Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Whatever Floats Your Boat

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

I can understand not wanting to blame their circumstances for their inferior performance, but David was so quick to deny that the power outage was a problem for the team that it made me think of that scene with the black knight in Monty Python where all his limbs are chopped off and yet he still claims that "It's only a flesh wound".

• Love 9

I can understand not wanting to blame their circumstances for their inferior performance, but David was so quick to deny that the power outage was a problem for the team

What I thought was odd was that someone, Michelle I think, said several times that they were at a disadvantage because Adrienne's illness brought them down to four team members.  She knew that the green team had four members to begin with so losing Adrienne changed plans but it wasn't a disadvantage compared to the other team.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, mlp said:

What I thought was odd was that someone, Michelle I think, said several times that they were at a disadvantage because Adrienne's illness brought them down to four team members.  She knew that the green team had four members to begin with so losing Adrienne changed plans but it wasn't a disadvantage compared to the other team.

They were required to make one more dish than the other team. So it was somewhat a disadvantage. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

They were required to make one more dish than the other team. So it was somewhat a disadvantage. 

But the other team went and made shots and puppy chow and while the shots probably didn’t take much time preparing and cutely packaging the puppy chow did so I really don’t think the other team pushed themselves that much.

• Love 2

I hope we get to see more of Kentucky in some form.  There have to be more clichés and more restauranteurs that they need to highlight?   Although I live in a mid market city myself I guess it should give me hope that they can pretty much pick any city or area now for Top Chef for a little local flair LOL.  The theme parties can be done anywhere and all it takes is a nice summer backdrop and a few local things to make it a possible destination.

I feel bad that Crooked Hat made all of those dumplings only to dump them in a plastic cup with the ubiquitous coconut foam that always looks like foamy loogie to me.  Ick.  I think he said that he didn't want to make frou frou food but foam says super frou to me.  I love fancy food sometimes but I hate foam in a cup.

I'm still upset that Brian spent the entire time in that hot tub carving ham and sweating his balls off.   At some point you have to just realize it's not as funny or impactful as you thought it was, get your ass out of the hot tub and go work the crowd.  He was the only person with the chance to be chatty with the guests.

• Love 5

I think Kelsey's oyster was elevated because the sauce she made was a "nage" with elements of mignonette, hot sauce, and pickled watermelon rind. I also think her dish did a good job of setting the tone for the party, light and refreshing party food. The other dishes-little shrimp roll was my least favorite, I don't like mayo in the sun. But it did look like a nice sized bite. The fried fish looked light and flaky, maybe because it was not sitting? And then the watermelon salad-tied it all together. A nice mix of lighter and heavier dishes. And even if the jiggle juice was not to Padma's liking-it definitely loosened up the partygoers.

In contrast,the blue team did not seem like a cohesive menu. Boring shrimp pop. I don't want any kind of mayo on my taco on the boat in the sun and it was a big taco. I don't want a dumpling in soup in a boat in the sun. The fried fish looked kind of heavy and compact. And the porchetta...blergh. I love pork, love porchetta...but not on a boat in the sun. I'm not sure how to fix the porcetta-I know sometimes people take porcetta and then turn it into a delicious messy sandwich? Maybe if he'd done that (mini-sized) it would have a been a rich and delicious treat? Or I'd rather have my pork on a stick and my shrimp loose! Just seemed like a hot, heavy menu to me.

Also, it seemed like the blue team saw the fun element of the green team, and then choked and couldn't figure out their own way. Their food didn't really go with a tiki theme. If they wanted to do elevated dining, why not go with a white theme and serve a champagne cocktail? Again, be yourselves, be true to your food. I don't personally think a houseboat party lends itself to elegance, but if they didn't want to cook casual food....then you gotta go all the way with it.

• Love 8

Oh, also-it was pretty lucky the way the teams broke out. Imagine if Sarah had been trying to push jiggle juice on the Blue team? Or if Brian was all bent on making porchetta on the other boat? The team sensibilities were very well-matched.

• Love 3
On 26/01/2019 at 8:24 PM, Richness said:

the extended car commercial

Be sure to use the GPS Navigation system in your BMW X-whatever stupid CUV they're using -so you can find the place!   (also, be sure you push the gas pedal in order to go forward...)  

Yeah, totally organic. That's how people talk 

• Love 3
On 1/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, mlp said:

Puppy Chow is common in the Midwest but it's made with chocolate and peanut butter and looks like kibble.  The kind Kelsey made didn't look at all familiar nor did it look like puppy chow.  There are lots of recipes for the Midwest version on line.

It's very addictive but I do think she came up with her own version of a Puppy Chow/Chex mix combo and she went without powdered sugar so hands would be clean.  I'd like to try to make a version of it--without the bananas.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:59 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Finally, I can't help but wonder ... my memory is bad so please help here ... has there ever been a situation before where a cheftestant was out sick for the challenge? If so, how was it handled? Luckily (or editor-monkey-thanks), Adrienne had already detailed her dish and they'd bought the ingredients and Eddie made it and the judges liked it. If she hadn't clarified/bought her dish/if Eddie had pooched it/if the judges simply didn't like it, what would have happened? Would she have been given a pass? 

My guess is they wouldn't have released her to go lie down while they were eliminating someone so that was kind of a giveaway for me.

I don't remember a contestant being almost completely out of it but she got lucky that it happened during a group challenge.  I wonder what would have happened during an individual challenge.

As for releasing her, I'm pretty sure they brought her back up for the elimination part.  They sent her away when they discussed The Green Team.  I suspect that can go on for a while which is why they didn't need her there to watch.

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But the other team went and made shots and puppy chow and while the shots probably didn’t take much time preparing and cutely packaging the puppy chow did so I really don’t think the other team pushed themselves that much.

The prep might have been similar but once the Puppy Chow was done, it was done.  They didn't need to cook more like Adrienne's dish.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, HunterHunted said:

Not a fan of the constant product placement on this show, for awhile I felt like I was watching a BMW commercial, and why can they only shop at Wholefoods?  Everything is so dam expensive there, in the early seasons they weren't so limited.

All game shows are product placements devised by advertisers. They supply the gifts for "free" and Vanna, Monty, Alex,Pat, etc spend 1/2 an hour showing and advertising their latest appliances "for the busy housewife". Product placement is the definition and purpose of the genre. Don't get it twisted, they mean to sell you not entertain you.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't remember a contestant being almost completely out of it but she got lucky that it happened during a group challenge. 

Sarah Greuneberg (Top Chef Texas) was carted off in an ambulance due to heat during a group challenge. I don't recall how much time she missed. Didn't Jamie (Top Chef All Stars) also miss significant time due to needing stiches?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/ct-redeye-xpm-2012-01-04-30590009-story.html

• Love 1

Puppy Chow and Hot Brown are no stranger than Spotted Dick, Mousse Balls, Egg Cream, Mud Pie, Ladyfingers, Ants on a Log, Dirt Cake, Pigs in a Blanket, Toad in a Hole and Grinders. 

The name is only stupid or off-putting if you didn't grow up hearing it.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Puppy Chow and Hot Brown are no stranger than Spotted Dick, Mousse Balls, Egg Cream, Mud Pie, Ladyfingers, Ants on a Log, Dirt Cake, Pigs in a Blanket, Toad in a Hole and Grinders. 

The name is only stupid or off-putting if you didn't grow up hearing it.

I do love the Kentucky Hot Browns especially for breakfast.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

I hope we get to see more of Kentucky in some form.  There have to be more clichés and more restauranteurs that they need to highlight?   Although I live in a mid market city myself I guess it should give me hope that they can pretty much pick any city or area now for Top Chef for a little local flair LOL.  The theme parties can be done anywhere and all it takes is a nice summer backdrop and a few local things to make it a possible destination.

I feel bad that Crooked Hat made all of those dumplings only to dump them in a plastic cup with the ubiquitous coconut foam that always looks like foamy loogie to me.  Ick.  I think he said that he didn't want to make frou frou food but foam says super frou to me.  I love fancy food sometimes but I hate foam in a cup.

I'm still upset that Brian spent the entire time in that hot tub carving ham and sweating his balls off.   At some point you have to just realize it's not as funny or impactful as you thought it was, get your ass out of the hot tub and go work the crowd.  He was the only person with the chance to be chatty with the guests.

Never liked the foam craze.  Actually thought it was no longer in vogue.

• Love 2
On 1/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

I keep asking "Where is Edward Lee?"

I won't hold my breath, but how about Top Chef: Rochester?  Garbage plates, white hots, etc.  Heck, Top Chef: Western New York could include sponge candy, beef on weck and speaking of clichés, wings.

• Love 5

Top Chef: Western New York could include sponge candy, beef on weck and speaking of clichés, wings.

Now you've made me homesick.  They could take a side trip to Niagara Falls.  

I'm curious now what TC policy is wrt to someone getting sick and missing part of a challenge.  Adrienne had planned and started her dish as I recall and Eddie finished it.  What if it had been the very worst dish on the losing team?  Who would they send home?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, theajw said:

I won't hold my breath, but how about Top Chef: Rochester?  Garbage plates, white hots, etc.  Heck, Top Chef: Western New York could include sponge candy, beef on weck and speaking of clichés, wings.

Oooo sponge candy sounds interesting!   And why not wings?  They can all eat the originals and then have to elevate them into an amuse bouche using only liquid nitrogen and vegan chicken blocks.  

Mmmmmm I love Beef on Weck.  I rememeber when BW3 was actually Buffalo Wild Wings n WECK!!!  Selling out to be a chain sucks.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, theajw said:

Don’t forget shopping at Wegmans!  Take that Whole Paycheck. 

Edited by GrannySmith
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, theajw said:

I went to college in the "Southern Tier" of New York State. This was pre-Buffalo Wings craze, and my favorite bar food was the "spiedie, grilled marinated beef chunks served on a skewer with a slice of Italian bread to pull the chunks off the skewer and fold them into a sandwich. I haven't thought about that in years. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is a Wikipedia entry, according to which the spiedie is actually specific to the very location where I was eating them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Eulipian 5k said:

All game shows are product placements devised by advertisers. They supply the gifts for "free" and Vanna, Monty, Alex,Pat, etc spend 1/2 an hour showing and advertising their latest appliances "for the busy housewife". Product placement is the definition and purpose of the genre. Don't get it twisted, they mean to sell you not entertain you.

The product placement of cars and kitchen appliances on Top Chef doesn't bug me as much as when challenges require using a sponsor's product as an ingredient. (Sometimes the main ingredient). Then you have advertising crossing over into editorial content. And it's not even labelled "sponsored content" the way you see in newspapers and websites, though obviously everyone knows the score.

TC, more than other food shows like Master Chef and Food Network Star, can be a little full of itself about their high culinary standards. (Looking at you, Tom). I guess everyone thinks Maker's Mark is cool, but you wonder where they'd draw the line if enough money was waved under the producers' noses. "For today's challenge, we're going to be cooking with two foods America really loves. Velveeta and Lucky Charms."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm curious now what TC policy is wrt to someone getting sick and missing part of a challenge.  Adrienne had planned and started her dish as I recall and Eddie finished it.  What if it had been the very worst dish on the losing team?  Who would they send home?

Who knows.  Angelo got sick in the finale of his season.  He managed to plate some dishes, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to eat them.

• Love 4

@HappyDancex2 @PamelaMaeSnap As co-watchers of That Show That Shall Not Be Mentioned Lest We Reveal Our True Guilty Pleasures... I'm happy to see Brian gone because he give me a smidge of Coltee and his oddly-calm-in-weird-moments/serial killer vibe.  

Back to TC.  @PamelaMaeSnap, girl, i'ma come down and bring you some puppy chow.  I first had it in Cleveland, and make it a couple of times a year for work here in PA.  

Okay now back to TC.   I go back and forth on liking some of this season's contestants, but Kelsey being in her element in this challenge, man, how much does Eddie hate that he didn't pick her?  Before he picked anyone, I said (to my dog, and she agreed) "He's gonna pick Kelsey. Justin. Adrienne.  Mayyyyyyybe Brian, but I hope not.... IF HE'S SMART."  And then I followed up with "Update, Dear Dog:  He's not."  Man, what a miss for him.   

I've been a week behind all season on this.  Just caught up last night.  LKC is a drag, it isn't even interesting to me anymore.  Is that a normal sentiment around here?  I do miss Nini though.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I'm happy to see Brian gone because he give me a smidge of Coltee and his oddly-calm-in-weird-moments/serial killer vibe.  

I can TOTALLY see that now that you mention it. Brian's just ... odd (whereas, of course, Coltee is completely normal). I'm gonna chalk up his really obnoxious behavior this week somewhat to overwhelming exhaustion but pretty much everyone could use the same excuse.

Eddie was apparently so afraid of making enemies that he blew his advantage by a completely random team selection (the first four people he saw?) ... not that I minded, since I have a completely irrational dislike of him because he weirdly reminds me (physically, not personality-wise) of an ex-coworker who was the most evil POS I've ever worked "with" (I'm not even sure why, because he doesn't really look like him, it's just a vibe he gives off).

I'll meet you halfway for the Puppy Chow, just name the date/time/place (Little Italy always welcome but I'd be happy to hit one of the markets and we can stalk blondie and her D).  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I went to college in the "Southern Tier" of New York State. This was pre-Buffalo Wings craze, and my favorite bar food was the "spiedie, grilled marinated beef chunks served on a skewer with a slice of Italian bread to pull the chunks off the skewer and fold them into a sandwich. I haven't thought about that in years. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is a Wikipedia entry, according to which the spiedie is actually specific to the very location where I was eating them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie

The product placement of cars and kitchen appliances on Top Chef doesn't bug me as much as when challenges require using a sponsor's product as an ingredient. (Sometimes the main ingredient). Then you have advertising crossing over into editorial content. And it's not even labelled "sponsored content" the way you see in newspapers and websites, though obviously everyone knows the score.

TC, more than other food shows like Master Chef and Food Network Star, can be a little full of itself about their high culinary standards. (Looking at you, Tom). I guess everyone thinks Maker's Mark is cool, but you wonder where they'd draw the line if enough money was waved under the producers' noses. "For today's challenge, we're going to be cooking with two foods America really loves. Velveeta and Lucky Charms."

I'm learning more about regional cuisine on this forum than Top Chef!

Using the age old formula for Chopped, when given Velveeta and Lucky Charms one makes tacos in the appetizer round,  a sauce for the protein in the second round emulsified by the ever mispronounced Marse-capone….. and ice cream for the dessert round.   Piece of cake LOL

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

@HappyDancex2 @PamelaMaeSnap As co-watchers of That Show That Shall Not Be Mentioned Lest We Reveal Our True Guilty Pleasures... I'm happy to see Brian gone because he give me a smidge of Coltee and his oddly-calm-in-weird-moments/serial killer vibe.  

Back to TC.  @PamelaMaeSnap, girl, i'ma come down and bring you some puppy chow.  I first had it in Cleveland, and make it a couple of times a year for work here in PA.  

Okay now back to TC.   I go back and forth on liking some of this season's contestants, but Kelsey being in her element in this challenge, man, how much does Eddie hate that he didn't pick her?  Before he picked anyone, I said (to my dog, and she agreed) "He's gonna pick Kelsey. Justin. Adrienne.  Mayyyyyyybe Brian, but I hope not.... IF HE'S SMART."  And then I followed up with "Update, Dear Dog:  He's not."  Man, what a miss for him.   

I've been a week behind all season on this.  Just caught up last night.  LKC is a drag, it isn't even interesting to me anymore.  Is that a normal sentiment around here?  I do miss Nini though.

aRGargahaggaaaaahhhh at the sheer mention of Coltee which I didn't see but now I can't unsee.  Whoever goes against the Queen will die!  My take on Brian just seems more of the doofus route....I wanted to say overinflated ego but Sara has the flat out covered although the editors are doing her no favors by showing every single time she mentions one of her specialties in life.  He really needed to get out of that hot tub.  There are also no special extra credit points for staying up all night....just because it won you RW doesn't mean it's a superstition thing.  Go to bed, make good decisions, wash your hands!

I think Eddie picked people who he probably relates to IRL....quiet ppl like himself.  I think he finds people who are more outgoing draining so if forced to choose he'll go with smooth sailing.  However like in most companies you need all types to make it work.  For those of your familiar to DISC then Eddie is a S/C and the entire other team were partly "I"s so one gets energy from crowds and one is drained.

I'm wearing my green Big Hop tshirt right now....not from PA but they got a great craft beer scene.  Buddy works for Pepsi there.

Not sure of the rules for Adrienne's illness and her dish but in hindsight they needed it because it was the only thing they liked.   Salmon taco bar?  Relatable.  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

emulsified by the ever mispronounced Marse-capone….. and ice cream for the dessert round.   Piece of cake LOL

I was watching an episode of Martha (Stewart) Bakes over the weekend, and *she* pronounced it wrong. Twice. She disappointed me. 

• Love 2
On 1/29/2019 at 11:41 PM, bluepiano said:

The product placement of cars and kitchen appliances on Top Chef doesn't bug me as much as when challenges require using a sponsor's product as an ingredient.

This is where I've got to give, er, chops to Chopped.  They go out of their way to conceal the branding of the products they use.  "And one of your ingredients is fluted individual milk chocolate-peanut candies" or "your best appetizer using children's morning cereal incorporating colored and shaped marshmallow bits" which are clearly Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Lucky Charms cereal.  

• Love 3