Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Foot Powder and Five Feet of Vodka

paulvdb

Christy’s search for the perfect Secret Santa gift leads her to discover Adam has been hiding something from Bonnie. Also, Tammy looks for a job in order to avoid being sent back to prison.

Airdate: December 13, 2018

Did anyone catch what Jill's gift was? I saw she gave Christy the jacket, but I didn't see what anyone gave to Jill. I also didn't see what Marjorie or Wendy gave.

Christy gifted Wendy with the cookies.

Bonnie gave Marjorie the cat pillow.

Jill gave Christy the jacket.

Tammy gave Bonnie the book.

I can't remember any of the others. Did they show us?

I imagine Jill is really hard to give gifts to, which is why I asked about her in particular.

• Love 2

I've had some reservations about Kristen Johnston's rather broad acting choices in past episodes, but I thought she was great in this one. She toned it down a bit, and was great at the dramatic scenes.

Very minor quibble, but is it really necessary for her name to be Tammy Dillendorf? I have a pet peeve about plus-sized female characters being given goofy, unattractive names. (I may or may not have just watched "Dumplin'" on Netflix, in which an obese female character's name is Millie Michalchuk.)

Anyway...I loved that they acknowledged that they'd given us very few details about Wendy, and that the mobbed up side of her family turned out to be real.

• Love 18

I thought Tammy's last name was Diffendorf. I swear I can hear the f's.

I really liked the Secret Santa plot. 

"I'm in Secret Santa hell" and Bonnie can tell who Christy got just by her eyes. lol A cat pillow and Marjorie is happy as a clam. The book that Tammy got Bonnie and the thought behind it was sweet. Wendy has real mobsters for family, who knew? "Jill says this jacket is $25, and I believe her." lol

I continue to love Jill. "I know we're being supportive, but, do we have to eat here?" "I want to speak to your manager!" "This isn't Neiman's." "...Oh."

You all called it; Bonnie's and Adam's wedding will not happen...

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

I thought Tammy's last name was Diffendorf. I swear I can hear the f's.

Me too.

I'm surprised the show acknowledged that the group (and the viewers) only know 3 (2) things about Wendy. And unfortunately, they don't seem to be in any rush to remedy that.

Is William Fichtner leaving the show? I like Bonnie with Adam so I'm wondering why they are taking their story in this direction.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I'm surprised the show acknowledged that the group (and the viewers) only know 3 (2) things about Wendy. And unfortunately, they don't seem to be in any rush to remedy that.

I know two more: she's a Mensa member and she doesn't dream. But I'll sign the petition for finally giving her a decent plot.

Nice holiday episode.

• Love 15

Also, if he is renting out his place, where was he sleeping? It made no sense. Bonnie was way too understanding about the whole financial mess. Not like her at all. 

I wondered that too so I assume that he's always sleeping over at Bonnie and Christie's, which is why they didn't know he'd rented out his apartment. I was a little put off that Christie just barged into his apartment without knocking. I know she didn't know he'd sublet it to someone else, and that he was supposed to be at work, but still. It's not her apartment and there's a chance he may have been there for some reason. I half expected her to find him at home in bed with another woman. 

Also, I hate to be that nit-picky but is there an drive thru in the world where you don't order through a speaker? Because I've never seen one. 

• Love 5

Overall, I liked this episode. I wonder if Bonnie can find a way to hire Tammy to work on the building. We know that Tammy is better at repairs than Bonnie, and that there is a contstant supply of work there. I thought that's where they were going with the plotline, but I do like the way it was resolved. 

Points to anyone and everyone who thought the wedding wouldn't happen. So much for my theory that it would happen during sweeps. 

• Love 4

I love how it doesn't occur to either one of them that they have options in between dropping a big wad of cash on the wedding they'd planned or not getting married right now at all - how about you go get married and have a nice dinner to celebrate?

How long had he been renting to that guy, did they say (I was only paying partial attention)?  Unless for a very short time, how has he avoided Bonnie ever being at his place for that time?  And if it is quite new, how did he think he'd continue to pull it off?

Oh, well, minor gripes, and I liked all the gift exchange stuff.

5 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I like Bonnie with Adam so I'm wondering why they are taking their story in this direction.

Because the actor playing Adam has other projects going on, so once the characters get married, it will be distracting if he's unavailable for a stretch.  They've also got to put them living together once they get married, and that will change Bonnie & Christy's dynamic, so I can see why they'd want to keep the relationship going yet kick the marriage can down the road.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They've also got to put them living together once they get married, and that will change Bonnie & Christy's dynamic, so I can see why they'd want to keep the relationship going yet kick the marriage can down the road.

The writers should have thought of that before the engagement and wasting our time with episodes involving marriage plans. Sometimes you have to wonder why these writers get paid the big bucks.

• Love 2

I don't see why they couldn't get married and Adam continues living at Bonnie and Christy's place, which he basically has since Roscoe ceased to exist and Adam took over his room.

I'm not looking forward to seeing Bonnie endure another heartbreak.  

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 10
56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

How long had he been renting to that guy, did they say (I was only paying partial attention)?  Unless for a very short time, how has he avoided Bonnie ever being at his place for that time?  And if it is quite new, how did he think he'd continue to pull it off?

The guy said he was renting through Airbnb for a month. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I don'r see why they couldn't get married and Adam continues living at Bonnie and Christy's place, which he basically has since Roscoe ceased to exist and Adam took over his room. 

Adam can't shower at Bonnie and Christy's place, so he is either going elsewhere, taking sponge baths, or gave himself bathroom privileges at the Air BnB.

7 hours ago, Jillybean said:

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I know two more: she's a Mensa member and she doesn't dream. But I'll sign the petition for finally giving her a decent plot.

We also know that she lives in a beautiful house with nurse roommates who cook delicious meals and talk about gory hospital stuff while eating them.

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I wonder if Bonnie can find a way to hire Tammy to work on the building. We know that Tammy is better at repairs than Bonnie, and that there is a contstant supply of work there. I thought that's where they were going with the plotline, but I do like the way it was resolved. 

I don't think Bonnie can officially hire Tammy to work on the building since that's Bonnie's job. Patti LuPone would probably fire Bonnie if she found out.

I have to say, even though I've never liked Kristen Johnston before, I absolutely love the Tammy character. At this point, I'd be more sad about her leaving than I would about Adam leaving.

• Love 6

I remember thinking when Tammy first started doing the handyman thing for Bonnie & Adam: " why doesn't she get her GET number, get licensed as a contractor, and  be a handyman?" Didn't make a lick of sense to me that she needed a "JOB" when she literally already HAD one. Isn't handyman a job? Isn't she doing repairs at the apartment building and at the Bar? Isn't that a JOB? Instead of wasting time going from place to place to place, It seems to me all Bonnie had to do was call the owner of the building and get permission to hire Tammy as her assistant/handyman. That's exactly what I (stupidly) assumed she'd do. Or hey, does ADAM'S BUILDING Need a handyman? What about  Wendy's? Does any of the AA Ladies' buildings need a handyman????? 

To be honest I hated this episode (sorry *sad face*). It was so predictable and cheesy.

I also heard the hot-naked-dude say Air BnB.

It's so obvious that those two aren't going to make it. They took the 'wedding money' and put it into the bar. Next thing you know they'll be pawning her ring for money for the bar. I predict that next season? They're going to close the bar. Not because they're not making money, but because Adam got a huge job in the movie business. HUGE JOB. That Bonnie can't (won't) come with him for. Because it's in England, or France, Or Belgium or somewhere NOT in America. And surprise, she's so not ready to leave her support system. Adam so doesn't understand that.

Huge fight.  They break up. Who knows, Bonnie may get the dog since he can't take it overseas for whatever reason. Her girls close ranks around her...we may even see evil devil child (christie's kid who hates her) again...

There. There's your sweeps episode.

OR

He takes the job, goes overseas, she keeps the dog, they 'see each other' now and again (his cameos to fulfill contractual obligations) and one day? like the Kids? He's just...nonexistant.

Ooh! Maybe TAMMY runs the Bar! (I'm at work & edit doesn't work on this computer.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

They're going to close the bar. Not because they're not making money, but because Adam got a huge job in the movie business. HUGE JOB. That Bonnie can't (won't) come with him for. Because it's in England, or France, Or Belgium or somewhere NOT in America. And surprise, she's so not ready to leave her support system. Adam so doesn't understand that.

We already know Bonnie has been banned from traveling to Indonesia.

• Love 2

Fun Episode.  I know I'm probably in the minority, but, I wouldn't mind seeing Adam leave.  I think it would open up more story opportunities for Bonnie, honestly, I think Bonnie and Adam are getting a little stale.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

I remember thinking when Tammy first started doing the handyman thing for Bonnie & Adam: " why doesn't she get her GET number, get licensed as a contractor, and  be a handyman?" Didn't make a lick of sense to me that she needed a "JOB" when she literally already HAD one. Isn't handyman a job? Isn't she doing repairs at the apartment building and at the Bar? Isn't that a JOB? Instead of wasting time going from place to place to place, It seems to me all Bonnie had to do was call the owner of the building and get permission to hire Tammy as her assistant/handyman. That's exactly what I (stupidly) assumed she'd do. Or hey, does ADAM'S BUILDING Need a handyman? What about  Wendy's? Does any of the AA Ladies' buildings need a handyman????? 

It would be very hard for her to get that kind of job just after getting out of prison. She would be considered too big of a liability.  If the building owner found out Tammy has been working on the building Bonnie would probably be fired.

14 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Also, if he is renting out his place, where was he sleeping? It made no sense. Bonnie was way too understanding about the whole financial mess. Not like her at all. 

I assume at Bonnie and Christie's. But I guess it didn't occur to him that Bonnie has a key to his place and might go over there for some reason or other without him?

• Love 1

I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy and am constantly entertained by Wendy and her sparingly doling out information about herself.  In this group of five women, where 4 have no problem talking about themselves incessantly at the drop of a hat, she is a breath of fresh air.

• Love 19
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

Tammy needs an on the books job, though, because of the whole staying out of prison thing. She was doing "odd jobs" but she needed to show steady, on-going employment with pay stubs, and do it all on the up and up.

Is this a normal requirement for parole though? These days, even people without criminal records struggle to get steady jobs and have to hustle in the gig economy to survive. And the parole officer only gave Tammy one week, right before the holidays, to find a job.

In the end the parole officer did agree to let Tammy do odd handyman jobs for various women in the group, but in their first meeting it sounded like she wanted Tammy to find a steady job.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Is this a normal requirement for parole though? These days, even people without criminal records struggle to get steady jobs and have to hustle in the gig economy to survive. And the parole officer only gave Tammy one week, right before the holidays, to find a job.

In the end the parole officer did agree to let Tammy do odd handyman jobs for various women in the group, but in their first meeting it sounded like she wanted Tammy to find a steady job.

Employment can be a condition of parole. Tammy should have been fine if she could show that she was looking for a job but couldn’t get hired anywhere. The one week timeline was stupid but I think it was supposed to be because the previous parole officer was a pushover. 

Odd jobs are probably okay has long as they are legal. Tammy’s previous handyman jobs were under the table. 

1 hour ago, LadyKenobi said:

Ending was distractingly convenient. Even if Juan was cool, you’d think he’d have something in the interview paperwork saying Tammy was a handyman. Bonnie is savvy enough to have made some proof magically appear, if even from Adam.

Yeah. They went traditional cheesy Christmas episode. 

On 12/14/2018 at 10:44 AM, Jillybean said:

I think we know a lot about Wendy, I remember an episode where somebody wanted to move in with Wendy, but was so grossed out by the conservation of Wendy and her (I wanna say ummm... 3 ) roommates about work they couldn't eat their dinner. Any of Wendy's roommates would have been an easy way to find out what Wendy wanted from her Secret Santa.

I am pretty sure that person was Christy, but I can't remember why she wanted to live somewhere else.

• Love 1
On 12/14/2018 at 2:24 PM, bichonblitz said:

The writers should have thought of that before the engagement and wasting our time with episodes involving marriage plans. Sometimes you have to wonder why these writers get paid the big bucks.

So many shows do this though,  especially with lonnnngggggg egagements, and wedding plans ad infinitum that never happen.  

It's a classic tv trop.

Happy marriages kill the will they/won't they buzz              (Sam/Diane)  and wedding anticipation (Rhoda). Too early to think of others now.  

And just a general question,  why so many widows/widowers on tv v. divorcees? I know,  but it's just not realistic. 

Bonnie is a handful, not a good one all the time.  

Adding the bar to the premise of this recovery -based show is an overhanging threat to all the ladies. 

I do like Adam, though.  

More Wendy and Marjorie. I would fucking love a throwback show that shows them young and dumb and fun, and then, how they got addicted. 

Jill's also one note... so rich, not grokking how average joes live........yada,  yada, yada. 

Kinda tiring of sad sack stressed Kristie, and mean, rude Bonnie. 

• Love 4

I don’t think they well write Adam out. Or their are any signs they are going to phase the character out. I just think it as simple as the actor is shooting Prison Break. And not available as much. So if they do eventually write Adam out. Maybe why. I love Adam though. I’ve noticed how close he and Christie have gotten. So I hope he sticks around.

He adds a lot to the show. I agree to a certain degree Bonnie and Adam have gotten stale. But a lot of that is due to getting them engaged. And not really framing any real story structure. They killed off Alvin. Which shows Mom is not afraid to tackle big issues compared to other sitcoms. So I wonder if they want to write out Adam. Killing him off maybe the way to go. Although not sure want to see Bonnie grieving again. 

I agree Bonnie was too reasonable about Adams Financial Situation. But she has matured a lot. So I think Adams had a positive change on her. Overall I think it was a good episode. Slightly predictable yes. The best episode this season was 6x06. Jello Shots and Secrets about Santa. Add more dimensions. 

• Love 1
On 12/16/2018 at 11:47 AM, Tosia said:

And just a general question,  why so many widows/widowers on tv v. divorcees? I know,  but it's just not realistic. 

I might be able to answer your question, but I am not sure what you are asking. Could you try rewording/rephrasing the question? 

Posting to say that after the episode with Christy and Violet, I knew it wasn't gonna happen either. They wouldn't want to write Violet and Christy having to deal with each other during the wedding or Violet not showing up for her "life preserver's" wedding so no way was it gonna be a big family affair and we would see Violet and Roscoe because they just don't want to write for her children anymore. This also means that they don't have to talk about them and can continue pretending that they don't exist or only bring them out to dump on Christy some more.

• Love 1

Just watched this on demand and missed whatever it was Bonnie did to energize the bar business so much. Fun episode but I don’t want to watch the whole thing again since I can’t fast-forward.

Would somebody please clue me in to Bonnie's Brilliant idea?

Thanks, and I also love that Wendy comes from a mob family and she’s not wasting any words telling Christy to forget what she knows. The AA meeting women are easily 50% of what I love about this show! 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Would somebody please clue me in to Bonnie's Brilliant idea?

She posted on line that it was a great place to come to when you're sick of the Napa wine scene and want to spend time with Gus (the dog).

• Love 3