Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

This being demoted sucks. End of an era type stuff.

In Roseanne news, I was watching the episode where Jackie invites Roseanne to therapy--I just realized the therapist is Rondi Reed who played Mike's mom on Mike & Molly (and was also recently on Midnight, Texas (may it RIP)). Amazing how different those glasses she wore on Mike & Molly made her look. Anyway, just a small observation to get this thread started! It's always interesting to finally recognize an actor from something you've seen a million times!

• Love 5

There really wasn't enough traffic to win a reprieve from the site admins for Roseanne being archived and converted to a topic. (We tried.)  And with a few exceptions, most of the pre-revival discussion was concentrated in the all episodes topic anyway.  The game topics are two of the exceptions.  

@Pallas and I discussed it and have decided to create new game topics in The Conners forum. Since the spin-off incorporates most of the original series, we feel like they should be equally at home there.  Feel free to visit them at the links below. 

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/89816-the-conners-alphabet-game/ 

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/89815-the-conners-trivia-game/

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Yes, Roseanne it was Sara's fault she helped get you a second chance that you used to ruin a once-great character. It was her fault you became an embarrassing liability that put her in an impossible situation. She's the villain for choosing the livelihood of a crew and their families whose jobs you endangered, along with the legacy of the show over your dumb, rich ass.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 16
46 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Yes, Roseanne it was Sara's fault she helped get you a second chance that you used to ruin a once-great character. It was her fault you became an embarrassing liability that put her in an impossible situation. She's the villain for choosing the livelihood of a crew and their families whose jobs you endangered, along with the legacy of the show over your dumb, rich ass.

No, it was your fault Roseanne and not Sara's.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

What an ass. It is sad that their once close relationship is ruined but Sara doesn’t need someone in her life like this, no one does.

She says she accepts the consequences and knows she did something wrong but she’s tried to blame HER actions on how many other people and things? Shutting up is the only positive thing she could do at this point.

Edited by Rebecca
Typo, grammar
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

What an ass. It is sad that their once close relationship is ruined but Sara doesn’t need someone in her life like this, no one does.

She says she accepts to consequences and knows she’s done wrong but she’s tried to blame HER actions on how many other people and things? Shutting up is the only positive thing she could do at this point.

I agree. She just needs to stop blaming people when she should be blaming herself.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, jsbt said:

They were struggling with her constantly and wanted to believe she could change.

I think they were also baffled by the disconnect by how normal she was in person and the insanity of her Twitter feed.  I understand it in those who'd known her for so long, since she changed a lot in the previous several years and their perception is so colored by their long history, but it bugs me that ABC execs danced around her so lightly.  Like her friend said, they had to know what they were getting into.  Yet they didn't demand a clause in her contract in order to greenlight the revival, and didn't even - once she showed she wasn't going to stop - step in and say, "Knock it off -- one more and you're out."  This is no one's fault but Roseanne's, I just wish the network hadn't waited until that one tweet to take real action instead of all that ineffective "nudging" that imposed no consequences for the tweets before it.

And, also, I love WaPo, but it sends me around the fucking bend when publications do not, in recapping Roseanne's various responses/excuses, follow their recounting of her I didn't know she was black; I wouldn't knowingly use ape imagery about a black person bullshit with a quote of Roseanne doing the same damn thing to Susan Rice five years prior ("Susan Rice is a man with big swinging ape balls").

It's infuriating to hear Roseanne, her son, and John Goodman categorize criticism of making Roseanne Conner a Trump supporter because of the specific examples of how it's inconsistent with nine years of characterization as attacking Roseanne Barr for her Trump cheering.

The network president's comment to reporters that season eleven would move away from politics - news to both Barr and Helford - and the possibility the writers met without her to discuss that season ramping up her paranoia to "they took my show" levels provides an interesting context for the daughter's immediate reaction of assuming self-sabotage (a theory I saw many viewers posit at the time, too).

• Love 6

I accidentally stumbled across these stories this evening and I can't believe she has put this ALLLLL on Sara. Roseanne herself took away her career and show. SHE did that allll alone and I'm sick of her bitching. 

It also flickered a memory of her making a statement somewhere (Can't recall if I saw it on the news or read it ) where Roseanne pinged Sara using the language of Sara's tweet. It sure came off as shady. Today it reaffirms what a POS she is.  There are just not enough adjectives to describe my disgust of Ms. Barr. 

I liked her comedy specials, followed the show but now SHE is canceled and deleted from my life. She has derailed. It's going to be even further now. For fucks sake she doesn't have ONE friend to tell her about herself??!!! 

I have friends that will kick my ass should I go sideways. She has no friends. And it's her fault.  

• Love 8

I don't think people like Goodman quite understand that you can be nice to people of other races/ethnicities/gender/etc when you are face to face but still be a racist, misogynist or whatever. Not to mention that Twitter seems to bring out the worst in people. (Or maybe it just brings out who you really are.)   

• Love 6

I was checking out the new Viacom content on the streaming app for PlutoTV earlier tonight and happened to notice that it has all 9 seasons of classic Roseanne.  If you have a Roku or similar device that has a PlutoTV app on it, you might want to check it out. (Be warned, it's an ad supported free channel.)   

The Sinclair streaming app STIRR also has the first season of Roseanne in their retro tv section.  Pluto wins with all 9 though. 

• Love 2

Saw the first episode/pilot from 1988 again last night on one of the cable sub channels.

It still holds up.  I laughed at most of the lines.

Forgot how much of a hottie John Goodman was in that first year.

Too bad Roseanne had that tweet storm back in 2019 (see above comments) which sullied the memory of the first 5 seasons of this classic sitcom as well as ended her reboot.  BTW, the Conners is getting better this season.

Edited by screengem
  • Love 5

I haven't watched this show in quite some time, but the episode when Becky and Darlene take Roseanne out for Mother's Day but it's all just to butter her up was on while I was going around the dial.  That moment at the beauty parlor when she realizes what's up is brutal enough in its realism, but then they get home.  Roseanne starts out sarcastic, answering Dan with "Quality time is for saps" and heading for the bedroom, but then comes back out and tells him what happened, and then falls into his arms and asks, "Why did they have to do that today?"  It's like Darlene reading her poem -- no matter how many times I've seen it, I cry every time.

And then Dan is perfect, both the anger ("Shut up.  And so I don't have to say it again in a minute, you shut up, too.") and getting it through their heads why Roseanne is so hurt, that spending the day with her was the greatest gift in the world to her, and that they didn't mean it left her crying her eyes out.  And, of course, capping it off by fixing what Roseanne had been yelling at him about at the beginning of the episode, the fact she's always the one who has to hand out punishments, so the kids are all always mad at her, not him:  he sentences them to a weekend at Bev's, complete with garden club members, a show tune singalong, and vacation slides.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I like that episode, too. Just so poignant and heartbreaking, for all the reasons you note. For some reason, I really like the way Dan does that little thing of rolling his hands at Roseanne when he's all, "Let's get changed" as they prepare to go out for dinner. I dunno why. Just a cute, encouraging gesture, or something. 

And yes, his punishment for the girls is perfect :D. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

And then Dan is perfect, both the anger ("Shut up.  And so I don't have to say it again in a minute, you shut up, too.") and getting it through their heads why Roseanne is so hurt, that spending the day with her was the greatest gift in the world to her, and that they didn't mean it left her crying her eyes out.  

It's moments like that where I can see my dad so clearly in Dan, because I know, I know, if my sister and I were ever to hurt our mom like that, and dared to be snarky about it besides, my dad would've responded exactly like that. 

I also caught the two-parter earlier with the bike shop closing down and Becky running off and marrying Mark, and hoo boy, it's just so intense. Goodman is so good in that one, too. He captures Dan's hurt and anger so well. I've heard that he never won an Emmy for this show, is that right? Absolutely crazy if true. 

(I also get a kick out of the audience's reaction during the part when Dan goes, "What do you mean you ran off and got married?!" There's people doing these low whistles, like, "Oooh...", and you can clearly hear somebody go, "Whoa!") 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
On 1/18/2020 at 5:38 PM, Annber03 said:

I like that episode, too. Just so poignant and heartbreaking, for all the reasons you note. For some reason, I really like the way Dan does that little thing of rolling his hands at Roseanne when he's all, "Let's get changed" as they prepare to go out for dinner. I dunno why. Just a cute, encouraging gesture, or something. 

And yes, his punishment for the girls is perfect :D. 

It's moments like that where I can see my dad so clearly in Dan, because I know, I know, if my sister and I were ever to hurt our mom like that, and dared to be snarky about it besides, my dad would've responded exactly like that. 

I also caught the two-parter earlier with the bike shop closing down and Becky running off and marrying Mark, and hoo boy, it's just so intense. Goodman is so good in that one, too. He captures Dan's hurt and anger so well. I've heard that he never won an Emmy for this show, is that right? Absolutely crazy if true. 

(I also get a kick out of the audience's reaction during the part when Dan goes, "What do you mean you ran off and got married?!" There's people doing these low whistles, like, "Oooh...", and you can clearly hear somebody go, "Whoa!") 

In its prime, no show was better at capturing moments that felt very real. These felt like three dimensional characters who were far from perfect. It felt so refreshing at the time.

• Love 7

I wish this show was on a channel that I get.  I totally went off Roseanne (the actress and the show) when she had her twitter meltdown but now that The Connors is doing well and she seems to have quieted down - or anyway no one is paying any attention to her -  I'd love to see this show again.  At least before it went to hell in a handcart - which I kind of date from when Becky (original recipe) ran off with Mark.  There were good episodes after that but for me it was never the same.

• Love 3

I've got TVLand's season one marathon on as background noise, and something that always bugs me just aired:  Dan's sleep deprivation when Bev and Al make a surprise visit is hilarious, but the whole where's everyone going to sleep? hoopla that sets it in motion is ridiculous.  The answer is obvious: the girls will sleep on cots in the living room so the grandparents can have their room.  And Becky tells them, twice, that's what they did last time.  (This time Jackie is there, too, but that just means she takes D.J.'s bed and he sleeps in a sleeping bag.)

Roseanne and Dan having a miserable night on those cots was entirely on them (mostly Roseanne); the kids can conk out anywhere, and indeed readily offered up their beds, and Bev and Al certainly didn't ask for the master bedroom - they said they'd sleep anywhere (other than a communist country - "well, God bless America").  And this was all before Al referenced moving to Lanford, so the freak-out that induced isn't even the reason for all the stupid confusion.

• Love 4

There are some good episodes with great moments in season one, but I think "Inherit the Wind" (the season two opener) is the show's first truly great episode.  Honest and hilarious treatment of things like bra stuffing, accidental farts, siblings squabbling, plus the beginning of the fallout from Roseanne quitting Wellman - she's selling magazine subscriptions over the phone and can't go buy a dress for this shindig they have to go to.

And, from this:

-I'm quitting pep squad, I'm quitting school, I'm never going back again!  And if anybody calls me, tell them I'm dead!
-Well, it must be serious - she's not taking phone calls.

To the end, every single line of dialogue is perfect.  All the funny things that happen in such a short span of time - Darlene telling the story, Dan unable to stop laughing in order to go talk to Becky, Roseanne taking over and blowing it with both of her own stories, Jimmy showing up, and Becky finally venturing back downstairs - happen via sharp yet realistic dialogue that still makes me laugh and quote along with multiple parts of it 30 years later:

Becky cut.the.cheese.

'cause I figure this is your area of expertise.

Barry! Watnick!  His name was Barry Watnick.  Every time
you tell that story, you say, "I can remember it like it was yesterday, that creep Barry Watnick stole my diary."  Nice try.

-Hey, Jimmy Meltrigger's downstairs waiting for you.
-Oh my god.
-That's what I said.  Ooh, he ain't bad.
-He's just keeping the date to be nice.
-Oh, and what a rotten character trait that is.
Now why don't you get downstairs before Aunt Jackie runs off with your date?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 6/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, Bastet said:

To the end, every single line of dialogue is perfect.  All the funny things that happen in such a short span of time - Darlene telling the story, Dan unable to stop laughing in order to go talk to Becky, Roseanne taking over and blowing it with both of her own stories, Jimmy showing up, and Becky finally venturing back downstairs - happen via sharp yet realistic dialogue that still makes me laugh and quote along with multiple parts of it 30 years later

All of this, but my absolute favorite part of this episode is when Darlene silently walks into the living room where Becky is sulking on the couch. The entire scene is silent, with cuts between Becky and Darlene...Becky knows she's up to something and is glaring at her, Darlene is acting nonchalant, then all of a sudden she puts her hands to her face and blows a raspberry and Becky gets up and runs upstairs. It cracks me up every.single.time.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

All of this, but my absolute favorite part of this episode is when Darlene silently walks into the living room where Becky is sulking on the couch. The entire scene is silent, with cuts between Becky and Darlene...Becky knows she's up to something and is glaring at her, Darlene is acting nonchalant, then all of a sudden she puts her hands to her face and blows a raspberry and Becky gets up and runs upstairs. It cracks me up every.single.time.

The episode is just so wonderful done. It's not only a classic, but does stand the test of time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

It's been almost 30 years and I'm still impressed by the actress who played the mom of Becky's friend who got drunk with her when they got into the liquor cabinet.

She will forever be the woman at the strip club in Summer School to me, but I agree, she does a good job; I think she plays the character's emotions very naturally.  Dana's mom is out of line accusing Dan and Roseanne of doing something wrong, but it's understandable why she's upset - she's got a 14-year-old kid at home with a hangover.  I like her opening line, about how it's hard keeping an eye on her kid as a single parent, so she has to count on other parents to help out once in a while.

Speaking of that episode, to this day if I am hungover and get a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I say, "I look like I've been reincarnated as a rag."

Also, Darlene cracks me up when Dan asks Becky who was the bartender, and Darlene helps out with, "Wasn't it that girl who was over here studying with you?"

I think it's one of TV's best teen drinking episodes, because the parents were angry but didn't make it into more than it is; they firmly avoided the After-School Special feel.  I like Roseanne's attitude:  "You know, I'm not so much bothered by the fact that you took a drink.  I mean, you tried it, you got sick, you got caught.  What really bugs the hell out of me is that I just can't trust you anymore, and I always thought I could."

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, Bastet said:

Also, Darlene cracks me up when Dan asks Becky who was the bartender, and Darlene helps out with, "Wasn't it that girl who was over here studying with you?"

Honestly, I've never really understood why that line gets such a big laugh. For some reason, it doesn't land right with me. I mean, is Darlene trying to pretend that she doesn't know the angry lady in the living room is Dana's mom? Was she trying to make a bad joke that she instantly realized wasn't funny? I don't know, I just didn't get why she said it. 

Anyway, it's one of my favorite episodes, but I cringe at the way Lecy plays drunk, except for the bit where she falls over the couch and immediately jumps up and exclaims "whoa!" But I thought the actress playing Dana was much better at acting drunk. However, I thought Lecy nailed being hungover, lol.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Honestly, I've never really understood why that line gets such a big laugh. For some reason, it doesn't land right with me. I mean, is Darlene trying to pretend that she doesn't know the angry lady in the living room is Dana's mom? Was she trying to make a bad joke that she instantly realized wasn't funny? I don't know, I just didn't get why she said it. 

It's the whole thing of this mom getting on her high horse and criticizing Dan and Roseanne's parenting skills, while her own daughter was the one who was helping to make the drinks. Her child wasn't innocent, either, so Darlene's comment was just kinda quietly pointing out the hypocrisy of the mom's "How could you let your kid be so irresponsible?" tirade. 

• Love 2

It's just one of the great moments in the sister dynamic - Darlene is annoyed and a little bit worried by Becky's behavior, not wanting to have a boozer for a sister when she already has to live down her nerd legacy, and tormenting her with graphic descriptions of food.  But she also had put her to bed and covered for her with their parents, and when Becky is about to get nailed because Dana's mom has showed up, she takes a shot at deflecting blame onto some girl she doesn't give a shit about, an effort to protect her sister everyone can see through.  It's funny in its awkwardness, and also a bit lovely.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

Anyway, it's one of my favorite episodes, but I cringe at the way Lecy plays drunk, except for the bit where she falls over the couch and immediately jumps up and exclaims "whoa!" But I thought the actress playing Dana was much better at acting drunk. However, I thought Lecy nailed being hungover, lol.

I agree, she's not very good at playing drunk, but fantastic at playing hungover - hopefully, at her age, she had no experience with the former and was just mimicking other screen performances (most of which, at least on sitcoms, aren't very accurate, so if you go broad on something already overdone, this is what results), whereas she could at least draw upon having the stomach flu or similar to play the latter.

• Love 4

So I've always loved the Halloween episodes, like many people. I watched them over and over again when I was a teenager and throughout the years. I remember watching the first one "BOO!" again a few years ago, and when Roseanne asked the girls what they're gonna dress up as, Becky sarcastically says "Ooh maybe I'll be Wonder Woman!" And Darlene says she'll be Casper the friendly Ghost. Anyway Becky's line totally caught me by surprise. I could have sworn she said "maybe I'll be a princess", not Wonder Woman! Does anyone else remember that, or am I crazy? Even hearing her say Wonder Woman just doesn't sound right at all. I remember it being princess and it made sense. 

#mandelaeffect lol 

• Love 1

Started watching this again and am also impressed with how really good they are and stand up pretty well. For me, it's like comfort food during this past 6 months of upheaval and disbelief at what has happened in our country. Can't see friends so, have to watch "old friends" on television. 

• Love 4
On 6/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, Giuseppe said:

I thought Crystal coming over with a card was funny cause only Crystal would do something like that:)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I thought Crystal coming over with a card was funny cause only Crystal would do something like that:)

Crystal and Roseanne:

-Lonnie told me about Becky's unfortunate accident; I'm so sorry.
-Yeah, we're thinking of having her put to sleep.
-I brought Becky a card [handing over a seriously-oversized envelope].
-Well, how thoughtful ... and strange.

[Crystal leaves, and Dan enters]

-You know, they say they make a card for everything; what do you wanna bet?
-[Dan opens and reads the card] I'll be damned.

Yes, so very Crystal!  And she drives me nuts, but always has these little moments that amuse me.

• Love 3

Started watching the series.  So I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

In "The Slice Of Life", what exactly happened with the health insurance?  I was confused.

So Dan and Roseanne sent the check.  Why did they then say over the phone that they got a cancelled check back?

Did people physically get cancelled checks back, in the 80s?

So it appears they paid.  But somehow, the insurance company, filed the payment under a misspelled last name?  Is that what happened?

Why did the hospital receptionist say the insurance card was expired?

And they did this after the patient, Darlene, was already prepped for surgery?

Normally when the legal guardian checks in, they hand the receptionist the insurance card.

Did the receptionist then have call the insurance to verify if it was still active, in the 80s?

Would treatment be denied if the insurance had expired?

Normally, they don't worry about billing until after everything is done.  Then the hospital tries to bill insurance.  Any amount left over would then be sent to the legal guardian.

So why all of this talk about billing and insurance up front, in the waiting room?  Did that really happen in the 80s?  Or wouldn't they just try to bill insurance first, after all of the treatment was done?

2 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

Did people physically get cancelled checks back, in the 80s?

Yes, and long after, from the bank; they came with the monthly statements.

3 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

So it appears they paid.  But somehow, the insurance company, filed the payment under a misspelled last name?  Is that what happened?

Presumably, yes - the payment didn't get credited to their account, because someone at the insurance company spelled their name wrong (probably typing Connor instead of Conner).  This, of course, requires suspension of disbelief that the clerk would be entering a last name instead of an account number, but yes - it was just a clerical error, the misspelling, that caused their insurance policy to come up as lapsed when the hospital ran it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/28/2020 at 2:26 PM, Bastet said:

Yes, and long after, from the bank; they came with the monthly statements.

Presumably, yes - the payment didn't get credited to their account, because someone at the insurance company spelled their name wrong (probably typing Connor instead of Conner).  This, of course, requires suspension of disbelief that the clerk would be entering a last name instead of an account number, but yes - it was just a clerical error, the misspelling, that caused their insurance policy to come up as lapsed when the hospital ran it.

Thanks.

At the end of the Season 1 episode, "Dear Mom And Dad", what was with the cameo during the closing sequence?  Is there more to the scene about Willis being in bed, that I should know about?  For example, was that a reference to something Willis had done prior to that episode?

Edited by nuraman00

Between DJ drawing a picture of flowers, and saying that it's "Darlene's grave" in an earlier episode, and then during "Death And Stuff", him giving out toe tags, his character is a lot more mature about death than most 6 year olds.

The dead salesman slapping Dan's butt was some great physical comedy.

So was the scene when Roseanne stormed out of the bedroom saying that it was like an episode of Oprah; followed by Jackie; then followed by Dan in an intentional feminine strut.

• Love 1

Watching the montage at the end of the season 1 finale, there was a scene where Roseanne was on the couch.  Dan jumped off of the couch, then back onto the couch, then over her.  Where was that from?

Watch from 24:09 - 24:15 here:

I've been watching the original series as a palate cleanser from the depressing reboot and I just saw the episode where Becky and Mark take out Dan's bike. It's always been a favorite, John Goodman knocks it out of the park, but this time it was Becky's dialogue that struck me. She insists that she's way too young to get married and that she wanted to have a career first, etc. 

Very depressing to revisit that not only knowing that one season later, she'd go off and marry Mark, but even moreso to watch it knowing what 40-something Becky's life ended up being. And that Mark, the reason she threw her whole future away, died so young. 

• Love 5
On 11/15/2020 at 3:27 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I've been watching the original series as a palate cleanser from the depressing reboot and I just saw the episode where Becky and Mark take out Dan's bike. It's always been a favorite, John Goodman knocks it out of the park, but this time it was Becky's dialogue that struck me. She insists that she's way too young to get married and that she wanted to have a career first, etc. 

Very depressing to revisit that not only knowing that one season later, she'd go off and marry Mark, but even moreso to watch it knowing what 40-something Becky's life ended up being. And that Mark, the reason she threw her whole future away, died so young. 

And I was struck by the season 3 episode where Roseanne asked Darlene if she felt like she expected less from her than Becky...and Darlene explaining that Becky was book smart while Darlene was street smart.  That if both ended up in the woods that Darlene would find her way home, but poor Becky wouldn't.

Darlene (pre layoff) seemed to have carved a nice existence in Chicago with her 2 kids as a single mom..even logically going back home when her job ended.  She usually had a plan B if things went awry...while poor Becky didn't.

• Love 2