Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Comparing the main counterparts I suppose: 

Stephen > Grant (but Stephen has also been playing Oliver longer AND he has more experience)

Blackthorne=Martin=Cavanaugh 

Ramsey=Cavanaugh (as the mentors of the group I suppose)

EBR > Panabaker + Ramon + Patton (as love interest) 

KC < Patton 

CH < Panabaker + Ramon

That doesn't even bring in Willa Holland who is a strong actress (stronger than Panabaker, Ramon, Patton) and John Barrowman who's just awesome. 

I think Grant is a lot better than Stephen when he first started. Stephen's wooden acting in the 1st half of season 1 really put me off the show at first. Won't bother arguing about the other one's though lol since it's subjective.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

Comparing the main counterparts I suppose: 

KC < Patton 

CH < Panabaker + Ramon

That doesn't even bring in Willa Holland who is a strong actress (stronger than Panabaker, Ramon, Patton) and John Barrowman who's just awesome. 

Panabaker has had a lot of experience (I remember a few years ago on the General Hospital thread at TWoP where one person would argue to bring her on to play the role of Lulu) but I don't think she's really had the opportunity to show what she can do on The Flash yet.  That she is playing a character who came on bitchy and  yet people don't hate her says something.  I thought Cisco was pretty wooden but he was good when called on to stretch in the latest episode.

EBR took the role of Felicity and ran with it but there are times when I think she's not quite up to what certain scenes call for her to do.  She's smart and she wanted to create a memorable character in the two scenes that she was hired to do.  It was luck that she clicked with SA and that the audience was looking for an alternative love interest to Laurel.

I'd never seen Willa Holland in anything before Arrow but I wasn't impressed the first two seasons.  I didn't hate her, but didn't love her either.  I think a lot of it is what the actors are called up to do, and whether it's in their particular skill set.

With Colton Haynes, I think they finally figured out how to write for him this season and he's miles better than the previous two.  Writing for a character seems to me like making clothes.  You have the person you're making it for (the actor) and the cloth (the overall story you want to tell) but what the outfit looks like in the end should be a combination of the two, like two different people could have outfits made out of the same cloth but the outfits are different because they are made to match the individual person.  I wish they would do that for KC, take her acting style + a Black Canary origin story and make something that suits her specifically rather than trying to have her fit the story they want to tell.

(Should we be having this discussion on the Behind the Scenes thread?)

Edited by statsgirl

I think Grant is a lot better than Stephen when he first started. Stephen's wooden acting in the 1st half of season 1 really put me off the show at first. Won't bother arguing about the other one's though lol since it's subjective.

I think Stephen's acting was 'wooden' because he was playing a man with PTSD. That's how I thought of it. It wasn't as though his acting was wooden, it was as though he was portraying Oliver to be wooden and closed off. 

But yeah. I wasn't trying to say everyone else was wrong :p That was just my opinion. 

• Love 6

In all honesty though, i feel that it is too soon to be compering anyone. flash is barely 4 episodes in, arrow is in its third season, the actors already have a pretty strong handle on who their characters are, the flash cast are still working on it.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 5

I think arrow had so many strong actors and characters(Moira, Barrowman, and Quentin, Thea, felicity Diggle and I truly like Oliver even if he's not always perfect- even the side characters have often been great like shado Sarah slade before they made his character crazy) that weak ones like Roy (who I think has really finally gotten better this season) and even Waller are not as big of a problem. Laurel is just such a big character that her weakness do bring the show down at times although I thought she was at her strongest with tommy and her dad so some of this is the fault of the writers not sticking to her strengths.

And although Amell gets some criticism, I think his difficulty level was much higher than the Barry Allen character. He has to play Oliver and multiple stages of development and PTSD. Gudrun mostly is doing happy go lucky and he's fine. The only standouts for me on that show are cavenaugh and copdad2.0. I do like Caitlin too. The thing about that show is that I don't hate anyone and mine of them drag the show down. They just haven't elevated it either.

• Love 4

BREAKING NEWS: Posters go egregiously off topic yet again!  Moderator gnashes teeth and considers hiring Hulk to Smash things.

The last page of comments seem to be an in depth discussion about the pros/cons of both Arrow and the Flash and not about Press releases or articles- which is what this thread is for.

Please edit your posts

• Love 1

Christina Radish from Collider will be interviewing Emily today. And is asking for questions.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaRadish/status/529503067431895040

I'd love it if a couple of the questions were something like, 'how do you feel about Felicity being used to prop up whichever guest star the producers want to push on the audience?' and 'do you think it's odd that Felicity is allowed to have numerous love interests but no actual friends?' But I'm sure she'd give appropriately diplomatic answers.

• Love 4

It was No. 2 in the Daily Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings that night, though. The thing with those ratings is that the ranking doesn't matter that much because it really depends on what other shows are on that night. The more significant numbers are probably the impressions and unique audience; those tell you how many are tweeting and how many are seeing the tweets. Arrow's Twitter numbers have almost been halved since the premiere, with impressions of almost 3,700 for "The Calm" and 1,200 for "The Magician."

Took the numbers here.

ETA: The numbers actually haven't just been halved. They're a third now of what they were during the premiere.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 2

Stephen > Grant (but Stephen has also been playing Oliver longer AND he has more experience)

Blackthorne=Martin=Cavanaugh

Ramsey=Cavanaugh (as the mentors of the group I suppose)

KC < Patton

CH < Panabaker + Ramon

I want to play (to the Superheroes thread!)

It was No. 2 in the Daily Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings that night, though. The thing with those ratings is that the ranking doesn't matter that much because it really depends on what other shows are on that night. The more significant numbers are probably the impressions and unique audience; those tell you how many are tweeting and how many are seeing the tweets. Arrow's Twitter numbers have almost been halved since the premiere, with impressions of almost 3,700 for "The Calm" and 1,200 for "The Magician."

Took the numbers here.

ITA I had included that in my first post on the twitter rankings up thread and just didn't want to keep repeating myself by mentioning it again, I should have though for clarity. Thank you for adding it.

I'd love it if a couple of the questions were something like, 'how do you feel about Felicity being used to prop up whichever guest star the producers want to push on the audience?' and 'do you think it's odd that Felicity is allowed to have numerous love interests but no actual friends?' But I'm sure she'd give appropriately diplomatic answers.

To the first, I think she's say she's happy that people like Felicity so much because she does herself (she's said Felicity is like her best friend) and it's really great to be able to have her character interact with so many others and to be going over to the sister show.

She does good interviews.

• Love 1

Warning: spoilers.

Can I just say how much I'm loving all of Emily's interviews today? Even though the writers are just now letting her learn more about Felicity, she has such a strong grasp of who Felicity is, who she wants her to be, and how she interacts with the other characters. For me, that's always been obvious in the way she plays Felicity, but I love seeing her articulate it.

• Love 8

Damn, Caity Lotz and Maggie Q on the same show? Can they cancel Stalker and start over on something else with those two?

If they would just make it about actually stalking instead of a generic cop show I would be more interested (and maybe kill off Dylan). But yeah, I'll totally stay up for that.

Now I'm picturing an alternate universe in which there is a Birds of Prey series with CL as BC and Maggie Q as Huntress, and any number of awesome unemployed actresses as Oracle.

Damn that would have been awesome. Edited by Shanna

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm not on any social media so I'm not sure how this works.  This is sort of a general facebook question regarding the photos that were posted this week on the CW Arrow's facebook page.  If a photo gets 20,000 likes, where does that number come from?  Is it based on the comments people make on the photo?  For example, if somebody posts a not-so-nice comment and 200 people "like" that comment, does that count in the 20,000?  Basically I'm asking if a photo can have a lot of likes because a lot of people hate it.  Does that make sense?

More praise for EBR...

It was another strong installment of The CW superhero series that was a perfect showcase for the incredibly talented Emily Bett Rickards, who nailed every single scene, both comedic and dramatic, that she was given.

Is

Really Sara’s Killer on Arrow?
By Chris King on Nov 6, 2014
http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/spoiler-really-saras-killer-arrow-244084
One thing last week’s Arrow episode drove home is how much emptier Starling City is without Felicity Smoak.

ARROW: "THE SECRET ORIGIN OF FELICITY SMOAK" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEDEEN NOVEMBER 5, 2014 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/06/arrow-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak-review

Also, Felicity Smoak is picked as one of...
The Five Most Crushworthy Women on TV From Arrow to SHIELD
By Paul on Nov 5, 2014
http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/five-crushworthy-women-tv-arrow-shield-244005

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Ratings:

@insidethetube   
#Arrow drew its most watched episode since the premiere with 2.62 million viewers. (Go Felicity!) lSteady in 18-49 with a 1.0.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 11

I love that the CW press release name checked Felicity in it. I think it is important for the bigwigs to know that Felicity's episode did so well in ratings. Hopefully, that encourages writers to give Felicity more screen time in upcoming episodes.

• Love 5

I'm also really liking the audience response to the episode. Its one thing to get good ratings and its another to get positive reactions to the episode. From what I've seen/read, its been generally favorable.

I'm also really liking the audience response to the episode. Its one thing to get good ratings and its another to get positive reactions to the episode. From what I've seen/read, its been generally favorable.

Emily and Felicity got praise, the plot didn't really :p It was deemed predictable and anticlimatic by a lot of people. But who the hell cares when this episode isn't meant to be plot heavy but more character heavy? :)

• Love 3

In the Arrow After show, they talked about the weak villain but he made a really good point: You can have a weak villain if you center the story around a strong character and thats what they did. 

• Love 5

I agree that the villain was weak but I didn't care because this episode gave us much needed character background and development for Felicity. Sometimes you need to sacrifice one thing for the benefit of another.

Arrow (2.62 mil/1.0) scored a best-since-premiere audience and hit nine-month highs in the 18-34 and Men 18-49 demos, but was flat in the A 18-49 demo.

I love that this very female-centric episode achieved a nine-month high in the male demo. 

• Love 8

Ratings:

@insidethetube   

#Arrow drew its most watched episode since the premiere with 2.62 million viewers. (Go Felicity!) lSteady in 18-49 with a 1.0.

ETA:

So obviously i'm an idiot. i didn't realize the rating i was looking at was the premiere episode and not last week episode.

i was looking at SmoaknArrow page and she has them backwards

S3E4: The Magician - 2.49/1.0

S3E3: Corto Maltese - 2.55/0.9

S3E2: Sara - 2.32/0.8

S3E1: The Calm - 2.83/1.0

I allow you all to slap me one on the head.

Edited by foreverevolving

Adjusted up in viewers and demo....sweet!

But i'm sad for The 100. :(

Although this is the only episode that's ok, has to go back down to 1.0 or 0.9 until 308.....what can I say, I'm an SPN fangirl ;-)

Edited by Morrigan2575