Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Into the Woods

• I said this last week, but why does only one designer get an assistant? That seems unfair.
  • Why are they wasting part of Day 1 just shoppimg for paint...? Oh, so they can do an ad for the Shwerwin Williams app. Never mind.
  • Carter's paint looks similar to the color in my living room.
  • I love how they make a big deal about "you have two days!" then spend so much time screwing around with "reveals" of paint and stuff.
  • Also how Paige tells the homeowners about the budget as if they actually have any say in how the money is spent.
  • I love how the Miami guy is wearing a jacket while everyone else is in short sleeves.
  • I really didn't need to see Joanie and Brett brushing their teeth.
  • Antlers aside, I liked Frank's room. It's simple and pretty.
  • So, Carter's chaise is...a pile of painted logs? That doesn't look like something you could sit on.
  • Carter's room has a little too much "outside in" for me...
  • Love 6

I think I was so relieved to have two normal rooms, and no Hildi, that I am more than pleased!  As for the guy wearing the jacket, a friend has relatives from a Florida, and when they come up even just a little north, they find it cold even when it is in the 70s. Weird, but she says they layer up like it is winter.  So maybe he was like that?

• Love 5

Carter’s log lounge chair needed cushions on the seat and leg part, not just the pillow leaning against the back. The way it was, it was more of an art piece.

I can’t imagine that living wall is sustainable or as easy to water without making a mess as they’re pretending it is. 

I actually liked the leaf/EKG artwork and thought the wood bedframe and headboard were rustic done right.

i think the antler wreath was redone at some point between when we saw it being worked on and when it went up in the room. Because it looked WAY better at the end.

Both couples were enjoyable to watch and both seemed happy with what they got. Nice to see that.

• Love 9

As has been said many times but must be repeated: I cannot with these idiotic choices from the Wayfair tent.  A throw blanket?!  (I missed what the other couple picked.)  If something available is absolutely perfect for the room and an element the designer is known not to have included, I can see going with it no matter how small.  But otherwise?  Come on!  Pick the most-valuable item that will work in the room or, if that’s still not that great a deal, pick the most-valuable item the friends would love to promptly move to another room in the house and enjoy.  If all else fails, just pick the item they can quickly sell on Craigslist for $100.

I didn't bother with the repeat of last week's "find Frank an assistant" episode and only sporadically watched the first, after I'm a few drinks in, repeat of this episode.  One of my several glaring chunks of absence was the intro explaining the homeowners' desires and the theme, but I’ve stopped caring about missing anything because this show rather sucks.

Frank’s room was boring as hell, but seeing the "before" footage in the reveal, it was still an improvement – although a completely different purpose, so I assume they wanted to reclaim it as a … Something Room (seriously, what was it supposed to be?) … from the ... I don't know, Toy Room? ... it had been.

Carter’s bedroom was also an improvement (hard not to be) but boring, too. 

I keep saying that more and more as this revival chugs along.  I think most participants are thrilled with the experience and content with the results, so good, but as television this show is simultaneously more anemic in terms of design while more overloaded with silly shenanigans than the original, the combination of which appeals en masse to some unknown (to me) demographic.

This has definitely become merely something to watch if I happen to be home when it's on.  Which, to be fair, is basically all it ever was, as I never recorded it, but I at least used to be a little bummed if I missed an episode's original airing and never happened upon a repeat.  Now, whatever.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

but why does only one designer get an assistant? That seems unfair.

I can think of several reasons why Frank wants an assistant, especially as it relates to his age and/or health. And as he said, he might be running out of ideas.

Maybe he initially didn't want to do the show anymore, but he's not one to flat out refuse. By giving him an assistant, things move quicker and he gets someone to help with the design.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

As has been said many times but must be repeated: I cannot with these idiotic choices from the Wayfair tent.  A throw blanket?!  (I missed what the other couple picked.)  If something available is absolutely perfect for the room and an element the designer is known not to have included, I can see going with it no matter how small.  But otherwise?  Come on!  Pick the most-valuable item that will work in the room or, if that’s still not that great a deal, pick the most-valuable item the friends would love to promptly move to another room in the house and enjoy.  If all else fails, just pick the item they can quickly sell on Craigslist for $100.

Thank you. If I see one more person pick a stupid throw...and a small one at that. It wasn't something cozy that you could curl up into. It was more for show or your feet, and either way, it was a waste.

As for the comments about how boring the rooms were, I thought that myself, and found myself thinking back to the original show when the designer s did so much more to the rooms, for better or worse. Its almost as if the designers are playing it safe. Like or hate Doug and Hildi's rooms, they had a vision and stuck to it which was the whole point of the show. The new, revamped show seems more about advertiising Sherwin-Williams, Wayfair, Overstock, etc. 

The chaise was a cool idea but nonsensical if a cushion was not going to be put on top. There is no way that thing would be comfortable for even a short amount of time as shown.

As for the "planters", unless the pockets were lined with plastic, the water will run right through when watering the plants so its either not going to work at all, or needs to be taken outside to water and drip before rehaning. It is a cool idea for an outside wall where spills don't matter.

Having an assistant was a dumb thing, and a dumb waste of a show. The only reason I can think of having him is to introduce "technology" and apps that help you choose paint.

Lastly, love Paige but does she need to yell everything she says?

Edited by sunshine23
  • Love 2
(edited)

This episode was a relatively nice reprieve from the usual hijinks this season has hoisted upon the viewers. I agree that both rooms were sedate, but I think that's what the designers were going for, so that's a success in its own right. I know $2000 isn't necessarily a lot of money for a whole room makeover, but I still don't see where the money is spent most of the time. Maybe I'm accustomed to looking for bargains on everything, so my assumptions on what things really cost are out of whack with reality.

No other word can really describe Frank's room other that plain. I saw someone upthread mention how the designers used to do more in a room, but that's just a sign of the current design trends. The original Trading Spaces came out before Apple Stores and other tech companies pushed sleek and ultra minimal as sophisticated. Not to take anything away from that style, but I'm so sick of grey walls (even my own), but maybe we're headed in a more ornate direction like rococo or art deco (hightly doubt it). Overall, I'd have been very happy to have that room. I even liked the homemade art projects, which usually end up wretched. 

Carter's room turned out a lot better than Ty's last barnyard bedroom debacle (I'm still annoyed by that one). It could have done with one less log/branch/nature project. The log lounge chair looked like a medieval torture device painted white. Also, the hanging plant headboard looked like it was double the width on one side, which would drive my OCD into overdrive. I really liked the look of the headboard, but there is no way I'd want one myself.  

Edited by gorgy
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Frank’s room was boring as hell, but seeing the "before" footage in the reveal, it was still an improvement – although a completely different purpose, so I assume they wanted to reclaim it as a … Something Room (seriously, what was it supposed to be?) … from the ... I don't know, Toy Room? ... it had been.

It was basically storing the kids' toys, apparently, and I think they said they didn't actually really use it for playing in or anything (judging from the toys shown I'm guessing the kids are fairly young). They wanted a space where he could work (hence the desks) and she could relax with a book or whatever (hence the couch). I think they kind of implied that she is a stay-at-home mom; and maybe he works from home sometimes and didn't really have a good space for that...I don't think they actually said either of those outright, though (or if they did I missed it, or forgot).

5 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

Thank you. If I see one more person pick a stupid throw...and a small one at that. It wasn't something cozy that you could curl up into. It was more for show or your feet, and either way, it was a waste.

Makes me wonder if the "you can pick anything you want" rule isn't really true. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

As has been said many times but must be repeated: I cannot with these idiotic choices from the Wayfair tent.

Yes, yes, yes. I actually rewound my DVR looking for that stupid throw and finally saw it peeping out of a basket on the floor. I saw another throw on the couch. And that ugly rattan hanging lamp!! Just no.

• Love 3

Overall, I liked this episode better than the past shows this season.  The nonsense was toned down and less time-consuming and hyper perky Paige and her shouting seemed less in evidence.  I'm not into "rustic" but I thought Frank's room turned out well.  Even the decoration with the antlers looked fine.  I did get sick of the assistant mentioning Miami constantly.  I did not like Carter's room very much although it was better than anything Hildi or Ty would have done to it.  I wouldn't want live plants in dirt hanging right where I sleep and I wouldn't want a bed that I couldn't sit on to put on my shoes without hurting myself on the wood frame.  That log chaise made no sense at all.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, ehall1052 said:
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

As has been said many times but must be repeated: I cannot with these idiotic choices from the Wayfair tent.

Yes, yes, yes. I actually rewound my DVR looking for that stupid throw and finally saw it peeping out of a basket on the floor. I saw another throw on the couch. And that ugly rattan hanging lamp!! Just no.

Whereas I rewound twice looking for that lamp that Carter "had to" use, and nope, did not see it.

Speaking of Carter, he always seems to have more than a hundred dollars of the budget unspent ($149 and change this time). Paige's tone when talking about how far under budget he was was complimentary, but shouldn't the point be to get everything out of it that they can. Vern always seemed to give the most bang for the buck and even in the old days, he talked about how he shopped warehouse sales for items he might be able to use in a room, and actually gave people some quality pieces that way, plus he uses the budget. But then, he's an actual designer.

In this episode, a major facet of "bringing the outdoors in" was using foraged fresh greenery in decor projects, which will have withered and died in a few days. And Carter's "living wall" seems unsustainable even beyond needing a ladder to water the top half of panels that they couldn't get directly in front of due to the bedside tables, because the plants were left in the 3- and 4-inch plastic pots they came in. Even I, not the greenest of thumbs, know that if you don't promptly transplant them they'll quickly grow root-bound. And how much natural light were they going to get in that location? The less said about the chaise the better.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

Speaking of Carter, he always seems to have more than a hundred dollars of the budget unspent ($149 and change this time). Paige's tone when talking about how far under budget he was was complimentary, but shouldn't the point be to get everything out of it that they can.

I never understood why she'd get all excited that the designer had a ton of extra money left over. it's not like the homeowner gets a check for the surplus cash. Maybe it goes into her paycheck, because if not, it's not something to celebrate. 

I could see getting excited that they are only pennies away from the limit. That is impressive to me. 

So, is every episode going to have a theme now? Ugh

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Makes me wonder if the "you can pick anything you want" rule isn't really true. 

I did wonder if they are directed towards smaller items that won't clash with whatever the designer is doing with the room. 

I thought Frank's room was nice, but Carter's room was boring.  I suppose we should be thankful he didn't continue Ty's schtick of spelling out the room's theme in letters.  I can just imagine the word "outside" put over the bed in big block letters. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 6/2/2019 at 3:16 AM, MsTree said:

I can think of several reasons why Frank wants an assistant, especially as it relates to his age and/or health. And as he said, he might be running out of ideas.

Maybe he initially didn't want to do the show anymore, but he's not one to flat out refuse. By giving him an assistant, things move quicker and he gets someone to help with the design.

I bet that's the case.  Last season he only assisted with Nate and Jeremiah. This season he did one episode on his own and now this one (or did he do the one episode last season?).  He's 72 and I suspect the chaotic shooting his harder for him.  I also wonder if they aren't using this as a try-out for the assistant for next season. 

13 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I agree that log chaise looked awful - that space where the butt was supposed to go looked like too tight of an angle for anyone's bottom to fit.  And it was way too low to the ground.

I was obsessed with that! I kept thinking, how do you sit on that? That angle was crazy. But I did like the interesting triptych.  

Mostly I spent the episode wondering where they lived because that looked like paradise to me!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Mostly I spent the episode wondering where they lived because that looked like paradise to me!

They were in Raleigh, NC. I know a guy who lives there whose house is also adjacent to a woodsy area like that, so there are clearly parts of town that are less citified.

• Love 1

I thought Carter's room was mostly a fail. The wall planters would be the first thing to go if it were my room. And I don't really think the home owners were that thrilled with it either. They put on a good show but you could tell they were nonplussed. The bed frame looked cheap and uncomfortable. The chaise was ridiculous. How did Carter become a "designer" anyway? Does being a carpenter automatically qualify you for a designer license? 

Frank's room was nice if a bit boring but he gave the home owners what they asked for and it was a small space to work with.

I keep saying that more and more as this revival chugs along.  I think most participants are thrilled with the experience and content with the results, so good, but as television this show is simultaneously more anemic in terms of design while more overloaded with silly shenanigans than the original, the combination of which appeals en masse to some unknown (to me) demographic.

I feel the same way. I think the difference between then and now is that there is a glut of remodel and design shows, and cable stations devoted to them, as opposed to when this show originally aired. It now seems rather quaint and unimpressive compared to the big, expensive remodels we're used to seeing. And there's just not enough going on to merit spending a full hour on these. $2000, not a lot of money so not a lot of work to do.

• Love 4

I would never use/put in a room random sticks and logs.  They would have to really be cleaned and inspected before I would use them (oopsie, didn't mean to put that log with a termite colony inside of it in your bedroom...).  I really don't think "foraging" should ever be a design element.  Carter's hanging plant thing really reminded me of Genevieve's moss wall.  Both are completely ill suited to a bedroom.  

I agree with others that Frank probably doesn't want all of the physical demands of doing an episode on his own.  Although I liked his assistant best on the weird try-out show, I felt the assistant did not fit in that well as he was so focused on his Miami style, etc. 

Ty and Carter need to go back to the carpenter's tent.  And, they need to stop with the hi-jinks (really, brushing your teeth?).

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:50 PM, aquarian1 said:

I agree that log chaise looked awful - that space where the butt was supposed to go looked like too tight of an angle for anyone's bottom to fit.  And it was way too low to the ground.

But the GREAT thing about that "chaise" is that they can simply throw it away.  No damage to the room, nothing to redo unless they want to buy a chair of some sort.  No need to feel guilty about it, it was basically yard trash to begin with.  

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, walnutqueen said:

"Living wall"?  Dead in a week.  Go fuck yourselves, TS.

This may be harder to get rid of - I'm thinking holes in the wall where it was attached.  They'll need to find other artwork to cover those.

• Love 5

This show. This shit show. It depresses me so.

Back in the day, I loved Trading Spaces. I looked forward to watching it and getting some reasonable and affordable decorating ideas. Now, it seems nothing more than supposed comedy, squabbles and advertising for Sherwin-Williams, Overstock and Wayfair. 

Funny, but most episodes I have very little understanding of how the room will turn out. We get so little of the actual redecorating that when the room is revealed, I am as shocked as the homeowners.

It makes me sad. If they would have just stuck with the original concept I think it could have been a success. All the designs are fairly elementary, unoriginal and uninviting. My dog could do better blindfolded with his dew claw as the only tool. Bye TS. Adios. And take Ty and Carter with you. Designers they are not. Nope!

• Love 9

In defense of the living wall, they can work without water problems. Years ago* I bought some Woolly Pockets (damn expensive at the time - I imagine the price has come down if they're on TS) to hang in my dull office. Besides the wall anchors, they left nary a mark. Watered them fine, no leakage, no stains on the back. And the plants actually did well, especially for a room lit by fluorescents and indirect sun. When I left that job, however, moving them was a bit of a task and the plants unfortunately didn't fare too well in the end. (Then I made the mistake of storing the pockets in my basement, and a year or two later I found that some unseen rodent really enjoyed chomping on the material for a nest.) I like the use of those living walls, though I'd prefer they be hung somewhere that I could enjoy looking at from bed rather than lurking above me.

*I hate finding myself accidentally on the vanguard of trendiness. About five years ago I painted my kitchen a light gray only to find a few months later my mom pointing out a feature article in BH&G about how that was the new thing. I only chose it because it blends with stainless and makes my tiny kitchen look bigger! Thankfully, gray is already becoming passe' and I can go back to enjoying it without getting irritated about the lemming masses.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

*I hate finding myself accidentally on the vanguard of trendiness. About five years ago I painted my kitchen a light gray only to find a few months later my mom pointing out a feature article in BH&G about how that was the new thing. I only chose it because it blends with stainless and makes my tiny kitchen look bigger! Thankfully, gray is already becoming passe' and I can go back to enjoying it without getting irritated about the lemming masses.

Ha. Three years ago, I repainted my small bedroom in a light gray. I had no idea I was on trend, I just thought the color scheme (pale gray with cream trim) worked well in the space.

• Love 3
On 6/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, caitmcg said:

Whereas I rewound twice looking for that lamp that Carter "had to" use, and nope, did not see it.

I believe it was above the completely non-functional chaise lounge.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, seacliffsal said:

I would never use/put in a room random sticks and logs.  They would have to really be cleaned and inspected before I would use them (oopsie, didn't mean to put that log with a termite colony inside of it in your bedroom...).  I really don't think "foraging" should ever be a design element.  Carter's hanging plant thing really reminded me of Genevieve's moss wall.  Both are completely ill suited to a bedroom.  

I agree with others that Frank probably doesn't want all of the physical demands of doing an episode on his own.  Although I liked his assistant best on the weird try-out show, I felt the assistant did not fit in that well as he was so focused on his Miami style, etc. 

Ty and Carter need to go back to the carpenter's tent.  And, they need to stop with the hi-jinks (really, brushing your teeth?).

There could be no theme less Miami than “Into the woods” and I say this as someone who lived there for several years. The guy looked like a fish out of water. I wonder if Frank had to keep repeating that the guy worked for a top design firm in Miami because the design competition the assistant won was so terrible?

On 6/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, Fig Newton said:

This show. This shit show. It depresses me so.

Back in the day, I loved Trading Spaces. I looked forward to watching it and getting some reasonable and affordable decorating ideas. Now, it seems nothing more than supposed comedy, squabbles and advertising for Sherwin-Williams, Overstock and Wayfair. 

Funny, but most episodes I have very little understanding of how the room will turn out. We get so little of the actual redecorating that when the room is revealed, I am as shocked as the homeowners.

It makes me sad. If they would have just stuck with the original concept I think it could have been a success. All the designs are fairly elementary, unoriginal and uninviting. My dog could do better blindfolded with his dew claw as the only tool. Bye TS. Adios. And take Ty and Carter with you. Designers they are not. Nope!

On 6/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, iMonrey said:

I thought Carter's room was mostly a fail. The wall planters would be the first thing to go if it were my room. And I don't really think the home owners were that thrilled with it either. They put on a good show but you could tell they were nonplussed. The bed frame looked cheap and uncomfortable. The chaise was ridiculous. How did Carter become a "designer" anyway? Does being a carpenter automatically qualify you for a designer license? 

Frank's room was nice if a bit boring but he gave the home owners what they asked for and it was a small space to work with.

I feel the same way. I think the difference between then and now is that there is a glut of remodel and design shows, and cable stations devoted to them, as opposed to when this show originally aired. It now seems rather quaint and unimpressive compared to the big, expensive remodels we're used to seeing. And there's just not enough going on to merit spending a full hour on these. $2000, not a lot of money so not a lot of work to do.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:16 AM, Bastet said:

I didn't bother with the repeat of last week's "find Frank an assistant" episode and only sporadically watched the first, after I'm a few drinks in, repeat of this episode.  One of my several glaring chunks of absence was the intro explaining the homeowners' desires and the theme, but I’ve stopped caring about missing anything because this show rather sucks.

Carter’s bedroom was also an improvement (hard not to be) but boring, too. 

This has definitely become merely something to watch if I happen to be home when it's on.  Which, to be fair, is basically all it ever was, as I never recorded it, but I at least used to be a little bummed if I missed an episode's original airing and never happened upon a repeat.  Now, whatever.

I am waiting for someone to pick a three dollar paper weight from the design tent and conveniently ignore all the better and more expensive options.

I think everyone is correct that this show has lost its design niche. It actually sometimes looks like a poorly produced YouTube explainer video than a tv show. Of course when I say explainer I mean it will tell you where to download a paint app and not teach you anything about design. This and the current minimalism trends have really made this show obsolete. 

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

Can Carter stop designing and go back to being a carpenter? Carter’s room sucks! I agree with you all that Frank’s room is boring but I like it and I am glad Frank changed his tastes in design now or it would have been outdated 

• Love 2

I watched the last few minutes just to see the reveals. The show is tolerable that way, but still just barely. Anyway, Frank's room was... nice. Nothing offensive, nothing spectacular. It was pleasant. I wouldn't pay a designer to come up with it, because it's nothing anyone couldn't put together. 

As for the other room. It was empty. I hate beds with that kind of wood border around the mattress. It just doesn't seem practical and it isn't "stylish" enough to both with it. The weeds on the wall were just...why? It didn't look particularly good to be bothered with the upkeep of it. And there was hardly anything in that room. It was so bare. I did kind of like the shelves with the tree. That was kind of interesting. 

Overall impression: The theme of this week was bland and bareness. 

• Love 1