Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
garnetarden

Hanna

Recommended Posts

New series coming to Amazon Prime in March 2019, adapted by the co-writer of the original feature film.

Quote

“Hanna” follows the journey of a young girl with extraordinary skills as she evades the relentless pursuit of an off-book CIA agent and tries to unearth the truth behind who she is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Super Bowl ad:

 

The first episode will be available as a sneak peak for 24 hours after the Super Bowl. The official series premiere is in March.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The show is actually live now.  I'm watching it instead of the second half of the Superbowl.

ETA:  So the episode was basically set up and I'm not quite sure why Mireille Enos's character is after Joel Kinnamon and his daughter's characters.  I imagine that's what we'll find out.  But it's fun to have The Killing duo back together again even if they didn't share scenes. 

The scenery was also gorgeous and atmospheric.  I might rewatch it when the rest of the episodes drop but I definitely think I'll continue. 

Plus, I love that it was only 48 minutes long. I find Amazon drama series (i.e. Bosch) are more willing to play with a running time that is closer to traditional commercial TV.  As a result, I find the episodes tighter and easier to binge.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I suppose this’ll get explained later, but why was baby Hanna being kept in some high security facility that her parents (I presume they’re her parents) had to break in to get her out? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I started off very strong on this but have lost interest by episode 5. I like Kinnaman and Creed-Miles well enough. There is something about Enos that is off putting. More importantly, I can guess the ending at this point and fear we will never know what Utrax or Utrachts (don’t know) was up to. If I have already been told, that shows just how uninvested I have become. I really want to like this but the bad guy side is a little too stereotypical.

Share this post


Link to post

I just binged the crap out of this and loved it. I would watch Joel Kinnaman in literally anything. I was actually worried about his safety the entire series so 

Spoiler

I was glad he didn’t die until the last couple of minutes of the series.  Without him, not sure I’d watch a second season if there is one, tbh  

There is, obviously, a lot that is not realistic, but I think the main thing for me was how easily Hanna moved around Europe never having left her forest. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm on episode 3 and also feel my interest waning. Not sure if this is a baby selling venture or something more. If someone would care to spoil me, I'd appreciate it as I'm not sure I will finish the series.

Edited by HollyG
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, HollyG said:

I'm on episode 3 and also feel my interest waning. Not sure if this is a baby selling venture or something more. If someone would care to spoil me, I'd appreciate it.

Ditto. I'm getting mild Orphan Black vibes (just swap clone with genetically engineered super soldier or something in that vein). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Ditto. I'm getting mild Orphan Black vibes (just swap clone with genetically engineered super soldier or something in that vein). 

That was one of my thoughts too. They are building super soldiers or something. I'm not sure why it's not working for me as I loved Orphan Black. I may not have the patience for this one though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Joel and Mirelle, back together again 

They weren't interesting in 'The Killing', and they're not interesting now

Share this post


Link to post

It's been years since I've watched the film, so I'm not sure if my preference for the theatrical release over the TV series is due to rose-colored glasses or if the story really is better served by a shorter runtime. The show allows us to see more of Hanna's experiences out in the world, but I find myself utterly bored during those scenes. There's only so many times I watch Hanna stand wide-eyed at the noise and crowds. Plus, as @Whimsy mentioned, I found Hanna's interactions with the wider world unrealistic, especially in how quickly she became friends with Sophie. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m on Episode 4 and need some answers. There needs to be some pay-off for watching. 

Share this post


Link to post

Finished the series and enjoyed it immensely. Sure I had to suspend disbelief in bunches of places, but I liked the characters a lot and though that Hanna and Erik had real father-daughter chemistry. 

Found it a satisfying ending. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I’m on episode 4 and my question is - why has no one cut and died Hanna’s hair so maybe she’ll not be so immediately recognizable?

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I’m on episode 4 and my question is - why has no one cut and died Hanna’s hair so maybe she’ll not be so immediately recognizable?

I was sort of wondering how they recognized a 16 year old from when she was a baby, but...

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The whole episode with Anton was Twilight Zonish. Hannah is at a party filled with people, makes eye contact with Anton, and it's love at first sight! And it turns out that it is the same boy that her friend has been raving about how gorgeous he is and who also has a thing about him. This guy? Come on. I've noticed an obsession with interracial relationships in British series the past few years, but this is an American series. then I noticed the writer (David Farr)  is British. That explains it - the British have an obsession in this area, for some psychological reasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm on episode 7. I like it, and watched the first three episodes last Friday, but I think it's convenient that she got her period, and immediately became rebellious, happened to meet a teenage boy, kind of go on a date, spark interest from the authorities, all in a couple of days? Then gets caught, deliberately, so that she can murder her way out of the facility, meet up with the girl, and so on. Gets to England, loses her virginity - how much time is supposed to have passed? 

Erik's own mother giving him up so easily, and saying he was always trouble - that's cold. 

On 4/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Pat Hoolihan said:

The whole episode with Anton was Twilight Zonish. Hannah is at a party filled with people, makes eye contact with Anton, and it's love at first sight! And it turns out that it is the same boy that her friend has been raving about how gorgeous he is and who also has a thing about him. This guy? Come on. I've noticed an obsession with interracial relationships in British series the past few years, but this is an American series. then I noticed the writer (David Farr)  is British. That explains it - the British have an obsession in this area, for some psychological reasons.

I'm British, and I disagree. It's just a normal thing in the UK. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I just binged this today. I liked the redemption arc of Marissa, I found her to be the most interesting character, she was definitely a badass. I don't know why she was settling for that relationship with the bossy, demanding French guy and his kid who hated her.

RIP Erik! I'll miss your pretty face in season 2.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, paulvdb said:
8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I just binged this today. I liked the redemption arc of Marissa, I found her to be the most interesting character, she was definitely a badass. I don't know why she was settling for that relationship with the bossy, demanding French guy and his kid who hated her.

RIP Erik! I'll miss your pretty face in season 2.

I have serious mixed emotions.  I guess I'll probably watched even though I said I was out because they killed Erik.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I have serious mixed emotions.  I guess I'll probably watched even though I said I was out because they killed Erik.  

If they had killed off Marissa too, I'd probably be out as well. Partly because I don't think the character of Hanna herself can carry the show, but also because I'm interested to see how Marissa parlays the situation as she manipulated it in the finale episode. And as the only adult left who has any concern over Hanna's welfare.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

If they had killed off Marissa too, I'd probably be out as well. Partly because I don't think the character of Hanna herself can carry the show, but also because I'm interested to see how Marissa parlays the situation as she manipulated it in the finale episode. And as the only adult left who has any concern over Hanna's welfare.

This is also why I would stick with it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to get through this show (I'm on Episode 4) because I liked the leads on The Killing, but I'm finding it pretty boring. I'll finish it because I'm a completist, but I doubt I'll be back for Season 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted to love this series. I really did. Great premise, the movie it was based on was well made and the pilot to this Amazon series was pretty riveting. But by episode 3 or 4, it started to drag, and by episode 7, the wheels had fallen off and it became a second-rate dumb action pic with a (mostly) predictable conclusion. Villains are cartoonishly dumb/evil, and the main story makes no sense most of the time.

The gems that are saving this from a one-star review are teenage actor Esme Creed-Miles, who plays the titular character, and the "Everyman" family in the U.K.

The bits I liked the most were Hanna's humanization once the main plot started to unfurl. We see how she was raised in the pilot, but that her humanity and teenage fragility was left out of her programming. Where she starts to pick up those pieces with Sophie's family is where this becomes a very engrossing story for me. Alas, those moments are too few and too far between, then gone completely, and it's back to shoot-em-ups and villains proverbially twirling their mustaches. 

Season 2 could be far more engrossing if they focus a lot more on Hanna's humanity, and (presumably) her reconnecting with Sophie's family, but I have my doubts that the Hollywood moneybags financing this are interested in anything more than another ridiculous CIA spy thriller with flying bullets and plenty of scenery porn that will attract the 18-24 YO set. I wish they'd have continued with Arvo (from episode 1) later on. Their interaction was great, and the characters had screen chemistry. Then poof.

This needed less Hollywood, and more humanity. 4/10, and that's being generous. Take out Sophie's family and friends and it's a 1/10.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×