Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men Franchise

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Simon Kinberg briefly discusses the New Mutants film:

Speaking to whether we might see any already-introduced characters from the X-Men movies in the New Mutants film, Kinberg remarked, “Traditionally, the New Mutants have some characters that cross over from the mainline X-Men movies. As we are going, I would say it's likely that you will see some familiar faces.”

Also head to the IGN article's comments to see people bitching about him describing the film as "Young Adult", suggesting those complainers have never read a single New Mutants comic.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 2

Simon Kinberg briefly discusses the New Mutants film:

Also head to the IGN article's comments to see people bitching about him describing the film as "Young Adult", suggesting those complainers have never read a single New Mutants comic.

Very true.  The New Mutants comic was YA before YA.

When I started reading the Uncanny X-Men years ago, I always remember when the New Mutants popped up and would make references to their comic.  It wasn't until many years later that I finally read the entire Claremont run and it was one of my favorite comics.

• Love 2

I read the whole Claremont run in the Classic editions Marvel put out.

Be interested to see what use they make of characters from the other films.  They could use Stewart, if they wanted to set these in the present day, which I think would probably be necessary since if they were setting it back in the 1980s I'm not sure what the distinction would be between these characters and Professor X's other teenage superteam.  Or they might use one of the other X-Men like, e.g., Ellen Page's Shadowcat.

With all the debate around diversity in film these days, a New Mutants film should be a huge opportunity.  I'm particularly thinking of Dani Moonstar, because how many notable Native American characters are there in popular media?  Particularly outside of period pieces.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3

I read it through the Classics too.  I miss not having a new one come out.

Dani Moonstar is very much a character I want to see in the movies.  I think she's Storm-level awesome as a hero.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, when it rains, it pours.  The generally reliable Drew McWeeny is reporting that New Mutants has two new castings and two established (or soon-to-be-established) castmembers joining:

1.  Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane (will we get a scene with Rahne and Jean at some point?)

2.  Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik

3.  Alexandra Shipp will be playing Storm as part of the team.

4.  James McAvoy as Professor X

Mirage, Cannonball and Sunspot are the other characters being cast.  I'm surprised at this news, because it didn't seem like this movie was near the casting stage.

Edit:  The Nerdist says FOX denied this when asked for comment.  So, shrug, who knows?

Edited by SeanC

I'm going to ask this here, because I haven't seen the movie yet, but who is the guy with Charles and Moira in Apocalypse? It's not Warren. I can't remember his name, but I think his mutant power is that of the Banshee? He's her fiance in the 90s toon, "Proteus" episodes. And looking on imdb didn't give me the answer, either.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

That was Lucas Till (I believe his name was) as Havok and he was in the first film (and briefly appeared in the second one).

Fuck. Another whatthefuckery--making Havok/Alex older than Scott. Though he didn't look like the Havok I remember from First Class. He looked blonder in that one. And here, his hair is more brown. Oh well.

Girding my loins to handwave/forget EVERYTHING I know and try to enjoy the movie when I see it.

Significantly older too, like 20-25 years.  He must have been a half-brother.

I read in the credits that Scott's teacher was played by Ally Sheedy.  Must be an 80s homage.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, benteen said:

Significantly older too, like 20-25 years.  He must have been a half-brother.

I read in the credits that Scott's teacher was played by Ally Sheedy.  Must be an 80s homage.

@benteen, if this movie even reveals that these two are brothers. Or they may just make up the half part, like how this franchise had Logan and Creed as half brothers or some shit like that, which, NEVER HAPPENED!!!!*

That's what I tell myself to keep me sane.

5 hours ago, benteen said:

That was Lucas Till (I believe his name was) as Havok and he was in the first film (and briefly appeared in the second one).

Till plays McGyver in the upcoming TV reboot.

I enjoyed this, though you really needed to know back story to understand it all. Though I didn't like Magneto being a sidekick. That's not him.

Jean and Logan creeped me out, knowing their back story, considering the big differences in the actors' ages.

I liked Evan Peters and Tye Sheridan quite a bit, though Evan Peters is beginning to look older than a teenager.

Lots of good English actors doing American accents.

I wonder what it was like for Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult to work together.

(edited)
On 2015-08-03 at 6:43 PM, Dandesun said:

Young Jean and the ethics of telepathy was, I thought, an interesting take.

What I continually dislike is this whole thing with the Phoenix and how "Jean never had a chance" or something. The Phoenix wasn't all bad, people seem to forget that... things WENT bad thanks to the machinations of Mastermind and... oh, who was it now? Oh yes... EMMA FROST. Rachel was the Phoenix for years and didn't go nuts. Jean took on the name and didn't go nuts and manifested the raptor and all of that. It's not the end of the world for her... it's part of her. I get annoyed that Marvel editorial has just decided that the Phoenix sucks and keeps trying to get rid of it.

THIS. I really hate how Frost has been incorporated into the X-Men. Don't even get me started on how the White Queen became part of the Phoenix. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. Let alone Frost's affair with Scott. Because NO. Uh, Emma Frost is cruel, self-seeking, and, oh, what's the word? Oh, yes: evil. (And if we're going by the First Class movie version, she's evil and stupid. (January Jones is awful.))

Edited by Sandman
Getting more off my chest.
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I liked Evan Peters and Tye Sheridan quite a bit, though Evan Peters is beginning to look older than a teenager.

It's set 10 years after Days of Future Past, so it'd be weird if he did. I think he's just supposed to be an aimless slacker still living with his mom in his late 20s.

• Love 1

Before I went to see Apocalypse last night, I rewatched Days of Future Past on demand, and um...I think they're airing the director's cut? It's not the same as the one I saw in the theatre--for example, I don't recall seeing Kitty changing into Rogue toward the end, and it's Rogue who is trying to keep Logan stable.  I remember when I saw it in the theatre, that the only time we saw Rogue was at the end, after the past had been changed; Scott was alive, so was Jean.  And I don't remember any mid-credit scene; just a post credit--which was the sneak peek into Apocalypse. The first scene showed Trask in jail. Or rather, what looked like the same type of cell Magneto had been held in. Did those really happen or what? Because I always stick around until the end of the credits. Always have.

The other thing that had me scratching my head was that at the end, it was clear it was Mystique as Stryker, taking Logan away, after they pulled him out of the water. What did she do? Hand him over to the real Stryker? Because we know that part didn't change. Yet, in Apocalypse, when Stryker shows up...right before he shoots them all with that sonic boom or whatever, Mystique yells a warning to the students. So, what happened? Or am I supposed to fank wank it all?

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Before I went to see Apocalypse last night, I rewatched Days of Future Past on demand, and um...I think they're airing the director's cut?

Probably; I know Rogue's scenes didn't make the theatrical cut.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Before I went to see Apocalypse last night, I rewatched Days of Future Past on demand, and um...I think they're airing the director's cut? It's not the same as the one I saw in the theatre--for example, I don't recall seeing Kitty changing into Rogue toward the end, and it's Rogue who is trying to keep Logan stable.  I remember when I saw it in the theatre, that the only time we saw Rogue was at the end, after the past had been changed; Scott was alive, so was Jean.  And I don't remember any mid-credit scene; just a post credit--which was the sneak peek into Apocalypse. The first scene showed Trask in jail. Or rather, what looked like the same type of cell Magneto had been held in. Did those really happen or what? Because I always stick around until the end of the credits. Always have.

The other thing that had me scratching my head was that at the end, it was clear it was Mystique as Stryker, taking Logan away, after they pulled him out of the water. What did she do? Hand him over to the real Stryker? Because we know that part didn't change. Yet, in Apocalypse, when Stryker shows up...right before he shoots them all with that sonic boom or whatever, Mystique yells a warning to the students. So, what happened? Or am I supposed to fank wank it all?

Definitely the Rogue Cut that you saw.

The Stryker/Mystique/Logan thing is something I didn't understand at all and made absolutely no sense to me.  Mystique takes the place of Stryker at the end of the movie and uses his men to retrieve Logan.  Then 10 years later, Mystique is traveling around the world helping mutants while Stryker is now the one in possession of Logan.  And it's not a retcon because Mystique and Stryker clearly recognize one another.  But it's never acknowledged just what the hell happened between Stryker and Mystique.  If Mystique is all about helping mutants, why did she allow Logan to fall into Stryker's hand.  The whole thing doesn't make sense.

• Love 2
(edited)

Singer's inability to develop the great female X-Men characters is definitely one of his biggest weaknesses.  Storm is a all-time great.  If Marvel were producing the X-Men movies, I truly believe audiences would be demanding a Storm movie the way they are for the Black Widow now.  Kitty is an extremely popular character.  You also have Rogue, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Psylocke, etc. and the only character he can somewhat develop is Mystique, who is nothing like her comic book counterpart (she is a villain who is an anti-hero at BEST).  Sadly, he's made the female X-Men disposable and that is a damning assessment of his work in this franchise.

He definitely wrote a better final battle but he's been lousy on action sequences for the most part.  As good as Days of Future Past was, there was a LONG stretch without any action and the DC battle was pathetic.

Also, can we have one X-Men movie that isn't about the Xavier/Magneto issue for a change?  The X-Men comics proved a very long time ago that they didn't need Magneto as the enemy in every single issue.  The two most famous (and arguably greatest) X-Men stories are The Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past.  Magneto does not appear in the former at all and is barely involved in the latter.  McKellen and Fassbender have done great work as Magneto but I wish Singer would stop revolving every movie conflict around Xavier and Magneto.  Been there, done that.

I'd love to see them do something bold with the X-universe and made do something in space, where a lot of my favorite X-Men stories took place.  A real Dark Phoenix story and The Shi'ar Empire.  But I'm pretty sure Singer doesn't know how to handle the space elements at all.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
(edited)

Just saw it this week. Enjoyed it. I don't think it was a good movie, much less a good 7th entry in this franchise but I was entertained and knew to pace myself for the stupidly long running time.

On to your comments!

But the choice to have Mystique and Beast appear as Jennifer Laurence and Nicholas Hoult for most of the movie seemed like a cop out. 

Yup. The job is to dress as the characters. Don't want to wear the makeup? Don't take the job. It undermines both characters to be constantly appearing as human.

There's Kurt acting like a normal teenager all blue and be-tailed and for maybe the first time in the movies, the general public isn't acting hostile towards a very visible mutant.

That really confused me. I get that in this new revamp, the public knows about Magneto and Mystique, but how does that make them unafraid of someone like Kurt? The crux of this franchise is that mutants are feared. So...????

And I'm totally probably alone on an island, but I rolled my eyes over the Wolverine appearance.

We are companions, then. His appearance was pointless and that tech all over him looked stupid (yes, I know it was an homage to comic art, but it looked nothing like the stuff all over him in three other movies).

Not sure why more are available for the 3D show times. 

I could only see it in 3D. The theatre manager said the studio decided that would be the only way it would be screened after the opening weeks.

The sheer FUCKERY that Hank, Charles, the rest of the mutant kids/teens look at Mystique as some fucking hero just frosts my cookies. That SHE is part of the X-Men and is now in charge of training them. UGH. There are not enough curse words to emphasize my rage over this.

Wouldn't frosting your cookies be a good thing? In any case, yes. Mystique has no place leading the team. I know that and I don't even read the darn books. I guess whichever actor is "hot" gets top billing even in the plot.

That the third movie always sucks line is equal parts next level childish and very funny coming fron the person that made this bland rehash of a movie. I'm also tired of Singer bitching about Last Stand because he chose to leave. It's not like he was muscled out. I get hating seeing something you worked hard take such a serious detour but he had the power to make sure that didn't happen and he left to make a shifty superman movie. Get over it man. You made a whole movie almost solely to erase Last Stand from canon. We get it. It's over.

Thing is, X3 continued plotlines from the previous films and kept the tone consistent. Singer can kvetch all he wants about it getting messed up...but he never proved HE can do a better Phoenix storyline, did he. This? This was Jean freaking out once. Pretty easy to tease something. Make good on it, and then you have earned the right to mock those who failed (not that I think Ratner failed). And now, he's changed the tone of this world radically to include Gods and colorful costumes...so having a "cosmic firebird entity" possess Jean ain't as tricky as it would have been in the original and more grounded trilogy.

PLUS! HE was the one who snatched James Marsden away from X3. How were they supposed to do the story fans wanted to see if Scott couldn't be present for more than two days of shooting?! He sabotaged their chances by bringing Marsden to SR after doing almost nothing with Cyclops in the first two films.

Here, Scott was slightly more interesting...but not by much.

Singer's inability to develop the great female X-Men characters is definitely one of his biggest weaknesses.  Storm is a all-time great.  If Marvel were producing the X-Men movies, I truly believe audiences would be demanding a Storm movie the way they are for the Black Widow now.  Kitty is an extremely popular character.  You also have Rogue, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Psylocke, etc. and the only character he can somewhat develop is Mystique, who is nothing like her comic book counterpart (she is a villain who is an anti-hero at BEST).  Sadly, he's made the female X-Men disposable and that is a damning assessment of his work in this franchise.

Rogue was great in X1, and Jean had good groundwork set up by Singer but Storm has been royally shafted. This? Was slightly better, but not by much.

I will say I liked Apocalypse just fine and thought he was fun, if inconsistent. Why did he need Four Horsemen anyway? And why did he bother to tailor outfits for them and style their hair and give them tats?

Question: why did they skip over Mystique being Kurt's mother when they featured his father in First Class?! That seemed like an obvious plot point to explore...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

Gasp! You can't mean you want them to imply Jennifer Lawrence's character is old enough to have a teenage son? It might interfere with her all-important hawtness. Even though she's playing a character who's supposed to be Charles' and Eric's contemporary, who was an adult 20 years ago in the first movie.

Mystique ages slower than most, they said that in First Class and it was implied she'd been with Magneto for awhile still looking like a 30 year old while he aged. Her having a teenage son wouldn't have changed that. 

I personally didn't feel that Mystique took over this movie, if anything it felt more like Magneto's movie. He got the long flashback to his family, then lost that family, went on a revenge spree, joined Apocalypse, tried to destroy the world, changed his mind  and left at the end again. 

• Love 1

Question: why did they skip over Mystique being Kurt's mother when they featured his father in First Class?! That seemed like an obvious plot point to explore...

I can't believe they didn't hint at this in this movie.

Mystique was the only one it made sense that she didn't look older.  She ages slower in the comics and her powers would always make her look as young as she wants.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, benteen said:

I can't believe they didn't hint at (Mystique being Nightcrawler's mother) this in this movie.

Mystique was the only one it made sense that she didn't look older.  She ages slower in the comics and her powers would always make her look as young as she wants.

My guess is beyond worrying about an ick factor of it looking like a kid having kids like they once worried about costumes when the first X-Men hit the screen, is that they expect Jennifer Lawrence to be gone even though they have now set up the Raven/Mystique character as the Captain America of the X-mutant universe.

(edited)

She really hasn't. I always felt she was benefitting from RR's understated work in the originals and Singer's emphasis on the character more than making her shine in some new way. I don't even think she looks good in the make-up.

On 17/06/2016 at 4:14 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Gasp! You can't mean you want them to imply Jennifer Lawrence's character is old enough to have a teenage son? It might interfere with her all-important hawtness. Even though she's playing a character who's supposed to be Charles' and Eric's contemporary, who was an adult 20 years ago in the first movie.

Thank you! You nailed it. And again - WTH was the point of introducing Kurt's father like that if they were AGAIN going to act as though he and Raven were just random mutants...? That frustrates the heck out of me. These movies are crowded enough as it is...they should be judicious about which characters they opt to include.

I didn't really feel the Scott/Jean chemistry here either. The actress they cast as Jean was odd. She seemed to have a large head, to me anyway, and I got the sense anyone else could have played the part as well as she did.

Why did the two studios insist on giving us different takes on Quicksilver? Is the Avengers version better? And if Magneto can't appear in the Avengers films, why bother developing his kids there?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Why did the two studios insist on giving us different takes on Quicksilver? Is the Avengers version better? And if Magneto can't appear in the Avengers films, why bother developing his kids there?

If I am able to follow the story correctly Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch first appeared in the Avengers comics making Marvel Studios the film rights holders but in the comic books, which as since been reconnected they are the children of Magneto making them the property of FOX for film rights. So in this case a gentleman's agreement between the studios was come to so in Age Of Ultron

Spoiler

Quicksilver was killed off while in Apocalypse a daughter of Magneto was killed off.

The general consensus that the X-Men Quicksilver was one of their best characters, or at least produces the most fun scenes of their two recent films makes him more important to them then just a speedster in the MCU where the implications of his power as seen by what The Flash does over on the DC TV show makes him too powerful for a minor character.

• Love 1

Sort of the other way around, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch started out as X-Men villains in Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants back in the 60s but quickly became associated with the Avengers and remained so for decades. The MCU version is actually closer to the comics version's personality, power level, and central defining relationship with his sister, but the Fox version has the familial ties with Magneto (which were canon as of the time Days of Future Past was released) and the much more spectacular SFX sequence with Flash-like powers.

• Love 2

Yeah, both Wanda and Pietro started out in the X-Books (as villains) but then moved over to the Avengers. The thing is, Wanda has been an Avenger pretty much consistently from that point on. She's never been part of the X-Men or any of the off-shoots. Pietro, however, was brought back into the X-fold in the 90s. He fluctuates between the two far more than Wanda ever did.

Plus, there's the tie with Magneto... so I see the X-franchise fighting more for Pietro than they would for Wanda based on that.

• Love 1

I don't think Quicksilver was ever a member of the X-Men (I stopped reading the X-Men for a while in the mid-to-late 90s) but he was a member of two different X-Factor teams.  But despite their introduction, Pietro and especially Wanda have been most closely associated with the Avengers.  I can't even remember a Wanda guest appearance in the X-Men comics after her initial appearances although I'm sure she has been there before.

7 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Yeah, both Wanda and Pietro started out in the X-Books (as villains) but then moved over to the Avengers. The thing is, Wanda has been an Avenger pretty much consistently from that point on. She's never been part of the X-Men or any of the off-shoots. Pietro, however, was brought back into the X-fold in the 90s. He fluctuates between the two far more than Wanda ever did.

Plus, there's the tie with Magneto... so I see the X-franchise fighting more for Pietro than they would for Wanda based on that.

I think...that there is a Wanda in the X-Verse in Fox. I watched Days of Future Past before Apocalyps, and there was a line (which I apparently missed the first three times I watched the former), about how Pietro was fighting with his sister, and it wasn't the adorable wee one who was sitting in his lap, while he watched Magneto destroy DC.

Not that I care, mind you. I doubt I'll watch any future X movies. I will see Jackman's last turn as Logan, though. I think there's one more Wolvrine movie, and then he's hanging up his claws.

Magneto had another daughter long before he had Lorna or Wanda.  She died much the same way she did in Age of Apocalypse.  It was that short story that Chris Claremont did that they adapted for Magneto's storyline.

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

It does seem odd that famed mutant supremacist Magneto didn't settle down with another mutant based on what we saw of his characterization in Days of Future Past.

But that's ripped straight from the comics. Yes, Magneto was shaped by the monsters who created him but he left that behind and tried to live a quiet life with a woman he had met and protected in Auschwitz and they had a daughter who perished in a fire that Magnus was prevented from doing anything about from others in the village they lived in. As a result, Magnus had a diva rage meltdown and killed everyone who had caused the problem and Magda was horrified and ran away thus giving Magnus lots of angst to brood over for decades to come. Also, Magda was pregnant with Pietro and Wanda at the time but it wasn't known at the time.

Basically, Magneto is a guy who will try to live a peaceful life from time to time but it usually gets fucked up in the worst way possible. I mean, you have to appreciate that this is a guy who gets so fed up with the shitstorm his life is (sometimes of his own doing; sometimes not) that he'll just give up and live in a volcano or on an asteroid to get the fuck away from everyone.

• Love 6
(edited)

Yeah, but in the comics that happened before he became a costumed supervillain/mutant rights crusader, and was a major factor in him deciding to do so. In the movies he must have gotten together with his apparently human wife about 15 years after he took over Shaw's band of evil mutants in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis and 5 years after he dropped a stadium around the White House.

Edited by Bruinsfan
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, but in the comics that happened before he became a costumed supervillain/mutant rights crusader, and was a major factor in him deciding to do so. In the movies he must have gotten together with his apparently human wife about 15 years after he took over Shaw's band of evil mutants in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis and 5 years after he dropped a stadium around the White House.

Ha! He's such a fucking drama queen with his stadium dropping and such...

But, yes, it's a different timeline in the movies. I just took it as 'Okay, Erik's trying something different due to the influence of Charles or whatever. But it's Erik who is an imminently tragic figure so, obvs, everything goes horribly, horribly wrong. Death and mayhem ensue.'

At the same time, I kind of sit there and hide a smile at Erik living this completely heteronormative life because his and Charles' love affair in the X-movies is more obvious than Steve and Bucky in the Captain America movies (which is saying something.) First Class was a full on love story for Erik and Charles. But, again, the whole thing with Erik trying to be 'normal' is a strong nod to the comics so I get it.

It directly contributing to his becoming a Horseman not so much but they're not going to do what they do in other media and just have a bunch of nobodies be Poccy's team of losers. Hell, there's a reason that Apocalypse's riders in the comics started to be directly pulled from the ranks of the X-men. Well, I guess Angel was always a part of that... but the rest of the horsemen were always 'who?' for a long time.

• Love 1

I know you've seen most of this before.  But watch this ENTIRE Japanese Trailer for X-Men Apocalypse for a surprise ending.  Oh, wait. You can see the still photo they cue this whole video up with. So... not so much a surprise.  But watch it!

• Love 1

The title: Ehhhh. It's like calling the next Batman movie "Bruce". Not a fan.

The poster: Nice idea (even though I have no idea who the other hand is), but is that supposed to be a child's hand? Because I'm pretty sure it's NOT a child's hand that they used. (They're not just smaller versions of adults'; different proportions) And if a small child was to actually hold a large, adult male's hand like they show, it would NOT look like that (with the fingertip poking out that way). I know these things are pieced together in Photoshop, but it doesn't even look like that smaller hand is holding the other.

[Sorry, I went to art school to learn to make those things; these are things that I notice.  :) ]

So Logan basically adopts a little girl and goes on a road trip with Professor X?  That might have been a fun plot, but man, that movie looks grim (or maybe it's just the Johnny Cash song).  I thought the reset in Days of Future Past would improve things...

Not sure how I feel about the title just being "Logan."

• Love 1

That trailer looks really cool. I like the use of old man Xavier and the western feel. And say whay you will about the way Fox has treated the X-men franchise but Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman are some of the best casting choices in all comic book movies.

• Love 2