Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Great review, ITA!

Not really sure if this is the right thread to post this, but since The Flash is not airing next Tuesday, does this mean we'll have a week hiatus on Arrow,too? If not,  what would the timeline for the crossovers be?
I don't know if this is true, but if it is, I'm all for it! Moira FTW :)

Speaking only for The CW, the network generally airs 9 episodes of each show prior to the Mid-Winter Break.  Shows that air Mon-Tue will take a break now (11/4-11/5) and air a new episode the week of Thanksgiving (11/24-11/25).  Conversely the shows that air on Wed-Thurs will air live shows next week but be in rerun or off the week of Thanksgiving since no one will be home to watch anyway.

This is a general rule of thumb, things maybe different for TVD/Reign since they started their season a week early and The 100 and which started much later in October.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Last i checked Arrow is set to air the first 6 episodes then go on a break. So 3x05 and 3x06 are still scheduled to air in next two weeks. Only SPN/The Flash arent airing next week on CW, which i find a bit strange. Since tomorrow November sweeps start.

Yeah, next Tuesday is Election Day, so it looks like a lot of Tuesday shows are showing reruns or just being preempted for election results coverage. None of my normal Tuesday shows are airing next week. CBS is doing reruns, and Agents of SHIELD and Forever are being preempted for election coverage and some sort of Marvel special. But like Morrigan2575 said, they'll make it up Thanksgiving week. Flash will likely air a new episode on the 25th, but Arrow won't on the 26th.

Edited by Starfish35

It seemed strange to me as well because of November sweeps (I didn't know about the elections). I thought they would proceed without breaks with Arrow, so I got confused about the crossovers lol. Thanks for answering :)

I'm not sure The CW is in reruns for The Election, the CW doesn't really follow the rest of the networks in that regard.  The CW has aired Supernatural against Presidential debates (and SPN's seen a ratings boost on those nights).  

Anybody remember when the main source of romantic tension on "The West Wing" was supposed to be between Josh and Mandy? Aaron Sorkin is really hoping you don't.

And yet, even when they got rid of Mandy, the show still managed to screw up Josh/Donna.

It's interesting that Sepinwall is reviewing The Flash regularly and Arrow only occasionally.

"Arrow's leading lady" I LOVE THAT.

I wish we got more on her backstory and her relationship with her mother, instead of the love interest(s) breakdown.  But I do like how she talked about Oliver.

• Love 3

And yet, even when they got rid of Mandy, the show still managed to screw up Josh/Donna.

It's interesting that Sepinwall is reviewing The Flash regularly and Arrow only occasionally.

That was because Sorkin didn't want to put Josh/Donna together he was fairly against it and because of that it got teased and dragged out way too long.  However, I was completely satisfied with the J/D ending in S7, it was very close to perfect, IMO.

• Love 1

I wish we got more on her backstory and her relationship with her mother, instead of the love interest(s) breakdown.  But I do like how she talked about Oliver.

Perhaps they're saving it for next week when her episode airs? I was pleasantly surprised to see interviews with her this week, in connection with her appearance on The Flash. I thought we'd only get them next week, in connection with Episode 305.

That was because Sorkin didn't want to put Josh/Donna together he was fairly against it and because of that it got teased and dragged out way too long.  However, I was completely satisfied with the J/D ending in S7, it was very close to perfect, IMO.

Sorkin can't write romance, as far as I can tell. He can do sparky, chemistry-laden snark very well, but actual romance? Nah. Look at his abortive efforts with Sam. First with Mallory, then Ainsley and finally Connie (very brief, that one). Sorkin seemed to lose interest completely. Same goes for Mandy, but Mandy was pretty awful. I never cared about Josh/Donna anyway, and found their relationship tiresome whenever it threatened to get 'real'. But in the shows Sorkin has done since, he's had all the same problems with the romantic side of things.

On Arrow, I've seen no evidence that they want the audience to forget that Oliver and Laurel were once in love. In fact, it seems to me that they are doing their best to try and sneak it back in quietly, building up their relationship 'organically', before going for the romance again. Won't work, but it's amusing to a lapsed viewer like me.

Sorkin had long left TWW when John Wells promised Josh/Donna shippers would be happy, and then completely screwed them over by spending the last season concentrating on the new president, with lots of time dealing with his relationship with his wife, and giving Josh and Donna a brief moment in the second last episode where they finally got together.

It's about what you promise vs what you deliver.  The EPs spend the summer playing up Oliver having real feelings for Felicity, and then as soon as they showed, Oliver shut down again.  No wonder EBR is talking about Felicity's feelings for Ray because he is someone who can support her when she needs it.

• Love 1

I hope not too much, because with these guys, I can sadly seem them going "Well, clearly fans don't like Nyssa, so we'll just have to kill her off, Sara-style!"  Thankfully, I do think they'll just use Game 7 of the World Series as an excuse, if the ratings drop.  I'm more curious about next week, since it's suppose to be Felicity-centric.

It all comes down if those people making these proclamations are Nielsen households. Yesterday you had WS who scored most probably around 6.0 then NBA game and for a male skewing show like Arrow it will affect the ratings.

Wait, I'm confused.  We think it's going to go down 0.2 or 0.3 to a 0.8/0.7?  Or are we saying that it is going down to a 0.2 or 0.3 rating in the 18-49 category?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.  It must be the first one, right?  

• Love 1

I usually listen to the cancelation bear *shrugs*

I find it's usually good policy. :)

I don't think a 0.2 adjustment downward would be unexpected. I think JTV was adjusted down 0.2 last week (or was it this week?) when the show was preempted in Dallas.

ETA: SonofaBiscuit, yes, the first one.

Edited by Starfish35

Oh no, it definitely wasn't due to Felicity fans that it went down, I was just noting that some people had declared that they wouldn't be watching that episode because of that.

I don't really get how rating work in the US. I'm pretty sure in the UK it's just the number of viewers and there's no such thing as Neilson, which I suppose makes things a hell of a lot easier to understand in my eyes. 

In the US its all about the demo. Great example is Harrys Law who would deliver 8-9 milion viewers for its episode but it only managed to get a demo between 0.8 -1.1. And NCIS has one of highest viewership numbers on network TV (17-20 mil viewers in the past). But shows like GA, Scandal, HTGAWM will get a higher ad rate for a 30 sec spot during the show airs.

CW press release

Note: The CW was preempted in Chicago last night for Bulls/Knicks, so these numbers may change this afternoon:

Last night's Arrow rose week to week, up +8% in total viewers (2.77M), +11% in A18-34 (1.0/4), and +11% in A18-49 (1.0/3). Arrow outrated NBC in the hour in A18-34.

THE 100 was also up over last week's season premiere, gaining +21% in total viewers (1.87M), +25% in A18-34 (0.5/2), and +20% in A18-49 (0.6/2).

For the night, The CW was up +13% in total viewers (2.32M) and +14% in A18-49 (0.8/2) over last week, and even in A18-34 (0.7/3).

Random, but: season 2 dropped a few weeks back on Netflix, making Arrow a legitimately bingeable product now (and word is spreading). The timing for my binge/discovery of the show meant that this week is the first week I am actually caught up. So there could be a netflix-inspired bump in live viewing.

• Love 1

Good for them. I know a lot of people are down on the show, and I have concerns too, but it's still my favorite show on TV right now, and I want it to stay on and keep healthy ratings so their budget doesn't get slashed.

• Love 2

On the other hand, as TV Guide's Matt Roush wrote

Even he notes a problem with the casting on Arrow.

And his solution is exactly what I'm seeing a lot of people ARE doing (i.e. focusing on The Flash as their escape from all of the yucky that's happening on Arrow) since I'm willing to bet the vast majority of The Flash's audience are already Arrow viewers. People are still watching Arrow, but based on what I've read on different boards (both comic-centric and non-comic-centric) and reactions to reviews on various sites, more and more seem like they're watching out of loyalty rather than because they're loving what they're seeing. I do have to wonder how long that will last though.

• Love 5

I really don't think the casting is better overall on the flash, I like all of the main cast except KC and most of the guest stars. I've warmed up to the flash but I'm not exactly invested. Part of this is a function of it's having been on the air longer but I find team arrow and Thea to be strong well drawn characters, who occasionally suffer from plot related dimness. The flash is mostly still superficial for me but I'm giving it a shot when I didn't think i would because I was pretty meh on Barry on arrow.

Now the decisions about which cast to kill off is a totally different story. I miss Moira and tommy.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 6

I'd agree with that. I'm enjoying The Flash, but the cast has not clicked for me the way the Arrow cast (with the exception of KC) did. The only standouts for me are Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, and Tom Cavanagh. There's no notable misfires like there was with KC (although I'm still on the fence about Cisco), but I'm not really connecting with most of the cast either.

• Love 6

I'd agree with that. I'm enjoying The Flash, but the cast has not clicked for me the way the Arrow cast (with the exception of KC) did. The only standouts for me are Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, and Tom Cavanagh. There's no notable misfires like there was with KC (although I'm still on the fence about Cisco), but I'm not really connecting with most of the cast either.

The problems with the Flash revolve around the leads, in my view. Gustin just isn't leading man material. From what I've seen, he simply cannot do anything with any gravitas at all. He's fine when he's being fun loving and carefree, and even when he's boyishly pining for his sister (yuck), but when he's trying to shout or threaten or angst over his father or some guy who died by mistake? Weak. He looks like a little boy playing at being an adult.

And Blaurel, as I'm calling Iris, is just another mistake by the writers. She's bland and forgettable, the third leg of a love triangle that really has no legs. She has no connection to any of the main storylines, that I can see. She's the mug who is being kept in the dark when everyone else is in on the secret, and the only ties she has are as the cop's daughter and as the hero's unrequited, icky love interest. Sound familiar?

I like Caitlin, a lot. I like Wheelchair Ed. I like Cop Dad v.2. But those three aren't enough to get me at all invested in a show.

I wouldn't say the acting is better on The Flash. If anything, it mirrors Arrow in that the older cast far outshines the younger. Barrowman, Thompson, and Blackthorne have/had always been the best actors on Arrow just like Martin and Cavanagh are on The Flash. The younger casts on both shows are hit or miss in pretty equal measure, IMO. Amell is a better actor than Gustin, but Candice Patton is a better actor than Cassidy (again IMO).

• Love 1

Amell is also slightly older than Gustin, so he has a few more years of experience on him in terms of professional acting. Actually gustin really shines in his scenes with Martin and Cavanagh.

Patton is absolutely better than KC in terns of acting, so i'm not crossing her out yet. I actually really want Iris to be the one to put the dots together and figure out Barry is the flash, unlike Fakanary having to be told.. by Slade- it will prove that she IS a smart young woman, and slowly putting the dots together will give her something to do this season; and i will call BS if it won't happen by early season 2- her finding out.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

I really don't think the casting is better overall on the flash, I like all of the main cast except KC and most of the guest stars. I've warmed up to the flash but I'm not exactly invested. Part of this is a function of it's having been on the air longer but I find team arrow and Thea to be strong well drawn characters, who occasionally suffer from plot related dimness. The flash is mostly still superficial for me but I'm giving it a shot when I didn't think i would because I was pretty meh on Barry on arrow.

I was iffy about Colton Haynes the first two seasons but they've hit the right note with him now. Other than KC, I think all the original main cast is good, and they hit gold with EBR and Caity Lotz.

I think that was Roush's way of agreeing with the questioner, that KC really is the weak link on Arrow, without coming right out and saying it. He's an old internet pro and I'm sure he's had lots of hate mail from fanatics who don't agree with what he writes.

On The Flash, Gustin isn't as good an actor as Amell (but then, neither was Amell in season 1) but I think he's just right for what they want from Barry Allen  The guy playing Eddie is pretty bland, but I have the feeling Robbie Amell is going to be the same too.  Candice Patton brings a likability to Iris that Laurel has never had and I think most of the problems with that character are in the writing.

• Love 4

Comparing the main counterparts I suppose: 

Stephen > Grant (but Stephen has also been playing Oliver longer AND he has more experience)

Blackthorne=Martin=Cavanaugh 

Ramsey=Cavanaugh (as the mentors of the group I suppose)

EBR > Panabaker + Ramon + Patton (as love interest) 

KC < Patton 

CH < Panabaker + Ramon

That doesn't even bring in Willa Holland who is a strong actress (stronger than Panabaker, Ramon, Patton) and John Barrowman who's just awesome. 

ETA: This is all just in my opinion lol

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4