Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Richards: No Escape from Witch Mountain

• Start Topic

Seeing those pictures of Kim on the day after make me sad. You know she probably wanted to die when she woke (came to, whatever) and realized she had relapsed , for all the world to see.I'm sure she was trying to peice together memories of what went down the night before based on what she could recall/gather. And there she is smiling at SUR like her whole world isn't collapsing around her. God addiction suuuuuuuucks.

• Love 4

I hope there is no truth to the article and it is just RAdar recycling old news as they are known to do.

If it is truth then I do feel so bad for her child, not for her, but just for the child.

Depression is a terrible disease and having a mother like Kim surely didn't help at all. I hope the family pulls together and Kim's child receives the necessary help. This is so hard and IMO the reason why Kyle can't ever break away from the vicious circle with Kim.

Kyle adores Kim's children and they all seem very close to Kyle so it is not easy for Kyle to just take her toys and leave.

• Love 12

The ongoing trouble w/Kim's son makes me so sad.  Kim's kids have had to deal with her addiction, her need for them to support her, keep her secrets, and put way too much stress on them.  It seems her daughters have escaped, no unharmed, but able to carry on, but her son is somewhat trapped.  She needs (desperately) to have one of her kids to lean on, and sadly that child seems to be her son.  He feels responsible for her sobriety, her well being, and for a young adult who's already exhibited a tendency towards his own psychiatric demons, living with his mother doesn't seem to be the best environment.   It does to show her selfishness.  When her son is in desperate need of an adult to guide him, care for him,Kim's needs come first.   My son is a paramedic, and has relayed many stories of 5150 holds (involuntary psychiatric holds), where the "adult" is only concerned about how it will affect them.     The girls seem to have barely escaped the damage Kim has caused, but sadly her son is feeling the effect is mother, her desperate needs for support, and his inability to separate himself from his damaged childhood.    I could care less about Kim and her longing to revive her "fame" from childhood, but the damage she has caused to her children is unforgivable.  I have no sympathy for Kim, but my heart breaks for her kids.

• Love 14

Apparently one of Kim's kids was admitted to a psych facility over this weekend (presumably Chad):

Knowing Kim she'll blame this all on Eileen and LisaR for questioning her sobriety.  smdh

• Love 11

From Radar OnLine so consider the source and take from it what you will:

Apparently one of her children was admitted to a psych facility over this past weekend.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2015/03/kim-richards-child-psychiatric-facility/

If this is reliable info, this is very sad & serious.

Obviously poor mental health is affecting this family terribly. i hope they can get some much needed help.

I think this info (if accurate of course) is the premonition come to fruition that I posted a bit upstream. (Not like that it was much of a stretch.....all things considered)

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 3

If it is true, it coincides with this last episode, and watching his mother for two weeks in a row in full-on bitch mode, denying she has a problem, might have been more than they could take. If this isn't a wake-up call for Kim to get off this show and get her life together, nothing is.

• Love 9

I sincerely hope I am wrong, especially in regards to her children, BUT:

I have a strong premonition that we will be hearing a tragic headline revolving around Kim; sooner rather than later.

I have been expecting it for quite some time as well

• Love 2

I hope that isn't true about Kims child but if it is I wonder if Brandi "will be there" for Kim or will Kyle suddenly become like a real sister again?

Even with Kim and Kyle going through it Kyle loves Kim's children. She'll be there for them which is the important thing. I dont know if I put much stock in it since it is coming from Radar like I would TMZ reporting, I just hope it's not true especially since it seems like Kim doesn't handle these situations well.

If it is true, it coincides with this last episode, and watching his mother for two weeks in a row in full-on bitch mode, denying she has a problem, might have been more than they could take. If this isn't a wake-up call for Kim to get off this show and get her life together, nothing is.

I agree. I have a bad feeling she'll dive deeper into her drugs or alcohol just to surpass it.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 4

Not to be a jerk but they have the ages of Kim's children wrong.  According to Wikipedia, which apparently the news sources have been using, Kim divorced Davis in 1991, her fiancé was murdered in 1991 (this is accurate) and her children Whitney was born in 92 and Chad in 93.  I doubt she divorced Davis and went back and had two children with him.

I think Chad was 18 or 19 when filming began in 2010 so I think he is closer to 24 and Whitney is 25.  I think Kimberly is 20. 

Chad has been struggling for a very long time he never completed college went to live with his Dad until about three years ago. I must say, with all the Davis money, I am surprised they could not have found him a suitable residence that does not include, the vicious dog, the dying ex-husband and a mother in a slippery recovery.  This young man is first cousins with Jason Gummi Bear Davis, who certainly has had his own issues with substance abuse http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/09/jason-davis-shooting-heroin-his-foot-relapse/ .  They need to listen to HH and the history of substance abuse going back a hundred years.  I hope Chad finds the help he so desperately needs.

I must say I would think this is a good time for Kim to exit from the show.  There is just no way she can keep her secrets and run around claiming how other people are as sick as their secrets.

• Love 7

I have to disagree. These mental health issues have a strong hereditary basis. I doubt any of this has to do with the show.  

The ongoing trouble w/Kim's son makes me so sad.  Kim's kids have had to deal with her addiction, her need for them to support her, keep her secrets, and put way too much stress on them.  It seems her daughters have escaped, no unharmed, but able to carry on, but her son is somewhat trapped.  She needs (desperately) to have one of her kids to lean on, and sadly that child seems to be her son.  He feels responsible for her sobriety, her well being, and for a young adult who's already exhibited a tendency towards his own psychiatric demons, living with his mother doesn't seem to be the best environment.   It does to show her selfishness.  When her son is in desperate need of an adult to guide him, care for him,Kim's needs come first.   My son is a paramedic, and has relayed many stories of 5150 holds (involuntary psychiatric holds), where the "adult" is only concerned about how it will affect them.     The girls seem to have barely escaped the damage Kim has caused, but sadly her son is feeling the effect is mother, her desperate needs for support, and his inability to separate himself from his damaged childhood.    I could care less about Kim and her longing to revive her "fame" from childhood, but the damage she has caused to her children is unforgivable.  I have no sympathy for Kim, but my heart breaks for her kids.

We can't know the nature of the admission. I think to place blame on Kim is unfair. Most psychiatric admissions, especially involuntary, are related to psychosis. That is not caused by parenting, it is organic.

• Love 6

I have to disagree. These mental health issues have a strong hereditary basis. I doubt any of this has to do with the show

We'll never know. As someone who dealt with a parent who was a substance abuser, and having a sibling who inherited the manic depression and bi-polar disorder, it can go either way. You get tired of being embarassed, you get tired of dealing with the aftermath. Watching your mother deny she has a problem on national television, when you know otherwise, will often make one want to go into hiding.

• Love 6

And what's Kim supposed to do about that besides cry? She was hanging with Kathy 2 or 3 days ago though, so I'll assume they celebrated early.

Shes probably with Chad. Word is hes in a psychiatric hospital.

I can't think of anything less helpful for someone's mental health.

• Love 8

They don't send you to an acute psychiatric facility for substance abuse. If it's is a manic stage bi-polar or schizoaffective or psychosis of any sort, it isn't her fault.

I don' think it is Kim's fault and he has some strong genes on both sides of the family with a variety of mental health problems.   I just think they may be exacerbated living with Kim and all she has going on.

• Love 11

https://instagram.com/p/0LMDH4wfOD/?taken-by=montybrinson

Monty's cancer is growing again, he posted a long and touching post with this photo.

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer of the liver, outer pancreas and lung spots three years ago.  At one point she was on life support when they realized it had gone to her brain and was causing non-stop seizures.   It was doubtful she would withstand coming off life support.  That was two years ago, and although frail - she has survived to see a grandchild born.  Recently things have taken a turn for the worse, but she's still fighting on.   Hope and a good outlook do have results.

• Love 6

I don' think it is Kim's fault and he has some strong genes on both sides of the family with a variety of mental health problems.   I just think they may be exacerbated living with Kim and all she has going on.

I don't think it is Kim's fault either, but I don't think that she is equipped to be a support system for whichever child it is and that is if the story is actually true. I truly feel for her children because they really don't have her as an anchor or to act as any kind of supportive force in their lives.

Edited by MatildaMoody
  • Love 4

I don't think it is Kim's fault either, but I don't think that she is equipped to be a support system for whichever child it is and that is if the story is actually true. I truly feel for her children because they really don't have her as an anchor or to act as any kind of supportive force in their lives.

She struggles too. It is not at all unusual to have both a parent and their child be afflicted. Her illness is one of the reasons why I cant hate on her like others might. Nobody wants to have mental health issues and maladaptive behavior and impulse control are common manifestations. Substance abuse and the attempt to self medicate as a coping mechanism is a very prevalent comorbidity.It is devastating to all involved.

She would have limited visiting access. No more that a couple of hour a day.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 5

She struggles too.

I don't think she does honestly struggle, which is the problem; addicts struggling for sobriety go to meetings, follow a program, make amends, check self-indulgent impulses, fight to not give in to rage, self pity and blame, etc. Kim has done the opposite of all of that (and her pretense of sobriety is shameful, imo. When so many people have fought through and struggled on -- and still struggle to stay sober every day, many of them decades after their last pill, drink or needle -- those people deserve my respect and compassion and all the applause I can give them -- not Kim Richards. Not until she stops pretending to be sober and actually struggles to become sober -- until then , it feels like a kind of theft to me -- she's trying to steal or con by lying, the attention and admiration recovering addicts receive.)

• Love 17

Who's to say that addiction is her main affliction and not just a symptom?

I agree her addictions could definitely stem from her desire to self medicate for her mental issues. I just don't think that it is conducive to any kind of support she could offer her children or Monty. I also don't think that she should be on television while trying to come to grips with either her addictions or her mental issues. And being on television certainly doesn't help her children.

I wish Kim and her children a better reality. I just hope that she realizes they won't have one while being on television.

• Love 4

Who's to say that addiction is her main affliction and not just a symptom?

That's what I've always thought about Kim.   I believe she suffers from some medical or mental condition or both.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to even speculate what that might be but I'd guess that's how she began her pharmaceutical journey.  Adding alcohol to whatever drugs she was taking has nearly destroyed her.

• Love 5

As long as it prescribed by a Dr, Kim does seem to think it's connected with her addiction.  She definitely has a lot on her plate, but I don't think she's strong enough to handle Monty and her son.  Clearly she is estranged from Kyle, but I get the idea Kathy is too busy with her own life to babysit Kim.  Kim thinks Kathy "has her back", but it seems to be on Kathy's timetable.   Kim, like so many child stars, has failed to mature and grow.   She is pretty much in no condition to care for others.  Especially those who are deeply in trouble, or terminal - not to mention her decision to take back her dog.   All of this points to bad decisions that wont' end well for Kim.

• Love 3

Shes probably with Chad. Word is hes in a psychiatric hospital.

Psych stay is not the same as hospital stay. You don't get visitors any old time or people hanging out all day. There are specific times you can visit and it has to be o.k.ed by the patient. They don't let anyone in if it will upset the patient. There are also very specific times you can call (in or out) and calling in requires a password or code or you don't talk to anyone. These wards are locked and no one goes in or out. You're in therapy most of the day either in group or individual. So no, Kim isn't hanging out at the hospital.

• Love 2

I just looked at Kim's twitter page and yesterday she posted a happy birthday "to my beautiful sister who is always there for me KATHY HILTON".

Take that, Kyle!  LOL!

And that's her first tweet since February 19th.  Point being she is not a regular "tweeter" so clearly she is trying to make a point with that one.

(Kyle also tweeted birthday wishes to Hilton, about an hour later)

• Love 4

All the more reason to get into a program and get sober, imo.

No doubt. Sometimes it is much more complicated though. It's easy to say, much harder to actually accomplish sometimes.

• Love 1

Psych stay is not the same as hospital stay. You don't get visitors any old time or people hanging out all day. There are specific times you can visit and it has to be o.k.ed by the patient. They don't let anyone in if it will upset the patient. There are also very specific times you can call (in or out) and calling in requires a password or code or you don't talk to anyone. These wards are locked and no one goes in or out. You're in therapy most of the day either in group or individual. So no, Kim isn't hanging out at the hospital.

That's probably true for private facilities. State facilities, at least where, I live, don't have the staff to offer any activities on admission units. It is a tragic, impoverished environment. There is literally nothing for these patients to do. It increases aggressive outbursts. It is so very sad. There is very little in the way of therapy, mainly medication management and warehousing.

• Love 3

No doubt. Sometimes it is much more complicated though. It's easy to say, much harder to actually accomplish sometimes.

I think (from the wonderful posts people have written in the episode thread, the info about addiction posted there,  etc) all of us know how difficult the journey to sobriety can be and how complicated the process, whatever mental health issues the addict is experiencing (and I've yet to meet an addict who does not have some kind of mental health issue -- balanced and happy people do not routinely become addicts).  My initial point was (and remains:) that Kim Richards has not struggled, she has indulged her worst addictive impulses -- and done so as a privileged white woman with every resource at her fingertips -- so I don't see a struggle, I see an insistence on being praised for sobriety, while behaving like an addict. Her children are struggling, imo, not Kim.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 16

I think (from the wonderful posts people have written in the episode thread, the info about addiction posted there,  etc) all of us know how difficult the journey to sobriety can be and how complicated the process, whatever mental health issues the addict is experiencing (and I've yet to meet an addict who does not have some kind of mental health issue -- balanced and happy people do not routinely become addicts).  My initial point was (and remains:) that Kim Richards has not struggled, she has indulged her worst addictive impulses -- and done so as a privileged white woman with every resource at her fingertips -- so I don't see a struggle, I see an insistence on being praised for sobriety, while behaving like an addict. Her children are struggling, imo, not Kim.

Agreed.  And I've known a lot of people with mental health issues, in hospitals/group therapy and in every day life, and a pretty much everyone I've known, save for a select few (whom I have cut all contact with because, like Kim, they were toxic people), have been all-around decent human beings, with a conscious and a caring heart, even as they, themselves, struggle with various degrees of insecurity/self-loathing.  Just as with Brandi's "anxiety" excuse that she trots out to explain her pill popping, drunken, rude behavior, I find it misleading and a disservice to lay Kim's terrible, awful personality at the feet of mental health issues.  She probably does have mental health issues alongside the substance abuse.  Very, very common.  Don't think I've ever known anyone who hasn't dealt with both.  But Kim is also a nasty, malignant person who treats other people terribly.  Those things shouldn't be conflated and confused, imo, ymmv.    

I say all of this because this conflation can cause a misunderstanding about mental health disorders, where people think that those who suffer are always going to be hurtful and toxic to other people because of their disorder, when most people with mental health disorders are non-violent and caring individuals.   

Edited by SwordQueen
  • Love 8

I see a struggle.  A heartbreaking struggle after a completely whack childhood.

We only see glimpses into their lives.

I don't think Kim is a nice person, but then I read some of Monty's posts on instagram.  I also can easily see how she was messed up at an early age, and never really recovered from that.  I do sense underlying psychological or mental issues, and tend to think that, at least part of her addiction issues have something to do with self medicating.  The old nature or nurture question comes up a lot when I think of Kim, probably because, in her situation, it's both.

I don't think she took Monty in because of easy access to drugs.  For one thing, there is absolutely nothing "easy" about watching someone you love suffer and die.  Nothing.  It doesn't matter how often he is there, or if he goes to Vegas or somewhere else during times when he is feeling better.  He comes home, and he is dying.  He got an unexpected temporary reprieve, but that surprise remission is now over, and death is imminent.  Her children are losing their dad, she is losing her long time best friend, and Monty is losing his life. 

Her child (probably her son, since apparently this happened before) is in serious trouble, maybe he suffers from something similar to Kim?  Who knows, either way, her life is hell right now, and I am sorry about that. 

For all we know that patch she's wearing is a Nicotine patch, she's obviously a smoker, and if she did have pneumonia issues (certainly not uncommon) then she may have had to give up smoking during the worst of it.

Kim's a bitch, and so is Kyle, but somehow I have more sympathy for Kim, I believe she IS fighting for her sobriety, and many do slip, with much less on their plates than Kim has at the moment.  As far as her other medications?  To me, that just indicates that she does have other issues, anxiety at the very least.  Taking drugs for that is not about addiction, it's about being able to function, because somewhere, Kim's wires are crossed.  She coped before with booze or drugs, and while some may think it's just "Dr. Feel Good" prescriptions, it's also possible that honest physicians are trying to find the correct balance to help her function.  Not all of us are born fitting into the "normal"  slot.

My guess is bi-polar issues, because I've dealt with a friend who had them, and killed herself during a "down" time.  She used alcohol and other drugs as well to try and cope before she was diagnosed, and her symptoms seemed milder than Kim's, but similar ego issues and jumps between highs and lows.

• Love 3

I don't believe Kim took Monty in because of the drugs.  I think the stress of the reality of his illness and the easy access to drugs was too much for her and she's not working a program and hasn't built a community of support to fall back on when she needs it.  It's not that I think Kim is incapable of loving people.  It's that her love is self-serving.  From what I've observed over the years, Kim loves people who give her good feelings about herself.  When she talks about those that she loves, it's about how they make her feel about herself, not necessarily qualities those people possess that she loves, admires or how she is able to bring positivity into their lives. 

This is the reason I think she flips on Kyle so much.  When Kyle challenges her on her relapses and her attitude, or holds expectations for Kim that Kim doesn't like, Kyle is no longer making Kim feel good about herself.  So, therefore Kyle is not being "loving" or "supportive" towards Kim, which is a betrayal, in her mind.  To love Kim and to be loved by Kim is conditional on how good you make her feel.  That is why there isn't ever "enough" for Kim.  Kim needs a continuous supply of love, attention, support, and approval in order to love and feel loved.  It's very one-sided and not very stable because no one can give that much to one person without burning themselves out, which also means no more supply.  She's an exhausting person to be around and I feel drained just from watching her on TV.  From knowing people like her in real life, I know how utterly exhausting it is to have to continuously give and give. 

Sure, the mentally ill run the gambit of personalities like all humans. My experience in the field gives me a different perspective than many might have and I understand that.

Mine does, as well.  ; )

• Love 13

Lisar ended her blog with “Love me when I least deserve it, because that’s when I really need it.” -Swedish Proverb

I wonder if she was thinking of Kim or just everyone in general...or maybe herself.

Edited by SoCal4Us
  • Love 4

I say all of this because this conflation can cause a misunderstanding about mental health disorders, where people think that those who suffer are always going to be hurtful and toxic to other people because of their disorder, when most people with mental health disorders are non-violent and caring individuals.   

That's an important distinction, one that also (less often) applies to alcoholics and some addicts. My family is riddled with alcoholics (and one pill junkie, and another member who had electric shock in the late sixties -- so much misery) and the two family members who could repeatedly drink an enormous amount -- until they were falling down drunk -- were complete opposites. One was vicious and constantly cruel, and the other was quiet and withdrawn and bone-deep sad, with no (visible) anger about him. It had all turned into paralyzing depression and a drop by drop, painfully slow suicide. (He got clean, and became a much beloved sponsor -- he's dead now, but I consider it an honor to have known him. The other became a dry drunk, which was a truly special hell.) So all drunks are not mean drunks, and all addicts are not violent -- if the drug is legal, that seems to make a big difference in how that plays out --  but I will say this, I never met a dry drunk who wasn't a total asshole.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8

That's an important distinction, one that also (less often) applies to alcoholics and some addicts. My family is riddled with alcoholics (and one pill junkie, and another member who had electric shock in the late sixties -- so much misery) and the two family members who could repeatedly drink an enormous amount -- until they were falling down drunk -- were complete opposites. One was vicious and constantly cruel, and the other was quiet and withdrawn and bone-deep sad, with no (visible) anger about him. It had all turned into paralyzing depression and a drop by drop, painfully slow suicide. (He got clean, and became a much beloved sponsor -- he's dead now, but I consider it an honor to have known him. The other became a dry drunk, which was a truly special hell.) So all drunks are not mean drunks, and all addicts are not violent -- if the drug is legal, that seems to make a big difference in how that plays out --  but I will say this, I never met a dry drunk who wasn't a total asshole.

Sadly, there are no absolutes in addiction or mental illness I guess.  What does "dry drunk" mean?

ETA - I just looked it up and found Dry Drunk Syndrome.  Yikes!

Edited by SoCal4Us
  • Love 2

Sadly, there are no absolutes in addiction or mental illness I guess.  What does "dry drunk" mean?

If you do a web search, you'll find tons of in depth info, but very briefly -- a dry drunk is someone who has stopped drinking, but has not done the real work (emotional, psychological and for many, spiritual) of getting sober. In recovery circles,  the expression is "A dry drunk is someone who hasn't had a drink in weeks/months/years, but has yet to spend one day sober."  Because sobriety isn't just the absence of alcohol, it's a state of being as well.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6