Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Pop It Pal, Yumble, BollyX, Mother Beverage

• Start Topic

I think Beth was a decent fit for the Yumley couple. Gawd it's only been a couple of hours & I don't trust my lousy memory. Is that even right? I can't find it on Google yet. Gah! I must need some Mother! Anyway I was shocked B dropped her percentage to 6%. Will be interesting to see if the product flies off the shelf. She's a hustler.

• Love 3

Really??? A fake pimple popping device?  Sooo gross.  I'm not shocked this product exists.  I'm just shocked it got a deal.  From Kevin!  Where is that going to be sold? Spencer's Gifts?  Right next to the fake dog poo and whoopie cushions? 

All of these subscription meals in a box don't seem sustainable to me.  Yes, this Yumbles brand is geared specifically toward kids, so I guess that's "new".  I wonder if Bethenney is going to re-brand it as "Skinny Kids" and slap her signature red & black logo on the boxes?  One thing that bugged me about the couple's pitch was when the mom was describing what a "nightmare" meal time is with kids.  The crying/whining/refusal to eat what's in front of them...guess what parents?  YOU created that nightmare.  I work full time & so does my husband. We have one child and while she does have her preferences, I have never made her a separate meal.  She eats what I make for breakfast.  I pack a mostly healthy lunch (she gets one healthy snack & one junky snack of her choosing). She has the option of a bowl of cereal in place of what is on the table at dinner time. Over the years she did take that option a few times, but mostly eats what the rest of us ate.  There are nights when I feel lazy and don't cook a typical dinner. I will make her one of her easy favorites (grilled cheese, pasta, chicken nuggets...), but I also include a veggie or fruit & some protein.  She eats it all.  IMO if your kid won't eat what's on the plate it's because they were given the option to refuse it & were rewarded with getting separate meals prepared for them.  Obviously some kids just do not like certain foods, no matter how many times you make it.  In those cases, don't ask the kid to eat that one thing & maybe give them an alternate choice to replace it.  In our house, my husband & I like potatoes, but our daughter does not.  I might make her brown rice or just have her skip a side dish & eat more of the steak/chicken/meatloaf/veg whatever.

Too bad the Bollywood X didn't have a good financial track record.  That looked like a fun work out!

The apple cider drink - blurgh.  No thanks.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Obviously some kids just do not like certain foods, no matter how many times you make it.  In those cases, don't ask the kid to eat that one thing & maybe give them an alternate choice to replace it.  In our house, my husband & I like potatoes, but our daughter does not.  I might make her brown rice or just have her skip a side dish & eat more of the steak/chicken/meatloaf/veg whatever.

This was a constant battle in our house.  My husband and I both grew up in households where our parents would force us to finish our plates, regardless of how we felt about the food.  I have memories of sitting at the table HOURS after everyone else finished.  When we had children, I would allow them to have a say in SOME of their foods, but only after they gave an "honest try" (a real, actual bite, not a pretend bite) and that they kept periodically trying the same thing.  I would provide 1 alternate item sometimes to offset the item my daughter(s) didn't like.  But not at every meal.  Mostly, the occasional dinner.  This has resulted in my daughters hating and then loving LOTS of foods.  My husband didn't necessarily agree with that tactic and wanted me to figuratively sit on top of them and force feed them (obviously, not really).  Kids taste buds are different, but if parents stick to their guns, they will learn to appreciate different foods.  I never got the parents who would say "my kid ONLY eats chicken nuggets", or some such thing, and that's all they ate for every single meal for years. 

Overall, this episode was terrible.  I hated the "Mother" name.  I would never associate the word "mother" to a beverage.  I think that's the very first thing that needs to change.  I'm still not convinced that adding all that other stuff even maintains the healthy benefits of the apple cider vinegar anyway.  Beth was such a bitch during this pitch.  Well, she always is.  I don't like her at all, but the way she said that they should've warned them was extremely rude.  I have no other experience with her other than having a general idea of who she is and then this show.  From the little bit shown here, I will avoid her like the plague. 

I was extremely grossed out by the pimple popper thing.  I honestly do not get the appeal to this. 

Yumely, while I guess is smart targeting to the kids, I just don't think we (the universal "we") need another food subscription plan.  I've tried several plans because I like them in theory, but we either don't cook the food fast enough, there aren't enough options for what we want for the plans I can afford (healthier options), the serving sizes is not enough for my husband (2 servings is not enough, 4 is too many and jacks up the cost) that I will just stick to going to the grocery store and buy stuff and look up recipes online. 

Bollywood workout- looks like it may be fun, but I avoid the dancing workouts because I'm not coordinated enough.  Also, seems like a fad that could die out.  But, then again, Zumba has been around for quite some time.  I wish him luck. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Overall, this episode was terrible.  I hated the "Mother" name.  I would never associate the word "mother" to a beverage.  I think that's the very first thing that needs to change.  I'm still not convinced that adding all that other stuff even maintains the healthy benefits of the apple cider vinegar anyway.  Beth was such a bitch during this pitch.  Well, she always is.  I don't like her at all, but the way she said that they should've warned them was extremely rude.  I have no other experience with her other than having a general idea of who she is and then this show.  From the little bit shown here, I will avoid her like the plague. 

Did any shark even bring up the name issue?! I thought it was a very weird name to use for a beverage, and I thought the entrepreneurs were going to get dinged for it by the sharks. But I'm surprised no one even brought it up. Was Barbara there?! Isn't she the one always bringing up the name and how easy/hard to market depending on the brand name?!

• Love 2

I think the Mother name is related to the Vinegar Mother that produces the vinegar?    I can't believe they got a deal for bottled vinegar, I hope Rohan knows what he's gotten into.

Bollywood-no plans, no money, it's not the next Zumba.    No deal was the right way for the Sharks to go.

Kid's healthy meals, I can see why Bethenny went for it, but do people really spend that much on kid's meals?     I guess people with a whole lot of money can afford to do this, but I don't think it's really going to replace Lunchables.    Actually, most of the private schools around here don't allow lunchables, and I bet that will be other kits too.   

Pop it Pal-I thought I was going to hurl watching this.    Kevin's the right partner though.     It will be a novelty gift, but that's all I can see it being.     Kevin would be perfect to go on QVC and demo this one, while wearing the Tata towels with the grapefruit in it.    

• Love 5

ReBethenny Frankle is a horrible woman .  I just cannot stand her.  That being said, I did make it through the episode.

Pimple popper.  I'm just shocked they got a deal.  Gag gift maybe but I would never buy one.

Yumble... Did I hear correctly that the meals cost $6.99 - $7.99 per meal?  That is ridiculously overpriced. I could not imagine spending $7 on my kid's dinner 6 times a week.  You can make a nutritious, tasty meal for a family of four for $7.  You pay the $7 for the kid to eat then you still have to make your own food.  Besides, why does my kid need a special prize or toy at every meal?  Seriously, this is madness.

Bollywood guy is about 10 years too late.  This would've made a mint right after Slumdog Millionaire came out.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the Mother name is related to the Vinegar Mother that produces the vinegar?    I can't believe they got a deal for bottled vinegar, I hope Rohan knows what he's gotten into.

Bollywood-no plans, no money, it's not the next Zumba.    No deal was the right way for the Sharks to go.

Kid's healthy meals, I can see why Bethenny went for it, but do people really spend that much on kid's meals?     I guess people with a whole lot of money can afford to do this, but I don't think it's really going to replace Lunchables.    Actually, most of the private schools around here don't allow lunchables, and I bet that will be other kits too.   

Pop it Pal-I thought I was going to hurl watching this.    Kevin's the right partner though.     It will be a novelty gift, but that's all I can see it being.     Kevin would be perfect to go on QVC and demo this one, while wearing the Tata towels with the grapefruit in it.    

Yes of course it was after vinegar. I am not picking on you, CiA, but to me it's obvious & the sharks got it.

Why don't some private schools allow lunchables? Seems way overstepping. They are high in sodium & not the best but jeesch.

Kevin needs a tie-in somehow with Dr Pimple Popper on TLC.

Edited by rhys
Cuz popper & pooper clearly aren't the same
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Whimsy said:

This was a constant battle in our house.  My husband and I both grew up in households where our parents would force us to finish our plates, regardless of how we felt about the food.  I have memories of sitting at the table HOURS after everyone else finished.  When we had children, I would allow them to have a say in SOME of their foods, but only after they gave an "honest try" (a real, actual bite, not a pretend bite) and that they kept periodically trying the same thing.  I would provide 1 alternate item sometimes to offset the item my daughter(s) didn't like.  But not at every meal.  Mostly, the occasional dinner.  This has resulted in my daughters hating and then loving LOTS of foods.  My husband didn't necessarily agree with that tactic and wanted me to figuratively sit on top of them and force feed them (obviously, not really).  Kids taste buds are different, but if parents stick to their guns, they will learn to appreciate different foods.  I never got the parents who would say "my kid ONLY eats chicken nuggets", or some such thing, and that's all they ate for every single meal for years. 

I was extremely grossed out by the pimple popper thing.  I honestly do not get the appeal to this. 

Yumely, while I guess is smart targeting to the kids, I just don't think we (the universal "we") need another food subscription plan.  I've tried several plans because I like them in theory, but we either don't cook the food fast enough, there aren't enough options for what we want for the plans I can afford (healthier options), the serving sizes is not enough for my husband (2 servings is not enough, 4 is too many and jacks up the cost) that I will just stick to going to the grocery store and buy stuff and look up recipes online. 

Bollywood workout- looks like it may be fun, but I avoid the dancing workouts because I'm not coordinated enough.  Also, seems like a fad that could die out.  But, then again, Zumba has been around for quite some time.  I wish him luck. 

bethany is an idiot. she thinks this show is her housewife show.  Yumely may work but i think bethany is wrong partner for them. and i agree with the above poster on the problem is created by parents who just give their children what they want to eat. i wish i was that lucky..we got what was made for everyone. Period. Eat it or sleep on a empty stomach. plus cooking most dishes in the instant pot now days is 30-45 mins thing you can find hat time to cook.

and please dont have bethany and the spank lady again. god they are horrible . and last nights episode was worst of the lot this year. the show has gone down hill fast. no new ideas any more. just different types of cookies or drinks or stupid products like the pimple thing ( whot he F does that). what happened to the apps or tech stuff.

• Love 5

Some of the private schools here allow nothing they don't like, it's right up front in the rules, and the contract, but they don't allow sugar, processed stuff, and all kinds of restrictions.   They don't allow birthday anything (afraid the summer birthday kids will feel left out), nothing with high sodium, and a lot of other rules.    I think parents could get something decent to nuke cheaper than 7 or $8 a meal, and does that even include shipping?     I live in what's usually a hot climate, and I hate to think of something sitting on my porch all day, melting.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some of the private schools here allow nothing they don't like, it's right up front in the rules, and the contract, but they don't allow sugar, processed stuff, and all kinds of restrictions.   They don't allow birthday anything (afraid the summer birthday kids will feel left out), nothing with high sodium, and a lot of other rules.    I think parents could get something decent to nuke cheaper than 7 or $8 a meal, and does that even include shipping?     I live in what's usually a hot climate, and I hate to think of something sitting on my porch all day, melting.  

The meals didn't need to be cooked/nuked. I probably sound like I like the pitch/product. I don't. I'm with the others: wait 20 minutes & dinner will be ready.  And $7--8? Yikes? Very spendy in my book. Good point about shipping. I didn't listen for that nugget.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They don't let kids bring birthday stuff in because of the summer kids feeling left out? Seriously? When I was a kid I was told I never had to go to school on my birthday so it was a trade off. 

I feel like there are tons of food delivery things out there, so I didn't think this one stood out at all. 

The pimple thing was weird. I couldn't even believe the pitch people saying how people love popping pimples.....who likes popping a pimple? And are there really YouTube videos about it? That is so bizarre.  

I thought it was odd that the vinegar people gave the Sharks straight apple cider vinegar, and then said how it was not recommended to drink it undiluted. I get the point they were trying to make, but still.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 4

I bet the big attraction with the kiddie meals is the parent shells out big bucks, nukes it, and can tell everyone what a great parent they are, giving their child nutritional, organic, and over-priced meals.      

The pimple popper thing was so bizarre.    I'm blaming Dr. Pimple Popper for this, with her many videos on Youtube, and her show. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

As soon as I saw the product was named "Mother" and they said they were doing shots, I knew it would be ACV. Only, it's not recommended to take it in shots (in fact, it's recommended to dilute and sip through a straw). They were very lucky to get that deal. 

That pimple thing was SO disgusting. I can't believe there is a market for such a thing. As an investment I would guess it would be on the same level as I Want To Draw A Cat For You.

I'm too uncoordinated for BollyX or any dance workout, but I thought it was a great concept and was disappointed Rohan didn't end up offering a deal since he was so obviously interested.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

56 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

They don't let kids bring birthday stuff in because of the summer kids feeling left out? Seriously? When I was a kid I was told I never had to go to school on my birthday so it was a trade off. 

I feel like there are tons of food delivery things out there, so I didn't think this one stood out at all. 

The pimple thing was weird. I couldn't even believe the pitch people saying how people love popping pimples.....who likes popping a pimple? And are there really YouTube videos about it? That is so bizarre.  

I thought it was odd that the vinegar people gave the Sharks straight apple cider vinegar, and then said how it was not recommended to drink it undiluted. I get the point they were trying to make, but still.

I’m pretty sure the no birthday stuff is because of allergies and other dietary restrictions, not summer kids being left out. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I'm still not convinced that adding all that other stuff even maintains the healthy benefits of the apple cider vinegar anyway. 

When I tried taking a probiotic, I ended up with proteus mirabilis growing in my throat. It took two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. I now avoid anything with probiotics in it like the plague.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

When I tried taking a probiotic, I ended up with proteus mirabilis growing in my throat. It took two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. I now avoid anything with probiotics in it like the plague.

See I'm one of those people who wonders about probiotics. I just don't get the draw. Sorry to hear about your proteus mirabilis. Urg

14 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I wonder if Bethenney is going to re-brand it as "Skinny Kids" and slap her signature red & black logo on the boxes?  One thing that bugged me about the couple's pitch was when the mom was describing what a "nightmare" meal time is with kids.  The crying/whining/refusal to eat what's in front of them...guess what parents?  YOU created that nightmare.  

IMO if your kid won't eat what's on the plate it's because they were given the option to refuse it & were rewarded with getting separate meals prepared for them. 

5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

ReBethenny Frankle is a horrible woman .  I just cannot stand her.  That being said, I did make it through the episode.

Yumble... Did I hear correctly that the meals cost $6.99 - $7.99 per meal?  That is ridiculously overpriced. I could not imagine spending $7 on my kid's dinner 6 times a week.  You can make a nutritious, tasty meal for a family of four for $7.  You pay the $7 for the kid to eat then you still have to make your own food.  Besides, why does my kid need a special prize or toy at every meal?  Seriously, this is madness.

More landfill.

4 hours ago, sr49ers2018 said:

bethany is an idiot. she thinks this show is her housewife show.  Yumely may work but i think bethany is wrong partner for them. and i agree with the above poster on the problem is created by parents who just give their children what they want to eat. i wish i was that lucky..we got what was made for everyone. Period. Eat it or sleep on a empty stomach. 

and please dont have bethany and the spank lady again. god they are horrible . and last nights episode was worst of the lot this year. the show has gone down hill fast. no new ideas any more. just different types of cookies or drinks or stupid products like the pimple thing ( whot he F does that). what happened to the apps or tech stuff.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet the big attraction with the kiddie meals is the parent shells out big bucks, nukes it, and can tell everyone what a great parent they are, giving their child nutritional, organic, and over-priced meals.      

Amen to all of the above. 

Frankel is so arrogant, yet hypersensitive. She looked like she was going to cry when the Yumble people didn’t immediately take her offer. 

And all the eyerolling and tortured expressions. She got extremely lucky with her cocktail. Now she thinks she’s a brilliant entrepreneur, even though many of her licensing deals just fizzle, and end up in the bargain bin. 

• Love 5

I just couldn't believe that they chose to lead off with the pimple thing.  I was so grossed out.  There's a reason I don't watch that TLC show...

I am a bit interested in the apple cider vinegar drink-but NOT at $3.99/bottle.  It makes me think that maybe I could just dilute some on my own into some juice.  Too expensive and I agreed with Bethany-they should have warned the Sharks before having them drink the apple cider vinegar as a shot.  I'm surprised that the producer/director of the show let them do that.

BollyX looks fun, but way too overpriced.  I think he does have a good idea, but one of the problems for a lot of entreprenuers is that they don't understand building a business (not that I do either...).  A suggestion for those who want to start a business would be to take a couple of introductory business or finance courses at a minimum in order to understand the basics.  A better subscription model for him may have been that each instructor pay him a royalty for each student they have.  Twenty dollars a month is super minimal.  

Agree with numerous posters that the Yumble product enables children to pick and choose, and according to the presenters-throw tantrums.  What happens if one has multiple children and they don't like the products in the subscription box?  Do parents have to order different meals/different boxes for each child?  As the presentation started I thought that Kevin would be the perfect fit, but when he said no it really caused me to focus on the problems with their product.  If he thought he would make money on it, he would have been all in.

Again though, I can't believe that they led off the show with the pimple thing.  Ugh.

• Love 6

The Meals-For-Bratty-Kids could have easily been piggybacked onto a successful Plated=type company, but the entrepreneurs would lose their control.

But wait -- there already is a kiddie meal with its own toys -- it is called a HAPPY MEAL!!  And it is a lot less than $7 a pop.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Frankel is so arrogant, yet hypersensitive. She looked like she was going to cry when the Yumble people didn’t immediately take her offer. 

She was so childish throwing a temper tantrum and going out, then deciding she wanted back in. As a business owner, I wouldn't want to partner with someone that flighty.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Kid's healthy meals, I can see why Bethenny went for it, but do people really spend that much on kid's meals?     I guess people with a whole lot of money can afford to do this, but I don't think it's really going to replace Lunchables.    

I can't see someone spending $8 for macaroni and cheese when you know your kid won't eat the broccoli that comes with it.

• Love 3

I couldn't watch the pimple popper thing. WTF is going on with humans? This is a thing now? Jesus God. Calgon take us away.  

I think Bethanny just desperately wanted to make a deal, any deal, so she was just flailing an offer out there that they would take. I doubt Yumbly will amount to anything. 

• Love 6
On 12/16/2018 at 8:45 PM, TVbitch said:

I couldn't watch the pimple popper thing. WTF is going on with humans? This is a thing now? Jesus God. Calgon take us away.  

I think Bethanny just desperately wanted to make a deal, any deal, so she was just flailing an offer out there that they would take. I doubt Yumbly will amount to anything. 

I love her obnoxious "I'll be your spokesperson..."  After watching her on RHONY, she'd be the last person I'd want as a spokesperson.  Yes, she is extremely wealthy.  Yes, she hustles.  But she's also a neurotic mess of a person whose "zero fucks" attitude means she is one tweet away from seriously offending the masses (and I'm surprised she still has followers given her controversial remarks to black women entrepreneurs and her complaints about Spanish-speaking Kmart employees).

• Love 2

I hated the Yumble lady's info-mercial style pitch.  Reminded me of those ridiculous as-seen-on-TV commercial with the over-dramatized frustrations. And while she had great arms and clearly worked hard at it, wearing the muscle shirt was obnoxious to me.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I love her obnoxious "I'll be your spokesperson..."  After watching her on RHONY, she'd be the last person I'd want as a spokesperson.  

Yes, I was thinking "Um, that's not necessarily a plus."

'

• Love 3
On 12/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, LittleIggy said:

That pimple thing was gross. 

That is the first time that I have ever FF through a pitch on either ST or Dragon's Den. That was DISGUSTING! And they got a deal!?!?!?!?

I agree with everyone who said that the kid's meal was way overpriced. The vinegar thing didn't seem that interesting to me, butvthe Bollywood workout lookee like fun.  Too bad the financials were in such bad shape.