Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Shadowing Glenn

Circelily

Synopsis. Glenn (Mark McKinney) drives Amy (America Ferrera) crazy with a new, over the top training system. Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) and Mateo (Nico Santos) brainstorm a new business, while Dina (Lauren Ash) recruits Jonah (Ben Feldman) to help her when she starts second-guessing her own future.

Well if they are going to make us wait nearly 3 months for the next episode, this was a strong ensemble episode to leave us on.

• Love 2

It was a good episode, but the story with Amy first rolling her eyes at Glenn's routines and then accidently ordering too many popsickles was a bit uninspired. But good for her for finally setting herself a goal and going for it.

Jonah's student loans - woah. A raise alone would not solve that kind of problem, he needs a big plan for his future too.

Cheyenne and Mateo where hilarious. Of course they weren't going to really start a business.

• Love 7

Are they leading up to the show ending? Or a big season-ending cliffhanger? It feels like a lot of the characters are suddenly headed in different directions.

Amy leaves to manage another store.

Jonah finally takes initiative to do something more with his life.

Dina finds her perfect job, as the assistant (to the) ornithologist at an aviary.

Mateo... gets deported?

Brett lands a gig as a stripper at an old person's home.

Marcus discovers his calling in Hollywood set design.

• Love 7

How did Jonah, with one year of grad school under his belt, not know that his interest was so high? I loved it when Dina schooled him about his per day interest being more than he made per day at Cloud 9. Way to go, business boy!

• Love 15

Lots of fun stuff this week, although Marcus stole the show for me with his terrible box hiding skills, and the weird glimpses into his life. "I got tricked into being in a movie like this one time, it was hilarious!"

Dina should go into business, she clearly has a head for numbers, and is definitely enough of a shark to get ahead of the game. Certainly she has more of a head for business than Mr. "One year of business school but still doesent know how student loans work" Jonah. 

You have to say 9-1-1, not 911, Justine.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ae2 said:

Are they leading up to the show ending? Or a big season-ending cliffhanger? It feels like a lot of the characters are suddenly headed in different directions.

Not necessarily. Since this show borrows so much from The Office, this could be like when Jim went to Stamford. He eventually came back.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Aulty said:

It was a good episode, but the story with Amy first rolling her eyes at Glenn's routines and then accidently ordering too many popsickles was a bit uninspired. But good for her for finally setting herself a goal and going for it.

Jonah's student loans - woah. A raise alone would not solve that kind of problem, he needs a big plan for his future too.

Cheyenne and Mateo where hilarious. Of course they weren't going to really start a business.

The good news is that Jonah likely qualifies for PAYE which drastically lowers the payments that he has to pay and that after 20 years the rest of the loan gets forgiven. The bad news is he'll have a massive tax bill once that loan gets forgiven. Still much better any conventional repayment plans. 

• Love 3

Best part about the episode was when Amy puts the Popsicles in the smoothie, sticks and all. She says something about fiber, but I don't think she meant the sticks.

The man was drinking out of a carafe that said "MILK".

The photo of the parking lot was surprising.

• Love 7

I didn't even know there was a new episode until I found it on my DVR. Did it air on Friday? Or was that just in my area??

Anyway, the parking lot thing was hilarious, but I had to go back and watch that again because I honestly couldn't tell that was just a big photo until the car drove through it at first. When you know it though, you can tell when you watch it a second time. It was kind of meta because this is the kind of thing they do on TV all the time and you can't tell when you're watching it on TV but if you were there in person there's no way you wouldn't be able to tell it's just a big photo.

I loved all the made-up careers Dina was asking about like outer space mailman and scuba cop. 

• Love 4

Why would Jonah settle for such a low paying job to begin with? I realize he never graduated from school but he comes across as def more intelligent than the rest of the staff (at least the younger ones like cheyanne and Mateo) I can’t beleive he couldn’t find a job that would suit him better. 

• Love 1

Why would Jonah settle for such a low paying job to begin with? I realize he never graduated from school but he comes across as def more intelligent than the rest of the staff (at least the younger ones like cheyanne and Mateo) I can’t beleive he couldn’t find a job that would suit him better. 

I'm guessing he simply lacks ambition. He had the money to go to college and dropped out because he simply wasn't interested and/or didn't want to put in the work. I can't remember the specifics but I don't think he got kicked out. 

• Love 3
On 2018-12-21 at 11:59 AM, OpalNightstream said:

It was explained in a S1 episode. After quitting business school he got in his car and drove for a long time. He got hungry so he stopped at store and saw that they were hiring and so he applied for it.

On another note looks like we survived the great forum purge of 2018.

Edited by calguy
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, calguy said:

It was explained in a S1 episode. After quitting business school he got in his car and drove for a long time. He got hungry so he stopped at store and saw that they were hiring and so he applied for it.

I have always wondered, does quitting  business school mean quitting graduate school where he was pursuing an MBA? (The way I usually think of it.)  Or was he calling college "business school" and he never finished college?  Because if he went to a decent college and did reasonably well there, he should be able to get a better job than Cheyenne, for instance, who barely finished HS.

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I have always wondered, does quitting  business school mean quitting graduate school where he was pursuing an MBA? (The way I usually think of it.)  Or was he calling college "business school" and he never finished college?  Because if he went to a decent college and did reasonably well there, he should be able to get a better job than Cheyenne, for instance, who barely finished HS.

I assumed that he does have an undergraduate degree since he was lying about going to medical school.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, calguy said:

I assumed that he does have an undergraduate degree since he was lying about going to medical school.

That's right! So he probably has more education than anyone in the store except possibly Glenn. If he had the smallest amount of ambition, he would be on the management track. 

• Love 1
On 12/28/2018 at 12:14 AM, calguy said:

This has never made sense to me. I could see him being stressed about school and taking 6 months or a 1 year to work a retail job buts 4 years and he is not back in night school or trying for management. I had a friend that was burnt out in medical school and worked at a garden center watering plants on her time off. She never told her co-workers about medical school and just enjoyed a stress free job and fun co-workers. I always laughed when I would visit her because her boss would say maybe someday she would be able to work the service desk and he had no idea in a year she would be a doctor! 

Some parts of superstore are realistic and other parts like Jonah are not. How hard would it be to show him a few times a season rushing off to take night classes? He could say night school is going to take like 8 years because he can only take one class at a time so it could force him to stay at Cloud 9. 

Our local retail stores are full of teachers working second jobs. It is sad to see. I think it would be interesting to introduce a one of Glenn's kids teachers as an employee. 

• Love 1
On 12/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, calguy said:

Also he's like 35, at least.  I feel like a 10-year-long gap year before college would have been mentioned.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:59 PM, rhys said:

Oh my gosh yes. That was genius.

And it was nice for Glenn to have a win.

I really like the actress that plays Amy but thought she was a total jerk this episode. Glenn is an idiot and so is the warehouse guy but both were just trying to help her out.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:59 PM, OpalNightstream said:

On 12/26/2018 at 2:51 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm guessing he simply lacks ambition. He had the money to go to college and dropped out because he simply wasn't interested and/or didn't want to put in the work. I can't remember the specifics but I don't think he got kicked out. 

My guess is he enjoys both being the smartest guy in the room and the fact he has more prospects than anyone else. He is an idiot though for not figuring out about the interest on his own.