Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: A New Day

I can't decide whether I'm going to watch this.  My frothy little bit of fun has headed down storyline paths I just do not like, and as a silly diversion it's not the type of show where I'm invested enough to muddle through -- if it stops entertaining me, I have no use for it.  But I am loath to walk away from one of television's few good presentations of female friendship, so I may grab a cocktail or three and see where things go, especially with a new showrunner.

• Love 1

Frost's death will be dealt with in two episodes, if I remember correctly. 

I don't mind the Frankie/Maura thing. I have always felt that they will go that route. I sensed something between them before. But I do think that if Eric Winter was available, BT was going to be Maura's love interest and not Frankie.

I don't like Jane's pregnancy one bit. I hope it's a false-positive.

If they run with the pregnancy plot and put Frankie and Maura together I'll probably bail.  I've already suffered through Casey, I just can't with these two plots, especially the pregnancy.

• Love 3

I have the same problem with the pregnancy as I do Maura/Frankie- they both follow the shift towards the show being Rizzoli-centric. I don't have a problem with one of them being pregnant. I just wish it was Maura instead of Jane. We have enough Rizzoli family drama without adding that to it for Jane. Not to mention, trying to make her relationship with Casey work or dealing with the breakup when she had been ready to finally say yes was plenty of drama without knocking her up and kicking the daddy off-screen. That just annoys me, particularly since nothing about what I saw of Casey tells me he would disappear on his kid.

On a similar note, I don't have a problem with Maura dating Frankie (other than while I see his interest, I don't see hers other than his last name). I like him and I think he and Maura could be interesting together. I would just like to see Maura with a 'Casey'- ie a life separate from the family, Jane's or Hope. How about they bring back Maura's parents, the ones who raised her and she calls Mother and Father but typically forgets exist, and someone she knew before or outside of her job and balance the show back a little to being about Jane and Maura.

But I am loath to walk away from one of television's few good presentations of female friendship

This. Their friendship is the reason that I may get annoyed and skip a few eps but always end up going back and watching them all. And it is the reason I will be watching on Tuesday. I just hope they let it evolve with more decisions and angst about life pulling them apart over time than hissy fits over Paddy.

• Love 2

Damn, show.

This has been a light, fluffy thing I enjoy in spite of itself – the acting is fine but just that and the writing is worse, but it’s a genuine, non-competitive friendship between two women with full lives, so I’m in.  Except the pregnancy storyline turns me off on many levels, so I may be out.  But I knew the news of Frost’s car accident would come at the end of this episode and I got home in time to have a glass of Maker’s Mark beforehand, so I watched.

Blah, blah,blah, babycakes and all that.  But when Korsak took that call, I actually got chills.  Then everyone’s reaction at the scene – spot on.

I hope next week is entirely about Frost.

(And I'm SO glad the Frankie/Maura thing was dispatched with.  If I could say the same of the pregnancy, I'd be really excited for this summer season.)

Really not into the pregnancy storyline.  

Next week, they're dealing with Frost's death.  I had always wanted Frost and Maura to get together.  

I know next week I will cry buckets.  I remember reading an interview somewhere with Angie Harmon about how difficult it was to deal with on set...heartbreaking.

So sad. 

(edited)

According to an interview on TV Guide's website today, Maura is going to start dating another guy, so anyone who is cringing at the Frankie Maura kiss you should be fine. I don't see how Jane is going to be pregnant and running around chasing bad guys, so I wonder if a miscarriage is coming later on. Even though I knew what was coming at the end tonight I still bawled like a baby and I know that next week will be worse. Also in that interview they discuss the how and why of the way they handle Lee Thompsons death. I would post a link but my phone is being stupid. Just Google TV Guide Rizzoli and Isles and you will find it.

Edited by missbonnie
(edited)

GREAT premiere. 

One conversation took care of that ridiculous Maura/Frankie mess of yester season. 

I take back everything I said about Jane's pregnancy after the season finale .. Jane being pregnant is great and hilarious! 

Jan Nash, you done good! Saw the change your first episode outta the gate as showrunner. 

Edited by Samantha84
(edited)

I'm rarely happy with pregnancy storylines, but this could be interesting, with Jane wanting to continue on like nothing was going on, her mom hovering over her and Maura constantly telling her why she feels like she does and maybe offering 'natural' remedies for everything from morning sickness to swollen ankles.

The last five minutes were tough, which means next week will be a bad one (emotion-wise).

However, I wasn't too impressed with the murder plot this week.  I knew it was the ex-husband's girlfriend even before Maura said that a woman had murdered the jogger.  No surprises, except that I wasn't sure if the ex-husband was in on it, or if the girlfriend had killed the woman and then given away the baby so that she and the guy could be by themselves.  One thing I noticed, was when Jane found the abandoned stroller at the water's edge and they realized that the jogger had been running with her baby, I reversed the DVR recording and re-watched the attack.  I didn't see any evidence that she was running with a baby stroller. I've seen people running with those made specially for that, and even if you are tethered to it, you have to use your hands to hold on to it.  You could see her arms moving freely just like it was just her.  Shouldn't her arms have been down if she had been jogging with a stroller?  It just didn't seem to be an effective scene to me.

However, I'm glad this show is back!

Edited by BooksRule

Hmmm.  I was going to be strong and drop this show like I have so many in the past few months.  My addiction to TV is driving me crazy!  Got to thin it out a bit. Jane being pregnant was perfect for me.  It didn't make me hate the show, I just wasn't as interested in it anymore because I am never, ever interested in pregnancy or children story lines.  Also, I had to really get over some problems I had with Angie Harmon.  I surprised myself with how easily I was able to see "Jane Rizzoli" and not Angie Harmon.  She is great with the funny faces and that caught me off guard. Heh! 

Someone upthread mentioned that it felt like it was becoming a bit more the "Jane" show and that maybe Maura was being left behind a bit.  Maybe that's what was being said. If I have that wrong, sorry.  But, I did get that feeling.  This was just the first episode back and I can't help but think about all of the actors still being in shock because of sweet, sweet, Lee Thompson Young.  Next week will be sad as sad can be.

I'm going to watch at least four or more episodes because, well, because there is a whimsy that I hope is still there, a very strong female friendship that I no longer need to be anything more than what it is and because I love Maura, Mama Angela, Detective Korsak and good guy Frankie Rizzoli Jr. 

If I want great writing or interesting story lines, I can always watch Masterpiece Theatre or True Blood ( when it's good ).

If they run with the pregnancy plot and put Frankie and Maura together I'll probably bail.  I've already suffered through Casey, I just can't with these two plots, especially the pregnancy.

This. This show was so good at the beginning, why do they always have to ruin good suspense shows with soap opera?  I am especially not going there with the pregnancy. Just nol.    

Just definitely cried at the last few minutes. That was heart breaking. Next week will be hard :(

I guessed the girlfriend immediately, too. I was hoping the dad wouldn't be involved and was bummed that he was.

I am really excited that this show is back.

Next week, they're dealing with Frost's death....

I know next week I will cry buckets.  I remember reading an interview somewhere with Angie Harmon about how difficult it was to deal with on set...heartbreaking.

So sad.

I already did cry rivers knowing and seeing very real reactions, not just acting.

Jane bring pregnant is great and hilarious! 

Jan Nash, you done good! Saw the changed your first episode outta the gate as showrunner.

Agreed. I was thinking: This is how to do a pregnancy story!

On my screen the sister's hair was kind of red. For a moment at the end when Jane asked to hold the baby again, I thought maybe she was going to ask some pointed questions and there would be a last minute twist that the sister was the killer (and that the future stepmother making the CD was just a case of overzealousness).

• Love 1

I guess I am in the minority, but I really didn't like the Frost car accident.  Just once, I wish a show would just announce that the actor passed away, and not resolve it with the character dying or somehow leaving the show. It doesn't have to be resolved.  It gave me a very uncomfortable 'walking on a grave' type feeling.  I will watch next week's episode (sort of as  I do other household things), only to see if there is any other sub-plot going on. 

FYI - the first several Rizzoli/Isles novels were very Jane heavy, and then some were Maura heavy.  As another poster stated, the show only sort of follows the books.  Maura is much more calm and severe in the books.  Jane is pretty much Jane, except there is Dean and there is not Casey or Martinez. The Rizzoli's are only sort of like the book.   They are 'friends', not BFF teen types forever. 

mythoughtis, I felt the same way.  It's like we were intruding on their private grief, and that the car accident scene was filmed 'just for us' (the audience).  I would have been perfectly happy if Frost had been transferred and was mentioned several times, and then everyone could move on.  Maybe it would have been better (of course, I haven't seen next week's episode yet!) if Korsak had gotten the phone call, announced the news about the accident--and then fade to black (and the end credits).  We didn't need to see Maura crouching over a body.

(edited)

Mythoughts - I think most fans are aware that the show doesn't follow the books. Janet Tamaro, Sasha Alexander and Angie Harmon had explained that from the beginning and discussed the changes they made with the friendship and their characters.

In the books they are not BFFs and Janet Tamaro changed that from the get go and she explained why.

Sasha Alexander came up with this Maura. She wanted a quirky, more fun Maura than the one in the books. The Maura in the books is more goth, darker and she was also carrying on an affair with a priest.

I personally like this Maura than the one in the books.

I actually didnt much care for Jane in the books. She was insecure and Dean is supposedly this good looking FBI and she was unsure as to what he saw in her. Jane is whiney just like on the show. From the early books I read. I stopped reading them.

They wanted to honor Lee. He was not only their colleague but also their friend. His death affected them so deeply. And they wanted to do it right. So to just say Frost was transferred, in my opinion would be disrespectful. At least I think that is how I think they would perceive it.

I think this is also a way for the audience to say goodbye to Lee. Their way of sharing their grief with us.

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 5

Someone upthread mentioned the victim moved her arms too much while pushing the jogging stroller. From what I saw, she seemed to exaggeratingly move her left arm, while her right arm was stiff and down as if pushing the stroller. My question was why she was moving her left arm so much if that was the one the tether was attached to (burn mark/crease on left wrist). I take this as Jan Nash hasn't fixed all continuity errors for the show.

The point was for the audience not to know that she had a baby w. her. The reveal intended to come later. So it couldn't look like she was pushing a carriage. 

Those kinds of goofs i don't mind. It's a minute detail, in my opinion. 

• Love 1

Yes I agree. I could care less about those small details. I care more about what they do with the characters especially to Maura and Jane.

I certainly hope Jan makes the necessary changes with those two. Please no more whiny Jane.

I remember reading an interview somewhere with Angie Harmon about how difficult it was to deal with on set...heartbreaking.

So sad.

That scene with them at the crash site was hard.  I wanted to reach into my TV and hug Korsak.  He was all alone!  Then Angie/Jane reached for his hand, still I wished he had been part of a hug.

(edited)

I think if the writers & Angie Harmon keep Jane in discomfort and nauseated, it will be an entertaining pregnancy to watch.  Not so much whiny, but constantly weirded out by what her body is doing.  Jane as a character is so non-girly and matter-of-fact, that so much of her charm is the fact that she's almost masculine in some ways.  Angie is so great at the snarky humor, I know she can make it fun to watch.

Maybe it would have been better (of course, I haven't seen next week's episode yet!) if Korsak had gotten the phone call, announced the news about the accident--and then fade to black (and the end credits).

This would have been my preference, as an appropriate ending for the character. 

I was always ok with the possible Maura/Frankie hookup.  He could have helped her lighten up, and she could have helped him become a little more serious. 

Edited by leighdear
(edited)

That car wreck seen must have been terrible to shot, especially for Sasha Alexander, to have to pretend to be over his body and cover that up? Next week should be a sad :(

I agree with the fact that they did have to kill off Frost. It's sad but I think transfering him sort of doesn't let the audience grieve a real lose. This gives everyone the chance to cry it out.

It's crazy. I use to watch the Famous Jett Jackson all the time when I was kid...The Jett Jackson movie was my favorite disney movie and I was really happy to see him on this show. Just so sad :(

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 1

It would have rang so hollow to have Frost just move away. Plus characters often have a certain amount of resentment and abandonment about a character "moving away" and it wouldn't have been the appropriate emotions to deal with death and loss. Jan Nash talked to the actors about how they wanted to honor Lee Thompson Young and obviously collaborated with the actors to deal with this in the way they felt would best honor him and best deal with the character. The actors, producers, show, people who had actually met him and probably even talked to his family chose this route on the best way.

I basically feel like it's not actually about we the audience feel at all. It's not about what we would have wanted or liked. We never met the guy, we can go on pretending he's still alive forever if we want. The cast doesn't have that luxury and I don't think they wanted to pretend it either.

• Love 4

Plus I want to see how they deal with Frost's death.

I realize we haven't seen the reactions of everyone AROUND Frost play out, but the actual way the actual show exit was constructed and carried out seemed... a bit lame.

I agree it was right to kill the character, and clearly it had to happen off-screen, but as cliched as it is, I think a "heroes death" plotline would have been a bit better.

And I agree that the "everyone standing around the accident" felt really awkward and odd to watch as viewers.  The phone call should have been the last scene.  And the following episode picking up days later. 

I agree it was right to kill the character, and clearly it had to happen off-screen, but as cliched as it is, I think a "heroes death" plotline would have been a bit better.

That's harder to do off screen, when the actor has died and thus isn't available for any new footage.  Fundamentally, it has less emotional impact for me than an unexpected, happenstance death.

While I liked the characters' accident scene reactions, particularly Frankie's, I think Korsak receiving the phone call would have made for an even better final scene.

That's harder to do off screen, when the actor has died and thus isn't available for any new footage.  Fundamentally, it has less emotional impact for me than an unexpected, happenstance death.

I think it being off-screen can be an advantage if written and acted by the others correctly. Admittedly you miss the angle of us seeing the actor at the head of the episode, then... just gone. But I think it could have been played with someone talking to him on the phone, like we got anyway, and then have some huge crisis/disaster that Frost turns out to have been in the middle of.  I'd actually have played it with nobody knowing he was dead, them helping out with said disaster, then finding evidence on scene at the end of the episode that he was there.

(edited)

Frost works with homicide and his partner is Jane. So how coukd he be called in on emergency without Jane being called in also?

He is a hero whether he died in a car accident or not being that he was a homicide officer with upstanding reputarion.

It would be hard to have him die on a scene without having the rest of the team involved in this so called "emergency".

I think the car accident is a good idea. He was on his way back from visiting his Mom.

I think it being off-screen can be an advantage if written and acted by the others correctly. Admittedly you miss the angle of us seeing the actor at the head of the episode, then... just gone. But I think it could have been played with someone talking to him on the phone, like we got anyway, and then have some huge crisis/disaster that Frost turns out to have been in the middle of. I'd actually have played it with nobody knowing he was dead, them helping out with said disaster, then finding evidence on scene at the end of the episode that he was there.

In my opinion, that would have been too dramatic.

I like it better this way. It is subtle. That way the memorial would have more impact which I believe it will.

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 2

My only reservation about the way the death was handled is that since the grief expressed by the actors was genuine, and since the suicide is widely known, it could encourage those who are considering suicide for the effect it would have on others. I don't believe that is a common reason for suicide, but it is common for failed attempts, and sometimes those would-be failed attempts succeed.

I wanted the show to give the Frost character a happy ending. Bizarrely, there had even been unintentional setup earlier last season - that girlfriend of his who moved away. I really wanted the writers to just have Frost decide that he loved and missed her too much to continue to be away from her, and go to be with her. Lee Thompson Young's death is so sad that to have Frost killed tragically just feels like piling on in a way. But I certainly understand the argument for why R&I has gone this route.

I'm not so sure that Frankie and Maura's conversation was intended to completely dispel that subplot. If it had been, I don't think their characters would've promptly made very unsibling-like comments about each other's lips right after they got done saying that they're like siblings. That to me was an indication that they're just putting the attraction on hold for now - Maura will get involved with someone else, Frankie will get jealous, it'll end up being a triangle. The new showrunner already said that she's a big believer that you can't just say "Kidding!" to the audience, and while she was talking about Jane's pregnancy there, I don't see why that philosophy wouldn't apply to Frankie/Maura as well. Last season the writers established that Frankie has had a crush on Maura for a long time. So for Frankie to really mean his words that Maura's like a sister to him would seem to me to be the same sort of "Kidding!" that the showrunner's already come out against. Not that I want Frankie and Maura together. (I always wanted Maura and Frost to be together, actually. Sigh.)

So, the first episode with the new showrunner: I'm not a fan, really. The dialogue was lacking. It was easy to tell the culprit as soon as she appeared, so that problem certainly hasn't been fixed. And while this isn't the showrunner's fault, Lee Thompson Young is a real loss to the show. I feared that losing Frost was really going to mess up the group chemistry, and that's what I saw. Frankie's fine, I like him, but he has a very different vibe than Frost and the current group doesn't have the same magic. The show had something very special, chemistry-wise, in the first four seasons with the group of Maura, Jane, Korsak and Frost, and it's why I stuck with the show despite the extreme lameness of the cases. I'll keep watching this season, for Maura and Jane's friendship, but if Jane actually has the baby...that might be the final straw. At least the actor who plays Casey is busy on another show and so hopefully won't be available for any appearances, because I always found him and Jane snoozeworthy. I am excited for Maura's new man, though - I've always liked Enver Gjokaj and he can certainly play the kind of character who can hold his own opposite Maura. She's out of Frankie's league.

Picky, picky, but it seems to me that baby was way younger than 1 year. He was supposed to be a week or 10 days from his first birthday, but he seemed more like 7 months or so. One-year-olds are sometimes walking or at least standing up.

I did kind of like this episode though. I did less eye rolling than before.

(edited)

Good lord. THAT many people watch R&I? Really? REALLY?

These numbers will drop off after tonight's episode honoring the late Lee Thompson Young. I imagine a lot of last week's viewers tuned in to see how the show was going to handle his death.

Edited by Mrs. P.

I think as much as they would like to bring back Constsnce, the actress Jacqueline Bissett might not be available.

It wouldn't be the first time an actor has been switched out, even lead actors.  I wouldn't have noticed at all.

The pregnancy - not a fan, but Jane is a hoot with it.

(edited)

Anyone else worried that this baby won't see the light of day? Either Jane has had a false positive or she miscarries. 

New behind-the-scenes photos [Friday; June 20th] and Jane doesn't have any hint of a baby bump. Their filming episode 11. 

Photo 1

Photo 2

Edited by Samantha84

Awwwww! I want to see Jane through this pregnancy and as a mom. Wonders never cease b/c I didn't end of last season. Jan Nash handled the premiere and balanced Jane's pregnant w the A/case story well, in my opinion.

Jane bringing to life after the loss of Frost would be full circle.