Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Time Machine

The five remaining celebrity kids travel to the past and the future and perform a dance from their chosen era. The couples go back in time to the 1920s, '40s, '50s and '80s, while one takes a peek into the future. At the end of the night, there will be an elimination.

Airs November 25, 2018.

Seriously, if you are going to do a Time Machine and do an 80s base, you do not play a song form late 2011 early 2012. I mean, the dance moves, the clothes and even the story was all 80s. But the song, Call me Maybe? Really? Seriously? Plus, why did the 70s get over looked and what was up with the "future" dance?

• Love 19
47 minutes ago, readster said:

Seriously, if you are going to do a Time Machine and do an 80s base, you do not play a song form late 2011 early 2012. I mean, the dance moves, the clothes and even the story was all 80s. But the song, Call me Maybe? Really? Seriously? Plus, why did the 70s get over looked and what was up with the "future" dance?

Similarly, if you're going to do a 40s Quickstep and a 20s Charleston, you might want to consider using an actual 40s-era big band song for the Quickstep and an actual 20s Charleston song for the Charleston, especially when you go out of your way to make sure that the costumes are on point for the specific era.

As for the "future" Paso Doble, I didn't have any problem with the concept -- I remember that Derek Hough pulled off a very creditable one to "In the Year 2525" a number of years ago.  I had more problems with Cheryl's choreography and the execution.  I thought there should have been a bit more content, and I also thought it lacked drive, aggression, and attack.  The posture was also wonky, and the Spanish lines seemed weak and the movements not nearly sharp enough.  Not my favorite dance by a long shot!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, readster said:

Thank you! None of the songs used tonight matched the dances, except for Miles and Rylee's routine. Overall, I didn't care any of the dances this week. Very underwhelming. Probably my least favorite episode. If I had to choose, Sky and JT faired the best tonight. 

Edited by PumpkinLumpkin
  • Love 5

I am in agreement. I was just about to post about the music for this episode. The show really dropped the ball on that. I love the idea of different decades but how difficult would have it been to clear an 80s song for an 80s dance? I thought the only music that was a good fit for the era was Miles.

The kids were all great as usual.

• Love 4

ITA. That was a fun concept which needed the music to follow through, like the costuming did. And Skye is very cute and talented, but does Allan know the Charleston? I really saw very little Charleston content in that dance.  All the kids are pretty amazing, actually.

• Love 2

Sky is such a cutie. Very talented and always in an upbeat mood. Personally, I have never heard of her before. She is putting on a pretty good show for a skate boarder with no dance experience.  I would say it's a tossup between Sky and Ariana on who will take 1st prize.  I have to give Kudos to the show. There has been no leaking from anyone involved with the show on who wins the MBT. 

• Love 8

Definitely will have to agree with the music tonight. Not sure why they didn't choose songs from the eras they were dancing in. Miles was the only one who had a good song choice. I get they're kids, but you don't need to do pop for every single dance. Sky's could get a pass just because that was used in The Great Gatsby and matched the dance very well. 

I say the standouts tonight were Miles and Sky. Miles absolutely redeemed himself after last week. Slow dances just don't seem like his strong suit. Sky lost timing in a few parts, but I felt hers was definitely the most fun to watch tonight. Sad Cheryl didn't give Mandla good choreo this week. He's good dancer, just seemed to live and die by her choreo. And sadly tonight was one of those bad nights. I think he had a good chance to make the semifinals if he did well here :/

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Martice Buhari said:

Actually, I think Mandla was going to be toast either way.  I just felt it in my gut.  Just like Akash was the weakest of the F6 last week, Mandla was weakest of the F5.  I think he's the only one of the Juniors never to get at least a nine, and he's definitely seemed the most limited out of them.  This week, sadly, just proved it.  Although, yes, Cheryl's choreography certainly didn't help.

So Ariana, Miles, Sky, and Mackenzie are the F4, huh?  This seems about right, because I think they're the four strongest Juniors this season.  Next week, I think, is really going to matter in terms of dances, because I can't really tell which of these four could just miss the finale.

I thought Mandla really showed promise last week. (He got all 9s). Too bad he went backwards this week. I thought he would have a chance if he had a good performance again. It's too bad as Sky has REALLY stepped up her game these past 2 weeks, and Mandla just hasn't gotten to that level, so it was definitely the right call for him to leave.

And as far as I'm aware, there's no elimination next week, so these are the F4 for the finale. A VERY good group imo. Any of them deserve to win, though I personally really hope Mackenzie doesn't. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Padma said:

ITA. That was a fun concept which needed the music to follow through, like the costuming did. And Skye is very cute and talented, but does Allan know the Charleston? I really saw very little Charleston content in that dance.  All the kids are pretty amazing, actually.

I was very excited to see Sky do great swivels in the "teaser". I was fully expecting more Charleston content too.

Agree with those above....the music should have been from the 1920's.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Padma said:

Oh, I don't know.  I thought I saw plenty of content.  The problem was that the troupe took away from the performance.  It really wasn't necessary to have them be such an integral part of the choreography -- Sky and JT's routine would have looked a lot better if they had just been allowed to do it themselves. And the bad music selection didn't help, either.  It really obscured some of the cheeky nature of the Charleston.  I think that's why it appeared to have less content than it really did.

• Love 7

I also had a feeling Mandla would go. 

10 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Hey, anything that has music from "Gangsta's Paradise" is always all right with me!

I'm not sure which version they were playing, but ironically Stevie Wonder did the original melody to that song in 1976, Pastime Paradise.

8 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

I would say it's a tossup between Sky and Ariana on who will take 1st prize.  

I agree and I'd say it's probably going to be Ariana as winner, the show seems to favor her a bit more.

I absolutely love Sky, I just want to put her in my pocket.  She reminds me of a young Bindi Irwin.  And I know Bindi wasn't always a favorite 'round these parts but I like her.  

Add me to the list of ones bitching throughout the episode that the songs weren't era-appropriate.  

All in all, I liked this show and wouldn't mind this being a regular series.  It lets me lightly take part in my show obsession on days the regular show isn't on or when the regular show has ended for the season.  

• Love 4

For some reason the only song choice that bothered me was Call Me Maybe.  I think because it would have been so easy to find an appropriate 80's song.  I also have to call out Gleb because he had a kid with some jazz training and gave her the worst and most underwhelming choreography.  His limitations showed here.

But I do agree this show has mostly wound up with the right final 4 in terms of overall skill and entertainment, regardless of age.  So it's ahead of the regular show there.

I don't know that I hated any of the routines.  Mandla's was lacking, though one thing I do like to see is Brightyn seems to do a fair bit of coaching of Mandla himself and she even talks him through it on the dance floor.  That is one advantage to slightly older pro kids that are able to do that for their celebs.  Mack's was underwhelming, but that wasn't on her but on Gleb.

I liked Sky/JT's routine and I thought she did a good job of standing out from the troupe, but I agree that I don't think it was necessary for the troupe to be on the floor the whole time. I get why Alan did it and I don't mind as much because he rarely does it, but the song was about a party so he was trying to make it a party.

I do think audience vote wise it would come down to Ariana and Sky since they have the mix of skill and cuteness I'm sure the audience would love.  My only critique I ever have for Ariana is I feel like she has more personality off the dance floor than on if that makes sense.  Maybe it's because Brandon is really pushing her technically and giving her lots of content, but on the dance floor she mostly plasters on a smile and gets about the dance as opposed to any real emoting.  But she's young and again, being pushed pretty hard by her mentor.  Sky can do the fake smile thing too, but often her real emotions sort of shine through the dance, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, still more pleased with how this season is progressing as opposed to the regular show.  While I still think Mack looks out of place amongst the little kids, none of these kids would be bad winners.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

I did not know this.  Thanks for the heads up!

I didn't know either until last night.  My boyfriend told me which surprised me as I'm more into the "older" music like Stevie Wonder and old R&B.  So that makes two of us!

• Love 1

I could have done without seeing HBB (aka Alana) on my screen again last night.  It was a surprise reveal to be sure as the troupe even choreographed same.  Problem is - she still doesn't dance - sort of the Grocery Store Joe/Bobby Bones of the Juniors set, she just stands, bends a bit, and strikes poses.  Having just her and the experienced kids in the troupe side by side didn't do her any favors.  I kind of wonder what the back story was behind that brief reappearance - seemed odd.

• Love 10

I didn't like this one overall, and why did they bring back Alana?

I liked that Miles' 50s dance actually had a 50s song to go along with it, and I thought he did a good job with the jive. This was my favorite dance of the night.

Mackenzie can go now, and seriously, there wasn't a song from the 80s that they could have danced a jazz routine to? Ugh.

Did Ariana and Artyon really do a selfie at the end of their dance? Yeah, that and the song choice really took me back to the 40s. <eye roll> Also, while I understand that they are kids, there were to many breaks in hold and too much space between them in hold for a quickstep.

As for Mandla, why a futuristic dance? While I think he danced well, I just didn't really get the concept behind it. 

Sky and JT are cute, and it was a fun dance, but she's kind of starting to annoy me with her speeches.

Sorry, apparently watching this made me kind of cranky.

• Love 5

I agree with everyone about the music choices - I found it really distracting, especially for Makenzie. I think it’s because she went second, and Miles got an era appropriate song, followed by her “80’s” number danced to.....Call Me Maybe?!? I spent her whole number wondering why they were doing an 80’s dance to a song recorded in the 2000’s.  I heard her say that and at first I thought she said Call Me by Blondie which would have made more sense.....by the time they got to Sky I completely expected the music to not fit the era they represented. What a waste of a good idea!

I think Miles has really come along and surprisingly he’s turning out to be the best dancer for me. I’m still amazed at what these kids pick up technique-wise that so many adults on the regular show can’t master (Including this season’s “winner”!).

I love Sky’s girl power message but I don’t need to hear that speech every week. It’s coming off now as a kid who got praised for something once so they keep doing it until it becomes annoying.

A & A continue to be the cutest. Their convo about crushes and blushing was funny. 1940’s actress = Angelina Jolie - ha! I seriously question whether Breakfast at Tiffany’s is Arianna’s favorite movie......

• Love 4
15 hours ago, sd dude said:

I could have done without seeing HBB (aka Alana) on my screen again last night.  It was a surprise reveal to be sure as the troupe even choreographed same.  Problem is - she still doesn't dance - sort of the Grocery Store Joe/Bobby Bones of the Juniors set, she just stands, bends a bit, and strikes poses.  Having just her and the experienced kids in the troupe side by side didn't do her any favors.  I kind of wonder what the back story was behind that brief reappearance - seemed odd.

My thoughts exactly! Plus it doesn't seem fair to the other kids who were eliminated that she was singled out to dance with the troupe. No doubt she whined & cried her way to that appearance.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I heard her say that and at first I thought she said Call Me by Blondie which would have made more sense.

Totally off topic, but like 30 seconds after I read this line "Call Me" came on the radio on my work computer.  That was weird.

callme.jpg.112af9304d63b35a157e0db79324902b.jpg

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I seriously question whether Breakfast at Tiffany’s is Arianna’s favorite movie......

I thought the same thing when she said that.  It seems to be "in" for girls to worship Audrey Hepburn (but most wouldn't know a movie she was in other than Breakfast at Tiffany's) or Marilyn Monroe.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Sky and JT are cute, and it was a fun dance, but she's kind of starting to annoy me with her speeches.

Sky and JT are my favorite team and I hope they win. JT is a good dancer and is so cute too. But.......Sky should curtail those speeches at this point. I'm tiring of them too.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I don't know.  I thought I saw plenty of content.  The problem was that the troupe took away from the performance.  It really wasn't necessary to have them be such an integral part of the choreography -- Sky and JT's routine would have looked a lot better if they had just been allowed to do it themselves. And the bad music selection didn't help, either.  It really obscured some of the cheeky nature of the Charleston.  I think that's why it appeared to have less content than it really did.

Personally, I don't know why DWTS juniors even have a troupe. I don't remember seeing them very often, and of what I have seen, has just been forgettable bumpers here and there. I don't even know any of their names, like I do with the regular DWTS show.

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BeeBop88 said:

Personally, I don't know why DWTS juniors even have a troupe. I don't remember seeing them very often, and of what I have seen, has just been forgettable bumpers here and there. I don't even know any of their names, like I do with the regular DWTS show.

I think the troupe are just junior pros that didn’t make it into the actual show. I think Mikaela was supposed to be a pro, but she was dropped in favor of someone else due to a better height match for the celebrity.

• Love 3
On 11/26/2018 at 5:11 AM, legaleagle53 said:

I thought there was a satisfactory amount of content as well. I saw swivels, I saw kicks and footwork that often show up in quicksteps.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Sky and JT are my favorite team and I hope they win. JT is a good dancer and is so cute too. But.......Sky should curtail those speeches at this point. I'm tiring of them too.

I think the actual content of the speeches are her, but I bet she's being egged on by production at this point.  Also I think being egged on by the reaction she gets when she does it.  But when I was watching it all I could think of was people on here complaining about her speeches the week before and if that annoyed them, then they must be really annoyed this week.

I think the troupe are just junior pros that didn’t make it into the actual show. I think Mikaela was supposed to be a pro, but she was dropped in favor of someone else due to a better height match for the celebrity.

That is what I heard too on Mikaela.  She got so far as to a first rehearsal with one of the male celebs...can't remember who they had her paired with and then she got pushed to the troupe and somebody else promoted.  I assume it was an age/height issue.

There isn't a huge need for the troupe on this show, especially since at least some of them, or one that I know of, has like no ballroom experience.  I was aware of Reese Hatala (blondish girl) only because her older sister Taylor Hatala is a fairly known hip hop dancer in the industry.  Reese is primarily a hip hop dancer.

Anyway, based on social media I get the sense that the Jrs. troupe is being shepherded and taught by Morgan from the regular DWTS troupe.  Pretty sure she's the one choreographing for them and giving them orders on the dance floor as I've seen several references to her being on the headset when the troupe is doing anything on the floor.  Which makes sense since Hayley and Brandon were pros on this show so it would have to fall to someone else and I'm not sure if Britt from the DWTS troupe had any involvement here.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, spanana said:

I think the actual content of the speeches are her, but I bet she's being egged on by production at this point.  Also I think being egged on by the reaction she gets when she does it.

I don't think it's by production, just the general reaction to it by the judges and audience. This is very typical of kids. Kids (especially young ones) LOVE praise so when she's constantly getting these great reactions after saying her speeches, it just encourages her to say them more and more. Of course as an adult, you wouldn't want to respond negatively to a kid doing a generally positive thing, even if you're getting annoyed. So it just begins the cycle of what's happening currently with Sky and her speeches. I would prefer she tone down on the speeches, but I'm assuming she won't since the show is already prerecorded. 

• Love 1
On 11/27/2018 at 2:26 AM, MsTree said:

No doubt she whined & cried her way to that appearance.

I was going to say the exact same thing, that HBB threw such a tantrum that they promised she could come back.  I cannot STAND that child. She was so totally out of her league on this show but I'm sure she believed she would win.

Agree that Skye needs to cut it out with the motivational speeches.

I'm amazed at how well these kids can dance.  Miles, Skye, Ariana ..... I don't count Mackenzie.  I'll be happy with any one of those 3 as winners and I'm hoping for a second season.  Maybe they'll get new judges.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I was going to say the exact same thing, that HBB threw such a tantrum that they promised she could come back.  I cannot STAND that child. She was so totally out of her league on this show but I'm sure she believed she would win.

Agree that Skye needs to cut it out with the motivational speeches.

I'm amazed at how well these kids can dance.  Miles, Skye, Ariana ..... I don't count Mackenzie.  I'll be happy with any one of those 3 as winners and I'm hoping for a second season.  Maybe they'll get new judges.

Mandy can stay as a judge.  At least her critiques are useful and helpful.  I'd replace Val with Artem or Sasha and Adam with well -- just about anybody.

• Love 4

I feel Val has some negative critiques to give, but is holding back due to them being kids. There’s multiple instances where it looks like he’s about to say something, but stops himself. I get he wants to be a nice guy, but this IS a competition and he should be doing his job.

Totally agree pretty much anyone with dance experience could replace Adam.

Edited by galax9845
  • Love 6

I love Skye, she's so cute. I love the whole team. But if Alexis is supposedly Alan's girlfriend, but she's not because it's a showmance, wouldn't she be there to cheer them on? I noticed Milo was there. He looked kind of blue. I think he's still stunned and sad that Bobby won. I also like Arianna. She's really good and likable and her partner is too. I think Miles is good too but I like the two girls better. I also wish they had music that went with the era and not pick random music for the dances.

I don't like how Adam acts like he knows what he's talking about and thinks he knows what he means when he gives the scores he does.

I think Val as a judge is fine and so is Mandy. I just don't like Adam as a judge. Keep those two and replace him.

I thought HHB has an inflated sense of how good she was. If she was more likable, I would have given her some credit for her attempts, but she wasn't.

Also I think the troupes now are overused on both DWTS and DWTS Jr. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

I love Skye, she's so cute. I love the whole team. But if Alexis is supposedly Alan's girlfriend, but she's not because it's a showmance, wouldn't she be there to cheer them on? I noticed Milo was there. He looked kind of blue.

The whole Juniors season was filmed over the summer, and wrapped in August, before the current season of DWTS ever happened.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

I don't like how Adam acts like he knows what he's talking about and thinks he knows what he means when he gives the scores he does.

I agree.  He KNOWS he doesn't know dancing, so he rambles on about focus and star quality, etc.  What's WORSE is that more often he ends up giving a LOWER score than the judges who actually know what they're supposed to see and judge!

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 1

I agree with the comments about Honey Boo-Boo (we KNOW that's what we call her).   Did she or her mother put up such a stink when she lost that she was allowed to come back?   I didn't find her smartass behavior toward her coach to be funny or entertaining at all.  She has a lot of life strikes against her and she needs to learn how to be a kind and appreciative young girl.

She'll be embarrassed in later years to see this particular performance was nothing but "momentum," shaking her boobs left and right, shaking her belly left and right...and letting them settle on their own.  I don't know that she can do a lot about her weight until she moves away from home, but she can do EVERYTHING about her attitude; it's not cute.

• Love 4

I think it's a bit unfair to assume that Alanna threw a tantrum and that is why she did a bumper.  Maybe she was attending the show anyway and Morgan (who is running the troupe) said why not?  It's not like it would have take any rehearsal.  Or maybe if someone threw a tantrum it was her mother or her handlers.  Alanna is the product on the environment in which she was raised, through no fault of her own.  When she's an adult she's fair game, but for now I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.  Especially since I have heard other rumors about the DWTS Jrs. season and not one of them had to do with Alanna throwing tantrums.  Tripp, yes.  Jenna made it pretty clear Tripp threw tantrums.

There is a rumor however that Gleb pitched a fit to get Mackenize/Sage.  He was supposed to get Keo's people because Gleb has a close mentor type relationship with Lev, Keo's pro.  But for whatever reason, I guess assuming that he had no shot of getting anywhere with his original duo, pitched a fit and somehow got the show to switch his people out with Keo's.  Now I have no idea if there is an ounce of truth to this.  I can buy Gleb doing something shady because he is shady IMO, but the part that doesn't totally wash to me is why would the producers have any desire to give in to his demands.  If Val tried to get people switched, the show would probably do it to keep him happy and to keep him on the show.  But Gleb isn't exactly a great loss.  Anyway, on the small chance there is any truth to it, karma found him on the regular DWTS season since he was out first and Keo was in the finals.

And yes, the thing about Jrs. and it being pre-taped is if the kids were going to take any feedback about how they are coming across to the general audience, it's too late by the time the show airs.  Also I'd hope most of the younger kids aren't spending hours online reading what people think of them. That isn't healthy.  Yes, they all have social media accounts but I presume for the younger kids the accounts are run in coordination with their parents.  At Miles and Mack's age, yes, I'm sure they are handling their own stuff.

Val is definitely holding back, but I'm not sure why.  He doesn't need to be mean, but I think his biggest issue is not trying to be nice but him needing to find ways to give somewhat technical critiques in language the kids would understand.  Mandy has figured out how to do this.  I'm not sure the last time Val even gave a technical critique.  He critiqued Mack last week, but it wasn't on technique.  Also FWIW, while I did understand what the judges were saying about Mack having an emotional break through in terms of her performances, that wasn't going to happen while dancing to Call Me Maybe so it felt like the wrong critique for the wrong week.  Val is supposedly there to be the ballroom judge, yet barely says anything about their ballroom skills unless he's praising them.

ETA: If we have to have random person with DWTS connections there with no real dancing expertise, I'd be cool if they switched out Adam with Milo Manheim.  Or they could switch out Frankie with Milo.  Jordan is a good host.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, spanana said:

I think it's a bit unfair to assume that Alanna threw a tantrum and that is why she did a bumper.  Maybe she was attending the show anyway and Morgan (who is running the troupe) said why not?  It's not like it would have take any rehearsal.  Or maybe if someone threw a tantrum it was her mother or her handlers.  Alanna is the product on the environment in which she was raised, through no fault of her own.  When she's an adult she's fair game, but for now I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.  Especially since I have heard other rumors about the DWTS Jrs. season and not one of them had to do with Alanna throwing tantrums. 

If not Alana, someone in her camp whined because clearly she is a terrible dancer. I don't believe Morgan would say why not when he has better choices. Let's face it, Alana & her mother are used to being winners...and used to being in the spotlight. Once she was eliminated, that spotlight was gone. And with several weeks to go before the end, she would be all but forgotten.

And while she may be a product of her environment, she's no longer a baby. She's a teenager, and needs to learn that winning isn't everything...and you're not always going to win. No amount of rubbing your eyes out is going to change that.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, WildFlower87 said:

I feel like every week the producers are really trying to get it through our heads that Mackenzie is not at an advantage in this competition and it’s getting annoying.

The professional showbiz moms (like Alanna's and MacKenzie's) work the system.  They have agents; their kids have agents.  They're been around "the biz" for years!

The competition shows all work with the agents because that way they know the competitors and their parents have some sort of preparation (working with directors, cameras, following directions, showing up on time, etc.).  Sometimes we're stuck with contestants a bit too long because they, their parents, OR their agents are the pushiest.  These may be "kids," but they are also working professionals being paid well.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, spanana said:

ETA: If we have to have random person with DWTS connections there with no real dancing expertise, I'd be cool if they switched out Adam with Milo Manheim.  Or they could switch out Frankie with Milo.  Jordan is a good host.

Even though I’d love to see Frankie go, I think Milo would be a major asset to the judges’ table. 

Milo has the advantage of being younger,  like the Juniors, and he actually danced/rehearsed for an entire season. (Looking at you, Adam!)

While he isn’t a pro dancer, Milo sure did made it look easy as early as week one - while adhering to the work limits imposed for minors.

He didn’t make excuses, blame music or wardrobe (Disney Week’s costumes did sabotage his ability to rock that Quickstep) or mention his schedule at all when he had an “off week.” 

During their group dance on DWTS during Country Week, the only ones not whining about Len’s 9 were Emma, Evanna & Milo.

He’s also pretty funny too; he had some one liners that made me root for him even more. “You’re going to have so many 15 year old girls mad at you now - watch out!” 

That’s the exact kind of energy and vitality that the Jrs version needs to have in order to inject some life into the show. 

• Love 1