Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men Franchise

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Johnny Cash singing 'Hurt?' Yeah... they got me. I hate comic!Logan and I suffer from movie!Logan overdose but they got me with this one. Ugh. Dammit... that was a really well done trailer.

Or was it just that Johnny Cash was singing and Old Man Logan was looking haggard and weary and this is Hugh Jackman's last Wolverine film?

I don't even know at this point.

• Love 2

After my last post i watched the red band trailer which was even more awesome. It is amazing to me it has taken this long for an R rated Wolverine movie, especially with how memorable the attack on the mansion scene in X2 was.

And since this is Jackman's last go as Wolverine, i kind of feel bad for whoever the cast to play the character next.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And since this is Jackman's last go as Wolverine, i kind of feel bad for whoever the cast to play the character next.

The best thing to do would be go for someone who looks different, so it's hard to compare. For example, a short Canadian instead of a tall Australian.

• Love 1
On 21/10/2016 at 9:10 PM, Joe said:

The best thing to do would be go for someone who looks different, so it's hard to compare. For example, a short Canadian instead of a tall Australian.

I feel like you could get someone who wss the exact opposite of Jackman in every way and you would still get all kinds of comparisons. Sean Connery only played Bond for 6 movies across 9 years and all other Bonds are always compared to him. Jackman has played Wolverine in 9 movies over 17 years. The next actor is going to have it rough.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 4

They seem to have done fine with the younger recasts of Professor X and Magneto, so I don't think it's an impossible task. Though the Mystique and Beast recasts show the process is not without its stumbling blocks.

• Love 2
On 10/26/2016 at 9:30 AM, Bruinsfan said:

They seem to have done fine with the younger recasts of Professor X and Magneto, so I don't think it's an impossible task. Though the Mystique and Beast recasts show the process is not without its stumbling blocks.

However those recast were going back into history of the character and not the future or our present

• Love 1
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 0:52 PM, VCRTracking said:

I love the tone of the trailer and according to the official synopsis the little girl is Laura Kinney(X-23), who is Logan's female clone from the comics. She's a great character.

I love X-23 because she's one of the rare ideas in the whole Weapon X saga that makes any sense. They were always trying to recapture Wolverine to figure out how his DNA works, which was stupid because Wolverine is dangerous and he's constantly leaving a ton of blood everywhere. Just experiment on whatever blood and tissue he's left at a battle. Duh.

I also love X-23 because she's part of that group of characters that was created for a cartoon that has made it into the comics (Firestar, Harley Quinn, Renee Montoya, Kaldur'ahm).

It's comforting that they knew early on who would be perfect for the role, at least. The studio just wasn't willing to back a truck of money up to Basset's door on behalf of an unproven film. (Not to imply she wouldn't have been worth every cent!)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

It's comforting that they knew early on who would be perfect for the role, at least. The studio just wasn't willing to back a truck of money up to Basset's door on behalf of an unproven film. (Not to imply she wouldn't have been worth every cent!)

The first movie had a relatively small budget of like $75 million. Like you said it was totally unproven, a comic book movie about characters most people had never heard of. So i can totally see them not want to spend a ton of money on it, and i can see someone like Basset not wanting to waste her time unless they made it worth her while.

(edited)

The first casting has been announced for The New Mutants!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-new-mutants-movie-casts-anya-taylor-joy-maisie-williams-1002743

Maisie Williams has been cast as Wolfsbane and Anya Taylor-Joy has been cast as Magik.

Truth be told, both actresses are too old for their characters.  Rahne started at 13 in the comics and Magik is 14 when she joined the team.  Rahne is also a natural redhead and Scottish.  The New Mutants ranged in age from 13-19 and I think that's going to get lost unfortunately.  But I totally understand the studio going older.  Maisie has the acting chops and I think she could be a great in the role.  I thought when Maisie was younger, she would have made an amazing Molly Powers for Runaways.  I don't know much about Taylor-Joy.

I thought when Maisie was younger, she would have made an amazing Molly Powers for Runaways.

I'm glad to read in the article that Fox is making a serious effort to cast a Native American for Dani (an awesome character btw) and a South American for Sunspot.

I've been a fan of the X-Men for almost 30 years but I only read Chris Claremont's run on The New Mutants a couple of years ago.  I absolutely loved it and I've been looking forward to this movie ever since  I got the first issue of The New Mutants signed by Chris Claremont at NYCC a while back.

Edited by benteen
(edited)

So potential casting news for the next X-Men...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-dark-phoenix-villain-jessica-chastain-talks-role-1013462

I'll put my thoughts in spoilers...

Spoiler

If true, I'm excited about the prospect of the X-Men going into space, as that's been a part of the X-Men series for decades.  Excited about Lilandra.  She's not a villain of course but she wants to destroy the Phoenix, putting her into conflict with the X-Men.  Hope we get the relationship with Charles too although that might be hard in this case.

Here's hoping she brings the Imperial Guard with her, particularly Gladiator.  If you're going to use the Shi'ar, bring some of their superpowers too and expand your own universe.  I wouldn't expect the Starjammers unfortunately...they probably don't want the Guardians comparison.

Can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of Lawrence returning as her performance in these movies hasn't been impressive.  Of course, they've never written Mystique to be as interesting or complex as her comic counterpart.  Mystique IS a killer...deal with it.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 2:04 PM, benteen said:

The first casting has been announced for The New Mutants!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-new-mutants-movie-casts-anya-taylor-joy-maisie-williams-1002743

Maisie Williams has been cast as Wolfsbane and Anya Taylor-Joy has been cast as Magik.

Truth be told, both actresses are too old for their characters.  Rahne started at 13 in the comics and Magik is 14 when she joined the team.  Rahne is also a natural redhead and Scottish.  The New Mutants ranged in age from 13-19 and I think that's going to get lost unfortunately.  But I totally understand the studio going older.  Maisie has the acting chops and I think she could be a great in the role.  I thought when Maisie was younger, she would have made an amazing Molly Powers for Runaways.  I don't know much about Taylor-Joy.

I thought when Maisie was younger, she would have made an amazing Molly Powers for Runaways.

I'm glad to read in the article that Fox is making a serious effort to cast a Native American for Dani (an awesome character btw) and a South American for Sunspot.

I've been a fan of the X-Men for almost 30 years but I only read Chris Claremont's run on The New Mutants a couple of years ago.  I absolutely loved it and I've been looking forward to this movie ever since  I got the first issue of The New Mutants signed by Chris Claremont at NYCC a while back.

Well they really blew it on the casting....

On 11/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, stealinghome said:

Fox seems to be subscribing to the WB's plan with the DCEU, which is "desperately throw a ton of shit at the wall and hope SOMETHING sticks."

And Sony’s plan for the Spider-Man universe. Sigh. They don’t get what makes any of these worlds work.

• Love 1

Agreed.  I have no interest in a Gambit story that doesn't involve him as part of the X-Men.  I don't think the character stands on his own without being part of the team.  He should have been introduced in the main X-Men movies a long time ago and I've wondered if that's the reason the character has lost a lot of prominence over the years.

• Love 3

If this alleged Disney/Fox merger goes through, what do you think they should do with the X-Men? Keep going as is, completely reboot or just incorporate the successsful elements (Hugh Jackman, Deadpoool, etc.)?

I’m for a full reboot only keeping Deadpool. He’s meta and super successful so it hurts no one to keep him around. 

Give us the Dark Phoenix Saga we deserve (in 2025 after the appropriate amount of buildup)!

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Keep Deadpool, Jackman,  Stewart and, get rid of everything else.

I would say retire Wolverine for at least 5 years, and then try to find someone else to handle the role. Jackman will be 50 next year, not sure I want to see him trying to pull off Wolvie in his 50s. Plus i am not sure i want to imagine what kind of brutal training regimen a 50 year old has to go through to get into Wolverine shape. Plus Logan was such an awesome sendoff Jackman coming back to the role would kind of cheapen that.

• Love 2
Just now, Kel Varnsen said:

I would say retire Wolverine for at least 5 years, and then try to find someone else to handle the role. Jackman will be 50 next year, not sure I want to see him trying to pull off Wolvie in his 50s. Plus i am not sure i want to imagine what kind of brutal training regimen a 50 year old has to go through to get into Wolverine shape. Plus Logan was such an awesome sendoff Jackman coming back to the role would kind of cheapen that.

Didn't watch Logan but, I really want Wolverine, Capt. and  Fury in a movie together. Hell, they can throw Black Widow in there and call him "little uncle"

From some of the speculation I saw, Disney might keep things like Deadpool and any other R-rated X-related movies under the 20th Century Fox banner (i.e. separate) like they do with divisions like Miramax and previously Pixar.  Plus if the deal goes through soonish there's a few X-movies in the pipeline that that might not want to scrap. 

In my opinion adding mutants at this point make little sense (although that might change after Avengers 4) and both Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman are retired from their roles (although Jackman did say he'd come back only if he could be an Avenger so there's that if he was at all serious).  Considering the issue with Bryan Singer and the lack luster reviews and box office of Apocalypse, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney brings in new blood to run the franchise.  And I do think its time for some sort of reboot.  It'd be neat if the X-men franchise ended up going in the direction of self contained films like Logan, Deadpool and New Mutants (although New Mutants did not look very good to me, also not quite the direction I'd go).  I get that the Mutant's whole thing is a world that hates and fears them so I wouldn't expect them to do something like X-Men in space but who knows. 

From what I've read, this news doesn't necessarily mean that Disney is close to buying Fox.  There was some speculation that this was a negotiation technique to drive up the price in a bidding war.  That said, I really hope Disney does buy them.  Of course I do own some Disney stock (got it as a Bar Mitzvah gift 23 years ago) but their streaming service is why I'm excited by the prospect (of course also for the Marvel properties and the rumor that this would allow Disney to release the original cut of Star Wars).  I really hope Disney just puts everything on there, their shorts (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc), all their movies, maybe their Disney channel/Disney Jr stuff (as I'm expecting my first kid middle of next year), etc as that would be well worth paying even Netflix level pricing in my mind. 

I'm very resentful of these pay to stream sites. I know that's the future and, the younger people don't really watch live TV or not for cable but, I still do. I don't want to pay for Cable and then a streaming service fee on top of that for CBS or Disney or CW (when it looked Tribune might not renew). 

I got Netflix and cable everything should be included...don't make me pay for Marvel shows Disney!

Other than that ,I'm very excited about the potential for Star Wars Unaltered Trilogy on Blue Ray....please!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

While I don't think we'll ever get a more perfect Xavier than Patrick Stewart, I think Jackman despite how much I love his Wolverine is easily replaceable. 

Yea you could probably find a person to take on the role pretty easily and have him do well. That said, if you do it too soon, all of the media coverage of the movie (and most of the online chatter) will be focused on comparing the new actor to Hugh Jackman no matter how good he is.It will be like when Daniel Craig took over as James Bond (remember all the complaining) except way worse, since Pierce Brosnan wasn't the first Bond, Brosnan was only in 4 Bond movies over 7 years (not 9 movies) and Brosnan wasn't that great a Bond, especially in his last movie which was pretty bad.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

Do people not understand the Phoenix story? That it was Jean making the call to pilot everyone back to safety because she was the only one who could do it, thus sacrificing herself and arising as Phoenix and then catapulting to 'not all that powerful to UBER powerful' and living as Phoenix for years and saving the whole fucking universe before the Hellfire Club came along with Mastermind and purposefully corrupted her? They always seem to want to leapfrog straight to DARK PHOENIX!! Fiery space chicken that destroys everything! AUUUUUGH!

This drives me crazy. We barely even got to know Jean in Apocalypse and now we're supposed to give a shit about Dark Phoenix? God forbid they actually spend time on a female character that isn't Mystique so we might have a chance to invest in what happens to her when she gets phenomenal cosmic power. And, seriously, I have to have Mystique shoved at me in a Phoenix movie now?! I don't suppose they'll allow us to see Jean and Ororo become friends or anything, right?  I mean, that's kind of the point of it... to care about Jean and her relationships with the people she cares about.

And I'm so over Marvels attitude about Phoenix in the first place. It's like they completely forget that Jean was around without the Phoenix Force for YEARS or that Rachel took on the mantle and didn't go crazy and homicidal and maybe instead of looking at the Phoenix as this overwhelming force of destruction, maybe consider the other side of it... the rebirth and new life side.

I don't have high hopes for this. I really don't and it grieves me because I freaking LOVE the X-Men. Yeah, they got Charles and Erik down and they lucked out getting Hugh Jackman as Logan because he is a dynamo of charisma. But they have squandered every other character and forced Mystique in where she has no business being. They've given nothing to Storm, to Rogue, to Kitty, to Jean, to Betsy, to Emma. And they didn't do Mystique any favors either, really. Raven Darkholme is a fucking badass and a hardass. She sure as fuck wasn't some female trophy to be fought over by Charles, Erik and Hank. Crying out loud... the newer X-movies are so blatantly a Charles/Erik tragic love story that trying to have Mystique rammed in their as the communal beard is just ridiculous. And anyway, Mystique's great love was Irene Adler. They could have brought Destiny in in some fashion and that would have been amazing.

I digress...

I'm not feeling confident about this movie. They're skipping too many steps to tell Jean's story. They're not even telling her story... this is going to be about everyone but her I imagine... just like it was the first time they tried it.

• Love 10
On 11/16/2017 at 2:22 PM, benteen said:

Sigh.  I like Jaime Madrox, the Multiple Man.  Especially during Peter David's X-Factor run.  But NOBODY is clamoring for a Multiple Man movie.

[Late reply]I would like a GOOD Multiple Man series![/Late reply]

1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Do people not understand the Phoenix story? That it was Jean making the call to pilot everyone back to safety because she was the only one who could do it, thus sacrificing herself and arising as Phoenix and then catapulting to 'not all that powerful to UBER powerful' and living as Phoenix for years and saving the whole fucking universe before the Hellfire Club came along with Mastermind and purposefully corrupted her? They always seem to want to leapfrog straight to DARK PHOENIX!! Fiery space chicken that destroys everything! AUUUUUGH!

I must say, "Fiery space chicken that destroys everything" would be a great name for a band. :)

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Dandesun said:

God forbid they actually spend time on a female character that isn't Mystique so we might have a chance to invest in what happens to her when she gets phenomenal cosmic power. And, seriously, I have to have Mystique shoved at me in a Phoenix movie now?! 

Is it just because they managed to snag like the biggest actress in the world that they keep pushing Mystique. Because other than that she has never, at leaat in the movies seemed like that interesting a character. And it seems like a role that Jennifer Lawrence hates playing (at least the body paint). I just read an article yesterday on ew.com where she said she was pretty much done with the character after the last movie, but begrudgingly went back because of her relationship with the director. And even after that she seems mad at herself for doing it. So it makes me wonder if she hates it that much why does anyone bother?

On 12/7/2017 at 1:54 PM, benteen said:

I thought Bronson was a fine Bond done in by shitty scripts.  Jackman was a fine Wolverine but like Bronson, can be replaced.

Ahem! It's Brosnan.

And I disagree that Jackman's Wolverine can be replaced. Aside from the height discrepancy (Jackman is much taller), he nailed the character of Logan.

• Love 2
On 07/12/2017 at 1:54 PM, benteen said:

I thought Bronson was a fine Bond done in by shitty scripts.  Jackman was a fine Wolverine but like Bronson, can be replaced.

He can be replaced, but look how many people complained when Daniel Craig was cast as Bond. A  new actor as Logan would get much worse.

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I get it is about money, but fro Jennifer Lawrence's point of view, it is not like she is in a situation where it is either be in X-men or go work at 7-11. She has a ton of options for making a lot of money. From the studio's point of view they pay a bunch of money for someone who is already talking about how much she hates the role.

• Love 2

I would like Jennifer Lawrence to GTFO of the X-Men franchise at least as much as she would. Mystique hasn't been worth watching since Rebecca Romijn played her.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:02 PM, Fukui San said:

Or a Szechuan dish. 

Substitute "basil" for "space" and "bathrooms" for "everything" and my local Thai place already has one.

• Love 8