Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like that Tina has a "look" which gets Louise to cave. But Linda's crazy eyes were even better.

That reminded me of the episode -- I think it's where Louise gets the cavity and runs away to Gayle's -- where Bob tells Linda the crazy comes from her side of the family. "You think I don't know that?" she laughs maniacally.

And am I wrong, but was this the first time Bob cooked anything besides burgers and Thanksgiving turkeys? I know he cooked spaghetti and meatballs way back in season one, but he did that unwillingly and also Bob doesn't consider making pasta to be "cooking". But seriously, has he ever done anything but burgers, turkey and now rib roast?

When they were held prisoner on the cruise ship, doesn't he also cook different things? Edited by SmithW6079

Gene and Courtney get their big break when they are asked to be the new hosts of the morning announcements, but their romantic history threatens to get in the way. Meanwhile, Tina’s attempt to play Cupid goes tragically awry when she volunteers to spear-head the Valentine’s Day carnation fundraiser.

Neighbor: Happily Ever Actor casting agency

Exterminator: Squish Squish Bang Bang

Burger(s) of The Day: There was one on the wall but there wasn't a good angle to see it.

I love the names for stores in this show, this week we got the Petalphile, the florist.

Man, Gene and Courtney becoming a couple was weird but sweet. And Doug of course, wasn't having it, remembering what happened last time.

Still can't believe that's Jon Benjamin as Ms. Labonz. You can tell it's him, but it's just so funny.

Both Gene and Tina got good endings, I really liked it. Hell, the "we didn't get each other anything, but let's make out" ending for Bob & Linda was great, too.

• Love 3

I loved that Tina was so upset that she didn't get even one carnation, but she ended up being the one who got a red rose.  So cute!

I laughed when Bob and Linda casually mentioned that they had both goofed up (Bob with the flowers and Linda with the cards/envelopes).  And that they were both okay with not getting each other anything for Valentine's Day.  They're a great couple.

• Love 6

Bob and Linda both knew exactly what was going on and let themselves take care of each problem with no drama between them. That's good parenting and a good couple. 

JImmy junior continuing to talk after giving the rose to Tina was *exactly* what a teen boy would do. 

• Love 4

After Bob slips on the sidewalk, he is forced to take legal action in order to pay for surgery. In a turn of events, Bob finds himself under the care of Jairo, who promises to help him heal without a doctor. Meanwhile, the kids create a fake law firm to settle their personal discrepancies.

After a family vote rules against buying a new couch during TV Night, Louise takes matters into her own hands. The Belchers take sides as they are forced to decide whether memories are enough to keep their family sofa. Will they take the Sofa Queen’s advice and learn to love a new couch?

When Tina volunteers alongside Nurse Liz, she finds herself involved in the biggest scandal to hit Wagstaff: a lice infestation. Meanwhile, Bob makes improvements to the restaurant that end up driving customers away. Can the Belchers juggle both a crisis at the restaurant and lice?

I loved this episode. I liked that the gals had their project (& its snafus) and the guys had theirs. And I LOVED Tina losing her shit and opening all the envelopes. But Bob and Linda knowing the other side messed up and went to make out was the best part.

• Love 1

That was great! A very happy Bobs Burgers Valentines Extravaganza! 

Bob and Linda are just so chill with each other, it really is great to see. Plus, we get a sneak peak into the dangerous world of illegal underground flowers!

• Love 1

I sort of wanted Doug to be sad that Courtney broke the relationship off because Doug seemed so chill with Gene after things were cool between C&G.

I did like the toedip into illegal floristry(?). Note to self: Never bring Teddy! *g*  I get he needed 250 carnations, but why didn't Bob call five places and ask for 50? Surely the florists would try to find fifty for the guy. Bob could still have trouble getting the last hundred or so and still need to have Teddy bail him out.

I also was alerted to the cut-throat world of morning announcements!  Gene's last song was pretty good and we got to hear "Hot Ham and Cheese"!

Between Deadpool and Bob's, this was a nigh-perfect Valentine's Day this year!

I was thinking basically the same thing: call ten and ask for 25. I also want to know how successful this fundraiser must be if he had to pay super extra premium prices for the flowers the students would then resell. Or is this one of those parental participation things where they basically have to do it out of pocket to support the school? Inquiring minds want to know.

I also want to know how successful this fundraiser must be if he had to pay super extra premium prices for the flowers the students would then resell. Or is this one of those parental participation things where they basically have to do it out of pocket to support the school?

I may be wrong, but my read of the carnations was:

1) Use Valentine's Day to raise money for whichever option Sophie chose

2) Students pay for a carnation to be delivered to their someone(s)

3)The collected money would buy the not-expensive carnations, presuming that any money left over would go to Sophie's choice 

It seemed, though, to be open until the day before the carnations were to be handed out, so I'm not sure how that worked. Especially with several folks ending up with multiple carnations.

I am also wondering where the fake dog Linda no doubt made to cover for Tina is being kept.

Neighbor: Escrow Zone! Escrow for kids

Exterminator: Silence of The Ants

Burger(s) of The Day: The Say Cheese Burger, Let Us Catch Up Burger (with lettuce & ketchup), It Takes Bun To Know Bun Burger (served on a fancy bun), Head Shoulders Knees and Tomatoes Burger, I'm Picklish Burger (comes with pickles), Runny Out of Thyme Burger (comes with runny fried eggs & thyme)

I always keep track of the Burgers of the Day, so of course I was gonna love an entire episode focusing on it. I love that Teddy takes it seriously enough to punch cars.

It was neat seeing Jairo again. And Tina's obsession with her. He's rich with abs.

Kevin Kline always delivers when he appears, I especially loved "I thought we were cool!"

• Love 3

I loved this episode, all of my shows tonight were so on target, it was a great night for me.

Underwear face! I laughed all the way this episode.

Did not realize Steve Buscemi was the attorney Mr. Innocente until the credits. Dang you, BB, you've done it to me again!

Loved that Jairo and Bob have made up since Sexy Dance Fighting. Bob was so excited at the idea of maybe getting the red scrunchie.

Jairo has returned! Huzzah! 

Loved that we had a Burger of the Day episode. I was just thinking about how much I would struggle coming up with a clever burger every day (especially with all the other craziness that Bob deals with), and it turns out Bob struggles too!

I like that it was Linda that got Bob back into the groove. And Teddy going nuts about the burger of the day. He blew up!

I can buy that Bob probably would have a lot of neck and back problems. He's on his feet constantly.

• Love 2

Teddy's gonna kill Bob one of these days and wear him like a skin suit. I'm not even joking.

I loved Jairo working with Bob instead of making him poop himself. And I really liked the kids threatening people with fake lawyers. Such a Louise thing to do and Gene and Tina joining in just made it better.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Bob's stress about Burger of the Day but I'm also surprised he didn't keep his own master list of all of them? I mean, I get part of the point is new one every day, but if he were really stumped you'd think bringing back a past one that had been popular would be a better alternative to...comes with tomatoes. (or not doing one at all, but I know that wasn't his idea to begin with)

I mean, I know, that's the point of the plot but most restaurants that do an "of the day" are attempting to accomplish one or more of the following:

experiment with something they might want to put on the menu full time, but don't want to commit to

use up stuff they had for other reasons in a new combination

chefs gonna be cheffy

So at least from a financial perspective, Bob should know which burgers of the day were popular. Not that they've been shown to have great business acumen...

• Love 4

The best part of Bob's actual cooking was when he lost the cooking show, but everyone showed up at the restaurant, including the guy who beat him. You can't have Bob be a total sad sack for the show to work. He's got actual culinary skills. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Neighbor: Little Shop of Hulas

Exterminator: Sisterhood of the Traveling Ants

I love that Teddy takes losing a couch just as serious as Linda does. I also loved the Sofa Jester, I just laughed at everything he did, ESPECIALLY when he joined in on the high chair bet.

"It's the Sofa Queen, leader of the Ottoman Empire!" That's the most clever line of the episode and no one's gonna realize it.

I was really feeling this episode...and then I got really sad when the family set out to get their old couch back. I knew what was going to happen with that plot and they still went and did it.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

"It's the Sofa Queen, leader of the Ottoman Empire!" That's the most clever line of the episode and no one's gonna realize it.

No, you weren't the only one.

I was really feeling this episode...and then I got really sad when the family set out to get their old couch back. I knew what was going to happen with that plot and they still went and did it.

This episode reminded me of an old IKEA commercial, where a desk lamp is sitting on the curb in the rain. The spokesman comes out and mocks the viewers for feeling sorry for the lamp, because it's an inanimate object. That's how I felt about this episode --it's just a couch, even with the family history, and it was stupid to waste $500 and take back the old broken couch.

https://youtu.be/jU-cori12KU

• Love 8

I hated them getting their old couch back. It made no sense!

My fav quotes:

"It's the `Sofa Queen`! Ruler of the Ottoman Empire!"

"That what we in the furniture industry call a `nasty couch'".

"We need more paper towels. Gene motorboated his pasta again".

"You guys act weird to good news".

• Love 3

They really lost me on this one. I get the sentimentality. I could even maybe get Louise regretting it after the fact. Never EVER will they get me on board with the notion that seeing it splashed on from gutter water as cars drive by could be a motivating factor. Sure you might regret it in the moment. But it would NOT create a desire to have that gross thing back in the house. Too gross. They've passed my ick-factor acceptability level. I know it's a cartoon. I know even if it weren't a cartoon it's still just TV. But one of the reasons they wanted to get rid of the couch was it smelled bad. It'd be so so so so much worse after just sitting outside for the two days (or maybe it was only one?) Still that's too disgusting. And that's before I even get to the part where the family is usually presented as ok-but-cash-strapped. They can't go throwing away what they spent on the couch. Not for sentimental reasons. I am just not on board with any of this episode. They lost me with this one.

I also, in general, really don't like when sitcoms do a "change just to revert to status quo at the end" episode. I wonder if the next time we see the couch it'll look even grodier. I know they threw in a mention of upholstry guy on Cape Cod (which is like a six hour drive from NJ?) but that thing basically needs to be rebuilt since Louise damaged the structure. And the cushions and batting I'm sure are moldy and disgusting. So...they're going to completely rebuild the old couch?

Nope. Still too gross for me.

• Love 9

Yeah, did they forget that Loise weakened the frame so it would fall apart when they sat on it? Isn't it going to cost more to rebuild the frame and reapolster it than to get the floor model crom Sofa Queen? Bad money after good, or whatever that saying is.

• Love 1

They got a really good deal on the floor model. I was annoyed when they let it burn and took back a broken, smelly couch too. My grandparents have this chair. Its old and ugly in the way only things made in the mid 70s can be. It's in pretty bad shape. As a kid, I loved that chair, read books in the chair, napped in that chair, cuddled with my grandparents in that chair and so on. I feel a sentimental attachment to that chair, but when they decide its time to get rid of it I'll get it. I'll be a little bummed for a second or two and then I'll move on because my grandparents are awesome and they deserve nice, comfortable things. I really wish at the end Linda had realized that her family deserves better than a broken couch and convinced them to let it go. That would have been the better story.

Even though the ending bugged me, I loved the episode. Loved the high chair bet, loved the Sofa Queen, loved Louise telling Bob he'd taken a hit out on the couch, loved the fudge pretzel checkmate stuff and I loved Teddy's focus on the couch. Just wish it had ended differently.

• Love 2

Even though the ending bugged me, I loved the episode. Loved the high chair bet

Not as much as the Sofa Queen's brother(?), who got a commission based on their "you break it you buy it" policy. I wonder if a significant portion of his income was related to highchair bets?

• Love 1

I also, in general, really don't like when sitcoms do a "change just to revert to status quo at the end" episode.

I agree. I don't know why it still bothers me after all these years, but on a episode of "Facts of Life," Natalie gets a chance to study in Paris, but at the last moment she doesn't go, because her friends are all she needs or some bullshit like that.
  • LOL 1

I loved Louise's "you ordered a hit, you can't un-order it!" I am planning on using that line somehow in real life :) Also Gene's note, I think I'm going to leave a bunch of notes that say "Checkmate," around my office and see what people think about them. 

Agree with everyone that the couch was just so gross....can't believe they took it back at the end. I kept waiting for someone to come to their senses!

I must be incredibly cold-hearted because I don't think I have ever gotten that attached to an inanimate object in my life, not a couch, or a car or anything. I will toss out anything if it means clearing some clutter or getting to get something new. 

I don't get that attached either. I do have stuff I like, but not much. I left the couch and easy chair in my apartment when I moved and it didn't phase me at all. I do like my desk/table. It's simple, in good shape, and I've had it a while. I'd reuse it for another furniture purpose before throwing it out. But I've tossed tons of stuff over the years. 

I've been that attached to an inanimate object, but part of my being so involves keeping it pristine, clean, would never be even close to falling apart or as gross as that couch was BEFORE they left it on the sidewalk.

• Love 3