Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Penguin, Our Hero

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

With the creation of Haven as a safe place for refugees, Gordon hopes to stop the gang fighting in Gotham. Meanwhile, Selina is determined to find Jeremiah and she convinces Bruce to help her. Penguin goes to Haven to reclaim his staff.

Promo:

Original air date: 1/17/19

• Lol'd at the Penguin Choir
  • RIP Mr. Penn. :( those were some great last words...
  • Selina slowly going kinda bonkers...yikes. Cool claw gloves tho.
  • I really haven't liked ecco so far but tonight made me warm up to her a bit now that we've gotten to see her act more like good ol' harley. She said Puddin'!
  • Church of Jeremiah...lol! Of course.
  • I knew the kid was going to bite the dust the moment he bonded with Jim...but the whole building????? I was not expecting that. Jim just looks so... :(
  • Love 4

Bruce is as cute as Jim Gordon thinking there is still law and order in Gotham

1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Quite a song Penguin has for himself.

Thought that was hilarious.  I need to get me one of those.   

And yes I am going to keep being a pain and keep bringing up that there is still no sighting of Lee.

• Love 3

In case you missed the ending . . .

Barbara: (pointing her gun at Oswald) Penguin. Dead. NOW!

Harvey: Don't tell me you two bonded!

Oswald: Look, I know I started this entire affair. But me and my good friend Jim hashed things out, killed the bad guys-

Jim: That you brought here.

Oswald: (exaggerated eyeroll) Guilty as charged! The point is, I'm going home with my faithful dog and a tentative peace with this wonderful community of wretches. And they chanted my name, so I get to go to bed happy!!

Barbara: Wow. I am so not caring!

Jim: (stepping in front of Oswald) Barbara, I know he killed Tabitha. I know he probably deserves to die in a horrible and humiliating fashion . ..

Oswald: Standing right here, Jim.

Jim: . . . but we can work out who kills who tomorr-

(Haven blows up)

Jim: Fuuuuuuuuucccck.

Harvey: (sidling up to Jim) Hey . . . not like you bonded with a little kid and made him a deputy, right?

(the waif's body plummets to the ground, killing Edward the Bulldog instantly)

Oswald: (soft, sad whimpering noises)

Jim: Why do I stay here?!?

Okay, I made up the final bits . . . but since this is Gotham, it could still totally happen. I mean, Ed's dealing with blackouts, Selina is hopped up on super root juice, and Jeremiah has set up a religion, complete with initiates that dress like folks that would bug you on the streets.

RIP Mr. Penn. May you no longer have to grovel in the next life. Also, if you pass on the diapers after two years, that would also be good.

Nice that Jeremiah's insanity can be felt without him even needing to show up. And his neighborhood is full of lost causes. Mutants. They had Mutants! And Selina beat the ever-loving shit out of the biggest one!

15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

And yes I am going to keep being a pain and keep bringing up that there is still no sighting of Lee.

I don't think Morena's name is in the credits. Maybe she'll drop by for closure?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

RIP Mr. Penn. May you no longer have to grovel in the next life. Also, if you pass on the diapers after two years, that would also be good.

Damn it. I had finally managed to wash that imagine out of my brain after a year. So...thanks for bringing that up again.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Oswald: Look, I know I started this entire affair. But me and my good friend Jim hashed things out, killed the bad guys-

Oswald: (exaggerated eyeroll) Guilty as charged! The point is, I'm going home with my faithful dog and a tentative peace with this wonderful community of wretches. And they chanted my name, so I get to go to bed happy!!

Jim: (stepping in front of Oswald) Barbara, I know he killed Tabitha. I know he probably deserves to die in a horrible and humiliating fashion . ..

(Haven blows up)

Harvey: (sidling up to Jim) Hey . . . not like you bonded with a little kid and made him a deputy, right?

Once again, I just love your recaps, Lantern7.   I still wish that "this" forum still did full-length sarcastic recaps.

(OK, that was TWOP, but you know what I mean).

No Riddler this episode; what he be doing??

• Love 2

Much, much better than last week. Though, no Ed or Lucius this week. Short season, folks. Focus on the characters we care about, not Jim bonding with an adorable moppet. Unless the moppet is secretly working for Jeremiah and helped set the charges, I don’t care.

What is it about the Valeska brothers that inspires cult followings? Though I like what they are doing with Ecco/Harley so far. 

Selina’s gone a bit off the deep end, but she is right that Bruce has to get real about the situation in town.

Nice in a weird way to see Oswald still employs Olga. He is oddly loyal to people, he just needs to figure out how to not treat them like shit so they won’t turn on him. Mr Penn (RIP), I think, actually cared about Oswald in a way, but even he couldn’t hang on through the crap Oswald was dishing out. But this is the one lesson Oswald refuses to learn.

And how many times are we going to go through Barbara trying to kill Oswald and Jim stops her? And I’m starting to wonder why Jim insists on keeping him alive. Does he realize that Oswald does actually provide some stability? Guilt over the part he’s played in making Oswald the monster he’s become? He realizes on some level that he and Oswald are far more alike than he cares to admit?

That really is one seriously cute bulldog. The dog’s owner started an Instagram account for the dog (which is a she) and said that the dog basically had a crush on Robin Lord Taylor (they even moved the dog’s dressing room next door to RLT’s so she could be closer to him), so the cute cuddly scenes at the end were probably pretty easy to shoot (I.e., they probably didn’t have to smear baby food on RLT’s face to get the dog to “kiss” him).

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Kostgard said:

That really is one seriously cute bulldog. The dog’s owner started an Instagram account for the dog (which is a she) and said that the dog basically had a crush on Robin Lord Taylor (they even moved the dog’s dressing room next door to RLT’s so she could be closer to him), so the cute cuddly scenes at the end were probably pretty easy to shoot (I.e., they probably didn’t have to smear baby food on RLT’s face to get the dog to “kiss” him).

Lassie-type situation. Gotcha. Do you have an URL for the little actress? Oh, and I still expect her character to get killed, and maybe eaten.

”He vent villingly.” Damn, that had to hurt. 😆

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Well, I certainly didn't see that ending coming.

8 hours ago, Kostgard said:

And I’m starting to wonder why Jim insists on keeping him alive. Does he realize that Oswald does actually provide some stability?

I think that's it.  He knows Oswald, he knows Oswald will try to provide some stability, Oswald will try to keep his people in check, and that he can get on Oswald's good side.  Getting rid of Oswald, may put somebody in charge that doesn't give a shit about any of that.  Killing Oswald may put Jeremiah in charge, and Jim would prefer for Oswald to be in charge.

It's a "the devil you know" situation.

• Love 3

I'm still not too sure if Ecco really is meant to be this show's Harley or a precursor to the real deal but at least we got some more of the character and the scenes she had with Selina were the high point of the episode.

It didn't take long for Bruce to see that Selina has become more attuned with her dark side and while the latter won't succeed in taking out Jeremiah, I am rooting for her nonetheless.

The Gordon and Oswald scenes were nothing new but only the latter could solve a problem he created in the first place. I did like the reunion with Oswald and his dog though.

Nice scene with Barbara and Bullock mulling over the old days.

Haven getting blown up wasn't that shocking but I guess they could've gotten another episode out of it before going nuclear on the place, 8/10

• Love 3

Jim has always been able to work with Penguin for a short period of time when it serves both their purpose.  Penguin wants to be King of Gotham and he need a certain order to be that.  He is not like Jeremiah who revels in madness and chaos.  

Where Barbara stands is anyone’s guess.  

• Love 2

"The rumors are that the pup went...willingly." Ouch, that had to hurt! Thats why you dont create a hostile work environment, Penguin! Even your dog gets tired of your hissy fits. That was a pretty sweet theme song though, I can appreciate wanting to wake up every day to a choir singing about your own awesomeness. 

I always enjoy when Jim and Oswald have to work together, it brings out the snark in Jim. "Just try to act normal. I know its a stretch." I think that Jim, as much as Oswald drives him nuts, and as much as he wants to taper his criminal enterprise, he also knows how Oswald works, and he knows that Oswald at least has pretty understandable goals. He doesent want to watch the world burn like Jerimiah or randomly kill people or create terror like Scarecrow or Professor Pyg, he wants to make money and have his ego stroked. By Gotham standards, thats a pretty normal motivation, something you can work with. He and Jim have known each other for awhile, and he knows that Oswald can at least occasionally do the right thing (if theres something in it for him) or will team up defend their mutual interest, and most importantly, he does create some stability in Gotham's underworld. I think Jim is aware that there is always going to be crime, and its better the devil you know sometimes. So I can see why he wants him alive. 

I enjoyed the banter between Harvey and Barbara, kind of remembering the old days of season one. Things have certainly changed....and yet in some ways, not.

Of course Jeremiah takes the opportunity to form his old death cult, that sounds about right. And he found his own Harley Quinn! I already like Ecco, she is all kinds of crazy, but also got a sort of psycho philosophical thing going on that makes her stand out more. Puddin indeed. 

Poor Mr. Penn. And those are some serious last words! Love that he was still leading the choir even at the sanctuary, the guy is committed to his schedule! Choir practice is on Thursday at 3 damn it, no matter what! Its also nice to see that Olga stuck with Oswald, and he is still employing her.

I always enjoy the adventures of Selina and Bruce, wandering around the increasingly scary Gotham. There were a lot of little bits, as well as the stuff with Selina increasingly becoming violent and angry. And cat claws! And she straight up hissed at Ecco! I did love her expression when Bruce said why he stayed in Gotham when he could have probably gotten out. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

The show lost me with way, way too much cray, cray... I mean it is who is topping who on the psycho meter and it doesn't work for me. 

At least on my HD channel/tv I was greatly distracted by the caked up makeup in some of the scenes with Bruce and Selina.  Man, it looked like silent film type stuff on their faces.

also, Selina's going through that awkward between weight stage of life.. Face looked a little big there, just the face.

• Love 1

letter-c.png 5c4281acdb2ab_BullockMeter4.png.227808b4e5893fa0640a013d3db5a30c.png

I really wanted to like this episode. Bruce and Selina teaming up and kicking ass? Ecco channelling her inner Harley Quinn? A crazy way to do a Russian Roulette? Barbara planting the seeds for a face-heel turn in Harvey? Gangs attacking the Haven after ditching Oswald?

Lots of promise, but none of it really delivered. Maybe it's because there was too much going on in the episode.

I expected, with a shorter episode count, that the stories would be tighter and things would move along better, but, three episodes in, I'm sitting here wondering what the direction is or even if there is a direction to all of this. It's just like seasons before- crazy for the sake of crazy. Screw if it has a purpose in the plot.

OK, maybe there is one continual storyline- Jim and Harvey have no food and no ammo and everything is about to blow up in their faces at some point. However, it's not much of a storyline because all they do is tell me that's the situation, instead of the show showing how that is the case.

Hopefully, episode four gets things rolling, because I'm running out of patience.

As for Bullock- mostly in the background, some zingers...but, boy, did his scene with Barbara make you think. Though Harvey knew it was a mind trick, he didn't necessarily dismiss it completely. I'm not sure it will actually come to anything- remember, in that Day 391 scene, Harvey was marching with Jim- but the scene did strike a chord.

Selina isn't alive because she couldn't pull the trigger (nor are any of he acolytes); they're alive because the person behind them couldn't pull the trigger.  That kind of spoiled the test for me.

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Selina is going about it the right way.  What Bruce was doing wasn't working,  I don't blame Selina for giving it a go on her own.

19 hours ago, darkestboy said:

It didn't take long for Bruce to see that Selina has become more attuned with her dark side and while the latter won't succeed in taking out Jeremiah, I am rooting for her nonetheless.

Once again, it's not "dark" to put down a homicidal maniac like Jeremiah or Ecco,  It's just common sense, Bruce! If Selina was "dark", she wouldn't have hesitated to shoot the acolyte in front of her.  Follow the lead of Jim Gordon: he soesn't hesitate to shoot to kill those who deserve it (at least the ones without Plot Armor).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Selina isn't alive because she couldn't pull the trigger (nor are any of he acolytes); they're alive because the person behind them couldn't pull the trigger.  That kind of spoiled the test for me.

Selina put her thumb in front of the hammer of the gun pointed at her, preventing it from firing.  The acolytes who survived were lucky, each gun only had one bullet. They were playing Russian Roulette, the difference being that each pointed a gun at someone else instead of themself.

Edited by Gobi
  • Love 1

Ecco is back and is either totally going to be Harley Quinn or is going to be a precursor/inspiration for the actual Harley Quinn.  It will likely be the latter one, but I enjoyed her here, and the actress is having a ball with the role.

Selina is definitely way more violent now and I suspect it will end with her not killing Jeremiah for whatever reason, but I really don't see any other option other than killing him, because we know know the GCPD/Arkham will not get the job done.  But I guess Bruce wouldn't be Bruce if he wasn't fretting about crossing the line and all that jazz!

Oh, Oswald!  How could you not obviously see that your style of leadership was just pissing everyone off, including the dog?!  You're so silly!  I did enjoy him and Jim teaming up again, and as for why Jim keeps him around, I do think it's simply a case similar to Falcone, where Jim just thinks his brand of evil is more manageable compared to the likes of most everyone else he deals with.  He's slightly more predictable with his brand of crazy compared to the likes of Jeremiah or Nygma.  I do wonder if maybe Barbara would be the same, if there wasn't so much history between them.

Didn't protect Haven just blowing up.  I wonder who is going to end up being behind all of that?  Nygma?  Jeremiah?  Someone we haven't met yet?  

David Mazouz has grown about a foot since last season - Gordon had to crane his neck to look up at Bruce! Thank God that actor didn't turn out to be short because Batman does need to be tall. I'm really loving the relationship between Bruce and Gordon this season - Gordon is the big damn hero cop giving speeches and getting people to follow him while Bruce is in the background wearing black making stuff happen. It makes me wistful for a full-blown Batman show.

My BatCat heart is crying! Kicking ass, taking names, being cutie pies...and starting a conflict in morality which will last for their entire lives!

Selina's hair is sadly looking more and more like a wig.

Even Penguin's dog left him! Ha!

Not Mr Penn!

I always love Gordon and Penguin being forced to work together - it's always funny.

Ecco is looking very Harley Quinn-like. I have to say I think that actress plays a very good Harley Quinn too.

I love how everyone always seems to know some form of kung-fu on this show.

The people of Gotham are so incredibly easy to win over. Them chanting Penguin for shooting the gang leader? Don't they remember that he led the assault on Haven in the first place and brought those gangs in?

Woah everyone's dead?! That was quick!

Edited by superloislane

I'm behind a couple of weeks so I can watch a few in a row now.  Not sure I want to, since I found this episode really boring... just an orgy of predictable violence.  I had high hopes for this final season but there doesn't seem to be any momentum.  

• Useful 1
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Jim IS the law! Nice that Penguin named his choir after his mother, still a mummy's boy despite it all. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Part of me wondered if she was Jerome's priestess?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:26 AM, Lantern7 said:

In case you missed the ending . . .

(Haven blows up)

Okay, I made up the final bits . . . but since this is Gotham, it could still totally happen. I mean, Ed's dealing with blackouts, Selina is hopped up on super root juice, and Jeremiah has set up a religion, complete with initiates that dress like folks that would bug you on the streets.

Nice that Jeremiah's insanity can be felt without him even needing to show up. And his neighborhood is full of lost causes. Mutants. They had Mutants! And Selina beat the ever-loving shit out of the biggest one!

I don't think Morena's name is in the credits. Maybe she'll drop by for closure?

For a man who spends his spare time as an adult baby grovelling is probably his thing?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:20 AM, Kostgard said:

Much, much better than last week. Though, no Ed or Lucius this week. Short season, folks. Focus on the characters we care about, not Jim bonding with an adorable moppet. Unless the moppet is secretly working for Jeremiah and helped set the charges, I don’t care.

What is it about the Valeska brothers that inspires cult followings? Though I like what they are doing with Ecco/Harley so far. 

Selina’s gone a bit off the deep end, but she is right that Bruce has to get real about the situation in town.

Nice in a weird way to see Oswald still employs Olga. He is oddly loyal to people, he just needs to figure out how to not treat them like shit so they won’t turn on him. Mr Penn (RIP), I think, actually cared about Oswald in a way, but even he couldn’t hang on through the crap Oswald was dishing out. But this is the one lesson Oswald refuses to learn.

And how many times are we going to go through Barbara trying to kill Oswald and Jim stops her? And I’m starting to wonder why Jim insists on keeping him alive. Does he realize that Oswald does actually provide some stability? Guilt over the part he’s played in making Oswald the monster he’s become? He realizes on some level that he and Oswald are far more alike than he cares to admit?

TIG, a town full of crazies looking for a messiah to follow, look at Manson. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:06 AM, tiredofwork said:

The show lost me with way, way too much cray, cray... I mean it is who is topping who on the psycho meter and it doesn't work for me. 

At least on my HD channel/tv I was greatly distracted by the caked up makeup in some of the scenes with Bruce and Selina.  Man, it looked like silent film type stuff on their faces.

also, Selina's going through that awkward between weight stage of life.. Face looked a little big there, just the face.

She looked fine!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, jhlipton said:

Once again, it's not "dark" to put down a homicidal maniac like Jeremiah or Ecco,  It's just common sense, Bruce! If Selina was "dark", she wouldn't have hesitated to shoot the acolyte in front of her.  Follow the lead of Jim Gordon: he soesn't hesitate to shoot to kill those who deserve it (at least the ones without Plot Armor).

You can't go down that path, otherwise Batman just becomes The Punisher. 

1. WOW! Penguin is a megalomaniac of African dictator proportions! But still the lonely little boy who no one liked at heart. Even his bulldog left him. 

2.  Alas Mr Penn, the man who made Uriah Heep look assertive (although he seems to genuinely love his choir). Penguin's relationship with him is interesting, he seems genuinely upset at his death. 

3. Didn't Penguin's defectors think to bring the GCPD some ammo as a gift?

4. So we know where Jim gets pure water from but how about the food?

5. Interesting little talk between Harvey and Barbara, making her contemplate the past?

6.  As Barbara puts it, Harvey couldn't have lead with 'We need you to kill Penguin'?

7. Do we have Ecco as Harley? Puddin? She's certainly a lot more outgoing since she's been shot in the head.  

8. Badass Selina and no mistake. Not that Bruce isn't tough with the rest of the gang. 

9. Mutants! Everyone read The Dark Knight Returns?

10. Why doesn't Jim take Edward hostage. 

11. So at last the GCPD has some bullets, about time, that was getting tiresome.

12. OH MY GOD EVERYTHING JUST BLEW UP!

Hard to see why people don't like Penguin when he works them all night and then feeds their food to his dogs. Isn't Penguin supposed to be a master manipulator?

"I won't lose you."
"I'm not yours to lose."
Well said, Selina!

Great stealth there Bat/Cat - walking straight down the main road in broad daylight.

Sorry, I don't believe that a dog (Edward! That's cute) would leave anyone who regularly fed him steak.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:11 AM, HoodlumSheep said:

I knew the kid was going to bite the dust the moment he bonded with Jim...but the whole building????? I was not expecting that.

Oh, I expect it'll be one of those non-lethal bombs that allow everybody to get out with only superficial injuries. I'm betting the moppet is alive and turns out to be Dick Grayson.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, PinkRibbons said:

I'm super particular about my Harley Quinns, but Ecco is now near the top of my list for being fully clothed

It's funny (or possibly tragic) how Harley has gone from one of the most covered up characters (albeit covered in a skintight catsuit) when she was introduced to going around in hotpants and a halter top.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, Gobi said:

Selina put her thumb in front of the hammer of the gun pointed at her, preventing it from firing.

Thanks! That scene got edited in the version I saw - I'd wondered what exactly had happened.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:48 AM, John Potts said:

Hard to see why people don't like Penguin when he works them all night and then feeds their food to his dogs. Isn't Penguin supposed to be a master manipulator?

"I won't lose you."
"I'm not yours to lose."
Well said, Selina!

Great stealth there Bat/Cat - walking straight down the main road in broad daylight.

Sorry, I don't believe that a dog (Edward! That's cute) would leave anyone who regularly fed him steak.

Oh, I expect it'll be one of those non-lethal bombs that allow everybody to get out with only superficial injuries. I'm betting the moppet is alive and turns out to be Dick Grayson.

It's funny (or possibly tragic) how Harley has gone from one of the most covered up characters (albeit covered in a skintight catsuit) when she was introduced to going around in hotpants and a halter top.

Thanks! That scene got edited in the version I saw - I'd wondered what exactly had happened.

But he's now a megalomaniac! As for Harley, well her outfit was the only valid reason to watch Suicide Squad. Selina didn't actually have to stop the hammer, if you grab the cylinder on a revolver that will prevent it firing.