Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men Franchise

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

On 12/8/2017 at 10:13 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Is it just because they managed to snag like the biggest actress in the world that they keep pushing Mystique. 

Pretty much. Breakout stars will be pushed by the Studio. Same thing happened with Jackman taking over the X-Men movies.  Although, comics aren't much better with Wolverine appearing in every title (hyperbole?).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I would like Jennifer Lawrence to GTFO of the X-Men franchise at least as much as she would. Mystique hasn't been worth watching since Rebecca Romijn played her.

But Rebecca Romijn would be perfect actor and character to make a cameo appearance on The Gifted.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, benteen said:

Now THAT movie makes sense.  Though like most of the X-Men characters, Kitty works better in the group.

I guess if the deal goes through it could be in place ready to be taken over  and integrated into the MCU as with Ant-Man

22 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Kitty would be the perfect character through which Marvel could reboot the X-Men for the MCU. Tell the story of her recruitment and joining the team as the kid sister, and we can meet the other X-characters through her.

YES!  Kitty is the X-Men character to build the franchise around, not Mystique.  She is a true X-Men.

• Love 2
On 1/10/2018 at 2:16 PM, benteen said:

Now THAT movie makes sense.  Though like most of the X-Men characters, Kitty works better in the group.

Given how much I hate Kitty Pryde this does nothing to bring me back to X-Men. 

I'm just waiting for the MCU reboot.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

FOX has changed the release dates of Deadpool 2, New Mutants and Gambit, a movie which is reaching mythical proportions at this point, especially with Gore Verbinski dropping out of the director's chair.

Good news first, Untitled Deadpool Sequel has been bumped up by two weeks and will now land in theaters on May 18, 2018 instead of June 1. 

Josh Boone‘s horror-tinged take on The New Mutants is getting a major bump back on the schedule and will now land in theaters 10 months later than originally scheduled. The film moves from April 13, 2018 to February 22, 2019.

I wonder if this is at all related to the FOX/Disney merger. I hope so, maybe they'll scrap New Mutants entirely.

4 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

FOX has changed the release dates of Deadpool 2, New Mutants and Gambit, a movie which is reaching mythical proportions at this point, especially with Gore Verbinski dropping out of the director's chair.

I wonder if this is at all related to the FOX/Disney merger. I hope so, maybe they'll scrap New Mutants entirely.

I think New Mutants push back has more to do with the movie not being good (guessing).

On the other hand they're pulling Deadpool in closer to Avengers Infinity War's May 4th and the Han Solo Movie, tells me they're looking to be a BO spoiler. 

One of the things I've always found strange is that in First Class that upon seeing people/creatures with fantastical powers, the soldiers don't automatically assume they are dealing with gods or aliens. Watson and Crick discovered DNA in 1953. They received the Nobel Prize in 1962. DNA and mutation was not a well known idea at the time. 1962 is the same year that First Class is set. It just seems like a soldier in 1962 upon seeing a person with fantastical powers would be just as likely to think that a person a god as much as a monster. I can equally see a soldier just avoiding this nonsense altogether.

• Love 4

Weren't atomic mutants a fairly prevalent trope in sci-fi movies of the 1950s? I'm sure the average person didn't have a clear idea of the actual mechanisms of genetic mutation in 1962, but odds are soldiers would have seen movies where the atomic bomb or something similar warped people and animals in monstrous fashion.

• Love 2

Fans will have to wait a lot longer to see Fox’s next movies based on the X-Men franchise as the studio announced Monday that Simon Kinberg’s “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” would move from November 2, 2018 to February 14, 2019.

As a result, the horror-driven X-Men spinoff “The New Mutants” is also moving, from February 22, 2019 to August 2, 2019.

I wonder if New Mutants will turn into one of those movies that never sees the light of day. It's now been pushed back a year and a half in total.

And I still can't help but think this is tied into the Disney/FOX merger. You just know a large part of FOX's end of year was centered around Dark Phoenix, no way would they arbitrarily move the release date.

Edited by JessePinkman

Yeah, two delays for The New Mutants can't be a good sign.  I'm not too bothered by it though.  I've wanted to see a New Mutants movie for a long time but everything I've seen and heard about it has not impressed me.

Disappointed by the Dark Phoenix delay though.  Still, Fox has had great success with both Deadpool and Logan in February.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I wonder if New Mutants will turn into one of those movies that never sees the light of day. It's now been pushed back a year and a half in total.

And I still can't help but think this is tied into the Disney/FOX merger. You just know a large part of FOX's end of year was centered around Dark Phoenix, no way would they arbitrarily move the release date.

The rumors I saw a while back pretty much said that if the Disney deal goes through then Dark Phoenix is most likely never going to be released.  What I heard was Disney felt that the movie would not work with what they wanted to do with the franchise.  Plus if they wanted a fresh start this movie would have been a bad idea.  It'd be too soon/fresh for another reboot, if it did poorly it might take down the franchise (especially after Apocalypse) and there was rumor that Disney was interested in doing their own version of Phoenix saga if they get the rights.  

Since the deal is happening this year (there might be government opposition but it seems very unlikely, especially since Fox is one of the parties) it seems the most likely reason for the push back is that the movie is going to get canned.

New Mutants is a bit more surprising since it's such a different take on the property.  But then again I had heard that the movie had issues so maybe that's why.

On 27/03/2018 at 7:31 PM, Matt K said:

The rumors I saw a while back pretty much said that if the Disney deal goes through then Dark Phoenix is most likely never going to be released.  What I heard was Disney felt that the movie would not work with what they wanted to do with the franchise.  Plus if they wanted a fresh start this movie would have been a bad idea.  It'd be too soon/fresh for another reboot, if it did poorly it might take down the franchise (especially after Apocalypse) and there was rumor that Disney was interested in doing their own version of Phoenix saga if they get the rights.  

I hope this is true. Because a full reboot of the X-Men would fit perfectly into Marvel's cinematic universe.

They can explain it as mutants emerging as a new sub-species of human, and use established characters like Tony Stark and Nick Fury to transition to this new generation of characters. They could finally do a proper X-Men origins movie, with the original five members (though perhaps add Storm and Psylocke to address the fact that four of the five characters are white dudes).

They could give me the X-Factor Investigations Netflix series that I want so badly.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I hope this is true. Because a full reboot of the X-Men would fit perfectly into Marvel's cinematic universe.

They can explain it as mutants emerging as a new sub-species of human, and use established characters like Tony Stark and Nick Fury to transition to this new generation of characters. They could finally do a proper X-Men origins movie, with the original five members (though perhaps add Storm and Psylocke to address the fact that four of the five characters are white dudes).

They could give me the X-Factor Investigations Netflix series that I want so badly.

This is why I was kind of annoyed by Civil War's refusal to even mention tv side of things (Netflix and Agents of SHIELD) even in passing because the tv side has established that people are popping up with powers acquired in all kinds of ways.  They could have slotted mutants right in that way.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if we need a Dark Phoenix topic or what but here's the first official poster and a synopsis. The first trailer drops tonight.

dark-phoenix-poster-1135764.jpeg

“In Dark Phoenix, the X-Men face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling our of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite - not only to save Jean's soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.”

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joe said:

We can't just have one movie with Jean as badarse. In the comics, she was Phoenix for a while before going fully over. But now, everyone wants to jump to the end of the story.

I blame the 90s cartoon, which never knew what to do with Jean. She had a bad case of the Counselor Trois (a really useless telepath and telekinetic who seemed to have Victorian Swooning Syndrome), was too boring to legitimately be attractive to either Scott or Wolverine (had this cartoon been done now, there would tons of social media speculation about how Scott and Logan would rather be hate-fucking each other), and only became interesting and powerful when they needed her to level up and become the big bad Dark Phoenix.

I loved the 90s cartoon, but I never felt like they really did right by a number of characters.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I blame the 90s cartoon, which never knew what to do with Jean. She had a bad case of the Counselor Trois (a really useless telepath and telekinetic who seemed to have Victorian Swooning Syndrome), was too boring to legitimately be attractive to either Scott or Wolverine (had this cartoon been done now, there would tons of social media speculation about how Scott and Logan would rather be hate-fucking each other), and only became interesting and powerful when they needed her to level up and become the big bad Dark Phoenix.

I loved the 90s cartoon, but I never felt like they really did right by a number of characters.

Yeah. It's been a long time since I saw the first two X-Movies, but I don't remember her doing anything especially cool there either, apart from the end of X2.

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yeah. It's been a long time since I saw the first two X-Movies, but I don't remember her doing anything especially cool there either, apart from the end of X2.

They literally introduce her as Dr. Jean Grey and just stand her in between her high school boyfriend and a hot antisocial amnesiac weirdo prone to violent rages as the two guys proceed to have a multi-film dick measuring contest. Even worse is when Senator Kellyfish shows up on the X Mansion doorsteps, Professor X just reads Senator Kellyfish's mind and expositions away all of the science. It's great that Jean got that MD or PhD because it sure came in handy of those times like...and ummmm....there was also that time. Oh wait, it never came in handy and Jean never did anything interesting until she decided to start incinerating people with her mind. She was so poorly used in those films, but it's better than Rogue and Storm.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I was reading the X Titles in the 90s, Jean wasn't much better than the cartoon, IMO but, I'm one of the crazy few who dislike Jean and Kitty.

All the X-Women are ill-served in the films.

Rogue went from being a main character in the first two films, to disappearing for over two thirds of The Last Stand so Bobby could flirt with pre Juno-Kitty.

• Love 9

Poor Jean, no one ever seems to know what to do with her. She always ends up being a useless side character, a plot device, or the underdeveloped love interest for the male characters. Maybe its because they haven't ever given her a code name that sticks? Or maybe because most adaptations (and even some comics) dont give her much of a personality beyond "smart, and blandly nice" and pretty. But she is such a big part of the X Verse, they kind of have to include her.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Dee said:

Rogue went from being a main character in the first two films, to disappearing for over two thirds of The Last Stand so Bobby could flirt with pre Juno-Kitty.

I listened to an interview with one of the writers. Kinberg, I think. He said they could only get Anna Paquin for a couple of days. Why they couldn't have her for longer, I don't know.

9 hours ago, Dee said:

Agreed.  One of the great strengths of the X-Men is the female heroes and Hollywood has managed to squander each and every one of them.  Even Mystique is misrepresented.  She's no hero.  She's a stone-cold killer who is an anti-hero at best.

• Love 9

I don’t know. Compared to the live version, I thought ‘90s toon Jean Grey was badass. There was no AMBIVALENCE as to who she loved and chose. Sure, maybe once her powers “wiped her out” but she wasn’t a whiny wet mop who was afraid of her powers. Maybe I should have posted this in the Unpopular Opinion Thread instead? 

• Love 5

Truthfully, it's a shame Dark Phoenix can't be adapted as a high-budget Netflix TV show.  You could do one season where Jean is the hero with her powers and then you can see her fall to Dark Phoenix in the next season.  Involve the Shi'ar and the Hellfire Club.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Dee said:

I'll argue that Rogue started vanishing in the second movie, where she was delegated to "supporting cast" and the big star was Wolverine, when in the first movie the lead role was shared equally between them.

Magneto constantly telling Wolverine that "again you keep thinking it's all about you" is meta-level ironic.

• Love 4

I actually feel that most X-Men stories would be better served as high-budget Netflix shows. Thanks to Chris Claremont (and I don't mean that sarcastically), all the classic X-Men stories were so long-form--you only really get how wrenching the Dark Phoenix storyline is if you've been reading the comics for a while. And many of the major storylines were intricately linked to other long-running storylines. More than many other superhero franchises, X-Men would really, really benefit from the ability to do truly serialized storytelling, imo, and I don't count "one movie every few years" as true serialization. A TV show format also just works much better for a team/ensemble cast. One of the limitations the Fox X-movies have consistently run into is not having enough screentime to go around (not that they've always been wise about allocating it either). 13 hours as opposed to 2 gives you way more ability to feature everybody.

Given that Marvel seems finally to have woken up and realized that female-led superhero movies could (gasp) be a thing, it would be nice if the X-women could for once get their due on the big screen. It depends on whether Marvel will share Fox's inability to focus on anyone not named Wolverine, Professor X, or Magneto, I guess.

(I would LOVE if the X-movies featured Mystique/Destiny and use the original backstory of them as Nightcrawler's parents, but there's zero chance of that happening.)

• Love 5

Marvel really ought to commit to a live action X-Men Evolution reboot.

That was the high water mark, in terms of characterization, for nearly every Marvel character featured.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I actually feel that most X-Men stories would be better served as high-budget Netflix shows. Thanks to Chris Claremont (and I don't mean that sarcastically), all the classic X-Men stories were so long-form--you only really get how wrenching the Dark Phoenix storyline is if you've been reading the comics for a while. And many of the major storylines were intricately linked to other long-running storylines. More than many other superhero franchises, X-Men would really, really benefit from the ability to do truly serialized storytelling, imo, and I don't count "one movie every few years" as true serialization. A TV show format also just works much better for a team/ensemble cast. One of the limitations the Fox X-movies have consistently run into is not having enough screentime to go around (not that they've always been wise about allocating it either). 13 hours as opposed to 2 gives you way more ability to feature everybody.

Given that Marvel seems finally to have woken up and realized that female-led superhero movies could (gasp) be a thing, it would be nice if the X-women could for once get their due on the big screen. It depends on whether Marvel will share Fox's inability to focus on anyone not named Wolverine, Professor X, or Magneto, I guess.

(I would LOVE if the X-movies featured Mystique/Destiny and use the original backstory of them as Nightcrawler's parents, but there's zero chance of that happening.)

Adapting the Chris Claremont run, especially from Giant-Sized X-Men #1 to about Uncanny X-Men #143 would be so, so awesome.  A dream come true.  Claremont understood the slow-burn and the Phoenix storyline lasted several years.  There's also the lesser-known but still classic Proteus storyline is briefly introduced in one issue but doesn't officially start until 21 issues afterwards.  The X-Men storylines during this period in particular were epic and given a lot of time to breathe.  You can't force years worth of storytelling into a two-and-a-half hour film.  For various reasons, Marvel would never commit to this (the budget being one of them).

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Claremont run on Netflix or something? Yes. I mean... Inferno alone... I mean. INFERNO. I love that was the cross over that was supposed to end all cross overs and it did the exact opposite. It's the comic cross over version of WWI.

But then you could actually spend time with characters. They come, they go, they move onto other titles. They come back when demons take over Manhattan. There's just A LOT in X-men from Claremont's run. It's hard to take any of that and turn it into a two hour movie.

• Love 4

Not that I really care, bu does this mean that X-Men 3, The Last Stand is not "movie canon"?  Since they kinda-sorta-not-really already did the Dark Phoenix story in that movie?

Sophie Turner is cool though, so I don't mind.  I just looked up her age, I can't believe she's only 22.  Seems like she's been around forever.

I kind of like the X-Men on Netflix idea.

So now we're going to have another Fox X-Men movie.  Wow, that Disney deal is really taking a long time to get together, I hope it doesn't fall through.  I hope we don't have to suffer another Fox Fantastic Four movie.  I don't know if I can stomach another bad FF movie.

13 hours ago, rmontro said:

Not that I really care, bu does this mean that X-Men 3, The Last Stand is not "movie canon"?  Since they kinda-sorta-not-really already did the Dark Phoenix story in that movie?

Yes, kind of. Days of Future Past was sort of about wiping The Last Stand out of canon. The final scene of Days of Future Past is Wolverine walking around the X Mansion, Charles is alive, as is Beast, Storm, Scott, and Jean.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Yes, kind of. Days of Future Past was sort of about wiping The Last Stand out of canon. The final scene of Days of Future Past is Wolverine walking around the X Mansion, Charles is alive, as is Beast, Storm, Scott, and Jean.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that.

Which is part of the problem. They went out of their way to make Last Stand completely irrelevant... and the same guy is writing it (and directing it this time?!) and it's just... DUDE! Dead in the water! You got it wrong then and I have little hope for you getting it right now!

• Love 2