Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Serpent

There was ALOT going on in this episode.

what Penny23 what?!! What is it?!!

Who did Penny40 see? I'm still wanting that. 

Q didn't actually get to EAT the quesadilla.  A little misleading in that summary show. 

Still not feeling Josh and Margo. And really didn't care about Alice learning to accept herself. Besides the binder I thought that part was a waste of time. Except for that creepy grin mousy Alice had. What was that about?

OMG I actually clapped and said "yay! Out loud in my living room by myself when I saw that next week is the musical episode.  This show makes me a total geek.

Edited by MissL
Had another thought
  • Love 4

RIP Quentin's quesadilla. 

So much to unpack. I don't even know where to begin.

I loved the Filory storyline. Margo giving up her throne to save her best friend. Fen's unwilling coup. Josh's adorable awesomeness. The return of the bunny-grams. I love how this show teases something (like the coup) then turns it on its head. I had theorized it would be a fake coup to find a traitor or something. I loved Margo telling everyone to be nice to Fen on her way out.

Quentin didn't do much except drop his quesadilla (hee) but I love how the tension continues to build and i loved how he refused to give up.

It was good to see Eliot! And I enjoyed Penny getting to use his psychic powers. Whatever was happening in that field was not pleasant. 

The moment with Zelda and Kady was awesome. This show does such a good job combining different characters and getting real content out of it. I, honestly, didn't care as much about Alice's internal struggle but I did enjoy having her be more integrated into the story. Loved the bombshell at the end. 

I honestly don't know how they wrap this season up but I am in.

Edited by The Companion
Typo correction (my autocorrect refuses to recognize Margo's name).
  • Love 5

"Fen, I curse your family name! But you should all also listen to her! And be nice to her!" I love how the whole coup went down, and how unwilling Fen was to go along with it, and Margo insisting that she do it so she can go and get help for Elliot, and her trying to still help Fen even as she got dragged out. This show always takes the weirdest, most interesting turns, I love it. 

Glad that Penny40 got to use his psychic powers, AND that we got to see Elliot again! Even for just a second, it was such a wonderful second. I love the stuff with the Monster, but I love Elliot and I miss him so much. He needs to come back to he and Q can have an adorable first date in the non Fillory world! This must happen!

The Monster is always scary, but he was especially terrifying when he was looking at the scene with the sacrifice in his memory. He just had those horrible, dead eyes mixed with his voice going deeper and deeper. Especially when he went to Elliot again, being all Elliot about stuff, the change was super, horribly obvious.  

Poor Quentin just looks so miserable and uncomfortable around the Monster, like he is always stuck between curling into a ball and crying and just throttling the monster himself, if it didnt mean hurting Elliot. And he didnt even get to eat his quesadilla. It was sweet that he seemed to get the first bunny possible to Fillory to let everyone there know that Elliot was alive. 

Harriet is back now too! And the Library is even more sketchy than we thought, and we thought they were pretty sketchy to begin with. She and Zelda are so great together, glad they were reunited. The scene between Zelda and Kady was great too, this show is so great at never forgetting the relationships between characters and their pasts, even supporting and minor characters who haven't had much actual interaction. I love how much they mix up characters and interactions and how they all work so well just based around characterization.

The Alice figures she shit out stuff is alright, and I do like her character development, even if she isnt my favorite. I feel bad for her, even when she gets on my nerves. She is such a necrotic mess plagued with self doubt and guilt that seeing her try to get herself back together is at least not as depressing as some of her other plots have been.

Pete of all people has been a real team player lately, hope he makes it out alright. 

Musical episode next week! Oh yeah baby!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

How can they leave me on a cliffhanger like that? I need to know what the Monster is really planning but based on next week being Margo's musical episode (yay!) I don't think we will find out for another week. But I'm glad we have this little warning that it's bad because for a second I wondered if were supposed to be a bit sympathetic to the Monster based on that memory of the sacrifice. 

When Alice split in two and one went into what looked like the Library I thought this was the beginning of Cassandra. 

Of course the Library is behind the blood worm. They suck and it didn't make sense that hedges would suddenly turn on each other. Kady is the new Marina but where did the old Marina go? 

My heart broke for Margo getting banished forever from Fillory. This better lead to something that helps her save Eliot. Also yay she finally knows!

I wonder if we will ever swing back around to the Macalister threat.

• Love 1

Margo is a badass, and I love that about her.  But this episode I got to see her smile.  It seemed like it had been ages.  She found out Eliot is alive, she and Josh banged, she even seemed happy and relaxed when parting from Josh.  Nice to see happy Margo and her radiant smile.

I have We Belong on my mp3 player.

And WTF with that cliffhanger, show????

• Love 1

Okay so remind me - Penny23 can still do magic, right? Penny40 was the Penny that couldn't do magic because of his hands... 

Penny23 and Julia had a moment and I almost believed it just because Penny could have chemistry with a freaking wall. 

Are the magic tattoos that the library was peddling trackers or something? I'm still a little iffy on that part. And if Zelda is Head Librarian what is Everett's actual job title? 

Margo is still a boss ass bitch and she looked so beautiful getting ready to start out on her quest to the desert. 

Kady also looked badass with her hair pulled up. Totally the new Marina. We never did find out what happened to the old Marina23 that Kady cursed though. Oooh, loose threads....

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Glory said:

Margo is still a boss ass bitch and she looked so beautiful getting ready to start out on her quest to the desert. 

Kady also looked badass with her hair pulled up. Totally the new Marina. We never did find out what happened to the old Marina23 that Kady cursed though. Oooh, loose threads....

Totally agree on both of them looking awesome. I covet Margo's hair and I loved the cool threaded metal rivet thing that was happening on Kady's hair.  The costumes, hair and makeup on this show deserve a ton of credit. It's obvious when they do creature make-ups, but there is a lot of consistency and subtlety in all of their work. 

Speaking of a win for the costume department, I love Eliot's "Winosaur shirt." Hee.

I thought Marina23 came back with Penny23 and planned to seek out her girlfriend. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I thought Olivia Taylor Dudley owned this episode. Her Alternate Alice made me realize how good she is at being regular Alice. She's sort of like Jason Ralph that way. They play such broken, insecure characters with such ease it makes it seem like they aren't even acting. Until you see them play something else, that is. Then you realize they've been acting their asses off the whole time. I'm not even a big Alice fan but the actress is impressive.

And I got a huge kick out of Kady clocking her so she could get past her issue with her.

I can't figure out if Hale Appleman shot all of his scenes as the "real" Eliot at the beginning of the season or the end of the season because his hair seems so much shorter than "monster" Eliot's. 

Hated the cliff-hanger though. Grr.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Glory said:

Are the magic tattoos that the library was peddling trackers or something?

I thought they were tattoos that prevented you from doing any type of magic at all, even by accident. This way the ear worms would never activate and kill you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

When Alice split in two and one went into what looked like the Library I thought this was the beginning of Cassandra. 

Of course the Library is behind the blood worm. They suck and it didn't make sense that hedges would suddenly turn on each other. Kady is the new Marina but where did the old Marina go? 

I thought Cassandra too.

Could Marina be the person Penny40 greeted at the elevator?  That cliffhanger is also still open.

51 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I thought Cassandra too.

Could Marina be the person Penny40 greeted at the elevator?  That cliffhanger is also still open.

I was wondering whether the person Penny greeted might be the girl (whose name escapes me at the moment) who died when they both went to the poison room, and who he later gave the metro pass to so that she could escape the underworld level she was at. I'm thinking that it's possible that even though she got to catch up with the rest of her family, whatever contract she had with the library might still be in effect...The way he greeted whoever it was seemed more like someone he was not too surprised to see, all things considered, and who he had a somewhat casually friendly relationship with.

• Love 1

Once again, a good episode.

Why can I stand Alice so much better when she's not... completely Alice? Also, as a fellow big boobed woman, I simply don't get her choices in tops. 
That part of the episode dragged a bit, but I was still glad Harriet and Zelda could reuinte. Someone on this show deserves a repairable mother/daughter relationhip.

I never thought I'd like Fen as much as I do now and I just loved how Margo did everything in this episode. And I think Josh is there just the right amount of time. I feel like if he got more, he'd probably become annoying really quick, but like this I can totally root for him and Margo tbh. Don't stone me, but I think I like these three together even more than Margo/Eliot/Fen. Margo desperately needed friends other than Eliot in my opinion and she settled in well with these two (even with the giant Eliot shaped hole in her life).

Apropos rooting for a pairing... definitely rooting for Penny23 and Julia at this point. I don't know, I never hated Penny40 and Kady or anything, but they also didn't make me go "Aaaaaaw" when they're together on screen (or hurt when they had drama, which 23/Julia didn't have so far, so I can't compare).

Monster backstory! Wonder if the most important part of that memory was actually the girl? As in, either it used to be the girl or maybe her sibling, hiding in the bushes?

ALSO wonder if it keeps being all touchy feely with Q because that's a tiny part of Eliot seepng through (like with the booze) aka maybe the Monster always takes a few things from its host body? Oooooor it just realized how much Q flinches when it does it or that it hurts him a lot and the Monster just finds it super entertaining. Maybe both. He's definitely very fixed on Q, though. He's probably switch between him and Margo if she was there so I'm super excited to see what happens when she inevitably pops back up after her journey to find a solution.

Side note: I do think Julia knows that Q is more in "save potential love interest" than "save friend" mode, but I wonder if Penny and Alice are also starting to get a clue after than scene in the library?

And to the other Library... well. No one was really surprised by that twist, but I'm glad Zelda isn't part of it. I'm kind of fond of her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Azi said:

Also, as a fellow big boobed woman, I simply don't get her choices in tops.

As a fellow member of the Ample Bosom Association, I don't understand her choice in skirts. They pick the ones that poof out in the back and make her look like she's got a huge rear end. It's not even bell shaped! Flat in front and POOF in back. It seems an odd choice.

Edited by Zanne
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Zanne said:

As a fellow member of the Ample Bosom Association, I don't understand her choice in skirts. They pick the ones that poof out in the back and make her look like she's got a huge rear end. It's not even bell shaped! Flat in front and POOF in back. It seems an odd choice.

Ha, I am a member of the ample bosom and rear end societies. Let us unite. I think I have said it before but I have always thought Alice's styling is a little too tight and a little too short on purpose. She comes from a household where there were often orgies, nudity and presumably revealing clothing, so it always seemed like an attempt to wear conservative clothing by someone whose frame of reference was skewed by her upbringing. In other words, her clothes are conservative and non revealing when compared to what she is used to, but may seem a little less conservative when compared to the real world. Even if that is true, I think it would be nice if they had her style evolve a bit. In the say Margo's clothes say Margo + fillory, it would be nice to see some visual character development for Alice. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Zanne said:

More boobs chiming in and so glad I'm not the only one that noticed the odd costume choices. I don't always like Alice the character but the actress is a pretty woman and the outfits aren't doing her any favors. The overall effect seems to be some heretofore impossible fusion of slutty and dowdy. 

Ah, I'm a little envious of my small breasted sisters who can wear anything they want with no trouble from the girls.

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Glory said:

Penny23 and Julia had a moment and I almost believed it just because Penny could have chemistry with a freaking wall. 

I was just coming here to say that. I've never seen AG in anything else, but I could watch him make out with anyone and totally buy it. 

I've always loved Margo/Janet's desert story from the books and was wondering when they'd get to it on the show. Can't wait to see how they do it. I knew they were going there the second they called the lizard a "sand lizard." So glad they're linking it to the quest to save Elliot. 

• Love 2

Margo: "Don't wait for me Josh."

Josh: "I probably will."

My coworker to me this morning: "Hee! Josh is you! Even the skinny hot brunette part is the same."

Me: [face palm] 

Anyway... I genuinely liked Alice splitting in two and how that played out. She needs that kind of thing to happen if she's ever going to become the person she is capable of becoming. And thank goodness that we are moving along the Julia story with the Binder just dropping in out of thin air. Nice thing about a show where magic is real, you can just move a story along by having something magically appear.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Nice way to move the stories along, close a couple of plots (Harriett returns), a full of cliffhangers.

Elliott was able to pass along key information to Penny23, Yay!

Alice will end up helping Julia, Yay!

Margo gets her desert quest, Yay!

It looks like Everett is putting a mole into the Hedge witches, giving that other librarian a hedge tattoo.  That must be how they got to the safe house.  Poor Peter, I hope they find a way to get the bloodworm out of him.

I guess Marina23 is satisfied being with her girlfriend40 so Kady can lead the hedges.  Zelda still needs to give Kady the box location.  and deal with Everett.  I wonder what Harriett needs to finish.

I'm not a fan of Alice too, though certainly with her issues, she and Q are really a pair.  Agree totally with her clothing choices.  Being on the shorter side with a large chest, the tops, the short waisted pouffy skirts, its all awful.  I'm sure its by design for the show though.  but someone needs to tell that girl how to dress.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:36 PM, MissL said:

OMG I actually clapped and said "yay! Out loud in my living room by myself when I saw that next week is the musical episode.  This show makes me a total geek.

There may or may not have been actual arms raised cheering in my house.  Only my dog could testify and he's been sworn to secrecy.

I love that a binder that has BINDER written on it just appeared.  Love this show!!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Did Marina come back from that other timeline? I can't remember if she did or not. 

Yes, Marina23 is now in the 40 timeline.  

I was under the impression that Penny40 was meeting a fairly recent dead person, but it wouldn't bother me if its a previously dead one.  I just figure if it was a prior person, it wouldn't be so secret who that person is.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I was under the impression that Penny40 was meeting a fairly recent dead person, but it wouldn't bother me if its a previously dead one.  I just figure if it was a prior person, it wouldn't be so secret who that person is.

Spoiler

My bet for the person in the elevator is Penny 23. Penny 40 alluded to some big thing he needed to do, and I can totally see it being sacrificing himself. At some point, they are going to have to consolidate the Pennys (Pennies? hee), because I don't see them having both remain part of the show forever. 

I have a theory but I put it in spoiler quotes since it is speculation. 

15 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

More boobs chiming in and so glad I'm not the only one that noticed the odd costume choices. I don't always like Alice the character but the actress is a pretty woman and the outfits aren't doing her any favors. The overall effect seems to be some heretofore impossible fusion of slutty and dowdy. 

Ah, I'm a little envious of my small breasted sisters who can wear anything they want with no trouble from the girls.

slutty librarian!  seriously her combo of little girl necklines with skin tight shirts and short skirts plus the little girl voice is making me uncomfortable. I wish they would mature her style.

• Love 4
On 3/22/2019 at 9:17 PM, chrisvee said:

slutty librarian!  seriously her combo of little girl necklines with skin tight shirts and short skirts plus the little girl voice is making me uncomfortable. I wish they would mature her style.

Jup. If she was wearing pants or long skirts, too I'd say this is because her parents have had orgies for her entire life or she doesn't feel comfortable showing skin (which I totally get), but like this it's the only character where I feel like she's dressed for the audience? Or at least a certain part of the audience? Meanwhile with Margo, who dresses very sexy a lot of the time, I just go "Jep, that's Margo". I guess that Alice is an awkward and insecure character, but most of the time, the styling choices miss the mark for me and I'm glad I could finally say it.

Rewatching some scenes and I'm wondering how much of the Monster is just Hale doing his thing? As in, is stuff like him patting Q on the head in the script or is it Hale going: "Well, let's pervert a thing that Eliot did to Q sometimes, because the Monster would totally do that for funsies!"? As much as I miss Eliot - and I do think it's a bit dragged out at this point and hope the pay-off will not disappoint - watching the actor do this character is a lot of fun.

Edited by Azi
When you realize you left out a name...
  • Love 6

It struck me during this episode that this is a season about putting yourself back together.

Alice has been putting herself back together since she hit rock bottom - first with her Mum and then her being reconciled to parts of herself she hates, Julia is putting herself back together since she lost her Godhood, wizards and hedges are putting themselves back together after losing magic, Elliot is putting himself back together since he lost himself, and even the Elliot monster (may be) attempting to put himself back together too. 

I honestly found this episode extremely profound in every plot line. 

• Love 2

On Alice's clothing choices - I really feel like the show is walking a fine line between characterisation and fan service.

But while I think her clothing is universally awful, in this case it shows that she is at war with herself: The sexual repression caused by her awful childhood and her own adulthood as a grown woman. Alice has always been at war with herself and this episode really exemplified it.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, AudienceofOne said:

On Alice's clothing choices - I really feel like the show is walking a fine line between characterisation and fan service.

But while I think her clothing is universally awful, in this case it shows that she is at war with herself: The sexual repression caused by her awful childhood and her own adulthood as a grown woman. Alice has always been at war with herself and this episode really exemplified it.

That is a really insightful read on the can't look away cluster of Alice's clothes as well as the discomfort she arouses in the viewer. Maybe the entire thing is intentional and is meant to evoke the discomfort we all feel. 

4 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

That is a really insightful read on the can't look away cluster of Alice's clothes as well as the discomfort she arouses in the viewer. Maybe the entire thing is intentional and is meant to evoke the discomfort we all feel. 

Right we’re getting this uncomfortable mix of childlike and hyper sexual which is rooted in her arrested development due to her upbringing in magical orgy central coupled with her brother’s early death 

• Love 1