Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: What Happens In Vegas

preeya
  • Start Topic

Chef Ramsay challenges the nine remaining chefs to prepare authentic Chinese dishes and each chef must crack open fortune cookies to reveal their ingredients for the challenge. Ramsay invites renowned chef Shirley Chung to judge each dish and the winning team is rewarded with a VIP trip to Las Vegas! During dinner service, tensions rise as one team struggles to work together, resulting in a kitchen riddled with errors.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

During dinner service, tensions rise as one team struggles to work together, resulting in a kitchen riddled with errors.

Red Team: GET OUT!

Tensions rise Trev, Scotley & Jose

Heather wearing sleeveless clothes looks like a billboard.

Next episode Jan. 4, 2019

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

Bret and Trevor did themselves no favors in returning to Hell’s Kitchen.

Always liked Shirley.

It appears that the winner will be coming from the women’s team.

Kind of felt bad for Jose. The look on that man’s face. SMH 

• Love 6

I’m giving Scotley a bit of a break.  Yes, yes, yes .... even with that whole ‘baby girl’ thing.  As always I blame the use more on the people telling him what to say and do. 

Bret and Trevor have been here and done that. They fully understand what they are saying and doing. Or at least they should. The money to come back must have been awfully good. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ellee said:

Bret and Trevor did themselves no favors in returning to Hell’s Kitchen.

Always liked Shirley.

It appears that the winner will be coming from the women’s team.

Kind of felt bad for Jose. The look on that man’s face. SMH 

Who is Shirley?

Jose's actions didn't fit with his demeanor from prior episodes. I'm sure he was a victim of scripting tactics.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, preeya said:

Who is Shirley?

Jose's actions didn't fit with his demeanor from prior episodes. I'm sure he was a victim of scripting tactics.

Shirley Chung was the judge for the Chinese food challenge.  She was on Top Chef.

• Love 4

I love Shirley Chung when she was on Top Chef and she was great here too.  I hope she is on more too.  Nothing at all like Blaise.  One down (Scotley) and now when Bret and Trev are gone this will be a nice battle.   There were so many more competent contestants to pick from.  Did they all say no to Gordon?  I would have loved if Julia was on this season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crucial said:

There were so many more competent contestants to pick from.  Did they all say no to Gordon?

Yes, but the drama bullshit wouldn't be there and TPTB wouldn't like that. I'd love to see a full season with "normal" people competing for the prize. No drama, no bullshit, just a cooking competition.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

I so enjoyed the elimination that I had to replay it several times. Scotley's smirk when Trevor's name was called and he thought he was safe made his elimination a few seconds later delicious.

so this. not that trev is great - he is way way way too type A and needs to relax. there's serious and then there's cranked up to 12 all the time. calm it down to 7-8.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

so this. not that trev is great - he is way way way too type A and needs to relax. there's serious and then there's cranked up to 12 all the time. calm it down to 7-8.

I don't think it matters, he's not going to win. Probably won't make it to the black jacket round. When Trev and Bret are sent packing then the {real} competition will begin.

• Love 5

Trev brought the team giving him shit before service right the fuck on himself.  He was strutting around like the cock on the walk and why would they listen to him?

His sad sack interviews bring the show to a screeching halt.  I can only hope there are so many of them because he is not long for this show.  I mean, when BRET tells you to settle down?  You need to take several seats.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Trev brought the team giving him shit before service right the fuck on himself.  He was strutting around like the cock on the walk and why would they listen to him?

His sad sack interviews bring the show to a screeching halt.  I can only hope there are so many of them because he is not long for this show.  I mean, when BRET tells you to settle down?  You need to take several seats.

It's all part of the script.

I'd love to see a full season with "normal" people competing for the prize. No drama, no bullshit, just a cooking competition.

Ah, but then Gordon wouldn't have any reason to scream and swear and throw his signature temper tantrums.  It would be a completely different show.  

Heather is gross.  I hope she and Bret and Trev get sent home next - in any order.  

Did I see something that said the next episode is in January?  After missing weeks for baseball and now for the holidays, we're going to watching the finale around St. Patrick's Day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Ah, but then Gordon wouldn't have any reason to scream and swear and throw his signature temper tantrums.  It would be a completely different show.  

Heather is gross.  I hope she and Bret and Trev get sent home next - in any order.  

Did I see something that said the next episode is in January?  After missing weeks for baseball and now for the holidays, we're going to watching the finale around St. Patrick's Day.

Gordan is supposed to be a mentor, not a screaming asshole. As you said it would be a completely different show, but I think it would be more enjoyable.

Yes, yes, and yes on the eliminations.  Next episode is Jan 4th.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2018 at 2:57 AM, Crucial said:

I love Shirley Chung when she was on Top Chef and she was great here too.  I hope she is on more too.

I loved Shirley when I first saw her on Top Chef, so I was squeeing like a fan girl when she appeared.

IMO, the only one of that sad, sad group that is capable of running a kitchen is Arial. Everyone else is about 10 rungs below her in maturity, temperament and by the looks of things, cooking abililty. I'd be shocked to not see her in the final and it will probably be Jose right along side her.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2018 at 11:05 PM, jewel21 said:

Finally. Adios, Scotley, you giant tool. 

I was happy to see him go.

Now I’m not sure if the winner will be a women or a man, but I know it won’t be Trev or Bret. I’m not crazy about Trev but Scotley bothered me more, so I’m glad he went first.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, aussieinsydney said:

I loved Shirley when I first saw her on Top Chef, so I was squeeing like a fan girl when she appeared.

IMO, the only one of that sad, sad group that is capable of running a kitchen is Arial. Everyone else is about 10 rungs below her in maturity, temperament and by the looks of things, cooking abililty. I'd be shocked to not see her in the final and it will probably be Jose right along side her.

↑↑ Hitting the nail on the head. ↑↑

• Love 3
On 12/15/2018 at 11:44 AM, preeya said:

No drama, no bullshit, just a cooking competition.

That show would probably be about ten minute episodes. I usually fast-forward alot, like the stupid reward outings. So I get through a show in half the time.

• Love 2

Interesting episode. 

Was nice to see the female team have a pretty much flawless service. As usual, they also won the challenge, in fact I can’t recall them ever losing one. Although Heather needs to upgrade her wardrobe for future Vegas trips, the two sizes too tight tank top does not work on her, unless she was hellbent on showcasing her cheap tattoos. Was funny seeing Kanae acting like a kid in a candy store over the bathroom.

Out of the mens team, as far as I am concerned,  GR can eliminate all of them except Motto next week, There is no leadership or culinary talent in the rest of them. This week was so bad that Bret actually came across as the most level headed of the bunch.

I was worried that with the three guys in the losers circle, GR was going to can Jose just to keep the two drama queens both around. I was actually surprised he canned Scotley, no matter how deserved that ejection was. Good riddance, to an all around anchor on a sinking sink. 

And once again, we get treated to best and brightest in the D List celeb free meal circuit, from another unknown upper cable channel show that only 38 people actually watch. 

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, preeya said:

↑↑ Hitting the nail on the head. ↑↑

I’m thinking too that Ariel is a front runner to win the show.

39 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

Interesting episode. 

Was nice to see the female team have a pretty much flawless service. As usual, they also won the challenge, in fact I can’t recall them ever losing one. Although Heather needs to upgrade her wardrobe for future Vegas trips, the two sizes too tight tank top does not work on her, unless she was hellbent on showcasing her cheap tattoos. Was funny seeing Kanae acting like a kid in a candy store over the bathroom.

Out of the mens team, as far as I am concerned,  GR can eliminate all of them except Motto next week, There is no leadership or culinary talent in the rest of them. This week was so bad that Bret actually came across as the most level headed of the bunch.

I was worried that with the three guys in the losers circle, GR was going to can Jose just to keep the two drama queens both around. I was actually surprised he canned Scotley, no matter how deserved that ejection was. Good riddance, to an all around anchor on a sinking sink. 

And once again, we get treated to best and brightest in the D List celeb free meal circuit, from another unknown upper cable channel show that only 38 people actually watch. 

I was thinking too he might eliminate Jose too to keep the drama going. I’m glad he didn’t.

• Love 2

Way early in the season, when Bret won the Punishment Pass and decided to use it right away to "gain inside information on the other team", I couldn't help but make fun of that decision... why do that when you know there is a trip to Vegas coming up at some point in the season?

So, right after the girls won and the prize was announced, I loved, loved, Bret's next interview where the editors identified him as 'Bret, 36, used punishment pass in week 3'. Thank you editors!!

• Love 11
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, Charlesman said:

Way early in the season, when Bret won the Punishment Pass and decided to use it right away to "gain inside information on the other team", I couldn't help but make fun of that decision... why do that when you know there is a trip to Vegas coming up at some point in the season?!!

I fast forward through all the Vegas trip footage. I find most of these reward trip segments boring. At least, as far as I could see, they didn't have the girls in a hotel pool for more superfluous bikini footage, as they did the previous week. Including one lengthy shot from the neck down, where you couldn't tell which contestant it was. I guess they figured they showed what's important.

I must be a minority of one here, but I actually like Trev, and enjoy his sense of humor and dead pan delivery. But I'd be shocked if he wins.

Very glad to see Scotley go. How could you ever imagine him as head chef when he has zero people skills? Being a manager of any kind means getting along with people you don't particularly like. Ridiculing and mocking them shows a complete lack of maturity. Of course this is Hell's Kitchen, and we know that the drama is encouraged, but I still think you can gauge someone's true personality. (And like others, loved how he had to eat his own smirk).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
On 12/14/2018 at 10:30 PM, preeya said:

Next episode Jan. 4, 2019

On 12/15/2018 at 7:06 PM, mlp said:

It's very hard to care one bit about this season with all the long breaks between episodes.  There's no continuity, every time it comes back from a two or three week gap I have to remember what was going on the last episode.  And question why Trev is still there.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

It's very hard to care one bit about this season with all the long breaks between episodes.  There's no continuity, every time it comes back from a two or three week gap I have to remember what was going on the last episode.  And question why Trev is still there.

I agree.  When I see the recap. at the beginning of the episode I have to think a minute before I remember seeing it!  Part of that is I'm getting older but that says a lot when even a 5 minute recap. isn't enough to make you remember what happened.

I always wonder how long these rewards actually are. It appears that they do a challenge in the morning, then they had to change, fly to Vegas, get from the airport to the hotel , change clothes again and then what-spend an hour in a hotel room? It looked like it was dark out when they were in the roof deck during the reward yet they still made it back for dinner service. 

Edited by Madding crowd
On 12/29/2018 at 11:53 PM, Madding crowd said:

I always wonder how long these rewards actually are. It appears that they do a challenge in the morning, then they had to change, fly to Vegas, get from the airport to the hotel , change clothes again and then what-spend an hour in a hotel room? It looked like it was dark out when they were in the roof deck during the reward yet they still made it back for dinner service. 

It could be dinner service the next day or two or three days hence. I don't think they do that entire trip the same day.

They have to be there for dinner service and we see them walking in to the place in the same clothes. If it is a couple of days later what are the other chef’s doing during this time? I think they don’t have the budget for wasted days and the rewards are only an hour or two. 

• Love 1