Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I don't understand why he insisted on making the chandelier and didn't concentrate on making tulips. That made no sense. I also don't understand why he acted as if everything went smoothly when the judges criticized his work. Why didn't he say that he ran out of time because he redid the cake? Why didn't he say that he just wanted to get some flowers on there? These are the kind of things that make me not like him. It gave me the impression that he didn't think the criticism was justified and/or expected that he wouldn't get criticized for that when he knew full well that this was coming.

I think this is down to the editing monkeys.  Sometimes we see bakers tell the judges when something went wrong, other times we don't.  If it were me, I'd be sure to let them know that this was a second effort and not what was intended.  And who knows if producers step in and tell the bakers what they should and shouldn't say.  As for the chandelier, you're right, he was completely focused on making it and couldn't seem to recalibrate.  

• Like 7

I was only barely paying attention, so take this for what it's worth, but I'm guessing the decision to keep Molly had less to do with her specifically or the fact that she was the last woman left, and more to do with their insistence on doing a bake-off in the final 4, stretching the finale to 2 hours. They had that format set from the beginning, so they weren't going to eliminate anyone regardless, or it would throw everything off. Maybe it was just more obvious than usual this time that someone should have been eliminated after this challenge, so it's sticking out more.

25 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I was only barely paying attention, so take this for what it's worth, but I'm guessing the decision to keep Molly had less to do with her specifically or the fact that she was the last woman left, and more to do with their insistence on doing a bake-off in the final 4, stretching the finale to 2 hours. They had that format set from the beginning, so they weren't going to eliminate anyone regardless, or it would throw everything off. Maybe it was just more obvious than usual this time that someone should have been eliminated after this challenge, so it's sticking out more.

Good point that this was probably set from the beginning to stretch the finale. 

• Like 5

I also don't understand why he acted as if everything went smoothly when the judges criticized his work. Why didn't he say that he ran out of time because he redid the cake? Why didn't he say that he just wanted to get some flowers on there? These are the kind of things that make me not like him. It gave me the impression that he didn't think the criticism was justified and/or expected that he wouldn't get criticized for that when he knew full well that this was coming.

Or maybe he's just not the type of person who likes to make excuses for their work. (Or, like Rammchick said above, it may have just been edited out.) YMMV, obviously, but it didn't give me the impression he didn't think the criticism was warranted. That being said, I don't know why he ever thought piping a few tulips on a chandelier was going to cut it. 

• Like 4

So happy to see we will have Summer Baking Championship. I need shows like.this and British Bake Off to keep me happy.

All of these shows are edited. The actual judging take much longer than what we see. I would love to see a behind the scenes show. It is my understanding that with photgraphing, judging etc these are very long days.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3

I feel like this is the first week Christian wore short sleeves, because I hadn’t noticed his tattoo before.  It was distracting me because I wanted to see the whole piece of cake.

”It’s strawberry shortcake.”  “Why didn’t you say that?”  Because it’s French!”  That made me laugh.

I know Molly didn’t know what a granita was, but the editors focusing on what appeared to be her constant questions was irritating.

The champion of these shows often feels out of left field, and that’s what it’s going to feel like if Christian or Clement do not win.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

But at least with the ice cream sandwich, he his flavors were pretty much there. 

That's a question I had. The judges mentioned the rosé flavor and they mentioned hibiscus. But hibiscus was not part of his cocktail. So, were the other flavors there? You'd think after Luke did not do so well when he did grapefruit the first time, they'd mention the grapefruit part in some way but they didn't. That was weird.

But Molly did have all the flavors. They said the rosé flavor was subtle but subtle still means it was there and they mentioned the other two flavors as well.

I had hoped they wouldn't keep Molly just because she was the last woman but even though her dessert was not as fancy, I got the impression that overall, her dessert was better.

7 hours ago, Shenanigan7070 said:

Or maybe he's just not the type of person who likes to make excuses for their work.

I wouldn't consider it an excuse if he'd acknowledged the lack of tulips and been like "I wanted to do something else but it is what it is". 🤷‍♀️

Something that just occurred to me: what was he doing while the second cake was baking? Wouldn't he have done the cake's filling while the first cake was baking?

7 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I was only barely paying attention, so take this for what it's worth, but I'm guessing the decision to keep Molly had less to do with her specifically or the fact that she was the last woman left, and more to do with their insistence on doing a bake-off in the final 4, stretching the finale to 2 hours.

That's what I thought as well.

8 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I think this is down to the editing monkeys. 

Maybe but Christian is the baker who never told the judges anything and always acted like what he's presenting is exactly what he intended to present. He never admitted to any mistakes and when he made up stories like the one when he baked the ice cream cones, he always did so sounding dead serious. With other bakers, they may make something up as well but you can tell that they're kind of making it up because something went wrong.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The champion of these shows often feels out of left field, and that’s what it’s going to feel like if Christian or Clement do not win.

Oh, gawd, don't say that. I'm having terrifying flashbacks to the mega annoying little baldheaded home cook guy who won his season. All those folksy sayings of his made me projectile barf.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 5
Spoiler

In the preview, they showed how the final bake will be making a wedding cake for a specific couple. I wonder how that will effect Christian's creativity? Will he be able to fulfill someone else's vision?

Discussion of the preview scene.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, carrps said:

Oh, gawd, don't say that. I'm having terrifying flashbacks to the mega annoying little baldheaded home cook guy who won his season. All those folksy sayings of his made me projectile barf.

"Well, shut my mouth and butter me up cause I'm a biscuit!"  

The nonsense Jason (think that's his name) spewed....

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I think Jason was a judge on an episode of Supermarket Stakeout last season.

I still can’t get over how pretty Clement’s strawberry shortcake was.  And I’m glad they all seem to have good relationships with their mothers because otherwise AWKWARD.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And I’m glad they all seem to have good relationships with their mothers because otherwise AWKWARD.

This reminds me of the Mother's Day episode a few seasons ago, where someone, probably prompted by a producer, asked Tati if she wanted to talk about her mother and she said no 😆 

Ah, Tati. One of my all-time favorites 🥰

40 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think Jason was a judge on an episode of Supermarket Stakeout last season.

I still can’t get over how pretty Clement’s strawberry shortcake was.  And I’m glad they all seem to have good relationships with their mothers because otherwise AWKWARD.

For some reason my Instragram feed is full of strawberry desserts and Clement's fraisier cake would have been even better if he had cut the strawberries into tulip shapes like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLRZ5R0D9Sc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 4

Yes Jason did play up his southern schtick - but to be fair he was that way from the beginning - I suspect publicists and the network have just encouraged him over the years and it has gotten more extreme.  Having said that, the man was definitely a gifted baker, especially considering he was a home baker.

• Like 24
11 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Yes Jason did play up his southern schtick - but to be fair he was that way from the beginning - I suspect publicists and the network have just encouraged him over the years and it has gotten more extreme.  Having said that, the man was definitely a gifted baker, especially considering he was a home baker.

I didn’t mind Jason, maybe because I’ve lived about a third of my life in the south, or maybe because I did see a lot of what he did as a sort of persona meant to get him more airtime. He mentioned in an interview that he realized early on in the filming that he really liked being on camera.

I liked him as a contestant because he seemed to pay attention to what the judges liked or disliked each week and adjusted accordingly. One week he made a down home molasses smash cookie they hated, and he figured out that the judges weren’t into those old fashioned earthy flavors and didn’t try it again. Personally, I grew up with a version of that cookie and love it. I have served it to people not of my background and gotten a WTH did you just try to feed me reaction, so I feel for him.

Anyway, this is getting far off track of this season’s show, so back on topic. Didn’t last year’s sprinkle scandal start with four people moving on to the final and then finding out at the last minute that one of them would be eliminated? Perhaps not. I’m not willing to rewatch that season to confirm. At least this time they were forewarned.

• Like 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, 2soon2tell said:

Anyway, this is getting far off track of this season’s show, so back on topic. Didn’t last year’s sprinkle scandal start with four people moving on to the final and then finding out at the last minute that one of them would be eliminated? Perhaps not. I’m not willing to rewatch that season to confirm. At least this time they were forewarned.

If I remember correctly, it was a similar setup to this year:  two were already confirmed for the finals, and the two men below them were told they'd have to compete to make it into the finals.  Annoying Molly announced with great glee, "And the one ingredient that has to be the star of your bake-off entry is my favorite thing . . . sprinkles."  

Neither man looked pleased, and as they walked to the supply area in the back of the studio, the VERY professional French baker, Romy, said to his competitor, "I am not going to be judged on my ability to use sprinkles."  He then turned to the right and walked off the set.  The gentleman he was competing against went on to the finals by default.

Romy said in later interviews that he was not going to compromise his dignity or integrity by making sprinkles the star of an important bake.  And I stood and applauded him for it.

I had no idea who Molly was before I saw her on this show, and I will not ever watch anything else in which she is participating.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Romy said in later interviews that he was not going to compromise his dignity or integrity by making sprinkles the star of an important bake.  And I stood and applauded him for it.

Me, too.

• Like 14
(edited)

Molly and Luke are making bride and groom doughnuts for the bakeoff. Luke poured frozen blueberries into his batter which i think will bite him unless he adjusted his liquids.

Edited by Lamb18
(edited)

So, by keeping Molly and Luke for a bakeoff, they did have a woman still in the episode.      I thought Molly's doughnuts looked so much more bridal than Luke's dish.  

I hate to say this, but Clement's finger doesn't look appropriate for a family show.   It looked like something else entirely.     Luke really screwed up.  Christian and Clement did an great job on the preheat, but Luke flopped badly.     I'm guessing it will be Clement or Christian for the win.  

Where did they get the engaged couples from?   I wonder if they had some poor production assistant running around asking if anyone is engaged and wants a free cake and to be on TV?  Or if the couples were recruited from the production company. 

Christian's cake should have been started over when he wasn't sure how much sugar he put in the batter.   It would have taken very little time to start over at that point.   Now Christian is really behind.  

I really like that each baker's best bakes are shown, all three have done spectacular work. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, susannot said:

Can't believe that all 3 couples were white and hetero.

I was just coming here to say that. We couldn't get people of color or same sex? And the women are all blondes. Really vanilla. The show could have done better. Blah. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 8
Just now, susannot said:

I really thought that at least one couple would be gay since they showed the touching proposal from Luke's boyfriend.

Me too! And his husband is black! 

I already could care less about these couples.

• Like 6
(edited)

I really don't like Christian's cake.   I like Clement's with the lace.   Luke is so far behind, and I hate that for him.     Why can't they give the bakers enough time to put out a good product, and then give them a few hours more for decorating? 

Hell will freeze over, but I agree with Nancy saying Christian's cake is too brown.   

Christian's cake layers not only look heavy, but underbaked.

Congratulations to Luke, and also to Christian and Clement.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really don't like Christian's cake.   I like Clement's with the lace.   Luke is so far behind, and I hate that for him.     Why can't they give the bakers enough time to put out a good product, and then give them a few hours more for decorating?   

Clements cake has too many thick branches, it is a bit much but it is lovely over all.

You know these couples will not have these cakes at their weddings. 

• Like 5
Just now, susannot said:

I do agree that the thick branches did not look pretty, but the 150 delicate pink flowers made up for that.

Yea, I would have left off the thick branch. 

• Like 10
(edited)

I'm hoping for Luke but I do like all 3 contestants. 

4 minutes ago, susannot said:

I don't disagree but they are raving about the taste of Luke's cake.

Honestly, his was my favorite. 

And Duff about the Eiffel tower.... it has special meaning to the couple. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 4
(edited)

FFS! Again they were all crooked!

Congrats to Luke. That wedding cake nailed it for him. It was elegant, beautiful and delicious. 

Spoiler

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Oof, that’s a disappointment for me. I like Luke a lot as a person, but it’s hard to see someone other than Clement or Christian win when they have been turning out professional, GORGEOUS dessert consistently all season. Luke has done some beautiful work (the Holi cheesecake comes to mind) but lots that was mediocre or subpar as well, including two bakes of the three in this literal finale episode. Hard to believe his cake tasted *that* much better. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 3

I wanted Clement to win! But, not too upset Luke won. I knew Christian was out of it when they said his cake was dry. 

I wonder what those cakes would have looked like if the tree and Eiffel Tower were on top, instead of engulfing the cake like Clement did... and just slapping something on the side like Luke did. 

• Like 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, BryroseA said:

Oof, that’s a disappointment for me. I like Luke a lot as a person, but it’s hard to see someone other than Clement or Christian win when they have been turning out professional, GORGEOUS dessert consistently all season. Luke has done some beautiful work (the Holi cheesecake comes to mind) but lots that was mediocre or subpar as well, including two bakes of the three in this literal finale episode. Hard to believe his cake tasted *that* much better. 

Do you ever watch GBBO? You could be star baker one week and go home the next.

It is also hard to say something was mediocre if you didn't taste any of them? Remember there is a lot of editing that goes into these shows. They like to lead you on..... 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1

Christian's resistance to immediately remix batter while being unsure of the ingredient amounts he added was just ridiculous.  Lost all that time baking trashcan cakes for no good reason.  

"I'll just risk it."  WHAT?!

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
1 minute ago, littlebennysmom said:

Christian's resistance to immediately remix batter while being unsure of the ingredient amounts he added was just ridiculous.  Lost all that time baking trashcan cakes for no good reason.  

"I'll just risk it."  WHAT?!

He took risks all the time and I credit him for that. But yea, he should have redone them right away. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2

I'm going to be the cranky-ass poster.  No way  do I think Luke should have won. The judges need to stop judging a ten-week competition like it's one episode of Christmas Cookie Challenge.  Christian and Clement are both stronger bakers than Luke, in my opinion. I'd probably put Clement first, Christian second, and Luke third.

This season is the second year in a row that we've had two highly skilled French pastry chefs and neither won the competition. Luke didn't even have decorations on his cake until the last 15 minutes. Both Christian and Clement were more skilled and innovative over the course of the competition, in my opinion.

I like this show, but the judging is leaving much to be desired.

• Like 16
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1