Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E02: Auditions (2)

• Start Topic

Is there a rule that we're not supposed to be posting yet?  It feels very weird to be first.

Anyway, I'm interrupting my DVR-viewing to say that I don't know how "Eddie Island" isn't getting punched in the cock on a daily (hourly?) basis.  I found him insufferable all the way through, and that's before we even got to the actual "singing" and his godawful goat voice.  I mean, I didn't even hate Casey Abrams this quickly.  (I think I turned on Casey a little bit before he tried to make "Smells Like Teen Spirit" into a party anthem, but it wasn't back in the auditions, or anything like that.) What an annoying self-promoting faux-hipster jerk.  And how hard is it to spell "Liggett" (his actual surname), anyhow?

Next to him, Crazy Courtney wasn't so "extra" after all.  And while I'll surely tire of Relapse-Waiting-To-Happen Logan Johnson, he sang just fine.  And I'm even rooting for him to stay clean; I just don't think that AI is an environment conducive to his continued sobriety, I'm just saying. 

Now, back to the sob stories.  And maybe some singing, if that isn't too much to ask?

• Love 7

I was with Lionel Ritchie in tearing up during Shayy's performance. Dang, she was good. I liked her and Alejandro. I wish that Karli had gone through, though. I can understand she's young, but hell, that hasn't stopped other contestants, and she's talented, so... Go figure. 

That couple, though. Oh, boy. That was...something. Didn't like how they were knocking the pianist later on in the elevator. 

Also, I cannot hear "She Bangs" anymore without thinking of William Hung. 

• Love 4

At least, this way, the next time Karli's story won't be about "my mom was one of thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of rejected auditioneers".  Because that really wasn't impressing me in the heartstrings department, I have to say.

Ukelele Boy needs to learn to enunciate, although his playing was nice.  But I have no idea how that bulky busker who butchered "How Will I Know?" got one yes, never mind three.

"My name is Juan Pablo, I'm 26 years old…and my hair isn't going to last until 30."  Also very annoying…but unfortunately, he can actually sing.  And what is with all the no-surname contestants?  You're not Adele, people…give a proper name, damn it.  Plus, I'm so sick of the "Katy-has-a-crush" segments…she's in her mid-30s, she's been married, I'm pretty sure she's had sex.  So could we stop acting as if her being attracted to a contestant is something noteworthy?  No? Damn.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

At least, this way, the next time Karli's story won't be about "my mom was one of thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of rejected auditioneers".  Because that really wasn't impressing me in the heartstrings department, I have to say.

I'm just struck by the fact that this show's been on long enough to where a mom and her daughter have both auditioned for the show. I feel old :p. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Shayla Wynn, OTOH, has been through legitimate tragedy.  (Did she always have the wonky eye, or is that an effect of the tumor?) But I wish they had told her that "Rise Up" is a much better song when you don't try to speed through it in roughly 30 seconds…although, to be fair, I guess the judges couldn't really give her any "slow down" hand signals, given her circumstances.

But…and I hate to say it…I really wasn't that impressed with her voice.  Seemed thin and pinched, IMO.  Of course, the show can't really be seen* cutting the blind girl right out of the box, but it feels as though they're going to be exploiting her for a few shows and then quietly cutting her.  Made me uncomfortable, tbh.

(This pun was completely unintentional! Honest! Sorry about that.)

How did Sgt. Knowlton let Lionel get away with saying "No, sir" to him without unleashing the Official Non-Commissioned Officer Reply?  "'SIR'???  Do you SEE any metal on this uniform, soldier? Do I look like an officer to you, maggot? I WORK for a living!"  Very disappointing. 🙂  He sang well, though.

Ethan Payne tried well enough considering his CF, but, well…he's still got CF.  He probably could never make it through a full concert, and I'm sure they're never letting him in the Top 24, much less win, so I don't much see the point.  (And while I'm sure he enjoyed playing with Luke again, it's not as though he came off well in comparison.)  At least the show didn't do a cross-promotion with that Five Feet Apart CF-themed movie, so I guess that's good.

I refuse to write one more word about Catie Turner.  Or the Maddie/Caleb showmance, for that matter.  Out!

It's good that the couple has each other.  And that regional dinner theater exists.  But come on.  (Yes, blame the pianist.  THAT's the ticket, for sure!) 

(Oooh, Marc Blucas is in The Fix!  Yesss, give me some Riley, please!)

It would have been hilarious if Brokedown Taylor Hicks had passed out from lack of sleep in the green room.  But not to be.  And man, being homeless sucks…he's an old-looking 24.  He needs to write songs in his natural register; that one was too much breathy falsetto.  But he did it well.  Nicely talented. (Although IMO the picking was more flash than actual skill.) Likewise, on the piano, he needs to take it down a key…he must have side tones in his voice and I want to hear them, not just this whisper stuff.  But pretty damn good for only having picked up an instrument a few years ago.

(Forrest Gump is Luke's favorite movie? Trip, Luke, trip!)

Favorite musicians:  Trent Reznor, Chopin, and Bach.  Almost perfect.  (Bach is a touch obvious and common, IMO.  But still.) I can put up with a lot if there's more of this.

Coming Sunday: "he's like a country Justin Bieber."  So it's Re-Define "Ninth Circle of Hell" Night, is that what you're telling me?  Oooh-kay.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

And while I'll surely tire of Relapse-Waiting-To-Happen Logan Johnson, he sang just fine.  And I'm even rooting for him to stay clean; I just don't think that AI is an environment conducive to his continued sobriety, I'm just saying. 

They even told him, "you're going to Hollywood. There'll be a lot of temptation there."

23 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

Shayla Wynn, OTOH, has been through legitimate tragedy.  

<snip>

But…and I hate to say it…I really wasn't that impressed with her voice. 

Me neither.

And Lionel, "I love you to death" is not a good comment to make to someone whose prognosis is in question.

• Love 4

I think Courtney is even more annoying than her first time through.

Not fond of Logan's falsetto.

I like Eddie Island, personality and all.

This year's winner is going to be another country singer, aren't they?

Karly was more than a tad off key.

Dang, Juan Pablo killed it.

Shayy's voice is beautiful.

The little girl singing the national anthem was horrible.

Get on with the singing!

The kid with cystic fibrosis was very good.

Kimberley was wavery and off key. Bernie's voice was showy, but better.

Alejandro's personality is annoying. And his voice did nothing for me. Good guitar player, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

The only way I can watch this is to tape it and fast forward through the commercials and most of the inane silly stuff that takes up so much time. I want to like Katy Perry, but she can be so annoying and over the top that it's difficult to take. There were a few really good singers, but most of the ones they let go through were pretty mediocre. I'm old and not hip,so I was dismayed to see so many of the boys and men with that popular haircut where the sides and back are buzzcut and there's a pompadour of hair on top, and that includes Ryan Seacrest. It reminds me of the bizarre looks of men's haircuts during WW1. 🙁

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I'm just struck by the fact that this show's been on long enough to where a mom and her daughter have both auditioned for the show. I feel old :p. 

When the show was still on FOX (one of the seasons in Jennifer Lopez's second run), the teenage son of season 1 third-place finisher Nikki McKibbin got a golden ticket (I think Harry said no).  I'm pretty sure he didn't actually made it to Hollywood because that was the season that they took everyone to an airplane hangar for more auditions and then put them on buses, with some contestants being sent back to the airport without getting to take part in Hollywood Week.  It looks like this was in season 13 in 2014.  I always wondered what Nikki's reaction was to that manufactured drama, as she seemed pretty invested in her son's audition (she was in the room, mouthing the words, etc.).

• Love 3

I was going to give it a "no, thanks", but I forgot to reset my DVR, so--let me answer this:

Anyway, I'm interrupting my DVR-viewing to say that I don't know how "Eddie Island" isn't getting punched in the cock on a daily (hourly?) basis.

Two possibilities:  1.  He turns it up for the camera/audition.  2.  People around him know something is wrong, so they stay away (just like if I were in the DC Universe, I wouldn't live in Gotham City.)  Or maybe we're just lazy.

I wasn't as excited about the last person as i was about Shay.  He was good enough; I just didn't see that he was The Best EVAHHH.

Someone should tell Katy Perry about nasal breathing strips (and possibly sleep apnea.)  If nine hours isn't enough, it might be an early warning sign.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Brokedown Taylor Hicks

Ah ha, I wasn't the only one to see that resemblance! I'm guessing they have a big makeover planned for this guy, based on how awful he looked here.

I assume after all that 'this is the best AI audition in the history of music!!!11' stuff that Alejandro will be top whatever, at least when only the judges are voting. He checks some boxes: Hispanic, modern/cool; but I'm having trouble seeing him as a big vote-getter in the live rounds. Very reserved, gruff persona so far.

My favorite in this episode was the Drill Sergeant, for me he was better than the country guys we've seen so far. He played along with the judges really well, too. (Luke is the only one who can do more than one push up)?

I'm fascinated by the way Katy P. can wear so much metallic eye makeup without her eyelids breaking out, which is what mine do.

• Love 1

This season is absolutely terrible IMO. I can barely stand it.  I keep my finger on the fast-forward button and only watch the actual singing. This means I can watch a 2-hour episode in about 25 minutes.  I cannot stand the banter between the judges. I don't think they have any natural chemistry at all. Lionel Ritchie is fine, but Katie Perry is just horrid. I find her so unappealing. She is not funny, she tries to be overly-dramatic and always fails when she tries, and I hate her attempts to flirt with the contestants.  

There is so much filler. I loathe the extended back-stories.  I never watch these on any singing shows. A person only becomes interesting to me once I hear and like their voice. 

I'm actually surprised they're still keeping AI on at this point. 

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Brokedown Taylor Hicks 

What was going on with his demeanour?  What is that?  Depression, drugs?  I found it fascinating.  Never met a person who acts like that before. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Maybe I bumped my head but I actually liked the second generation tryout and I thought her song showed signs of a good storyteller.  This show needs at least one judge who is a behind-the-scenes person a la Cowell or Iovine to really be the heavy.  That's the secret ingredient to AI v1.0's success.

• Love 3

It's nice to see that the posters in the American Idol threads are just as willing to shit on the show as the America's Got Talent posters. I watch the episodes on Wednesday and Thursday because that's when they aired in the past, ya know, back when the show was actually good. Watching yesterday's, I thought the show was pretty decent, probably because the Stockholm Syndrome I developed with these shows many seasons ago had yet to fully awaken. After playing episode 2, I was wriggling in my seat, wanting the torture to end.

I'll just comment on any notable contestants:

Courtney Penry - I remember her auditioning back in 2011, mainly because I remember being annoyed at the video package of "I love Ryan Seacrest" complete with slow motion greyscale clips of Ryan smiling, as if people are supposed to find this type of judge/host infatuation thing funny (yet again) - does anyone under 500 pounds find it funny? Really doubt it. She sang alright, but is forgettable, especially without a gimmick or disability.

Logan Johnson - Never forget, him being addicted and having crying family members deliver a pre-written speech on camera matters much more than the singing. After just 10 minutes into the show, I'm in need of a few painkillers. The song choice was appropriate, since we'll be hearing about his addiction until he's eliminated. I could not be moved by the song, since Demi Lovato is one of the most irritating celebrities of all time, if you ever watched X Factor years ago.

Eddie Island - He was good, since he's a rare breed of being charismatic while not being annoying. He'll probably be around for a while, since American Idol doesn't always prioritize vocal ability when making the Top 10, so much as overall marketability.

Kason Lester - You know he's a country boy when he has a name that shows up as a grammatical error when typed out. He seemed annoyed by Katy, which is a sign of healthy brain functionality.

Juan Pablo - Good God, this segment felt like it was half an hour. He has a good voice, which I want to hear more of, but he himself is pretty annoying. I don't care if anyone sings in Spanish, but any contestant who does turns the segment into a 20 minute IRL Rosetta Stone course with the judges' incessant rolling of r's "Am I doin that right?". What a headache.

Shayy - "y" the extra letter on her name? Don't know. Sob stories have never worked on me, even if they are sad or unfortunate, it's a damn singing show, so the 10 minute vignettes of making glum faces into the distance doesn't build rapport, it just makes it harder to enjoy the singing.

Landen Knowlton - For real, does anyone find this "gimme pushups!" routine to be amusing? It's a broad question for any of these segments of "look how random the judges are!", I can't ever recall laughing at any of them, because either the enjoyment of the singing is dampened or the show just becomes all about the judges. It's more so the case on America's Got Talent, which is a show I've complained about a lot (still looking forward to the new season, though!)

Ethan Payne - I can already see him getting cut before the top 24. Not really much to say about the audition, since there has been so much country in just 2 episodes, it's crazy. If I didn't think every country musician had the same voice before, I definitely do now.

Alejandro Aranda - It was a good audition, though I think the guitar playing was more worthy of praise than the singing. It seems like the excess asskissing was just to pad out the final few minutes of the show.

Overall, the show has been very boring thus far. The judges are extremely annoying, especially Katy, who has yet to learn that making pained grunts doesn't count as comedy. I feel like every contestant who walks in there is told by producers to pretend to know who Lionel Ritchie is; most of the contestants are only a few years younger than me and had I not watched a 80s playlist show on MTV, I would definitely not be familiar with any of his catalog, though I still knew who he was long before that. IMO Katy was successful with Teenage Dream and completely fell off a cliff after that, since her past 2 albums have been complete garbage. I hate sounding like a teenage girl, but she's pretty irrelevant in the pop world now and has been for a few years.

Like other people have echoed, the auditions from different cities being mashed together is stupid, though I've thought for a long time that the auditions are by far the weakest part of the show. You don't get to feel any sort of familiarity with the contestants until group rounds are over and any sort of novelty from "hilariously bad" contestants auditioning has been severely toned down in the past few years. It seems Ryan's interaction with the contestants during auditions has been trimmed by a lot. Obviously Ryan plays a bigger part when the later rounds start, but right now, he barely feels part of the show. I hope auditions end soon, because the second episode felt like it was 4 hours.

• Love 2

I found nothing extra special about Sleepless in Seattle Alejandro and his guitar pickin'. "Greatest audition," my Aunt Fanny!

If the producers want to showcase an Hispanic,  I highly recommend they recruit the lead singer of The Tracks.

CF Singer was a leettle too arrogant.  

Okay,  I teared up for Shayy. You go, girl! Rise up!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, Silver Raven said:

This year's winner is going to be another country singer, aren't they?

NEW country...Big difference than COUNTRY.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, Silver Raven said:

Alejandro's personality is annoying.

I told my husband I think Alejandro might be on the spectrum. He had trouble making eye contact and just seemed to be very introverted. Then again, maybe he is not on the spectrum at all - and just an introvert. All that being said, I think he is very talented but he doesn't have the personality to be "famous" and again, although talented, I don't think his style of music is going to be sought after.

That Island guy - Ugh. He has that fake affected vibrato or whatever it's called. You hear women doing it all the time and it just makes me think they have no originality of their own when they do that fake singing style. 

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

IMO Katy was successful with Teenage Dream and completely fell off a cliff after that, since her past 2 albums have been complete garbage. I hate sounding like a teenage girl, but she's pretty irrelevant in the pop world now and has been for a few years.

I'm always amused by how Katy decided she could prosper by "feuding" with Taylor Swift and mocked her with the Super Bowl performance (knowing that Taylor could never counter that, since the Super Bowl show is Pepsi-sponsored and Taylor's a Diet Coke endorser), only to not exactly win the "diss track" battle that followed:

Taylor:  "Bad Blood" (specifically about Katy), reaches #1

Katy:  "Swish, Swish" (all about Taylor), peaks at…#46.  (I'm actually surprised; I thought it didn't get past #50.)

Taylor: "Look What You Made Me Do" (lots of targets, including herself, but a definite mocking of Katy and her car crash [holding the Grammy Katy has never actually won] in the video), #1 again.

Plowhands shouldn't pull on number one guns, to steal a line from David Gerrold.  (And yes, I know Katy still has more #1s overall, but even so.)

KATY PERRY (at a concert):  Who's your favorite singer?

SEVEN-YEAR-OLD GIRL (shyly):  Katy Perry

KATY PERRY (mock relief): Oh, thank God!  I thought you were going to say…that other girl.

I will never forgive Katy for using that little girl as a prop in her (attention-seeking) "feud".  But JMO.

2 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I'm always amused by how Katy decided she could prosper by "feuding" with Taylor Swift and mocked her with the Super Bowl performance (knowing that Taylor could never counter that, since the Super Bowl show is Pepsi-sponsored and Taylor's a Diet Coke endorser), only to not exactly win the "diss track" battle that followed:

Taylor:  "Bad Blood" (specifically about Katy), reaches #1

Katy:  "Swish, Swish" (all about Taylor), peaks at…#46.  (I'm actually surprised; I thought it didn't get past #50.)

Taylor: "Look What You Made Me Do" (lots of targets, including herself, but a definite mocking of Katy and her car crash [holding the Grammy Katy has never actually won] in the video), #1 again.

Plowhands shouldn't pull on number one guns, to steal a line from David Gerrold.  (And yes, I know Katy still has more #1s overall, but even so.)

I will never forgive Katy for using that little girl as a prop in her (attention-seeking) "feud".  But JMO.

And Taylor Swift wasn't a willing participant?  She loves shade, it gives her more songs to write.

• Love 5

I'm kind of shocked at how everyone is annoyed at the judges antics and things going on other than singing because I think this show is kind of the same as it's always been. I must be a party of one because I just prefer this format over the slick Voice production. And I find the coaches just as annoying on that show, so that' a wash.  I kind of like that I get to know some of the contestants right out of the gate and that they aren't as polished. But maybe it's just me......

That being said, Alejandro was not the greatest idol audition ever. Not even close. He was a great guitar player, good pianist, and ok singer. I liked his low key personality.

I also liked Shayy.

Girl whose mom auditioned before was good enough to get through, but I took Katy's "she might be a superstar in five years but not today" as a hint that maybe they are moving away from so many young teens as has been happening the past few cycles (and I am counting the Fox version as well.). Other than CF kid, it doesn't seem like there have been as many teenagers being shown this year. I am definitely happy about that!

• Love 4

OT-ish:

3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

And Taylor Swift wasn't a willing participant? 

Well, Taylor's motivations remain known only to herself, just as Katy's do.  Objectively, though, it was Katy who chose to initiate the feud (by loaning Taylor her backup dancers for Taylor's tour, then changing her mind and calling them back in the middle of things) and Katy who took it up a notch (by doing the Super Bowl performance, after Taylor had hinted that "Bad Blood" was about Katy in a Rolling Stone interview, without giving any details;  TS also said that she'd been wondering if "somebody" had been subtly shading her for years).  And as Katy is the one who's relevant here, I felt it was more on point to discuss her actions, rather than anyone else's.  But JMO.

10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

[Taylor] loves shade, it gives her more songs to write.

Perhaps, but there's always the question of whether she'd rather have those particular stimuli.  I mean, clearly she was righteously pissed at John Mayer ("Dear John", the song which led The Guardian to ask "Did we really need a seven-minute song about how John Mayer is a dick to know that John Mayer is a dick?" [Hey, it's only 6.45!]), but while she got her "revenge" via the song, I doubt that while she was getting hurt she was all, "goodie, now I can write a song about this!" And while TS might have enjoyed taking her shots at Katy, IMO she seemed completely worn out with the Kim Kardashian issue that led to "Look What You Made Me Do", the success of the song aside.

(Personally, I thought Taylor was over-sensitive there; I mean if you're feuding with Kim Kardashian, haven't you pretty much "won" by default, given that the other person is…Kim Kardashian? Take Kim as the walking joke she is and laugh it off, I say. But obviously, I'm not Taylor…as our respective bank accounts will attest, unfortunately.  So JMO, here.)

37 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I'm kind of shocked at how everyone is annoyed at the judges antics and things going on other than singing because I think this show is kind of the same as it's always been.

Well, they've always milked a "story", but it used to be one or maybe two an episode.  In this one alone, we had Logan and Shayy and Alejandro (and, sort of, Karli); that's going to the well a bit too much, IMO.  Not to mention the Return of the Comedy Stylings of Crazy Courtney Penry.

And the sergeant.  I don't remember Randy Jackson ever being told to drop and do push-ups.  And Eddie Island.  And the comedy couple.  And yet another Katy's Krush segment.  (Or two, if you count Kason.)  By itself, I'd agree that each of these isn't that new…but it just seems like a LOT, taken altogether.  But JMO.

• Love 1

I detest background stories on all singing shows. 

I would much rather have them completely eliminated, and then, once they get to the final 12 or 14 or whatever, start showing some backstories. I would find them much more interesting once I had a chance to hear how good a singer is.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

And the sergeant.  I don't remember Randy Jackson ever being told to drop and do push-ups.  And Eddie Island.  And the comedy couple.  And yet another Katy's Krush segment.  (Or two, if you count Kason.)  By itself, I'd agree that each of these isn't that new…but it just seems like a LOT, taken altogether.  But JMO.

Randy might not have done pushups but there has always been a lot of filler in the audition rounds (Pants On the Ground anyone?!?). Perhaps there is more shenanigans with the judges because they are actually showing a lot less joke auditions than there used to be back in the day. I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. There is always fast forward, which is what I use when watching the Voice when the coaches are blowing smoke up every contestant's ass......

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Plowhands shouldn't pull on number one guns, to steal a line from David Gerrold.

I don't recall that line, but I'm very happy not to be the only one here who knows who David Gerrold is 🙂 .

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Alejandro is a bit edgier than Idol’s TPTB are letting him be portrayed on tv.

First of all, his social media handle is scarypoolparty. That sounds slightly punkish. And wearing a hat through the whole audition?  There are photos of him with various hair colorings, including neon blue and skunk-like. 

I’m not saying his persona is fake, just that they want to tamp down anything that might turn off the more conservative viewers right away.

Edited by Amy Beth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I'm kind of shocked at how everyone is annoyed at the judges antics and things going on other than singing because I think this show is kind of the same as it's always been.

I love the show, which is why I watch it.  However, there's a huge difference between original AI and the reboot.  They don't show bad auditions anymore.  It used to be the major highlight of the first few weeks.  Now there's maybe 5 minutes of bad auditions per episode.  So honestly, I personally miss that.

I love the judges too.  I love Katy Perry.  I love "365" and I don't care that it didn't chart at #1.  I couldn't care less about any of that.  She's marrying Legolas and she's getting paid $25 million for this gig, I don't feel bad for her.

However, if she is getting paid $25 million and everyone knows it, then I think it's really bad taste to make jokes about her yawning or falling asleep on the job.  I think that's really dumb.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I detest background stories on all singing shows. 

I would much rather have them completely eliminated, and then, once they get to the final 12 or 14 or whatever, start showing some backstories. I would find them much more interesting once I had a chance to hear how good a singer is.

I do agree with you, but that's a battle I've totally lost.  I just give into it now.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:00 AM, llewis823 said:

I told my husband I think Alejandro might be on the spectrum. He had trouble making eye contact and just seemed to be very introverted. Then again, maybe he is not on the spectrum at all - and just an introvert. All that being said, I think he is very talented but he doesn't have the personality to be "famous" and again, although talented, I don't think his style of music is going to be sought after. 

Whether or not he is on the spectrum is totally irrelevant. 

I like him - and his artist, musician vibe.  Refreshing from the usual Idol stereotypes. 

No one coming off the show these days is going to be famous.

• Love 3

Katy Perry is so awful, demanding attention like a toddler and having to look at Lionel and Luke to try to mimic how grownups actually react to things. Like sticking her tongue out at Lionel crying at Shayy, and then coming up with "You sing like an angel." Lionel tried to say that he and Katy were both crying, to act like she is a functioning emotional being, but that would have required Katy to look beyond herself for a second. So of course it didn't happen. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, twilightzone said:

No one coming off the show these days is going to be famous.

Yeah, but there's a thriving business in doing the national anthem for hockey games.  Pia Toscano must be sleeping with somebody in the LA Kings management, given how often she gets anthem duty there.  (It hasn't helped; they're having an awful season.)  Maddie Poppe got to relieve her for one game that I saw.

And Friday night's Carolina Hurricanes game saw Adam Lee Decker doing both the American and Canadian anthems, as the Winnipeg Jets were in town.  Adam was pretty poor, I thought: thin and scratchy and frequently flat.  Perhaps that's why Winnipeg put four goals past the 'Canes in the 1st period…revenge for having to endure Adam?  Okay, probably not.  But still.

(Apparently Adam is based in Raleigh these days and he and his "Adam Lee Decker Trio" sometimes perform at intermission during the Hurricanes games.  Not really sure that's an incentive for me to take the train up there to catch the action, I'll admit.  Although the trio was passable in the website clips, I'd allow.)

• Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 11:39 AM, Ilovepie said:

Simon used to offer funny critiques or anything that would cause drama among the panel; even if Paula and Randy didn't act anywhere as rude as Simon, it still felt like they were actual judges who would offer actual opinions or express disagreement with each other's opinions - even if there was something stupid going on, Ryan would usually be the one involved. Also, it would be impressive if you could win over Simon; to get praise from the current panel doesn't mean anything, because every opinion on every act is nearly identical. The current judges never say anything funny or shocking and any disagreement is just "Eh, I dunno" in a humdrum voice. Anything other than that, is Luke howling country noises and Katy being irritating - Lionel is probably too old to want to flop on the floor and yell, so I like him the best.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mystery said:

Katy Perry is so awful, demanding attention like a toddler and having to look at Lionel and Luke to try to mimic how grownups actually react to things. Like sticking her tongue out at Lionel crying at Shayy, and then coming up with "You sing like an angel." Lionel tried to say that he and Katy were both crying, to act like she is a functioning emotional being, but that would have required Katy to look beyond herself for a second. So of course it didn't happen. 

That short haircut of hers makes me think of a toddler who tried to cut their own hair - whether or not this is a forum where people are like "don't tell a woman what to do with her hair!" or whatever seems to vary by the show discussed, but I have never come across someone who thinks the short hair on her looks good; compared to what she looked like (and what other people thought of her) during the Teenage Dream era, you would be crazy to alter it.

6 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Simon used to offer funny critiques or anything that would cause drama among the panel; even if Paula and Randy didn't act anywhere as rude as Simon, it still felt like they were actual judges who would offer actual opinions or express disagreement with each other's opinions - even if there was something stupid going on, Ryan would usually be the one involved. Also, it would be impressive if you could win over Simon; to get praise from the current panel doesn't mean anything, because every opinion on every act is nearly identical. The current judges never say anything funny or shocking and any disagreement is just "Eh, I dunno" in a humdrum voice. Anything other than that, is Luke howling country noises and Katy being irritating - Lionel is probably too old to want to flop on the floor and yell, so I like him the best.

I agree that a voice of dissension like Simon is definitely missing- it has been since he left. I wasn’t meaning the judges were the same, I meant the show was largely the same, meaning there has always been dumb stuff and backstories. It mostly doesn’t bother me - I feel it helps me get invested in the contestants easier, and I think it gives the show some heart. That’s just my opinion, and I seem to be in the minority.  I have been watching this show since episode 1 though, and I can’t seem to quit it even when I am hate watching which has happened more often than not since about Scotty Mcreery......At this point I’ve just decided I’m done being annoyed and just accept it for what it is because I can’t let it go.....

As far as Katy is concerned, I don’t find her any more annoying than Paula ever was, and there were many times Randy looked like he was going to slip into a coma....

• Love 2

I miss Simon.  Always.

I loved when Mary J. Blige couldn't contain her laughter at the horrible auditions and she would hide behind somebody to laugh.

Other than that, has the judging panel ever contributed much?  LOL.  

• Love 2

Simon had more than his fair share of critics.  Same with Paula, Randy.

They can have the greatest judges, best contestants, coolest format - the Idol today will never be the way it was 10 years ago.  The times are very different. 

The show actually lasted 4 seasons too long on FOX. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Simon had more than his fair share of critics.  Same with Paula, Randy.

They can have the greatest judges, best contestants, coolest format - the Idol today will never be the way it was 10 years ago.  The times are very different. 

The show actually lasted 4 seasons too long on FOX. 

The fact that people can likely get a larger fanbase than Idol could provide completely on their own through Soundcloud or YouTube makes the show seem rather meaningless. Maddie Poppe has no bigger of an aura or any better opportunities than a big YouTuber would have. Also, seeing as how last year, they were only able to get D-level musicians as mentors speaks volumes of the show's relevance.

@twilightzone Boy isn’t that the truth! I think the last season I really loved was season 8. I have always thought David Cook broke the show. After him, it was the era of the WGWG’s, and then the judging panel of diminishing returns.

I am no doubt watching for nostalgia which is why it doesn’t bother me anymore. I am grateful to the show for giving me KC, Chris Daughtry, David Cook and Adam Lambert. 

Or maybe hope springs eternal and I am waiting for someone else to come along and blow my socks off.......Either way, I just keep watching.......

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

The fact that people can likely get a larger fanbase than Idol could provide completely on their own through Soundcloud or YouTube makes the show seem rather meaningless. Maddie Poppe has no bigger of an aura or any better opportunities than a big YouTuber would have. Also, seeing as how last year, they were only able to get D-level musicians as mentors speaks volumes of the show's relevance.

Are there other singing shows that you know of that make real A-level musicians these days?

27 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

@twilightzone Boy isn’t that the truth! I think the last season I really loved was season 8. I have always thought David Cook broke the show. After him, it was the era of the WGWG’s, and then the judging panel of diminishing returns.

I am no doubt watching for nostalgia which is why it doesn’t bother me anymore. I am grateful to the show for giving me KC, Chris Daughtry, David Cook and Adam Lambert. 

Or maybe hope springs eternal and I am waiting for someone else to come along and blow my socks off.......Either way, I just keep watching.......

David Cook was a WGWG.   And If he, KC , Daughtry, Lambert had to compete in today's Idol, they would have a hard time. 

The fading of Idol wasn't because of the contestants or the judging panel.  It was the sign of the times.  TV singing shows are no longer a cultural phenomenon.   With streaming, social media, technology, audiences now have way more options to discover fresh talent.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

David Cook was a WGWG.

I know he was, but he was the original WGWG. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that the first season they were allowed to play instruments? Also, he was the first to really rearrange songs to suit himself or find alternative versions almost weekly. And I’m not saying no one did that prior to him (Blake Lewis on Bon Jovi week was epic to me), but he did it so well. He definitely did not do as well as many post-idol, but to me, he was arguably the best and most interesting contestant ever. I can still vividly recall several of his performances. I can barely name 3 from ANYONE from the last few seasons.

I agree the music landscape has changed completely since this show’s inception, but really I am waiting to be wowed within the construct of the show itself. There are so many performances on the show that I recall loving from people that were never heard from again. I don’t care if they ever gain major fame. I am sad because this is what’s really lacking - memorable performances on the show itself. The fact that Idol was able to produce some viable stars back in the day is enough. I just wish the show itself was better. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I thought it was Lee DeWyze.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:34 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Are there other singing shows that you know of that make real A-level musicians these days?

I don't even think American Idol has produced many big names, especially for how popular the show was - Kelly Clarkson (who doesn't seem that big nowadays), Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood and Adam Lambert seem to be the most notable ones. I've always thought people calling Fantasia, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, and maybe a few others I forget as big names is very exaggerated. I remember only watching the first episode of the first season of The Voice, but scrolling through the list of all of the winners, I have never heard of any of them. X Factor USA was pretty much a fail, other than Fifth Harmony.

I think trying to market musicians on TV nowadays is stupid, because the majority of up and coming singers who are marketable are all young and the demographic their fanbases consist of are mostly young, so why bother doing that on TV, when cable is most certainly not what young people are watching? Just some examples of people you're probably familiar with - Justin Bieber got famous off of YouTube and Shawn Mendes got famous off of Vine; most musicians nowadays are mainstream from YouTube or other websites, because that is mainstream now.

• Love 1

I think the point of the show is to gather a fanbase, get an audience, and sell adspace through ratings, just like any cable show.  I don't think AI is under any mistaken delusional impression that they're going to find another Kelly Clarkson.

I am familiar with Justin Bieber, if it can be believed.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Kelly Clarkson (who doesn't seem that big nowadays),

I don't know about that - I just saw her in January in an arena and it was packed. She sang a lot of her hits, and there are a lot to choose from (I am assuming for someone who listens to pop).  Also, she is in the public eye nightly on the Voice, and she is getting her own talk show. I would call that pretty successful considering she won almost 20 years ago......

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think the point of the show is to gather a fanbase, get an audience, and sell adspace through ratings, just like any cable show.  I don't think AI is under any mistaken delusional impression that they're going to find another Kelly Clarkson.

I am familiar with Justin Bieber, if it can be believed.

I assumed you would be familiar with Justin, it's just that the age of the posters in the show-forums on this site I usually post in are like 60 years old - my other examples off the top of my head would've been Bhad Bhabie, Greyson Chance, Christina Grimmie, and a ton of XXL rappers with goofy names, but I wouldn't automatically assume anyone here would know who they are.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't know about that - I just saw her in January in an arena and it was packed. She sang a lot of her hits, and there are a lot to choose from (I am assuming for someone who listens to pop).  Also, she is in the public eye nightly on the Voice, and she is getting her own talk show. I would call that pretty successful considering she won almost 20 years ago......

Wow, upon looking on her site, she's still performing in arenas, which I really didn't expect. Since I don't follow The Voice, I'm sure I assumed that her being a judge on there was equivalent to Lionel being an American Idol judge, as in someone who was formerly big. A lot of musicians who I don't personally follow, I tend to gauge their popularity solely on how frequently they get mentioned in passing or on different websites; basic example being you wouldn't need to be a fan of Beyonce to know she's popular. I had also listed Jennifer Hudson under the group of "exaggerated" for the same reason, until I looked her up and she's way more popular than I imagined. I'll have to be more sure of what I'm talking about next time.

• LOL 1