Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Love List

• Start Topic

The Love List

8:31 PM EST | ABC

The Cleary boys want Peggy to tell them she loves them after seeing how loving Pat's friend's parents are. Playing on their insecurities, Peggy posts a ranked list of their names on the fridge in the hopes that it will bring out their competitive instincts, and someone will divulge who broke the dining room light fixture. Charged with several emotions, Timmy incriminates his brother but feels so guilty that he gets a horrible stomachache and heads to the hospital.

Original Airdate: January 8, 2019

This show!!  I laughed a hundred times at least!  My favorite moment was the snub at the Sign of Peace.  That was always the ultimate burn among my sisters and brother.  You’d either ignore the shake or do the knuckle smashing grip of death with the fake smile.  

• Love 8
13 hours ago, LBS said:

This show!!  I laughed a hundred times at least!  My favorite moment was the snub at the Sign of Peace.  That was always the ultimate burn among my sisters and brother.  You’d either ignore the shake or do the knuckle smashing grip of death with the fake smile.  

As a Catholic, this would be a huge snub! No one wanted to not have anyone to shake hands with! 

• Love 4

The parents' views on doctors could have been written by my parents. We got our shots and that was about it. So Timmy going to the hospital cracked me up so much.  I also really liked how the dad was so adamant about the boys being friends. He regrets the coldness between him and his brothers and yet at the same time can't bridge it.  Feels very true to me as well since my mother hadn't spoken to her TWIN brother in many years over some issue between them. 

• Love 8

So nice to have the Clearys back! Lawrence was a standout for me again, just being the world wise advice-giver that he is.

The storyline and flashbacks about the broken table were fun, as well as Mike bribing his nerdy co-worker by promising to eat lunch with him. Peggy: "You're not married, are you?"

Mike being so nonchalant, and even encouraging, about the kids blowing shit up was great.

• Love 12

I too have laughed out loud several times each episode I have watched.  "Let me get  you a chair...Move, Frank!".  This has actually happened to me, except it was with the slippers I was wearing...My mom:  "Aunt Gina, you're barefoot, let me get you some slippers...(threatening whisper to me:  Give your aunt your slippers!").  (We're one of those slipper-wearing families; we used to have a basket of new, clean slippers in the front hall closet to offer guests...I kid you not.  But we're talking like-minded, slipper-wearing guests, mostly relatives, who also had said baskets in their homes, so it wasn't that weird.  Kind of).  Anyway, I digress.

I gotta say...that Peggy is funny, but cold.  I actually hate the comedic premise of parents setting their kids against each other and playing mind games with them.  I had to look away during those parts.  I'm thinking she's putting an imprint on her sons that may not serve them well when they grow up and have their own relationships and have to deal with real feelings.  I love the actress, but the character rubs me the wrong way most of the time.  Will I still watch?  Yup!!  I love those boys.

• Love 8

I love this show! My mom was/ is similar about going to the doctor. She also gave us random pills she found in the medicine cabinet. Every ailment you had, my mom would say "take some imodium."

• Love 7

This was one of my favorite episodes.  I don't know if it's because I've been watching the re-runs and have finally sorted out all boys, or if it's because the show is just so darn funny.  Peggy is sometimes hard to like, so it was nice to see her genuine concern for Timmy before she realized she could use his medicated state to her advantage.  

I wondered how many young people knew Sergeant Schultz.  Those little touches really make this Baby Boomer smile.   

• Love 6

I'm so glad this show is back with new episodes - and this was another one that was jam-packed with hilarious lines and bits.  As usual, it was even funnier when I rewatched it because there are so many little things that I missed the first time around.  This is by far my favorite show this season.

• Love 10

I thought Mike was the star of this one. Being so proud of his boys for blowing things up. His face when Pat's friend called him Mike. Him saying about his brothers, "They know what they did!" He also said something about someone getting 'smoted'. I like that every episode someone different gets the chance to shine. In the beginning I did worry that it would all about Timmy since he's the narrator but it hasn't turned out that way. Although he did get the line of the episode about the cricket: "He died doing what he loved." I cracked up.

• Love 13

This is my second favorite episode thus far- second only to the first episode. This one had more laugh-out-loud moments than any I can recall. I also like that are bringing Lawrence back to his original look and character. His sarcasm was spot on during the dinner scene. He knows what the parents are up to - and if the young ones would just catch onto that. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Hero said:

I love this show! My mom was/ is similar about going to the doctor. She also gave us random pills she found in the medicine cabinet. Every ailment you had, my mom would say "take some imodium."

YES! I forgot about that part but that is so true to me too.  A few years ago my mom was visiting and she got an infection and was angry with me for not having random unused antibiotics around. That's such a 70s parent mindset. That's what makes me love this show so much. So far, every episode, has been very true to form for me.  My parents never said "I love you" to us. They would have been equally weirded out by the lovey dovey family. 

• Love 6

I will admit that while I don't keep antibiotics, I do keep other things like creams and such. I also kept a steroid I got from a sinus infection that I didn't use..........you never know when you might need it ;-p

I think my favorite was Joey having a shady guy to fix the table - that kid cracks me up! I also love that he is straddling the age between kid and teen, and they are nailing it. He is sometimes worldly and cool, and yet still playing with his younger brothers ("The floor is lava!").

This has become my favorite new show!

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Peggy is sometimes hard to like, so it was nice to see her genuine concern for Timmy before she realized she could use his medicated state to her advantage.  

The little bit of panic in her voice when she told him, "I really do love you" as they wheeled him down the hall got me right in the feels. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

YES! I forgot about that part but that is so true to me too.  A few years ago my mom was visiting and she got an infection and was angry with me for not having random unused antibiotics around. That's such a 70s parent mindset. That's what makes me love this show so much. So far, every episode, has been very true to form for me.  My parents never said "I love you" to us. They would have been equally weirded out by the lovey dovey family. 

What's funny to me, was that this was in the 90s while I was growing up. She still like this today. I remember her asking me if I still had antibiotics from a wisdom teeth extraction that happened 10 years before! 

• Love 3

I liked the fact that Mike is perfectly fine wig letting Peggy “torture” the kids but for him the limit is turning them against each other.  I loved the scene where you realized he bargained with the guy he brought in so he would sit with him at lunch the next day. I thought that was very sweet.  

I am NOT a sitcom person skipped it completely at first and ended up watching this on HULU when tv was slow but it actually is kinda funny and sweet.  Reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle one of the few family sitcoms I liked.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 1/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, Ilovepie said:

I will admit that while I don't keep antibiotics, I do keep other things like creams and such. I also kept a steroid I got from a sinus infection that I didn't use..........you never know when you might need it ;-p

I still have steroid ear drops I got in October. I had swimmers ear. It cleared up but its starting to re-occur so I have my drops already! 

• Love 1

My mother always told us whenever a dr offered a pain relief prescription, that we should always get it filled.  "You can never tell if you might need it for a toothache or headache". She was particularly fond of the codeine cough syrup.  I don't think she ever discarded unused prescription medicine.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Ilovepie said:

I also love that [Joey] is straddling the age between kid and teen, and they are nailing it. He is sometimes worldly and cool, and yet still playing with his younger brothers ("The floor is lava!").

That's a really good point.  I'm trying to figure out why I love that kid so much, and you may be on to something. 

We played "the floor is lava" and crawled on the furniture.  Is this something everybody did?  How did it get passed around like that?  Would kids even do that these days?  It seems like something that's cooked up when you're bored.

And that damn sign of peace.  As if it wasn't bad enough that I had to live through turning the priest around to face us and talking in ENGLISH, I tried going back to church as an adult and they had us shaking hands with strangers!  No. Thanks.  Sent me right out the door, never to return.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

We played "the floor is lava" and crawled on the furniture.  Is this something everybody did?  How did it get passed around like that?  Would kids even do that these days?  It seems like something that's cooked up when you're bored.

And that damn sign of peace.  As if it wasn't bad enough that I had to live through turning the priest around to face us and talking in ENGLISH, I tried going back to church as an adult and they had us shaking hands with strangers!  No. Thanks.  Sent me right out the door, never to return.

I don’t think my kids have played that game, but I know we did! It made me laugh seeing them do it! It’s right up there with building a fort out of furniture and blankets......

As far as shaking hands at church, you could just do what my 14 yo daughter (who has social anxiety) does - sit hunched over with her arms crossed giving anyone who looks her way the stink eye......sign of peace indeed! 😂

• Love 6

You're lucky to get by with a hand shake.  Episcopalians hug.  In college, when I tried to offer my hand, a youth leader kissed my arm.  

Edited by Phebemarie
Posted before I finished my thought.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

God I love this show and I think it's really finding it's groove.  So much good stuff this episode.  I loved how the three oldest boys appeared at the arch to the dining room with looks of awe, confusion, and amusement when Duncan's parents were apologizing to him.  Frank's head whipping back and forth at the dinner table between whoever was talking, and then nodding furiously in agreement with Mike.  Joey, Timmy, and William blowing things up (even in their church clothes before breakfast) and eventually "succeeding" with Frank's rocket - that in particular reminded me of my two sons who tried to blow all kinds of things up as kids.  Joey busting baby Andy down to 12 on the love list for draining all of them and bringing nothing to the table.  Lawrence continually trying to be the voice of sanity.  Joey putting his D+ to good use on Peg's beautiful table she bought at that store on the same block as the Ethan Allen.  Pat giving William his jell-o because he may have power over life and death.  Timmy feeling at home at the hospital because all they served was heated up frozen food.  Eddie's disbelief that Mike might have friends and relief in realizing it's just a "work" friend.  Joey admitting he broke the table trying to help William and WILL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN! But luckily he has a table guy who works off the books (of course he does).

Ok yeah, that's just about the whole show, but I really did love this episode.  and  I just realized I have finally learned everyone's names, so go me!  I also recommended the show to a friend of mine who had never heard of it and she loved it.  I don't know what the ratings are like, but I'm trying to do my part to spread the word.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 1/13/2019 at 12:20 AM, Nessie said:

God I love this show and I think it's really finding it's groove.  So much good stuff this episode.  I loved how the three oldest boys appeared at the arch to the dining room with looks of awe, confusion, and amusement when Duncan's parents were apologizing to him.  Frank's head whipping back and forth at the dinner table between whoever was talking, and then nodding furiously in agreement with Mike.  Joey, Timmy, and William blowing things up (even in their church clothes before breakfast) and eventually "succeeding" with Frank's rocket - that in particular reminded me of my two sons who tried to blow all kinds of things up as kids.  Joey busting baby Andy down to 12 on the love list for draining all of them and bringing nothing to the table.  Lawrence continually trying to be the voice of sanity.  Joey putting his D+ to good use on Peg's beautiful table she bought at that store on the same block as the Ethan Allen.  Pat giving William his jell-o because he may have power over life and death.  Timmy feeling at home at the hospital because all they served was heated up frozen food.  Eddie's disbelief that Mike might have friends and relief in realizing it's just a "work" friend.  Joey admitting he broke the table trying to help William and WILL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN! But luckily he has a table guy who works off the books (of course he does).

Ok yeah, that's just about the whole show, but I really did love this episode.  and  I just realized I have finally learned everyone's names, so go me!  I also recommended the show to a friend of mine who had never heard of it and she loved it.  I don't know what the ratings are like, but I'm trying to do my part to spread the word.

Bless you for writing all that out!  I thought about trying to mention all the funny bits when I posted earlier this week, but there are so many throughout the entire episode that, as with most episodes of this show, I just throw up my hands and settle for gushing that I loved the whole thing. This show is the BEST!  I hope more people continue to find it and love it too.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 6

Thanks for the list.  I haven't watched it a second time yet, and I miss a lot because the TV I'm using right now doesn't have captions and the dialogue on this show really flies.  I didn't know the justification for pushing Andy down the list.  Off the top of my head, I think Andy is the best use of a baby on a sitcom I've ever seen.

I've seen only 4 or 5 episodes and I just noticed Joey sitting at a separate table/desk/counter eating dinner.  Then in a photo or clip I saw a different kid over there.  Do they rotate who has to eat over there?  Have they ever mentioned it?  Or is it a reward for close viewing?  I know I got a real kick out of it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I've seen only 4 or 5 episodes and I just noticed Joey sitting at a separate table/desk/counter eating dinner.  Then in a photo or clip I saw a different kid over there.  Do they rotate who has to eat over there?  Have they ever mentioned it?  Or is it a reward for close viewing?  I know I got a real kick out of it.

When Lawrence came home from college in the first episode they rotated a kid out so Lawrence would have a spot. Not sure if they'd been doing that before he left, too, or if there wasn't a need yet. (Is Andy in a high chair, and maybe he was a newborn/ wasn't at the table yet when Lawrence was last home?)

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 12:20 AM, Nessie said:

Eddie's disbelief that Mike might have friends and relief in realizing it's just a "work" friend. 

My best friend growing up was one of ten kids.  This just made me realize that her parents didn't seem to have any friends either.  Her mother probably wished that her father had some friends and left the house once in a while so maybe she'd have gotten some time off from shooting kids out of her uterus like a Pez dispenser.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Thanks for the list.  I haven't watched it a second time yet, and I miss a lot because the TV I'm using right now doesn't have captions and the dialogue on this show really flies.  I didn't know the justification for pushing Andy down the list.  Off the top of my head, I think Andy is the best use of a baby on a sitcom I've ever seen.

:-) You're welcome.  Admittedly I do rewind the DVR a lot because I'm laughing too hard to catch everything that's said.

I just figured whoever was last to the table had to sit off to the side.  In the first dinner scene it was Joey, but later in that last scene with Mike's work "friend", it was Pat who was over there.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2019 at 12:31 PM, Phebemarie said:

You're lucky to get by with a hand shake.  Episcopalians hug.  In college, when I tried to offer my hand, a youth leader kissed my arm.  

Our church (Catholic) tried the hug at one point as an "option". Very few people did it, especially us kids at the ALL SCHOOL MASS! 

• Love 3

Just re-watched this one over the weekend and two things not mentioned here that made me laugh were William first falling when the lamp broke:  "Tacks!"  Then Joey exclaiming the same thing when he broke the table.  The other thing was when they first blew up the Pixie Stick and Joey says something like, "That was as disappointing as when Cathy Petrullo finally wore a tube top!"

I also laughed when Pat joins the family in making fun of Duncan's name and, when one of his brothers says, "I thought he was your friend," Pat is quick to respond, "BEST friend!"  It reminded me of the grinch episode where Joey and Timmy let Pat help them spy/get revenge on Frank from the treehouse, and Timmy says to Pat that he didn't really understand what their mission was and Pat grabs them both and proclaims, "You guys are my best friends!"  I wonder if poor little Pat latches onto any kind of friendship or inclusion where he has to because he was so sickly for so long and couldn't make a lot of friends?

• Love 3