all got out of her system, but it was a wake-up call for me.

Dr Oz is just so likable though it does look like he may have gotten some work done lately. My mom only knows 50 English words, but when his show first started, she watched a lot of it mostly because she had a small crush on him. Since checking his show, he has totally sold out. His website too is full of dietary recommendations and supplements. The show felt like he was doing an infomercial sometimes.

TVDB has titled this episode "Steve Buscemi" but for our purposes, maybe we should call it Dietary Supplements or something more descriptive?

It's important to point out that these supplements aren't regulated. What people take medical advice from a tv doctor? I think the comparison to snake oil salesmen was apt. 

I didn't even realize Dr. Oz was an actual doctor. I figure most actual doctors are actually working in the medical profession than to have time on tv to shill shit. It's not like they aren't paid well enough. 

You're on HBO and decide to pander to the audience but you don't get Joe Manganeillo to show up and take off his shirt.

It's been a few years since I watched Dr Oz but part of what drove me crazy about the show is that it suffers from the kind of ADD that seems to be a rule in talk shows. Depth? No, we've got to fit three more topics before the commercial break. That gets really dangerous when you're dealing with medicine. There aren't five new groundbreaking studies released every day, so you have to fill your show with something. Sometimes, too, he takes stuff that's not so exotic and presents it with a whole lotta woo.

That said, even tho he gets mocked for talking about poop and using water slides as vagina symbols I think those segments are very useful for bringing up medical issues people are usually embarrassed to face. I always sigh a little when those segments are mocked because... well, that's why we're afraid to talk about them.

Maybe this could finally get some movement for regulation of supplements.

• Love 1

John Oliver's smack down of the Dr. King of the Quacks Oz was epic. There are just so many terms to describe him. Fraud, huckster, con man, hypocrite, liar, and on and on.

During the Congressional hearing Oz was asked why he tells people things he knows aren't true. Of course he didn't have the balls or integrity to answer honestly, but it's the same reason Willie Sutton gave when asked why he robbed banks: That's where the money is.

Long live John Oliver!

• Love 2

"Doctor" Oz (I know he's actually a Doctor, but I think the AMA should find some way to revoke his title) deserves every bit of embarrassment and scorn both Congress and Oliver have heaped on him.  I hope someday Oliver take on "Doctor" Phil as well.

There are just so many terms to describe him. Fraud, huckster, con man, hypocrite, liar, and on and on.

Let's go with Weasel Fucktard Criminal.

Another indictment I appreciated seeing (but these guys deserved MUCH worse) was that of Orrin Hatch and Tom Harkin.  Those old slimy corrupt pieces of shit.

Maybe this could finally get some movement for regulation of supplements.

It's more likely to get some short-term attention for a bit, then it will be forgotten about, but meanwhile not just the supplement lobbyists, but ALL lobbyists, will start trying to dig up shit on Oliver and mysteriously leak it to the press at some point to try and ruin his rep/career and/or put pressure on HBO to censor or cancel him (that's the kind of Ghost P.R.-Terrorism those Cancers to our whole system, the lobbyists, do to their enemies). 

• Love 1

There was an article in Salon on the Nutritional Supplement piece, and  a lot of commenters on Facebook were very upset by John, saying that he must have been "bought out by BIg Pharm".  They somehow missed the point that "Big Supplement" bought out legislators.   (I'm pretty sure that a lot of supplements are made by the very same companies that make pharmaceuticals.).   They didn't seem to understand the point of the piece was that a lot of these supplements are not regulated, and that just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe or effective.  

• Love 2

There was an article in Salon on the Nutritional Supplement piece, and  a lot of commenters on Facebook were very upset by John, saying that he must have been "bought out by BIg Pharm".  They somehow missed the point that "Big Supplement" bought out legislators.   (I'm pretty sure that a lot of supplements are made by the very same companies that make pharmaceuticals.).   They didn't seem to understand the point of the piece was that a lot of these supplements are not regulated, and that just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe or effective.  

Yeah, that sounds like simple binary thinking that assumes that these supplements are viable alternatives to what Big Pharm puts out, and that if you railed against them you must be supporting Big Pharm.

Also, there's a decent chance many of those comments are there written by stooges.  Having those corrupt slimy structures in place to support industries like this isn't just limited to lobbying and buying the support of Congressmen and Senators. Those lobbyists are connected to Dirty Tricks teams who do stuff like go on the Internet and post anonymous comments pretending to be ordinary people "outraged" about whatever goes against their interests.

• Love 2
(edited)

As someone who, because of health and diatary stuff, actually NEEDS vitamins and supplments to stay healthy, choosing which brands to take is a crapshoot, and of course, doctors have no information except anecdotal as to who to recommend.  It's infuriating that this is not regulated, just as food and medicine is.  Tom Harkin? Feh. Whatever admiration I had for him is now gone.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 2

"Doctor" Oz (I know he's actually a Doctor, but I think the AMA should find some way to revoke his title) deserves every bit of embarrassment and scorn both Congress and Oliver have heaped on him.

I'm surprised that a legit Doctor is allowed to shill for shit anyway. It seems like it would be a violation of the AMA Code of Ethics. 

OK, one thing that struck me during the Oz segment was all the people saying how good looking, charming, etc he is.

I am so totally not seeing that, not even in a "ok, not my type, but I could see how there might be some appeal" way. He reminds me of a frog.

• Love 3

There probably is a bit of a tug of war between phrama lobbyists and the supplement industry, but I'd suspect they've called a truce if they can just get the FDA to stop doing its job.

Actually, it seems like every agency out there is massively understaffed (the effect of decades of not giving these agencies enough money to properly staff up) I wonder how much it would stimulate the economy if we just gave these agencies enough money to staff up to proper levels for regular inspections.

Those lobbyists are connected to Dirty Tricks teams who do stuff like go on the Internet and post anonymous comments pretending to be ordinary people "outraged" about whatever goes against their interests.

Yep, and nowadays they're good at finding people who can adapt to the tone of the community well enough that they don't sound like some robot suddenly dropped onto the site. Heck, just look at that report on Fox News and how they had armies that would troll various sites.

• Love 1

OK, one thing that struck me during the Oz segment was all the people saying how good looking, charming, etc he is.

I am so totally not seeing that, not even in a "ok, not my type, but I could see how there might be some appeal" way. He reminds me of a frog.

I agree that he is not conventionally attractive (he's actually become less appealing), but there is a significant portion of mostly older women (like my mother) who find him appealing. It's very relative, but there is something reassuring about his TV manner. He has decent bedside manner with his guests; he interacts with them constantly on the show. YMMV, but I can see why he appeals to the demographic. He appeared to be the well educated, interested, and soothing Doctor most people wish they could have.

Another excellent episode. "Name me one other man named Oz who claimed to have magical powers! You can't do it!" And the magic beans. "That's just science!" I think Oliver's show has been sort of hit or miss so far but when it's a hit, he really hits it out of the ball park.

• Love 1
For instance, the calcium information is interesting.  Who would have thought that calcium supplements could potentially be related to heart attacks?

Yeah, initially my doctor recommended additional calcium, then told me about a year ago to stop.  Great episode bringing to light a subject about which, I'm sure, very few Americans had any knowledge.

I like that John called out both a republican and a democrat accepting the supplement lobbyiest money.  That's how you show bi-partisanship Stewart.  And its just scary what these lobbiests do with their money, telling people to write their congressperson about something that's completely false.

I like that John called out both a republican and a democrat accepting the supplement lobbyiest money.  That's how you show bi-partisanship Stewart.

I don't necessarily think that was Oliver trying to be bi-partisan so much as it was just him plain reporting the way the system works.  Lobbyists like to buy off leading Congressional figures from both parties, and looks like that's what the supplement industry was doing here.  No matter which side is in control in Congress, they have a ranking bitch on the Senate committees to protect their interests. Who's your daddy?

• Love 2

I can't remember how John said it, but I've heard it pronounced both "boo-SEM-ee" and "boo-CHEM-me." I thought Steve Buscemi pronounced it the latter way, but a guy who lives near me pronounces it the former way.

During Steve's turn on Who Do You Thing You Are (the genealogy show), he himself pronounces it "Boo- SEM-ee".  Which is an Americanization of an Italian name. In Italian phonetics, it would be pronounced 'boo-SHAY-mee,' I'm no one to second guess how somebody pronounces his own name.....but I do. :)