Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Sanctuary

• Start Topic

As the doctors continue to weather the storm without power, Max relies on an unlikely source to get the lights back on; Reynolds must get creative as he continues to work to save Hugh with very few resources.

That, uh, was an episode of TV. Yup. Certainly something.

Why did everyone have to go up to the ICU? I understand the NICU going up there for power. What about the PICU?

Why didn't they just have all of the people who didn't need immediate care just gather in an inner section of the hospital, the people would create warmth just by being in close proximity

• Love 7

Yeah, you gotta let go of logic and knowledge with these dramas. It's hard. I'm still working through it myself.

I liked the main character's (don't even recall his name) speech to the crowd about this being a moment they will always remember, how do they want to remember their part in it? Would've worked on me, anyway.

• Love 8

I am not really sure what the last scene was about. It was a lot of words and that was about it. Also, that mom that had just given birth was wearing blue jeans? That was maybe the craziest part! 

• Love 4

The ads for this episode kept calling it extraordinary; sorry, this was one episode that just seemed ordinary and unexceptional for me.  Seemed like a lot of "parts" (storyline) but somewhat discombobulated.  

I don't know what that was between Helen and Max at the end -- too much reading between the lines , imo, for the fans to discern if she was talking about them, his marriage, the hospital, all of that or what??   But then and again, I'm still trying to wrap my  head around their "relationship"--coming out of left field--as I didn't see that coming.  I truly thought they were friends/colleagues - didn't see the romance at all.

The convicted murder saves the day and then his epiphantic moment to humbly state, "I just want to be better".  

Doctors stuck in  elevator (never seen or remembered the neurologist) with Dr. P giving directions through the elevator.  Once the power was restored, why didn't they just push the button and get off at the floor to continue to help the resident.  But we know why - she could do this without his help which bolstered her confidence!

I don't know - maybe after this 3-4 week hiatus, it seemed odd to pick up/continue from the snowstorm (especially the guy that had the spike in his chest!)   I don't remember anyone being in a life-death scenario at the end of that last episode--except Max and Helen--and I'm still a bit confused, LOL!

• Love 7

I know tv has to bring they drama to be interesting.  But NA decided that you can never have too much.

I mean, the last episode they had Iggy go out on the roof to check with weather-o-meter thingy without a coat.  Of course the door closed shut behind him.  And of course he has no phone

Now in this one of course the generator doesn't kick on and of course the guy fixing it gets electrocuted and of course the only other person who can fix it is a murderer/felon who needs his cuffs off and the plans to the building to fix it.  LOL. 

And of course someone gets stuck in an elevator who needs to talk someone else through a risky procedure.  Also I guess the elevators in NA don't have an ARD?  That safety device that automatically moves the elevator to the closest floor and opens the doors in the case of a power outage?

I am not gonna lie, even so it was entertaining.  I actually liked Kapoor making the other doctor (have we seen him before?) massage his foot.

Also have we seen that young doctor with the stroked mother before?  She was good, but who are these people?

The Max/Helen conversation was a masterpiece of double speak.  Of course they were talking about their feelings for each other but the show is trying to be clever about it.  They said everything without actually saying anything.  Max had the extra puppy eyes going ("what if I want you?").  All sorts of feelings spewing out on that roof.  It was meant to appease both the shippers (SEE ALL THE SUBTEXT) and the anti-shippers (SEE THEY NEVER ACTUALLY SAID THEY WANTED EACH OTHER!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, cathmed said:

The ads for this episode kept calling it extraordinary;

I learned when they made a big deal about all the Chicago shows (Fire/PD/Med) being on the same night and what an extraordinary night of television it would be...that NBC and I have very different definitions of the word "extraordinary."

The convicted murder saves the day and then his epiphantic moment to humbly state, "I just want to be better".  

I couldn't decide if he meant he wanted to be a better person or just that he wanted whatever medical issue had him at the hospital in the first place to get better (all I know is he was stuck in an MRI machine when the power went out; I have no idea why he was getting an MRI).

Doctors stuck in  elevator (never seen or remembered the neurologist) with Dr. P giving directions through the elevator.

I was afraid they were gonna have a "person stuck in elevator tries to climb out just as it moves and gets injured" thing...I blame Grey's Anatomy for that one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I was afraid they were gonna have a "person stuck in elevator tries to climb out just as it moves and gets injured" thing...I blame Grey's Anatomy for that one.

Six Feet Under has the corner on that market.  Grey’s doesn’t come close. (Warning: GORY)

Edited by Trillian
Trying not to traumatise the unsuspecting
45 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Six Feet Under has the corner on that market.  Grey’s doesn’t come close.

Ugh, why did I just watch that? (I didn't watch Six Feet Under.)

34 minutes ago, preeya said:

Best elevator death, although not gory, was on L.A. Law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8FIbuoWPY

Lol, I was a little young for that one (wikipedia says L.A. Law premiered about 2 weeks before my 11th birthday).

10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also have we seen that young doctor with the stroked mother before?  She was good, but who are these people?

We've definitely seen her before.  I don't think she's ever gotten a name before, though.

I really liked the moment when the elevator door closed, and she was on her own.  It was nice seeing her having faith in herself.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ugh, why did I just watch that? (I didn't watch Six Feet Under.)

Lol, I was a little young for that one (wikipedia says L.A. Law premiered about 2 weeks before my 11th birthday).

I was 8 (according to Wikipedia) and remember watching LA Law with the 'rents.   

I completely agree about just piling on and piling on.  

Did they not have formula anywhere in the hospital?  Because I know the other floors had no power but shouldn't somebody have been able to run down to the baby floor and grab some?  Are all those babies brought up from the NICU drinking pumped milk?   

Edited by bybrandy
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I know tv has to bring they drama to be interesting.  But NA decided that you can never have too much.

I mean, the last episode they had Iggy go out on the roof to check with weather-o-meter thingy without a coat.  Of course the door closed shut behind him.  And of course he has no phone

Now in this one of course the generator doesn't kick on and of course the guy fixing it gets electrocuted and of course the only other person who can fix it is a murderer/felon who needs his cuffs off and the plans to the building to fix it.  LOL. 

And of course someone gets stuck in an elevator who needs to talk someone else through a risky procedure.  Also I guess the elevators in NA don't have an ARD?  That safety device that automatically moves the elevator to the closest floor and opens the doors in the case of a power outage?

I am not gonna lie, even so it was entertaining.  I actually liked Kapoor making the other doctor (have we seen him before?) massage his foot.

The Max/Helen conversation was a masterpiece of double speak.  Of course they were talking about their feelings for each other but the show is trying to be clever about it.  They said everything without actually saying anything.  Max had the extra puppy eyes going ("what if I want you?").  All sorts of feelings spewing out on that roof.  It was meant to appease both the shippers (SEE ALL THE SUBTEXT) and the anti-shippers (SEE THEY NEVER ACTUALLY SAID THEY WANTED EACH OTHER!)

I believe we saw young doctor in the episode where Kapoor wasted like 8 hours in the ER talking to a patient.

Also, with the generator, uhhhhhh, why the hell didn't they have it replaced after Sandy?

3 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I completely agree about just piling on and piling on.  

Did they not have formula anywhere in the hospital?  Because I know the other floors had no power but shouldn't somebody have been able to run down to the baby floor and grab some?  Are all those babies brought up from the NICU drinking pumped milk?   

They said they tried to give fomula to the baby but it wouldn't drink it.

• Love 2
On 4/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, mojito said:

Yeah, you gotta let go of logic and knowledge with these dramas. It's hard. I'm still working through it myself.

I'm not sure I can keep watching.  Some of the medical stuff is just utterly ridiculous.  People walking in and out of supposed-sterile ERs in street clothes with no masks, etc.  (and this happens all the time on this show when there's NO blizzard).  Also, the guy with the spike in his chest is practically sitting up, not connected to any tubes or even, in ICU, after that surgery???  I can suspend logic for a bit but this is just ridiculous.  Not sure the story lines can keep me interested enough to ignore all the medical gaffes.  Surely someone could do a better job at at least making it look semi-believable.

• Love 2

This episode has to be the new "jump the shark" episode of recent times.  SOOO ridiculous.

Max is getting more and more annoying each moment. "I can't choose. I won't choose."  More head tilts, more puppy-dog eyes …

Hurray for Helen saying that she will then make the decisions. I loved her calling him out on his shenanigans.  On a shallow note, she was rocking her scarf and coat.

that mom that had just given birth was wearing blue jeans?

I saw this too. There is no way. Bad job, costume person.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I don't think my parents watched it. I do remember watching Dallas, which started when I was 3.

• Love 1

Of all the ridiculousness to pick from, I think for me the Helen and Max nonsense has to be the cherry on the sundae.  Why all the manufactured angst out of absolutely nothing?  Are they trying to eviscerate two lead characters that could be perfectly watchable as simply coworkers and doctor/patient? 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Of all the ridiculousness to pick from, I think for me the Helen and Max nonsense has to be the cherry on the sundae.  Why all the manufactured angst out of absolutely nothing?  Are they trying to eviscerate two lead characters that could be perfectly watchable as simply coworkers and doctor/patient? 

I agree.  And, out of all three, she thinks she's solving it by choosing not to be his doctor?  That decision surprised me.  

• Love 2
On 4/12/2019 at 3:02 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

This episode has to be the new "jump the shark" episode of recent times.  SOOO ridiculous.

Max is getting more and more annoying each moment. "I can't choose. I won't choose."  More head tilts, more puppy-dog eyes …

Hurray for Helen saying that she will then make the decisions. I loved her calling him out on his shenanigans.  On a shallow note, she was rocking her scarf and coat.

I saw this too. There is no way. Bad job, costume person.

The mother said she was discharged as her insurance didn't cover a longer stay

• Love 1
7 hours ago, maya1959 said:

I think the issue is more "how does she feel comfortable in jeans a few days after giving birth, as jeans are constrictive, or if it was a c section or a vaginal birth, she would not be comfortable in jeans"

• Love 4
On 4/11/2019 at 7:36 PM, catrice2 said:

I knew they would not really address anything.  I didn't even bother to watch the whole episode and the comments confirm I missed nothing. 

Me too!  I watched the last two episodes from PVR. It took me 2 days to watch them as I wasn’t paying attention so I would rewind to make sure I didn’t miss anything important. I realized they were just really dumb and boring episodes and I was wasting my time. This show went from surprisingly good to I can’t watch one minute more in one season. 

I don't think the attraction was sudden.  I have watched soaps and then the tv dramas for years. To me, the "attraction" was there from the first meeting.  In fact, I remember thinking that was going to be the "couple" until I realized that he was married. I guess people see different things. 

• Love 9
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, maya1959 said:

There is a federal law in place that allows all women a 2 day stay for a vaginal birth and 4 for a cesarean delivery.  Insurance companies don't have any say in the matter.  And, unless it was those 'pajama jeans' in stretchy fabric with an elastic waist, most newly postpartum women wouldn't be wearing jeans at all.

In other words, once again, this show gets it wrong.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:13 AM, doodlebug said:

There is a federal law in place that allows all women a 2 day stay for a vaginal birth and 4 for a cesarean delivery.  Insurance companies don't have any say in the matter.  And, unless it was those 'pajama jeans' in stretchy fabric with an elastic waist, most newly postpartum women wouldn't be wearing jeans at all.

In other words, once again, this show gets it wrong.

She may have been admitted wearing maternity jeans.  

There may be a federal law with those requirements, but my insurance certainly didn't fess up to it, so you have to know the law.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Brookside said:

She may have been admitted wearing maternity jeans.  

There may be a federal law with those requirements, but my insurance certainly didn't fess up to it, so you have to know the law.

As far as I know, there is no such federal law. I think some states have laws about that, though

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:43 AM, bros402 said:

As far as I know, there is no such federal law. I think some states have laws about that, though

There is indeed a federal law mandating length of stay for maternity patients.  48 hours for a vaginal birth and 96 for a cesarean.  A woman may choose to leave sooner, but neither the hospital nor her insurance company can refuse to let her stay that long.  I've practice obstetrics in the US since 1982, I know whereof I speak.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/final-maternity-length-of-stay-rules-published.aspx

ETA: The law was signed by Bill Clinton and I participated in local events advertising it starring no less than First Lady Hillary (who was very nice, I might add).

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

There is indeed a federal law mandating length of stay for maternity patients.  48 hours for a vaginal birth and 96 for a cesarean.  A woman may choose to leave sooner, but neither the hospital nor her insurance company can refuse to let her stay that long.  I've practice obstetrics in the US since 1982, I know whereof I speak.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/final-maternity-length-of-stay-rules-published.aspx

ETA: The law was signed by Bill Clinton and I participated in local events advertising it starring no less than First Lady Hillary (who was very nice, I might add).

Ahhh - I couldn't find anything during a quick 2:40 AM google. Thanks

I finally got around to watching this episode, my interest in this show is nearly gone at this point.  Just need to comment on the completely made-up postpartum scenario.  I believe they said the woman had an amniotic fluid embolus which lead to a blockage in a blood vessel in her brain and resultant stroke and paralysis.  There is such a thing as amniotic fluid embolus, it is a life threatening complication of childbirth.  It is also exceedingly rare and absolutely nothing that they portrayed on the show was accurate.  Not the timing, not the symptoms, not the complication, not the treatment.  I almost laughed out loud when the ER doc used the syringe to pull yellow fluid out of the patient's brain which I guess was supposed to be amniotic fluid.  Except it didn't look like amniotic fluid, there was no reason to think she had an AFE based on her condition and that was not the treatment for it anyway.  Nor, if she had an AFE, would the fluid be sitting in a blood vessel and never mixing with the rest of her blood.  You don't have to be a doctor to know what would happen if two liquids are mixed together. The whole thing was total fantasy and had no relation to real medicine.  As for a neurologist trapped in an elevator diagnosing it without examining the patient and ruling out at least a half dozen more likely diagnoses?  Not hardly.

• Love 2