Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I honestly think KC's comments about Oliver and Laurel being soul mates are her opinion. Nothing in the narrative alludes to this, in fact it mostly shows pre-island Oliver was a selfish prat who cheated on Laurel repeatedly, and Laurel went along with it. None of that spells soul mates for life. Whereas we have multiple other cast members, EPs, CW tumblr, Facebook, critics, crew, Google and well...most everyone saying Oliver and Felicity are working their way to being together (hmm I should actually ask Google whom the OTP is on Arrow).

• Love 1

I honestly think KC's comments about Oliver and Laurel being soul mates are her opinion. Nothing in the narrative alludes to this, in fact it mostly shows pre-island Oliver was a selfish prat who cheated on Laurel repeatedly, and Laurel went along with it. None of that spells soul mates for life. Whereas we have multiple other cast members, EPs, CW tumblr, Facebook, critics, crew, Google and well...most everyone saying Oliver and Felicity are working their way to being together (hmm I should actually ask Google whom the OTP is on Arrow).

I agree. It is just her opinion. She seems to have grasped onto something that was probably mentioned to her in s1 and she's never letting it go. I think it just upsets/annoys people when she continues to sprout the same thing over and over, especially when they are showing something completely different on screen. Plus there's already trust issues with the EP's on this show so I do understand why everyone is worried. 

But having watched/read a few KC interviews (all new to me tbh, I don't usually read interviews) lately, I think it's obvious that she's really not great at interacting with the media and so she just falls back on old answers as default. The 'have you read the comics?' being the most obvious. I think people should just ignore what she has to say. 

Ahh poor Nolan Funk! Meany Emily punching him!

http://www.thetvjunkies.com/arrows-nolan-funk-emily-punched/

For Emily Bett Rickards, nothing says “Welcome to Arrow” like a punch to the face.

My hero!

“But she’s got to be one of the coolest girls I have ever met. She could handcuff me to a chair and leave me there for four hours and I probably would forgive her because she’s the sweetest.”

Somebody is smitten.

Edited by Velocity23

From the ET interview:

So what could finally bring Thea to leave her father, and abandon her new butt-kicking hobby? Honesty. As Amell explained, "Oliver comes to the realization that the only way to bring her home — when it was lies that drove her away — is to tell her the truth. How much truth he has to tell her is one of the crucial points of the episode."

I'm liking the sound of this actually.

This episode’s flashbacks will specifically focus on Thea and Malcolm and what happened in the months since we last saw them. John Barrowman teased a particularly big scene, saying, “All I’ll say to you is please just watch it because it’s one of those moments where your jaw will hit the floor. So please put a pillow down. It’s one of those moments where if I were in my house, I’d open the window and, ‘What are you listening to?’ ‘The nation’s jaw dropping. ‘That’s literally what it’s going to be like. It’s going to be exciting. Something is going to come at you as a shock and a surprise. That’s all I’ll say.”

That has to be in reference to the episode preview comic Marc Guggenheim tweeted yesterday.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

I got the latest issue of TV Guide today. Sara's death got a "Cheer." The writer understood why fans would be furious, but the death also "raised the emotional stakes for Team Arrow," and could result in Laurel "leathering up" as a new Canary. The piece was punctuated with a "Win!" Man, what I wouldn't give for a rolled-up newspaper and a TV Guide writer right about now.

• Love 7

Might take a ratings hit next week with Felicity apparently missing for most of the episode.

I doubt it that would affect it. she wasn't in the promos at all this week and it was fine. Also the promo for next week looks super awesome and intense. 

They already aired against World Series this week. So its a good sign that Arrow is up. But apparently there are some preemptions on the CW next Wednesday.

uggh there are preemptions? That might affect the ratings. 

• Love 1

Boo!  I'm actually quite bitter about the ratings increase.  I am absolutely hating the show's direction this season and I'm worried that the EPs will feel justified to continue on that path if it's not hurting them in the ratings.  Like I've said before, I'm not wishing for cancellation or anything like that, but I was hoping that the ratings would reflect that maybe people aren't happy with some of the decisions that are being made.  Maybe people are happy with the way things are going...I don't know but I guess it's still early days yet.   

• Love 1

I dont know the Diggle episodes always bring high male numbers. And this was promoted as Diggle/Thea/Merlyn episode.

That's true the Diggle episode S2 (206) scored as high as the Barry Allen episode, 1.2 in the demo.  I don't know what the 18-34M demo was but I'd wager it was pretty high.

Suicide Squad also notched up a tenth from The Promise, 0.8 compared to 0.7 and about 200K viewers.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I like this review from io9 on "Corto Maltese":

http://io9.com/arrow-comes-around-to-my-way-of-thinking-1649690255

Love the snark.

I do think Diggle-centric episodes get viewers - he may not be as Ship-Worthy as Felicity but he's a very universally liked character who the audience seems to connect easily with.  So I'd expect any episode that featured more, not less, of him to do well.

Plus you know the action factor will be upped when he's on more. And the snark.

That TV Guide stuff is bothersome but not surprising. Their Arrow spread in the Comic Con issue was very Laurel heavy, IMO.  I don't think it's all Natalie Abrams, either.

• Love 2

I basically quit reading TV Guide features a few years back when I realized that they never seemed to be watching the same show I was watching, regardless of what the show was. They praised the very things that frustrated me about shows, they focused on the characters I didn't like, I kept finding random inaccuracies (sometimes on crucial points) in the recaps I read, which often tended to turn out laughably biased... I don't know if it was just the shows I was watching, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 1

The promos were, but like KC was the face of the last episode DR was the face of this episode. I'm wondering who they are going to send on the interview circuit for the next episode. I'm hoping its John Barrowman and I would love if Katrina Law did some interviews.

A lot of review found this episode disappointing. I'm surprised I actually liked it. 

The promos were, but like KC was the face of the last episode DR was the face of this episode. I'm wondering who they are going to send on the interview circuit for the next episode. I'm hoping its John Barrowman and I would love if Katrina Law did some interviews.

but most normal people don't read interviews. They just see the promos. The majority of people wouldn't know this was supposed to be Diggle centric. 

Edited by ban1o

That's true, most people don't pay attention to interviews. But maybe the portion that does, toned in for this one and maybe didn't tone in for the last episode (which could easily be for a variety of reasons). 

• Love 2

A lot of review found this episode disappointing. I'm surprised I actually liked it. 

but most normal people don't read interviews. They just see the promos. The majority of people wouldn't know this was supposed to be Diggle centric. 

How do you know what most people do? The Arrow facebook page has over five million likes, the fanbase is likely to be overwhelmingly young, like most CW shows. Young people are very active online, by and large.  News and interviews are incredibly easy to stumble across, when you go online, with so many websites dedicated to TV and entertainment, never mind those site that specifically cater to people who like spoilers. I think that writing off "most people" as casual viewers who have no investment in the show other than that hour a week that it's on, is an incredibly old fashioned way of looking at modern fandom.

• Love 5

How do you know what most people do? The Arrow facebook page has over five million likes, the fanbase is likely to be overwhelmingly young, like most CW shows. Young people are very active online, by and large.  News and interviews are incredibly easy to stumble across, when you go online, with so many websites dedicated to TV and entertainment, never mind those site that specifically cater to people who like spoilers. I think that writing off "most people" as casual viewers who have no investment in the show other than that hour a week that it's on, is an incredibly old fashioned way of looking at modern fandom.

I don't know the majority of my friends who watch the show don't really follow spoiler or read comic and they just watch the show causally. I am pretty much the only one who follow spoilers. The online fandom is a small portion of viewers. The 5 million like include the international audience (which for Arrow i really big) And liking a Facebook page doesn't really mean you're invested in looking at interviews and spoilers for a show. . 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 2

That's true, most people don't pay attention to interviews. But maybe the portion that does, toned in for this one and maybe didn't tone in for the last episode (which could easily be for a variety of reasons). 

I think this is very possible.  Remember "The Promise"?  Guggenheim and SA touted that episode as one of their best episodes EVAH but then it ended up like tying for lowest rated episode of the series.  Watching the thirty second preview, there's no way you would have known that the episode was going to be mostly a flashback.  The flashbacks seemed to be unpopular based on what I read last season (just my opinion), so I could see the scenario where people knew that The Promise would be flashback heavy and didn't bother tuning in for the episode, which accounted for the low ratings.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I believe this has been said upthread but it bears repeating: It's really difficult to figure out what factors affect ratings. Especially for the CW, because it's a smaller network with fewer affiliates. Its shows can get pre-empted quite often (based on complaints I've seen on Twitter). Power outages can affect viewing numbers. Or even a big sports game in a big market can positively or negatively affect ratings. There's just not enough data. But it's fun speculating, I know ;)

• Love 4

There's this notion that Nielsen families don't go online. I agree, that most people don't spend time looking for spoilers, discussing the show on forums, etc. However, most people now-a-days have Facebook (hell my 90 yr grandma is on FB), and all you need to do is like a show page & all that info will turn up on your dash. There's no real way to tell who is and who isn't online, but in this era, I'd put my money on people at least being involved with Facebook. So while we can't rely on the internet promotion completely, we can't rule it out either.

• Love 1

I would say that the at least the portion of the viewers in the 18-34 demographic might at least know more about their favorite shows then your average casual viewer. I just dont think its coincidence that Diggle episodes get quite a jump in the male demos then other episodes.

I don't know the majority of my friends who watch the show don't really follow spoiler or read comic and they just watch the show causally. I am pretty much the only one who follow spoilers. The online fandom is a small portion of viewers. The 5 million like include the international audience (which for Arrow i really big) And liking a Facebook page doesn't really mean you're invested in looking at interviews and spoilers for a show. . 

ICAM, they have many studies that prove that the online fandom is a mere fraction of the people actually watching the show. Of all the people I know who loyally and/or sporadically watch Arrow I'm the only one I know of who reads up on it online frequently or posts on forums. A very large majority of the viewers simply watch the show once then get on with their lives then watch the show again the following week. 

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2
ICAM, they have many studies that prove that the online fandom is a mere fraction of the people actually watching the show.

I'm wondering exactly how they do these studies. Who do they pole? and how do they figure out that those people watch the show in the first place? I don't doubt that the online fandom is small, but I'm interested in how they figure out the size of the online fandom vs the casual viewer. Do they mail out questionnaires about what shows people watch? Pole them on the street? Exactly who are talking to?

It's just the difference between a gamer and someone who plays video games casually. Most people don't go on forums about their television shows, some people (like us) do but we're not the majority. Most people watch their shows either live or online or on their dvrs or pvrs or whatever and then go about their business. When I tell these people about forums and websites I've been on and such it's not as if they're unaware (although some are) they just don't have the interest. Like some viewers can't wait to go to Comicon some viewers would never go to Comicon but they still catch Arrow or The Flash or Gotham every week without fail and then some still wait weeks in between and marathon them when they have time to catch up.

I'd say we're definitely the anomaly here, not them, though I will say I wouldn't be surprised if the Diggle push helped the ratings as I (can only speak for myself here but) only started watching Arrow in season 2 after catching The Suicide Squad episode when I was in the gym and that was pure Diggle and almost no Ollie.

ETA I'm not adding the twitter fandom here as many people have twitter these days and live tweet shows (Scandal changed the game in that respect) even though it's not as popular here in Canada.

• Love 1