Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Auditions #2

• Start Topic

(edited)

Another week, another ABDC alum in the group competition - two references if you include Jaja auditioning. All it's doing is making me wish ABDC was still around.

This episode was a mixed bag for me. None of the contemporary ladies stood out to me at all, but I thought the jazz-funk, Jaja, ballerina and popper were all fantastic. I don't entirely know how I feel about Fik-shun dancing with the popper during her audition - I hope she knows him, otherwise it just looked like he was trying to pull focus during her audition; though she was clearly up for the challenge.

Loved seeing Legacy again, even if I didn't recognize him at first. Though, seeing the battle between Fik-shun, Cyrus and Legacy made me wish Twitch was there so he could school them all.

I don't remember Christina Applegate crying at the drop of a hat when she's judged before. Maybe I'm just an uncultured, heartless rube, but none of the dances moved me to tears

Edited by Princess Sparkle
(edited)

The French dancer, Mary Poppins, was just wonderful to watch, and her audition got exponentially better when Fik'shun joined in. I'd forgotten how much charisma he has, and his technique has gotten even better. The two of them were a joy (and it looked like Cyrus and Legacy were a little jealous that they hadn't had the idea of crashing her audition themselves.)  It almost (but not quite) made up for having to watch Justin Bieber doing whatever it was he is doing on the show. I don't know because I muted the TV and walked out when he came on.

I thought the theme of the night must have been "fantasies come true," what with (1) the trainee from the Joffrey getting a big nod of approval from Fabrice and a promise that he'll know who she is the next time he sees her in the hallway; (2) the dancer from Wichita getting to battle with Cyrus, Fik'shun and Legacy; (3) the ballet dancer from last season getting a warm welcome and a ticket from the panel; (4) plus a few others I can't recall right now. Genuinely heartwarming in a way this show isn't, all that often. (Oh, I know it tries to be, but too often the tugging at the heartstrings is so obviously manipulative that it just makes me grumpy, not all "awww.")

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5
(edited)

Really, show?  You couldn't avoid showing a vomit scene?

Other than that, it was a good set of auditions.  Did we even see an entire audition for anyone who didn't at least go through to choreo?  Most just got tickets, with hardly any of the fake-out stuff going on.  

Favorite dancers of the night:

Franchesca - I loved her dance.  She's got beautiful legs.  Baldness aside, she really did have a bit of an alien quality in her movements.  I hope she lasts.

Deise (& Mauricio) - I love ballet, and I thought she was beautiful.  I'm sorry they didn't put together an audition that featured him a bit more, but maybe we'll see more of him in the next round.

Hailee - I was almost pre-disposed to dislike her when she made the first Miley Cyrus comparison, but her dance was really good.  

Dani -  I was as surprised as Christina Applegate when they didn't just give her a ticket.  I'm glad she made it through choreo.  

Jaja - loved her dance.  I hope she does well in the next round.

Puppet - odd, but interesting.  I doubt he'll make it to the Green Mile, though.

Please get Bieber off my screen. 

I don't remember Christina Applegate crying at the drop of a hat when she's judged before.

She was so emotional tonight she made Mary Murphy look like a stone pillar.  But then the two of them got teary-eyed and dragged me along with them, dammit.

The French dancer, Mary Poppins, was just wonderful to watch, and her audition got exponentially better when Fik'shun joined in. I'd forgotten how much charisma he has, and his technique has gotten even better.

I hadn't been too impressed with her, but Fik-shun brought out the best in her dance.  Yeah, he's got such a natural charisma and likability.  Loved seeing Cyrus and Legacy, too.  And I thought I saw Bryan Gaynor in the audience at one point.  I'm sorry we didn't get to see him dance again, too.  

Edited by ElleryAnne

I enjoyed it. I think  there are a number of dancers who might be known, besides Jaja. Not to me of course.

I also didn't need to see that guy puke on stage...at all in fact. yuck

Just saw a little: the ballet dancer who was in love was great, and a couple of the contemporary girls were really strong dancers.  I didn't feel much from them, though, including the one who said she liked being sexy on stage.   thought her movement was great, and I suppose some of her moves were sexy, but she didn't seem to be really delivering it, if that makes any sense.  I thought she was very internal, even though she was smiling and making eye contact.  Maybe some folks who swing that way could weigh in.  She was a beautiful girl, no doubt, I just wouldn't classify her as sexy.

I really enjoyed the guy from Wichita and I loved the "battle".  I agree with those upthread about Fik-shun.  He lights up the stage.  Legacy has never done it for me, but I was delighted to see Cyrus again.  I have a real soft spot for him on his own turf.

I'll have to catch up with everyone else tomorrow.

• Love 1

Ok, I rewound it and watched it twice so I could give an informed opinion and yes Virginia, Hatgirl did a striptease with some hairography thrown in for good measure.  She;s very charismatic all in all, but that dance was too provocative.  Don't mean too sound old but didn't have enough dancing in it.

I'm hoping against hope that the breaker/popper guys get gigs for the mechanic from Wichita.  he's good, but older folks who are self supporting can't always follow their dream of dancing, they gotta make rent. (unlike marketing major whose parents paid for college and now presumably are still paying for her to follow her original dream of dance.  She rubbed me the wrong way.)  All these kids think your dream means you make money from it.  That's not the way it is--you do it because its what drives you and its what you love doing.

• Love 1

Fikshun!  ZOMG he's so good.

I'm so happy they're not doing those annoying fake outs anymore.  The tap dancer was boring.  The ballet dancing lovers: she was good, he was not good at all, his footwork was extraordinarily sloppy and distracting.  I loved Jaja!

• Love 1
(edited)

Really, show?  You couldn't avoid showing a vomit scene?

Avoid showing? They showed it four times!

What I remember from watching: Totally unimpressed with fake Miley, and incredibly annoyed by her. Thought Jaja had the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen. Marry Pop-ins was incredible. Don't ever want to see ballet couple kiss again, and ballet guy in what looked like boxer shorts (from Switzerland) was phenomenal. I thought the tap dancer shouldn't have used music. She only took a few cues from it, so it made it look like she was unmusical.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1
(edited)

The ballet dancing lovers: she was good, he was not good at all, his footwork was extraordinarily sloppy and distracting.

I kept wondering if they were watching the same performance I saw. She was stunning and I thought he was "meh" at best.

Fik-Shun joining the popper didn't bug me because she came out into the audience to reach the judges. I thought it was a spontaneous moment that she seemed to enjoy as much as he did.

While I liked the returning ballet guy, he was no Chehon. If they had compared him to Danny or Will, my head may have exploded.

Edited by Heather Lynn
  • Love 3

I feel the show has a different aesthetic this season.  

I love that the judges actually say very concrete things during auditions.  I know it's crazy, but I hope they keep doing it all during the show.  I find myself wishing that they weren't casting a reality show, but are actually running a dance competition.

I loved tonight.

I thought Bieber was hilariously stoned.  Until the comment about his biceps, I wasn't absolutely sure that he wasn't just putting it on to feed his new f***-up image.

I want to know if Fikshun had never danced with her before.  That was all kinds of awesome.

(edited)

I'm like opposite girl today. I enjoyed Hailee (miley Cyrus girl) and the pseudo stripper Jessica. I thought the tap dancer was cute but I didn't catch if she made it. Jaja was awesome. I don't know why I can't get excited by many male ballet dancers, the soloist was great but I just wasn't blown away.

I haven't finished the episode yet though so I'll wait if I have anymore opinions nobody else shares lol.

Edited because I can't read.

Edited by Dejajeva

Totally unimpressed with fake Miley, and incredibly annoyed by her.

Oh My God. She was driving me up a wall. Her dancing was admittedly good but I do not want to have to deal with her personality for weeks on end if she makes to Top 20.

Overall I loved this episode. I was certainly more impressed with the dancers this time around. All the hip hop was great. I have been a JaJa fan for a few years so I knew she was going to be great. Marie Poppins impressed me as well. Something tells me they are going to get the "20th spot" edit and only one will make the cut.

The girl with Alopecia was a great dancer. As was the one with the eating disorder but I can't help but feel dirty watching this because I feel like neither one of them will make the Top 20. Like they are being used in some way. It just comes off like this show is using their stories to create drama and entertainment and that disgusts me as a person and I think the producers should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting people like this for viewers. IDK. Maybe I am overreacting about it but that's just how I feel right now. 

With all that is going with Justin Bieber this week(or year really), the last thing I want to see is his ugly mug on this program. This is terrible timing all around and he doesn't even seem that enthusiastic about having to do it anyway. 

I'm hoping against hope that the breaker/popper guys get gigs for the mechanic from Wichita. he's good, but older folks who are self supporting can't always follow their dream of dancing, they gotta make rent.

Me too. I'm so glad he got to dance with guys that he admired so much. I can't imagine he has much of a chance to do his thing working long hours & hanging out in Wichita.

I thought Bieber was hilariously stoned. Until the comment about his biceps, I wasn't absolutely sure that he wasn't just putting it on to feed his new f***-up image.

No kidding! I actually watched him this week & he seemed to have trouble reading the cue cards. As if he was actually struggling to figure it out. Why can't Cat just introduce the crews? Honestly I could do without the crews. Of the ones they've shown so far I just mildly liked the girl tappers. Tonight's two groups left me cold.

Overall pretty decent auditions. I'm so glad the horrible or embarrassing have been cut down to mainly a short group of clips. Fabrice is certainly a pretty man. I enjoyed looking, um I mean listening to him. I was slightly concerned with the bald girl's bra top. It didn't seem to fit as snugly as I thought it should. Thankfully it stayed put. And I liked seeing Legacy again just because it's him. Oh & quick glimpse, but Robert, Katherine, Marcus & Ellenore. Yea!

My biggest gripe of the night was Ms. Hair-Flip. *giggle* I can't help but be sexy *giggle* it just appears when I dance *giggle* it's not really me *giggle*. And then she proceeds to do the whole backwards chest out come hither move. Juxtaposed against the hairless girl doing her quirky, interesting routine I thought hair-flipper looked silly.

• Love 4

Is hair-ography really a thing?  I mean, is it actually taken seriously?  As in, it's choreographed and when you're in the studio, there's time devoted to learning how to flip your hair?

Hmm. I doubt it's taken seriously. I remember Heather Morris mocking it by saying it's something dancers sometimes do when they aren't very good dancers. Ryan Murphy even wrote an episode of Glee after hearing her describe it. 

• Love 1
I remember Heather Morris mocking it by saying it's something dancers sometimes do when they aren't very good dancers. Ryan Murphy even wrote an episode of Glee after hearing her describe it.

That Glee episode was my frame of reference, too, Turkish.  So, I assumed it was a joke.  However, it looked like the hair flipping was choreographed, practiced, and executed perfectly to me, which made me wonder if it was seriously one of the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

Maybe that was my issue with that dancer.  Again, I thought her technique and all were strong, but it was all a bit too studied --- no heart.

That Glee episode was my frame of reference, too, Turkish.  So, I assumed it was a joke.  However, it looked like the hair flipping was choreographed, practiced, and executed perfectly to me, which made me wonder if it was seriously one of the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

Maybe that was my issue with that dancer.  Again, I thought her technique and all were strong, but it was all a bit too studied --- no heart.

Oh, I think she was totally dead serious with her hair-flipping but something tells me she is the exception and not the rule. It's annoying and distracting either way. Just dance and quite trying to look sexy. I saw three or four dancers tonight trying way too hard with that and it does not endear me to them at all. 

Love Fiction.  He made the show for me.  He just has chemistry with everybody.

But there were a lot of good dancers that I look forward to see. I don't get excited too early because so many of my favorites don't make the top whatever.

I love that this show brings back alumni. I don't follow dance so it's always just so nice to see everyone.

Wow, some good performances tonight.  I really liked Paul the Puppet, but they really should have sent him through choreography, I doubt if he'll do well as a partner.  Does anybody know what the music was he danced to?

Loved Hailey/Not!Miley Cyrus, her personality was delightful.

Loved, loved loved Franchesca with no hair.  Nigel said he thought she was commercial, so they may want to bend over backwards to keep her around.

And oh my God, "Marie Poppins".  She was just a joy to watch, and so elegant.

Puppet guy is why the show is worth a damn.  Who cares if he gets bounced right away in L.A.?  He more than deserved that trip for his genius artistry.  Loved his attitude, as well.

One of my major peeves came up in this ep.  We had really good tapper, but off to choreo with her!  The very next (at least how I remember it) dancer we saw, from Czech Republic, did some amalgam of whatever that had el zippo to do with a partner and was whisked directly to the next round.   If it isn't about partnering skills and demonstrated proficiency in other disciplines, why are tappers nearly always consigned to choreo and these whatevers often sail right on through?  We did see the Czech girl on that crew, but again, in hold?  Not so much.

"Romantic" ballet couple was a complete head scratcher, as well.  She was quite something, but he was a mess.  My guess is that Uncle Nigel didn't want a darn thing getting in the way of the emotional frenzy the others had worked themselves into.

Marie Poppins was great at what she did, but again - where is the evidence she can begin to handle partners (especially as she is so tall)?  Heck yes to choreo, but I insist on more from these non-standard trained dancers.  Sauce for ganders and gooses and all.

• Love 5

Such a fun show tonight (minus the Bieber part)!

Marie Poppins was my favorite, and I think having Fik-shun join her worked to her advantage because it showed that she can (a) partner, and (b) freestyle, both good signs.

Jaja was also great, and the tapper girl, while not my cup of tea dance-wise, radiated such joy it was infectious. 

The popper from Wichita warmed my heart. I hope he can find at least a few like-minded people back home and dance with them for fun.

Agree with several posters above that the guy from the ballet couple wasn't that great. His arms were noticeably shaking when he lifted his partner. 

I think Puppet should have most certainly been asked to do choreography, but then again, they need dramatic footage during Not!Vegas Week of dancers who are way in over their heads.

Not!Miley Cyrus had too much of a Lacey Schwimmer attention whore quality for my liking. Also, bringing her "aunt" and "dad's friend" to the audition? Looks like a polyamorous household. 

Whenever a girl calls her own dancing "sexy" I know I'm going to hate it. It always looks tacky, and tonight's dance was no exception. 

Liked Franchesca's dancing, hated the way she spells her name. Italians would pronounce it "Frankesca".

Sebastian is my early fave, which means he'll get cut without even being shown again. I just love the ballet guys.

I don't remember Christina Applegate crying at the drop of a hat when she's judged before.

Isn't she going through a divorce or recently went through one? And probably the change as well.

(edited)
Isn't she going through a divorce or recently went through one? And probably the change as well.

She was divorced in 2007, remarried last year and is still with her current husband.

Edited by Decider
  • Love 1

It's a little far fetched, but maybe her emotional response to the eating disorder girl is because Christina relates to feeling "broken"? She is a breast cancer survivor and has had a double mastectomy.

• Love 1
(edited)

So the spousal unit watched before I did and was vigorously yapping about a girl who's dancing so reminded him of our daughter, his hint was that she'd danced with the Christmas Spectacular when she was 11.  I get to said dancer on the DVR and sit there, non-plussed watching hairogrophy trying very hard to see why he'd make such a statement, I guess it was the quality and style of when she actually danced and stopped trying so hard?  (still shaking my head!)

Loved the Joffrey girl, Yaya, Tap Girl, Sebastian and...  

Finally, Pay Dirt!  An audition by one of the many talented kids that my daughter trained and competed with for years.  That was exciting but I see nobody has commented about her here.  It was really fun to see her get a standing ovation and the "ticket straight to call-backs".  I wonder why they hold on to this lie?  Anyways, since she's not conventionally pretty, I won't be surprised if she doesn't make it into the top 20.  I also had to laugh when she dead-panned "there was no contemporary back then...."

Poor guy from Wichita looked so lost in choreography, the battle was fun, but yeah, would have been better with tWitch. Whom I'm assuming is far too busy these days to sit in a theatre all weekend for auditions. 

Additionally, laughs, I read "here's Danny's recap" and immediately got over-excited that it was Mr. Tidwell, silly me!

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

No one so far this season has really "grabbed" me.  But, in the spirit of full disclosure, I tuned out for the evening after the first vomit teaser.  I'm sorry, but showing something like this is absolutely, completely, 1000% unecessary. 

Maybe it was just me, but I could have watched an entire show comprised entirely and solely of Fabrice.  Y to the Yum!

• Love 4
Maybe I'm just an uncultured, heartless rube, but none of the dances moved me to tears

I think they would have brought me to tears if the screen hadn't been cutting away from the dancers to show us the judges' reactions - if a dancer is good, I don't need to see the judges smiling/crying/bopping their heads to tell me that. 

I think Mary doomed the "sexy girl" as soon as she said that she could win the whole competition. 

Gosh there were a lot of contemporary dancers doing twisty arm extensions while looking soulful. Do the show's producers think we'll be bored if we see good ballroom dancers?

And…cue sad music. I admit I defended Megan last week after her sad tale of being a foster child. This week, however, I draw the line at the eating disorder story. I found Megan to show a really lovely resilience (as well as solid skill) to counter her rough backstory whereas I just didn't feel it with this new girl.  I didn't think her skill was all that strong - YMMV - and therefore it was only her sad story that got her into the spotlight. It was exploitive, IMHO.

Jaja for the win!  (I wonder if she had family involved in Prague Spring back in '68? Would that get her any more votes? )

• Love 2
(edited)

Ah, deadpan girl.  She was one of the ones I thought was really strong, but who I wished would emote more.  I liked her routine - it was far more interesting than most ... reminded me a little of the friend's who auditioned with Katee, only her (deadpan girl) movement was much smoother.  I thought her deadpan was hilarious. 

I absolutely love Christina Appelgate as a judge.  I wish she were permanent.  When she said she always wanted to be a ballet dancer, she was so obviously sincere.  It is clear she loves dance.  Shouldn't that be a prerequisite for a judge?  If so, why do so many of the dummies they bring on fail that test?

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 1

I found hair flipping, stripping Jessica to be very entertaining and have no doubt she'll make the show, based on her looks if not her dance skills.  Also enjoyed Franchesca, Marie, and Jaja.

Fik-shun!  Such a cutie pie.  I'd carry him around in my pocket if I could.

• Love 2
(edited)
Here's Danny's post on the episode!

I appreciate having the links in this post a lot.  I am working my way through what I missed, and that Puppet Guy was amazing!  I don't mind him getting a ticket as a reward for his work.  I thought Mary's support of him was both sweet and coherent.  I don't believe for a second that he took someone else's spot at this stage, so what is the harm?  (JMO.)

What is the deal with Mary this season?  As someone upthread said, the judges critiques were terrific last night.

I didn't love Franchesca's audition (bald girl) but I did love watching Fabrice's reaction.  I'll have to assume that her technique was as awesome as they said.  She seemed to suffer saggy-head syndrome to me.  But she is striking and she has a great story.  Maybe not so much personality, but I'll bet she makes Top 20.

Was Marie Poppins really so good at popping?  I honestly don't know.  Not only do I not know what I'm talking about, I couldn't really see what her body was doing in that blousy top.  Whatever.  I loved her interview and personality, I loved the surprise of her popping to Sade and I floved her duet with Fikshun.  (If that was improvised, it's Fikshun who was the genius.)  For pure entertainment value, that duet was one of my all-time favorites.

On to more!

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
(edited)

Puppet guy is why the show is worth a damn.  Who cares if he gets bounced right away in L.A.?  He more than deserved that trip for his genius artistry.  Loved his attitude, as well.

Totally agree!  I love seeing the genuine people with 'unusual' dancing styles and normal, self-deprecating personalities,, actually get through.  I doubt he'll make it much farther, because I'm sure he can't do many other styles, and has probably never danced with a partner.  But, I'll enjoy seeing him until then.,

Marie "Mary Poppins" was delightful!  I love that she's older, and was just there to dance, not tell a sob-story.  She was good on her own, but was really on fire with Fik-shun.  He's just so adorable!  I was kind of pissed he won last season, but he's so charming, and his dancing has improved by miles, so I'm now feeling the love.

I thought eating-disorder girl (sorry, can't remember her name) was okay, not great.  But I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the main reason she made it through was because the 'jidges' were afraid that, if she got shot down, she'd go back into her downward spiral of depression, etc.

And speaking of 'jidges', not nearly enough Cat so far.

Edited by Kat From Jersey
  • Love 2

Isn't the straight through thing a myth and everyone has to go to choreography?  or is that the myth?

It's been pretty well documented that the singular auditions are the last thing taped.  All the rest, is the magic of editing for narrative.

if a dancer is good, I don't need to see the judges smiling/crying/bopping their heads to tell me that.

YES!  This drives me bonkers!  If a dancer is fantastic, I don't want to see the judges making an "ooh!  That's impressive!" face, I want to see the actual dance.

• Love 1

First what the hell was Mary wearing? A turtleneck with a sweater vest with a sparkly short skirt? Her hair is starting to veer into Charlie's Angels territory too. I think she looks good for her age but she just needs a stylist. Hell, let Cat style her!

Speaking of Cat, I loved when she asked the puppet guy if he had puppets. I really liked that the puppet guy said he was inspired by Bryan Gaynor. So sweet. It was a very fluid dance style that clearly he has put a lot of work into. While I love that Mary said they had to send him through because he's a genius, it made me defensive on behalf of all the breakers, krumpers, bone breakers, and street dancers who have NOT been sent straight through. Were they just not genius level?

I have a weird nitpick with that girl Emily who auditioned for the third time. Her explanation for not auditioning last year was that she "took a year off for business school." She's only 21 now (or at the time of the audition a few months ago). So she finished college at the ripe old age of 20 and then did a one year MBA? Or she is still an undergrad business major? Beacuse that's not the same as business school. And as much as I love that Olafur Arnalds song, people need to stop using it for auditions. I had mixed feelings about Emily. I felt like she had strong technique in her legs but that her arms/hands were weird. I thought she was just like every other contemporary dancer so I didn't think she deserved to go straight through to Los Angeles. Her little cousin was funny when she said she wanted a ticket though. She seemed totally unphased by performing in front of everyone too. She was such a little gymnast with her crazy hands. Someone tell Mary that those are back walkovers, not back layovers. I would have rather watched the three nameless dancers who auditioned right after and got sent to LA than watched all that time they spent on Emily and her cousin.

Franchesca had moments where she really committed to the movement and those were beautiful, but there were also moments where she didn't fully extend her arms or she seemed like she wasn't performing full out. I don't know if she was just nervous and forgetting to finish her movements or if that's all she's got. She does have beautiful lines with her legs. I hated that Nigel told her she had an alien quality. I don't think he would have said that if she had worn a wig and drawn on some eyebrows. I didn't think her dance was quirky enough to justify his comment. Ane his claim that her alopecia made her. Yes, because if she had hair, she wouldn't be an interesting dancer. I hate when he kisses ass to people like this. It's so patronizing. Notice that Fabrice gave her a sincere critique without sounding like a patronizing ass.

I loved Jenna the ballet girl fangirling over Fabrice. When I saw her dancing in the snow in an alleyway wearing shorts and a tank top, I thought giiiiiirl, don't do that! I agree with Nigel that she has a lightness and flow to her dancing.

I loved when Cat told the bopping guy that his contortionism makes her feel a little bit ill. She always finds the most charming way to tell people that they're freaking her out.

• Love 1
(edited)

So I must have ff'd through Emily and Franchesca (or maybe admittedly dozed off!)

Emily, that's funny her style actually DOES remind me of my daughter.  Franchesca was very good as well, I so wish, we'd just get auditions without back stories though.

I forgot to mention my appreciation for Mary Poppins too.

More ballroom please!

eta: Woops, I forgot to mention the unmentionable.  It looks to me that his contribution was recorded all at once, as he seems to be wearing the same thing so far?  I guess we'll find out as the auditions go on.  I think a lot of the ABDC alum will continue to be featured, we shall see!

Edited by NextIteration

I can't get mad about whether they send people to Callbacks or to Choreography because they don't really show the full process of auditioning. Still, I thought it was satisfying to hear Mary Murphy say "well, when people are good at their style we send them through" about the Puppet guy. 

I was definitely geeking out whenever they showed past contestants on the screen. I'm in my living room shouting "THERE'S LAUREN! THERE'S CLARICE! THERE'S ELLENORE!" like a crazy person.

Justine Lutz, deadpan girl, is my favorite girl so far. I thought she had the best audition choreography of the many contemporary girls we've seen this year. I also liked Dani's choreography, and I lost my cringe about her backstory when I saw her well put-together audition.

Saw Alex Kessinger in a montage. She is the girl from Green Mile last year that I suspected they cut at the last minute to include Jasmine Harper per Cat's insistence. I expect her to make it all the way this year.

Hailee's over-the-top personality reminded me of Amber Williams' original audition in Season 8, but I didn't think she had NEAR the technique/talent to back it up. We'll see what happens, but so far I'm not impressed. Was not a fan of the Joffrey girl, either. I'm convinced that they switched out her music for a different track post-production, because I didn't think her dancing went with Requiem for a Dream in the slightest.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was so absurdly excited to see Legacy on my screen. Kathryn was there.  I think if he had turned up at the choreo round and danced with her, I might possibly have passed out.  Best couple eva. I don't know why the show never has him back as an all-star.  I'm kind of tired of Dominic and even Twitch.  

I didn't think Franchesca was very good.  It felt like all the alien stuff was making up for the fact that her technique was just not that strong.  Nigel's reaction to her seemed very patronizing.  But Nigel. So of course.  Jessica Richens was gross and annoying. I'm not surprised Nigel liked her, but I was surprised to see Christina and Mary so taken with her.  Christina, especially, always seems to be about strong young women using their power rather than sex appeal.  There's nothing wrong with a young woman being sexy, but it all felt so calculated to me.  I'm surprised Christina went for the stripperography.  

Hailee's "quirk" was very studied to me.  It will get old. Fast.

I'm kind of tired of the 18 year old dancing nymphets. Yes, they're flexible.  Yes, their bodies can do amazing things, but there's just nothing behind the eyes most of the time.  So, we get clutching of the hair and reaching out and staring into the middle distance with a tortured look passing for emotion. It's very striking to me when we DO get a slightly older (if 24 can be "older") dancer.  There's just a maturity and weighty-ness that the younger girls just don't seem to have.  

Bieber.  Gah.  My 10 year old knows better than to use language like that.  His age at the time of those hideous videos is no excuse.  This show has always had more racial/ethnic diversity than just about any reality show.  It's showcased and celebrated styles that have come out of Africa or the African-American community.  They just lose a lot of credibility keeping Bieber on right now.  I would love it if they just quickly and simply cut his intros from the show.  They are pointless anyhow.

Edited by bourbon
  • Love 1

Marie Poppins' audition was the first one that I had to immediately go back and rewatch. That right there is what this show is all about, for me--love of dance, pure entertainment, and someone who, when challenged while doing a choreographed routine, goes with the flow and actually improves her performance.

It's funny: in her video, as soon as she said she was a street performer, I immediately thought of Fik-Shun. When she started her audition, I thought, "Hmm, not bad, but they'll probably send her to choreo, since they can't know how she'll be with a partner." Then she moved over to the judges, and I thought, "Smart move to do what you do on the sidewalks and work with the audience!" And then Fik-Shun came over and joined her, and she just elevated her performance to match his, and I just knew that they would send her straight through.

That is going to go on my Best Of Season 11 dvd at the end of the summer, for sure!

• Love 1

Bieber.  Gah.  My 10 year old knows better than to use language like that.  His age at the time of those hideous videos is no excuse.  This show has always had more racial/ethnic diversity than just about any reality show.  It's showcased and celebrated styles that have come out of Africa or the African-American community.  They just lose a lot of credibility keeping Bieber on right now.  I would love it if they just quickly and simply cut his intros from the show.  They are pointless anyhow.

I had heard about the racial slur incident in passing but hadn't put much thought into it because well I just figured "Yeah, that sounds like something Bieber would do". It wasn't until I actually watched the video that I truly got appalled by the whole thing. He doesn't just say it once, he says it multiple times making a parody song out of the whole thing. Then adding in lines about killing black people and the KKK. I just can't with him. Especially since he actually hasn't really sincerely apologized for it. His publicist released a long statement about it that their is no way he actually wrote himself. I saw his deposition from a few months ago. He does not have that big of a vocabulary. It pisses me off that SYTYCD decided to pander to their young teen girl fanbase by promoting him even further on this show. Terrible timing all around.

Was anyone else thinking Kherrington's sister before we saw Hailee's face?

That's who she reminds me of. Kherrington! Only IMO Kherrington was less annoying. 

I'm kind of tired of the 18 year old dancing nymphets. Yes, they're flexible.  Yes, their bodies can do amazing things, but there's just nothing behind the eyes most of the time.  So, we get clutching of the hair and reaching out and staring into the middle distance with a tortured look passing for emotion. It's very striking to me when we DO get a slightly older (if 24 can be "older") dancer.  There's just a maturity and weighty-ness that the younger girls just don't seem to have.

I agree. I feel like these girls have grown up on this show and just start auditioning right out of these competition schools as soon as they are old enough. They haven't really lived yet. IF that makes sense. They just do what they think the judges want to see. There is no real emotion to dancing that isn't faked. I swear all of these contemporary auditions are interchangeable most of the time. Every once in a while you get someone who is unique but it's rare and even then they usually don't get past the Green Mile for whatever reason. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed this ep more than last week's -- better pacing (though still slower than I'd like), and I was glad to see fewer family members on stage. I'm also glad to see fewer clunker auditions like in years past.

I think I enjoyed Kyle's audition the most (Wichita popper/animator), because he really stepped it up when joined by Fik-shun, Legacy, and Cyrus.

Fik-shun is SUCH a charmer!

I would love to see Fabrice on the judging panel again. Or pretty much anywhere.

• Love 4

"Sexy Girl" immediately made me turn up my nose, but then I recalled the season of Lauren Froderman, during which I wrote her off after giving a very sexy audition. Lauren then became one of my favorites that season. I'm giving Sexy Girl a wary side-eye for now.

• Love 3

I had heard about the racial slur incident in passing but hadn't put much thought into it because well I just figured "Yeah, that sounds like something Bieber would do". It wasn't until I actually watched the video that I truly got appalled by the whole thing. He doesn't just say it once, he says it multiple times making a parody song out of the whole thing. Then adding in lines about killing black people and the KKK. I just can't with him. Especially since he actually hasn't really sincerely apologized for it. His publicist released a long statement about it that their is no way he actually wrote himself. I saw his deposition from a few months ago. He does not have that big of a vocabulary. It pisses me off that SYTYCD decided to pander to their young teen girl fanbase by promoting him even further on this show. Terrible timing all around.

That's who she reminds me of. Kherrington! Only IMO Kherrington was less annoying. 

I agree. I feel like these girls have grown up on this show and just start auditioning right out of these competition schools as soon as they are old enough. They haven't really lived yet. IF that makes sense. They just do what they think the judges want to see. There is no real emotion to dancing that isn't faked. I swear all of these contemporary auditions are interchangeable most of the time. Every once in a while you get someone who is unique but it's rare and even then they usually don't get past the Green Mile for whatever reason. 

Anyone remember Mary "lecturing" the contestants from the stage, way back, Series 2 maybe, telling them NOT to do certain moves, like reaching into the distance etc etc -- exactly what so many of these girls continue to do. I wish she or Nigel would do that again.  All I see is competition dancers, stringing together these "gestures" and moves, checking the boxes so to speak.  I find myself getting up for a coffee refresh during their auditions.. seen it, got the Tshirt..

• Love 2
I would love it if they just quickly and simply cut his intros from the show.  They are pointless anyhow.

I am actually appalled they keep using Bieber.  I mean, he didn't even talk in this one.  Just have Cat redo the intros - they don't even say the name of the team, so you'd only need to get 3 - 4 shots.

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone remember Mary "lecturing" the contestants from the stage, way back, Series 2 maybe, telling them NOT to do certain moves

I remember one audtion where one of the judges walked into the waiting line and said "no fouettes". 

However, now I think they are just showing fewer of the contemporary girls and just montaging them. So the constant retread of the same choreography isn't so bad.

Edited by Skittl1321

I stopped watching after the first 20 minutes. This show is losing my attention so quickly. Bieber makes anything unwatchable.

Who threw up? I see you guys talking about it, and I think I heard Nigel ask for a trash can. Was it Uncle Nigel?